Copyright
Henry. 4n Haymond.

History of Harrison County, West Virginia : from the early days of Northwestern Virginia to the present online

. (page 1 of 52)
Online LibraryHenry. 4n HaymondHistory of Harrison County, West Virginia : from the early days of Northwestern Virginia to the present → online text (page 1 of 52)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Historysii



Ml'" ' 'uM






Harnson Count









IBHHi"



II'

lA'*, Si'^**' 'i;i"i'



!enr? Havmond















Gc M, L|

975.401 I

H24h

1759899



GENEALOGY COLLECTIOM



COUNTY PUBLIC UBRARY




3 1833 00826 8861




Fourth Court House, Built in 1888.



HISTORY



OF



HARRISON COUNTY



WEST VIRGINIA



BY

HENRY HAYMOND



From the Early Days of Northwestern
Virginia to the Present.



ILLUSTRATED



ACME PUBUSHING COMPANY
MORGANTOWN, W. VA.



HamtT Hatmond

101O



reprinted by

Mcclain printing company

parsons, west virginia

1973



1759899




COL. HENRY RAYMOND
BY JACK SANDY ANDERSON



Col. Henry Haymond was born at Clarksburg, Harrison
County, Virginia, now West Virginia, on January 6, 1837, a
son of Luther and Delia Ann (Moore) Haymond, both of
whom belonged to families prominent in the settlement and
early development of the West Fork Valley. He was educated
at the Northwestern Virginia Academy and the Loudoun Ag-
ricultural Institute. He studied law with and was in the office
of Judge John S. Hoffman until 1861 when President Lincoln
appointed him captain in the Eighteenth Regiment, U. S. In-
fantry. During the Civil War he took part in the campaigns of
the Army of the Cumberland and participated in the battles
of Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Hoover's Gap, Chat-
tanooga, Missionary Ridge, Corinth, Buzzard's Roost, and
various skirmishes and expeditions. He was wounded at Stone
River on December 31, 1862, and was brevetted major and



lieutenant colonel for bravery in the battles of Stone River
and Chickamauga. He remained in the army until 1870 and
served in several Indian expeditions on the plains of Wyo-
ming, Dakota, and Nebraska.

In the years following his retirement from military life, he
held many important positions of trust and responsibility:
member of the board of visitors to the United States Military
Academy at West Point; member of the state legislature; pres-
ident of the board of education; deputy collector of internal
revenue; clerk of the circuit court of Harrison County; and
recorder of the city of Clarksburg, In 1896 he was a Republi-
can presidential elector, and was made chairman of the elec-
toral college.

Colonel Haymond was an active member of Custer Post
No. 8 of the Grand Army of the Republic and served as its
commander. He was also active in the West Virginia Society
of the Sons of the Revolution, an organization in which he
was charter member number seven. He was its first secretary,
serving from 1894 to 1897, and in 1904 was honored by
being elected its fifth president. From 1905 to 1908 he
served as its historian, a position to which he was again
elected in 1916 and which he held at the time of his death.

From childhood he had a deep interest in the history of
the West Fork Valley and the role played by his forebears, an
interest that in time led him to become one of the area's
most eminent historians. Through the years he wrote nu-
merous historical articles for newspapers, and in 1910 pub-
lished his excellent History of Harrison County.

On December 12, 1867, he married Mary (1847-1938),
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Garrard, of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania. To them was born one child, Delia, who mar-
ried Benjamin Rathbone Blackford and resided in Parkers-
burg.

Although he lived to an advanced age, Col. Henry Hay-
mond remained in good health until a few days before his
death. He died at his home, 529 West Main Street, Clarks-
burg, at 5:29 in the afternoon of Saturday, July 31, 1920,
and was buried in the l.O.O.F. Cemetery at Clarksburg.



PREFACE

The period between 1900 and 1910 in Harrison County
was similar to the 1970's for rapid change. Population grew
from 27690 to 48381. Clarksburg started the decade a quiet
rural town and ended the decade a booming industrial center.
Older people living in such a time are motivated to save in the
printed word a world that is sHpping away. Fortunately,
Henry Haymond was the man who took up his pen circa
1905 to preserve the early history of the county.

Mr. Haymond with the realistic, logical, discriminating
mind of the lawyer researched records in county courthouses
and the archives of the states of Virginia and West Virginia.
Other researchers could yet today collect the same material
from legal records, but no one could flesh out the skeleton of
historic fact as did Mr. Haymond.

A member of a family of first settlers in the Monongahela
Valley, he from early childhood had heard the traditions of
the area. Alive when he wrote were historians Lucullus V.
McWhorter, Virgil Lewis, Hu Maxwell— men with whom he
conferred. He need travel only a few doors away to talk with
his father. Col. Luther Haymond, who had lived the history
of the county since the first decade of the 1800's. He had
accessible the private papers of the Haymond family.

Henry Haymond orients today's researchers. For example,
when the court record says in describing the site of the sec-
ond courthouse, "at the corner a brick house is built six poles
from the intended Court House," a researcher can go to
Henry Haymond who adds, "The brick house referred to was
the famous Hewes Tavern which stood. ..." Henry Haymond
at the age of twenty-four had watched the citizens wave
good-byes to Clarksburg boys marching east on Pike Street to
join Confederate troops in Grafton and knew the boys who



caught a train to go to Wheeling to join Union forces, local
scenes he— but no other historian— has described. His work is
both a primary and a secondary source book.

The general reader finds Mr. Raymond's lean, terse style
pleasing. The first edition of Raymond was not indexed. This
handicapped the reader. A reprinted issue of Raymond with a
name index is welcomed.

Dorothy Davis



to those brave men and stout hearted women
who crossed the almost impassable barrier of the
Allegheny Mountains and cheerfully faced the
dangers and deprivations of frontier life and the
horrows of a savage warfare; hewed out homes
for themselves in the great woods and made the
wilderness blossom as the rose, this work is
gratefully dedicated.



PREFACE



In preparing a history of Harrison County, West Virginia, no literary
merit is claimed as it is only a collection of events gathered from many
sources, such as the records of the Courts, old letters and newspapers,
books of a historical nature, and traditions that have been handed down
from early times.

When Harrison County was created by an act of the Virginia As-
sembly in 1784, it extended over that vast territory reaching from the
Maryland line to the Ohio River, with a front of sixty miles on that
stream and including the upper waters of the Monongahela River, all of
the Little Kanawha and portions of the waters of the Big Kanawha.

To give an account of the efforts and trials of the early settlers, to
establish homes for themselves, and organize a stable government in this
vast wilderness, is an undertaking of patient research and great labor,
and the writer is painfully conscious of his inability to perform it ad-
equately.

It has been the object of the writer to preserve all he could obtain, as
to the early settlement of the County, and the customs and manners of
the settlers, their food, furniture, clothing, houses, diseases and amuse-
ments before the records are destroyed and before the traditions pass
from the minds of men.

This has been deemed more important than recent events as they
can be established by more and better records than those of an earlier
date.

The writer is indebted to the following works for valuable informa-
tion in the preparation of this volume : V. A. Lewis ' Reports as State
Historian, Withers Border Warfare, DeHass' Indian Wars, Doddridges'
Notes, History of Randolph County by Hu Maxwell and of Upshur Coun-
ty by W. B. Cutright, the history of Monongalia County by Wiley the
rending of Virginia by Hall, and Thwaites Edition of the Border War-
fare.

It is the writer's pleasure to acknowledge aid and assistance from
Hon. Hu. Maxwell, Virgil A. Lewis, L. V. McWhorter, Hon. B. F. Shuttle-
worth, John Bassel and Luther Haymond.

If in this work the writer has succeeded in making the events sur-
rounding the early history of his native County of interest to the reader
he will feel that his labors have not been in vain.

Henry Hatmond.
Clarksburg, West Va., 1909.



I



TABLE OF CONTENTS



PAGE

Early Discoveries 1

Th« Aboriginees 3

Settlement of Virginia 6

The Frencli and Indian Wars 9

Early Settlements West of the

Mountains 16

Indian Tribes 54

Early Indian Troubles and Dun-

more's War 55

Indian War& 58

Incidents Connected With Indian

Wars 140

The Revolution 146

Formation of Counties 157

Land Laws 162

Cession of the North West Ter-
ritory 163

The Mason and Dixon Line 164

The Great Woods 166

Native Animals and Birds 168

Life of the Settlers, Houses, Wed-
dings, Amusements and Dis-
eases 171

Climate and Natural Phenomena. .184

Courts 188

United States Courts 192

County Courts 193

The Board of Supervisors 233

Criminal Court 234



PA6K

Court Houses 235

Jails 242

Constitutions 244

Conventions and Legislatures 248

Roads 251

Clarksburg 254

Census of the County 274

County Districts and Townships .. 278

Churches 279

Schools 286

Newspapers 295

Slavery 302

The War of 1812 306

The Mexican War 312

Civil War 315

The Spanish War 331

New State 332

Incorporated Towns 340

Governors and Officials 349

William Raymond's Letters 352

Sketches of Pioneers 369

Indian Cave 396

Fourth of July Celebration 399

Banks 403

Whiskey Insurrection 406

Elections 409

Adjutant General's Report 413

Miscellaneous 426



Early Discoveries,



There has always been in the human race an instinct which has drawn
it westward. The cradle of mankind is said to have been in Asia, and since
then men have moved steadily toward the setting sun to occupy the virgin
lands which lay in that direction. From the mysterious bee hive of the
Orient races moved on to Greece, Rome, the German Countries, to France,
Spain and then to England, where for centuries the stormy Atlantic
checked their onward march.

After the discoveries made by Columbus the movement again began
across the Ocean to Mexico, Florida, Virginia, Massachusetts, and South
America, and after that the phrase "Go West young man" is but a mani-
festation of the principle that for many centuries has controlled the minds
of men.

When Columbus from the deck of his little ship the Santa Maria on
that October night, in the year 1492, saw a light in the hut of a savage on
the island of San Salvador, one of the West India group, the entire con-
tinent of North America had for countless centuries been wrapped in the
gloom of a savage night.

No monuments or inscriptions have been left to enlighten the world
as to the history of the human race who occupied it. Nothing is known
as to what was accomplished or what problems in the destiny of mankind
had been worked out on its lonely shores. The curtain upon this broad
tlieatre of human action has been rung down upon the scenes enacted
upon its stage, and what there transpired must ever remain enfolded in
mystery.

The earthern mounds of the race known as Mound Builders and the
shadowy traditions of the red men are all that are known of the races
inhabiting the continent previous to the coming of the white man.

In 1497 John and Sebastian Cabot sailing under a commission from
King Henry the Seventh of England, reached the main land as far North
as Labrador and sailed down the coast as far South as North Carolina,
and took possession of the country so explored in the name of that Mon-
arch, and this was the foundation of the English title, priority of actual
landing and possession.

For nearly a century after the voyage of the Cabots, England
neglected to exercise any control over this newly found land, but stepped
aside and permitted France and Spain to struggle for possession of the
continent.

In 1512 Ponce DeLeon took possession of Florida, in 1521 Cortez in-
vaded Mexico, both in the interest of Spain.

In 1534 Jacques Cartier discovered the mouth of the St. Lawrence,
sailed up that river and took possession of all the territory drained by
that mighty stream in the name of France.

In 1541 Fernando De Sota marched from Florida to the Mississippi
River reaching it at a point just below where Memphis now stands, and
claimed the country for Spain.



2 HISTORY OP HARRISON COUNTY

In 1562 a colony of French Huguenots established themselves at St,
Augustine in Florida, which was broken up and dispersed by the Span-
iards in 1565.

In 1669 La Salle, a French explorer starting from Canada passed
down the Allegheny and descended the Ohio River as far as the falls,
now Louisville.

In 1673 Father Marquette, a French Missionary and Joliette an In-
dian trader, discovered the Mississippi at the mouth of the Wisconsin. In
1682 La Salle descended the Mississippi River to its mouth.

From these explorations and discoveries France laid claim to that
vast region watered by the Mississippi and St. Lawrence rivers, and ex-
tending from the Allegheny to the Rocky Mountains and from the lakes
to the Gulf of Mexico.

Thus the continent of North America became a bone of contention
between France and Spain without regard to the claims of England.

England at last became aroused as to the importance of asserting her
claims to the New World and during the latter part of the 16th Century
she sent out expeditions to explore the land, which had been discovered
by the Cabots.

These voyagers, upon their return gave a glowing description of the
new land, as to its climate, trees, fruits, flowers, birds of gorgeous plum-
age, graceful animals, gentle inhabitants and productive soil, as seen from
the green shores of the sea.

The interior they said was a realm of majestic forests, blue moun-
tains filled with gold and jewels and rivers flowing over golden sands, and
somewhere far off in the direction of the South sea was the famous foun-
tain of youth, in which the old had only to bathe, to grow young again.

These reports excited great interest in Europe and conveyed the im-
l)ression that a paradise had at last been found on earth.

Elizabeth who was then Queen gave it the name of Virginia or the
Virgin land.

In 1585 under the auspices of Sir Walter Raleigh a colony was lo-
cated on Roanoke Island in Albermarle Sound, but it was soon abandoned
and the settlers returned to England.

In 1587 a second one was founded in this same locality and when
the Governor, White, returned from England where he had gone for sup-
plies, no trace of the colonists numbering one hundred and seventeen souls
could be found, and ever since their fate has remained a mystery. It was
in this colony that the flrst English child was bom in America, Virginia
Dare.

MOUND BUILDERS.

An artificial Mound stands on an elevation overlooking the river about
two miles from Clarksburg near the Milford road.

It is supposed to be the work of that extinct race the mound builders.

The land on which it stands belongs to the Goff family and is known
as the "Mound Farm."

The mounds built by this mysterious race were for defense, religious
rites and burial purposes.



HISTORY OF HARRISON COUNTY



The Aboriginees.



The Indians of North America lived in the hunter state, and depended
for subsistanee on hunting, fishing and the spontaneous fruits of the
earth. Where climate permitted some tribes cultivated corn, long pota-
toes, pumpkins and squashes. They did not know the use of metals, and
all their weapons and tools were made of wood and stone. They also made
a rude kind of earthern vessels and their clothing was the skins of wild
beasts. They had no flocks, herds or domestic animals of any kind, the
horse and the ox being natives of Europe and not found in America.

Their government was a kind of patriarchal Confederacy. The small
villages or families had a chief who ruled or controlled it, and their sev-
eral bands composing a nation had a chief who presided over the whole.

The Powhatan Confederacy in Tide Water, Virginia, South of the
Potomac, was composed of thirty tribes or villages numbering a popula-
tion of about 8000 being one to the square mile, and capable of putting
2400 warriors in the field.

The tribes on the head waters of the James, Potomac and Kappahon-
nock North of the falls of these rivers were hostile to the Powhatans and
were attached to the Mannahoacs.

Jefferson says "Westward of all these tribes, beyond the mountains
and extending to the great lakes were the Massawamees a most powerful
confederacy, who harrassed unremittingly the Powhatans and Manna-
hoacs. These were probably the ancestors of tribes known at present by
the name of the Six Nations.

At the time the Territory of West Virginia was first known to the
whites all sources of information agree that there were no permanent
towns within its boundaries, that it was a kind of a "No man's land."

There were probably at all times small parties and families living in
rude wigwams scattered along all the principal rivers of the State en-
gaged in hunting, who had their permanent homes west of the Ohio.

Their camping places were known by the first settlers as "Fort
Fields," and to this day arrow heads, stone hatchets, bones and mussel
shells, charcoal and pottery are still turned up by the plow.

The burying places were often on high hills and the burial seems to
have been made by covering the body with a heap of stones.

Unless the old fields of Hardy County were planted by the Indians,
it is supposed that no crops were raised in West Virginia. This is owing
probably to the dense forest which at that time covered the Country and
to the great labor necessary to clear off the timber, as the Indians were
never known to engage in anything requiring regular and prolonged
hard work.



HISTORY OF HARRISON COUNTY



The flint out of which their weapons and tools were made is found in
Ritchie, Randolph and Pocahontas Counties.

While they constructed no roads they had regular routes of travel,
which were beaten into well defined paths by the passing feet of many
generations of pedestrians, which were as plain to the Indian as a turn-
pike to the White Man.

As they had no beasts of burden the labor of moving where all their
effects had to be carried on their persons must have been considerable,
but this work fell to the lot of the squaws.

On some of the streams canoes were used when the depth of the water
permitted.

The Catawba War Path or Warriors Road as it was sometimes called,
led from Western New York by way of Fayette County, Pa., crossing the
Cheat at the mouth of Grassy Run, through the Tygart's valley to the
Ilolston River. Over this route the Six Nations traveled in their wars
against the Southern Indians.

A branch of this trail bore South West from McFarland's on Cheat
to the Monongahela, down Fish Creek to the Ohio River, thence through
Southern Ohio to Kentucky.

An Eastern trail was up Fish Creek from the Ohio down Indian and
up White Day Creeks and on to the South Branch Valley. Other trails
ran East from the Tygart's Valley to the South Branch, that known as
the Seneca being the principal one.

A trail ran up the Big Kanwaha and reached into North Carolina,
and one ran up the Little Kanawha thence to the waters of the West Fork,
up Hacker's Creek, through the Buckhannon country to the Tygart's
Valley.

The settlements that were made on and near these trails by the whites
were subject to repeated raids from the Indians beyond the Ohio and suf-
fered severely from them.

The trails leading from the Ohio East were well known to the early
settlers, and scouts were posted on them near the Ohio to give the alarm
to the settlers of the approach of Avar parties.

Whatever tribes said to have been the Hurons, occupied or claimed
West Virginia, were conquered and driven out by the Six Nations, who
had their seat of Government in Western New York, and the territory held
by right of conquest.

The six nations were composed of the Mohawks, Oneidas, Onondagoes,
Cayugas, Senecas, and Tuscaroras, the Tuscaroras being admitted to the
Confederacy in 1712, before that time they were known as the Five Na-
tions.

The conquered and claimed territory reaching from Massachusetts to
the Lakes and South to the Tenessee.

At a treaty held by Sir William Johnson with them at Fort Stan-
wix, now Rome, New York, in 1768, they relinquished title to the King
of all territory lying East of a line commencing at the mouth of the Ten-
nessee up the Ohio and Allegheny rivers to Kittanning Creek, thence N. E.
to the Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers.

The Shawnees, Delawares, Mingoes and other small tribes living on



HISTORY OF HARRISON COUNTY



and West of the Ohio laid claim to some of this territory, and continued
to dispute its possession with the whites until the treaty of Greenville by
Wayne in 1795.

The occupation of Fort Duquesne by the English followed by the
treaty of Fort Stanwix extinguishing the Indian title to West Virginia,
emigration set in and continued until the occupation of the State, not-
withstanding the hostilities of the Ohio Indians and the War of the Revo-
lution.

Whether the race known as Mound Builders, whose work is scattered
over the State, were the ancestors of the Indians, or whether the latter
destroyed them, must always remain in doubt.

Whoever they w^ere and what part they played on the stage of human
events will never be known. The record of their lives has been closed,
never to be opened again.

It is but little that can be said of the early Indian of West Virginia.
As a child of the forest he Avorked out the problem of his simple life.

He left no written record of the history of his race, no monument
commemorating the deeds of his great men, no ruined palaces no works or
buildings of a public nature. He simply lived out his miserable existence
in the dreary forest to the end with no higher ambition in life than to tri-
umph over his enemies, and leaving nothing to show to others that he had
ever lived save a few stone weapons and the ashes of his fires.

The coming of the white man was an evil day for the red one, and
even in his untutored mind he saw the dawn of a new era which was for-
eign to his nature, and which he could not understand and would not ac-
cept and therein he read the doom of his race.

The dark night of barbarism that for untold centuries had brooded
over the green hills and along the fair rivers of West Virginia has been
dispelled by the bright light of a new civilization, and the courage and en-
ergy of the pioneer has made the once savage wilderness blossem as the
rose.



HISTORY OF HARRISON COUNTY



Settlement of Virginia.

The territory of Virginia granted by King James the First to Sir
Thomas Gates, Sir George Somers and others afterwards incorporated as
"The Treasurer and Company of Adventurers and Planters of the City
of London for the first Colony in Virginia," by three separate charters,
dated respectively April 10, 1606, May 23, 1609 and March 12, 1611, was
very extensive.

The first Charter authorized the Company to plant a colony in that
part of America, commonly called Virginia, in some fit and convenient
place between the thirty-fourth and forty-first degrees of North latitude,
and granted for that purpose all the lands extending from the first seat
of the plantation fifty miles towards the East and North East, along the
sea coast as it lyeth, and running back into the interior one hundred miles,
together with all of the islands within one hundred miles directly over
against the said sea coast.

The second charter granted to the company all of those lands lying
in that part of America called Virginia, from the point of land called
Cape or Point Comfort, all along the sea coast to the Northward two hun-
dred miles, and from the said point of Cape Comfort all along the sea
coast to the Southward two hundred miles, and all the space and circuit
of land lying from the sea coast of the precinct aforesaid up into the land,
through from sea to sea West and North West; and also all the islands
lying within one hundred miles along the coast of both seas of the pre-
cinct aforesaid.

The third charter granted to the company all of the islands situated
in the Ocean seas bordering upon the coast of our first colony in Virginia,
and being within three hundred leagues of any of the parts heretofore
granted to the said Company in the said former letters patent as aforesaid.



Online LibraryHenry. 4n HaymondHistory of Harrison County, West Virginia : from the early days of Northwestern Virginia to the present → online text (page 1 of 52)