Henry E. (Henry Elliot) Shepherd.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Fayette County, and the boroughs and townships of the county :also, portraits and biographies of the governors since 1790, and genealogies,family histor online

. (page 1 of 58)
Online LibraryHenry E. (Henry Elliot) ShepherdNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Fayette County, and the boroughs and townships of the county :also, portraits and biographies of the governors since 1790, and genealogies,family histor → online text (page 1 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Digitized by the Internet Archive

in 2009 with funding from

University of Pittsburgh Library System



http://www.archive.org/details/nelsonsbiographi03shep



AND HISrOllICAL liEFERESCE BOOK LF FAYETTE tOi'XrY.



.S21



volume the deeds of one who has been so
useful to society and the coniniunity in which
he resides, as has been Dr. Singer.

John Cooley was born in T^ower Tyrone
township, August 22, 1816, and came to Con-
nellsville where he learned cabinet making
and carpentering, which he followed there
until his death, which occurred December 19,
1892, at the age of seventy-six years. John
Coolev had two brothers : William, who re-
sided in Connellsville, where he died and was
a carpenter by trade ; and 3.1atthew, was a
farmer ' and resided in Tyrone township,
where he died. He had two sisters : Nancy,
deceased, and Elizabeth, who resides with
Samuel Cooley, and is in her ninety-first year.
John Cooley was twice married, first to a
jMaria L. Bryant, who died in Connellsville,
December 25, 1849. Ey this marriage there
■were five children: Wallace H., a resident of
Noble county, Ohio, who went to Ohio in
1859 and enlisted in a Ohio regiment, served
in the Union army until the close of the war,
by trade a printer, and at present editor and
proprietor of the Noble county (Ohio) "Re-
publican :" Henry L., deceased ; Amanda,
deceased : Belle, deceased ; Eliza Jane, wife
of J. W. McGinnis, of Tyrone township.
The}- reside on the old Cooley home-
stead. On August 12, 1852, John Coolev
wedded 'Slary A. Baker, who died April
27. 1894, aged seventy-four years. John
and Mary A. (Baker) Cooley w^ere both
members of the Connellsville M. E. church.
They had seven children: Samuel, who is an
employee of the B. & O. R. R. Co., at Con-
nellsville ; Matthew, married IVliss Margaret
Kimmell, of Johnstown, and is foreman in the
machine shops at the Cambria Steel & Iron
Work Co. of that place : Frances D., married
F. M. Tipton, of Csldwell, Noble county,
43



Ohio, residing in Allegheny, where Air. Tip-
ton is a clerk in the store of Boggs & Buhl ;
Louisa, died in infancy ; John B. Cooley, is a
resident of Connellsville, by trade a printer,
working in the office of the Connellsville
"Courier," where he has Ijeen since the or-
ganization of that paper, having learned his
trade in the office of D. P. Stentz of the Eay-
ette county " Monitor;" Rachel Cooley, mar-
ried ^^^ W. Shultz, of Somerset countv, and
resides at Elmwood near Pittsburg in Law-
rence county, where Mr. Shultz is a dealer in
coal, wood and ice and is also engaged in the
insurance business ; and Dora H., who is sin-
gle,, and resides at the old homestead on
Peach street in Connellsville.

AL\'n'HEw J. Welsh, clerk of the Columbia
hotel at New Haven, Pennsylvania, was born
at Mt. Braddock, Fayette county, Pennsyl-
vania, and is a son of Thomas and Bridget
\\'elsh. Air. Welsh was born October 2, 1873.
His parents are both natives of Ireland and
came to this country about 1869 and located
in Pittsburg and were married in that citv,
from wdiich place they moved to Favette
county. The father is a pioneer coke worker
which business he followed for many vears.
He has been for a number of years a resident
of Dunbar, Penns}-lvania, but formerly lived
in Westmoreland county for six years. Five
children were born to Thomas and Bridget
Welsh, as follows : Alatthew J., subject
of this sketch ; James A. Welsh, a resi-
dent of Dunbar ; Alary \\'elsh. with par-
ents at Dunbar: Thomas Welsh. Jr.. a gradu-
ate of the Dunbar high school, who
graduated with the highest honors in the
class of 1899: and John Welsh, who died
when three years of age. Air. Welsh attend-
ed the schools of Bessemer and Everson and
completed his education in the schools of Mt.



S22



Ai'LSOiY'i' BIOUJiAl'HlCAL DlCTlOyAUY



Pleasant. When seventeen years of age he
accepted a situation in the store of the j\lc-
Clure Coke Co., at Painter's, where he re-
mained for a short time. He resigned his
position with the AlcChire Coke Company to
accept the management of a general mer-
chandise store for J\Ir. James Cray, of Dun-
bar, which occupation he followed until Mr.
Cray retired from business after which he re-
moved to W. Leisenring where he resided
until 1894, where he was employed in the
yard. During the great strike he took strong
grounds in behalf of the rights of labor and
wrote a number of articles to the Pittsburg
jiapers defending the workingmen in their
struggle for justice. He was elected chair-
man of the executive board, District No. 7,
of the United Mine Workers of America, and
is claimed to have been the youngest man
ever to have filled the place, being at the
time only twenty years of age. He was a
delegate to all the conventions and secretary
of the local branch at West Leisenring. He
was in the employ of the B. & O. R. R. for
a short period, after which he accepted a
situation as clerk in the Columbia hotel at
New Haven, which place he has filled for five
years, excepting the time he was a member
of Company D, Tenth Pennsylvania Regi-
ment in the Philippine Islands. At the de-
claration of the Spa'Jiish-American war, Mr.
Welsh prompted by the spirit of patriotism,
enlisted in Company D, Tenth Pennsylvania
Regiment, notwithstanding the fact that he
was compelled to give up temporarily a lucra-
tive situation. He was sworn in May 12,
1898, sailed with his company and regiment
from San Francisco, June 15th, and landed
at Cani]i Dewey, July 21st. He received a
Inillct wound through the right hand at the
l)attle of Malate, P. L, on the night of July
31, 1898, from the effects of which he remain-



ed in the hospital for two months. When
the Philippine uprising took place Mr. W^elsh
volunteered his service to the government
though offered his discharge for disability on
account of wound in right hand and served
\ until the return of his regiment. He left
Manila, July i, 1899, reaching San Francisco,
August I, 1899, and was honorably dis-
j charged from service August 22, 1899. On
his return to his home in Fayette county he
received two medals, one from the govern-
ment and one from the people of Connells-
ville, and was also tendered a banquet at
Dunbar, where his many friends presented
him with a fine gold watch. Mr. \\'elsh is a
member of and first vice-president of the C.
]\I. B. A. Branch 42, Connellsville ; also re-
cording secretary of the Young Men's insti-
tute. Alatt is fond of athletics and as a
sprinter held the championship of Fayette
county for four years, and at the Y. AI. C.
A. meet at Uniontown he won five first
prizes and two second prizes. In politics he
is a staunch Democrat and is a strong advo-
cate of the principles of that party. He was
solicited and urged by a large number of
friends, particularly the miners, to make the
race for the legislature in 1898, and though
confident of election, he refused to be-
come a candidate, saying he would not let
politics interfere with his duties as a soldier.
Mr. Welsh has been correspondent for the
Pittsburg "Post" and Connellsville "News"
and is a capable writer. While he served as
a soldier Mr. Welsh docs not approve of im-
perialism. He is one of the bright and active
\-uung men of the county and has a host of
friends. His sunny disposition along with
his determination to do what he believes to
be right has won him an army of admirers,
which makes him well known and popular
throughout ^^'estcrn Pcnnsvlvania.



AXD HISTORICAL liEFEREXCE BOOK OF FAYETTE COUXTY.



S2c



Rev. Johx T. Burns, pastor of the Roman
Catholic church of the Immaculate Concep-
tion of Connellsville, Penns}lvania, was born
in Cambria county, Pennsylvania, in May, 1S56,
and is a son of Thomas and Bridget Burns,
of Cambria county, Pennsylvania. He was
educated at St. Michael's seminary of Pitts-
burg and St. \lncent"s seminary at Latrobe,
was ordained at St. Mncent's, July, 1882, and
from there he went to Brownsville. From
thence he went to Dudley, where he remain-
ed for nine }ears, and from Dudley he went
to Xew Brighton, Beaver county, Pennsyl-
vania, where he remained for hve years. On
Christmas, 1896, Father Burns came to Con-
nellsville. where he has since been in charge
of the church of the Immaculate Conception.

Rev. George Leo LoiniAxx, pastor of St.
John's Lutheran church at Connellsville,
Peimsylvania, was born February 8, 1864, in
Hanover. Germany, and is a son of Albert
and Anna Lohmann, both natives of Han-
over, where they spent their lives. The
father was a prominent government official,
filling the office of Geheimrat, corresponding
with the office of secretary of State in our
government, the tenure of which office was
for life. He died in 1895 at the age of seven-
ty-two years and his widow, the mother of
Rev. George Lohmann, died in April, 1899, at
the age of seventy-three years. Five chil-
dren were born to Albert and Anna Loh-
mann : Anna, wife of Reinhold Remppis,
superintendent of the schubrat (schools) of
W'urtemburg ; Franziska, single, resides in
Hanover, Germany ; Rev. Geo. Leo Loh-
mann, the subject of this sketch ; Meta, wife
of Rev. George Schaaf, of Hanover, Ger-
many ; Gustav, a Lutheran minister of Han-
over. Vvhere he has charge of a congregation.
Rev. George Leo Lohmann was educated in



Gottingen and Leipzig universities and is a
graduate of both institutions. He prepared
for his collegiate course at Hanover gymna-
sium (or high school). He graduated in 1886
at Leipzig and was soon after made assistant
pastor at Pattensen, near the city of Han-
over, where he remained for a period of seven
months. He traveled in various European
countries after his graduation, familiarizing
himself with the language and customs of the
people of the dififernt nations to better quali-
fy himself for his life's work. On May i,
1889. he left his native land and sailed for
this country. He was two weeks coming
over and after remaining in Cleveland, Ohio,
for a short time, he was appointed mission-
ary for Tuscarawas, Coshocton and Guernsey
counties, Ohio, having charge a little over
seven years. From thence he went to East
End, Pittsburg, where he was missionarv for
six months. (July, 1896), and from Pittsburg
he came to Connellsville, Pennsylvania, April
8. 1897, where he has since been in charge at
St. John's church which was established as a
place of worship long before Connellsville
was a borough. The church is in the center
of the great coke region of this country and
the congregation is composed of various na-
tionahties speaking more than half a dozen
languages. Rev. Lohmann is a thorough
linguist and conducts services in seven lan-
guages. His work is arduous and far-reach-
ing, extending for a radius of twenty-five
miles. He is a deep thinker, a profound
scholar, and socially agreeable. Rev. George
Leo Lohmann was married to Miss Ada
Parks, of Phillipsburg. Tuscarawas county,
Ohio, July 24. 1890, at St. Paul's German
Lutheran church of Bridgeport, Ohio. Two
children, both living, bless that union : Leo.
born June 17, 1891 ; and Hilmar. born Octo-
ber 28, 1897. Rev. Lohmann is a profound



824



NELSON'S BIOGBAPEICAL DICTIONARY



scholar, an able minister, and one has only
to known him to like him.

With the first settlers there came Luth-
erans to Fayette county, who without a real
organization worshiped whenever a Lutheran
minister came from the eastern part of the
State. No records exist from this time as
every minister kept his private records. The
first Lutheran church in Connellsville was
organized in the beginning of 1871 by Rev.
H. J. H. Lemcke then residing in West New-
ton. The oldest church building, then pos-
sessed by the Christian congregation, was
bought and remodelled for Lutheran ser-
vices which were held for the following years
every other Sunday by pastors residing in
West Newton. In the course of time more
Lutherans, especially from Europe, settled
around Connellsville and the congregation
became larger. But during the strike of 1894
four-fifths of the congregation under the
leadership of their pastor, Ph. Lamerdin,
moved to Wisconsin and this was the darkest
period of the congregation, hence it is slowly
(but permanently increasing) its membership
and has a solid foundation. The foreign
Lutheran element residing in about a thirty
miles radius belong to St. John's church, and
the present pastor has the charge of about
two thousand families, in the circuit of Con-
nellsville. Although the majority are Ger-
mans, the parish consists of beside them,
Slovaks, Hungarians, Swedes antl Danish
Polanders, etc. The following is a list of the
pastors since the organization :

Rev. H. P. H. Lemcke, 1871-1877, now pas-
tor emeritus living in Altoona, Pennsylvania ;
Rev. P. Doerr, 1877-1881, now in Adams-
burg, Pennsylvania; Rev. W. A. C. Muller,
1881, September 18 — 1884, January 4, Char-
leston, South Carolina; Rev. C. F. Tiemann,
1884, January 6 — 1889, September 2, West



Carrollton, Ohio; Rev. G. A. Firgan, 1889,
September 28 — 1892, September 12, resigned
the ministry; Rev. Ph. Lamerdin, 1893,
March 5 — 1894, September 4, Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania ; Rev. L. Hammer, 1894, No-
vember 18 — 1897, ]\Iarch 14, Parkersburg,
West \'irginia; Rev. G. L. Lohmann, 1897,
April 8. First members still living and hold-
ing their membership : Ch. Schneider, J. Sil-
ler, M. Schlotter. First marriage mentioned
in the records, jNIartin Schlotter and wife.

Frank R. Br.vdford, one of Connells-
ville's leading and representative citizens,
was born in Connellsville township, Fayette
county, February 3, 1851, at what was then
known as the Yellow Spring tannery. He is
a son of Levi and Sarah (Bane) Bradford.
The father of ^Ir. Bradford was born in
Adams county. Pa., in 1806, and moved west
of the Allegheny mountains, locating at
Nicholson's Fall in 1S18 in Armstrong coun-
ty. Pa. When he reached there the Indians
were very numerous in that section of the
State, and he remembers well seeing them
pass up and down the river in the canoes.
The grandfather of Mr. Bradford was a mil-
ler, and operated a mill. He was a native of
New Jersey and located in Adams county,
Pa., when a young man. His forefathers
came over about the time of the arrival of
the "Mayflower," anil proceeded to New Jer-
sey, where the}- located. The Bradford* are
of Scotch-Irish descent. The paternal great-
grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution-
ary war under General Washington, and the
Bradfords have been identified with the his-
tory of Pennsylvania for the past century.
There were four sons and two daughters Ijorn
to the grandparents of the subject of this
sketch. Levi Bradford, the father of Frank
B. Bradford, was married to Miss Sarah



l.VD HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF FAYETTE COUNTY.



825



Bane, of \\'ashington county, Pa. Eight
children were born to Levi and Sarah Brad-
ford : Andrew, ]\Iary, W'ilHam, one who died
in infancy, Baldwin, Thursday, Samuel and
Frank, our subject. All these children are
dead except our subject. Levi, the father of
]\Ir. Bradford, located in Fayette county near
Connellsville, was by trade a tanner and
operated the Yellow Spring tannery, known
as the Bradford tannery, and also the Mill
Run tannery in Springfield township, for a
luuuber of years. He was a Presbyterian for i
many years. He was a leading citizen of the
county, well known and popular and was
prominent in Democratic politics. In 1881
he was nominated and elected on tlie Demo-
cratic ticket to the office of treasurer of Fav-
ette county, and served for a period of three
years. \Mien elected he was seventv-five
years of age. At the e.xpiration of his term
of office he retired from active business and
made his home in Connellsville with his son
Frank R., until his death in September, 1896,
at the age of ninety years. His wife died in
1890, at the age of eighty-four years. Frank
R. Bradford, the subject of this sketch, at-
tended the public schools of Favette county
until he was eighteen years of age, when he
engaged in business with his father as book-
keeper, remaining with him until 1878, in
which year he was made superintendent of
the W. J. Rainey coke works at Moyer
(Grace mines). He has been actively identi-
fied with the works up to the present time,
and has under his charge about four hundred
men. There is no better evidence of his effi-
ciency than his long continued service, and
the successful manner in which he has con-
ducted the large and important interests un-
der his supervision. ;Mr. Bradford is well
known and popular and is one of the success-
ful men of the countv. He has been a life-



long Democrat, and adheres to the principles
of democracy as taught by Thomas Jefferson
and Andrew Jackson. He was married in
1876, to Miss Elizabeth Johns, a daughter of
J. R. Johns, of Deer Park, LaSalle county,
111. Airs. Bradford, whose parents are both
dead, is a sister of Mrs. Chas. Davidson, of
Connellsville.

WiLLiA.M MoRRissEV, a substantial citizen
of Dunbar, Pa., was born August i, 1863, in
Steubenville, Ohio, and is a son of Kavron
and Katherine (Lawson) Morrissev. The
father of Mr. Morrissey was born in County
Kilkenny, and the mother was a native of
County Down, Ireland, and came to this
country when a mer'e child with her parents
and settled in Connecticut. Kavron Morris-
sey came to this countiy when about sixteen
years old and located in Union, Connecticut,
where he worked at the trade of shoemaking
for a number of years ; from thence he moved
to Steubenville, Ohio, about 1858, where he
resides, at the age of sixty-nine vears. At
the beginning of hostilities between the
North and the South he enlisted in Company
H, First Regiment, Ohio A'olunteers. He
fought gallantly in many of the sharp and de-
cisive engagements of the war, participating
in the battles of Lookout Mountain, Mission-
ary Ridge, Chickamauga and the many en-
counters between Chattanooga and Atlanta,
and was also at the siege and fall of the lat-
ter place and in General Sherman's famous
march from .\tlanta to the sea. He remain-
ed in service until the close of hostilities, re-
ceived a slight wound on the instep from the
explosion of a shell, and at the close of the
war was honorably discharged from service
and returned to Steubenville, where he work-
ed for a time at a blast furnace. Mrs. Mor-
rissev died in 1868 at Steubenville, Ohio, at



826



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



about thirty-five years of age. Eight chil-
dren were born to the parents of !Mr. ]\Ior-
rissey, five sons and three daughters : John,
died in infancy; Susan, deceased; ]\Iary, wife
of David Winters, and Mr. and Mrs. Winters
reside in Steubenville, Ohio, and have raised
to manhood a family of six sons ; Etta, wife
of Thomas Gribble, formerly of Dunbar, but
at present they reside at Homestead, Penn-
sylvania, and ]Mr. and !Mrs. Gribble have
three daughters and four sons ; Martin Mor-
rissey, deceased, was killed in a mine in Cam-
bria, \\^eston county, Wyoming, and was
never married ; Michael, resides at Everson,
Fayette county, Pennsylvania, where he con-
ducts a hotel, married Miss Monica Donahue,
of Leisenring, Fayette county, Pennsylvania,
and has one son and two daughters living
and three sons dead ; William and Joseph
Morrissey, the youngest, who died in infancy.
W^illiam Alorrissey, the subject of this sketch,
attended the public schools of Fayette coun-
ty and when ten years old he engaged in
mining with his father. He attended the
winter schools until he was fifteen years old
and two years later went to learn the plas-
terer's trade at Dunbar (he was only six vears
old when he removed to Dunbar with his
parents, where he has resided up to the pres-
ent time and has followed his trade with suc-
cess). To-day he is one of the best known
and most successful contractors in his trade
in this section, handling many contracts for
the leading people of his part of the county.
April 8, 1890, Mr. Morrissey was married to
Miss Maggie Keys, daughter of Philip and
Elizabeth (Warnock) Keys. Four children
bless that union: Maretta, Irene, Annie and
William Morrissey, Jr., all of whom are liv-
ing. Mr. Morrissey is a member of Dunbar
Lodge, No. 410, Knights of Pythias, has
passed all the chairs and represented his

[ f: ^ ?*'•»= S » • f; S l|

I A. I .- * t . u ; .1 .J



lodge at the Grand Lodge and is now past
chancellor. He is also a member of King
David Lodge, No. 236, L O. O. F., at Dun-
bar, and is present vice-grand. jNIr. !Mor-
rissey 'is an active figure in the Democratic
politics of Fayette county and has been twice
a candidate for county commissioner and was
defeated each time by only small majorities.
He has always been active and energetic in
his work for the success of his party at the
polls. Mr. Morrissey has been successful as
a contractor and is eagerly sought by those
wishing high class work. He owns a com-
fortable home in Dunbar where he resides
with his family.

Hon. James Kebgan-, Jr., member of the
Penns3dvania legislature and one of the
brainy young men of Fayette count}', was
born January 6, 1874, in Wilkins township,
Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, and is a son
of James and Catherine (Nolan) Keegan.
The parents of 'Sir. Keegan were born and
reared in the city of Dublin, Ireland, and
both are living at the age of fifty. They lo-
cated iri Allegheny county, and from thence
they moved to Fa}-ette county, Pennsylvania,
when the subject of this sketch was three
years old. They located at \*alley mine,
near Everson, where the father of Mr.
Keegan for a number of years was engaged
in coal mining. He was for twenty-seven
years a miner in this and the old country.
Three sons and one daughter were born to
them, viz: Thomas and \Mlliam, residents
of Everson; Ellen, wife of Owen Finnigan,
of Dunbar township ; and the subject of this
sketch. Mr. James Keegan received his
education in the public schools of Everson,
and when seventeen years of age enter-
ed the mine with his father at Everson as
assistant, remaining for several vears. On



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF FAYETTE COVNTT.



827



leaving the mines he entered the rolling-
mills at Scottdale where he worked for two
years and from thence he went to the Scott-
dale National pipe works, where he worked
for a short time ; and then entered the ser-
vice of the Scottdale Brewing Company,
with whom he was employed until his elec-
tion to the legislature. Since his return
home from the legislature he has been en-
gaged with his father in the mercantile busi-
ness at Everson. Long before reaching his
majority 'Slv. Keegan showed an active in-
terest in the politics of Fayette county, using
his energies always for the success of the
Democratic party. He was for tw^o years
a member of the Democratic executive com-
mittee of Fayette county, and was in 1896
secretary of the Bryan free silver club at
Everson, and when the Democratic party
was looking for its best and most available
men to do battle against its common foe
and again to redeem old Fayette to its time-
honored place in the column of Democratic
counties, she could have made no wiser
choice than she did in the selection of ^Ir.
Keegan. He was nominated June 4, 1898,
having for his colleagues Hons. Horatio
Dumbald and T. Robb Deyarmon. Air.
Keegan w^as elected by about three hundred
majority notwithstanding the fact he had no
large amount of means to use in the cam-
paign. He was elected November 8, 1898.
On January 3, 1899. Mr. Keegan entered
upon his legislative duties at Harrisburg
and was the youngest member of the legis-
lature as he had not at that time attained
the age of twenty-five years, but in point of
ability and efifectiveness he ranke<l with the
leading men of that body. He was always
mindful of the interests of his county and
constituents and supported all measures
which he deemed of value and importance



to the laboring people of Fayette county
or the State: Owing to his youthfulness
and aggressiveness in whatever cause he
espoused or measures he championed, Mr.
Keegan was not only one of the most popu-
lar but one of the very unique figures on
the floor of the house. The interests of Fay-
ette county were ably and faithfully repre-
sented bv Mr. Keegan and she would do well
to again return him as one of her represen-
tatives to the next General Assembly. On
September 20, 1899, Mr. Keegan was mar-
ried to Miss Nellie Home, a daughter of
Peter and Catherine Home, of Everson,
Fayette county, Pennsylvania. 'Sir. Keegan



Online LibraryHenry E. (Henry Elliot) ShepherdNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Fayette County, and the boroughs and townships of the county :also, portraits and biographies of the governors since 1790, and genealogies,family histor → online text (page 1 of 58)