Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 12 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 12 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Wheeling. He did not recover from this relapse
until August, when he purchased and removed to
a farm in Belmont County, not far from Mt. Pleas-
ant. Here he continued to live until December,
1829, when he again changed his location, this
time settling in Middletown, Guernsey County,
where he engaged extensively in merchandising
and farming. For many years this place was their
home. In 1865 they took up their abode in Cam-
bridge, this state, where Barnard D. Browne died
in his seventy-first year. His wife died in 1887^
in her ninety-first year.

Of the members of the family of Barnard Davis
and Maria Browne, Susau, the eldest daughter,
married Dr. J. M. Campbell, a prominent phy-
sician of Cambridge, Ohio. Their children were:
Amanda M., who married J. H. Rosemond, of
Fairview, this state; Fred L. Rosemond (son of
J. H. Rosemond), an attorney at Cambridge;
William A., who is engaged in the real-estate
business at Joplin, Mo.; Judge J. W., also an at-
torney, practicing in Cambridge; Charles M., an
editor in AVashington City; and Alice Virginia,
now the wife of E. J. Williams, of Washington
City. The eldest son of Barnard D. Browne was
William Courtney. Anna E. married W. M. Farrar,
an attorney of Cambiidgc, and their daughter,
Helen B., became the wife of S. P. Mulford, an at-
torney living in Los Angeles, Cal. Rhoda M. mar-
ried Turner G. Brown, of Washington City. Jen-
nie H., the youngest of the family, married Edgar
C. Dcvinny, and both are deceased.

The maiden name of the mother of Barnard



Davis Browne was Susan Davis. She was a daugh-
ter of Barnard Davis, a descendant of Solon Da-
vis, who came from England, locating at Mass-
achusetts as early as 1634. Barnard Davis was
killed at the battle of Bunker Hill, in 1775. When
his wife received the sad news of his death she left
their home, which was on the north side of the
Charles River, and drove across the stream in a
one-horse chaise, in order to reach Boston and take
charge of the body of her husband. Susan Davis
was married to John Browne in 1794, and some
years thereafter they removed to Allegheny Coun-
ty, Pa. The members of their family were: John,
who married Kathcrine Whitesall; Rhoda, wife of
Seneca Needham, of Cambridge, Ohio; Susan, who
became the wife of Josiah Spaulding, of Zanesvillc,
this state; Anne, who married Sheldon Hancock,
of West Jefferson, this state; and Ann Maria, who
married a Mr. Bigelow, of Mansfield, Ohio.



l-^+^[



MARIA DENNING was born in the city of
Philadelphia, Pa., September 27, 1797.
Her father, John Denning; was an Irish
seacaptain,and commanded asailing-vessel engaged
in trading between the ports of Londonderry, Bel-
fast, Liverpool and London, and occasionally, as in-
ducements offered, made trips across the Atlantic
to New York and Philadelphia. At the latter
place, in 1790, he was married to Nancy Moore.

John Denning was the son of William Denning,
of Newton, Limvady, Londonderry Count}', Ire-
land. In 1803 Captain Denning made sale of his
ship, and with his family moved west of the Alle-
ghenies to a place sixteen miles east of Pittsburg.
The river trade to New Orleans was then attract-
ing attention. The products of the Upper Ohio
found a market there at fair prices in Spanish sil-
ver. Captain Denning had a boat built and en-
tered upon this trade. Maria, then about six years
of age, could not remember how long her father
was gone upon his first trip, but could recollect dis-
tinctly about his return. While the children were



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



13P



one day at play, a seemingly strange man alighted
from a big gray horse and proved to be her father.
He had traveled on horseback from New Orleans,
in company with other traders, having made a suc-
cessful trip and a profit of *5,000.

Soon afterward Captain Denning purchased a
farm on Courtney's Run, in Allegheny County,
north of the Ohio, to which he removed; then sold
it, placing his family in a home belonging to Col.
William Courtney, who owned a large flouring-
mill, and was extensivelj' engaged in business.
Having arranged with Mr. Courtney to supply his
family viith provisions and tiie necessaries of life
during his absence, he resumed trading upon the
river, leaving for New Orleans. By a returning
trader, to whom he had entrusted them, he remit-
ted funds, some packages, and a message that he
was in good health, and would return as soon as
he had made a trip up the Red River country.
Upon this trip he was killed by Indians or Mexi-
cans, and his property destroyed or confiscated. It
was a long time before his family heard of liis fate,
and then but indefinitely. Of tlie five children
whom he left, none were old enough to perform
much labor, or assist the mother in earning a liv-
ing. Maria spent much of tlie lime for some years
in the home of Mr. Courtne}", assisting his wife,
who was a delicate woman, in caring for their chil-
dren, and doing housework, for the death of her
father had left them witli very limited means.
Mr. Courtney was for many ycrasa member of the
Pennsylvania Legislature. His wife died during
his absence from home, and Mrs. Browne always
spoke feelingly of his return to the vacant home,
and ever retained for him a lasting sense of grati-
tude for his kindness and his generous nature.

Noveniber 3, 1818, Maria Denning married Bar-
nard Davis Browne, and began housekeeping in
Allegheny County, Pa. The long illness of her
husband while living in Cincinnati under the care
of a physician exhausted the fund of money which
they had accumulated through many years of la-
bor, and want, hitherto unfelt, stared them in the
face. Then it was that the wife proved herself
equal to the emergency. She purchased a set of
wool-cards, some tallow, cotton at twelve cents per
pound, and carded and spun this article, making the



cotton and tallow into candles, which she sold at a
profit, thus procuring supplies for her husband and
babe until his health was regained.

Mrs. ■ Browne was a woman of strong religious
convictions, having united with the Presbyterian
Cliurch when sixteen years of age. Upon the or-
ganization of the Methodist Episcopal Church in
Middletown, where they afterward removed, both
she and her husband became active members, and
their house a welcome home for every itinerant
preacher whose labors led him in that direction.

Nancy ISIoore, mother of Maria Denning, was
one of eight children born to Samuel and Sarah
Moore, of Philadelphia, Pa., and was born in that
city in 1770, and died in Middletown, Ohio, in the
year 1838. Her sisters were: Sally, the wife of
a Mr. Mereditii, of Philadelphia; Betsey, Mrs.
AVhieler, also of Philadelphia; Margaret, Mrs. Na-
than Moore; Martha, who married John Moore, of
Belmont County, this state; Polly, the wife of Cap-
tain Stotesbury, of Philadelphia; and Anne, who
departed this life in the above city, aged ninety-
two years.

. C^^ P .






OLOMON STOCKER. This name will be
once recognized as that of the President
of the canning comp.-in3- at Gnadenhut-
tcn. In connection with this enterprise he oper-
ates a fine farm, located near the city, in Clay
Township. He is a thorough farmer, having been
reared to that occupation, and has been very suc-
cessful in the j-ears in which he has tilled the soil.
His estate is well improved, well stocked with a
fine grade of animals, and in all respects is an at-
tractive and valuable piece of propert^^

Our subject was born in Tuscarawas Countj',
January 18, 1838, and is the son of Absalom and
Sarah (Stacher) Stocker, the former of whom was
born in Northampton County, Pa., in 1814, and
died in 1886. He was the son of Andrew and
Magdalene Stocker, natives also of the Keystone
State. Grandfather Andrew Stocker came with
his brothers, Christian and Henry, to Tuscarawas



140



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



County, this state, in the year 1818, and it is from
them that the Stockers in this part of the country
originated. They became the heads of large fam-
ilies, and lived to attain a good old age.

The father of our subject, although only fairly
educated himself, gave his children every advant-
age for obtaining knowledge, and sent them to
school until they had mastered all the branches
taught in the district.- He was a very successful
agriculturist, and left at his decease a valuable
farm. In him the Moravian Church found one of
its most consistent and generous members, and in
the congregation near his home he held the official
position of Trustee. He bore an honorable part in
the civic affairs of his county, and was well known
for the incorruptible integrity of his character,
and his many fine qualities of heart and hand,
which placed him high in the regard of his fellow-
men.

The original of this sketch, on the outbreak of
the late war, volunteered his services in defense of
the Union, and in August, 1861, was mustered into
Compan}' I, Thirtieth Ohio Infantry, Second Brig-
ade, Second Division, and Fifteenth Army Corps.
For three years he was in active service, and was
then commissioned to be Hospital Steward. Al-
though wounded on several occasions, he was
never absent from roll-call, and remained in tlie
army until honorably discharged in 1865. Dur-
ing that period he fought in thirteen different
states, and participated in tlie following well known
engagements: Bull Run, Antietam, Vicksburg and
Missionary Ridge; was with Sherman on his march
to the sea, fought through the Carolinas, and was
present at the Grand Review in Washington.

On his return from the war, Mr. Stocker was
married, in September, 1865, to Miss Julia C. Peter,
a native of Gnadenhulten, and born in 1843. She
was the daughter of Edward and Rebecca (Tayor)
Peter, who are now living retired from farm life
in Gnadenhulten. The father was born in this
place, February 27, 1815, and in turn was the
son of David and Susan (Leinbach) Peter, who
bore the distinction of being the first white people
to locate at this place. David Peter came here in
1799, and conducted a general merchandise store
in the interests of tlie United Brethren Society.



In later years he became the owner of the estab-
lishment, and carried on a good business the re-
mainder of his life. He became very prominent in
the community, holding the office of Postmaster,
besides many other positions of trust, for many
years. He was well educated, and commanded the
respect of all who knew him.

To our subject and his estimable wife there
were born the following-named nine children:
Cornelia, deceased; Charles L., who is a graduate
of Oberlin (Ohio) College, and is studying for the
profession of a lawyer; Mary A., engaged in teach-
ing school at Collinwood, this state; Bdgar A.,
also following that occupation, in Gnadenhutten;
James A., a student at college; Jessie L.; Harold,
deceased; Emma C, in school; and Laura, de-
ceased.

When ready to commence life for himself, Mr.
Stocker taught school several terms at Gnadenhut-
ten, after which he took a short course at Oberlin
College. Being short of funds, he again began
teaching, and thus earned the money with which
to pay for his schooling. After teaching another
term he went West, locating near Springfield, 111.,
where he worked on a farm, and while there was
presented with a certificate to teach in the Prairie
State. It was about this time that Abraham Lin-
coin was nominated for his first term of office, and
our subject, being an ardent admirer of the mar-
tyred President, traveled twenty miles in order to
congratulate him.

On returning home from the army, Mr. Stocker
taught two terms of school, and then rented the
farm of which he is now the owner. It consists of
one hundred and eighty-one acres, a part of which
is fine coal land. This he is mining with good
results. The balance of his acreage is devoted to
the raising of the various cereals, and for pasture-
land for his fine grades of stock.

Following in the footsteps of his honored father,
our subject has always taken a very active part iu
public affairs, and contributed his quota toward
the upbuilding of his community. He has mani-
fested great interest in the cause of education, and,
as a member of the School Board for the past
twenty-six years, has done much to advance the
standard of scholarship in this county. He is a



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



member of the Moravian Churcb, and has been
President of the County Sunday-school Associa-
tion for eight years.

Mr. Stocker was instrumental in establishing the
canning works at Gnadenhutten, of which he is
President, and one of the largest stockholders. He
has been Secretary of the Thirtieth Ohio Regimen-
tal Association for two years, and was appointed
by Governor McKinley to represent the farmers of
Ills county in the National Convention, which met
in Parkersburg, "W. Va., October 4 to 7, 1894. As
the reader already knows, he is an ardent admirer
of Republican principles, and neve, fails to cast
his vote and influence in favor of his party's
candidates.

• ^^^^ P • .



HON. WILLIAM M. FARRAR, an eminent
citizen of Cambridge, was called to his
final rest on the 11th of January, 1892,
after an active and useful life. In 1883 he was elect-
ed to the State Legislature, being re-elected in
1885, and was twice Mayor of this city. At ail
times he had deeply at heart the prosperity of this
community and the upbuilding of the citj-. He
drafted, took to Columbus and helped secure the
passage of the law providing for the new court-
house. In 1861 he enlisted in the army as a pri-
vate, and gradually rose to the rank of Captain.
For years he was an esteemed member of the
county Bar, and for a period of about nine years,
from 1869 to 1878, his attention was given to
newspaper work, both here and in St. Louis, Mo.
William M. Farrar was the third of nine children
born to Samuel and Jane (Simonton) Farrar, the
date of that event being Septembers, 1824, and
the scene of his nativity Washington County,
Pa. His father was one of seven sons and three
daughters, whose parents were Andrew and Mar-
garet (Moore) Farrar, and his mother was a daugh-
ter of Peter and Margaret (McFarren) Simonton.
His ancestors on both sides were Scotch-Irish,
of the sturdy old Puritan type, and were, al-
most without exception, Presbyterians. Many of



his ancestors fill tiie graves of Revolutionary sol-
diers, and at all times members of his family in
the past have given tiieir support to the liberty
and advancement of the Union.

In boyhood Mr. Farrar attended the common
schools of the day, and, as he was ambitious, in-
duced his father to allow him to pursue Latin
and Greek studies under the instruction of T. B.
McEwen. In the year 1841 he entered Mt. Prospect
Academy, and later attended the one at Frankfort,
and Washington-Jefferson College, where he com-
pleted a classical course. From 1844 to 1846 he
taught school in Kentuckj', and during this time
became personally acquainted with Henry Clay,
and was therefore greatly interested in the Presi-
dential campaign in which that statesman was
prominently before the public. Returning home,
young Farrar entered the law office of John L.
Dow, of Washington, Pa., was admitted to the Bar
in the winter of 1848, and in the spring of the
same year settled in Cambridge. His first partner
was Mathew Gaston, and later he was connected
with Jacob J. Grimes. In the fall of 1851 he was
elected clerk of the court, and proved to be a
painstaking and faithful official.

In May, 1854, occurred the marriage of W. M.
Farrar and Anna E., daughter of Barnard D.
Blown, of Middletowu. To them were born two
children: Charles C, who died iu infanc}', and
Helen B., now the wife of S. P. Mulford, of Los
Angeles, Cal. His faithful and devoted helpmate
is still living, making her home in Cambridge.

In 1861 Mr. Farrar enlisted in the array and
was assigned to the ranks, but was soon promoted,
being first made Lieutenant and later Captain
of ('ompan3^ H, Sixtj'-fifth Ohio Infantry, at-
tached to the staff of General Rosecrans, together
with General Garfield, the latter's Ciiief of Staff,
and General Swaim, at present Judge Advocate
General of the United .States. The friendship
which was then formed between the three was
never afterwards discontinued, and when Garfield
was given the highest position of honor in the
country he remembered both Mr. Swaim and Mr.
Farrar, tendering them a choice of positions. The
natural dignity of our subject caused him to de-
cline to apply for any particular office, and thus



142



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



matters were delayed until after the unfortunate
assassination of oiir chief executive. Associated
with him in tlie Sixty-fifth was Maj. Samuel C.
Brown, who was killed at the battle of Chicka-
mauga, and of whom he was a most intimate
friend. On a number of occasions Captain Farrar
was intrusted by his chief with confidential mes-
sages to be conveyed to Washington, and which
were of the highest importance to the Army of
the Cumberland. He executed such commissions
with fidelity and zeal, receiving the commenda-
tion of his superior officer.

During his active years Mr. Farrar was fre-
quently elected to the School Board, was Trustee
of the Children's Home, and numberless times
served on committees and boards having in charge
educational, charitable, literary or musical objects
and plans. He was a polished writer, and several
of his historical essays have a national reputation.
His cultured mind, good judgment and clear per-
ceptions are clearly shown in several manuscripts
which were unpublished at the time of his death,
and which indicate literary merit of a high order.
The basis of his character was a high sense of
honor, honesty of purpose and straightforward-
ness, joined to great independence and originalitj'.
In his political faith he was always an uncom-
promising adherent of the Republican party. At
his death a meeting of the Bar convened and
a committee drafted appropriate resolutions of
respect and regard.



4^



-—fii^-r



JOHN ARNOLD. This prominent resident of
New Philadelphia is one of the proprietors
of the nail mills, and is well and favorably
known throughout the county. He is a na-
tive of Iowa, having been born in Louisa County,
October 9, 1843, a son of George and Nancy (Neel)
Arnold.

The father of our subject was born in Ohio,
wlience he removed to the Hawkeye State soon
after his marriage. He was the son of John and



Martha Arnold, both natives of Ireland, who emi-
grated to this country soon after their marriage.
George Arnold followed farm pursuits nearly all
his life, and died in this county July 2, 1889. He
was a Democrat in politics, and in religious affairs
of the Universalist faith.

Mrs. Nancy Arnold was born in Jefferson County,
this state, and was the daughter of John Neel,
whose birth occurred in New York. The wife and
mother departed this life December 31, 1893, at
the old home in this county, where they located on
the removal of the family from Iowa. She reared a
family of seven children. Martha became the wife
of William Leggett, a well-to-do farmer, near
Leesville, Carroll County, Ohio. She departed this
lif» April 26, 1883. John, of this sketch, was the
next in order of birth; Jasper C. is deceased ; Ada-
line is now Mrs. Oliver C. Jenkins, and makes her
home in New Philadelphia; Kirkwood lives on the
home farm; Caroline is the wife of George Craig,
also of this city; and Elzira is on the home place.

The early life of our subject was spent at home,
in attendance at the district school and in assist-
ing in the farm work. When old enough he be-
gan teaching during the winter season, the greater
part of the time in this- county. After following
this occupation for about five years, he was obliged
to abandon it on account of failing eye-sight. He
then took up farming as a business, working the
old homestead.

In the spring of 1872 we find our subject located
in Licking County', where he combined the business
of an agriculturist with that of a lumberman. He
made that section his home for the succeeding six
years, when he returned to his old home and gave
his undivided attention to its cultivation. One
year after his return, his wife died, and Mr. Arnold
broke up housekeeping and again engaged in the
lumber trade. During the few years in which he
followed this business, he also ran a threshing-ma-
chine with good profit. He was the possessor of a
portable mill, and for a time went about the coun-
try wherever he could find good timber-lands, thus
manufacturing lumber, which he marketed.

In the year 1882 Mr. Arnold made permanent
location in New Philadelphia, establishing a lum-
ber-yard and following that industry until 1891,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



143



when he disposed of his interests and purchased
stock in the New Philadelphia Wire and Nail Com-
pany, with which he is still connected. It is loca-
ted in the southwestern portion of the city, and
when in full operation has a capacity for turning
out one thousand kegs per da}'. They m.Tnufacture
all kinds of nails, from three- penny to a sixty-pen-
ny, which find their way to almost every large city
in the United States. The President of the com-
pany is .lohn Kaderly; Vice-President, John Eck-
ert; Secretary, Kd Kaldinbaugh; Treasurer, Nor-
man Senhauses; engineer in charge, Mr. Arnold;
and foreman, J. C. Muloney.

John Arnold was married, July 28, 1869, to Miss
Phebe E., daughter of Joseph and Jane (Shnltz)
Knisely. The father was the son of John Knisely,
who laid out the town of New Philadelphia. Jo-
seph is still living, residing in Blicktown, while
his good wife is deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Ar-
nold there have been born four children: William
E., operator and agent for tiie C. P. R. R., at Bed-
ford, this state; Josie Alice, now the wife of George
Wills, a farmer of this county; Harry Kirkwood,
engaged in farm pursuits in the vicinity of Livings-
ton, Mont.; and Nannie May, the wife of Daniel
McCarthy, of this city. The wife and mother
died January 14, 1879.

Our subject chose for his second companion
Mary M. Parry, and their union was solemnized
September 29, 1881. The lady is the daughter
of Dr. John and Orilla (Belknap) Parry. Her
father was a surgeon of the Sixty-eighth Ohio In-
fantry during the late war, and thus rendered his
country valuable services. They were the parents
of the following-named children: Ellen, now the
wife of Joseph A. Winspur; Ora, Mrs. Robert Ev-
ans; Amanda, the wife of William Evans; James
E., who makes his home in Mill Township, this
county; and Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Parry were
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Mrs. Mary Arnold was born December 13, 18'46,
and by her union with our subject reared two chil-
dren, Blanch and Orilla. She is a member of the
Lutheran Church, and is active in all good works.
In his political relations our subject is a stanch
Democrat, and socially belongs to the Independ-
ent Order of Odd Fellows, holding membership



with Schoenbrun Lodge No. 430; Bethesda En-
campment No. 39, and Canton Tuscarawas No.
35. He has passed through all the chairs of the
subordinate lodge, also the encampment. In the
latter he is Lieutenant.

Mr. Arnold is the possessor of a nice home on
Beaver Street, New Philadelphia. He is an expert
engineer, and is contributing his part towards mak-
ing of the business a success.



E-€+^i



JAMES M. CARSON, deceased, was one of the
enterprising and progressive business men of
Cambridge, Ohio. He was elected to the re-
sponsible position of Auditor of Guernsey
County, and made a competent and trustworthy
official. When his term of oflice had expired, he
entered the employ of the Baltimore & Ohio
Railroad Company as their agent at Cambridge,
and continued to be one of their most trusted and
valued employes until his death, which occurred
September 8, 1880.

Mr. Carson was one of the native citizens of
this county, his birth having occurred February
18, 1830, in Birmingham. His father, William
Carson, was a miller by occupation, and both he
and his wife, formerlj' Mary McGrew, died when
their son James was a mere child. The youth was
trained to clerical duties, and when lie reached a
suitable age became Deputy for his brother-in-law,
Thomas W. Peacock, who was then County Clerk.
The knowledge which the enterprising 3'oung man
acquired by industry and observation gained for
him the good-will of those in authority over him
and led to his subsequent election as County Audi-
tor. From the time of casting his first vote he was



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 12 of 83)