Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 13 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 13 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


an ally of the Democratic party. Socially he was a
member of the Masonic fraternitj'.

May 5, 18,'')3, James M. Carson married Josephine
Sarchet, who has lived in this county all her life,
and is a lady justly esteemed by all who know her.
Death bereaved her of her two children, a son and
daughter, William, born January 25, 1855, died



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



December S, 1880, at tlie age of twenty-t.hiee. Mar-
tha C, wlio was born May C, 1856, was called to
tlie silent land June 22, 1876. William had Ijeen
for some time a telegraph operator and possessed
good business ability. He married Clara, daughter
of HughBrome, and their daughter, Wilina, is now
living witli her grandmother. Mrs. Carson is a
devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, with which her husband was also con-
nected during iiis life.



[email protected]^ ^Wa ,(S)J



TT^ DGAR HELM REICH is owner and pub-
r iy lisher of the Canal Dover Neivs, which is
one of tlie live i)apers of this section. In
politics it is a supporter of the Democracy, and
aims to give not only local happenings in a bright,
newsy wa}', but events of importance in the out-
side world. The journal is ably edited and well
conducted in every particular. Our subject has
been connected with this paper only two years and
a-half, but in this time has greatly increased its
field of usefulness in this portion of the state. He
is enterprising and progressive in his methods, and
is succeeding well in his endeavors to place his
paper on a level with the best in the state. He is
much interested in the progress and development
of this county and district, and in many ways has
been a factor in its welfare. As President of the
Dover Street Fair, lie has been influential in mak-
ing it a feature, and has received great credit for
his management of the one lield in October, 1894.
It was pronounced by many competent judges to
have been the largest and best one ever held in this
state.

The parents of Edgar llelmreich, Peter and Sarah
E. (Walters) llelmreich, were long respected citi-
zens of this community. Tiie father was born in
Pfiffligheim, near the city of Worms, Hesse-Darm-
stadt, Germany, in the year 1823. His family



crossed the Atlantic to the United States some ten
years later. The father of young Peter, who also
bore the same Christian name, settled on a farm
near New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas County, where
he remained for six years, then selling out and re-
moving to Bucks Township. In 1857 Peter Helm-
reich,Jr.,in company with liis brotherChristopher,
opened a dry -goods store in Chili, Coshocton
Count}'. Tiiere they did a thriving business for
twelve years, and then opened a similar store in
this city. For another twelve years the brothers
were in partnership in tlie dry-goods business here,
and on the expiration of that time they concluded
to dissolve business relations. Then, in company
with his son, the elder Mr. llelmreich continued in
trade until 1882, when they were succeeded by
Messrs. Jleyer it Schafer, who bought the stock and
good-will. The death of our subject's father oc-
curred April 2, 1892. To himself and wife, who
was a native of the United States, three children
were born, namely: Augusta, Edgar and Theresa,
the latter of whom died in 1888.

Edgar llelmreich was born in Bakersville, Cosh-
octon Countj', Ohio, March 25, 1855, and from
boyhood was brought up in the dry-goods business.
After clerking for a number of years and becom-
ing thorougiily and well informed on all the prac-
tical workings of the business, he went south in
1882, visiting various cities and important points.
Subsequently he traveled in the West, where he re-
mained for some eight years, his time being chiefly
spent in Kansas, where he was engaged in collab-
orating historical works.

It was in 1889 that Mr. Helrareich first became
identified wtiii editorial and newspaper work. At
Bosworth, Mo., he published a journal known as
the Clippw, but after running the same for about
nine montlis lie sold out his interest in the venture
and bought the Hale City Times, which he con-
ducted for a time. On account of the serious ill-
ness of his father, he was led to dispose of his west-
ern interests and return to this county. For a
year and a-half thereafter he lived on a farm.
Finally, March 30, 1892. he entered into part-
nership with R. J. Peters, for the purpose of pub-
lisliing the Dover News. In .January, 1893, he
bought out his partner's interest and has since con-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD,



145



tinued to edit the News alone. The circulation of
the sheet is constantly incieasing in numbers, and
its popularity is ranch more marked than when he
first took hold of it.



j|@«(s)l^l^



WILLIAM HILL. Guernsey County
abounds in a fine class of farmers, who
have given to this part of the state an
excellent reputation, and have been of help in
building up its commercial and agricultural inter-
ests. The subject of this sketcli, engaged extens-
ively in general farming, is now residing in Wheel-
ing Township. He is a native of this state, and
was born in Tuscarawas County, March 8, 1833.

Herbert and Ellen (Booth) Mill were the par-
ents of our subject. The former, a native of Vir-
inia, whose birth occurred in the year 1805, was
sixty-four at the time of his decease. He was tlie
son of Jesse Hill and wife, also natives of the Old
Dominion, whence they emigrated to this state in
a very early day in its histor}', and passed the re-
maining years of tlieir life in Tuscarawas County.
Mrs. Ellen Hill, tlie daughter of Daniel and Ellen
Booth, is still living, making her home in Salem
Township, Tuscarawas County. Her parents were
natives of London, England, and after taking up
their residence in tiie United States lived in
Coshocton County, this state, engaged in farming,
and for a number of years also conducted a hotel.

The parents of our subject were married in Oxford
Township, Tuscarawas Count}-, and to tiiem was
born a family of nine children, of whom William,
of this sketch, was the eldest. Sarah is the wife of
Edward Hersey, a farmer of the above county;
Eliza J. married Edward Kale, also an agriculturist
of Tuscarawas County; Martha is the wife of J.W.
McFadden, engaged in cultivating tlie soil of
Douglas County, 111.; George is living in Tusca-
rawas' Count}', which place is also the home of
James, and Nancy, the wife of Thomas McFadden;
Catherine is the widow of George Nugent, of tliat
district; and Charles J., the youngest of the family,



is also living in that portion of the state. Tlie
father of this family taught school for many years
prior to following farming as a business, and when
quite young worked for eight years on the Ohio
Canal, receiving as wages fifty cents per day. He
was self-made in the broadest sense of the term,
being well and favorably known throughout the
county, and was successful as an agriculturist,
leaving his family a yaluable property. He was a
good man, one whose departure from his accus-
tomed place in public and private life was sadly
felt.

In 1860 the original of this sketch was married
to Sarah Jane Nugent, who was born in Colum-
biana County, this state, September 13, 1837. -Slic
is the daughter of the Rev. James and Sarah
(Snider) Nugent, the former of whom died in 1859,
aged sixty-two years. He in turn was the son
of James and Christine Nugent, natives, respec-
tively, of France and Germany. On emigrating to
the United States from the latter countr}-, they at
once made their wa}' to this state, and passed the
remaining jears of their life in Columbiana Coun-
ty. The mother of Mrs. Hill was born in this
state, and departed this life January 29, 1880,
when in the seventy-fifth year of iier age. She
was the daughter of Jacob and Margaret Snider.
The father was born in Germany, and the mother
in Ireland. After crossing the Atlantic they made
Iheir home in this state until their decease, the
father dying in Welisvillo,and tiie mother passing
away in Tuscaraw.is County.

The Rev. James and Sarah Nugent were married
at New Lisbon, Columbiana County, Ohio, where
the fatlier was at that time engaged in a general
merchandise business. To them were born ten chil-
dren, as follows: Elizabeth, wiio is the wife of Sam-
uel Miller, and is living in Kansas; James, de-
ceased; Sarah, now Mrs. Hill; Margaret, who is the
widow of Thomas Cordre}-, and is living at Eliza-
betlitown, Ky.; and Robert, Elmira, George, Am-
anda, Ilcury and Jacob, deceased. Tiie father cf this
family was for many years a noted minister of tlie
Methodist E))iscopal Church, but during the latter
years of his life followed the mercantile business,
and to some extent was engaged in farming. He
was one of the solid men in the vicinity of his



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



lionie, ami bis example is well worthy of emula-
tion.

To our subject, and his excellent wife there have
been born a son ar.d daughter: James H., at home;
and Forest D., now the wife cf G. T. Rose, a well-
to-do agriculturiot of Wheeling Township. When
first starting out in life for liimself , at the time of
his marriage, Mr. Ilill, rented a farm for eleven
years, after which he purchased his present estate,
now comprising two hundred and forty acres of
valu.ible land. He is a man of excellent business
abilit}-, sagacious and far-sighted, systematic and



methodical in all that he does, and his excellent
success is the result of his own well directed ef-
forts, enterprise and perseverance. With his wife,
he is a member in good standing of the Methodist
Protestant Church, and in politics was in early life
a Whig, but now votes with the Republican party.
Mr. Hill is very liberal in his contribution to
church work, and indeed supports in a substantial
manner all worthy movements set on foot in his
community. He is very wealthy and prominent
in the affairs of the township, and is now living in
peace and quiet in his elegant brick residence.





S:^:^



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



MARY (SEATON) JUDY.



MARY (SKATON) .7UDY, wliose pleasant
home at No. 69 East High Street, New
Pliiladelphia, bespeaks the culture and
refinement of tiie owner, is a native of this place,
where she has passed nearly her entire life. She is
the widow of John Judy, who was likewise born
in this cit3', and who was long esteemed one of the
leading business men of the place. He was a son
of John and Maria (Tschudy) Judy, the former of
whom was a native of Switzerland, but who emi-
grated to the United States in 1803, and became a
permanent resident of this county. The latter at
the time of her marriage with Mr. Judy was a
Mrs. Schaffcr, and by her first union had tiiree chil-
dren, Maria, Elizabeth and Mathias. She became
the wife of John Judy August 30, 1808, the cere-
mony being performed in Hagerstown, Md. Two
sons and a daughter were the result of their union,
namely: Susan, John and David. The daughter
became the wife of Abraliani Knisely, and died in
1833. John Judy was a tailor by occupation, and
became well-to-do. Personally, he was noted for
his sterling integrity and uprightness of life. His
death occurred October 1, 1871, at the advanced
age of ninety years. His wife died September 18,
1858.

John Judy, the eldest son of the foregoing, was
born January 4, 1812, and passed his boyhood on
a farm, where he remained until he was seventeen
years old. He then began learning the carpenter's
trade, which he followed for some -five years. Sub-
sequently his attention was principally given to
3



farming for many years, but he was also to some
extent engaged in the manufacture of brick.

On various occasions Mr. Judy held honorable
positions, both in civil and religious circles. For
nine years he served with credit to himself as Jus-
tice of the Peace, but he was not desirous of filling
public capacities, and could rarelj- be prevailed
upon to do so. He was, however. Treasurer of the
American Bible Society for sixteen years, and for
the last thirteen years of his life a large portion
of his time was spent in the department of Sunday-
school work, not onl3- in this county and state, but
in others. He stood in the front rank of workers
in this field, and believed with all his heart that in
the Suud.ay-school should be recruited the labor-
ers for the Master's vineyard.

The first marriage of John Judy was celebrated
in 1832, when Miss Elizabeth Landes became his
wife. Her parents, Felix and Christina Landes,
were among the early pioneers of this place, hav-
ing emigrated hence from Virginia. Mrs. Eliza-
beth Judy departed this life August 21, 1863. Oc-
tober 16, 1864, Mr. Judj' wedded Christina, daugh-
ter of David and Lydia Kitch, who were also early
settlers of this count}', and were from Pennsyl-
vania. The death of Mrs. Judy took place August
27, 1869, less than five years after her marriage.

■ April 13, 1870, John Judy married Miss Mary
Seaton, the ceremony being performed at Pana,
Christian County, 111., where the lady was engaged
in teaching at the time, having followed this call-
ing for more than fourteen years, six years of



150



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



wliich time she taught in New Pliiladelphia. In
that, city she tauglit her first term in tlie liigli
school, and for five yeais was one of the noted
educators of New Comerstown.

IMrs. Judy was tlie daugliter of Andrew and Ce-
linda (Neiglibour) Seaton, wlio were nati\'es, re-
spectively, of Boston, ]\Iass., and New Jersey. The
father died in 1841, aged forty years. lie was a
son of Andrew and Mary (Bowers) Seaton, tlie lat-
ter of whom lived to the remarkable age of eighty-
six. Mrs. Celinda Seaton, wiiose home is in New
Phiiadelpliia, is now in !icr eighty-seventh year.
Her father, Nicholas Neighbour, and her niotiier,
who bore the maiden name of Sharp, were natives
of New Jersey. l'>y her first marriage she had two
children, Mary and Lucy, the latter the wife of
W. A. Vancil, a retired farmer, whose home is in
Waverly, 111. After the death of her first husl)and,
Mrs. Seaton became tlie wife of Dr. R. Powclson^
who died November 0, I8!)3, at the age of eighty-
two years. They had one daughter, Klizabeth,
who is the wife of D. C. (ientsch, a medical exam-
iner in the pension ottiee at '\Va^hiiigti:)n, I). C.

Grandfather Andrew Seaton was born in the
slate of New Hampshire, as was also his wife, but
the name of the town is not known. He lived for
many years at a place called Hancock, that state,
where he conducted a large mercantile business.
He also spent some time engaged in business at
Amherst, from which city he removed to the vi-
cinity of Boston, and finally to the Hub City.
He was at one time the proprietor of the Neiion-
set Hotel, at Neponset, Mass., and also lived at
one time in Charlestown, that state. Here moved
with his wife and family to Ohio in the year 1818,
settling in Medina Township, where his two eldest
sons, Andrew and Read, had preceded him, and
where he continued to reside until the time of his
decease, which occurred in 1826, aged sixty-three
years.

Mrs. Maiy S. Judy is the owner of some very
interesting relics of the last century or two. One
of these trophies is a translation of the Bible into
German, accomi)anied by numerous comments of
the translator, the celebrated Martin Luther. This
invaluable work is twice the size of a large ency-
clopoedia, and would be a prize eagerly sought for



b}' public museums or private collectors. At the
time of Mr. Judy's death, which occurred in May,
1880, he left a valuable estate and his family weH
provided for.



P1



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 13 of 83)