Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 14 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 14 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Edward A., bookkeeper for the firm of McColIam &
Sons; and Caroline, living at home.

The birth of Dr. McColIam occurred December
11, 1868, and his elementary education was such
as was afforded by the public schools of Uhrichs-
ville. In 1887 he took up the study of medicine
under the direction of Dr. S. R. Thompson, and in
the fall of the following year entered Starling
Medical College. From that institution he was
graduated in March, 1890, and at once entered
upon active practice in his native town. Here he
has continued to labor uninterruptedly, with the
sole exception of some six weeks in the spring of
1893, when he went to New York City for the
purpose of taking a post-graduate course in a
medical college. On both sides of the family the
Doctor comes from a worthy line of ancestors, who
have long been connected with the history and de-
velopment of this city and vicinity, and members of
both families have been residents of the town since
it was in its infancy.

May 7, 1890, Dr. McColIam was married to Miss
Oella, daughter of Joseph D. and Jane ( Walker )
Vincent, natives of Coshocton County, who were
the parents of nine children: Oliver, who resides
in Dennison,Ohio; Annie, livingat home; oneson
who died in infancy; Leonard and Thomas, who
reside in Coshocton County; Levi, whose home is



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



153



in this city; Sadie, Mrs. Samuel Kitciion, of Co-
shocton County; Oella, wife of our subject; and
Amic, whose home is in Ulnichsville. Tooursub-
ject and wife liave l)een born two ciiildren: Ethel
M. and Maiy K.

In his political relations our subject is a Repub-
lican, but has never been an aspirant for official
honors. He is a member of the Board of Health,
and at this writing is serving as its President.
Fraternally he is identified with the Knights of
the Maccabees. He and his estimable wife are
members of tlie Church of Ciirist and prominent
workers in ail its fields of usefulness. The Doctor
is one of the Elders, and for about three years has
been President of the Uhriclisvillc and Dcnnison
Christian Endeavor Union, and is at present Presi-
dent of the society in his local church.



r-gtS^ giS-g^-g-C^-g-g^i^-^^



JOHN P. BARTLES was one of the pioneers
in the manufacture of carriages and wagons
in Tuscarawas County, and was engaged in
tliis business at New Philadelphia for up-
wards of forty-five years. For tiie past tlirce ^-ears
he has been living retired, enjoying a well earned
rest, surrounded by many of tlie comforts and lux-
uries of life, with which his former yeais of toil
iiave provided liiin and his family.

Mr. Bartlcs is a native of New Jersey, his birth
having occurred September 19, 1818, in Hunter-
don County. His father, Frederick Bartles, was
likewise a native of New Jersey, and w.as of Ger-
man descent. Tlie paternal great-grandfather, a
native of Hamburg, Germany, came to tlic United
States wiien he was about twenty' years of age, and
passed the remainder of his life in New Jersey,
where his son Andrew, and grandson Frederick,
were born. Andrew Bartles was a farmer near New
Germantown, where liis demise occurred at the age
of seventy-five years. His children were as fol-
lows: Frederick, Henry, Cliarles, Joseph, Sailie,
Eliza and Phoehe, alf now deceased. Frederick
Bartles was a carpenter bj- trade, but at times en-



gaged in otiier pursuits. He enlisted in the War
of 1812, but was not called into action. On com-
ing to Ohio, he made a settlement in Licking
County, from where he removed to St. Louis,
where his death occurred. Our subject's mother,
whose maiden name was Elizabeth Williams, was a
native of New Jersey, and daughter of Thomas
and Riioda Williams. Mrs. Bartles died in New
Germantown when our subject was a lad of about
twelve years. Her son Thomas resides in New
Philadelphia; a daugiiter, Catherine, is still making
her liome in New Jersey; and Andrew is deceased.

The boyhood of John P. Bartles was passed in
New Germantown, where he studied in the com-
mon schools. When he arrived at suitable years,
he commenced serving an apprenticeship to a car-
riage-maker, and followed this trade as a means of
obtaining a livcliliood during his active business
career. In 1846 lie came to New Philadelphia and
opened a shop where his residence now stands. He
established the first carriage and wagon factory in
this locality, and made a success of his enterprise.
Of late years the concentration of work in large
city factories, where wages are at a low scale,
forced our subject to give up manufacturing,
thougli he had previously acquired a good fortune,
amply sufficient for his future needs.

In New Germantown, Mr. Bartles was married,
Januaiy 27, 1844, to Miss Caroline, daughter of
Abrain and Mary (Sharp) Sharp, who were of Ger-
man ancestry, but natives of New Jersey. The
following children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Bartles: Mary, William, Charles, Ida and Helen.
Charles, the onlj^ surviving member of the family,
married Martha R. Blickenstaffcr, by whom he has
had the following children: Edna, Helen, Charles,
Leroy, Josephine (deceased), Caroline E. and Alice
A. Charles Bartles and family are now making
their home under the parental roof.

In former years Mr. Bartles was a Democrat, but
since President Pierce's administration he has been
identified with the Republican part}', .as is also his
son. Botli IMr. and Mrs. Bartles are valued mem-
bers of tiie Lutheran Church, and to the same de-
nomination Charles Bartles and wife also belong.
Fraternally Charles is connected witli the Masonic
order. January 27, 1894., Mr. Bartles, Sr., and his



154



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



wife, bunoiinded by tlieir kindreil and many
friends, celebrated their golden wedding. They
have always been benevolent and readj' to lend a
heli)ing hand to those in need, and to the fullest
degree merit the friendship and love which are
freely bestowed upon them by the citizens of this
county.



^^



WILLIAM WALLACE, one of the old
Landmarks and prominent citizens of
Goshen Township, Tuscarawas County,
is the owner of an extensive and valuable farm,
where he has made his abode for severaK years.
He is a supporter of the Republican party, and has
held various township positions, among them be-
ing that of Assessor and Trustee. Mr. Wallace,
who bears an enviable repuUxtion among those who
know him best, is a man of high character and
undoubted integrity, and it thus affords us great
pleasure Lo place his historj- among others of the
worthy settlers and residents of this county.

The birth of our sul)ject occurred in JMitllin
County, Pa., .Tanuary 29, 1822. His parents were
David and Jane (Burkley) Wallace. The former
Was born in Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland,
March 12, 17.77. He emigrated to the United
Stages in 1810, and located near Lewistown, Mif-
flin County, Pa., where he resided for nine years,
and then returned to his native land. There he
was married to our subject's mother, and soon
afterward set out for the Keystone State once
more. He had learned the shoemaker's trade in
Ireland, and followed it as a means of livelihood
when settling in Lewistown. IIis f:ither, William
W., was a native of Scotland, and became a res-
ident of Ireland during icligious troubles in his
own country. David Wallace died .July G, 1871.
at the home of his son in Gushcn Township. He
had come to Ohio in 1827, locating near Wooster,
Wayne County, where he lived for a time; llieii
went lo Harrison County, and from there he came
to this county in 18:37. His wife departed this
life August 31, 187H. She vv.is a member of the



Church of England, while her husband was a Pres-
byterian in religious faith. Their nine children
were all living up to the time of their parents' de-
mise. Mary M. is Mrs. Walters, of Stone Creek;
Ann P., deceased, was the twin of Mary, and mar-
ried William Waddington, who is also deceased;
William is the next in order of birth; Sarah Jant
married Daniel StifBer; and the others are John,
James, David C, Joseph, and Catherine, the wife
of Joseph Liston, of Michigan.

The early years of William Wallace were passed
quietly at the home of his parents, much of his
time being spent in the schools of the neighbor-
hood. He left Iiome when about twenty-two years
of .age, and found employment as a clerk in a store
at Bedford. In a short time he abandoned this
pursuit, finding it not to his taste, and leased a
farm in this county. The place, which he after-
ward bought, -vas situated in this township. Find-
ing a purchaser on good terms, he sold the place
and bought the farm where he now has his home.
However, he disposed of this homestead to a Mr.
Waddington about 1850, and became the owner of
a farm near the inlirmary, where lie lived for ten
years. After selling that place he repurchased the
old homestead he had formerly owned, and on
whi'jli he now lives. His property comprises fouf
hundred acres in two farms, one of which his son
Burkley now operates. When favorable oppor-
tunities presented themselves, Mr. Wallace invested
large sums of money in lands situated in Kansas
and Indiana, and these he afterward sold at a
good price.

As a farmer Mr. Wallace has been very success-
ful, and has made a particular point of raising
live stock. He has been prosperous in his under-
taking of raising sheep, and has realized a good
income from this source alone. In 1871 he visited
Kuroiie, and greatly enjoyed meeting relatives
and going to various points of interest. How-
ever, he returned home with a greater feeling of
satisfaction over his own fair land and the insti-
tutions of the Tnitcd States.

At Beaver Dam, Ohio, Mr. AVallace was married,
October 22, 1846, to Susan, daughter of David and
Sarah (Bowers) Kniseley. The latter were among
the earliest settlers of thi^ section of the coun ty, ,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



155



and Jolin Kniseley, gr.andfallier of Mrs. Wallace,
laid out the town of New Philadelphia. They
came hither from Bedford County, Pa., and here
resided until called from their labors by death.
The demise of David Kniseley occurred September
4, 1877, and his wife died July 9, 1889, at the
home of iier daugiiter Sarah.

Ten children came to bless the union of our sub-
ject and wife. They are as follows: John B.;
Sabilla M., deceased, who was formerly the wife of
Oliver Junkins; David F., who lives in Kansas
City, Mo.; Isaac B., a resident of Independence,
Kan.; William O., also of Independence; Jennie,
wife of Charles Klein, of Cleveland, Ohio; James
L., who lives at home; Charles II., a resident of
Cleveland; Carrie E., Mrs. Henry Lehman, de-
ceased; and Edwin K., who died in September,
1870, aged two years and nine months. The death
of Mrs. Lehman occurred April 13, 1886.

Religiously, Mr. and Mrs. Wallace are identified
with the Lutheran Church. The former supports
the Republican party by his ballot, and uses his
means and influence in the |)romotion of the wel-
fare of the public.



-♦^^■^[email protected]^@l^^^



iration of his term of en-
listment, young Prouse returned to Waynesburgr
and engaged in sliipping produce to the larger
cities. He found this to he a very profitable busi-
ness, and continued to engage in it at Waynesbnrg
until his removal to Canal Dover in 1872. He re-
mained in that city for four years, and in the
spring of 1876 took up his abode in Cambridge,
where he built up a fine business as a dealer in pro-
duce, and was classed among the representative
and substantial business men of the city. As be-
fore stated, he was appointed to his present posi-
tion in 1887, and in order to give his undivided
attention to the work, he disposed of his other in-
terests and devotes himself entirely to the superin-
tendency of the Children's Home.

Mr. Prouse was married, December 18, 1880, to
Miss Metta Morledge. Our subject is a gentleman
of affable manners and pleasing disposition, and
has a host of friends in the county in whicli he has
made liis home for so many years. He is a Thirty-
second Degree Mason, and Knight Templar in so-
cial affairs, and in the Odd Fellows' order has filled
nearly all the chairs, and w,as Master of Cambridge
Lodge longer than any other man wjio had been,
elected to fill that ollice. In early life a member
of the Christian Church, he is now identified with
the Methodist Episcopal denomination of this place,
in the workings of which he takes an active part.
He is a stanch Republican in politics, and is very
intluential in its ranks.



:0#(^



MILTON E. GALLUP, of Cambridge, has
been manager of the Park Hotel since
January, 189.3. This is one of the best
conducted and most home-like hostelries to be
found in this section, and the traveler enters its
hospitable doors witli pleasure and departs with re-
gret. In 1880 Mr. Gallup was elected to the posi-
tion of Constable, and later was appointed Deputy-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



157



Sheriff and Deputj'-Maislial. He is a good Repub-
lican, and while in office discharged sucli duties as
fell upon his shoulders in a capable and etlident
manner.

Joseph Gallup, horn in Mar3land in 1778, was
tlie first of the name to come to this state. In 1820
he located in Millwood Township, having brought
with him his wife and two children. In Maryland
he had kept a hotel, but now lie gave himself en-
yrelj' to farming. His father was a soldier of the
Revolution and a citizen of Connecticut, but after
the war drifted to Maryland. To Joseph Gallup
and wife were born the following children: Martha,
who married a Mr. Howly, and died in Peoria, 111.,
in 1863; George D., whose home is in Cambridge;
John S., Jr., a carpenter of this city; and Olin
R., who is also a carpenter, and who resides in
Council Bluffs, Iowa.

John S. Gallup, the father of our subject, was
born September 27, 1820, and devoted himself to
carpentering, which he has followed from his early
manhood. December 13, 1842, he married Lydia
Williams, and of their union seven children were
born, as follows: Amanda, Mrs. Elmer Blackson;
Milton E.; Emma; Harriet; Mrs. Amos J^ustcr, of
Allegheny County, Pa.; Sarah, the wife of Samuel
Hutchinson, of Pittsburg, Pa.; Joseph, a resident of
Homestead, Pa.; and Fremont, a carpenter and a
resident of this city. The maternal grandfather
of John S. Gallup was a resident of Baltimore dur-
ing the Revolution and was euipioyed in a saddler's
shop.

Milton E. Gallup was born in Cambridge, Scii-
tember 21, 18.50, and received a public-school edu-
cation in this city. His first independent effort
was in selling pies and pastry to the soldiers dur-
ing the war, and he also carried mail and conveyed
soldiers who were home on a furlough to their
destinations. In 1865 he began purchasing farm
produce, which he carried in a wagon to be ship-
ped to different points. In 1872 he began work-
ing at the carpenter's trade and was thusemployed
for the next eight j'eais.

June 10, 1876, Milton Gallup married Lyda J.
Morrison, born in Noble County, Ohio, in 1855,
and a daughter of John and Caroline (Penrose)
Morrison. Five children, two sons and three



daughters, were born to Mr. and Mrs. Gallup, viz.:
Ruth, who is at homo; Fred, who was drowned
June 30, 18'J2; Mall-ie, who also lives witli her par-
ents; Joseph, who died in 1885; and Helen. The
parents are members of the Baptist C'liurcli, and
take commendable interest in its variou.- activities.
Fraternall}' Mr. Gallup is a member of Caml)ridgc
Circle No. 159, P. H. C.



S-^-f^[



f' EWIS MILLER has for more than a quar-
I O tcr of a century made his home in Cam-
bridge, and has the distinction of being
the oldest established barber in the place. Though
a native of Germany, he fought for the liberty of
his adopted land during the Civil War, and has
alwa.ys been a true patriot. He helped to organ-
ize Cambridge Post No. 343, G. A. R.; and in
1867 became a member of the Odd Fellows' so-
ciety. As a Mason he is a member of Blue Lodge.
No. 66 and Cliapter 54, .4. F. & A. M.

The parents of our subject were Gottfried and
Maria IMiller. The father was a weaver by trade,
wliich calling he foUoweil in his native land. His
son-in-law, Gotllob Urban, had come to the United
States in 1849, and, following his example, Gott-
fried Miller decided to make his permanent abode
in the United States, and accordingly landed in
Guernsey County in 1854. The following chil-
dren were born to him: Hannah, Mrs. Urban, who
died in 1855; Mina, widow of -Jacob Volz, of this
countv;Fredciicka, wife of Joseph Konyversey, a
Hungarian, now living in Iowa; Charles, of this
county; Lewis, whose name heads this sketch; and
Caroline, who became the second wife of Gottlob
Urban. The father of this family died March 16,
1873, and his wife has also been called to her final
rest.

Lewis Miller's birth occurred December 22,
1842, in Saxony, Germany. He was twelve years
of age when, with his parents, he crossed the At-
lantic, and up to the war he engaged in farming
and also to some extent in mining coal. May 10,



158



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1862, he enlisterl in Company A, Eighty-fifth Ohio
Infantry, for tlirce months' service, and followed
Morgan tlirough Kcntuck3'. After his discharge
he re-enlisted in Company Bj First Ohio Cavalry,
at the time the regiment veteranized. He was
finally mustered out of the army September 16,
1865, at Columbus, Ohio. He served throughout
tlie Georgia campaign and was in the battles of
Decatur, Ala., Resaca and Konesaw Mountain.

For a year or more after leaving the aimy Mr.
Miller lived in Wheeling, W. Va., where he fol-
lowed the business he had picked up while in the
service, that of a barber. In the latter part of 1866
he came to this place, which has since been his
home. lie has long numbered among his regular cus-
tomers many of the best citizens, as he was the first
white man to engage in the trade in this locality.
In politics he uses his ballot in favor of Democratic
nominees.

April 9, 1868, Mr. Miller married Elmina Hoy,
and of their union have been born two children, a
son and daughter, namely: William E., whose
birth occurred May 10, 1869; and Anna M., who is
now the wife of Howard Baxter, of Cambridge.






T~^ DWIN R. McCOLLUM, one of the enter-
r^ C) prising and successful business men of
Cambridge, is a native of this city. For
several years he has been in partnership with II. F.
McDonald, in the furniture and undertaking busi-
ness, and takes an active part in whatever is cal-
culated to benefit this neighborhood, in whose
welfare he is greatly interested.

The parents of Edwin R., Ezekiel and Sarah R.
(Hutchinson) McCollum,are also natives of Guern-
sey County, and esteemed inhabitants thereof.
Their family comprised the following children:
Laura, who is now the wife of Hugh Reed, a farmer
of this vicinity; our subject; Dora, who is deceased;
Andrew .!., a traveling man, wliose home is in



Cambridge; Charles, who is clerking in this place;
Abbie, a pupil in the high school; Ezekiel, a black-
smith by trade; and Lulu, who is deceased.

The father of our subject was born February 1,
1832, in Madison Township, his parents being Jas-
per and Sarah (McPeek) McCollura. The latter
were natives of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, re-
spectivelj'. Jasper McCollum was an early settler
and farmer of this county, to which he came witli
his father, Paul, whose deatli occurred in 1832.
Seven cliildren of Jasper McCollum and wife are



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 14 of 83)