Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 16 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 16 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



EDWARD C. LEWIS.



■pT^ DWARD C. LEWIS, physician, surgeon,
r^O and ex-Legislator of Canal Dover, is a na-
tive of this state, having been born in
Holmes County, December 26, 1840. His parents
were William and Nancy Lewis, the former of
whom was a native of Pennsylvania and a de-
scendant of Major Lewis, of Revolutionary fame.
William came to Ohio in 1831, and durinj^ the re-
mainder of his life engaged in agricultural pur-
suits. His wife was a Virginian by birth, and
traced her ancestry back to the celebrated Canby
family.

Our subject received his education in the Ber-
lin High School, of his native county; Fredericks-
burg Acndemj', located in Wayne County; and at
New Wilmington, Del. At sixteen years of age he
passed an examination before the Wayne County
Board of School Examiners, receiving a certilicate
for three years, and taught the Maysville school
for one yeai-. He subsequently commenced the
study of medicine, and for four years remained a
student under the renowned J. W. Hamilton, Pro-
fessor of Surgery in the Columbus (Ohio) Medical
College, during which time he also had the advant-
age of the clinics of the Ikospital of the Ohio Peni-
tentiary.

The succeeding two years IMr. Lewis was a pupil
of the eminent Prof. Joseph Pancost, of Philadel-
phia, Pa., in which city he also graduated with
first honors from the Jefferson Medical College
in 1862. While studying in that institution the
opportunities furnished him for clinical instruc-
tion under Professor Da Costa were exceptionally
good. The hospitals of the city were crowded
with sick and wounded soldiers, and every descrip-
tion of physical disease and surgical operation
came under his observation; and it is doubtless



due in a great measure to the experience there ac-
quired, under the guidance of his renowned in-
structors, that he owes the great success which has
attended his practice (it being the most extensive
in this part of the state) and the distinguished
place he holds in the profession.

In the spring of 1862 Dr. Lewis passed a success-
ful medical and surgical examination before the
United States Navy Board in the city of New
York. After leaving the Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, in the above year, he was offered, but declined,
the position of surgeon of a regiment of Ohio vol-
unteers. The same year, however, he accepted the
position of surgeon of one of the United States
army hospitals at Louisville, Ky., but, after a brief
experience with hospital gangrene, resigned the
commission and established himself at New Phila-
delphia, Tuscarawas Count^', tliis state. While
there he was physician to the county, and after the
expiration of two years removed to Canal Dover,
where he still resides. He has officiated as Presi-
dent for many years of the Tuscarawas County
Medical Society, and is a member of the Ohio State
]\Iedical Society.

In the j'ear 1877 Dr. Lewis was tendered the
Chair of Jurisprudence in Columbus College, and
at present is a member of the Board of Cen-
sors of Starling Medical College, of Columbus. He
has given special attention to the department of
surgery, and among tlie operations successfully
performed by him may be mentioned those of am-
putations near the hip joint, removals of the mam-
mary glands, including tlie axillary glands, extir-
pation of the eye, exsection of the long bones, and
tracheotomy.

Taking an active interest in politics, the Doctor
has served the Democratic party by officiating as



168



PORTRAIT AND BlOGRArillCAL RECORD.



Chairman of the Democratic Central Coiiiinittee.
As a literary essayist lie has an enviable repiita-
tion, and his nian3' valuable contributions to the
medical journals of the country reflect great credit
ujion his scientific and professional attainments.
He has taken quite an active part in public affairs,
and has been identified with various important
projects having for their object the advancement
of the interests of tlie county. He has served as a
member and President of the Agricultural Society
of Tuscarawas County' for thirteen years, and has
given efficient support to the lines of railway
traversing the county. He is also surgeon for the
Cleveland & Tuscarawas Valley and the Marietta,
Pittsburg & Cleveland Railroads. In 1873 he was
nominated by acclamation and elected on the
Democratic ticket to represent the county in the
Sixty-first General Assembly, where he was a mem-
ber of several important standing committees and
Chairman of the Committee on P)enevolent Insti-
tutions. Declining the nomination to the House
of Representatives in 1875, he was nominated by
acclamation in the joint convention of the Eight-
eenth Senatorial District, and was elected to the
Senate of Ohio by a larger majority tiian was ever
previously given to any one upon the stale or
county ticket in the district.

Dr. Lewis is the author of several reforma-
tory measures, and as a senator won a reputation
and exerted an influence which must be as gratify-
ing to his constituents as creditable to himself. He
is now retired from public life and is devoting
himself exclusively^ to liis profession, although
many of his friends are desirous that he should
again become the standard-bearer of his part^' as its
candidate for Congress. Personally he possesses
the attributes of an agreeable, polished gentleman.

October '1'2, 1862, Dr. Lewis married Mary K.,
the iiighly accomplished and only daugliter of the
late lamented Dr. Joseph Slingluff, of Canal Do-
ver. To them were born four children, only one
of whom is living, Anola S. Mrs. Mary Lewis died
March 31, 1880. This event was to the husband a
bereavement of more than ordinary severity. A
graduate of the Cleveland Female Seminary, she
was a woman of superior natural endowments, and
possessed a remarkable strengtii of mind and inde-



pendence of thought. Her literary tastes were of
a high order, to which she gave wide exercise by
earnest study and extensive reading. Born and
reared in luxury, her early life was uninterrupted
sunshine, and her sweetness of temper and ami-
ability of disposition — marked traits in her char-
acter — brought to her married life peace, harmony,
and happiness seldom equaled. For years previ-
ous to her decease she was an invalid and great
sufferer, but patient resignation and cheerfulness
often concealed from the outside world her secret
sorrow. Her noble qualities of mind and heart,
crowned by a deep and earnest piety, rendered
her the cultured Christian lady that she was.

April 26, 1882, Dr. Lewis married Mary G., only
daughter of Hon. Chauncey N. Olds, a distin-
guished attorney of Columbus, and formerly At-
torney-General of Ohio. To them have been born
two children, Chauncey Olds and Caroline Wood-
ruff. In the fall of 1881 the Children's Home of
this county was established. The Doctor was ap-
pointed a Trustee for the same for three years,
and has held that position for fourteen consecutive
years, during which time he has served as Presi-
dent of the board, and during the entire time has
donated his services as physician and surgeon to
the inmates of the home free of charge. The
Doctor has been actively engaged in the practice
of his chosen profession for thirty-five years in
Canal Dover, New Philadelphia and surrounding
country, and has enjoyed a larger practice during
this time than any other physician in this part of
Ohio. He has been successful in accumulating a
fortune, the result of his intelligence and indomita-
ble energy. Within the last year he purchased four
hundred acres of land, situated between New
Philadelphia and Canal Dover, where he is raising
(ino stock, and has a large dairy, from which he is
furnishing milk to the people of the two towns.






MOSES SIMON WOLFF. The prosperity
of Guernsey County cannot be attrib-
uted entirely to Americans, for much
has been accomplished by those of foreign birth
who have sought a home in the Land of the Free.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Germany lias contributed of its tlirift, England of
its vigor, France of its economy, and Holland of
its patient perseverance. Among the natives of
Germnny who have sought a home in this county,
and have here attained independence and pros-
perity, ma}' be mentioned Mr. AVolff, who is en-
gaged in the clothing and gents' furnishing busi-
ness, having a large establishment in Cambridge,
well stocked with every variety of clothing, hats,
caps, etc.

Mr. Wolff was born in Bingen, Germany, Janu-
ary 1, 1860, and is the son of .ludah and .Teanettc
(Meyer) Wolff. The father was borr Uie Father-
land in February, 1817, and although advanced in
years he follows his business of a cattle drover,
which enterprise he has found to be very pronV
able. His good wife, who bore him three children,
was also born in Germany, in January, 1821. Of
this family Moses is the eldest. Ferdinand, the
second-born, is still living in Germany, and en-
gaged in the cattle trade; and Leopold is deceased,
having met his death by being thrown from a
liorse. He was finely educated, and at the time
was serving as private secretary to a Landrath, a
Government official of Germany.

Moses S. Wolff was educated in his native vil-
lage, and one year prior to attaining his majority
determined to try his fortune in the New World,
of which he had heard such glowing accounts.
Thus, embarking in a vessel, he was landed in New
York Harbor in due time, whence he made liis way
to Pittsburg, and for the succeeding two years was
occupied in peddling in the counties surrounding
that city. He afterward obtained a position as
clerk in the clothing house of G. M. Gusky, of
Pittsburg, which was the largest concern of this
kind in westein Pennsylvania. On leaving the
employ of that gentleman, Mr. Wolff came to this
state, and, locating at Youngstown, worked for dif-
ferent parties, in all seven years.

October 6, 188G, Mr. Wolff w.ns married to Eltse.
daughter of Jacob Strouss, a native of Germany,
and three years later the young couple came to
Cambridge, where our subject established himself
in the business which he h:is so successfully prose-
cuted since. He does the largest business of the
kind in the county, his sales aniountins each year



to over >!4(»,opO. He is a shrewd, wide-awake busi-
ness man, and is accounted one of the most pub-
lic-spirited citizens of the place.

Mr. Wolff is a stanch upholder of Republican
principles, and never fails to cast his vote and in-
fluence in favor of its candidates. His first ballot
was cast for James Blaine. In social affairs he is
a prominent Odd Fellow, and also belongs to the
Knights of Pythias. Mr. and Mrs. Wolff have one
son, Clarence Jacob, who was born April 14, 1892.



-^l



T7> RNEST G. RIPPEL is known as one of the
|^(^ most intelligent and skillful foundrymen
and machinists in all Tuscarawas County,
and his business as such in Canal Dover is exten-
sive and lucrative. He is a native of this city,
having been born April 5, 1869, to George F. and
Martha (Dimler) Rippel, natives of German}-.

The father of our subject was born March 18,
1827, and was therefore a lad of eleven years when,
in 1837, he emigrated to America. He wasa black-
smith by trade, which occupation he followed in
this city for a period of forty years. Many a time
in tliose early days he had to forge the shoes before
he could shoe a horse. He is still living, m.aking
his home in this city and enjoying the results of
an industrious and well spent life.

The motlier of our subject was born March 2,
183.5, and was seven years old when she emigrated
to America. To George and Martha Rippel there
was granted a family of four children, of whom
Frederick J., born March 20, 1856, is carrying on
the blacksmith business established by his father,
and is meeting with success; Callie, born March 5,
1859, is the wife of John Schumacker, a barber in
Canal Dover; Emma, born July 25, 1862, died
atthe age of four years; and Ernest, of this sketch,
is the youngest of the household. The latter was
a student in the Dover schools until graduating
with the Class of '86. The following three years
he passed as clerk in the Exchange National Bank.
In the year 1889 he became, a member of the firm



170



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



of Hopkins. Rippel it Co., conducting a good
foundry and machine-shop business until tlie part-
nership was dissolved in 1890. Mr. Rippel imme-
diately became connected in business with James
T. King, and since that time tiieir business has been
conducted 'under the style of Rippel & King.
They do a general foundry and machinery jobbing
business, making a specialty of manufacturing roll-
ing-mill and blast furnaces.

Socially our subject is a Knight of Pythias and
belongs to the Junior Order of American Mechan-
ics, also tiie Protected Home Circle. Politically he
is independent in local elections, reserving his
right to cast his vote for the man who in his judg-
ment will best discharge the duties of the office;
in national politics he is a Republican.

The lady who became the wife of Mn Rippel
September 8, 1892, bore the maiden name of Jean-
ette V. Finch, of Columbus, Ohio. She was tiie
daughter of William and Kate Finch, natives of
Phoenixville, Pa. The father died in 1891; tlie
mother now lives in Columbus, Ohio. Our sub-
ject is a thoroughgoing young business man, full
of energy and push. He is eminently social, and
counts his friends among the best people of the
county.



:3^G=



HUGH F. McDonald, a well known busi-
ness man of Cambridge, is engaged in
running a furniture store, and is a mem-
ber of the firm of McDonald & McCollurn. In
1884 he was elected Sheriff of Guernsey County,
and discharged tlie duties (lertaining to that office
for four years, to the entire satisfaction of his con-
stituents, neighbors and friends. He may well be
proud of the record which he made as a defender
of tlie Stars and Stripes during the Civil War, as
he participated in several important campaigns, and
fought in upwards of twenty leading battles.

The birth of our subject occurred February 10,
1842, on a farm in this county, and his parents,
John and Christina (Broom) McDonald, were na-
tives of Muskingum and Guernsey Counties, re-



sijectively. The McDonalds are of Scotch-Irish
extraction. William, the paternal grandfather of
our subject, was a very early settler of this county,
and died on his farm in 1832. Five children were
born to John and Christina McDonald, Hugh be-
ing the eldest, .and the others as follows: William,
now living near Taylorville, Christian County.
III.; James, of this county; Mary K., wife of George
Spaide, also of this county; and Elizabeth, Mrs. J.
W. Trot. The father of this family was called to
his final rest September 24, 1890, when he was in
his seventy-fifth year. His wife, who was the
daughter of Rev. Hugh Broom, died F'ebruary 20,
1889.

When lie was twenty 3'ears of age Hugh McDon-
ald enlisted in Company II, One Hundred and
Twenty-second Ohio Infantry. He was princi-
pall}' located in Virginia, under the command of
General Milroy. In the battle of Winchester, June
14, 18G3, he was taken prisoner, and for six weeks
languished in Belie Isle. When he was released on
parole he returned to the army at Culpeper, and
after taking part in the Locust Grove fight spent
the winter in that vicinity, in the spring joining
in the Petersburg campaign. With his regiment
he then returned to Monocacy Junction and went
with Sheridan on the Valle}^ campaign. In No-
vember, 1864, he was transferred to the Army of
the Potomac, and was with his regiment in ever}'
engagement up to the surrender of Lee. He re-
ceived an lionorrtble discharge June 29, 1865. Of
the numerous battles in which he took part, we
mention the following: Winchester Bay, June 14,
1863; Wapping Heights, August 9; Brandy Sta-
tion, November 8; Locust Grove, November 27;
battle of the Wilderness, May .0 and 6, 1864; Spott-
sylvania. May 8 to 12, inclusive; Cold Harbor,
June 1 to 9; Bermuda Hundred, June 17; Peters-
burg, June 21 and 22; Monocacy, July 9; Fisher's
Hill, September 23; Cedar Creek, October 19; and
Sailors' Run, April 6, 1865.

Resuming his former peaceful occupation, Hugh
McDonald was steadily employed up to the time of
his marriage, which occurred in this county, June
13, 1867, Miss Mary E. Wells being the lady of his
choice. They became the parents of six children:
Eva M., wife of William Riggs, a painter, whose



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD,



171



home is in Cambridge; Ina I., wife of W. (). Dilley,
telegrapli operator on tiie Louisville it Nashville
Railroad, in Kentucky; Elmer Meade, who is in
business with liis father; Almon, who is employed
in a hardware store; Meribah, who resides at home;
and Lettia Oberta.

Erom the close of the war up to 1885 Mr. Mc-
Donald gave his time and attention to agricultural
pursuits, but for the past decade has been inter-
ested in commercial affairs. He is an active mem-
ber of the Republican party, and was elected on
that ticket to serve as County Sheriff, which office
he held for a term of four years, i ternally he
is identified with the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows.



^



PETER SH RIVER is one of the fureiiiost bus-
iness men of New Philaduliihiu, where he
is one of the leading grocers. He has a
well stocked house, and bj^ courteous treaiment of
customers and promptness in filling orders handles
a large share of the trade in his line in the city.

A native of Pennsylvania, our subject w.as born
in York, August 18, 1819. He received a fair ed-
ucation, and when re.ady to begin life for himself
came to New Philadelphia, in 1844, and for a short
time thereafter worked at the milling business. In
the spring of the following year he made his
liome with his maternal uncle, John G. Koahr, on
a farm near Strasbiirg. It was during this year
that the wheat and all kinds of fruit were killed
by frost on the night of the 31st of May, in con-
sequence of which there was great suffering among
the farmers and laboring people.

In the fall of the above year, being obliged to
earn some money, young Shrivcr moved to Boli-
var, this county, and, forming a partnership witli a
air. Barnhart, established himself in the tinning
business. This connection lasted but one year,
when the partnership was dissolved, and our sub-
ject came to New Philadelphia and obtained em-
ployment in the stove and tin shop of \V. R. Chil-



son. which was then located on Xorth East Street,
where now stands the Broadway Hotel.

About this time Mr. Shriver was united in mar-
riage with Miss Sarah Casebear, of this city, the
ceremony being performed in August, 1848, in the
house where they make their home at the present
time. The young couple tlien departed for their
new home in Bolivar, where he engaged in busi-
ness with John Willard, opening up a general
store. They did a good business, selling goods at
popular prices, and continued together until 1854.
That year Mr. Shriver sold his interest in the store
and again became a resident of New Philadelphia,

Soon after returning to this city our subject,
with A. H. Castle, began the sale of stoves and also
did work as a tinner. Two years later the junior
partner sold iiis interest to Mr. Shriver, and he
ably managed affairs alone until 1860. That year
his brother Adam moved hither from Cumberland
County, Pa., and together they built up a good
pationage and were regarded as among the well-
to-do merchants of the city. They sold out, how-
ever, in 1877 to John Kinsay.

Having a good opportunity to purchase a fine
tract of timber-land, Mr. Shriver, in comi)an3' with
George Witty, puicliased one hundred and six
acres, from which they cut the wood, sawed it into
lumber, and sold it with profitable results. The next
enterprise in which he was engaged was as the part-
ner of W. H. WiUard in the flouring business. They
rented a stcammill in New Philadelphia and man-
ufactured a fine quality of flour, which found
a read^' market throughout the county. This was
in 1878, and the connection was in existence un-
til 1883, when Mr. Shriver built his present busi-
ness house at No. 123 West Front Street, where he
has been engaged in conducting a good trade in
the sale of groceries and provisions ever since.

Although having no children of their own, our
subject and his excellent wife have performed the
part of parents to several orphans, whom they
have taken into their home and hearts, and cared
for in a substantial manner. He is a consistent
member of the Lutheran Church, with which he
has been connected for half a century, and is
therefore one of the oldest members of the congre-
gation in this city. His wife worships with the



172



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Metliodist Episcopal Cliureli. Mr. .Sliriver is of a
peaceai)le, kind and obliging disposition, and
always attends strictly to liis own business. Tliat
his declining years may be like the golden rays of
the setting sun, bright with promise, and like
the autumn, filled with sheaves, is the wish of his
many sincere friends, who will be pleased to note
his sketch in this volume.



JOHN E. HAWKSIIAW has for four years
lived in New Conierstown, and is the lead-
ing merchant tailor of the place. He carries
an elegant line of suiting materials, and is
rapidly acquiring a fine trade and an enviable rep-
utation for the quality and workmanship of all
articles manufactured by him. Every detail of his
trade he is a master of, as he has followed it all his
life and has industriously striven to meet the wants
of his customers.

John E. Hawkshaw, Sr., came to America from
Ireland in 1840 and located in Boston. Later he
removed to Baltimore, where he enjoyed an exten-
sive trade, but after a time he determined to try
his fortunes in AVashington, D. C. Upon the
breaking out of the war, he enlisted in New York
City and served in his regiment for a 3ear and a-
half, when he was honorably discharged. His death
occurred in 1874, in Washington, D. C, where he
was a much respected citizen. His wife, whose girl,
hood name was Mary Kelley, was also a native of
the Emerald Isle, and daughter of Daniel G. Kelley,
a noted teacher in Roscommon, Ireland. It is said
of him that before he became blind he had learned
his school books by heart, so that after he met with
the terrible misfortune of losing his sight, it was
no trouble for him to carry on his usual calling.
In 1847 the Kelley family came to America and
took up their residence in Boston.

The birth of our subject occurred in Baltimore,
IMd., June 29, 1859, and in a family of eleven chil-
dren, seven of whom are living, he is the eldest.
Samuel is a miner in West Virginia; Henry, of



Wiishington, D. C, is engaged in plumbing and gas-
fitting, as is also the next younger brother, Joseph;
JIarj' is the wife of H. Shedd, of Washington; Nel-
lie and Kate, the latter of whom is a dressmaker,
are also residents of Washington; and four children
died in infancy.

The early education of John E. Hawkshaw_ was
obtained in private schools in Washington, where he
was then living. He followed in his father's foot-
steps in regard to a trade, and from his early years
showed special aptitude in this direction. He lias
been especially good as a cutter and fitter, and at
all times has been able to make a good income. For
a number of years he traveled to a certain extent
in the South, but in 1890 came to New Comerstown.
At first he was associated with another party, but
soon opened an establishment bj' liimself. He is a
member of the Custom Foremen's Association of
America, and makes a point of keeping posted on
the very latest styles and fancies in his trade.

While in Richmond, Va., Mr. Hawkshaw became
acquainted with Anna Bouchard, to whom he was
married July 17, 1883. Four children came to bless
their union, but all died in early childhood. On
questions of politics our subject is identified with
the Democratic party, but is not in any sense de-
sirous of obtaining official positions, as he finds his
time fully occupied in attending to the wants of'
his numerous customers.



H?:NRy BOWERS, one of the leading at-
torneys of New Philadelphia, is a native
of this state, having been born March 12,
1858, in Dundee. He is the son of Samuel and
Martha (Dillon) Bowers, the former born in West-
moreland County, Pa., March 6, 1828. He in turn
was the soi; of Jacob Bowers, also a native of the
Keystone State, and the son of Joseph Bowers, who
came from Switzerland to the United States in a



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 16 of 83)