Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 18 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 18 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


eighteen years of age began learning the printer's
trade. While his father was occupying the ofBde
of Postmaster the young man served as his assist-
ant. In April, 1893, he embarked in the news-
paper field for himself, as editor of the Tuscarawas
Tribune, and lias met with fine success in his under-
taking. The circulation of the journal is rapidly
increasing and it is becoming quite a factor in
the further progress and prosperity of the count}'.
The owner is very active in the ranks of the Re-
publican party, and has frequently been sent as a
delegate to political conventions, having had the
honor of being a delegate to the convention that
nominated Governor McKinley. In 1889-90 he
was Secretary of the Tuscarawas County Execu-
tive Committee. While serving in the postoflSce
he was the regular correspondent of the Uhrichs-
ville Cfo-on!cfe from this point. Numbered among
the rising young journalists of the state, he is de-
voted to his work, and it is safe to predict for him
a brilliant future. In addition to his own numer-



PORTRAIT- AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD



ous duties he is the commissioned correspondent
for such leading state papers as the Cincinnati
Enquirer, Cincinnati Cmnmncial-GnzMe, Columbus
Journal and the Cleveland Leader. Like his fa-
ther, he is a member of the Masonic fraternity,
belonging to New Philadelphia Lodge No. 177.
He is likewise associated with Lodge No. 390,
R. A., and belongs to the second class of the Mil-
itary Order of the Loyal Legion of the United
States.

Mr. Korns was married, October .31, 1889, to
Fannie, youngest daughter of the late Abraham
Sargent. Mrs. Korns was born • ' reared in
New Philadelphia. .She is a woman of amiable
disposition and a talented musician, and is a mem-
ber of the Presbyterian Church. The genial and
hospitable home of Mr. and Mrs. Korns is always
oi)en for the reception and entertainment of their
many friends, who delight to congregate amidst
sucli pleasant surrounding.'^.



=^^^



+^[



JOHN B. I5KICHLY. The gentleman whose
honored name appears at the opening of this
sketch was a representative of the men of en-
ergy, ability and enterprise who have made
Tuscarawas County so prominent in the state. Mis
name is associated with the rise and progress of ag-
riculture, and as one who made a success of tilling
the soil and of improving the stock of the county
by careful breeding. He died at his honieiii War-
wick Township, Januaiy 9, 189;'). after an illnessof
about four weeks.

Like many of the best residents of this section,
our subject was a native of Germany, liaving been
born in the kingdom of Wurteraberg, December 31,
1818. He was the son of John J. and Catherine
(Meyer) Beichly, also natives of the Fatherland,
where they were well-to-do farmers. The father
died iu 1854, at the age of threescore years and ten;
while the motlier, who passed away in 18G3, was
also that age.

The parental famil}- included .seven children, two



sons and five daughters, namely: Calheiinc and
Susan, living in Germany; Mary, deceased; and
Magdaline,iMatilda, John B. and Jacob. The par-
ents were people of prominence in their community,
and, knowing the value of a good education, gave
their children the best of opportunities for attend-
ing school.

He whose name heads this sketch decided to try
his fortunes in the New World, and coming hitliei
in 1845. spent a short time in New York, in whicli
cit\' he landed after a tedious voyage. Later com-
ing to this state, he made his location in New Phil-
adelphia, remaining there for six months, working
at the cooper's trade. At the expiration of that
time we find him living in Warwick Township, still
pursuing the cooper's business, which he followed
with good results on his own account for a period
of thirty years.

Tliinking that a farmer's life would be a very
congeni:iI one, our subject purchased eight3' acres,
which lie culliv.Tled in nn admirable manner and
added to from time to time as his means would al-
low, until at the time of his death he was the pro-
prietor of an estate comprising one hundred and
thirty acres. On it stand a substantial residence,
neat barns and outbuildings, which reflect great
credit upon his taste. He had been a veiy hard
worker, and as the result of his industrious hfe was
enabled to retire and live at his ease.

The marriage of Mr. Beichly was celebrated with
Miss Elizabeth Metzger in the fall of 1846. The
lady was born in this county in 1829, and was the
daughter of John and Catherine Jletzger, natives
of Pennsylvania, whence they emigrated to this
section .during pioneer days and took up their
abode in this township. By her union with our
subject, Mrs. Beichly became the motlier of two sons
and one daughter: John J., a miller, residing in
New Philadelphia; George, who died in infancy;
and Catherine E., now the wife of Jake Wliitwcr,
residing in New Philadelphia. The wife and mother
deiiarted this life in 185fi. greatly mourned by .■UI
who knew her.

In 1864 our subject cliose for his second com-
panion Susan Bcalier, the daughter of Isaac Beaber,
a very prominent resident of York Township, and
whose sketch will be found on another |)a2e in this



180



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



volume. Slie is a lady of education and refinement,
and numbers among her friends the best people in
the county.

Mr. Beichly was a devoted member of the Luth-
eran Church, to the support of which lie had been
a liberal contributor for many years. He was a
supporter of the Democratic party, whose cause he
did all in his power to forward. He was well
known throughout this county, where he had lived
for so many years, and may well be accounted
one of the earlist settlers and pioneers. He wit-
nessed much of the phenomenal growth of the state
and counl3', in whose development lie very mate-
rially assisted.



JOSHUA P. GRIMM, proprietor of one of the
leading livery stables in New Philadelphia,
is one of the prosperous business men of the
city and prominent in its public life. He
was born here, April 22, 1839, to Solomon and
Mary (Her) Grimm. The former was a native of
York County, Pa., having been born there Janu-
ary 11, 1809. He was about three years of age
when he was brought by his father and mother to
this state, the journey being made in what was
then called a "prairie schooner."

John Grimm, the paternal grandfather of our
subject, was the son of Swiss parents, and when
ready to embark in life for himself, located on a
large tract of land on Old Town Creek, which he de-
veloped into one of the best farms in the vicinity,
living there until his decease. There his son Solo-
mon was reared to man's estate, and trained to a
thorough knowledge of farm pursuits. When a
young man of twenty-two years the latter came to
New Philadelphia and appenticed himself to learn
the trade of a blacksmith. After following this bus-
iness for a time, he abandoned it to engage with
the Ohio Stage Company as driver, continuing in
their employ for several years. He afterward pur-
chased a livery stable, and, owning his own horses
and vehicles, ran stage coaches between New Phil-
adelphia and I'hrichsville, also between Massillon



and Millcrsburg. He worked these routes until
the building of the railroads, when he was obliged
to discontinue this slow method of travel. He
still operated his livery, however, until 1888, when
he retired from the active duties of life. He is
now living in this city, where he is well known
and highly esteemed.

The mother of our subject was born of Irish par-
ents. She was a most estimable and worthy lady,
and departed tliis life about fifteen years ago. She
became the mother of eleven children, six of whom
grew to mature years. Hannah died at four years
of age; our subject was next in order of birth;
then followed Rebecca, Lee H., Elmer B., Frank R.
and John A. All are now deceased with the ex-
- eeption of our subject.

Joshua Grimm was educated in this city, first
attending the public schools, and afterward study-
ing under the tutelage of Professor Welty. He
began the battle of life on his own account by
working at the printer's trade. This he followed
off and on for about four years, but was finally
obliged to abandon that branch of work on oc-
count of being troubled with asthma. After this
he was variously occupied until he enlisted in the
Union army, which he did August 19. 1862, at
Steubenville, becoming a member of Company K,
Ninety-eighth Ohio Infantry, Colonel Webster
commanding. The same day he was mustered
into service at Camp Mingo, and left with his reg-
iment on the 20tli for the field of battle.

First going to Lexington, Ky., Mr. Grimm was
assigned to the Tenth Brigade, Fourth Division,
Fourteenth Army Corps, under General Thomas,
and the first engagement in which he participated
was at Perryville, K3\ After that conflict the
forces moved on to Crab Orchard, and later to Leb-
anon, where occurred many skirmishes. In one of
these encounters our subject was wounded in the
hand by a musket ball, on account of which he
was given a furlougli and relumed home, and was
later honorably discharged, March 13, 1863, on ac-
count of disability.

When fuUj- recuperated, Mr. Grimm again offered
his services in defense of his country's Flag, and
was mustered in May 2, 1864, in Company E, One
Hundred and Sixty-first Ohio Infantry, under Col.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



O. P. Taylor. The regiment was tlicn ordered
into Maryland, and after remaining for a time at
Cumberland went into West Virginia, where tlie
forces were divided, a |)ortion going up the 8hen-
amioah after Hunter, and tlie remainder, including
the company of our subject, remaining on |)rovost
duty at Martinsburg. They were drawn up for
battle at that place, but being at a great disadvant-
age retreated to Maryland Heights, where they
skirmished with the enemy from time to time. The
regiment remained in that section until they weie
ordered to Columbus, this state, and were there
mustered out, .September 2, 1864.

After an army experience of over two years Mr.
Grimm returned home and engaged in the livery
business in Ulirichsville, remaining in thatcily un-
til 1870, when he disposed of his interests there
and removed to New Philadelphia. In 1879 he
opened up a fine stable here, carrying on a success-
ful business for four years, when he again sold out,
this time returning to his former jilace of residence,
engaging in the same enterprise there. Having a
good offer made him at the end of seven weeks, he
accepted it, and we again find him located in this
city, and the proprietor of an entirely new livery
outfit.

In March, 1884, Mr. Grimm disposed of his
stables, and two months thereafter established a
grocery and meat-market, also opened up a livery
in another location. In 1885 he sold out all his
interests in these various lines, and in the spring
of the following year became "mine host" of the
Banner House. He was very successful in this en-
terprise and continued thus to operate for two
years. In connection with his hotel he also ran a
livery, and at the expiration of the time, above
mentioned exchanged the former concern for a
farm in Rice County, Kan. He removed thither
with his family, making his home for a tin)c on
his tract consisting of two hundred and sixty ai-ios.
Tliis he novv leases to good advantage. Dining
this time Mr. Grimm still retained the livery, and
on his return to New Philadelphia bought bark llie
hotel property, which he rents.

November 8, 1870, our subject was united rn
marriage at Ulirichsville to Miss Martha E., (laugh-
ter of George and Mary (Wilson) Goodwin, na-



tives of this state. The father now makes his
home in Canton, but the mother is deceased, pass-
ing away .July 28, 1863. The Goodwin family in-
cluded sixteen children, thirteen of whom grew to
mature years and were married. They were named
respectively: Rachel, Oliver, Albert, Elizabeth,
Anderson, Caroline, Cassie, Ada, Alpha, .lennic,
John, Pauline and Jelta. Mr. and Mrs. Goodwin
were members in good standing of the Methodist
Episcopal Church.

To our subject and his estimable wile there have
been born two children, Frank, and an infant who
died unnamed. The former was born November
23, 1871, and is now a well educated and enter-
prising young man. Mr. Grimm is a charter mem-
ber of Andrew Crawford Post, G. A. R., in this
cit}', and in politics, as might be expected, is a
stanch Republican, and takes great interest in the
success of his party. He is one of the old and
successful business men of the city, and, if for no
other reason, he deserves prominent mention in
this volume for the services which ho rendered his
country during the late war.



(TT^ NDKEW W. NICHOLSON. It is an uii-
j — \ deniable truth that the life of any man is
of great benefit to the conituunity in
which he resides when all his energies are directed
toward advancing its interests, and when he lives
according to the highest principles of what he con-
ceives to be right. IMr. Nicholsfin i.s one of these
men. He has been in-oniiiu'ntly identified with
every enterprise of importance in the county, and
no laudable movement is allowed to fail on ac-
count of supiiort on his part, lie is at present
President of the Caniljndi^c Km. ling Conipany,
which position lie has lield U'v llic p;i>t >oven years.
Mr. Nicholson was born in ruici'nsey County,
December 21. lS:i;3, and i.-, llio .v.n of Robert and
Agnes (Williams) NichdlMin, natives of Fifesliirc,
Scotland. The father was a carpenter by trade,
and emigrated to the I'nited States with his fam-



182



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



ily in 1819, locating first near P'rederick, Md.
Two years later, however, lie thought to tr^- liis
fortunes in this then Western state, and coming
liither engaged in work at his trade, and built the
first jail erected in the county'. lie was tlie father
of the following children: James and George, who
are deceased; David now Jiving near Cambridge;
Ann and John, deceased; Margaret, who married
William Rniley and liVes near Cambridge; ICliza
and Robert, deceased; our subject, who was the
next in order of birth; and his younger brother,
Alexander, wlio is deceased.

The subject of this sketch p.assed iiis boyhood
days on the farm wiiich his father occupied near
Cambridge, and received his education in the dis-
trict school. In 185.3 he made a visit to tlie old
home of his father and mother in Scoiland, spend-
ing six months visiting the scenes and friends of
his parents' home, and on the return trip encount-
ered a stormy sea, being twenty-seven days on
board the steamer which sailed from Liverpool to
Quebec. Me tlien proceeded up the .St. Lawrence
to Niagara Falls.

In 1858 Andrew W. Nicholson was married to
Elizabeth .Sharp, a native of Ireland, and the
daughter of John and Jane ISliar|3, also born in the
Emerald Isle. To them were born eight children:
John, residing on the home farm and superintend-
ing its operation; James A., engaged in the factory
with his father; Samuel W., Secretary and Treas-
urer of the Cambridge Roofing Company; Nannie;
Rose E.; Maggie B.; George D., shipping clerk in
the factory; and Clarence, now deceased.

In his political views Mr. Nicholson is a true-
blue Republican, and is a very induenlial member
of las part3-. He has been Township Trustee of
this section, and in 187U held the same position in
Jackson Township. On the expiration of this lat-
ter term he was elected County Commissioner,
which position he held during the building of the
court house and Children's Home. Tlie former in-
stitution was paid for before his term expired, and
during his term there was also an addition made
to the County Intirmary costing *10,000, and the
Carson Bridge atCambridgeand liveolhorson Wills
Creek were built. With an intelligent regad for
mankind, and a deep affection for his own family.



our subject endeavors to honorably fulfill all the
duties devolving upon him, and in so doing has
gained the respect of all with whom he comes in

contact.



#i€p



r~y EORGE GARDNER has been Mayor of
y^^ New Comerstown since April, 1894, having
been elected on tlie Republican ticket. His
constituents feel that in choosing him to serve in
this capacity they have proven their own wisdom,
fur Mr. Gardner's administration of the affairs of
the ofTicc commends itself to all thinking men.
In manner he is courteous to all, and is making
hosts of friends in an official capacity, as well
as personally. For the past fourteen years he has
been engaged in conducting a butcher-shop in this
city and enjoys the patronage of the best families.

The birth of our subject occurred in this city,
.January 27, 1852, and his early education was ob-
tained in the common schools. From liis eight-
eenth year he worked on the Pan Handle Rail-
road, and after reaching his majority was given
the position of foreman, a place which he held for
ten or twelve years. During this time his record
was of the best, and his superiors were thoroughly
satisfied with the manner in which he advanced
their interests and the fidelity with which he served
them.

February 20, 1879, George Gardner was married
to Miss Nettie, daughter of Elisha Pocock. Three
children have come to bless their union, a son and
two little daughters, who in the order of their
birth are named as follows: Clarence, Bessie and
Emma.

In everything pertaining to the good of the
community in which he dwells, Mr. Gardner is
active and interested. He is a patriotic citizen,
and uses his right of franchise in favor of the
Republican IJarty. In his social relations he is a
member of Lodge No. 445, I. O. O. F.; and Lone
Star Lodge No. 1 75, A. F. & A. M.

The parents of our subject were William and
Susan (Tufford) Gardner. They were both natives



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



183



of New Jersey, the father having been born in New
Brunswick, that state, in 1798. His wife was also
born in the same locality, March 27, 1810, and
when only six years of age was brought by her
parents to Tuscarawas County. Her death oc-
curred May 10, 1878, her husband having pre-
ceded her to the better land some two years, his
demise having occurred April 24, 1876. In com-
pany with Paul Roberts, William Gardner erected
a mill in 1836, the first put up within the limits
of New Comerstown. He was a man of enterprise
and push, ever alert to the best interests of his
home town. The family numbered many warm
friends in this community, and were
among the best citizens of the place.



ROBERT HAMMOND, a prominent citizen
of Cambridge, was elected .Justice of the
Peace in 1894, having during the '70s
also served in that capacity for a year. During a
period of six years he was Clerk of the County
Court, having been elected to that post. Subse-
quently he was engaged in the claim business and
also practiced law. Of late years he has given
much of his attention to real-estate and building
enterprises. In 1885 he erected the substantial
and handsome opera licuise of this place, it having
a seating capacity of from eight hundred to one
thousand people.

John Hammond, the father of our subject, was
born in Washington Count}-, Pa.. September 16,
1805. He became an inhabitant of this county
about 1829, and is still living on a farm near this
city. He has followed agricultural pursuits all
his life, and has been Justice of the Peace several
times. In the United Presbyterian Church, with
which he has been identified as a member for sev-
eral decades, he is now a leading Elder. For- his
wife he chose Elizabeth Scott, also of Washing-
ton County, Pa., and of their union were born
eleven children, as follows: James, a real-es-
tate man of Olathe, Kan.; Francis, who died in



1889, while a clerk in the Treasury Department at
Washington, D. C; William B., a wagon and car-
nage maker of Muskingum County; Elizabeth,
Mrs. William McClellan, whose death occurred in
1890; John, a wagon and carnage manufacturer of
Otsego, Muskingum County; David, who is en-
gaged in farming in Guthrie County, Iowa; Rob-
ert, of this sketch; Johnston, who died in Cam-
bridge in 1889; Charles, who is engaged in farm-
ing four miles northwest of this place; Mary Jane,
wife of David L. Mackey, a farmer of this county;
and Alexander, who is carrying on the old home-
stead four miles west of Cambridge. The mother
of these children died in 1887, aged seventy-seven
years.

Robert Hammond was reared to farm life, and
received a common-school education. August 9,
1861, he enlisted in Comi)any A, Fifteenth Ohio
Infantry, M. R. Dickey being his first Colonel. He
was the first soldier to enlist at Mantua, and after
the organization of the company went to Camp
Bartlett for drill work. Thence he was sent to
Camp Dennison, and after waiting for some time for
arms and equipment, finally received the same and
the next day was sent to Lexington. Proceeding
next to Upton .Station and Camp MediUe, he re-
mained there for three weeks, when he was trans-
ferred to Green River and there passed the winter.
The first battle in which he participated was that
of Shiloh, April 6 and 7, 1862. In that hard-
fought engagement he was so unfortunate as to
lose his right leg by the bursting of a shell. The
injured member was amputated, and as soon as ad-
visable Mr. Hammond was sent on his wav home,
but anotiier amputation had to be performed dur-
ing the journey. He reached home in May, and
in the following fall went to Cincinnati for his
discharge papers, which he obtained February 21,
1863. He was very glad to get away from the
army hospital, and was enabled to do so only
through the instrumentality of a friend, Dr. J. P.
Tingle, who went to his rescue with an order from
the Government.

When he had sufficiently recovered from his dis-
astrous army experience, Mr. Hammond took a
course in the Zanesville Business College, after
which he read law with Col. John fergusoD, and



184



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL -RECORD.



was admitted to the Bar in 1870. Though he has
been engaged in practice more or less since that
time, he is not especially fond of the business, as
by nature he is more inclined to commercial trans-
actions, and finds his talents better employed in
other directions. November 15, 1870, Mr. Ham-
mond married Ella, daughter of John W. Simons.
Seven children graced their union, namely: John
W., of Cambridge; Howard, who died in 1888;
Charles, who is clerking; George and Jesse, who
are pursuing their studies in the local schools;
Geraldine and Ella. Mr. Hammond is a member
of the United Presbyterian Church, and Mrs. Ham-
mond is connected with the Baptist Church.

In peace and war life Mr. Hammond has been a
loyal supporter of Rei)ublican principles and pa-
triotic measures. He is a Grand Army man, and
also belongs to the Union Veteran League. A
rather notable fact connected with himself and
brothers is that all seven were in the Union serv-
ice, Johnston, Charles and himself as members of
Company A, Fifteenth Ohio Infantry; David as a
member of Company B, Ninety-seventh Ohio
Infantry; John and William, members of Com-
pany F, One Hundred and Sixty-ninth Ohio
Infantry; and James of the One Hundred and
Seventj'-second Ohio Inf.intry, he being Adjutant
of the regiment. Johnston and Robert were both
wounded, but the others served without personal
injury or capture.



\ \ ff)ESLEY MINOR is one of the extensive
\/\/ and prosperous agriculturists of Tus-
carawas County, his fine homestead
being situated in Dover Township. For over half
a century he has lived on the farm which he still
owns and operates, in 18.39 having bought the
nucleus of his present possession, a tract of one
hundred and thirty acres. From time to time he
has extended the boundaries of his farm, until now
he is the fortunate owner of three liundred and
thirty-eight broad acres. There were no improve-



ments on the land at the time of its purchase, and'
the many good buildings, fences, etc., stand as
monuments to his handiwork.

Our subject comes from a good old Virginia
family, and his own birth occurred in the Old
Dominion, October 15, 1811, in Loudoun County.
His parents, Daniel and Pleasant Ann (Nixon)
Minor, were also natives of Loudoun County. Tlie
latter was the daughter of George Nixon, and the
former was a son of Thomas Minor, a hero of the
Revolutionary War, and also a native of Virginia.
The family originated in England, but came to
America early in tlie eighteenth century. Oui'
subject's father was a farmer by occupation, and



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 18 of 83)