Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 19 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 19 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


about 1811 he determined to try his fortune in
Ohio. With his family he made the journey, and
settled near New Lisbon-, Columbiana County',
where they lived for some three years. In 1814
he removed to Jefferson County, and for twentj'-
five years thereafter cultivated a farm which he
obtained from the Government. Later in life he
became a resident of Morgan County, where he
passed his last years. Of the ten children born to
Daniel and Pleasant Minor, only three are now
living, namely: Wesley; Pleasant Ann, who is the
wife of William Durban, a farmer in Kansas; and
John, a farmer in Missouri. Daniel Minor served
through the War of 1812.

Wesley Minor had no educational advantages
in his youth, and attended school altogether per-
haps one month. His father was poor, the farailj'
were in a new country, with an uncleared farm, so
it was necessary that young Wesley should make
his own wa3' as early as possible. When he was
twenty-two years of age he began working for the
Zoarites, and was employed by them as a teamster
for several years. In 1839 he came to this county
and here first became the owner of land. The
practical experience he obtained in his boyhood
served him in good stead as an agriculturist, and
before man}' years of industrious efforts had passed
he found himself comfortably well off in this
world's goods.

In 1840 Mr. Minor married Susanna Welsh, and
by her had one child, Daniel, who died in the hos-
pital at Nashville. Tenn., in 1863. In 1844 he
was wedded to Margaret Machan and the three



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



185



children who came to grace their union are still
living., They are Rebecca, wife of Jehu Cris-
well, a farmer of Dover Township; Harvey, also
an agriculturist of this township; and John, whose
residence is in Salt Lake City. After the death
of his second wife, Mr. Minor married Miss Amelia
Machan, and two children resulted from this un-
ion : Robert Bates and James E., both of whom are
at home. April 17, 1891, Mrs. Amelia Minor de-
parted this life.

In his political relations Mr. Minor is a Demo-
crat, and cast his first Presidential vote for Martin
Van Buren. He has on several occasions been
called upon by his fellow-citizens and neighbors
to serve in positions of trust, has been Supervisor
of his township, and has also proved his efficiency
as School Director.



(TTyr QUILLA T. RAIFF, a retired merchant of
/ — \ New Philadelphia, was actively engaged
in the hardware business in this city for a
quarter of a century, and for many years was the
only man in this field of enterprise in the city.
About five years ago he retired from active cares,
giving the business into the charge of his son-
in-law, who is still conducting the store. Our
subject erected the substantial business room in
which the store is located, and from this and other
investments derives a good income. On North
Broadway he has a beautiful and commodious res-
idence, where, with his family, he is enjoying a sea-
son of rest and leisure.

A son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Korns) Kaiff,
our subject was born May 4, 1824, in London,
Madison County, Ohio. Alexander Raiflf was a
native of Germanj', but became a resident of the
United States in his young days. He received his
education iu New York and Philadelphia, and
after completing his studies came to this city,'
where he began the practice of "medicine and con-
tinued in his chosen profession up to the time of
his death, which occurred in 1830. His wife de-



parted this life some two years previous to the
demise of Mr. Raiff. They were married in New
Philadelphia, and had born to them four children:
Benjamin, now a practicing physician in Osceola,
Iowa; Jacob K., of Millersburg, Holmes County,
Ohio, and also a physician; Aquilla T., our subject;
and Thomas B., of Millersburg, Holmes County,
who died some twelve j'ears ago.

After the death of his parents, which occurred
while he was still quite young, our subject went
to live with his grandfather in Holmes County, this
state. There he was reared and educated until he
was eighteen years of age, when he started out to
make his own livelihood. He learned the black-
smith's trade at Millersburg, and worked at this
calling for twelve years. Then , coming to this citj',
he opened a blacksmith shop, in connection with a
wagon and carriage manufactory. This business
he conducted successfully for about eight years, at
the end of which time he sold out. Until the year
1855 he was employed at his former occupation,
after which for five years he ran a livery stable.
His next venture was as a hotelman, and at the same
time he was interested in a hardware and livery
business. After a few years as proprietor of the
Exchange Hotel, he sold out to Charles Harvey,
this being in the year 1862. However, he contin-
ued to conduct his hardware business for twenty-
five years longer, much of this time having a mon-
opoly of the trade hereabouts. The substantial
three-story building which he erected in 1869, con-
sisting of two business rooms, he still owns, and in
addition to this he has invested in other property in
this city.

In 1847 Mr. Raiff wedded Miss Belinda, the ac-
complished daughter of David Baltzley, a native
of Cumberland County, Md. Six children came
to bless this union: Austin, now deceased ; Arabella,
wife of Enoch Tribley, of Washington, D. C; Clara,
Mrs. Henry Kuhn, of Canal Dover; David A., who
is Superintendent of the water-works at Coshocton,
Coshocton County, Ohio; Alice, Mrs. H. P. Tribley,
of this city; and Thomas, who resides at home in
this city.

Mr. Raiff uses his right of franchise in favor of
the Democratic party. No citizen of this com-
munity holds a higher place in the esteem of all



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



than does this worthy gentleman, who has always
been interested in the development and prosperity
of this county and city, and lias been no small fac-
tor in the achievement of these results.









OLOMON EVERETT is an extensive agri-
culturist and stock-breeder, who resides in
AVarwick Township, within whose limits
he was born and lias spent the main portion of his
life. He is a veteran of the late war, having
served four years under the Old Flag. In times
of peace and war alike lie has been patriotic and
faithful in his discharge of the duties devolving
upon him as a citizen. In 1885 he purchased the
homestead where he still resides, this comprising
two hundred acres, in addition to which he owns
another farm of one hundred acres in Clay Town-
ship.

The parents of our subject were Godfrey and
Mary (Haver) Everett. The father was born in
this county, October 1, 18ia, and died September
n, 1875. His parents, Moses and Maria (Bura-
way) Everett, came to this locality from Pennsyl-
vania about 1802. Mrs. Mary (Haver) Everett
was born in Greene County, Pa., Marc;h 12, 1809,
and is still living, her home being- in the Everett
Valley, in this township. .Siie isa daughter of Isaac
and Ann (Cree) Haver, formerly of Pennsylvania,
but who became residents of Rush Township in
1827. The father engaged in farming here until
1859, when he died at the extreme old age of
ninety years. His wife's death occurred within
three weeks of his. They were natives of Penn-
sylvania, and came to this portion of Ohio in 1827.
Godfrey and Mary Everett were married in
1841, in Tuscarawas County. Six sons and a
daughter came to bless their union, namely: Jack-
son, wlio was called to his final rest; Solomon, our
subject; Isaac, a farmer near Ilicksville, Ohio;
George W., John G- and Thomas J., all of whom



are agriculturists of this township; and Zerelda,
wife of Alexander Rank, manager of the canning
works at Gnadenluitten.

In every sense of the word Godfrey Everett was
a self-made man. His parents dying when he was
only fourteen years old, he was bound out to his
uncle, Godfrey Westover. When he arrived at his
majority he was given a horse and saddle, which
had been agreed upon by both parties. He then
went to Trenton, now known as Tuscarawas, where
he hired out by the month for the noxt eight years,
receiving $8 per month. For some lime he worked
for J. Mininch, running between Steubenville and
Pittsburg as a teamster. He carefully saved his
earnings and finally invested in fifty acres, which
is now a portion of our subject's farm. In time
he increased his landed estate until at his death he
owned ten hundred and twelve and a-third acres.
He was very prominent, and respected by all who
knew him, and as he was fair and upright in his
dealings with all he never had an enemy.

Solomon Everett was liorn August 8, 1842, and
continued to live with his parents until he was
nineteen years of age, when he enlisted in Com-
pany I, Thirtieth Ohio Infantry, and after serving
for four years on -the southern battlefields was
honorably discharged. Returning home, he rented
a farm, which he continued to operate until IStO,
at which time he rented a place in Clay Township-
This estate he cultivated for fourteen years, on the
expiration of which time he purchased the farm
where he still lives. He has been very successful
as an agriculturist, and keeps the finest grades of
live stock.

December 19, 1867, our subject was married in
C'lay Township to Annie G. Schweitzer, who was
born December 21, 1840. Her parents, Samuel and
Elizabeth (Meyers) Schw^eitzer, were natives of
Switzerland, who took up their abode in York
Townsliip, of this county, about 1829. After liv-
ing there a few years, they went to Clay Town-
ship, where the father died in July, 1889, at the
age of seventy-five years, after which his widow
became a resident of New Philadelphia. Samuel
Schweitzer was a wagon-maker by trade, and was
also a successful farmer. He was a leader in the
community where he dwelt, and held the follow-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



187



ing officea among others: C'ount3' Commissioner,
Township Trustee, Justice of tlie Peace and Scliool
Director. Mrs. Everett is one of eleven cliildrcn,
the others being as follows: Mary, deceased; K(i-
ward, a traveling man of Minneapolis; Simon, de-
ceased; Louisa, wife of Sparks Bcal, a clerk in the
Minneapolis postoffice; Louis S., a physician at
Akron, Ohio; Albert, deceased; Sylvanus F., a real-
estate man of New Philadelphia; Otto A., general
agricultural agent at Albeit Lea, Minn.; Omar, a
traveling salesman of New Philadelphia; and
Callie, who is unmarried and at home.

Three daughters have come to bless the home
of Solomon Everett and wife, namely: Ora C,
who is living at home; Ktta M., who is engaged
in teaching school at Fry's Valley, in this count}^;
and Jennie M., a school-teacher of Barnhill, Ohio.
They have all been given high-school educations,
and are fitted to adorn any society in the midst of
which their lot may be cast.

Mr. Everett has manifested his interest in edu-
cational affairs by acting as School Director for
several terms. He uses his right of franchise in
favor of the Republican party. He and his ami-
able wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, and valued workers in the organizulion.



^[email protected]^©I^M-^



JOHN P. MAHAFFEY, one of the proprietors
of the Herald, a bright, newsy paper, pub-
lished at Cambridge, is a native son of this city^
born April 16. 1845. TXm Herald is conduct-
ed on independent principles, and is devoted lo
the general good of this community. Theiiersoii-
al popularity of the business manager and the con-
fidence which has always been accorded him bjMiis
fellows is shown in the f.ict of his being elected as
County Clerk, on the Democratic ticket, in 1878.
This was a decided victory, as the county is noted
for its straight Republicanism. In company with'
his brother, Thomas W. Ogier, a slight history of
whom is given at the end of this sketch, J. P.



Mahaffey purchased the Herald March 1, 1882,
and has been connected therewith since.

The parents of our subject were John and Mar-
garet (Newman) Mahaffey. The former, who was a
native of Washington County, I^a., born December
31, 1817, died March 5, 1852. His wife was a
native of the Island of Guernsey, born April 3,
1817. She crossed the Atlantic and arrived in
Cambridge in 1834. Two years later, on January
31, she married John Mahaffey, to whom she bore
six children, four of whom died in infancy.
Elizabeth, the only surviving daughter, is the wife
of J. S. Nichols. After the death of Mr. Mahaff'ey,
his widow became the wife of William Ogier, April
27, 1854. He was born January 12, 1821, in
Guernsey County, being a son of William Ogier,
who came to Ohio about 1806, with a colony from
the Island of Guernsey. Two children were born
to William Ogier and wife, namely: Thomas W.,
and Aiirelia, who died at the age of four years.
Mrs. Ogier departed this life January 3, 1892, in
the faith of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

The early education of J. P. Mahaffey was ob-
tained in the common schools of this place. His
father dying when he was quite young, he was
obliged to look out for himself early in life. He
decided to learn the printer's trade, and worked
at that calling for several years, becoming familiar
with every branch of the business. He was mar-
ried, March 21, 1872, to Miss Sarah Frances Scott,
who died February 9, 1873, leaving an infant son,
George Francis, whose birth occurred February 2,
1873. Mrs. Mahaffey was a valued member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church and was a lady of
such amiable qualities that to know her was to love
her.

Fralernally Mr. Mahaffey is identified with Cam-
bridge Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; Cambridge Chapter,
R. A. M.; with the Odd Fellows, the Encampment,
the Knights of Pythias and the Grand Army Post
all of this city. In 18G4 he enlisted iu Company I
A, One Hundred and Seventy-second Ohio National j
Guards, and took part in the Kentucky and West
Virginia campaigns.

Thomas W. Ogier, junior partner of the firm of
Mahaffey it Ogier, and editor of the Herald, is a
half-brother of the gentleman vvhose history is



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



given above. He was born February 25, lfl55,
and has passed nearly his entire life in Cambridge.
Like his brother, he is a Democrat in politics, and
socially is a member of the Odd Fellow's lodge
and encampment. In religious faith he is a Meth-
odist.



JOHN KADERLY. This name will be at once
recognized as that of one of the leading bus-
iness men of New Philadelphia, where he is
carrying on a profitable trade as a grain and
seed dealer. He was born across the waters, in
Switzerland, October 3, 1837, and is the son of Ben-
jamin and Annie (Fry) Kaderly, who were also na-
tives of that country. The parents emigrated to
the United States in 1845, coming direct to this
count}', where they engaged in farm pursuits. The
father purchased a tract of land in Warwick Town-
ship, including one hundred and fourteen acres,
which he placed under excellent tillage and lived
upon for ten years. On disposing of this estate
at the expiration of that time, he rented a sixty-
acre tract in the same township, which he cultivat-
ed profitably for five years, and then located upon
forty- five acres, also in Warwick Township, mak-
ing this latter farm his home for a period of twen-
ty-two years. Being at that time advanced iu
years, the fatiier retired from farm life and took up
his abode in Trenton, where lie lived with his good
wife until tlieir decease.

Benjamin Kaderly was born in the year 1814, and
was seventy-four years old at the time of his death.
Annie, his wife, was one year younger at the time
of her death, which occurred in 1886. The pater-
nal grandfather of our subject was Benjamin Kader-
ly, a native of Switzerland.

To Benjamin and Annie Kaderly was granted
a family of six children, two sons and four daugh-
ters, Mary, who is now deceased; John, our subject;
Annie L., the wife of John Hinig, a gardener of
Goshen Township, this county; Reuben, who died
in childhood; Sarah A., nov,- Mrs. Nicholas Hert,



who lives in Warwick Township; and Lotta A., the
widow of Albert Roth, who makes her home in New
Philadelphia. The entire family were members of
the Reformed Church.

The original of this sketch remained under the
parental roof until attaining his twenty-second
year, when he left home and, going to Will County,
III., began clerking in a dry-goods store, remain-
ing in that capacity for a twelvemonth, when he
returned home. This was in 1861, and that same
year he was united in marriage with Miss Annie,
daughter of David and Elizabeth Niederhiser, a
native of Warwick Township, this county. At
her death in 1863 she left her husband one daugh-
ter, Emma, now the wife of Adam Gentz, a resident
otNew Philadelphia.

The second union of our subject, which took
place in 1864, was celebrated with Miss Caroline
Witmer, who was born in Switzerland in 1842, and
departed this life in 1870, leaving a family of three
children: Gusta, who is deceased, as is also Frank;
and Cora, now the wife of William Nussdorfer.
The last-named is living in Dover, where her hus-
band is engaged in the grocery business.

In the year 1871 John Kaderly was married to
Catherine Nussdorfer, whose birth occurred in
Bavaria, Germany, iii 1847. She was one in a
family of six children born to Leonard and Mar-,
garetta (Schuping) Nussdorfer, who were natives
of the Fatherland. By this union our subject has
been blessed with six children, four sons and
two daughters, viz.: Louis, deceased; Eugene, liv-
ing in this city; Theodore, attending college in
Cleveland; John O., Gertrude and Annie, the latter
three prosecuting their studies in the public schools
of New Philadelphia.

Although retiring from farm work when twent^'-
two years old, Mr. Kaderly is the proprietor of a
tract of three hundred acres of as fine land as is to
be found in the county. It is located in Goshen
Township and is leased at the present time. In
1861 our subject engaged in the butcher business
in this city, carrying on a well regulated market
for two years, when he sold out and began dealing
in provisions. He continued in this enterprise un-
til 1872, when he established a dry-goods store, and
continued to follow that line of trade until 1890,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



189



when he took advantage of a good offer made him
and sold out. He next began building the tile
works in this city, hut the following year sold his
interest in the enterprise and bought stock in the
New Philadelpliia Wire and Iron Works, of which
he is President. He also holds the same i)osition
in the New Philadelphia Light, Heat and Power
Compau}', and in other ways is also interested in
many of the leading business ventures in the city.
He takes great interest in politics, and is at all
times a strong supporter of the Diimocralic party
on which ticket he was elected a niomber of the
School Board, also of the Board of rifc...tli. Relig-
iously he is a consistent member of the Reformed
(■hurcli, in which he holds the position of Elder,
and with which he has been connected for thir*;-
five years. He gives a great deal of time to the
success of the Sunday-school and has been a teach-
er for many years. He is now serving on the
Building Committee, and his wide business knowl-
edge makes him a valued member of that body.



OLIVER C. POWLESON. a native and res-
ident of New Philadelphia, was one of tlie
brave boys in i)lue who fought manfully
under the Stars and Stripes during the War of the
Rebellion. He participated in many of the impor-
tant battles and engagements of the war, and was
frequently highly commended for his gallant and
meritorious service. For several years he has been
engaged in agricultural pursuits, but for the past
two years has been a resident of this place, em-
ploying his time in superintending the Ilensel
Coal-mine, east of the town, and looking after his
farm affairs.

Mr. Powleson was born March 21, 1843, to Rich-
ard and Elizabeth (ChurcJi) Powleson. The fa-
ther, who was a native of New Jersey, was born
on the nth of October, 1811, but his father, who
came to America in an earl}' day and settled near
Paterson, N. J., was a native of Holland. Richard
Powleson emigrated to Ohio in 1829, and set-



tled .at Bridgeport, Jefferson County. He was a
physician by profession, having been educated at
Wheeling, Va. In 1832 he came to New Philadel-
phia, where he practiced until 1865. Under Lin-
coln's administration he was Postmaster of this
place and was a leader in the Republican part}'.
Religiously he was identified with the Universalist
faith, but his wife was a member of the Methodist
Episcopal denomination. Tlie former departed
this life November 8, 1893, and the latter died in
1844.

Our subject's mother, who before her marriage
was Miss Elizabeth Churcli, was a native of Jeffer-
son County, Ohio. Her parents, John and Cath-
erine Cliureli, were born in England, and came to
the United States about 1806. The father was a
minister in the Methodist Episcopal Churcli, and
continued to dwell until his death in Jeffei-son
County. His last few years were passed upon a
farm which he owned and had purchased after re-
tiring from active religious work. Seven children
were born to Richard and Elizabeth Powleson.
George died in California, while engaged in min-
ing; William L. also went to California, and died
in 1881 in San Francisco, where his widow and
children are still living; Mary A. died in 1870;
and three other children died in infanc}'. Oliver
C. is the youngest in order of birth.

The early life of our subject was spent at home,
his time being passed in the acquisition of an ed-
ucation. April 18, 1861, he enlisted as a mem-
ber of Company F, Sixteenth Ohio Infantry, un-
der Colonel Irvine. He went to the front by wa}'
of Wheeling, Va., where the regiment stayed long
enough to get some old flint-lock muskets. They
were placed on guard dut}' along the Baltimore &
Ohio Railroad, with headquarters at Grafton, and
served the entire three months of their enlistment
in that localit\'. Though they were called out,
they were too late to take part in the battle of
Philippi. When their term of service had expired,
the coinpan}' was disbanded and Mr. Powleson re-
turned home, as he had contracted typhoid fever.
On the 3d of December, 1861, he re-enlisted,
and was assigned to Company B, Eightieth Ohio
Infantry, which rendezvoused at Camp Meigs. In
March they reported for duty at Paducah, Ky.,



190



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



and were ordered to Sliiloh, wiiere tliey arrived
too late to take part in tlie battle, but nevertheless
pursued the retreating rebels. The}' were active
in the siege of Corinth, and were placed in the
Second Brigade under General Sullivan, Third Di-
vision, commanded by Gen. A. J. Smith, and were
in the Seventeenth Army Coips, under General
Pope. The regiment took part in the battle of
luka and in that of Corinth. In the latter our
subject was wounded by a bullet, which passed
through his leftside. January 11, 1862, lie was
commissioned Second Lieutenant, and on the 4th
of the following October, the day he was wound-
ed, was made First Lieutenant. He was taken to
the hospital at Corinth and after six weeks of suf-
fering was sent home. For two months he was
unable to return to the front, as his injury was very
severe, the ball iiaving passed clear through his
body. Before the wound had healed he reported
for duly, but exposure soon laid him low again,
and he was sent to the hospital. From there he was
taken to a private house, and after six weeks of care-
ful nursing found himself able to rejoin his regi-
ment, which was stationed near Memphis, this be-
ing in April, 1863. Mr. Powleson took part in the
siege of Vicksburg with the Fifteenth Army Corps,
McPherson's Second Brigade, Third Division.
After the fall of Vicksburg, he reported at Mem-
phis, and with General Logan marched across to
Chattanooga. He was in the memorable battle of
Mission Ridge, on the extreme left of the Fifteenth
Corps, during the 24th and 25th of November.
His command was then assigned to guard the Chat-
tanooga &. Atlanta Railroad, and was thus em-
ployed until after Atlanta had fallen. In the de-
fense of Resaca he was called into action against
Hood, and stayed in that city until Sherman start-
ed on his march through Georgia. With his com-
mand he crossed the river and marched through
the Carolinas. While in Savannah he was trans-
ferred from his immediate command to fill a pos-
ition on General Logan's staff. In this capacity
he served until the Fifteenth Army Corps was dis-



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 19 of 83)