Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 21 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 21 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

cast in his lot with the inhabitants of Tuscarawas
County. He purchased a farm in Dover Town-
ship, on the Crooked Run, and set to work witii
energy to improve his place. In his native land
he was quite prominent, and held the position of
President of his village or community. In poli-
tics he was a Democrat, and in religion adhered
to the German Reformed Church. November 12,
1863, he was called from this life, while his wife,
Mary, died August 22, 1862. Of their twelve
children three became residents of this county.
They are as follows: Gottleib S., who lives in Wa-
terloo County, Canada; Susan M., who became the
wife of Benjamin Buhlmann, and resides in An-
drew County, Mo.; and Frederick C, whose name
heads this sketch.

In 1854 our subject came to the United States,
and three years later was married. For a few
years thereafter his home was in Shanesville, in
which citj' he was living when tiie war broke out.
In October, 1863, he enlisted at Uhriuhsville in the
Twenty-third Ohio Infantry', being assigned to

Company K, and sent to Columbus, whore he was
placed on detailed duty for six months in tiie de-
partment of transportation. During his entire
army service his lieadquarters were at Columbus,
though he was absent most of the time at other
points. He made trips to Nashville, Chattanooga,
Vicksburg and Atlanta, at the latter point meet-
ing Sherman's army on their march to the sea. His
business was to escort recruits to points where the^'
were needed, and on bis return bring back pris-

Tlie last expedition on wiiich our subject was
sent was to Wilmington, S. C. Finding the vessel
crowded in which he had intended to take passage
for New York, he, with otiiers of the troops, was
transferred to the " General Sedgwick," a fine
new transport. This was about the 1st of April,
1865. Tiie crowded ship was bound for Fortress
Monroe, but while off Cape llatteras it took (ire
and burned to tlie water's edge. There were fif-
teen hundred passengers on board, consisting of
solditrs and southern families, and all of this num-
ber, with the exception of twenty-nine Union sol-
diers, lost their lives. The Union men were res-
cued by our subject and others of the " General
Sedgwick," which went as near to the burning
vessel as possible, the sea running very high.
This experience was a terrible on6, never to be
forgotten by an eye-witness, and our subject has
often remarked that he would rather have passed
through all the battles of the war. The •' General
Sedgwick" arrived in New York City in safety,
but our subject was very sick, his illness having
resulted from the exposure to which he had been
subject while saving the lives of the rescued men
from the burning vessel. Returning to Columbus,
he there discharged, May 9, 1865. In his de-
partment of the service promotions were not in
order, though much of the time he held the rank
of sergeant.

Until 1867 Mr. Niederheiser engaged at his for-
mer occupation as a wagon -maker, and in the last-
mentioned year went to New Philadelphia. There
he made his residence for some three years, after
which, in 1870, he came to Biakes Mills. For the
past quarter of a century of his residence in this
place Ins time has been largely occupied in work-



ing at his trade He has been successful in the
acquisition of a competence, as he is industrious
and a thorough workman.

August 4, 1857, our subject married Ann Schny-
der. The lady is a daughter of Christian and
Elizabeth (Grunig) Schnyder. The former is de-
cea8«d, but his wife is still living, in the enjoy-
ment of good health, and makes her home with her
daughter Ann. To Mr. and Mrs. Niederheiser have
been born four children: Bertha, who became the
wife of Rev. Thomas Scantleburg, of the Methodist
Episcopal Church; John R., conductor on the Cin-
cinnati, Lebanon & Nortiiern Railway; Fred L.,
engineer on the "Big Four;" and Franc L., County
Surveyor of Ashland County, Ohio. Mrs. Scantle-
burg has three children, Mabel, Ralph and Lucy,
the latter of whom lives with her grandparents.
Mr. Scantleburg was called to his final rest June
12, 1891.

Our subject is a member of Andrew Crawford
Post No. 6, G. A. R., and is also identified witli
the Union Veteran League. He and his estimable
wife are members of the German Reformed Church,
and active workers in various benevolent organ-
izations. Our subject reflects credit upon the land
of his birth and the land of his adoption, for
he is a true patriot and devoted to the best inter-
ests of the community in which his home is made.



JOHN C. DONAHEY, ex-County Clerk of
Tuscarawas County, is an active worker
in the ranks of the Democratic party, and
since attaining his majority has frequently
been sent as a delegate to local conventions.
While serving as a county official he acquitted
himself to the full satisfaction of his constituents,
as was shown by his being continued so long in
the place. As a citizen he is held in great esteem,
and is one of the foremost men of New Philadel-

James Donahey, the father of John C, was a
native of Pennsylvania, but removed with his

parents to this county while quite young. His
father, James, Sr., a farmer, was a native of Ire-
land, who came to the United States at an early
day, settling near Pittsburg, Pa. James, Jr.,
served during the late War of the Rebellion, being
a teamster in the army, and the senior James was
a soldier in the War of 1812.

For many years James Donahey, Jr., operated a
farm in Perry Township, where he died in his
eighty-second year. He was a Democrat, and held
a number of township positions on various occa-
sions. Religiously he was identified with the
Presbyterian denomination. His wife, whose girl-
hood name was Isabel McCoy, was a native of this
county and of Irish parentage. Her father was a
farmer in Perry Township. Mrs. Donahey died
at the age of forty-eight years, leaving a large
number of friends and acquintances who deeply
mourned her loss. Of her thirteen children twelve
grew to maturity. In the order of their birth
they were as follows: Nancy (deceased), Isabel,
Robert M. (deceased), Cassie, Jane, Mary, James M.,
John C, Jesse F., Philander (deceased), Elsie A.
and Amanda.

The birth of our subject occurred October 13,
1845, in Perry Township, and with his parents he
continued to make his home until he was twenty-
six years of nge. His early education was obtained
in the public schools, after which he completed his
studies in Hagerstown Academy. When eighteen
years old he procured a certificate to teach, and
continued in this profession for about twelve years.
For the next twelve j'ears his attention was given
to the stock business, in which he met with dis-
tinct success. His father, who owned a valuable
farm of two hundred and fifty acres, raised and
dealt in stock, and in this manner his son had ac-
quired a practical knowledge of the business. A
portion of his time during the twelve years last
mentioned was devoted to farming in Perry

In the fall of 1887 Mr. Donahey was elected to
the position of County Clerk on the Democratic
ticket, and served so faithfully that he was re-elected
to the position. In the fall of 1890 he was returned
to the office, receiving a majority of eleven hundred
and fifty votes, and continued to serve until Au-



gust, 1894. For about eight years he was Townsliip
Clerk of Perry Township, and had the lionor of
being the first Mayor of the village of West Ches-
ter, at the same time acting as Justice of the Peace.
Since his last terra of office expired lie has not
been actively engaged in any particular line of
work, but will doubtless soon embark in a new en-

March 21, 1871, oifr subject was married, in
Perry Township, to Kate L., daughter of Jacob and
Harriet (Titus) Clieney, old settlers of tiiis county.
Three sons have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Dona-
hey, as follows: Alvin V., a printer by trade;
James H., who has also learned the printer's trade.

but is now in the art school at Cleveland; and
Jolm W. James H. lias developed quite a talent
as an artist, and has for his special aim the desire
to become a magazine or press illustrator. His fa-
ther possesses many specimens of his handiwork,
which plainly show great ability and [iromise for
the young man. The pleasant and commodious
home of our subject is tlie abode of hospitality, and
its doors are always wide open for the entertain-
ment of their many friends. In company with his
wife, he holds membership with the Methodist
Episcopal Church. Fraternally he is a member of
the Masonic order, and belongs to Equity Lodge
No. 73, K. of P.





ISAAC W. HALL, deceased, was for nearly fifty
years associated with tlie history of Millwood
Township and Quaker City, and perhaps did
more than any other man in causing the latter to
grow from an unpretentious hamlet to a thriving
and enterprising place. P^or years lie was con-
nected in one capacity or another with the Cen-
tral Ohio Railroad, now leased and operated by
the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and was at the
time of his death a stockholder and Director. One
of the promoters of the Quaker City National Bank,
he was for a time President of that institution, and
was also a Director of the old Guernsey Bank at
Washington, and the Central National Bank of
Cambridge. He was President of the Quaker City
Window Glass Company, and interested in many
other local industries. After a life of usefulness
and benefit to his fellow-townsmen he was called
to his final rest. May 29, 1886.

The great-grandfather of our subject was Isaac
Hall, who was born April 12, 1748, and was one of
three children (the others being Moses and Joseph)
born to Moses and Elizabeth Hall, natives of Eng-
land. The former was killed accidentally at a
mill, and, according to the old Jinglish law then
prevailing in North Carolina, the eldest son inher-
ited all of the real estate. Isaac, a small and
sickly boy of twelve years, was turned out upon
the world to make liis own living as best he could.
Seven years later he regained his health and was
never again sick until his last illness, his death oc-
curring at the age of eighty-five years and eleven
months. He married Ann, daughter of .Joseph and
Gulyelma White, and seven children were born to
them: Joseph, born December 4, 1772; Elizabeth,
March 14, 1775; Anna, February 20, 1777; Mir-

iam, July 31, 1779; Isaac, August 4, 1782; John,
October 24, 1784; and Moses, October 30,1789.
The parents lived- for several years after their mar-
riage in their native state, and after removing to
Wayne County, N. C, thence started for Ohio on
the 25th of May, 1805. The journey was made in
one-horse carts, and their destination, Belmont
County, was reached on the 26tli of June follow-
ing. With the exception of Anna and her brother
Moses, their children were all married in North
Carolina. Anna subsequently married Joseph Dodd,
and after her mother's death resumed iier place in
tlie household. They worshiped with the Quakers,
who held meetings at Stillwater, and for twenty-
eight years Isaac Hall was a punctual attendant.
His second marriage took place at Plainfield, De-
cember 24, 1807, to Dina Plummer, who died in
November, 1828. In theautumn of the following
year the husband went to live with his son John,
under whose roof his death occurred March 6,

John Hall, our subject's father, was in his twen-
ty-first year when he came to the Buckeye State,
and in August, 1806, he took up a building site on
section 13, this township, then a part of Noble
County. For days he slept at the root of an oak
tree, and lived on wild turkey, which abounded,
and the bacon, loaf of bread and cornraeal which
he brought from his father's home. After four
days' work he made a sufficient clearing to build a
cabin, and was assisted therein by the pioneers,
John Reed, Joseph Williams, John Pervus, and a
colored man named Charles Mewson. To his hum-
ble home he brought his bride, Phoebe, daughter
of John and Hannah Webster. Their marriage
was celebrated August 26, 1807, at a meeting of



Frienrisat Stillwater. Tlicy had a family of eight
children. Cyrus, born May 31, 1808, died June 16,
1884; Is-iac W. was born July 15, 1810; Thomas,
born February 14, 1812, died September 28, 1881;
John P., born August 26, 1815, died iMay 5, 1890;
Hannah A., born August 3, 1817, died May 22,1837;
Eli, born June 7, 1819, died August 1, 1891; Jesse,
born August 31, 1821, =^=^^iN"i^il^^i^^

JAMES W. SMALLWOOD. The profession
of law claims some of the brightest minds of
the age, and in the prominence of her repre-
sentatives of this class Cambridge is behind
no other city. In the affable gentleman whose
name introduces this sketch m.ay be found one who
thoroughly understands the vexed questions which
only legal minds can unravel, and who is meeting
with great success in his iiractice. He located in

Cambridge April 22, 1890, since which time he has
built up a good practice here.

Mr. Smallwood born in Vinton County, this
state, .June 11, 1858, and is the son of Peter and
Mary (Baker) Smallwood, natives, respectively, of
Hoss and Vinton Counties. Grandfather William
Smallwood was born in Virginia and was the first
of that name to locate in Ohio. This was in 1800,
at a time when Ross County was all woodland, and
Chillicothe was a small village. His object in
coming hither was to acciuiie a good property from
the cultivation of the fertile soil of t'.ic Buckeye
State, and in this venture he was not disappointed.

To Peter and Mary Smallwood there were born
five children, of whom our subject was the young-
est but one. Sarah became the wife of Caleb Dix-
on, a miller of Ross County; William J. is engaged
in farming in ^'inton County, this state; Simon P.
met his death while on a hunting expedition in
the Indian Territory in 188G, at the age of thirty-
one years; and Zoa is now the wife of E. S. Ray,
M. D., of Hainden Junction, Vinton County.

The original of this sketch first attended the
common schools of his native place, and being de-
sirous of gaining further knowledge, began teach-
ing in the fall of 1879, and continued till 1887.
In 1880 he graduated from the Ladoga School, in
the teachers' course; in 1883 he graduated in the
scientific course, with the degree of B. S., at the
National NormalUniversity of Lebanon. Ohio; and
in 1888 he graduated in the law course at the same
university with the degree of LL. B., and was ad-
mitted to practice at the Bar. In the fall of 1888
he gave attention to his professional duties first in
Chillicothe, where he lived for about eighteen
months, and then came to Cambridge, wlicre he is
well and favorahlj' known.

Mr. Smallwood was married, October 18, 1888, to
Jessie K., daughter of Osborn Beal, of Monroe
Township, Guernsey County. She is descended
from an old and highly esteemed family, which
originally came from Pennsylvania. Two chil-
dren have b^en the result of the union of our sub-
ject and his wife. Homer G. and Mary Helen. Po-
litically Mr. Smallwood is a stanch advocate of
Republican principles, and in 1894 was Secretary
of the County Republican Executive Comm>Hee



and Chairman of the Board of Deputy State Sup-
ervisors of Elections. He is a member of tiie Ma-
sonic and Odd Fellows' fraternities, in both of
wb'icti orders lie has held official positions.


eOL. GP:0RGE II. HILDT, one of the most
popular citizens of Canal Dover, is one of
the brave veterans of the War of the Re-
bellion. He enlisted as a private soldier, but on
account of gallantry and merit was soon promoted,
and thus continued until he was given his prp.•^ent
title. He enlisted in the early part of the w;ir, and
served until the fall of 1864, when he was obliged
to resign on account of broken health. His serv-
ice was very arduous, and was spent in several of
the most important campaigns of the war. Of late
years he has been Pension Claim Agent in this
place, and has also dealt to some extent in real es-
tate. His first Presidential ballot was cast for Fre-
mont, and since that time he has been one of the
ardent supporters of the Republican party.

Rev. John Hildt, the grandfather of the subject
of this sketch, was born in Poland, September 21,
1775, and died at Canal Dover, April 4, 1862. He
had just completed his education when his country
became a theater of war. The infamous combina-
tion of the Russian, Prussian and Austrian Gov-
ernments to conquer and divide Poland had ex-
cited the indignant feelings of its people, and
among the youth who rushed to sustain Kosciusko
in liis efforts to rescue his country was young
Hildt. He followed the fortunes of that brave
leader until the disastrous battle of Warsaw, where
ten thousand patriots fought for eight hours
against fifty thousand Russians; Kosciusko had
previously fallen and been taken Drisoiier, but his
spirit animated las followers. Mr. Hildt had the
choice of two evils: to surrender and be murdered
by the Russians, or run the risk of drowning in the
Vistula. He chose the latter, aiid escaped by swim-
ming the river. Though all seemed lost save

honor, Hope pointed to the Star of Freedom in
the Western Hemisphere. In 1800 he crossed the
Atlantic and settled in Baltimore, Md.. where he
soon found friends, who assisted him in business,
'and he became a tanner.

In the War of 1812 the Polish hero did not re-
main an idle spectator of his adopted country's
struggle, but at once volunteered, became a Cap-
tain, and took part in the battle of North Point,
near Baltimore. In 1802 he became a member of
the German Methodist Churcii, and soon afterward
he began preaching, a vocation which he followed
for about twenty years in Pennsylvania, Mary-
land, Virginia and Ohio. In May, 182.5, he at-
tended a general conference of the United Brethren
in Christ near Canal Dover, and in 1829 he joined
the Muskingum Conference, and was made Pre-
siding Elder. He wrote the discipline of the
church and the life of Bishop Newcomer, for whom
New Conierstown n.imed. Soon after locating
in Baltimore he married, and by this marriage be-
came the father of nine chiidien. Their mother's
death occurred in 182.5. and later he married
Mary Wolgainuth, who died May 27, 18.57, aged
seventy-six years, two months and seven days.

Of the children of Rev. John Hildt, the eldest.
Rev. George Hildt, was at the time of his death,
with one exception, the oldest minister in the
Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, in which he had preached for fifty-five
years. John, the father of the Colonel, was the
second in the family. Daniel devoted his entire
life to merchandising. Rev. Francis was a minis-
ter in the United Brethren Church, and died in
1859, when in his fiftieth year. Of the three
daughters, Eliza, the eldest, married Rev. John
Baer, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the
B.iltiinore Conference, and died May 17, 1875, at
the age of seventy jears; Mary, who never married,
died in Canal Dover in August, 1862, aged forty-
five years; and Eve is the wife of F. E. Keller, who
lives near this place.

The birth of John Hildt occurred September 29,
1807, in Baltimore, where he continued to reside
until he was eleven years of age, when, with his
father's faniil_\, he roiiHived U> Marlinsluirg, W.
Va. There he worked in his father's t.innery nn-



til 1830, when lie came to Ohio. In 1831 he mar-
ried Maria E. Gloninger, of Baltimore, and at once
took his wife to a farm lying five miles west of
Canal Dover. In 1834 he became a resident of
this place, and later Superintendent of the Ohio
Canal, a position which he held for four years.
From 1850 to 1855 he was Auditor of the county,
after which his time was employed in a produce
and commission business. All Republicans now
living who attended the conventions from 1840 to
1870 well remember his speeches. To himself and
wife were born four children, two of wliom sur-
vive, Mrs. W. C. Deardorff and George H. The de-
mise of the father occui red in this city February
1, 1885, and his son Daniel G. died in Baltimore,
Md.. in May, 1887.

Col. G. H. Hildt was born in Canal Dover, Oc-
tober 11, 1835, and was educated in tlie common
schools. Wiien fifteen years of age he entered his
father's office, the latter being at the time County
Auditor. In 1856 the 3uung man obtained a po-
sition as clerk in a general store at Bolivar, where
he remained for two years. In the winter of 1855
he taught school and also engaged in farming,
after which his time was occupied for a year in
running a produce business. In 1858 he went to
Kansas, where he pre-empted a quarter-section of
land, which he subsequently puichased. In 1859
he kept books in St. Louis for Gaylord, Son & Co.,
at No. 301 North Main Street, and the following
year he returned to Dover.

On the 20th of April, 1861, George II. Iliklt en-
listed in Company F, Sixteenth Ohio Infantry,
and carried a musket for six weeks. He was pro-
moted to the rank of Second Lieutenant June 5,
1861, but on account of the expiration of its term
of enlistment the company was mustered out of
service on the 18th of the following August. In
the mean time Mr. Ilildt had gone on an expedition
to Philippi, and had taken part in engagements
near Bealington and Carrick's Ford in July. Au-
gust 24, 1861, heiecruited and was made Captain of
Company I, Thirtieth Ohio, and January 28, 1862,
he promoted to be Major. At Raleigh, W. Va.,
he relieved Lieut.-Col. R. B. Hayes, by taking
command of that post during the winter. Un-
til May, 1862, he served in the Third Brigade,

Department of West Virginia, and in the First
Brigade, Kanawha Division. In the Army of the
Potomac .ind his regiment he served in Cox's
division. Ninth Corps, until the month of October,
1862, and in Ewing's brigade. Array of West Vir-
ginia, until December, 1862. From then to Janu-
ary, 1864, he was in the Third Brigade, Second
Division, Fifteenth Corps in the Army of the Ten-
nessee; and was then in the Second Brigade, Sec-
ond Division, of the Fifteenth Army Corps up to
July 1, 1864, when he was assigned to the First
Brigade of the same division and corps, in which
he acted until September, 1864.

The memorial escutcheon in possession of Colonel
Ilildt shows, in part, a record of services in the
first year of the war as follows: September 6 to
December 22, 1861, operations against bushwhack-
ers and guerrillas in the vicinity of Sutton Heights.
W. Va.; December 23, 1861, to February 4, 1862,
duty at Fayettcvillc; February 5 to March 10,
1862, command of post at Raleigh C. H., W. Va.
After that his record of service was as follows:
Battle of Princeton, May 15, 16 and 18, 1862;
Great Flat Top Mountain, May 19, 1862; from
August 16 to 26, 1862, duty at Pope's headquar-
ters; second battle of Bull Run, August 27 to Sep-
tember 3; Monocacy, September 9 and 10; South
Mountain, September 14; Antietam, Seiitember 17;
and expedition to Logan C. H., November 30 to
December 10. On the 31st of December, 1862, the
Colonel and his command were sent to Arkansas,

Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 21 of 83)