Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 24 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 24 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


JOHN A. HOSTETLER, an attorney-at-law, is
one of tlie pushing and energetic citizens
of Canal Dover. He applies himself closely to
his own affairs, and thoroughly deserves the
success which he is achieving. In 1882 he was
chosen Mayor of this place, as the candidate on an
independent ticket. He has never sought office
for himsejf, and has frequently refused to allow
his name to be proposed for nomination, and only
in the interests of his party did he consent to run
for the oftlce mentioned. For three years he served
as a member of the School Board, for the cause of
education finds in him a stalwart friend. He en-
joys one of the largest and most paying practices
in this county, and from the time of his first en-
deavors in his profession has rapidly forged his
way to the front.

The parents of J. A. Hostetler were Adam and
Catherine (Hartzler) Hostetler, natives of Pennsyl-
vania. The Hostetler family is of Swiss origin and founded in America in early Colonial days.
In 1859 Adam Hostetler and family removed to
Tuscarawas County, and settled in Sugar Creek

The birth of John A. Hostetler occurred in Mif-
flin County, Pa., December 31, 1845. His boyhood
was passed on his father's farm, and his education
was partially obtained at Alleghany College, in
Meadville, Pa. Later he taught school for a few
terms, but being ambitious of a wider field of work
he took up legal studies and entered the law de-
partment of the University of Michigan at Ann
Arbor, being graduated from the same in 1872.
In the following year, he opened an office in Canal
Dover, and ever since has 'oecn engaged in gen-
eral practice in this place. He has met with grati-



fying success, and has kept abreast of the times
by private study and by constant pcisual of tlie
books in his fine law library, wliicii is considered
one of tlie best to be found in tlie county.

Politically Mr. Ilostetler was formerly identified
with the Greenback part3-, his first Presidential
rote being in favor of Peter Cooper. At present
!ie IS a Populist and an ardent supporter of his
3hosen party. In local affairs he is independent,
as he chooses to vote for the one whom he consid-
ers the best man for the office. 11 is fatlier was an
Abolitionist of a strong type, and the first book
which our subject remembers readino^ was the cele-
brated "Uncle Tom's Cabin," winch lie read aloud
evenings after school, and which made a lasting im-
pression on iiis mind. Socially he is a member of
the Odd Fellows and tlie Knights of Pythias organ-

July 28, 1872, Mr. Hostetler was united in
marriage with Kizzie E. Smiley. The Smiley fam-
ily was among the earliest to settle in this section
of the country. They were of Irish descent, and
the first of the name in this county was one George
Smiley. Mrs. Ilostetler is a daughter of .lames
Smiley, one of the old and respected citizens of
this locality. To our subject and wife have been
born three children: Maude S., Harry II. and Helen
B., all of whom are at home.

JOHN CHRISTIAN JOSS is the leading jew-
eler of New Phil.adelpliia, where he has car-
ried on an extensive trade -for more than a
quarter of a century, and is esteemed one of
her best citizens. He is a native of the Buckeye
State, his birth having occurred in Toledo, July 12,

John N., the father of our subject, was born in
the canton of Berne, Switzerland, and came to the
United States in 1831. With his father he pro-
ceeded at once to Lockport, now known as Biakes
Mills, and immediately located in New Philadel-
phia. His parents were Nicholas and Barbara (Eb-

ersold) Joss, wlio came from worthy Swiss families.
Nicholas Joss was a gentleman of fine education,
and in his native land followed tlie profession of
teaching. After becoming an inhabitant of Ohio,
he engaged in farming in Holmes County, his
place being situated where he located in 1832, on
Walnut Creek. There he resided up to the time
of his death, which occurred in the year 1840. Re-
ligiously he was a German Lutheran. After his
death, his widow resided with her eldest son,
N. F. Joss, at Wiuesburg, until her demise, which
occurred in the year 1859.

John N. Joss, father of John Christian, was
about seventeen years of age when he came to this
state. After his father's death he went to Cleve-
land and engaged in the brewery business, but
was shortly burned out, when he immediately
went to Toledo and became interested in the mill-
ing trade. On account of sickness, he decided to
remove to Chicago, where he arrived about 1846.
He had the honor of putting down the first arte-
sian well in the last-named city, and continued in
that occupation for a short time, he being the
inventor of his drilling machine. Next, going to
Milwaukee, he opened a hotel, which he carried on
for several years, it being known as the Huron
Street House. In 1851 he sold out, returned to
Chicago, and from there went to Aurora. In that
place he engaged in contracting and in construction
work on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad.
In the mean time three of the sons, namelj^ John,
(Jeorge M. and AVilliam F., returned to Ohio,
settling at Winesburg, and there they were joined
later by their mother. The father was found dead
near what is now known as Blue Island, III., and it
is generally believed bj' the famil}' that his death
was caused by sunstroke. His wife finally settled
in Canal Dover, where she lived for several years
with members of her family. At present her home
is with her daughter, Mrs. Frank Hiner, of Cleve-
land. Her maiden name was Catherine Smith, and
she is of German descent.

Christian Smith, our subject's maternal grand-
father, who was born in Germany, came to the
United States in 1819, and for years was a manu-
facturer of spectacles and jewelry, cariying an ex-
tensive stock of watch materials on Second Street,



Philadelpliia. His health failing him about 1829,
he went to Holmes County, tliis state, where he
purcliased land and laid out the town of Wines-
burg. His wife, whose maiden name was Harriet
Martin, was a native of Maryland. They had
born to them ten children: William, George, Er-
nest, Henr^', Edwin, Julia, Sophia, Lucy, Catiierino
and Henrietta. The mother died at the old home-
stead, at the advanced .ige of ninety-two years.
Mrs. Catherine Joss first identified with the
German Lutheran Church, later was connected
with the German Metiiodists, afterward was much
interested in the work of the Salvation Army, and
is now a believer in the doctrines set forth by the
Society of Friends. She lias written and published
a book called, "Autobiogr.iphy of Mrs. Catherine
Joss." It is a volume which possesses literary
merit, and is attractive and interesting in style.

John Christian Joss is one of eight children born
to John N. and Catherine Joss. George, the eld-
est of the family, is now a resident of Indianapolis,
Ind.; Eraelia died in infancy; William died in
18U9, from the effects of a wound received in the
War of the Rebellion, while lie was a member of
the Thirtieth Ohio Infantry; Ernest died in in-
fancy; Amelia married Charles Schauffler, of Alle-
gheny', Pa.; Henrietta became the wife of Frank
Hiner, of Cleveland, Ohio; and Barbara wedded
Lafayette Hiner, of Wellsville, Ohio.

The early life of the subject of this narrative
was spent under the parental roof. . Leaving Au-
rora about 1851, he returned to Ohio, in company
with his brothers George and William, and was
employed by his maternal grandfather near Wines-
burg. In the spring of 1857 he went to live with his
uncle, Ernest Smith, who was a farmer in Kansas,
but now a resident of London, England. In 1859
our subject returned to this city and found em-
ployment in the old woolen factory. The follow-
ing year he went into the machine-shop of Eng-
lish, Helmick & Dixon as an apprentice (to a
machinist), and after completing his three-3'ears
term continued working at the trade until 1864.
At that time he enlisted in the One Hundred and
Seventy-eighth Ohio Infantry, in Company H, as a
musician, but was transferred to headquarters and
made Regimental Bugler. The regiment was placed

in the Twenty-third Corps, Department of the
Tennessee, and later was in the Department of
North Carolina, under General Scliofield. Mr. Joss
took [lart in several battles and engagements, and
was [Jiesent in the encounter at Murfreesboro. He
was mustered out at Todd Barracks, July 10, 18t;5.

After his return from the service Mr. Joss en-
gaged in working at his trade for about a year.
In 1807 he went into partnership with his brothei
William in the jewelry business, and with liim
learned the trade. He continued with his brother
until the latter's death in 1870. A brother, George,
then became a member of the firm, which was
known as Jots Bros. In 1877 this connection was
dissolved, and our subject continued alone until
the spring of 1891, when his son John E. became
fnterested as a partner in the firm, now known as
J. C. Joss it Son. John E. Joss is an optician, and
is in charge of this department of the business. In
1884 our subject's location was changed to No.
223 West High Street. He had occupied a part of
the Williams Block up to the time it was taken
for court house purposes. In addition to carry-
ing a general line of fine jewelry and optical
goods, Mr. Joss deals in French and German china,
pianos, organs and sewing-machines and enjoys a
lucrative trade.

In this city J. C. Joss was married. May 30, 1871,
to Emma M., daughter of John I. and Marinda
(Sterling) Smith. The former was born at Hagors-
town, Md., while his wife was born at Canton,
Ohio. Mr. Smith, who was a druggist, died April 3,
1894, and his wife's demise occurred October 9,
1889. To Mr. and Mis. Joss have been born the
following children: John E., Mary C, Charles E.
(who died in infancy), Carrie P. and George S.
The parents are regular attendants at the Method-
ist Episcopal Church, of which Mrs. Joss is a

In his political faith our subject is identified
with the Republican party, and is now a member
of the City Council. For the past three years he
has been Commander of Andrew Crawford Post
No. fi, G. A. R. He is also an Odd Fellow, being a
member of Lodge No. 107, and of Bethesda En-
campment No. 39. At this writing he is Lieuten-
ant-Colonel of the Third Regiment of the Patriots



Militant, I)ci)aitmcnt of Oiiio, and has iield the
rank of Major on General Underwood's staff.
During the late strike at Canal Dover, Colonel
Joss joined the militia, and with four picked men
went to the assistance of the soldiers, who were
surrounded by aiirl in danger of the mob element.
In every way he has contributed toward the ad-
vancement C)f the public good in this locality, and
IS considered one of the most enter|)rising citizens
of New Philadelphia. lie was the projcftor and
the leading promoter of the Street Fair in this
place, which has now become quite an institution,
and bids fair to supersede the old-time county
fairs. A man of strict integrity and correct busi-
ness principles, Mr. Joss has the esteem and con-
fidence of the public. He was for more than
twenty-five years connected witli the fire depart-
ment, and proved himself one of the most com-
[letent engineers. He also erected tlie first town
clock in this city, that of the Lutheran Church.

♦^^■^[email protected]#@l^l^

JOHN WEAVER owns a good homestead,
comprisingono hundred and forty-five acres,
situated three-quarters of a mile east of Gib-
son Station, in Richland Township, Gueinsey
County. He settled upon this homestead soon aft-
er his marriage, and placed upon it all the im-
provements which now make it one of the most
valuable farms in the county. These include a
substantial farm house, barns, fences, outbuildings,
etc. A thrifty and industrious agricultui ist, Mr.
Weaver has also the happy disposition and sunny
temper which readily make friends, and by one
and all who know him he is held to be a good cit-
izen, a kind neighbor and an entertaining com-

In tracing the history of John Weaver's ances-
tors, it appears that one, Hans Weaver, born De-
cember 10, 1776, and his wife, Susannah, born Au-
gust 16, 1787, emigrated to Ohio from the parish of
Killibaugh, County Down, Ireland, in 1820. This
record was set down in his own handwriting in the

Bible which is now owned by his descendant, our
subject. This worthy couple of Irish pioneers were
the parents of ten children, several of whom were
born in the Emerald Isle. Hans Weaver settled
on a tract of three hundred acres in Wills Town-
ship, three-fourths of a mile eastof Gibson Station,
where he hewed out a farm from the virgin forest,
.■Ind built a log house, where genuine Irish hospi-
tality was always found. He became quite suc-
cessful in raising wheat, which he hauled to the ca-
nal at New Coraerstown. An industrious and hard-
working man, he prospered and to his first purchase
added one hundred and thirty-five acres more. A
large and better constructed log house in time
supplanted the humble cabin, and this in turn was
succeeded by a large frame house, that is still in
existence. A large barn was put up for the storing
of the abundant crops raised on the farm.

Of the children born to Ilans and Susannah
Weaver, the eldest, Robert, never married; Judith
became the wife of James Gibson, on whose land
Gibson Station is now located; Nellie died in child-
hood; Grace is unmarried; Hans, Jr., married Har-
riet Bigham; John was the first of the family born
in the United States; James and William have never
married; Edwin chose for his wife Annie Duncan,
and of their three children only one survives,
namely, Hans Stuart, of Denver, who is in the lum-
ber business; and the joungest of the family, Car-
lisle, died in infancy. After living for over three-
score and ten years, Hans AVeaver and wife laid
down the burdens of life, the former dying Febru-
ary 20, 186G, and the latter April 10, 1872.

The boyhood of John Weaver was passed on his
father's farm, where his cheerful and bright manner
of looking at ever3'thing made him a favorite.
Ilis birth occurred August 9, 1821, and until he
was thirty years old he gave his assistance to clear-
ing the farm and acquiring a practical knowledge
of .agricultural duties. December 18, 1851, he mar-
ried Deborah, a daughter of Nimrod and Rebecca
Williams, two early settlers of this county. Four
children came to bless their hearthstone, named as
follows: Hans, Preston G., Grace O. and Dora Ma-
bel. The elde^t son, who lives on the old home
stead, married Mary F. LaRue, and they have three
children: William Edwin, Frederick Tuttle and



Hattic A. The second son mai ricd Sadie E. Frame,
by whom he has six children: John R., Maud, Daisy,
Jennie, Alice and Zeltie L. Grace, Mrs. Frank Mc-
Gee, is the mother of two children : James Clarence
and Edwin Ro}-. Dora M. is the wife of Thomas
McGee, and has one child, William Ra^'. They
also live on a portion of the old homestead. Jlrs.
Deborah Weaver, who was a lady of many excel-
lent qualities, passed to the home beyond April 12,
1885. The family have long been highly respected
and enjoy the friendship and good-will of a host
of life-long acquaintances and neighbors. On
questions of politics John Weaver is a Democrat,
as was his father before him.


E^ UNKST SKNl-T, who is engaged in the
C) rurnilnrr :niil nndeitaking business at Tus-
carawas, has liL'cn the aichilcct of his
own forlune, and has risen to his present r.espccted
position in the coininmiity througli his own ster-
ling characteristics and industrious efforts. For
the past twenty years he has served as Church
Trustee, and for a period of six years he School
Director. At all times he has given freely- of his
means to the support of worthy measures, and has
actively advanced the welfare of this county. He
owns one hundred and thirt^'-five acres of land in
Warwick Township, in addition to valuable town

George and Elizabeth (Danncr) Senft, the par-
ents of our subject, were natives of German}', and
there the iatter's death occurred in 1851, when she
was sixty years of age. The father was born March
24, 1787, and died in June, 1862. He was the only
child of Adam Senft, who was born and died in
the Fatherland. In 1856 (Teorgc Senft crossed
the Atlantic with his two daughters, and on land-
ing in New York City remained there for a short
time. Thence they went to Cleveland, where they
i-emained a week, as they had run out of funds.
In response to a letter asking his son Ernest to
come to his assistance, the father received the

looked-for aid, and reached this county in due
time. He remained here for a year and a-lialf, and
then went to Warsaw, Coshocton Count}', where
he lived for the rest of his life. George and Eliza-
beth Senft were the parents of thirteen children,
namely: Frederick, George and Charles, who are
deceased; Ernest; Adam, a tanner by occupation,
whose home is Florida, Ala.; Elizabeth and
Susan, deceased; Catlierine, wife of George Fisher,
a retired carpenter of Fort Wayne, Ind.; Hannah,
deceased; M.ary, widow of F. Kaufman, of this city;
Minnie, Mrs. Lambert, who lives on a farm in Mis-
souri; and two who died in infancy. F'or many
years George Senft, Sr., was Justice of the Peace
in Baden, Germany. lie was a devoted member
j)f the Lutheran Church, and was respected and
beloved by all who knew him.

Ernest Senft, of this sketch, was born in Baden,
Germany, January 12, 1828, and received a good
education in his mother tongue. In 1847 he took
passage on an American sailing-vessel, and after
lifly-cight days on the briny deej) landed in New
York City, January 9, 1848. He had learned the
cabinet-maker's trade, and hoped to get emi)loy-
ment in New York, but not being able to do so, he
went to Filizabethport, N. J., where he remained
for about eight months. He then came to this
county, where he secured work at his trade for the
next two years, after which he went into partner-
ship with Eli Hawbaugh. At the end of a year
and a-half they dissolved the partnership, our sub-
ject buying the other's interest, and he has since
continued the business. He is a practical and
thorough workman, and articles turned out from
his shop are always relied upon by his customers
to be exactly as represented.

In 1850 Ernest Senft married Apalonia Engel,
who was born in German}', August 13, 1832. Her
parents, Nicholas and Catherine (Ritter) Engel,
also of the F'atherland, emigrated to the United
States in 1836, and settled in this countj'. The
father died in 1868, aged sixty-six years, but his
wifg, who ig still living, is now making her home
with a daughter in Iowa. Her son Peter is a
farmer in Kansas; the next child, Catherine, is
deceased; Barbara is the wife of John Shoemaker,
a farmer of Warwick Township; Jacob is deceased;



Julia is the wife of T. Remrael, an Iowa farmer;
and Joseph and Benjamin, twins, arc also living in
that state.

To Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Sonft liave been born
eleven children, seven of whom are living, namely:
Theodore, an insurance agent of this place; Henry
J., a boiler-maker of Dennison, Ohio; Peter, who
is a conductor on the railroad, and has his head-
quarters at Dennison; Julia, of Sheridan, Pa.; Cora
E., who lives in Dennison; Emma and Hannah.
Those who have been called from this life arc
Adam K., Catherine, Mary and George. Mr. and
Mrs. Senft are members o( the Luthe- Church, in
which the former has served as an Elder for the
past decade. In regard to politics he is atliliated
with the Republican party.


JOHN KIRKPATRICK, deceased, was one of
the most honored citizens of Cambridge, and
for fourteen years was editor and publisher
of the Jeffersnntan. whicii lie placed on a firm
financial basis and made one of the best journals
in this portion of the state. He held many posi-
tions of honor and trust, and participated in great
and varied enterprises. His birth occurred in
Middlebourne, this county. May 6, 183!», and his
death on the 3d of December, 188G.

John Kirkpatrick a son of Alexander and
ISIargaret (Scott) Kirkpatrick, who were well known
to all the pioneers of the county. The lad re-
ceived a common-school education, after whicli he
entered the old Miller Academy at Washington,
and then graduated from the Cleveland Law
School. In order to help defray his expenses, he
began teaching school when sixteen years old. He
was admitted to the Bar shortly before the Civil
War broke out. As a n^w county had been formed
in Kentucky, with Catlettsburg as the county seat,
he went thither to begin his practice, and from the
first his advancement promised to be both rapid
and lasting. Unfortunately the clouds of war

were gathering, and on account of his Union sen-
timents the young lawyer found it necessary to
return North. Taking uii his home in Middle-
bourne, he continued in his profession, and earl}-
in the war took up claims of wounded and dis-
abled soldiers, and was very successful in prosecut-
ing their just demands. He soon gave employ-
ment to a number of clerks, who' were engaged
wholly in the pension business, and this line of
work he conducted up to the time of his death.
Probably no man in the United States has success-
fully carried through as many pension claims as he
has done without being at any time charged or
suspected, either b}- the Government or client, with
doing a dishonorable act.

During his residence in Middlebourne Mr. Kirk-
patrick became acquainted with journalism. In
company with Alexander Cochran, he published a
paper advertising his pension business and Mr.
Cochran's real-estate business. Later he estab-
lished a paper called The Boy in Blue, devoted to
the interests of the soldiers, and which had a wide
circulation. In 1872 he came to this city and
bought the Jeffersonian, and the success of his en-
terprise is too well known to be dwelt upon at
an}' length. In 1877 he was appointed by the
Governor to serve as a member of the Ohio River
Commission, and was later re-appointed. lie was
Trustee of the Soldiers and Sailors' Oi|»lians' Home
under the administrations of Governors Bishop
and Foster, and was a Trustee of the Oucrnse\'
County Children's Home from its founding to the
date of his decease.

In cveiy walk of life he was generous, straiglit-
forward and honorable. He had an acute and
penetrating mind, and rarely made a mistake in his
judgments. He was deepi}- read in history, was
a lover of the standard poets, and his writings were
conspicuous for their logic and forcefulness. He
was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and was a liberal giver to all charitable objects.
Prominent in Masonic circles, he had attained the
proud eminence of the Thirt}'-second Degree, and
was also a member of the Knights of Pythias.
During his last illness, which covered a period of
seventeen months, he was patient and ap[)reciative
of the faithful attendance of his family, who did



ever3'tl)ing in tlieir power to alleviate his suffer-
ings. His wife and three sous, Roger, John and
William, were left to mourn liis loss. The mem-
bers of the Bar were present in a bod^-, as also the
editors and |)rintcrs of the town, to iiay the last
tributes of respect and love to their friend and
colleague, and the Masons of Washington assisted
the local fraternity in their last sad rites. The
members of the Bar, the Masonic lodges and the
local editors and printers each assembled in separ-
ate convention and drew up resolutions of respect
and condolence, which were sent to the surviving
members of Mr. Kirpatrick's family'.


ry APT. CHRISTIAN DEIS is classed among
^\y those to whom this country owes a debt
of gratitude for the noble part which tiiey
took in defending the Stars and Stripes during the
late war. He is at present residing in Canal Do-
ver, where he commands the respect of all who
know him, and is regarded us one of its promi-
nent citizens.

Our subject is a native of Tuscarawas County,
and was born October 23, 1843, to John and Sa-
lome (Arnold) Deis. The father was a native of
German3', while the mother was born in Tusca-
rawas County, this state. John Deis emigrated to
the United States about the year 1837. He re-

Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 24 of 83)