Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 28 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 28 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


making her home in Lectonia. In politics the
senior Mr. Hardman was a Prohibitionist during
his last years. His three children were: Daniel, who
died in childhood; Lyman, of this sketch; and Mar-
garet J., wife of Dr. J. IJ. Berlotle, of Lectonia.
Michael Hardman went to California in the spring
of 1852, and was there engaged in mining for about
two and a-half years. During the gold excitement
at Pike's Peak he also made a trip to that locality,
and on both of these expeditions to the West he
wasfairl}' successful.

Lyman Hardman secured his primary e^pcation
in the public schools of this place. He was only
nineteen years of age when he enlisted for the de-
fense of his country, August 23, 1861, being mus-
tered in at Camp Chase as a private in Company
1, Third Ohio Infantry. Early in September he
was ordered into West Virginia and placed under
command of General Rosecrans. With his com-
pany he engaged in skirmishing until the battle of
South Mountain, in which his regiment participa-
ted. During this fight, and also in the battle of
Antietam, young Lyman was on the sick list, but
after the latter engagement fell into the ranks, and
marched to Vicksburg. He took part in all the
movements prior to the attack on Vicksburg,
having been sent there from a point on the Yazoo
River. He reached Vicksburg on the 18th of May,
and during the siege was in the Second Division of
the Fifteenth Army Corps until the fall of the city.
He then went to Jackson and took part in the battle
at that place. Returning, he camped about twelve
miles from Vicksburg, on Big Black River, from
where he moved to Memphis by boat. Being sent to
Chattanooga, he took part in the battle which occur-
red there November 2.'i. Soon afterward the regi-
ment was ordered to the relief of Burnside at Knox-
ville, but before they had made the entire distance
they were turned back and sent to Larkinsville, on
the Memphis &, Charleston Railroad, where they
passed the winter in camp. About the 9th of April,
Mr. Hardman went home on a thirty-days furlough,
after which he rejoined his regiment at Columbus,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



243



and later went to Kingston, Ua., where Sherman's
army was. In the Atlanta campaign he was first
engaged in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain, his
company being placed to the right of the principal
line of battle, and in this notable engagement his
Second Lieutenant was killed. On account of fe-
ver Mr. Hardman was sent to the hospital at
Marietta, Ga., but soon after the battle of Atlanta
was able to join his regiment. When General Hood
moved north, the company to which our subject be-
longed was ordered to follow him for a time, and
proceeded into the northern part of Alabama. Re-
turning to Atlanta, they joined Sherman, and with
him started .on a march through Georgia. In the
siege of Ft. McAllister, the young soldier received
a wound in his left foot, as the result of tiie ex-
plosion of a torpedo. He was also cut in manj'
places, and for five days it seemed certain that he
would lose the use of his eyes. For a week lie was
in the Held hospital and then was sent to the one
at Beaufort, S. C. P'or several weeks thereafter he
was an inmate of Davids Island Hospital in New
York, but in March went to Camp Dennison, where
he was mustered out June 14, 1865.

On resuming his business life Mr. Hardman re-
turned to New Philadelphia, and conducted a liv-
ery stable in this place and also one in Uhriclisville.
After six years of work in this direction lie engaged
in farming for a time. Subsequently he carried on
a general store al_Uhnchsville, and is still the
owner of the store and a good stock of goods. He
has built up a large and remunerative trade in tliat
locality, and by attention to business has become
well off financially. While a resident of that city
he served for two terms as Councilman, and in
1893 was nominated for County Clerk on tlie Re-
publican ticket. lie was elected by a majority of
five hundred and sixty-one votes, and took pos-
session of the office August 6, 1894, at wliicli time
he removed to this city. For his brave service and
wounds received in the war he receives a small pen-
sion. Socially he is a member of the Grand Army
post at Uhriclisville, having always had a warm
place in his lieart for the bojs who wore the blue.

In New Philadelphia Mr. Hardman was married,
September 17, 1868, to Lucinda E. Fribley. Iler
father, Daniel Fribley, was a native of Penns3'lva-



nia, as was also his wife, who bore the maiden name
of Leah Edmonds. Mrs. Hardman is a devoted
member of tlie Methodist Episcopal Church, and
by lier marriage has become the mother of four
children, namely: Jessie, who died at the age of
three years; Leah Charlotte, May Fribley and
Ediiiond L.



:£)#i#G:



AMUEL TOOMEY is a manufacturer of
Canal Dover, and is well known in all
parts of the United States and England as
a builder of the noted sulkies which bear his name.
Many a horseman has referred to him as "the old
man with the specs," but he keeps the glasses
polished and is always up to the times. When the
pneumatic sulky was first heard of, in 1892, the
firm of Toome> & Co. put the Hist complete one
on the market. It was exhibited at the Cleveland
fall races, and "Hal Pointer" paced one of his fast-
est miles while hitched to the new vehicle. Dur-
ing the past eight years our subject has taken out
nine dififerent patents for the improvement of
track sulkies, and each of these has added to the
already great renown of this well known sulky.

The groat-grcat-grandfalher of our subject was
an Irishman, who came to America with Lord Bal-
timore. For several generations all records of his
descendants have been lost. Peter Toomey, our
subject's father, lived in York County-, Pa., where
he followed the trade of a tailor. He was a great
l)erforiner on the violin, and for forty-five years
his living was principally gained in this manner.
In 1815 he visited the Moravian missions in this
county, and with his bow and fiddle effectually
won the friendship of the redinen. This violin,
which is in the possession of Samuel Toomey, is an
heirloom of great value. His father married Cath-
erine Lcightly, a German lady, whose father, after
coming to America, bought a section of the Will-
iam Penii purchase of land in York County, Pa.
Mr. Leightly had previously been married, and by
his two wives recred a family of twenty-three
children. His second wife lived to the advanced



244



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



nge of ninety-six years. She was very active, and
a short time before her death carried a ijasket of
ejrgs to tnarifet, walking a distance of a mile.

The birth of Samuel Tooniey occurred in Yoik
County, Pa., March 1, 1830. He was tiie eleventii
ciiild born to his parents, and tlie demands upon
the father for the support of his large family ren-
dered it necessary that each one should make his
own living as soon as lii's agp would permit. The
limit of our subject's school life was about thirty
days, and when six years old he was forced to go out
into the world to "paddle his own canoe." Wiien
sixteen he found employment in a blacksmith shoi)
at East Berlin, near Gettysburg, Pa., and a year
Liter, Willi si4 of borrowed money in his pocket,
and all his possessions in a bundle on his back, he
started on foot for Ohio. He was three weeks and
two days on his journey before reaching Sugar
Creek Falls, Tuscarawas County. The lust four
days he had only one meal per day, on account of
failing funds. Finding employment in the shop
of Daniel Wagner, a year later he became owner
of the business, when his emiiloyer removed to the
West. In a few years he had gained the reputa-
tion of lieing the best blacksmith and mechanic in
the community. In 1850 he met with misfortune,
his shop, tools and stock, including the first buggy
he had ever made, being destroyed by fire. That
same year he removed to AVilmot, Stark County,
■where with varied success he continued in business
for fifteen years as a carriage manufacturer and
blacksmith.

In 18G8 Mr. Toomey came to Canal Dover, where
he has since been engaged in business, increasing
his facilities and constantly imiiroving the style
of his work. The buggies sent out from his shop
are considered the very best manufactured in the
state. Gradually he drifted into the manufacture
of sulkies, and whei-cver the sport of racing is
known his vehicles have been commended. On
the rough tracks of the Old World, where they
trot on sod and through sand, these sulkies are the
only ones that will stand the jarring, and at tiie
same time their lightness makes them acceptable.
^Ir. Tuoniey has possessed a great advantage over
other workers in this line, in that he has a practi-
cal knowledge of racing and horses. He owns a



valual)le stock farm near Canal Dover, and on liis
half-mile track every new feature introduced in
his sulky is tested before being put on the market.
]Mai)y a promising raccliorse has taken his firat
Ici'sons on this track.

The record of Samuel Toomey's life furnislics a
striking illustration of the manner in which a boy
may rise from obscurity to prominence by sheer
force of character and personal effort. In 1847 he
was a penniless, friendless boy, making his way west-
ward over the mountains of Pennsylvania, footsore
and hungry; to-day he holds an enviable position
in the business world and as a citizen. At the pres-
ent time he is President of the First National
Bank of Canal Dover, and in the discharge of the
responsibilities pertaining thereto has entirely sat-
isfied his associates.

October 5, 1849, Mr. Toomey married Miss Lidia
Harbaugh, by whom he had eight children: Sar.ali,
wife of W.W.Webber; Lucy, wife of Philip Web-
ber, of Wardner, Idaho; Emma and Edward, who
are deceased; Calvin, who is engaged in the car-
riage trade in Kansas City, Mo.; and Freyling II.,
Oliver and Charles, residents of this city. The
mother of these children departed this life in 1881.
The present wife of our subject, who at the time
of their marriage in 1882 was Mrs. Matilda Adams,
bore the maiden name of Reese.



^r



PATRICK J. IIANNAN. Among the hon-
ored citizens of Guernsey County serving
at present as a member of the Council of
Cambridge, is Patrick .T. Ilannan, one of the men
whom Ireland has given this country. He was born
in A'alley Mote, County Sligo, province of Con-
naught, March 1, 1853. His recollections of the Em-
erald Isle are vivid, as there his boyhood days
were passed, hC being a lad of ten years when his
parents determined to seek a home in free America.
John and Catherine (McDonough) Hannan, the
parents of Patrick, reared a family of five chil-
dren, of whom he was the third. Of the others we



PORTRAIT AND BTOGRAPIIICAL RECORD.



245



make the following mention: Mai v, now dcceusecl,
was the wife' of Bartholomew Dwier, and passed
away April 29, 1893; Annie married ■\Viiliam Spolui,
and died in August, 188G; Margaret is now Mis.
lliigli Dwier, and makes lier home in Sharon, Pa.;
and Catherine died in April, 18!)3, aged forly-
tbree yeais. The Ilannan family made the joui -
ney to America in 18G3, and located at once in
Mercer Countj-, Pa.> where the father purchased a
tract of land and became a gardener and grower
of small fruits. He made this place his residence
until his decease, which occurred in 1^73. Ills
good wife survived him until 1889. n she too
passed awaj', and her body was interred in the
cemetery at Sharon, where her husband was laid.

Patrick's oi)portnnities for obtaining an educa-
tion were ver}' limited, as at an early age he began
working in the rolling-mill at Sharon, Pa. Later
he made his way to this stale and olitained work
in the mills at New Philadeliihia, where he was
well liked, and rendered liis emplciyers valuable
service for seven yeais. At the expiration of that
time he came to Cambridge, wliich city has since
been his home, and here he is a trusted employe
of the Cambridge Iron and Steel Company.

The lady to whom our subject was mairied in
1872 w.as Miss Mary J., daughter of Daniel and
Bridget (Mcllalc) McMuhon. The lady was born
in Luzerne County, Pa., Octolicr 23, 18o7, and liy
her union with Mr. Ilannan has become the mother
of five children, namely : Catherine, John, Edward,
William and .lames. The family occupy a beauti-
ful residence in the western pait of ilie city, and
number among their friends the best rc-sid; iits of
Cambridge. Po-ssessing excellent judgment, .AIis.
Ilannan has tastefully furnished her home, and it
is often the scene of many social gatherings by
the young people of the community.

Mr. Ilannan is a prominent Al.ison, a member
of the Knights of Pythias, Protected Home Circle,
and Amalgamated Association of Irc)n and Sled
Workers in Cambridge. In religious affairs he is
a devout Catholic, and, with the aid of his good
wife, has trained his children to that faitli. lie
has always been very active in public affairs, doing
whatever he could to promote the best interests of
the city, and during elections never fails to cast



his vote for Reinihlican candidates. While resid-
ing in New Pliiladeliihia. his qualities as an offlce-
holder weic recognized, and he was elected a
member of the Council. siTviug for two years. lie
was a cnndi(l;ite for the position of Township
Treasurer, l)Ut on aeeounl fif his opponent in the
convention turning indei)eii(lent, lie was defeated
by the Democrats by one vote. lie was elected
Councilman of Caml)ridge in April, 1894.



m^mm^^^



nLVA E. TOMSON. D. D. S.. a talented and
successful \oung dentist of Quaker City,
is well known in this section as an able,
energetic and intelligent member of the profession,
and one worthy of confidence and esteem. lie
was born in this city, October 10, 1872, and is the
son of William O. and iNIary (Wilson) Tomson,
the former a native of Xolile County, and the latter,
of Belmont County, this state.

William (>. Tomson. who is also a doctor of
dental surgery, is residing at Frazeyshurg, this
slate, where he is filling the iHilj)it of the Christian
Chnicli. being a minister of considerable note in
the stale. By his union with iMiss Wilson there
were born six children, of whom Alva E. is the
eldest. Delia married ( >. T. Masterson, and makes
her home at ju-esent at AlcConiwjIsviile, Ohio;
Blanche. I'orest. Pearl and lOvcretle are at home
with their parents.

The snbjrct of tliis sketch received his literary ed-
ucation in the schools of Quaker City and i;elm(nU.
While making his home in Belmont he clerked in
a store for eighteen months for Kinney .V Bell.
In the mean time his father liad remove Me-
Connelsville. and young Tomson. desirous of lin-
ishing his dental slu.lies. which he had begun some
lime previously, followeil him there and was in the
olllee for a twelvemonth, receiving instruction
under his father, lie then l^



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 28 of 83)