Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 30 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 30 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


sensibilities and polished manner, and was the
very soul of honor. Stanch in principle, clear in
perception, and decided in character, he deserved
the good things which came to him and the high
character for probity which 3'ears of intimate busi-
ness and social acquaintance brought him.



v(§), __._iAh .(SJ



JOHN DASHWOOD TUDOR BOLD, one of
tlie enterprising lawyers of Canal Dover, is
rapidly working his way to the front rank
in his profession. His determination is most
marked, and his application to the business in
hand close and systematic. As a speaker he is
forcible, elegant, enthusiastic and at times witty.
A native of England, our subject was born in
Boness, Cuinberlandshire, August 22, 18,59. He is
the son of John T. J. and Anna (Lewis) Bold, n.a-
tives, respectively, of the Isle of Wight (Hampshire)
and Lancashire. The father was very prominent
in his county, and was an officer in the regular
army until he exchanged his commission for one
in the Excise, when he was sent to Ireland, and for
thirty years had charge of the Excise for tlie Eng-
lish Government in the county of Donegal. Can-
didates for this position were chosen from among



the gentlemen and scholars of that day. The father
died in the Emerald Isle, and his widow was
granted a special pension by the English Govern-
ment until her demise.

The parental family included four sons and five
daugliters. John D. T. was a lad of fifteen years
when he made the journey alone across the Atlan-
tic, lie at once found his way to Pennsylvania,
and for over two years was engaged in the an-
tliiacilc coal-mines at Haileigh, Luzerne County,
his duties being to drive a mule hauling the coal
to the bottom of the slope inside'. In 1877, the
mines being compelled to close down, young Bold
was thrown out of employment, together with
hundreds of men, and at once started out to look
for work, tramping through the states of Pennsyl-
vania, Maryland, West Virginia and New York,
and for three months did not know what it was to
sleep in a bed. Having but $8.05 in his pocket
when he commenced his long journey, he found
himself, ere long, "broke," but, nothing daunted,
plodded along, and at the end of several months
found work on the Pittsburg Division of the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Broad Ford, Pa.,
carrying water to the section men, receiving for
his labors eighty certts per day; but he soon got
promoted to be section hand at ILOO per day,
and in this position he worked two years and a-
half. While in the above place, young Bold got
acquainted with the station agent, who employed
him to work for him after his day's labor was
over. Being very observant and apt in gaining
knowledge, while at work around the telegraph
office in the evening, he soon "picked up" tele-
graphing. His next thought was that he would
like to be a locomotive engineer, therefore, com-
mencing at the bottom of the business, he was
ttagman on a freight train, then brakeman, then
got wiping engines, and finally was made fireman,
taking care, however, to emi)loy his spare time in
listening to the click of the messages flying over
the wires.

The Master Mechanic took a great liking to
young Bold, because of his sobriety and steadfast-
ness, and secured a situation for him as telegraph
operator, in «hich capacity he worked firstas night
hand, and was afterward promoted to be day



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



255



operator. Soon after tlie completion of the Valley
Railroad in Ohio, a friend told him lie thought he
could secure a position on it, which he did, at
Botzum, seven miles north of Akron. He worked
in that place for nine months, when he was pro-
moted and removed to Brecksville, sixteen miles
from Cleveland, also having his salary increased at
this time. After spending six months at the above
place, Mr. Bold was again promoted and sent to
the freight office in Canton as operator and head
bill clerk, holding that position for a period of
eleven nionths. Next, upon the comnletion of the
road southward, he was made agent u. -he Mineral
Point office, where he was stationed for five years,
being agent for the American and Adams Express
Companies as well.

Although finding his occupation a very pleasant
and congenial one, our subject readily saw there
was not much chance for future promotion, and
therefore resolved to try some other line of busi-
ness. Settling upon the legal profession, he offered
his resignation to the company September 1, 1887.
He had formerly made the acquaintance of Pros-
ecuting Attorney J. F. Wilkin by his being de-
layed on one occasion at the station, and who,
leaving his address, asked him to pay him a visit
at his home in New Philadelphia. The opportun-
ity now presenting itself, Mr. Bold went to New
Philadelphia, and September 20 of the above yeav
entered the office of Mr. Wilkin, carrj-ing on his
legal studies until the following year, when he
entered the Union College of Law at Chicago,
the law de|)artment of Northwestern University.
He took the junior course in that institution,
and during his nine months' attendance did not
miss a recitation and always received the mark
of perfect in studies. The following j'ear lie at-
tended the Cincinnati Law School, from which
he was graduated with the Class of '90, and at the
final examination for admission to the Bar by tlie
State Board of Examiners, Mr. Bold stood second
in a class of one hundred and three men examined
at the time, there being but one-fifth of one per
cent, between himself and the gentleman who re-
ceived the highest mark. Mr. Bold was one of
eight men selected by the faculty to represent the
class at commencement, and was much astonished



on hearing his name called llist, thus giving him
the honors of the class.

When ready to begin the practice of his profes-
sion, Mr. Bold located in Canal Dover, in Novem-
ber, 1890. He has built up a large clientage and
ranks high among the learned men in his profes-
sion at the Ohio Bar. November 11, 1891, he was
married to Miss Lucy, second daughter of James
R. Emerson, of New Philadelphia, and to them
has been born a son, Harold.

In his political relations our subject is a stanch
Democrat. Socially he is prominent in the frater-
nity of Odd Fellows, and also is a member of the
Masonic order.



-^



r~y EORGE DEARDORFF is one of the ener-
^Tf getic young men of Canal Dover, who is
making the best of his opportunities, de-
termined, if hard work will win, to occupy a prom-
inent position in life. He is a native of this city,
and was born April 28, 1871, to Isaac R. and
Mary A. (Herring) Deardorff, natives respectively,
of this county and of Germany.

The father of our subject was an honest, hard-
working man, whose estimable character and use-
ful life secured for him the respect and deep re-
gard of all who knew him. He departed this life
April 25, 1886, in this city, at the .igc of forty-
four years, four months and one d.ay.

George, of this sketch, obtained a fair education
in the public schools of his native city, and when
rebelling his seventeenth year began to make his
way in the world. His first emploj-ment was in
the Reeves Rolling-mills, where he performed
faithful service for his employers for a period of
three years. At the expiration of that time he ob-
tained work at the depot of the Cleveland & Pitts-
burg Road, first making himself generally useful
as office clerk. As time advanced he became more
closely identified witli the work of the companj-,
and was recognized by that corporation as one of
its efficient and loyal employes.

When ready to establish a home of his own, Mr.
Deardorff was married, Alaich 28, IS'.M, to Miss Iva



256



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Mitchell. Tlie lady is the daughter of William
and Charity Mitchell, natives of Oliio. The former
is now section foreman for tlie Cleveland & Pitts-
burg IJailroad, and has held that position for some
time. Botli our subject and his estimable wife are
members in excellent standing of the English
Lutheran Church, and are held in good repute by
all who know them. In politics Mr. Deardorflf is
independent, reserving his right to vote for the
man wliom lie considers will best fill the position,
regardless of part}'.



WILLIAM H. M( CULLOUGH, an enter-
prising young business man of Cam-
bridge, is one of the native sons of
the Buciieye State. His active career in tlie com-
mercial world has been necessarily a brief one, but
he is industrious, and untiring in his efforts to
please liis employers and merits their commenda-
tion, whicii lie frequently receives. In everything
relating to the welfare of the community in which
lie makes liis home he takes a great interest, as a
true citizen should. In political faltii he is allied
with tlie Republican party, and never fails to cast
his ballot in favor of its nominees.

Tlie paternal grandfather of our subject, John
McCuUough, was born in County Roscommon, Ij-c-
land. When about twenty-two years of age he
volunteered in the standing army of tiie Govern-
ment, and was sent to India, where he served fora
term of jears, receiving an honorable discharge
soon after his return home. Kor his wife he chose
Miss Margaret Gilmorc, and of their union one son
only was born.

Thomas McCuUough, the son in question, was
born in County Sligo, Ireland, in 1841, and re-
ceived a common-school education in his boyhood.
In 1859 he married Miss Eliza Graham, wlio was a
native of County Roscommon. Soon after their
marriage the young couple emigrated to the iJni-



led States and settled in the village of Nilea, Trum-
bull County, Ohio. Later lliey became residents
of Canal Dover, Tuscarawas County, afterward of
New Philadeipiiia (where they resided some five
years), and in the year 1891 finally removed to
Cambridge, where they are still living. Thomas
McCuUough is the general superintendent of the
Cambridge Iron and Steel Works, one of the lead-
ing industries of this section of the country. The
parents are much respected citizens of this place,
and enjoy the fi iendship of all who know them.
Their family numbered eleven children, eight of
whom are living. Their names are as follows:
Joseph, Thomas J., Jr., William H., Arthur, Al-
fred J., Carlos George, Elizabeth and Mabel May.
John, Edward and Wallace are deceased.

The birth of William H. McCuUough, the third
surviving son of Thomas and Eliza McCuUough,
occurred at Niles, Trumbull County, February 13,
18GG. He was given good educational advantages
in the common schools of his native village, and
later, after his family's removal to Canal Dover,
he attended its excellent high schools. When
about eighteen he began working in the New Phil-
adelphia Iron and Steel Works, remaining in the
employ of that com^iany for about five years. In
1891 he was employed by the Cambridge Iron and
Steel Works and still remains with this establish-
ment. He is a practical workman, and carries to
successful completion everything he undertakes.
His employers always feel confident that he is
working for their good, and accordingly value his
services.

November 16, 1891, Mr. AlcCullough was mar-
ried in New Phiiadelphia to Miss Emma E., daugh-
ter of John and Eliza (Von Bergen) Nagley. To
the young couple have been born three children.
Edwin Ray was born August 22, 1892, and in June,
1894, twin daughters were born, who died in in-
fancy. Mrs. McCuUough 's parents were of German
birth, and emigrated to the United States soon after
they were married, arriving in New York, and
soon after removing to New Philadelphia, Tusca-
rawas County, Ohio, where they now reside.

Socially our subject is a member of Cambridge
Lodge No. 301, L O. O. F,; Circle No. 159,P. H.C.;
and of Cambridge Lodge No. 53, K. of P. He



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



257



is also a member of St. Andrew's Brotbeihood and
of the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel
Workers. Both Mr. and Mrs. MeCu Hough are de^
vout raombers of the Episcopal Church of this
city.



^



JOHN SHOEMAKER. It may well be the
pride of our subject that he )■ claimed a
tract of fruitful land from its natural condi-
tion, transforming it into a finely improved
and highly cultivated farm, one- of the best 'j
Warwick Township, and in so doing has materially
aided in perfecting the development of the rich
agricultural resources of Tuscarawas County. By
persistent labor he wrought a wondrous change in
the land, until that which was once a wilderness
became one of the best-tilled farms in the neigh-
borhood. Having accumulated a competency, Mr.
Shoemaker is retired from active labor, and now
makes his home in Shoemaker's Valley, where he is
passing his declining years in peace and quiet.

A native of Germany, our subject was born No-
vember 3, 1819. His parents, Peter and Afa (Es-
pensha) Shoemaker, were likewise born in the Fa-
therland, whence they emigrated to the United
States in 1855. They made their home in this
state until their decease, the father dying in 1870,
aged sixty-three years, and the mother passing
away in Cumberland, Ohio, at the advanced age of
seventy-eight years. They had born to tliem a
family of six children, of whom we make the fol-
lowing mention: .John, of this sketch, was the eld-
est of the household; Elizabeth became the wife of
Leonard Lonstafer, a farmer in good circumstances
near Cumbeiland, this state; Jacob is carrying on
farming operations in Indiana; Peter is deceased;
and two died in infancy.

The paternal grandi)arents of our subject were
John and Catherine Shoemaker, who lived and
died in their native land, Germany. The former,
who was a surveyor, was greatly interested in the
educational afifairs of that country, and ever



showed himself to be an enterprising citizen. He
was connected with the Lutheran Church, in the
faith of which his children were trained.

John Shoemaker, of this sketch, thinking to bet-
ter his financial condition, emigrated to America
in 1838. Landing in New York City, he remained
there for a time, after which he went to Lancaster
County, Pa., and engaged to work out by the
month on farms. He followed this industry for
two years and nine months, and then, being ready-
to establish a home of his own, he married Eliza-
beth Engle. She died in December, 1871, aged
fifty-two years.

Tuscarawas County became the home of. our
subject in 1850. He at once located upon the
laud which he developed into his present fine es-
tate, but at that time it bore little resemblance to
its now flourishing condition. Mr. Shoemaker im-
mediately began the arduous work of clearing and
fencing his estate, and to-day is the proud posses-
sor of two hundred and twenty broad acres of as
fine farming land as is to be found in tlie county.

The children born to our subject and his estima-
ble wife were as follows: John, who is now a
farmer in this county, and emploj'ed in grading
the Coal Railroad at Trenton, this state; Catherine,
the wife of John Shoemaker, a shoe merchant at
Canton; Jake, a farmer of Rush Township; Philip,
engaged in agricultural pursuits in Joshua Town-
ship; Mary, the wife of Eugene Lane, a miner of
Warwick Township; and Charles, a prominent
farmer of the above section.

The second union of our subject, which occurred
in 1872, was with Barbara Engle, a cousin of his
first wife, and who was born in Germany in 1834.
She was the daughter of Nicholas and Catherine
Engle, also born in the Fatherland, where the
former died in 1870. The mother is still living,
making her home in Iowa.

To John and Barbara Shoemaker were granted
three children, viz.: Joseph, a farmer of Warwick
Township; Benjamin, managing the homestead;
and Carrie, dece.ased. Our subject is a Democrat
in politics, and as a good citizen should be, is ear-
nestly interested in all that pertains to his town-
ship and count\'. His career was begun as a poor
boy, with limited education, but by energ}- and



258



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



perseverance, united with economy and good busi-
ness qualifications, he has become wealthy, and the
records show him to be one of the large tax-payers
of the township. He has recently sold between
eighty and ninety acres of coal land, which he
purchased some years ago at $7 per acre, and for
which he now receives 160 per acre. He is a man
who has so conducted himself and the affairs of
life that he has the confidence and good wishes of
the entire community.



"^M



eHARLES P. MINNICH, a retired farmer and
merchant of Tuscarawas, was born in this
city, and is one of the oldest inhabitants of
the place, which in former years was called Tren-
ton. He is now the owner and operator of the
Mount Carbon Coal Mine, and has money invest-
ed in various other enterprises.

John, the father of Charles Minnich, was born
in Bradford, Pa., August 10, 1798, and with his
parents came to New Philadelphia, Ohio, in July,
1805. He taught school in his youth, and about
1827 came to this place, where he opened a store in
the log structure which was moved from a desert-
ed Goshen mission and with slight rei)airs served
him as both store and dwelling-place until 1835.
He was tlie first merchant to engage in trade at
Trenton, and his early supplies were purchased in
Pittsburg, the goods being transported by team.
Later he bought a stock of goods in Philadelphia,
and these were brought over the mountains in wag-
ons. During his remaining days Mr. Minnich was
actively engaged in business here until his death,
which occurred June 5, 1870. His parents were
Philip and Sarah (Kniseley) Minnich, natives of
Pennsylvania, who were among the pioneers of
1805 in this locality. John Minnich was the first
Postmaster of this village, and held the office for
some thirty years, when he resigned and recom-



mended as his successor a gentleman who was duly
appointed.

John Minnich married Elizabeth Hout, who was
born in Virginia, September 27, 1803, and died
October 25, 1886. Her parents were Peter and Ro-
sanna Hout. The former came to this county from
Virginia about 181 1, and after purchasing a section
of land returned to the Old Dominion with the in-
tention of settling up his affairs in order to perma-
nently locate in Ohio. He was an extensive farm-
er, and very prominent in the locality where he
dwelt. Before he had carried his plans into effect,
he was taken seriously ill and died. His wife died
in Jefferson County, Oiiio. John and Elizabeth
Minnich had four sons and four daughters, as fol-
lows: Sarah, who married Joshua Gooding, for-
merly a farmer of Goshen Township; Charles P., our
subject; Rosanna, wife of H. B. Sargent, a retired
farmer of Delta, this state; John H., deceased, who
laid out the town of Derby, Kan.; Albert, a retired
merchant of Derby, Sedgwick County, Kan.; Mar-
tha, deceased; Mary, of this city;and Henry C.,who
owns and carries on a farm and coal mine and is a
resident of Tuscarawas.

Charles P. Minnich was born January 17, 1831
and continued to live with his parents until h^.
reached man's estate. In 1858 he was united in
marriage with Mary R. Benner, who was born in
Pennsylvania, September 10, 1833, and whose par-
ents, Thomas and Martha (Thompson) Benner,
were natives of the Keystone State and Steuben-
ville, Ohio, respectively. The former was born
September 10, 1803, to Philip and Ruth (Roberts)
Benner,and died April 2, 1888. Philip Benner was
one of General Washington's teamsters at Valley
Forge, Pa., during the Revolutionary War. He was
an extensive iron manufacturer in later years at
Bellefonte, Pa.,and lived to attain the extreme old
age of ninety years. Mrs. Minnich's mother was
born in July, 1812, and died in February, 1849.
Her parents were Robert and Elizabeth (Kelly)
Thompson. The former, who was born in Ireland,
emigrated to .^Fefferson County, Ohio, at an early
day and engaged in the milling business at Jack-
sonville. He was at one time Sheriff of the county
within whose boundaries he passed the major part
of his life. Mrs. IMinnich is one of eight children,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



259



tbe others being as follows: Elizabeth, Philip K.,
George W. and Emeline, who are deceased; Robert
l"., a farmer of this county; Hannah M., who has
passed away; and Helen K., widow of George Cron-
hiser, who owned and operated a homestead near
Eastport, Ohio. Thomas Benncr was the proprietor
of the old Uhrichsville woolen-mill and for a time
ran a furnace at New Philadelphia in addition to
carrying on a farm. For a term of twelve years he
was Township Trustee, also served as Treasurer, and
was School Director for many years. Politically
he was a Democrat, and in religion was identified
witii the Presbyterian denominatior

Three sons and three daughters have come to
bless the union of Charles P. Minnich and wife:
Bcnner, who lives at home and is superintendent -i
his father's coal mine; Martha, who died in infan-
cy; Cora, formerly a music teacher and now the
wife of Lewis Lineberger, car inspector at tlie Den-
nison (Ohio) railroad yards; Wilson, who is now
in California; Harry, who lives at home and is en-
gaged in farming; and a daughter who died in in-
fancy.

After his marriage, which took place when our
subject was about twenty-seven years old, his fa-
ther gave him a-third interest in his store, wliere tlie
young man had formerly worked on a salary. At
the end of three and a-lialf years he disposed of
his interest and leased forty acres of coal land from
his father. This he operated for six years, after
which, in coippany with his two brotiieis, Albert
and Henry, he took possession of the old store, which
was carried on for three years more rmd then sold.
In 1872 Charles Minnich remodeled the store and
two years later re-opened the place, wiiich he con-
ducted until September, 1886, when it was de-
stroyed by fire. At the time of his father's death
he was appointed one of three admin isti a tors to
attend to the estate, and for some years it took up
the mam part of his time. On tliis account he re-
tired from business, appointing his sons and others
to operate his mines and other commercial inter-
ests.

The first ballot of our subject was cast for Gen-
eral Scott in the presidential election of 1852.
Since the organization of the Republican party he
has been one of its enthusiastic supporters. In



1864 he was appointed Quartermaster for the Sev-
entieth Battalion Ohio National Guards by Gov-
ernor Biougli, and after remaining in the service
for a short time was honorably discharged.



t EWIS K. THOMPSON is the editor of the
I Cy Ticii) City Independent, which is published
in Uhrichsville, and is not only one of the
leading papers of Tuscarawas County, but also of
this portion of the state. The proprietor of the
journal h.as been from boyhood engaged in the
printing business, and worked his way up from an
humble capacity. He has served in every position
connected with the printing-office, and is thor-
oughly conversant with its various branches. In
January, J 893, he bought the JncfepeMe/iJ, which he
has since conducted. Its name is an index to its
character on the question of politics, and it is fear-
less in its attitude toward all organizations.

The father of Lewis K. was Samuel R. Thomp-
son, M. D., whose sketch appears elsewhere in this
volume, and who is one of the leading physicians
of this county. Our subject was born December
12, 1851, in Wanenton, Jefferson County, Ohio.
He removed hither with his father in 1855, and for
fouryears was a resident of West Chester. In 1859
he came to Uhrichsville, and received his education
in the common schools of the place. He was only
thirteen years of age, however, when he began
working in the oflice of the Tuscaraicas Chronicle,
published in New Philadelphia. For five years he
followed the trade of a printer and then, a good
opening occurring, he returned to Uhrichsville and
cmb:uked in the grocery trade, in which he was in-
terested for some ten j-ears. In 1881 he obtained
a position as compositor in the office of the Cleve-
land Daily Leader, and worked steadily there until
1893.

In January of the year last mentioned, Mr.
Thompson bought the Independent, which he has
since carried on. Though Ins educational privi-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



leges were not of the best in his early years, he
afteiwaid became well infoinied on general topics
and along ccitain lines of thought, by a wise and
selected course of study and reading, lie is dis-
playing ills ability and keenness of intellect and
perception in the management of his journal, which



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 30 of 83)