Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 31 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 31 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


is ably edited.

January 31, 1888, occurred the marriage of Mr.
Thompson and Rebecca Valentine, whose father
was killed in the service during the AVar of the
Rebellion. One child, Lewis M., was born to the
young coui)le February IG, 1889.

In his political belief Mr. Thompson is aRepub-
Hcan, and though he takes a commendable interest
in the progress of his party he is not an ollice-
sceker in any sense. UiJrightand honorable in his
relations with his fellow-citizens, he bears a high
reputation for his sterling character and true worth.
He is ])atriotic and public-spirited, always trying
to advance the prosperity of the locality in which
his lot is cast.



^^m^^^^^m^



PI:TKR SCIIUPP, a wealthy and retired
farmer, is one of the most respected resi-
dents of Warwick Township. He pur-
chased the homestead on which he dwells in 1871,
and has made many important improvements on
the place since becoming its owner. He has never
as|«ired to political honors, but has served accepta-
blv as Road Supervisor and School Director, and
is a stanch advocate of the Democracy.

A native of Prussia, Germany, our subject was
loin December 13, 1831, and is the son of John
li. .nnd Mary E. (Krisher) Schupp. The father was
liorn near the banks of the Rhine, in April, 1806,
and died in 1879. His good wife, whose birth like-
ns ise occurred in the Fatherland, was born in 1813^
and died in 1878. They were brought up to farm
life and were industrious, thrifty and hard-work-
ing people. Of their marriage were born five
children, two of whom are now deceased, namely,



Henry and Fred. Those living are Peter; John
G., a farmer of Clay Township, who is represented
elsewhere in this work; and Charles engaged in
farming in this township. The parents of tliese
children set fail for America in the spring of 1843,
and after a voy.age which consumed twenty-eight
and .i-half days landed in New York City. They
remained for a year at a point about three miles
from Albany, N. Y., but in 1844 came to this coun-
ty, settling in Clay Township, where they spent
the remainder of their lives. The senior Mr.
Schupp was a shoemaker by trade, and managed to
make a good living for his family in the pursuit
of this vocation. Four years prior to his death he
went to Stone Creek, where he remained for two
years, after which he went to New Philadelphia,
where his death occurred. When he reached this
county he purchased forty acres of land, and as
time passed inueased his possessions until he be-
came thoroughly well-to-do. After the death of
his fust wife, he married Mary Niederhauser, who
survived him but two years.

Peter Schupp, whose came heads Ibis article,
continued to live with his parents until he reached
his majoriiy, when he went out into the world to
earn his own living. About that time he married
Catherine Cappel, and the young couple moved to
a farm of fifty acres which our subject's father
gave him. This was located in Clay Township,
and there the early years of their married life were
passed. The following children came to bless their
union: Adam, who is located at Uhrichsville; Peter,
now deceased; Caroline, now the wife of Daniel
Holman, a farmer of this township; Fred, who
lives in Dayton, Ohio; Albert, of Uhrichsville;
Catherine and Mary E., deceased; William, who
lives in the village of Gnadenhutten; Charles,
who is in the West; Mary E., Mrs. George Frazier,
of Dennison, Ohio; one who died in infancy; and
John E., who lives in Gnadenhutten. Mrs. Cath-
erine Schupp departed this life in 1882, when in
her forty-ninth year.

In 1883 \Tas celebrated the union of our subject
with Catherine Baker, who was born in Germany,
in May, 1843, and is the daughter of Philip and
Mary (Kessler) Baker. They became residents of
Jefferson Township, in 1840, and there lived un-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



261



til death called them from their labors, tlie fa-
ther dying in February, 1888, aged eighty-four
years, and the mother in April, 1881, at tiie age of
seventy-seven years. Their eleven children were
as follows: Maggie, who is deceased; Laviiia,
Mary, Philip, Catherine, Sophia, Peter, ,lohn, and
three who died in infancy. Our subject and his
worthy" wife have adopted a little girl, who is
known as Lydia Scliupp, and who was born June
9, 1880. She is now attending school in the neigh-
borhood.

Religiously Mr. and Mrs. Schupp "re identified
with tiie Lutheran Church, and ar ..ive in all
denominational and benevolent work. They iiave
many warm friends in this vicinity, who esteem
them for their sterling qualities. Tiie well- >
pi'oved liomestead where they reside comprises
some ninety-five and a-half acres of fine land,
which would readily command a higii price in the
market. In his political belief Mr. Schupp is identi-
fied with the Democratic party.



&^mr-^^^^m



IMON A. MEYER. The record of Tuscara-
was County would be incomplete wilhout
mention of one of its best known and most
highly respected citizens in the person of our suh-
ject, who is one of the well-to-do agriculturists of
Warwick Township. He bears the distinction of
being one of the pioneers of the section, and has
contributed his share toward the upbuilding of his
community.

Mr. Meyer w.as born in Pennsylvania, October
22, 1827, and is the son of John F. and Elizabeth
(Crider) Meyer, who were also born in that state.
The parents made the journey to Tuscarawas Coun-
ty in 1835, locating at once in Warwick To wnsliip,
where they made their home for three years, llie
father farming during the summer months, and
following Ins trade of a tailor in the winter season.
At the expiration of that time he took up his
abode in Goshen Township, and after a residence
there of many years returned, in 1858, to Warwick
Towuship. His wife there died in 1872, at the



age of fourscore and two years. On the death of
his companion, John Meyer made his home with,
our subject, passing away in 1875, aged seventy-
six years.

The paternal grandparents of our subject, who
were both natives of Germany, emigrated to this
county about the year 1793. After a residence
here of a few months, they found the climate very
different from that in their native land, and, being
dissatisfied, they returned to their old home in
Lancaster County, Pa., and there passed the re-
mainder of their lives, dying when advanced in
years.

To Jolin F. and Elizabeth Meyer there were
born three sons, those besides our subject being
Elias C, a tailor carrying on business in Canal
Dover, and Edwin William, now deceased. The
children were all educated in the old-time school-
houses, with their rude furnishings, but making the
best of their limited opportunities became well in-
formed in the common branches.

The original of this sketch remained at home
with his parents until two years after attaining his
majority, when he began the battle of life on his
own responsibility. His first employment was
clearing land for others, receiving as compensa-
tion for his hard labor what would now be consid-
ered a very insignificant sum of monej'. He con-
tinued thus to operate for a few years, when his
father gave him a wagon and team. Having a
thorough knowledge of farm work, he worked a
piece of property for one-third of the profits, and
so well did he manage affairs that he was retaiiied
b}- the owner at the same price for three years.
At the expiration of that time, having been very
economical, he purchased thirty acres of land, hav-
ing a small sum to pay down and borrowing 8200
additional to make tlie first payment. ■ The prop-
erty was valued at §1,000, and at this time young
Meyer was only making fifty cents per da^'. Find-
ing that it would be almost impossible for him to
save that amount of mone^-, and fearing that he
would lose his farm, he went to work in a coal
mine, receiving wages which enabled him to pay
all his del)ts in twelve years and purchase an ad-
ditional thirty acres.

Being thus well equipped to begin life, our sub-



262



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPIHCAL RECORD.



jeclquit the mines and began the work of improv-
ing liis estate, which he did in a most admirable
and profitable manner. In 1886 he increased his
acreage to one hun(ired and thirty-five acres, wliich
he traded that year for a fine farm of two hundred
and twenty-two acres. He is truly a self-made
man, and the community finds in him a valued cit-
izen.

In 1850 Mr. Meyer was married to Catherine M.
Cribbs, a native of Goshen Township, Tuscarawas
County, who was born June 17, 1830. She was
the daughter of John and Anna B. (Kitch) Cribbs,
natives of Pennsylvania, whence they emigrated
to this state during pioneer days. The father died
in 1852, aged sixty years. He was the son of Peter
Cribbs, also a Pennsylvanian by birth, who took
up his residence in New Philadelphia at a time
when the inhabitants were very few. The parents
of Mrs. Meyer had two sons and four daughters,
of whom Margaret is the widow of Jack Cable,
and makes her home in Hardin City, Iowa; Henry
is deceased; Catherine M. was llie next in order of
birth; Susan became the wife of Isaac Hill, a farm-
er and coal miner of Goshen Township, Tuscara-
was County; Jacob located at St. Louis, Mo.; Clar-
issa is now Mrs. S. .Shane, and iier husband is fore-
man in the mines at Ulnichsville. John Cribbs
was a potter by trade, and knowing the advan-
tage of agood education, gave his children the best
opportunities in his power to become well informed.
The entire family were members in excellentstand-
ing of the Lutheran Church.

To our subject and his excellent wife there were
born three sons and three daughters, as follows:
Allen T. is a prominent merchant, engaged in bus-
iness at Trenton, this state; Clannda E. is deceased;
Charles F. is a general farmer of Warwick Town-
ship; Emmet A. is a merchant at Trenton; Mary
L., the twin of Emmet, is deceased; and P^leanor is
Mrs. Charles A. Shoemaker, wife of a well-to-do
agriculturist of tliis township.

Mr. Meyer often entertains his friends with rem-
iniscences of the time when he worked for fifty
cents a day, and is amused at the expressions of
wonder which flit over the faces of his young
bearers, wlio breathlessly* inquire how he lived on
it. Few men liave the ability to recount the lead-



ing incidents of their life's history with the truth
of detail which Mr. Meyer's hearers are ever able
to discern in his stories of long ago. He is a de-
voted member of the Moravian Church, with which
he has been connected for many years. Few men
can look back over the vista of years and view a
better record than the one enjoyed by our subject,
who now, in the autumn of his life, is calmly en-
joying the fruits of his arduous labors, surrounded
by the esteem of his fellow-men and the sincere
affection of those who express their gratitude to
him as a friend and counselor.



-^^i(S)#g1^^^-



WILLIAM B.RO.SAMOND,M.D. The
city of Milnersville, Guernsey County,
is not behind other places of similar
size in the number of prominent physicians who
reside there, and among those who have become
well and favorably known we mention our sub-
ject. He was the fourth in order of birth of the
family of Edward "and Mary A. (Montgomery)
Rosamond, and was born in Fairview, this county,
November 13, 1846.

The father of our subject, who was a native of
Ireland, was born in 1808. About 1835 he crossed
the Atlantic, his destination being Canada, and
two years later he was married to Miss Montgom-
ery, the daughter of William and Catherine (Gra-
ham) Montgomery, also natives of Ireland, wlio
emigrated to Canada the same year in which Mr.
Rosamond made the voyage.

In 1842 the parents of our subject located in
Fairview County, this state, where the father died
in 1876. The mother, who was born in 1816, sur-
vived until 1892, when she too passed away. Ed-
ward Rosamond was a pharmacist in Ireland, but
after coming to America learned the stone-cutter's
trade, which vocation he followed through life.
His family comprised the following-named chil-
dren: Catherine, now deceased; Fanny, Mrs. Sam-
uel Shipley, who resides near Fairview; Mary,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



263



now Mrs. John Ciaig, a resident of Washington,
this state; Sarah, deceased; James R., wlio married
Martha McKeever, and lives at Ilendr^sbiirg,
Ohio; Margaret J., the wife of Thomas Slaser, wlio
lives nearFairview; and our subject.

The education of William B. Rosamond was car-
ried on in the schools of his native place, and in
the si)ring of 1866 he began his medical studies in
the oflice of Dr. McConnell, then a noted physician
of tliat locality, remaining with him for several
years. In 1871 he entered the Cincinnati College
of Medicine and Surgery, and while ^here he took
a special course in surgery, gynecok^_ and optom-
ology. After he was graduated from that insti-
tution he appeared before a naval board of ex-
aminers at Philadelphia, Pa., and after passing
his examination, remained in that city for four
months, receiving private instruction from the
faculty in one of the hospitals. He afterward re-
turned to Fairview, but finding an opening for his
profession at Milncrsville, came hither, and has
since devoted his energies to carrying on his
practice.

Dr. Rosamond was married, in 1873, to Miss
Mary M., daughter of Huffman and Callierine
(Allison) Kimball, and to them have been born
four children : Kitty, deceased ; Mary C, Fanny A.
and George K.



=^^^m^^^^^M^^



r^ EORGE GECKELER. The native-born
Vlf citizens of Tuscarawas County- are coming
rapidly to the front in various lines of
work, particularly in agriculture, which is pre-em-
inently the occupation of the residents here. The
gentleman above named is one of the shrewdest
and most intelligent young farmers in Fairfield
Township, worthily representing an honored an-
cestry.

The subject of this sketch was born on section
4, on the estate where he now lesides, October 10,
1864. His parents were Lewis and Anna (Grove)



Geckeler. The former was born in Germany, where
he lived until reaching mature years. On decid-
ing to come to America, he embarked on a ves-
sel which was over forty days in making the trip,
lie at once made his way to this state on landing,
locating near Bolivar, where he was employed in
driving a hack. After his marriage he purchased
eiglily acres. He was very industrious, and almost
everytliing which he undertook seemed a success.
He landed on American shores with no capital
whatever with which to begin life in a new coun-
try, but being courageous and brave he set to work,
and at his death left a valuable estate, comprising
two hundred ncres in the homestead, besides a
tract of one hundred and forty-seven acres in Stark
County. He was also the possessor of property at
Vallej' Junction. In 1887 he retired from active
business life, and died February 21, 1893. He
served two terms as one of the Directors of the
Infirmary, and was also Treasurer of the institution
for the same length, of time. In religious faith he
was a Lutheran.

The niollicr of our subject was born in Bolivar
and was the daughter of George Grove, a well-to-
do farmer and an early settler of that section. He
lived to be eiglity-two years of age. Mrs. Geck-
eler had born to her eleven children, all of whom
reached mature years with one exception. Will-
iam was the first-born. John was the next in order
of birth. Lewis died in Dover, leaving three chil-
dren. Fred is a resident of Montgomery Count}-,
Kan., where he is engaged in the shoe business.
George is the subject of this sketch. Charles is a
citizen of Alliance, and Henrj-, Emma (Mrs. Bai-
ley), Louisa (Mrs. Ackermau) and Anna (Mrs.
Foil) complete the familj^ The lady whom Lewis
Geckeler married for his second companion was
Emeline Grove, a sister of his first wife. Their
union resulted in the birth of two children, Mary
M. and Lorin.

The subject of this sketch lias passed his entire
life on the old homestead. He was well educated
in tlie district schools, and on attaining his ma-
jority hired out to his father for 8150 per year.
After his marriage, however, he farmed on the
home place on shares. On the 3d of .lune, 1886,
Georije Geckeler was married. Of this union three



264



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



childicn have been boin, Clarence, Elmer and Her-
man. Botli Mr. anil Mrs. Gcckeler are members in
good standing of the Lutheran Cliurcli and take a
leading part in religious work.



^^^l-^i"i^il^#i€



REV. THOMAS S. LUCCOCK is now living
retired from active life in Liberty Town-
ship. For two years he was a local minis-
ter in the Methodist i:piscopal Church, and has
always taken a very active interest in the work of
his denomination. Among liis neighbors and fel-
low-citizens lie has always been popular and highly
esteemed, and in 1875 was chosen b}' them to i-ep-
resent this district in the Ohio Legislature, where
he remained for two years.

A native of Germantown, Pa., our subject was
born .J.Tiuuuy 24, 1823, and is a son of Napthali
and Jane (Thomson) Luccock. The fatlier was a
native of Kinibolton, Huntingdonshire, England,
and died July 8, 1878, at the age of seventy years.
His parents, Thomas and Rebecca (Stevens) Luc-
cock, were natives of the same village, where they
passed their entire lives.

Mrs. Jane Luccock was born at Fortsea, Eng-
land, March 3, 1806, and died November 23, 1828.
She was the daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth
(Moore) Thomson. The marriage of our subject's
parents was celebrated in Wooiter, Ohio, Januaiy
2, 1822, and of their union the following children
were born: Thomas; Benjamin, deceased; Sam-
uel W., whose sketch appears in this work; and
Elizabeth, who died in infancy. The father, after
the early death of his first wife, married Miss Mary
Wiggin, who died in September, 1830. His third
wife, Maria Kinkaid, departed tiiis life on the
10th of March, 1832, leaving a daughter, Maria,
who is a resident of Columbus, Ohio, and the
widow of Dr. IMack. The last wife of Naiithali
Luccock was Rebecca Kile, who died in 1873. It
was about 1830 when he removed to this coun-
ty, settling near Kimbolton, where he remained
during the rest of his life, and for many years was



engaged in merchandising. He also taught school,
and served as Township Clerk and Justice of the
Peace for yeais. He was a member of the Fii"St
Methodist Church organized at this place, the
meetings being held at private homes.

Until he was sixteen years of age, Rev. Thomas
S. Luccock continued to live under the parental
roof. He then went out into the world to make his
own way and, going to Washington, Ohio, learned
the cabinet-maker's trade, which he followed for a
short time. He then returned home and engaged
in a general mercantile business with his father
and brother for the ten succeeding years. About
1853 the father retired from the firm and the
brothers continued to run the same for another
decade. In 1868 our subject purchased the broth-
er's share and continued alone in business for ten
years. In 1878 he turned his interests over to his
eldest son, John B., who did not make a financial
success of the undertaking. During the years of
his commercial life, Mr. Luccock gave more or less
of his attention to agricultural pursuits, and was
quite successful in this direction, as well as in
others.

In 1848 occurred the marriage of our subject
with Susan Heslip, who was born in Coshocton
County, Ohio, May 11, 1825, being a daughter of
Joseph and Ellen ( V/olgenmock) lieslip. Mrs.'
Luccock was called to the silent land on the 12th
of January, 1889. She was greatly loved for her
amiable qualities and true worth, and many were
the friends who bitterly mourned her loss. Seven
sons and a daughter came to bless the home of our
subject and his wife, and in order of birth are as
follows: John B., who is now a bookkeeper for a
St. Louis firm; Ellen, Mrs. William McConaughy,
of Zanesville, Ohio; Napthali, pastor of the Meth-
odist Church at Pittsburg, Pa.; Joseph, who has
a pastorate at M.-ilta, Ohio; Benjamin, who was a
LInited States Revenue Collector, and died at Pres-
cott, Ariz.; Samuel C, an attorney-at-law at Pitts-
buig. Pa.; Henry II., a lawyer of Ascolincha,
Mexico; and Charles, who died in infancy.

Rev. Mr. Luccock is a minister of the Methodist
Episcopal Church of this township. The first regu-
lar organization of a congregation in this denomi-
nation was effected here in 1831, and one of the



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD



265



fii-st few members was Napthali Luccock. The lat-
ter was prominent as well in the political circles of
Liberty Township, and during the '40s filled the
ofllce of Justice of the Peace. In political ques-
tions his son Thomas S. is now identified with tiie
Prohibition party.



11^^



©EORGE W. COULTAS. T... ,.iost imper-
ishable monuments wiiich can be erected to
commemorate the virtues of those who
have been removed from eartii are not those br.ilt
of cold marble or granite, but are to be found in
the memories of the bereaved ones. In the present
instance we have been cheerfully given a few of
the leading events in a life which, although now
ended, is not forgotten.

George W. Coultas was born in Noble County,
this state, November 29, 1847, and departed this
life in Quaker City September 21, 1894. lie was
the son of Robert and Thnmer (Dement) Coultas,
the former of whom was born in England, and tlie
latter a native of America. Tlie parental house-
hold included six children, of whom George W.
was the eldest. His brothers and sis^ters were:
Caroline, the wife of Lucius Lovall, residing in
Calais, this state; Hannah, who married John TutUc,
and also makes her home in that city; Emily, now
the wife of Jasper Eagon, and living in Quaker
City; Mary, the widow of William McPlierson,
formerly a resident of Noble County; and Russell,
who is engaged in faimingin Monroe County, near
Calais.

The subject of this sketch was reared on the old
homestead in Monroe Count3', and secured a fair
education in the schools taught in the neiglibor-
hood. He remained under the parental roof until
attaining his majority, wlien he began working at
the carpenter's trade in and around Calais. To
this he added that of bridge-contr.acting, beginning
in this department of work in 1874. He became'
an expert in this line, and was "engaged to build
many structures throughout this and other coun-



ties of the state. He made many improvements in
bridge-building, and secured the patent on an in-
vention connected with this work, from the sale of
which he derived a liandsome income.

In 1888 Mr. Coultas retired from contracting,
and, in order to be at home with his famil3', moved
to Quaker Cit}-, wiiere he purchased a comfortable
residence and prepared to take life easy.- About
tin's time he fitted out a planing-mill, which is now
being operated by his son, Edward D., and began
the manufacture of sash, doors, blinds, etc. He
was a thorough business man, and built ui) a large
and profitable patronage in the line of carpenters'
supplies.

The lady to whom our subject was married De-
cember 25, 1809, was Miss Lydia J. Johnston.
She was the daughter of James and Nancy (Steele)
Johnston, and was born in ^idiinie C'nuiily No-
vember 25, 1850. To them were bmn three chil-
dren, of whom we make the following mention:
Mary A. is the wife of C. W. Eberle, of Quaker
Cit}', and to them have come two children, May
and Levy, the latter deceased. Edward 1). Coultas
married Anise Webster, and they have a daughter,
TlKira. Shirley T. is at home.

In politics our subject was a stanch Republi-
can, but in no sense of the term could be consid-
ered an otticc-secker. He was a member of the
ilasonic fraternity, and belonged to Quaker City
Lodge; also Lodge No. 310, K. of P. Mrs. Coultas
is still residing in Quaker City, in an elegant home
in the west end, and isonc of the devout and con-
sistent members of tin- M.th.Mlist Kjiiscopal Church.
She IS domestic in her ta^lcs, ilcxdted to the inter-
ests of her children, and during her entiie life has
manifested her ability as a helpmate, her consid-
eration as a parent, anrl her value as a friend.

ROBERT T. SCOTT is one of the leading
members of the Bar in Guernsey County.
He was born December 3, 1858. on a farm
two and (.nc-half miles east of C'amluidgo, llie son
of George S. and Caroline A. (Black) Scott. His
earl}' education, which was begun in the district



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



schools near his home, was continued in tlie graded



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 31 of 83)