Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 40 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 40 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


times still is, called Fletcher, where he kept the
first stage oflice and postottice on the Zane Trail,
between Wheeling and Zanesville. The town of
Fairview was not then laid out. A few years later
he was joined by his brother Martin, and in 1841
their brother William (father of Edward Rosemond,
of New Philadelphia, and of Bennett Roseman,
of Cumberland) followed, but contracted on the
voyage an illness, which soon ended fatally. The
wife of Philip was Mary Bennett. To them were
born ten children: Nancy, James, Mary, Martin,
Fanny, Eliza, Jane, Edward, Margaret and Will-
iam, none of whom are living. James, born March
17, 1788, was a merchant, with stores at Fairview,
New Birmingham (Milnersvillo) and New Cora-
erstown. At Birmingliam he was associated with
John Orme, now of Cambridge, and at New Comers-
town with James Dent. Of iiis children, Margaret
married William C. Browne, then a merchant at
Fairview, later of Cadiz, and now a banker at New
Philadelphia; Sarah A., or "Tal," married Harrison
R. Pumphrey, of Croton, Licking County; Mary
married Edward McMackin; :ind James Heniy mar-
ried Amanda M. Campbell; but all are now dead
except Sue T., who lives, unmarried, at Croton,
Ohio. Hattie, daughter of Margaret, married Will-
iam H. Hunter, one of the proprietors of the Steu-
benville Oazetle, and lives in that city. Of Mary's



children, William alone survives, at Cincinnati.
Fred L. Rosemond, onl3' child of James Henry, is
a practicing attorney at Cambridge.

Tracing the descendants of others of Philip's
children, we find that the following children of
Fanny, Mrs. Thompson, survive: William, and Flor-
ence, of the city of Columbus; of Jane, who married
Rev. Tiiomas J. Taylor, a preacher of note, Fran-
ces, wife of John W. Umstot, of Seneeaville, and
Martha, Mrs. Talbot, of Albuquerque, N. M. Fan-
nie's grandchildren are: Ada. May and Frank R.
Smitli; Mrs. Thomas G. Kerr, of Cambridge; and
William Smith, of Mt. Gilead, children of Eben-
ezer and Eliza Smith. The children of Edward
(Canada Ed) are Dr. W. B. Rosamond, of Milners-
ville; Mrs. iVIary Craig, widow of John Craig, of
Washington; Mrs. Fannie Shipley, widow of Sam-
uel Shipley, of Fairview; James R. Rosamond,
of Hendrysburgh; and Margaret, wife of Thomas
Blaser, of Oxford Township.

Another brother of the first Philip who came to
Guernsey County was Edward, who married Sarah
Dowler. Both died in Cambridge and are buried
in the old cemetery there. Of their six children,
one was Nancy, who married Jesse Barkis, and
afterward Thomas Ruckle, and one of whose chil-
dren by the former marriage is Mrs. Julia Davis,
relict of James Davis, of Cambridge; another was
James, father of Mrs. Melissa Romans, of Quaker
City; and another was the Edward known as
"Morristown Ed."

While the spelling of the family name among
these persons varies from Rosamond through Rose-
mond to Roseman, it is believed from the forms of
the name found in the European languages that
Rosemond most nearly conforms to the original.



.At$



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



OTTO THALHEIMER,



OTTO THALHEIMER. of Thalheimer's Bal-
timore Clothing Company, a native of Bad-
en, Geinian.v, lias resided in Cambridge
for the past nine years, and is one of her progress-
ive business men. He opened a store in this
place as early as 1879, and since that lime has* been
manager of retail department stores at different
points. In 1882 he was located in BarnesviUe,
where he remained for three years. lie afterward
made bis headquarters in Caldwell, and from there
came to Cambridge to make his permanent head-
quarters. The Tlialheimer Baltimore Clothing
Company has branch business houses at Uhriciis-
ville and New Comerstown, this state. A man
who is active in everything pertaining to the pub-
lic good, Mr. Thalheimer is Secretary of the Board
of Improvement Committee, helped to secure the
rolling-mill, and is in the front ranks of every en-
deavor to advance the community's interests. He
is an active worker in the Republican party, and
is a pleasing speaker, of good ability and general
popularity. He is not a [)olitician in tlie sense of
being an ollicc-seeker, but without his solicitation
was tendered the nomination for State Senator,
which he declined.

The father of Mr. Tlialheimer, wliose given name
was Abram. lived and died in Germany. He was
a grain-dealer and a good business man. Of his
eight cliildren, four came to America. The good
wife and mother bore the maiden name of Rebecca



Oppenheimer. In order to give better advantages
to tlieir children, the parents removed to Ileil-
bronn, province of Wurteniberg, about 1872, aft-
er the fatiier had retired from business. He died
in March, 1894, and his wife departed this life some
five years previously. Of their children, Samuel
IS now engaged in manufacturing clothing in Bal-
timore, but for seven years was a resident of Cam-
bridge; Fred is deceased; and Sophie is the wife
of Samuel Oppenheimer, of Bridgeport, Ohio.

Otto Thalheimer was born in Baden, Germany,
December 16, 1859, and received good educational
advantages in the excellent schools of Heilbronn.
While in college, he studiecl English, and became
possessed with a fancy to visit America. He ar-
rived in the United States March 22, 1875, and.
settling in Baltimore, attended for some time a
German-English institute in order to become bet-
ter equipped for his future career. He was soon
employed by his uncle, Nathan Schloss, a manu-
facturer of clothing. Before a year had passed the
young man went to Ilariiei 's Ferry, Va.,and clerked
for G. L. Meyers. Afterward he went to Staunton,
Va., and finally, in 1877, opened a store on his
own account in Keyser, W. Ya. This was his first
venture in the commercial woild, and he success-
fully carried on the undertaking for some four
years, in the mean time making a trip to Cam-
bridge, where he established a branch store.

Mr. Thalheimer is a Maspn of tiie Thirty-second




BALTIMORE CLOTHING STORE, WHEELING AVE., CAMBRIDGE, O.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



319



Degree, a Knight Templar and a Mystic Sliriner.
He is also an Odd Fellow, belonging to the sub-
ordinate lodge and to tlie encampment. With
the Knights of Pythias he has been County Dep-
uty and Captain of the Uniformed Rank.



-•^^^©*@l^^^



JOHN H. EVANS is an able representative
of a worthy pioneer family, wliicli settled in
Ohio in 1813, and whose history has since
been identified with the growth and devel-
opment of this state. Mr. Evans was born on the
farm which he now owns and cultivates, and which
is located in Lawrence Township. His homestead
comprises three hundred and fifty acres of as fine
land as can be found in Tuscarawas County. It is
well cultivated and has upon it good farm build-
ings and other improvements.

The first of the Evans family to settle in this
portion of Ohio was David, a native of Pennsyl-
vania, who located in Stark County, near Sparta.
His wife was in her maidenhood Margaret Wag-
goner, and she, too, was born in the Keystone State.
This worthy couple had born to them three sons
and six daughters, who settled in the vicinity of
their parents' home, and whose descendants have
been numbered among the best citizens of Stark
County. One of the sons, Michael, was born No-
vember 24, 1810, and, with the exception of the
first three years of his life, always lived in this state,
which he saw advance from a wilderness to its
present proud position. He settled in the north-
western part of Sandy Township, where he cleared
a farm, part of which is now occupied by our sub-
ject. At the time of his death he was one of the
oldest settlers in the township. March 7, 1833, he
married Miss Catherine Farber, a native of ]Mor-
ristown, N. J., and a daughter of John Farber, who
emigrated to Ohio in 1806. The young couple's
firstchild was John, the subject of thissketch. Tlib
death of Michael Evans occurred February 4, 188G,
and his wife passed away October 20, 1890. Six
13



of their eight children are still living, and of these
James married Annie Dickson, a daughter of John
and Louisa Dickson; Elizabeth is Mrs. J. C. Parks,
of Stark County; Margaret became the wife of
James Hickman, of Bolivar; Mary is unmarried;
and George wedded Millerette, a dauglitcr of
Tliomas Lupher, of Waynesburg. James is en-
gaged in business at Bolivar, being extensivel3' in-
terested in grain transactions.

John II. Evans was reared on the farm which he
now owns. His eaily education was such as the
times afforded, and with this as a nucleus he has
become well informed on general questions of
interest by widely selected reading and private
study. On attaining to man's estate he was united
in marriage, January 1, 1857, to Sliss Mary Helen,
a daughter of Washington Davy, an old settler of
Fairfield Township. The following year Mr. Ev-
ans engaged in farming for himself, and has since
given his time exclusively to agriculture. He has
been prospered in his undertaking, and in addition
to providing liberally for his family, has given his
children the benefit of good educations and other
advantages.

The four children who came to bless the mar-
riage of Mr. and Mrs. Evans are Alfred D.; Kate
E., now the wife of Allen J. Swank, of Stark
County; William M. and Maggie F., the two last-
named being still under the parental roof. Alfred
D., the eldest son, was born July 25, 1857, and re-
ceived good common-school advantages. His life
has been spent in farming in the neighborhood of
the old homestead on which his birth occurred.
For the past two years he has been living on the
old farm, of which he has assumed much of the
management. In the spring of 1884 he married
Ellen Whitmer, and they have four children: John
J., Charles E., Arthur H. and George R. The fa-
ther of Mrs. Alfred Evans is Jacob Wliitmer, a
well known citizen of Bethlehem Township, Stark
County. In February, 1891, occurred the death
of Mrs. Helen (Davy) Evans, who was then fifty-
one years of age. She was a lady of Christian
character, and was universally respected and loved.

The landed jjo^scssions of our subject comprise
some three hundred and fifty acres. For general
farming purposes this is as desirable land as can be



320



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



found anywlieie in the county. It is kept under
a iiigli state of cnltiv.iLioii, and returns abundant
harvests to the fortunate owner. Substantially
built structures for the storing of grain and farm
produce are situated near the pleasant residence,
and everything .ibout the place is kept up in a
thrifty manner. In his political belief Mr. Evans
is a Republican, but is not very active in this di-
rection, though he discharges to the letter every
duty that devolves upon him as a citizen.



-^^^It-^SI^M^



(Tpr DAM LIESER has long been a fixture and
/ — \ most necessary f.actor in the management
of the River Mills, of New Philadelphia.
A generation or two has passed away since he
was first associated with the mills, and it may be
truly said that their success is mainly due to his
steady, careful and scientific methods, as he is thor-
oughly well versed in all that pertains to the
manufacture of flour and the proper operation of
the mills.

The birth of our subject occurred April 18,
1847, in Bavaria, Germany. His parents were
Adam and Henrietta (Beamhard) Lieser. The fa-
ther, likewise a native of Bavaria, was a sash-maker
by trade. In 1851 he emigrated to the United
States, and proceeded direct from New York to
Philadelphia. Though well along in years, he is
still living, his home being in Phillipsburg, Tus-
carawas County. With his wife, he holds member-
ship with the Lutheran Church. Politically he
uses his right of franchise in favor of the Demo-
cratic party. Of the five children born to himself
and wife, Adam and Frederick are residents of
Tuscarawas County, the latter living in Phillips-
burg; Henry is located in Bakersville; Elizabeth,
wife of Simon Hawk, a farmer, resides in Coshoc-
ton County, this slate; and Caroline is Mrs. Luther
Slocker.

The early years of Adam Lieser were spent un-
der the parental roof, and his education was ob-



tained in the public schools of the vicinity. In
18G5 he came to this town to learn the milling
business, and after three years was master of the
trade. He was then promoted to the position of
second miller in the River Mills, and held this
l)lace until 1874. In March of that year he took
charge of tiie mills, and is still connected with the
same. Thus for some thirty years he has steadily
worked his w.ay upward, and has industriously con-
tinued at his post of duty. In April, 1891, he
purchased a one-third interest in the mills, and in
February, 1894, became equal partner with A. Byer,
who was the owner of the mill when our subject
first became connected therewith. The old-fash-
ioned, cumbersome and slow machinery of former
years has been superseded by the roller system,
which was adojjted in these mills in the year 1881.
The plant is run by water-power, and the mill is
well supplied with improved turbine wheels. The
capacity of the concern is about two hundred and
fifty barrels daily, and though their trade is piin-
cipally confined to this state, they have regular
customers in various other counties. A specialty
is made of the " Imperial " brand, and "A. Byer's
Patent" grades of Hour. The partners have a branch
mill at Uhrichsville for the grinding of feed and for
selling the flour supplied by the main mill. The
Uhrichsville mill has an electric motor of twenty-
five horse-power, and the River Mills are also fur-
nished with one of these motors. The wheat used
comes from all parts of the country, by cars and
canal-boats. In addition to fine grades of flour,
the mills furnish different kinds of feed, meal, etc.
The products of the River Milling Company rank
with the first in the state, and the partners find a
ready market for whatever they can manufacture.

September 10, 1870, Mr. Lieser married Miss
Lena Kazmcyer, a native of Wurtemberg, Germanj',
who came to the United States in childhood. Six
children have been born of this marriage: Nattie
and Clara, deceased; William H., who is manager
of the Uhrichsville mill; Augustus A., Arthur and
Gertie, who are at home. The family are members
of the German Reformed Church, and are much re-
spected by a wide circle of friends and neighbors.

In his political ideas Mr. Lieser is a stanch Re-
publican. He belongs to Shoenbrun Lodge No.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



321



430, I. O. O. F., and is also a member of the En-
campment. Personally lie is well known for his
strict honesty and fairness in his dealings with his
customers, and has an enviable reputation for high
principles. lie is a self-made man, having worked
his way upward to a position of prosperity and in-
fluence in the comnninity through his industrious
and worthy qualities.



NOAH HILL, M. D., who died at his home
in fSenccaville, this state. September 12,
1894, was one of the most prominent phy-
sicians of Guernsey County. At his death the
profession was deprived of one of its noblest rep-
resentatives, and the citizenship of the community
sufl'ered a sad loss, lie was born in Westmore-
lanc^, Pa., October 30, 180'.), and was of French
and German descent.

The first of the name to come to America was
Joseph Eichelberg, who was obliged to flee from
his native land on account of the political troubles
whicii were the-.i agitating the countiy. He was
pursued by German soldiers, and was ol)liged to
cast himself into the waters of the Rhine, which
he swam amid a shower of bullets. He made his
way to Paris, and in 1765 arrived in the United
States. Here he changed his name of Eichelberg,
"Oakhill," by dropping the lirst sylhilile and call-
ing himself "Hill," thus shortening and angliciz-
ing the name. Joseph Hill, as we shall hereafter
know him, joined the Continental army and
fought through the Revoiutionary War. His son.
Joseph, Jr., was the father of Stephen Hill, who in
turn w.as the paternal grandfather of our subject,
thus making Joseph Hill, Sr., the great-great-
grandfather.

The maternal ancestors of Noah Hill, as far as
can be traced, were first the great-great-greal-grand-
father, Nicholas Reasoner, a native of France. At
the time of the persecution of the Huguenots, being
of the Presbyterian faith, he, with others, was



driven out of France into Germany. Nicholas
had three sons, Jacob, Benjamin and Garrett, the
latter born in 1710. One of Garrett's sons,
Peter Reasoner, while living in Germany, married
Mary Spiers, about 1763, and came to the United
States about 1770. This worthy couple were
the grandfather and grandmother of Noah Hill.
On their arrival in this country they proceeded to
the Carolinas, where a French colony was already
established, and from there removed to Pennsyl-
vania, settling on the Monongahela River, near
Pittsburg. While there one of the daughters of
Peter Reasoner, named Sarah, married Joseph Hill,
and became the mother of our subject. Peter
Reasoner. who came to Ohio in 1805, settled land
where New Concord now stands, and built the first
Presbyterian Church erected there.

In the year 1814 Noah Hill went with his par-
ents to the vicinity of Norwich, Muskingum Coun-
ty, this state, where they settled on a farm. Here
the future doctor received the benefit of health-
giving farm work, and at the same time took
advantage of the opportunities afforded him for
obtaining an education in the schools of that day.
In due time he received a certificate to te.ach, and
in 1828 went to Senecaville, whei-e he taught the
village school. While thus employed he studied
medicine with his brother-in-law. Dr. John Bald-
ridge, and remained there until 1833.

In the above year our subject attended lectures
at the Cincinnati Medical College, from which in-
stitution he was graduated the following year.
Returning to Senecaville, he formed a partnership
with Dr. B.aldridge, which connection existed until
the death of the latter, in 1844. From that time
until 1862 Dr. Hill practiced alone. That year his
eldest son, John Hill, who had just had the degree
of Doctor of Medicine conferred upon him, entered
into partnership with his father, with whom he
practiced for about ten years. After this our sub-
ject man:iged affairs alone until 1879, when he as-
sociated with him his son-in-law. Dr. AV. Scott.
This partnership was dissolved in 1887, and from
that time until within a year of his decease Dr.
Hill did little else than an oflice practice.

He of whom we write was married, September 3,
1834, to Miss Mary, daughter of Abraham and Jane



322



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



(McCleary) Dil'.e.y, residents of Senecavillc, Ohio.
Their union lesulterl in the birth of tliirteen chil-
dren, one of whom died in infancy, ixnd the others
are all living. Of these Dr. John resides at Vin-
cennes, Ind.; Jane married J. H. Collins, and lives
in Del Korte, Colo.; Stephen B. is a resident of
Bolivar, Mo.; Homer M. is editor of a daily and
weekly paper at Seattle,' Wash.; Nancy married
Harrison Robbins, of Baltimore, Md.; Mary is the
wife of George W. Taylor, of Caldwell, this state;
Sarah is now Mrs. Alfred Weedon, a resident of
Cambridge, Ohio; Elizabeth is the wife of M. L.
Spaid, and is living in Point Pleasant, this state;
Abram D. is living near Senecaville; Leicester K
is a druggist of KSenecaville; Noah L. is engaged in
farming near Senecaville; and Candace L. is the
wife of Dr. W. Scott, whose sketch will appear on
another page in this volume. Our subject at the
time of his decease had thirty-eight grandchildren
and several great-grandchildren. Mrs. Hill de-
parted this life August 13, 1887. She was an ac-
complished lady, and highly respected b}' all who
knew her.

Dr. Hill was converted during the great revival
at Senecaville in 1833, and joined the Methodist
Episcopal Church. He continued to worship with
that denomination until 1847, when he withdrew
his membership on account of the slavery question,
and cast in his lot with the Wesleyan Methodists,
which relationship he maintained until his death.
In politics the Doctor was first an old-line AVhig,
then a Free-soiler, next an Abolitionist and then
a Republican. He was a delegate to the first State
ConTcntion held by the Republican party, and con-
tinued to give to it his support until about eight
years ago, when he espoused the temperance cause,
and joined the Prohibition party. It is here proper
to remark that Dr. Hill aided the slaves in escap-
ing from bondage, and cast one of the first three
Abolition votes in Guernsey County. He was un
aggressive and most positive man. In advocating
what he thought to be right, he was outspoken,
and in the days when to be an Abolitionist was
in the e3'es of the majority a crime, he openly and
positively- declared his belief in abolition.

Dr. Hill was ever prontpt in the duties devolving
upon him as a church member, was liberal in his



supi)ort of the Gospel, and his house was a veri-
table preacher's home. He was a studious man
and well informed on current topics. Although
eighty-five years of age at the time of his death,
his mind was unimpaired, and his advice was
sought until within a few weeks of his demise. He
had a very extensive practice during his j'ounger
years, and was singularly successful in the treat-
ment of disease.



-^^^1®^®!^



FL E T CHER DOUTHITT, Judge of the
pjghth Judicial District of Ohio, resides in
New Philadelphia, where lie is one of its
most influential citizens. He is a native of this
state, and was born February 22, 1840, in Morrow
Countj'. His parents were natives of Pennsyl-
vania, and bore the respective names of Duncan
and Nancy (Braden) Douthitt.

The paternal grandfather of our subject, by
name Joseph Douthitt, was born and reared in
Westmoreland County, Pa., and he, in turn, was
the son of Thomas Douthitt, who located in that
county in 1770, soon after landing in America
from his native Ireland. Duncan and Nancy
Douthitt made the journey to this state in 1838,
locating at once in what is now Morrow County,
where they spent the remainder of their lives, en-
gaged in farm pursuits. The father died in 1852,
and tiie mother, who survived him many years,
passed away in January, 1877. In politics Duncan
Douthitt was a strong Democrat.

The parental household included five children,
those besides our subject being William, Joseph,
John and Mary A. They are all deceased with
the exception of Fletcher, of this sketch. The lat-
ter was reared on the home farm, receiving his
preliminary education in the schools taught in the
district. Being desirous of following a professional
life, he sought to obtain a thorough education, and,
eutering Iberia College, at Iberia, Ohio, took a
course of study in that institution. He next be-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



323



came a student in the Oliio Wesleyan Universit}-,
at Delaware, and subsequently attended the Ohio
State and Union Law College, from which he was
graduated in June, 1864. Soon after receiving his
diploma, he began the practice of iiis profession at
Mt. Gilead, this state, and remained there until
1873, the year of his advent into tiiis county. Mr.
Douthitt first located at Uliriclisville, but shortly
after we find him a resident of New Piiiladelphia.

The first partner of our subject, when starting
out in his profession, was T. D. Ilealea, this con-
nection lasting about two years. He then became
associated with Hon. J. A. I). Richards, and since
the dissolution of their partnership has continued
alone. He is an able advocate, a sound jurist, and
has been very successful at the Bar. Although his
practice is largely a general one, he is strongest in
chancery cases.

Judge Douthitt was elected to the Bench in
1891, and entered upon the duties of his office the
following year. His district embraces Harrison,
Jeflferson and Tuscarawas Counties. He is a very
stanch advocate of Republican principles, and by
that party was elected to llie position of Mayor of
Mt. Gilead in 1868. He has also served very ac-
ceptably on the School Board, and in many other
ways lias been prominent in i)romoting the best
interests of his comniunitj'. He is an influenti.nl
member of the Odd Fellows' fraternity, belonging
to Lodge No. 107 at New Philadelphia, and also
holds membership with Andrew Crawford Post
No. 6, G. A. R.

During the late Civil War, Judge Douthitt en-
listed his services in behalf of the Union, and was



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 40 of 83)