Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 41 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 41 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mustered into service in 1862, as a member of
Company I, Eighty-seventh Ohio Infantry. With
his command lie went to Baltimore, JNId., whence
they were ordered to Harper's Fcrr}-. While en-
gaged in a battle at that place. General Miles sur-
rendered, and many of the Union soldiers were
captured, among them our subject. This was Sep-
tember 15 of the above year, and after being held
a prisoner of war for a short time he was paroled,
and returned home.

When ready to establisu a nonie oi nis own,
Judge Douthitt was united in marriage, July 24,
1864, with Miss Albina, daughter of Hiram and



Pliebc (Stearns) Stevens, of Blooming Grove, this
state. The latter were natives of Pennsylvania,
whence they came to Ohio in a very early day,
and were thus classed among the pioneers. The
three children born to our subject and his estima-
ble wife were Edwin S., an attorney in this city;
John F. and Mildred. In religious affairs Mrs.
Douthitt is an active member of the Methodist
Church.

As a Judge, our subject is popular, both with the
members of his profession and the people. In the
trial of cases which come before him he is careful
and painstaking, thoroughly analyzing all the
points at issue. He is very expeditious in all his
transactions, and has the reputation of discharging
more business than any other Judge of the Court
of Common Pleas in the state.



-s d- . «v ...^(^^.i..^



=^



JAMES STOCKDALE. The gentleman whose
name heads this biography is the genial and
popular "mine host" of the United States
Hotel at Antrim. It is one of the largest
and most comfortably furnished hostelries in the
countjs and is well patronized by the traveling
public.

In tracing the genealogy of the Stockdale fam-
ily, we find it originated in Ireland, where John
Stockdale, the grandfather, was born in the year
1750. He married Jane Seed, who bore him four
children : • Robert, John, James and Moses. On
the death of his companion, that gentleman chose
for his second wife Annie Stoclidale, who became
the motiier of two sons, Hugh and William, both
of whom are deceased, as are also tlie sons of the
first marriage.

The grandfather of our subject crossed the At-
lantic with his family, and after a long and tedi-
ous overland journey located in Madison Town-
ship, Guernsey County, where he purchased a piece
of hind and began its cultivation, thereafter de-
voting his attention to farm pursuits until his



324



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



decease. His son .Tames, tlic f.itlier of cm- subject,
was born in the Emerald Isle, and was a boy when
he accompanied his parents on the trip across the
ocean. His father being one of the pioneers of the
count}', young .Tames was reared in the woods, and,
being desirous and ambitious to acquire a good
education, made the best of the opportunities
given iiim for attending the district school. There
he became instructed in the common brandies, and
was soon pronounced competent to teach. This
was a time when the log schoolhouse was the edi-
fice in which the "master" held fortii, and the
end of the "back-log" served as a seat for him,
while the other end provided accommodation for
the pupils. Mr. Stockdale was one of the early
teachers of the township, and was recognized as a
man of natural genius and an apt scholar. lie de-
veloped into a "pettifogger" of considerable note
and ability, and was well liked by all who sat
under him for instruction.

James Stockdale, Sr., was for thirty years Justice
of the Peace, and was looked upon as the legal
light of this section by his fellow-citizens. iVIany
of his neighbors, to whom he gave counsel, cherish
kind remembrances of him and greatly regretted
his early demise. His decisions on all questions of
equity were regarded as just, and but few, if any,
casea can be called to mind where his decisions
were reversed by a iiigher tribunal. When a young
man he entered his first farm, and the circum-
stances connected therewith illustiate his shrewd-
ness, as well as his perseverance. A neighbor came
to him to borrow money to be used in a certain
enterprise, and Mr. Stockdale, at once seeing the
object of his errand, gatiiered together the neces-
sary funds and started to Zanesville on foot in or-
der to enter his land. His neighbor, in the mean-
time, obtained the desired mone}', and also started
for that place with the same object in view, but on
horseback. Stopping on the way to feed his ani-
mal, Mr. Stockdale made the best of tiie delay and
kept far in advance of his rival, and thus reached
Zanesville first and entered tlie land. To this he
added from time to time, until he became one of
the largest land-owners and prominent and success-
ful farmers of the county. He started in life a
poor man, as we have already shown, and his pos-



sessions were therefore the result of his own labors,
industry and good business management. He gave
to each of his children, whea ready to start in life,
a good farm, valued at ^7,000 or $8,000.

James Stockdale w.as married to Phebe Lenning-
ton in Madison Township, this county, in 182.5.
She became the mother of eleven children, as fol-
lows: Lydia and Moses, deceased; Mary, who mar-
ried John I'innej', of Antrim; Sylvanus, residing in
tliis townsiiip; Elizabeth, now Mrs. John McBride,
of this locality; Jane, deceased; James, the sub-
ject of this sketch; Martha 15., who married Charles
Horn, and is now deceased, as are also Thomas and
Margaret; and Elias. a resident of Sangamon Coun-
ty, 111.

The father was for some ten j'ears engaged in
nncrcaiitile business in the village Of Antrim.
On disposing of his stock of goods he removed
to his farm, and there passed the remainder of his
life following agricultural pursuits. He departed
this life in 1880, and in his death the county lost
one of its most valued cilizens. Politically be was
an old-line Whig in early life, but afterward
voted the Democratic ticket. He was for many
years a member of the Presbyterian Church, and
greatly honored by alt who had the pleasure of his
acquaintance.

James, of this sketch, received his early training
in the schools of the township, and was reared by
his honored fatlier to a full knowledge of farm
work in all its details. This business he followed
until 1892, up to this time being widely known as
one of the most extensive stock raisers and buyers
of this section.

In the above year Mr. Stockdale sold his farm-
ing interests, and has since been engaged in run-
ning a hotel in Antrim. It is known as the United
States, and is one of the best equipped establish-
ments in the township. Since moving into An-
trim he has purchased the old homestead, which
had been sold, and gives his spare time to su-
perintending its operation.

The lady who became the wife of our subject,
February 14, 1860, was Miss Eliza K. Boyd. To
them have been born eight children. Lillie B.
married William Cunningham, and lives in Cam-
bridge; Ulysses Grant is also a resident of that



0^ (A"?^'



PORTRAIT AND RIOGRAPIIICAL RECORD.



325



city; Ilattie L. is deceased; Ora M. is at home;
Lena is deceased; Canie lives witli her i>aient.s;
the next in oider of biitli died in infancy; J)olly
is now Mrs. Lewis Campbell, a resident of Cam-
bridge. Mrs. Stockdale is the dauglitcr of Thomas
Boyd, a representative farmer of (Jiienisey Coun-
ty, where she was born. Our subject is Democratic
in politics, and is prominently identilied with the
Masonic fraternity, having been connected witli
that order for the past quarter of a century.



^^^^^il-^"i^li^#l



/^~y- OL. SAMUEL FOLTZ, one of the most pop-
^J ular and honored citizens of New Phila-
delphia, has been for years financially in-
terested in various large coal companies, and is
also the owner of large landed estates. He is a na-
tive of the Keystone State, his birth having oc-
curred in Lancaster County, December 3, 1822.

The Colonel's paternal grandfatlier was born in
Germany, but came to the United States with his
brothel- while he was still a youth. He soon took
up his residence in Lancaster, while his brother
made his home in New York State. By occupa-
tion he was a farmer, as was also his son, Henry,
tlie Colonel's father. Henry Foil/., was a soldier
in the War of 1812, and in his political faith was
a Democrat. About 18.32 he removed to Ohio,
settling in Wayne County. His death occurred
when he had reached his seventy-eighth year, and
he was placed to rest at DalLon. In religious
views ho was a Dunkard. His wife, Sarah, nee
Michael, was a native of Lancaster, Pa., and of
Scotch parentage. She died at Dalton at the age
of seventy -seven years, having survived her hus-
band scarcely two years. Her parents passed their
entire lives in Pennsylvania, and they too were
identified with the Dunkards. Seven children
were born to Henry and Sarah Foltz, namely:
Elizabeth, who became the wife of Daniel Groff,
and whose death occurred in York County, Pa.;
John, who died in Putnam County, Ohio; Henry,



who departed this life in Massilloii, this state;
Sarah, wife of Daniel Correll, and now deceased;
Mrs. Susan Groff, who lives in Wayne County;
.Jacob, whose death occurred in West Virginia, and
Samuel. With the exception of Elizabeth, all the
members of the family came to the West with their
parents.

Until he was fourteen years of age Samuel Foltz
attended the public schools in the neighborhood of
his home. He then started out into the world to
try his fortunes. For a time he clerked for his
brother Henry, who was then conducting a store
at Dalton. For the first year the lad received |3
a month, and the next year his wages were in-
creased to |4 per month. Later he was given an
interest in the business, and at that time his indus-
trious and persevering qualities laid the found.a-
tion of his future success. The brothers dealt con-
siderably in horses about that time, and our sub-
ject made frequent trips to eastern markets, where
he sold such animals as he had purch.ised in this
state. It was during this period that he became
acquainted with James Buchanan and several mem-
bers of the Cameron family. In 1850 he embarked
in the hardware business with his brother; he also
carried on a dry-goods department, and did a mill-
ing business.

In 1856 our subject went to Cleveland, and en-
gaged in business there. Four years previously
he, in company' with his brother and others, start-
ed to build a railway from (irafton to Wheeling.
This was known .as the Wlieeliiig, iMediiia A Tus-
carawas Valley Railroad. In those days money
was very scarce, and the enterprise wfis finally
given up. About 18(!1 Mr. Foltz became interest-
ed in the coal business, and continued in tliis field
of work until he retired from biisinc.->s. In all his
business ventures he was associated with his bro-
ther up to the time of the hitter's death, which
occurred in 1887, at ISIassillon. The well known
Daniel P. Rhoads was also interested with him in
his Massillon business. Tlie comi)anies with which
our subject was connected were the Biickc^'c Coal
and Coke Company, the Fulton Coal Company
and the Willow Hank Coal Company. He also
owned and operated the Walton Ridge Mines in
Warwick Township, this county. In the early



326



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



days their principal market for the products of
their mines were points in Canada, and Chicago.
Colonel Foltz was among the first to enter exten-
sively into the coal business in this section of the
country, and made the greater part of his wealth
in this field.

Among the fine farming lands in which our sub-
ject has invested, nearly six hundred acres lie in
this county. These farms, which are well im-
proved, he leases or rents on shares. One of his
farms is situated in Lorain County, Ohio. In
Tennessee he owns a large tract of mineral land,
and is only waiting for better railroad facilities in
order to develop its wealth. Wl)en he became in-
terested in the "Walton Ridge Mine, he w.as looked
upon as a "crank" and a wild schemer. Notwith-
standing discouragements, he put in modern ma-
chinery at a large expense, and the results have
justified the wisdom of his course.

At Harrisburg, Pa., Colonel Foltz married Miss
Anna Kulin, March 5, 1850. Iler parents, Jacob
and Susan (Hummel) Kubn,of Pennsylvania, were
Germans by birth. To this union six children have
been born. Lilla, the eldest, became the wife of
John DeMutli,and after his death became the wife
of E. F. Morse, of Stockton, Utah; Clara is the
wife of Charles E. Mitchener, whose biography ap-
pears elsewhere in this volume; Kate is Mrs. E. P.
Mitchener, of Stockton, Utah; Harry resides on a
farm near tliis place, and for his wife chose Miss
jNLaggie T.aylor; Minnie is Mrs. Frank Custer, of
New Phihideli)lua; and Frank is married, and a
well known farmer of Goshen Township. Mrs.
Foltz, who w.as much beloved by all who knew
her, was called to her fin.al rest in 1893, her death
occurring on Easter Suiid.ay. She was a member
of the Presbyterian Church, and was a devoted
Christian.

Though he has alw.ays been intere.sted in the suc-
cess of the Democratic party, and uses his ballot in
favor of its nominees, our subject has steadily re-
frained from acceitting public office, .as his extensive
business interests would not permit. He is a mem-
ber of the !Masonic society, and is also identified
with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His
declining years are being pleasantly passed in his
commodious and modern home on North Broad-



way. The competence which he has acquired by
business enterprise and sagacity he uses to good
purpose, as he is benevolent and ready to assist
the wortliy poor. In manner he is genial and com-
panionalile, readilj' making friends.



WILLIAM B. HOCHSTETLER. This
gentleman, who occupies the prom-
inent position of Treasurer of Tusca-
rawas County, is descended from one of the old
and highly respected families of this section. He
was born June 15, 1854, and is the son of Benjamin
and Barbara (Oaiber) Hochstetler, the former of
whom is likewise a native of Tuscarawas County,
his birth occurring in 1829.

The paternal grandfather of our subject, by
name Isaac Hochstetler, was a native of the Key-
stone State, and came of German parents. Bar-
bara Garbcr was born in Holmes County, this
state, while her parents were German people, na-
tives of Pennsylvania. After her marriage she
located with her husband on one hundred acres of
land in Sugar Creek Township, which they culti-
vated in a profitable manner, and which is now in
the possession of our subject. Benjamin Hochstet-
ler in politics was first a Whig, but after the or-
ganization of the Republican party joined its
ranks. He is very prominent in public aflfairs,
and though his township is strongly Democratic
he has held the office of Trustee for nine years.
Religiously he adheres to the Omish faith, as does
also his good wife. They became the parents of
two children, the sister of our subject being Polly
Ann, now the wife of William Shrock, an agricult-
urist of Sugar Creek Township.

He whose name heads this sketch was brought
up as a farmer boy, and while under the parental
roof was given a common-school education. On
attaining his majoritj', he started out in life on his
own account, having the management of his fa-
ther's farm for a period of seven years. During



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



this time, having accumulated a sufficient sum
of money, he purchased eighty acres, winch he
farms, together with the old homestead, giving
his attention to general agriculture.

William B. Hochstetler was married, May 25,
1876, to Miss C. daughter of Isaac and Anna
Miller, natives of this county. Mr. Miller de-
parted this life about eighteen years ago, and his
good wife is also deceased. To our subject and
his wife there have been born two children: Homer,
now seventeen years of age, and Mila, alad of thir-
teen 3'ears. The family are all members of the
Omish Ciiurch, although they often attend the
Methodist Episcopal.

In his political relations Mr. Hochstetler gives
his support to the Republican party. "When only
twenty- three years of age he was elected School
Director, serving in that capacity for six years at
that time, and on another occasion was the incum-
bent of the office three years. In the spring of
1893 he was the candidate of his party for the
office of County Treasurer, and although the vari-
ous districts were strongly Democratic, was elected
by the handsome majority of five hundred votes.
He began discharging the duties of the position
September 4, 1894, and thus far has given perfect
satisfaction to all concerned. He has always been
very active in all public affairs and is one of the
most prominent men in his township. As an offi-
cial he is very popular and is held in high esteem
by his hosts of friends and acquaintances.



AMUEL W. LUCCOCK, living in Kimbol-
ton, Ohio, is a wealtliy retired business
man, and has long been one of the i)romi-
nent citizens of this count\'. He comes from one
of the sterling, hardy old pioneer families, whose
history has been closely interwoven with the prog-
ress and development of this region. In 1878 he
was elected to serve as Justice of the Peace, and
was re-elected on the expiration of each term un-
til 1890. In politics he is a stanch Republican,
and has given his ballot in favor of party nomi-



nees since the organization of the same. His first
ballot was cast for Pierce.

The parents of our subject were Napthali and
Jane (Thomson) Luccock, both natives of England,
the former born in 1798, and the latter in March,
1806. The paternal grandparents of our subject
were Thomas and Rebecca (Stevens) Luccock, and
his maternal grandparents were Benjamin and
Elizabeth (Moore) Thomson. Thomas Luccock
was a grocer and iron-monger in Kimbolton, Eng-
land, in which place he resided until his death.
Benjamin Thomson emigrated from England to
"Wooster, Ohio, where he conducted a drug store
until shortly before his death, which event took
place March 21, 1832. The marriage of Napthali
Luccock and Jane Thomson was celebrated in
Wooster, Ohio, January 2, 1822. The latter died
November 6, 1828, leaving four children. Thomas
is a farmer of Kimbolton; Benjamin is deceased;
and Elizabeth died in infancy. After the death of
his first wife, Napthali Luccock married Miss Mary
Wiggins, who survived their union only a short
time. After her demise he married Maria Kinkaid,
and to them was born one daughter, Maria, widow
of Dr. Black, and now a resident of Columbus,
Ohio. The mother departed this life March 10,
1832. The fourth wife of the father of our sub-
ject bore the maiden name of Rebecca Kile. There
were no children born of this marriage, and the
wife died in 1873. In the fall of 1830 the senior
Mr. Luccock settled in Wooster, Ohio, where he en-
gaged in farming. For a time he then lived in
Gerinantown, F.a., but later returned to Wooster,
from where he subsequently emigrated to Coshoc-
ton, thence to Plainfield, and finally to Liberty,
now known as Kimbolton. Here he was engaged
in general merchandising for many years; he also
operated a farm, taught school, and was Justice of
the Peace and Township Clerk for several terms.

The birth of our subject occurred in Coshocton
County, this state, February 27, 1827. His time
until he reached his majority was passed in his
father's store, and in pursuing his studies at the
district schools. Going to Cambridge, he clerked
for about a year in a mercantile establishment, and
later was employed in the store of William Craig,
of New Comerstown. Then, returning home, he



328



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



entered into partnership witli his brother and fa-
ther in a general store. In 1849 he went to Cali-
fornia, svliere he remained for three months, but
was taken sick and returned home as soon as pos-
sible. The firm with which he was identified was
known as N. Luccock & Sons until 1868, at which
time our subject withdrew. From that time for-
ward his principal energies were given to farm-
ing, though he has always lived in the village. As
an agriculturist he has been very prosperous, and
is now the fortunate possessor of one thousand
acres in this township.

October 11, 1855, occurred the marriage of S. W.
Luccock and Miss Elizabeth Day, who was born
near Rumley, Jefferson County, Ohio, September
7, 1837. Her parents, George and JaneT. (Moore)
Day, were also natives of Jefferson County. The
father, who was born in Jefferson County in
1809, died in Coshocton in 1892. He practiced
medicine in New Rumley, Harrison County, and
in New Comerstowu, and from there went to
Orange, Coshocton County, continuing in practice
there until 1866. He was attending physician at
the birth of the lamented General Custer. He was
a life-long member of the Presbyterian Church.
His parents were George and Sarah (Rogers) Day,
the former of whom was born in Burgettstown,
Pa. After their marriage they removed to Jeffer-
son County, Ohio, where they were earl3' settlers.
Mr. Day was a very prominent citizen, and held
many public offices of trust and honor. Mrs. Jane
Day was born in "Washington Count}', Pa., Febru-
ary 22, 1814, her parents being William and
Elizabeth Moore. William Moore was a native
of Ireland, but was brought by his parents to the
United Slates when only a year old. The mar-
riage of George and Jane Day occurred in Jeffer-
son County, Ohio, February 2, 1836. Their daugh-
ter, Sarah R., born June 25, 1841, died in July,
1893.

The union of our subject and wife has been
blessed with three children, two sons and a daugh-
ter. The eldest, George N., is pastor of the Met-
ropolitan Church of Washington, D. C. Howard
W., the other son, is an attorney-at-law in Cam-
bridge. Jane T. is the wife of Rev. Daniel R.
Walker, now a resident of Williamsburg, Ohio.



The cause of education has always found in Mr.
Luccock a true friend, and though his own oppor-
tunities were not of the best, he gave hisown chil-
dren exceptional advantages. For a number of
years he has served as School Director, and has al-
ways been in favor of giving the rising genera-
tion good educational facilities. Religiously he is
a member of the Presbyterian Church.



-=-:=m>-^^r



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 41 of 83)