Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 44 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 44 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ber 14, 1837, to his second wife, Elizabeth (Kin-
kaid) Richardson, the widow of William Richard-
son, and they became the parents of a daughter,
Rebecca Jane, born June 20, 1838; she is now liv-
ing on the old homestead. Mrs. Elizabeth Smith
departed this life August 22, 1838, and the third
marriage of her husband took place November
14, 1839, at which time Hannah (Webster) Foulk,
widow of Silas Foulk, became his wife. This lady,
who became the mother of our subject, had a family
of five children. She died on Christmas Day, 1873.
Ann Eliza, born May 29, 1846, is now the wife of
S. S. Hartley; Sarah Ellen, born August-29, 1848,
married J. B. Hartley; Jonah Lindley, born April
1, 1851, died August 1 of the following year;
Jejitha W. is our subject; Jane, born July 28,
1853, is the wife of J. T. Bundy and lives in Qua-
ker City.

Our subject was educated in the town schools of
his native county, and for many years had entire
charge of his father's extensive business interests.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD."



341



Soon after his marriage witli Miss Sarah E. Hartley,
which was celebrated August 28, 1872, he located
on his present fine farm and has since given his
attention to its cultivation. Mrs. Smith was the
daughter of Noah and Millie (Hall) Hartley, old
and highly esteemed pioneers of this section. To
Mr. and Mrs. Smitli iiave been born two daugliters,
Minnie L., born October 26, 1873, and Charme G.,
March 30, 1880. The former graduated from the
high school here in 1891; the j-ounger dauglitcr is
still attending school, and both reside at home
with their parents.

Mr. Smith is one of tlie stanch advocates of He-
publican doctrines. Although he has often been so-
licited to do so, he persistently refuses to accept pub-
lic office, preferring to devote his time to liis private
interests and let those fill office wlio have a desire
for such honors. He is a member of Quaker City
Lodge No. 500, F. & A. M. He is a prominent and
influential citizen, widely and favorably known,
and his sterling wortli and strict integrity have
won him the confidence and high regard of all
with wliom he has been brought in contact.



>=^^^Mil'^"i^i^^i



JUDGE ABRAHAM W. PATRICK is one of
the old and prominent citizens of New Fliil-
adelpliia. This community, in wliich lie was
born and has passed nearly liis entire life, he
has ever been interested in, and to the utmost of
his ability he has promoted its welfare.

The Judge was born August 2, 1831, to James
and Catherine (Westfali) Patrick. The former
was born and reared in thecity of Belfast, Ireland,
and emigrated to the United States in 1815. He
landed in Norfolk, Va., and from there went to
Philadelpliia, where he became foreman in the of-
fice of the Aurora, a leading newspaper. He had
learned the printer's trade in Belfast, where he
had received a collegiate education. In 1819 lie
came to this place and started the Tuscarauas
Chronicle, which he continuously edited up to



1846, with the exception of only t'..o years. His
son Andrew assumed the management of the pa-
per in the year last mentioned. The sheet was a
Whig in politics and for years was considered one
of the best exponents of its party's principles.
After leaving the field of journalism, James Pat-
rick was placed on the Bench of the Court of Com-
mon Pleas, where he remained about seven years.
He had taken up the study of law by himself, and
became an able jurist. After the formation of the
Republican party ho became one of its stanch sup-
porters. In the early days of this county's histoiy
he occupied the positions of Recorder and Auditor,
making a faithful officer. He was a son of Hugh
P. Patrick, a merchant in Belfast. Though reared
in the Presbyterian faith, he was never a member
of the church. After living a long and useful life
he was called to his final rest in 1883, aged ninetj'
years. His wife was the daughter of Capt. Abra-
ham Westfali, who won .his title in the Revolu-
tionary War, and lived in New Jerse3', not far
from New York City. He was a highly educated
and scholarly man, and a person of prominence in
tlie community where he made his home. His
wife, Naomi, nee Van p]tta, was of Dutch descent,
and a veiy accomplished lady, noted for her rare
beauty.

To James and Catherine Patrick were born six
children: Andrew, a resident of New Philadelphia;
Rachel, wife of David McFarland; Annie, who
married Judge James Moffett; James, Jr., who for
five years was Judge of the Court of Common
Pleas of the Tuscarawas District; Abraham, whose
name heads this article; and Catherine, Mrs. Joseph
Medill, of Chicago.

The boyhood of Judge Abraham W. Patrick was
spent in the home of his parents. His preliminary
education was received at the public schools of the
localit}-, after which he was sent to the college at
New Athens. Later he studied law at Mt. Vernon,
Ohio, in the office of Lapp ik Smith, and was ab-
mitted to the Bar at Columbus, Ohio. On begin-
ning the practice of his profession, he located in
Mt. Vernon, where he remained for a^ear. At the
end of that time he came to this city and opened
an office, where he has since been engaged in prac-
tice. At one time ho had in partnership with him



342



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



his brother James. About 1858 he was elected to
tlie position of Prosecuting Attornej-, and after-
ward to that of Probate Judge. In 1871 he was
sent to represent the Senatorial District in the
State Legislature, where lie disi)layed marked abil-
ity and fidelity to liis constituents. lie introduced
a number of bills for the advancement of the pub-
lic welfare and made an enviable reputation as a
public speaker.

January 31, 1858, Judge Patrick was married, in
this city, to Mary Talbott, who came from one of.
the old and respected families of this county. Her
parents were Joseph and Eliza (Williams) Talbott.
Three children came to bless the union of the
Jud^e and his worthy wife: Hugh T.; Kate M.,
who became the wife of Charles W. Harper, of
Columbus, Ohio; and one child who died in in-
fancy.

A close law student, blessed with an analytical
mind and gifted in bringing out all the .strong
points of a cause, the Judge is, however, particu-
larly able in addressing a jury. In questions in-
volving life, such as capital cases, he rises to
flights of eloquence and oratory rarely surpassed.
For the past thirty years his services have been in
great demand in this portion of the state on legal
complications of great moment. In disposition he
is genial and sociable, and as he is a man of origi-
nal thought and progressive ideas, he is very en-
tertaining as a conversationalist. B}' his friends
and neighbors he is esteemed and greatly loved;
as a citizen he is patriotic and devoted. Politic-
ally he belongs to the old school of Democracy,
and in former years was actively interested in the
advancement of his party. Fraternally lie is iden-
tified with the Masonic order.

Dr. Hugh T. Patrick, the only son of Judge
Patrick, is deserving of special mention. He se-
cured a literary education at the Wooster (Ohio)
University, and suliscquently pursued a course of
medical study at Bellevue Hospital in New York
Citv. After his graduation he began practicing
in Chicago, where he continued to reside for four
years. Desiring higlier advantages, he went to
Europe, and was a student in the celebrated uni-
versities of Heidelberg, Vienna, Berlin, Paris and
London. He gave special attention to nervous



diseases and expects to make this bis particular
field of work. In 1894 he returned to Chicago
and resumed practice, having his v..fHce in the Ven-
etian Building. He stands in the front rank of
the physicians of that city and has a constantly
increasing clientage.



^^SH-^-J^P^^i^



JOHN DAVY OTIS, M. D., one of the most
prominent physicians of this county, is a na-
tive of Ohio, having been born in Stark
County, Januarj' 24, 1818. He is the son of
Jesse and Charlotte (Davy) Otis, the former of
whom was born in Vermont. He in turn was the
son of Edward H. Otis, who was a soldier in the
Revolutionary War, enlisiing when eighteen years
of age, and serving through the entire conflic t
His father, Stephen Otis, was also in the ranks of
the Continentals, and at the battle of Bunker Hill
served as Major under General Warren, whom
he advised not to attack the British on that oc-
casion, as they outnumbered him. The advice,
however, was not taken, and AVarren made the 'at-
tack and was killed. The command was then
thrown upon Major Otis, who retreated with his
regiment. He was then promoted to be General,
which position he held when taken prisoner by the
British. When about to he exchanged, the enemy
treated him to a drink of whiskey, which contained
smallpox virus. He, of course, was soon taken
with that dread disease, and died, together with
his good wife, who had come to nurse him. Gen-
eral Otis' father, Robert, at the age of eighty years,
enlisted as a soldier in the War of the Revolution.
He was the uncle of James Otis, who made the first
speech in favor of the Revolution, and of which
John Adams said "Then and there the child of In-
dependence was born." His birth occurred at
Barnstable, Mass., in 1725, and his death, which
was caused by lightning, took place in 1783.

Robert Otis served through the entire period of
the Revolution, and lived to the advanced age of



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



343



one hundred and fifteen years. On reaching Ins
one hundredth birthday ho lost his eyesight, and
continued to be blind for ten years, when his sight
was restored, and until his death he could read
his Bible without the use of glasses.

The father of our subject removed to this state
a short time prior to the outbreak of the War of
1812. His parents had settled here two years be-
fore, where his father followed his profession as a
Baptist preacher. Jesse had learned blacksraithing
in Troy, N. Y., and after making his home in the
Buckeye State continued to ply his trade. Dur-
ing the War of 1812 be was kept busy making
tomahawks for the soldiers. He lived to the age
of sixty-three, and died while residing in Wayne
County. His good wife, whose maiden name was
Charlotte Davy, was born in Frederick, Md., and
was brought to this county by her parents in 1805.
Indians were very numerous in the neighborhood,
and on one occasion the family was saved from an
awful death at their hands by the interference oi
Chief Buckwheat, who was afterward killed.

The parents of our subject reared a family of
the following-named children: Jolin Merrill, Na-
thaniel, William, Ann, Edward, Mary, Ezekiel and
Henry. Our subject received his preliminary edu-
cation at home, and at the age of fifteen years
commenced teaching school, which he continued
to do off and on for a period of four years. lie
then entered Wadswortli College, taking a course
of three years, and from this institution he was
graduated. He then again engaged in teaching,
and about this time began reading medicine, prin-
cipally under the instruction of Dr. Woolford.
Subsequently he entered the Cleveland Medical
College, from which he was graduated in 1862,
and immediately located for practice in New Phil-
adelphia. He has built up a large and lucrative
patronage, and is one of the most successful physi-
cians in this section of the state.

Dr. Otis was married, March 16, 1843, in Stark
County, this state, to Miss Eliza Ann, daughter of
Philip and Sarah Welty. Their union has resulted
in the birth of five children, namely: Miriam, Sy-
mantha, Malcom A., Mary and Ida. Ida is the
wife of Rev. Frank Karl, of Alliance, this state;
Symantha married James Grant, of Fostoria; and



Miriam and Malcom A. are deceased. The Doctor
and his wife are members in good standing of the
Lutheran Church, and in politics the former is a
true-blue Republican. He stands high in Masonic
circles, in which order he takes great interest.

Edward Otis, the grandfather of our subject, at
the age of ninety years started on horseback to visit
his daughter, who lived three hundred miles dis-
tant. While en route, his horse stumbled, causing
injuries which resulted in his death. Dr. Davy,
the maternal great-grandfather of our subject,
aided in founding the first medical college in Bal-
timore, Md. He left this country for England in
order to take possession of his estate, and when on
the return trip the vessel on which he was sailing
was wrecked, and notliing was ever afterward
heard of him.

Dr. John Otis is one of the old and familiar
landmarks of New Philadelphia, where he is most
beloved. In his earlier davs, when health and vig-
or were his, he had an exhaustive practice, which
he built up by his skill as a physician. His hand,
however, has lost none of its cunning, although
he is practically retired from the labors of his pro-
fession.






/—y EORGE LEANDER METZGER is a gen-
Vi; «ral farmer of York Township, and one of
tlie worthy old settlers of this loealit3%
Mo owns a large and valuable farm, a portion of
which had formerly formed a part of the old
homestead owned by his father. For over half a
century his life history and achievements have
been identified with those of Tuscarawas County,
and his parents were among the first pioneers of
AVarwick Township.

Our subject, who was born November 1, 1842,
is one of the eleven children of David and Cath-
erine (Walton) Metzger, who were natives of Penn-
sylvania. The former, a son of George and Effle



344



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



A. (Carpman) Melzger, was born in 180G. The
latter were natives of Germany, and when j-oung
emigrated to Pennsylvania. From that state lliey
came at an early day to Warwick Township, and
there resided until death called tliem from their
labors. Our subject's mother was born April 22,
1822, and was the daughter of Asa Walton. She
was married in 1841 to David Metzger, and became
the mother of the following children: George, the
subject of this sketch; Lucy A., the wife of Hiram
Metzger, a general farmer of this township; Sarah
S., wife of H. Beaber, also a farmer of York Town-
ship; Eflie A. and Barbara, dece.ised; Ellen R., Mrs.
George Rickert, of Lockport, Ohio; David A., who
resides in Ashland County, this slate; Isabel, of
New Philadelphia; Jefferson, whose home is in
Warwick Township; Su?an, Mis. Clark Rickert, of
Lockport; and William, an agriculturist of War-
wick Township.

The first wife of David Metzger bore the maiden
name of Mary Howe. Her death occurred shortly
after their marriage, and subsequently the father
married Barbara, daughter of David and Barbara
Mathias. To this union were born two sons and
two daughters. Alexander, Lucy A. and their
brother all are deceased; and Elizabeth is the wife
of David Anderson, who is the owner of a tine
farm in Warwick Township. The demise of David
Metzger occurred September 21, 1877, but his wife,
Catherine, is still living on the old homestead in
Warwick Township, where her entire married life
was passed. She is now in her seventy-third year.

George L. Metzger continued to live under the
parental roof until twenty-one years of age. For
some time previous he was engaged in making shin-
gles and in various other lines of business. About
1871 he went to Colorado, where for nine months
he worked on the railroad and at farming. He
then returned to York Township and soon resumed
his former occupations. It was in 1870 tliat he
purchased his first piece of property, this being
forty acres, a portion of the old homestead. His
home is still on this farm, which he has enlarged
to its present proportions, there being now two
hundred and fourteen acres within its limits. Al-
ways a very industrious and hartl-working man,
Mr. Metzger well deserves the prosperity which he



has earned, and which now crowns his efforts of
former years. His educational privileges were some-
what limited, but he has become woU informed by
observation and general reading. He has never
aspired to occupy official positions, and is not con-
nected with any party organization.

In 187-3 Mr. Metzger married Catherine, daugh-
ter of Jacob Yingling, who was a native of Mary
land. Mrs. Metzger was born in 1848, and by Uer
marriage became the mother of six children, as fol-
lows: Maggie A. and Elzena, who live at home;
and Minnie M. and thr-ac others, deceased. De-
cember 20, 1882, our subject married Priscilla Kis-
lig, who was born in 1854. Her parents, David
and Catherine Kislig, were natives of Germany,
and emigrated to the United States when young.
Seven children were born to George and Priscilla
Metzger. Four of the number died in infancy,
and the others are: Charles H., George L. and Ed-
ward T., who live with their parents. The latter
are members of the Lutheran Church, and have a
wide circle of friends and acquaintances, who es-
teem them highly for their sterling qualities.



WILLIAM SCOTT, who, for the past
twelve years has been identified with
the farming and stock-raising interests
of Jefferson Township, Guernsey County, is rec-
ognized as one of her most progressive and wide-
awake citizens. He was born in Ohio, April 19,
1825, and is the son of William Scott, Sr., whose
birth occurred in Pennsylvania, July 28, 1787.
This gentleman was married to the lady who be-
came the mother of our subject on Christmas Day,
1811, by Rev. Closes Allen. Her maiden name was
Mary Armstrong, and her bii^htook place in Penn-
sylvania, November 12, 1785.

Of the brothers and sisters of our subject, Jo-
seph, who was born October 9, 1812, was accident-
ally drowned when quite young; Abraham was
born July 2, 1815, and is now deceased; Susan,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



345



born July 16, 1816, became the wife of James Old-
bam September 22, 1835, and died May 19, 1875;
John, who was born April 9, 1818, was married to
Lucretia O. Black, October 20, 1842, and died
August 22, 1881; Margaret was born February 3',
1820, and died July 11, 1843; and Nancy, born
February 25, 1822, married Daniel Marling, and
only survived her union one year, dying Septem-
ber 8, 1845.

When ready to establish a home of his own, Will-
iam Scott, of this sketch, was married, October 2,
1851, to Miss Mary C. Black. They have had no
children of their own, but have performed the part
of parents to a child named Charles Braden, whom
they took into their hearts and home when a babe
of fifteen months. He was a very bright and lova-
ble boj', and was taken from them by death when
a lad of nine years.

Joseph K. and Anna Elizabeth (Hutchins) Black,
the parents of Mrs. Scott, were natives of Loudoun
County, Va., the father being born in 1795, and the
mother in 1799. To them were born ten children,
and of these Lucretia O., who was born April
22, 1819, married John Scott, brother of our sub-
ject. Clarinda E., born October 14, 1820, became
the wife of Josephus Pero, December 1, 1847. Ce-
phas N., born January 31, 1822, married, October
31, 1843, Miss Margaret Reeves, and their five chil-
dren bear the respective names of Converse C, An-
na Eliza, Joseph R., Mary A. and Violet I. Their
mother died March 12, 1858, at her home near
Cambridge. Cephas was then married to Bath-
sheba Bratton, and to them were born five children,
all of whom are living. Gain R. Black was born
May 16, 1823, and married Matilda Powell; they
make their home in Peoria, 111. Henry C, born in
December, 1825, is a physician in Freeport, Harri-
son County. Eliza F.,born July 28, 1827, married
J. Linkhart, March 26, 1856, and they have six
children, and make their home in Oxford, Iowa;
Corda C. was born February 14, 1827, and became
the wife of Robert Teaker October 25, 1855; she is
now deceased, having died at her home in Charles-
ton, 111. Tallyrand, the youngest child, was born
June 4, 1830, and March 19, 1863, was married to
Ellen George.

Of the children of John Scott, the brother of



our subject, Joseph W., born on the 2d of Janu-
ary, 1846, is married and has three children, How-
ard, Mary and Walter. Mary A., born on the
24th of April, 1844, married I. H. Luce, a hard-
ware merchant of Lakefield, Minn., and is now de-
ceased. Annie E., born December 14, 1847, died
in Oxford, Iowa, in 1867. Susan C, Lorn Septem-
ber 26, 1850, married William Staley, and makes
her home in Sac County, Iowa.

Mr. Scott, of this sketch, made his home in Cam-
bridge Township, Guernsey County, until within
the last twelve years, since which time he has been
identified with the farming interests of Jefi'erson
Township. He is recognized as one of its intelli-
gent, as well as successful, citizens, en joj's the con-
fidence of the business community, and commands
the esteem of his neighbors. He is a true-blue Re-
publican in politics, and takes great interest in the
triumphs of his party. In religious affairs he is .in
active member of the United Presbyterian Church,
with which he has been identified for the past forty-
one years, and is one of its valued followers.



JOSIAH R. KNOWLTON is one of the old-
est and most respected citizens of Guernsey
Count}-, and since 1844 has made his home
in Cumberland. He is now retired from act-
ive business, but for upwards of forty-three years
was a leading business man of the place. In pol-
itics he is a Republican, and fratcrnallj' is identi-
fied with Cumberland Lodge No. 200, I. O. O. F.,
having been one of the first initiates after it was
instituted in 1852.

The great-grandfather of Josiah, of this sketch,
was Roswell K. Knowlton, who, with his brother
Joseph, was born at East Haddam, Conn. Their
father was Thomas Knowlton, and his father Lieut.
Thomas Knowlton, a soldier of the Revolution.
He, in turn, was a son of Thomas Knowlton, of
Ipswich, Mass., whose father, William, was one of
three brothers who, accompanied by their parents.



346



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



emigrated from England in 1732. Tlie father died
at sea, and the lemainder of the famil}- settled in
Ipswich, Mass.

Warren Knowlton, our subject's father, was
born in the Bay State, and in 1817 moved to Vir-
ginia, wliere he cleared a farm, which he subse-
quently lost, on account of a defective title. In
1829 he came to this locality, and, settling over
the line in Noble County, bought one hundred
and sixty acres of land. He was the first black-
smith and gunsmith at French Creek. He died in
Athens County, Ohio. His wife, Mary, was a
daughter of Capt. Josiah Dunbar, a Revolutionary
hero and a native of Scotland. To Warren Knowl-
ton and his wife, Mary, were born six children,
viz.: Josiah R., Roswell, Emelinc, Nancy, Hiram
and William H. The two last-named died in Vir-
ginia. After the death of Mrs. Mary Knowlton,
the father married a Mrs. Graham (nee Burt), and
their only child, Mary, is the wife of Albert Law-
son, editot of the Cincinnati Tribune. Warren
Knowlton was a regular minister in the Baptist
church. Politically he was a Whig, and in later
years a Republican.

The birth of Josiah R. Knowlton occurred in
Belcher, Hampshire County, Mass., August 20,
1815. He went to Virginia with his father, and
in 1829 came to Ohio. When eighteen years old
he began teaching, being one of the first to obtain
a certificate under the law requiring an examina-
tion of candidates for teaching. In 1843 he came
to this place, where he engaged in merchandising
for several years. In company with Russell Prouty,
he started a shop for the manufacture of engines,
after which he gave his attention to cutting lum-
ber with a portable engine, which was one of the
first of the kind ever built in the country. For
the past few years he has not actively engaged in
business. He has served as Trustee, Clerk and
Treasurer of the township, and for twenty-four
years has been a Notary Public. Politically he
was a Whig, and is now a Republican. In his
religious views he is a Baptist.

Auo-ust 14, 1838, Mr. Knowlton married Sarah
B., daughter of Joseph and Melinda (Rice) Lip-
pitt, who were born in Cranston, R. 1. Mrs.
Knowlton, who died December 11, 1892, was born



in Noble Township, Noble County, in 1818, and
by her marriage became the mother of three chil-
dren, viz.: Fidelia, who died at the age of twelve
years; Irvillc N.; and Linus R., who died when in
his fourth year.

The only surviving son of our subject, Irville
N., was born in Morgan County, Ohio, November
26, 1841, and was educated in the common schools.
On reaching his majority, he became a watch-
maker and photographer, and worked at that call-
ing for twelve years. Turning his attention



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 44 of 83)