Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 45 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 45 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


exclusively to photography, he conducted a gal-
lery for eighteen years, after which he embarked
in the grocery business, to which his time was
given until 1893. In politics he is a Republican,
and socially is an Odd Fellow and Mason. May
15, 1866, he married Mary L., daughter of Joseph
and Mary (Marshall) Phillis. Eight children were
born o\ this union, viz.: Nettie E., Mrs. Ad-
die E. Conner, J. Frank (a dentist), Fred A.,
Sarah L., Mary N., Willie C, and Bertha, who died
in infancy. Prior to their marriage, both Mr.
Knowlton and his wife were Presbyterians, but
have since been affiliated with the Baptist Church.



FRANKLIN MISKIMEN has resided at his
present home near New Comerstown since
1878. During this period he has engaged
in the growing of small fruits, and has also been
employed more or less as a surveyor. This call-
ing he learned when about fifteen years of age,
becoming master of it through his own efforts, as
he had but little instruction, but has nevertheless
made a success of the undertaking. In 1893 he
was elected County Surveyor on the Republican
ticket, a marked victory, as he received a majority
of nearly tlirec hundred votes in what is considered
one of the strongholds of Democracy. For a
period of three years he was Justice of the Peace,
and since 1875 has been connected with the Cen-
tral Ohio District Fair Association, in which he



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



347



has been President, Vice-President, Treasurer for
three years, and a member of the Board of Control.

The parents of Franklin Miskimen were John
and Rachel (Burt) Miskimen, natives of Coshoc-
ton County, Ohio, and Orange County, N. Y., re-
spectively. The father of John Miskimen was
James, a native of Northumberland County, Md.,
born in 1774. His father in turn came from the
North of Ireland, an exile seeking a home. He
was of Scotch-Irish stock, and religious persecu-
tion led to his flight, for he was a Covenanter. He
followed the weaver's trade, while his son James
adopted agricultural pursuits as a means of obtain-
ing a livelihood. The original spelling of the name
was either McKimmon or McKinnon, but it was
changed in the fore part of tliis century. James
Miskimen came to Ohio about 1805, located in
Linton Township, Coshocton County, and there
kept a trading-post for some years. He was one
of the first Board of Commissioners of the county,
a prominent citizen, and became the owner of large
tracts of land. He was a great hunter, and had
many adventures with the Indians. It is claimed
that he passed through the Tuscarawas Valley in
1799, as one of the corps of surveyors who crossed
over to the Sciota Valley and returned by Zanes'
Trail. In 1802 he stopped temporarily in Coshoc-
ton County, where laud to the extent of four
thousand acres was offered to him for $1000. He
refused to buy on account of the absence of large
timber, as the land was located on the plains. He
was born in 1774, and died in 1840.

Our subject's father, John Miskimen, was mar-
ried in 1841 to Rachel, daughter of Daniel Burt.
Her family was descended from some of the first
settlers in New England, where it is known tliey
were residents as early as 1624. For many years
John Miskimen was engaged in farming in Coshoc-
ton County, but in 1869 removed into Tuscarawas
County, where he died in 1870. Of his twelve chil-
dren, five died in early childhood. Those living
are as follows: Daniel, a farmer near tliis city;
Franklin, our subject; Charlotte, Mrs. Sheldon
Dickinson, of this place; Mary, wife of George W.
Miskimen, manager of the Hardesty Mill Company,
of Canal Dover; John C, who is on the old home-
stead in Coshocton County; George W., a farmer



of the same localilv; and Rachel A., Mrs. E. C.
Crater, whose husband is a jeweler of New Com-
erstown.

A native of Coshocton County, our subject was
born December 10, 1845, and was reared to farm-
ing pursuits. He was educated in the district
schools of the neighborhood, and later was a stu-
dent in the New Comerstown High School. After a
course of study in Duff's Commercial College at
Pittsburg, he graduated in 1865. Returning home,
he obtained a position in the bank, but on account
of poor health, returned to outdoor life on the farm.
In 1870 he went to Kansas, and until Decembei',
1874, was a resident of Allen County. Returning
thence to this state, he settled in the county of his
birth, where he continued to make his home until
1878, since which time his lot has been cast with
the inhabitants of New Comerstown.

Prior to his removal to Kansas, our subject was
married, in Mattoon, 111., to Miss Lucy McMuun,
the date of the ceremony being April 4, 1870.
The lady is the daughter of Samuel McMuun, a
prominent farmer and stock-dealer of the Buckeye
State before liis death. Eight children were born
to our subject and his wife, three of the number
having died in infancy. Bertha G. is now in Illi-
nois; and the others, John S., Rachel, Catherine C.
and James M. B., are at home.

A man of industrious and energetic habits, Mr.
Miskimen is deserving of the success he has reached,
and by all who know him he is most highly es-
teemed. Since 1886 lie has been Treasurer of the
Cemetery Association, and is identified with all
local improvements. Socially he is a member of
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.



-^=^^i|^.|^i



JESSE S. DEARDORFF. Tliis gentleman, now
living temporarily in New Philadelphia, is
one of the old and prominent citizens of
Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and was born in
Canal Dover, November 2, 1818. His parents were
Christian and Margaret R. (Butt)-Deai-dorff, the
former of whom was a native of what was then
York County, Pa., but is now Adams County, and
was born in 1781. He in turn was a son of Isaac
Deardorff, the son of John, the son of Anthony,
tlie latter of whom was born in Germany, whence
he fled with his wife and three sons, Peter, John
and Anthony, to this country on account of relig-
ious persecutions, landing in Philadelphia in 1729.
He later located in York County, Pa., and from
him, it is supposed, all the Deardorfifs who were born
in York, Adams, Franklin or Cumberland Coun-
ties, Pa., were descended. They were Dunkards
in religious faith. Grandfather Isaac Deardorff
purchased a farm in 1771, and owned a grist-mill,
which he 0])erated in addition to working his farm.
For some time he was engaged in the manufacture
of linseed oil and oil from nuts, and built a large
limestone dwelling-house in 1786, located near the
crossroads leading from Harrisburg to Gett3'sburg,
and from Carlisle to York and Baltimore City. This
building still stands, in good preservation, and is
now the home of his grandson, George L., by him
inherited from his father, George, Sr.

During tlie youth of Christian Deardorff, son of
the above gentleman, German was the prevailing
language spoken and taught in the schools. Tliere-
fore his opportunity for acquiring an English ed-
ucation was reduced to a few winter months, when



352



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



the only studies taught were reading, writing and
arithmetic. After entering upon his business life
in Ohio, he acquired, by persistent application and
study, a proficiency in mental culture fitting him
to discharge creditably the honorable position in
life which he occupied. He was trained to the bus-
iness of a farmer, disposing of his father's mill
products in Baltimore City and elsewhere, and
throughout life displayed those business qualities
whicli assisted his fatiier in his milling enterprise.
He dealt quite extensively in milling and farm
produce and in oil.

Ill 1803-04 Christian Deardorff and Jesse Sling-
luff, his brother-in-law, of Baltimore, Md., with a
colored servant equipped witli tent and camp out-
fit, started on horseback from the Deardorff home
in Adams County, Pa., to visit and inspect Gov-
ernment land in Ohio. After traversing the terri-
tory north as far as Lake Erie ami Cleveland (then
a little hamlet and trading-place), they proceeded
south as far as Chillieothe, a Moravian station,
thence east through Muskingum County, and there
tarried a short time with the Rev. Mr. Hecken wel-
der, a missionary located at Gnadenhutten, a Chris-
tian Indian station. Being very much pleased
with the outlook and the possibilities which the
future had in store for them in this territory, which
had been organized as a state in 1803, they jointly
purchased two thousand one hundred and seventy-
five acres of land from General Morrison, of Lex-
ington, K3^, a part of which was a United States
Military grant, located in Muskingum, now Tus-
carawas, County.

In 1805-06 Christian Deardorff made his second
journey on horseback from his father's home in
Adams County, Pa., to the new state of Ohio, the
trip, which was some four hundred miles in ex-
tent, consuming about eight days. He went by
the way of Pittsburg to Ft. Lawrence, thence
down the Tuscarawas River to the place of his des-
tination. Here he entered upon the large landed
estate purchased by him and Jesse Slingluff, the
work of developing and making it the financial
success, which in later years it proved to be, im-
posing great exposure and responsibility.

Upon his arrival. Christian Deardorff secured the
assistance of workmen, and at once proceeded to



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 45 of 83)