Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 48 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 48 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ty, and worked at gener.il farming until 1834,
at which time he i)uichased a tr.act of forl3' acres.
This place he cultivated for some ten years, when
he sold out and invested the proceeds, in addition
to a certain sum of money he had laid aside, in a
seventy-acre faini, situated in the same township,
and on this continued to reside for fouiteen years.
After selling the same he bought forty acres near



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



New Comerstown, Ohio, wlieic lie lived for five
j'ears. Later lie became a. resident of Glasgow,
Salem Township. Buying a lot, he built a pleasant
home, and there continued to live until called to
his final rest, September 10,1891. His first wife
had died many years previously, August 3, 1852,
aged thirty-three years, one month and twenty-
eight days.

The family of Daniel and Sarah Stonebrook
comprised the following: David, Emanuel, Bar-
bara, John, Mary and Margaret, the latter three de-
ceased. Margaret died soon after her mother, Sep-
tember 8, 1852, aged two months and thirteen days.
Barbara married Daniel Frankboner, of Akron,
this state. The parents were members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and most highly re-
spected by all who had the pleasure of their ac-
quaintance.

After the death of his first wife, Daniel Stone-
brook married Margaret Myers, and by her had
ten children, namely: Jane, the wife of Thomas
Cordrey, of Salem Township; Sarah, now Mrs. J.
Dell, of New Philadelphia; Alice, Mrs. A. Stew-
art, of Blakes Mills; 'William, Jacob, Rena, Mar-
tha, Daniel, Hiram and Emma, the latter three of
whom died in infancy.

David Stonebrook, whose name heads this sketch,
continued to live with his father until he had
reached his majority. October 22, 1861, he chose
for his life companion and helpmate Miss Mar-
tha J. Huff. The lady was born in West Chester,
this county, March 29, 1841, and is one of the
eleven children of James S. and Rosanna (Gromes)
Huff, natives of Ohio. Four sons and one daugh-
ter have been born to Mr. and Mrs. David Stone-
brook. They are named as follows: David B.,
Emanuel, Annie L. (now Mrs. G. K. Wheeland),
IMarsliall and Oliver C.

After his marriage, our suiiject went to house-
keeping with his young wife in Salem Township.
They rented a home and Mr. Stonebrook continued
to work for neiglibors and friends by the day un-
til 18G9, when he purchased a farm of twenty-five
acres two miles north of I'ort Washington, this
county, where he lived for nine years. He opened
a coal mine on this farm, where for three years he
mined coal during the winter and worked for



farmers during the summer. He then purchased
a team and farming implements, and continued
farming until 1886, when he removed to Blakes
Mills and bought his pleasant home. For three
years he served efficiently as School Director, and
two years as a member of the Council of Blakes
Mills, but aside from this he has always declined
oflice-liolding. He and his wife ar¬Ђ members of
the ]\Iethodist Episcopal Church, and politically
he uses his franchise in favor of Democracy.



T7> LMER W. HALL, manager of the Quaker
r^g City Grist Mill of Quaker City, is a prac-
tical and successful miller, and has acquired
his knowledge of the business by the most studious
and searching habits. He is a native of Guernsey
County, and was born July 10, 1860, in Millwood
Township. His parents were John P. and Phebe A.
(Fields) Hall, natives, respectively, of the above
township and Belmont County, this state. The
father's birth occurred in 1813, and he departed
this life when advanced in years, in 1890.

John P. Hall was a farmer by occupation, and
in turn the son of John Hall, a native of North
Carolina, who came to this state as early as 1806,
and made location in Millwood Township, with
whose interests the later generations have been
prominently identified. He prospered in cultivat-
ing the soil, and succeeded in building up a good
home in this then new state.

There were born to John P. and Phebe Hall
five children, of whom Elmer W. was the young-
est. His sisters and brother were: Eliza, now de-
ceased, but formerly the wife of Thomas Griest, a
farmerof Oxford Township; Sarah, who married J
S. Rownd, a resident of Summerfield, this state;
Melissa, living on the old homestead; and Alonzo
E., engaged in farming in Millwood Township.

Our subject's knowledge of books was obtained
in the schools of Quaker City and Spencer Station,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



365



and on completing his education lie returned to
the farm, aiding his father in its cultivation un-
til two years after attaining his majority. About
that time he obtained a position as fireman on the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, following this voca-
tion continuously for a period of three years. At
the expiration of that time, being tired of this
kind of life, and feeling that he was better fitted
for mercantile life, he resigned his position, and in
the spring of 1887 entered a gristmill witli the
intention of becoming thoroughly familiar with
all its details. This he has done, and is now the
competent manager of tlie mills in Quaker City.

Elmer W. Hail and Miss Emma C, daughter of
Isaac and Eliza (Taylor) Grittilh, were married on
Christmas Day, 1883. To them have been born
two children, Clara, who died in infancj', in 1885,
and Blanche, whose birth occurred February 15,
1893. Our subject is a stanch Republican in poli-
tics, and bears well his part in the affairs of the
community. Religiously he is a member of the
Society of Friends, and seeks in his every-day life
to carry out the teachings of that sect. Socially
he is a member of Quaker City Lodge No. 310,
K. of P.



:^)^&z



JOHN D. ROWLAND owns a well improved
farm two miles west of Senecaville, in Rich-
land Townsliip, Guernsey County. Eighty
acres of his place is part of the original home-
stead owned by his father before him. The family
has long been identified with tlie development
and progress of this portion of the state, and has
always borne an enviable reputation for industry,
integrity and upright manner of living.

The paternal grandparents of our subject were
Thomas and Mary Rowland, natives of Pennsylva-
nia. The former was a tailor by trade, but mainly
followed the profession of teaching. Being espec-
ially well versed in mathematics, he prepared tlie
manuscript for an arithmetic, which, however, was
never published; but the material is now in the
possession of his grandson, James .S. The date of



his birth is not accurately known, but he died
about 1879, while his wife, Mary, died February 8,
1867. Of their children, James Percival was born
December 24, 1807; John Baker, August 25, 1809;
Simeon M., July 9, 1811; Hannah, May 24, 1813;
Benjamin V., April 2, 1815; Eliza Jane, May 10,
1817; William B., May 20, 1819; and Mary, June
5, 1821.

Our subject's father, James P., is a native of
Fayette County, Pa., and there grew to manhood.
He succeeded in acquiring more than an ordinary
education, and specimens of his penmanship show
liis skill in that direction. Some time about 1834
he removed to Belmont County, Ohio, with his
family, and two or three years later took up his
abode in this county, becoming the possessor of
land now occupied by his sons John and James.
August 19, 1841, he married Miss Mary Dollison,
a native of Washington County, Pa., where her
birth occurred July 3, 1822. The children of this
union were: Martin V. B., born July 5, 1842; Will-
iam Erastus, February 2, 1844; James S., June 9,
1845; John Dollison, October 9, 1846; and Mary
Elizabeth, February 18, 1848. For many years
the father of these children was a successful school
teacher, and among other places he occupied with
credit was that of Principal of the Senecaville
school. He was an honest, conscientious and up-
right man in all his relations to his fellows. He
was called from this life September 5, 1886, hut
his wife survived him until January 3, 1890. She
was the daughter of John Dollison, who was called
to his final rest in December, 1877. Our subject's
eldest brother, William E., married Eva M.Brown,
February 18, 1884, and is now foreman of a plan-
ing-mill at (Juaker City, this county. James S.,
the next younger brother, enlisted in Company E,
Eighty-eighth Ohio Infantry, and served from
July 5, 1863, until July 3, 1865, being mainly sta-
tioned at Camp Chase, Ohio, but a portion of the
time was employed escorting troops to the front,
and in guarding pnsgners on their way to places
of detention. James S. is unmarried and resides
on the old homestead, where he owns a tract of
forty acres.

In his boyhood days John D. Rowland received
a fair education, and was initiated into the various



366



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



duties pertaining to farm life. He lias always made
his home on the farm where his birth occurred.
March 28, 1867, he was united in marriage with
Sarali Catherine Rose, fifth child of William and
Mary Ann (Thompson) Rose, the latter of whom
is still living, at the advanced age of eighty-three
years. The Thompsons come from one of the old-
est families in this part of Ohio, being descended
from one Robert, who was born in Fayette County,
Pa., in 1780, and his wife, Susan, nee Torrence, to
whom he was married about 1802. Robert Thomp-
son, speaking of the state of the country at the time
when his father, Robert, came to Ohio, says in the
Richland Monitor, March 16, 1886: "They came to
Ohio about 1811, and settled on the farm now
known as the Madison Gregg Farm, only three
acres of it then being cleared. Few settlers were
then on Opossum Creek, and they counted as neigh-
bors all from SarahsviUe to Leatherwood. Paths
through the woods were the only routes of travel,



and our pasture-field included much of what is
now Guernsey and Noble Counties, but it was then
without a fence. Every evening the settler belled
his stock and turned it loose, and in the morning
he started with his gun to hunt it, going perhaps
one or two miles."

To Mr. and Mrs. John D. Rowland were born
two children, namely: Bellzora, wife of Ernest
Sechrist, of Richland Township; and Francis Shan-
non, who is at home. Our subject has ever been
an honest, hardworking man, and is the architect
of his own fortunes. He keeps everything about
his place in a thrifty condition, and gives his per-
sonal supervision to all the departments of farm
work. He is slow to contract and prompt to pay
lixiebt, and his word is considered as good as hia
bond in the community where he is so well known,
and has long been considered one of the promi-
nent citizens.





JUDGE JAMKS W. CAMl'BEI,!.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAnilCAL RECORD,



Judge James Walter Campbell.



JUDGE JAMES WALTER CAMPBELL, a
leading member of the Bar of Guernsey-
County, is one of the most respected citizens
of Cambridge. In 1883 he was elected to
serve as Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and
four years later was re-elected to that position. It
is now over two decades since his admission to the
Bar, and during this time he has built up for him-
self an enjoyable reputation as a jurist of superior
ability, keen perception and accurate judgment.
lie is Vice-President and next to the largest stoclc-
holder in the Old National Bank of Cambridge,
one of the oldest concerns of the kind in the
United States.

Judge Campbell was born in Middletown, Guern-
sey County, September 20, 1847, and is a son of
Dr. James and Sarali (Brown) Campbell, natives
of Belmont County, Ohio, and Alleglieny County,
Pa., respectively. The ancestors of the Campbell
family were Scotch-Irisii. For a numlier of years Dr.
Campbell was engaged in practice in the eastern
part of this county, but died in the prime of life,
on the 25th of February, 1852, at the age of thir-
ty-flve years. His untimely demise was occasioned
by the exercise of his native generosity and kind-
ness of heart. A citizen Of this county had con-
tracted "Panama fever" on the way liome from
California, and the local physicians were afraid to
undertake the case. Dr. Campbell not only ad-
ministered to him the remedies which he deemed
best, but took care of the patient and nursed him
until he himself was smitten with the fever. His
16



wife died December 29, 1882, aged sixty-two years.
Of their children, two are deceased, Orlando dy-
ing in infancy, and Amanda M., wife of James H.
Rosemond, August 18, 1872. William A. is en-
gaged in zinc and lead mining in Joplin, Mo.
Alice V. is the wife of E. J. Williams, a grocer in
Washington, D. C. Charles M. is a retired capi-
talist and journalist of Washington.

After a public-school education, James W. Camp-
bell entered Wittenberg College, at Springfield,
Ohio. He became acqu.ainted with James A. Gar-
field, who induced him to enter Williams College,
in Massachusetts, and he still has in his possession a
letter written by the gre.at statesman, in which he
sets forth his reasons for desiring his friend to at-
tend his favorite college. In 18G9 Mr. Campbell
was graduated from that well known institution,
and at once returned to his native county. He be-
came associated with Captain Farrar in the man-
agement of the Cambridge Neirs, wliich was first
issued September 2, 1869, and the name of which
has since been changed to Ihc JlerakL During the
five years of his journalistic work our subject read
law with Captain Fairar and .loscpli W. White,
and was admitted to the Bar in 1871. He then
entered into partnership with his former preceptor,
Mr. AVhite, who subsequently retired from the
firm, after which Mr. Campbell became a partner
of Fred L. Rosemond.

At the age of fifteen years Mr. Campbell enlisted
in defense of the Stars and Stripes, in Company E,
One Hundred and Tweiity-ninth O'lio InfaiJtrv.



370



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



This was his tiiirri atteinpt>to enlist, and to accom-
plish his purpose lie was obliged to run away from
home. He was first assigned to the Army of the
Cumberland, and later to the Array of the Ten-
nessee, and took part in every engagement from
the time he reached the front until the close of the
war. For bravery he was made Corporal, and with
his comrades was obliged to bear unusual hard-
ships, as the men practically lived for some time
on a diet of parched corn. Mr. Campbell has been
frequently honored with positions on committees
connected with his Alma Mater, and he is also a
Trustee of Muskingum College. His political alle-
giance has been given by him since he reached his
majority to the Republican partj-.

February 13, 1873, Mr. Campbell married Mar-
tha, daughter of Hon. J. W. White, who at one
time was a Member of Congress from this district,
and who was a leading member of the county Bar
(see his sketch elsewhere in this volume). One
son, Joseph W., now a student in the University
of Chicago, is the only child of the Judge and his
estimable wife. They are members of the Method-
ist Episcopal Church.



JOHN RAY FINLEY is one of the worthy
representative pioneers of Guernsej^ County,
and few, if any, inhabitants of this section
have more sincere friends among their ac-
quaintances. He is one of the substantial farmers
of Richland Township, where he owns a portion of
his father's old homestead, situated in township 1,
range 2, one and one-half miles west of Senecaville.
An ancestor of our subject, the Rev. James Fin-
ley, was the first Presbyterian minister to cross the
Alleghany Mountains into the western part of
Pennsylvania. Iherc he ministered to the spirit-
ual needs of the early settlers for many years.
One of his sons, Ebeuezer, born about 1754, lived
in Fayette County, Pu. The latter, who was a pio-
neer in a locality where Indian atrocities were



common, had many adventures with them, and also
suffered many other vicissitudes of frontier life.
On one occasion, he and a companion were at-
tacked by three Indians. One of the redmen pur-
sued Mr. Finley with a tomahawk around a big
tree, after his unfortunate comrade had already
fallen into the hands of the other two Indians.
The latter, noticing that his captors' attention was
momentarily diverted, seized a gun and shot the
pursuing Indian, then wrenched the knife from
the grasp of one of the other Indians and stabbed
him to death. He then, with the assistance of Mr.
Finley, made short work of the remaining Indian.
Ebenezer Finley was married four times, and had
an exceedingly large family, even for those days.
He owned an extensive farm, and was an honored
citizen of the community where he lived.

James, son of Ebenezer Finley, and grandfather
of our subject, was born in 1784, and died in Au-
gust, 1861. In 1805 he married Elizabeth Fulton,
eldest child of John and Rachel Fulton, of Penn-
sylvania. After their marriage the young couple
settled on a part of Mr. Finlcy's father's farm, liv-
ing there for seven years. In 1814 they came to
Ohio, and from that time until his death he was a
resident of Richland. Township. His nine children
were John F.; Eliza, Mrs. John Atwell; Jane, Mrs.
Daniel Riggs; Rachael, Mrs. Wesley Dennisori;
William; James; Mary, Mrs. Robert McCune; Re-
becca, Mrs. John Sawyer; and Ebenezer, the father
of our subject.

Ebenezer Finley was born July 31, 1813, in
Pennsylvania, and with his parents came to Ohio
when quite young. His father had entered four
hundred and eighty acres or more. of land in this
county', and at his death had three hundred and
twenty acres left after giving to his sons, William,
John and Ebenezer, a quarter-section each. The
portion that came to the latter was the original
homestead, the same now occupied by John Ray,
of this sketch. The remainder of Ebenezer Fin-
ley's life was passed on the farm where he located
just after hii marriage, and in addition to agricult-
ural pursuits he made large sums from dealing in
live stock. He often bought large herds, which he
drove to Pittsburg, Philadelphia and Buffalo mar-
kets. At one time be owned Jive Uuadred and



PORTRArr AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



371



forty acres in Iowa and one thousand acres in
Kansas. In early life he was a Whig, but later be-
came a Republican. For years he held the office
of Township Trustee, and was an Indrmary Di-
rector for nine years. A Deacon in the Presbyte-
rian Church, he was well known for his upright-
ness and genial disposition. He was called to his
final rest December 4, 1890, and his wife, who was
a most worthy and lovable woman, died in less
two years afterward. May 27, 1892. They were the
parents of four children: John R.; Levi L., who
was born August 16, 1842; Mary E.,Mrs. M. Mill-
hone, born September 7, 1850, and who died April
11, 1877; and Margaret, Mrs. JohnThoraas, of Iowa,
born May 9, 1854.

John Ray Finley was born Februai-y 26, 1839,
and' received a good common -school education.
In 1860 he desired to see the West, and in com-
pany with several acquaintances from this part of
the state he went to Otturawa, Iowa, and from there
crossed the plains, by way of Plattsmoutli and Ft.
Kearney, to Denver. The trip consumed about
two months, and at that time the routes swarmed
with westbound trains. Though the Indians were
numerous, they did not attack the partj- of which
Mr. Finlcj' was a member. After visiting the
Gregory Mines, and engaging in placer-mining
and prospecting for one season, he returned home
on account of poor health.

February 21, 186 1, occurred the marriage of our
subject and Hester Ann, daughter of William and
Margaret (Dilley) Thompson. Her grandfather,
William Thompson, Sr., born in 1783, in Fayette
County, Pa., moved to Guernsey County, which is
now a part of Noble Count3% Ohio, in 1810, and in
September, 1814, laid out the town of Senecaville
in the woods. He was the first or second mer-
chant in that place, in the early history of which
he was prominent as farmer, merchant, legislator
and judge. The parents of Mrs. Finley were mar-
ried in 1838, and seven children were born to
their union, of whom our subject's wife was sec-
ond, her birth having occurred December 20, 1810.

Of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Fin-
ley, William T., a civil engineer, who since 1886 has
been in the emplo}' of the Nortliwestein Railroad,
and is now an assistant engineer at Boone, Iowa,



graduated as a civil engineer, and afterwards took a
scientific course at Ada College, from which he
graduated in 1885. Mary E. and Charles J.
are both at home; Benjamin K., who graduated
from the classicil department of Ada College in
1893, is now engaged in teaching, and makes his
headquarters under the parental roof; and John
IL, who is also engaged in teaching, is still at
home.

After his marriage our subject removed to a farm
located in the southwest quarter of section 23,
where he built a good house and made many other
substantial improvements. In 1886 he removed to
his present residence, locating on the old home-
stead, and now has some three hundred and twenty
acres of fine farming and pasture land upon which
he has been very successful. In politics he is a
Republican, but does not seek for official distinc-
tion, though he filled the office of Township Trus-
tee for many j'ears, finally declining to serve
longer. His interest in good schools has led him
to serve as School Director for more than twenty
years. A man of intelligence and practical sense,
he also possesses thrift}' and energetic qualities,
which have led to his success. In manner he is
genial, kindly and warm-hearted, and enjoys the
friendship of all who have any dealings with him.



-^^MB^^IM^^-



WILLIAM K. BO LAN, M. D., a well
known and respected practitioner of
Cumberland, Ohio, has been located
here since the spring of 1879, and is a graduate of
the Columbus Medical College. He is thoroughly
a master of his i)rofession and has never ceased his
study and research in the field of the healing art.
On the maternal side the Doctor is of German ori-
gin, while on his father's side he is of Irish descent.
His paternal grandfather emigrated to Loudoun
Count)', Va., in earlj- manhood, and there passed
the remainder of his life. He and his brothers were
slaveholders, the former freeing his slaves, liow-
ever before he died, while the latter, as a rnle,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



held theirs until the emancipation act went into
effect. He left five children: Joseph, "William,
Silas, Stephen and Naomi, all of whom, with the
exception of the last-named, are now deceased.
The daughter was twice married. Her first union
was with Mr. Lingo, whom she bore a large famil}'
of children.

William, father of Dr..Bolan, was born in Lou-
doun County, Va., in February, 1817, and moved
to Ohio in 1858. He settled on a farm in Goshen
Township, Belmont County, where he accumulated
a good estate. He was a member of tlie Baptist
Church and active in all good works. Politically
hfe was a Republican. He was called to his final
rest March 6, 1890, and his loss was sincerelj^
mourned by his many friends. His uncle was the
owner of the farm on which John Wilkes Bootli
was shot. The wife of William Bolan was Miss
Mary Davis; she was born in Jeffei-son County and
is still living-, though now in her seventy-sixth
year. Four of her six children grew to maturity,
namely: Emmet D., of Missouri; Mrs. Amanda
Burns, who lives in this state; Mrs. Anne E. Burns,
of Nebraska; William K.; and John, who died at
the age of seventeen years.

The birth ol Dr. Bolan occurred in Loudoun
County, Va., November 5, 1857. He was reared
to farm duties and received a district-school edu-
cation near the old homestead. Later he entered
Bethany College and Hopedale Normal. At the
age of sixteen he began teaching, and successfully
conducted schools for four terras. He was eighteen
years of age when he began his medical studies
under the instruction of Dr. J. W. Hamilton, of
Columbus, Ohio, and in 1879, after a course of
lectures, he was duly graduated with the degree of
Doctor of Medicine from the Columbus Medical
College.

September 16, 1886, occurred the marriage of
the Doctor and Miss Anna Hall, of Delaware,
Ohio. Her parents were John and Susan Hall, re-
spected residents of Delaware, the former being a
banker. Mrs. Bolan died August 12, 1893, aged
thirty-five years. She was a member of the Meth-
odist Episcopal Church in her early life, but after
her marriage became identified with the Cumber-
land Presbyterian Church, to which the Doctor



still belongs. Their only child, Audley H., was
born in Delaware, Ohio, December 17, 1887, and is
still living with his father.

In personal character Dr. Bolan is a man whom



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 48 of 83)