Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 49 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 49 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to know is to esteem. He is upright and strictly
honorable in all his business relations, and makes
his chief end in life everything which tends to ele-
vate and uplift his fellows. Politically he depos-
its a ballot in favor of the Republican party nom-
inees.

^ # P ' .



THOMAS J. MILLER, M. D., is Mayor of
Kimbolton. For four years he was engaged
in general merchandising, under the firm
name of McConaughey & Miller, but for the last
year under the firm name of Miller & Pollock. He
was obliged to give up the practice of his profes-
sion in 1889 on account of poor health, but was
formerly very successful in his chosen work.

The parents of Dr. Miller were David L. and
Mary C. (Reed) Miller. The father was a native
of Belmont County, Ohio, born November 27, 1809,
to Mathew and Jane (Long) Miller, wjio were na-^
tives of Maryland and Ohio, respectively, and in
1835 removed from Belmont County to the village
of Antrim, in this county. They cleared a farm, on
which they resided, until April, 1860, when they
became residents of Wheeling Township. David
L. Miller died March 31, 1880. His wife, Mary,
was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, January 9,
1819, and died in July, 1894. Her parents, Robert
and Mary (Cromey) Reed, were natives of Ohio
and Ireland, respectively. They took up their
abode in this county in 1841, where Robert Reed
passed the remainder of his life, his wife's death
occurring in Jefferson County. David Miller was
a cooper by trade and taught school for a few years,
but made farming his chief occupation. For a
number of years he was Trustee of Madison Town-
ship, and also served for a number of terms as
School Director.

Dr. T. J. Miller, who was born at Antrim, Madi-
son Township, March 15, 1849, is one of eight chil-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



373



dreD. Five of the number are deceased: Robert
R., Mathew T., Hannah J., Sarah and ■William H.
Jennie I. is unmarried and lives in Cambridge, as
does also her sister, Mary W., a schoolteacher, the
widow of Lawson J. Scott,

Until reaching his majorit}-. Dr. Miller continued
to live with his parents, and then going out to earn
his own livelihood was for five j'ears employed as
a carpenter. He later attended school for two
terms, after whieli, in the fall of 1875, he taugiit one
term in the Bell School, in Liberty Township. Soon
afterward lie took up the study of medicine, and
was graduated February 27, 1878, at the Columbus
Medical College. His first location was at Sunny
Dale, Sedgwick County, Kan. There he remained
until March 9, 1881, whem he removed to Harvey
County, in the same state. After practicing until
September, 1886, he entered the Cincinnati Medi-
cal College, where he took a full course as a post-
graduate. The following spring he went to To-
peka, Kan., with the intention of practicing medi-
cine, but was laid low with a severe attack of fever.
As soon as convalescent he returned to Cambridge
and continued in practice here for two years, at the
end of which time he was again prostrated with
the fever which had formerly afflicted liim,and he
was compelled to give up his profession.

December 9, 1889, Dr. Miller, in partnership
with W. C. McConaughey, purchased the stock of
T. S. Luccock. They continued in business until
March 1, 1894, when the interests of our subject's
partner were purchased by Mrs. Florence Pollock.
The Doctor was a member and Secretary of the
Board of Health of Cambridge, Ohio. While liv-
ing in Sedgwick City, Kan., he was Treasurer of
the county for one year, and in Grant Township
also served in the same capacity. After coming to
Kimbolton he filled the unexpired term of T. W.
Berry as Treasurer, and was then elected to the posi-
tion. In the spring of 1893 he was chosen by his fel-
low-citizens to serve as Mayor. In politics he is
an influential man in the ranks of the Republican
partj'.

December 13, 1882, Dr. Miller was united in
marriage with Mary M. Anderson, who was borii
near this village, February 7, 1858, and is a daugh-
ter of Dr. William and Eliza (McMiUen) An-



derson. The former was born in 1812, in Harrison
County, Ohio, and died in April, 1882. His wife
was born in tliis county, and is a daughter of Mary
and John McMillen, Pennsylvanians. Mis. Miller
is one of six children, tlie others being as follows:
William, deceased; Gilbert, a farmer of Johnson
County, Kan.; Katie, deceased; Florence M., widow
of L. W. Pollock, and a resident of Kimbolton: and
Annie E., who is unmarried and lives at the home
of Dr. Miller. To our subject and wife have
been born two daughters, namely, Lois and Maiy.
The familj' are members of the United Presb^-terian
Church, and enjoy the friendship and esteem of all
who have the pleasure of their acquaintance.



^^^^il-^i-i^ii^^i^^^



/^ ARRET MATTHEWS. Among those to
^^JJf whom Guernsey Count}^ owes a debt of
gratitude for their share in the develop-
ment of her agricultural resources and in the vari-
ous affairs througli which the interests of society
are advanced, the name of Garret Matthews should
not be passed unnoted. He is at present living in
Salem, whither he removed when retiring from
farm work.

Mr. Matthews, who is a native of this county,
was born on the 5th of January, 1820, in Antrim.
His parents were Jacob and Elizabeth (Smith) Mat-
thews, natives of Pennsylvania, who emigrated to
this county about the year 1810, and spent the re-
mainder of their lives in farm pursuits. The fa-
ther was the son of Garret and Margery Matthews,
also born in the Keystone State, where the former's
death occurred at the remarkable age of ninety-
eight years. The father of our subject w.as sev-
entj'-eight at the time of his decease, in 1874.

Mrs. Elizabeth Matthews was the daughter of
John Smith and wife, who were born in Pennsyl-
vania, and passed their entire lives there. This lady
died in 1878, aged seventy-five 3-ears. She was
the mother of a family of eight children, of whom
the eldest son, William, is engaged in business in



374



PORTRAIT AND BIQGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Missouri; Garret was the secoud-boin; Margaret
is the widow of Joliu Bulges, and lives in this
county; Hugh is farming in this locality; Pbebe

A. is deceased; Cinderella is the wife of George
McFee, a resident of this county; and Zephaniah

B. is deceased.

Garret Matthews began earning his own living
at the age of eighteen years by operating a thresh-
ing-TDachine, which lie had purchased in partner-
ship with another gentleman. This he conveyed
to the farms of those wanting work done during
the summer, and for six years reaped a good in-
come from this kind of worli, in partnership with
Samuel Virtue. Then, having reason to sever the
connection, young Matthews became connected
with John Polock, and for three years the new
firm made money.

About this time our subject was married, his
union with Miss Rebecca C. Linn being solemnized
in 1840. She was born in this county, in March,
1824, and was the daughter of Jolin and Margaret
(McCullough) Linn. Her father, who was a na-
tive of Pennsylvania, died in 1878, aged three-
score years and ten. His parents were Adam and
Jane Linn, born in Maryland, where they lived
until 1812, the year of their advent into Guern-
sey County. Here the father purchased a farm,
and at the same time was the proprietor of a tav-
ern, from which he derived a gooil income. The
mother of Mrs. Matthews died in 1879, being
then one year older than her husband. Of their
family of eleven children, all are deceased, with
the exception of Rebecca, Andrew F., Adam and
John, Jr. The others bore the respective names of
Annie, Eliza, Peggy, Samuel, Nancy, Mary and
Sallie. The father of this family was a farmer by
occupation and a blacksmith by trade, which com-
bined businesses he followed during his activeyears.

By his union with Miss Linn, our subject became
the father of the following children: KHz.t A., de-
ceased; William U., living in Liberty Township;
John, also of the above locality; Margaret, wife
of J. M. C. Gardner, making her home in Wiscon-
sin; Adam M., deceased; Garret A., living in Port
Washington, Tuscarawas County, Ohio; and Al-
vanus M., carrying on farm pursuits in Liberty
Township.



Soon after his marriage our subject rented a
farm, upon which he lived a twelvemonth, be-
ing then so situated that he could purchase a tract
of eighty acres. This he called his home for the
following three years, when we find him located
on the estate which lie still owns. This now in-
cludes but sixty-seven acres, Mr. Mattliews having
sold one hundred and twenty-three acres on ac-
count of not being able to cultivate it as he would
like, and as he was prevented from doing by old
age. This estate is one of the model ones of the
county, and from its rental Mr. Matthews is de-
riving a good income.

During early life our subject learned the trade
of a stonemason, which he followed during the
winter season, when it was necessary to add to
his income, and later he became well versed in the
art of shoemaking. He is purely and truly a self-
made man, and energy and perseverance are no-
where better illustrated than in his career, as he
began life with only the ability with which na-
ture endowed him, and at the present time is a
well known and highly respected citizen of Salem.
In politics Mr. Matthews was a Democrat until the
last election, when he had reason to change his
views and voted the Prohibition ticket, and it is
his intention to uphold the principles of that party.
for the remainder of his life. He is a member of
the United Presbyterian Church, in the work of
which he takes an active part.



JUDGE WILLIAM CHAMBERS, one of the
most prominent and influential citizens of
Guernsey County, is an official who is mak-
ing an excellent record. He is held In high
esteem by the Bar and public as a man fair and
impartial in all his rulings and possessing unswer-
ving Integrity and lionesty of purpose.

Judge Chambers was born in Calvert County,
Md., March 11, 1842, and is the son of William
and Matilda (Stalllngs) Cliambers, also natives of



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



that state, where the father during his later years
followed farm pursuits. In early life lie had hcen
a boatman on Chesapeake Bay, but not finding
this a profitable or congenial occupation, aban-
doned it after some time and began cultivating
the soil of his native state. The family was one
of prominence in Maryland, and was connected
with the early history of that state.

To William Chambers and his wife were born
seven children, of whom six are living at the pres-
ent time. Mary Jane is the wife of Michael II.
Spence, and resides in Noble County, this state.
Our subject is next in order of birth. Henry is
engaged in agricultural pursuits in Union Coun-
ty, Ore. Eliza became the wife of Madison Lam-
ley, and resides in Missouri. Susan V. Moorehead
makes her home in West Virginia; and Lewis is
farming in Woodford County, 111. The mother of
this family died in Maryland, April 28, 1853. The
father came with his family that year to Ohio,
and, locating in Monroe County, was engaged in
the tobacco business until the year of his decease,
1866, when threescore and ten years old. He had
been twice married, his first wife, who bore the
maiden name of Christina Birckhead, and was a
native of Maryland, dying in 1837. The ances-
tors of our subject on his mother's side were also
well known in tlie history of Maryland, of which
state they were residents for many generations.

The subject of tliis sketch attended the public
schools of his native county and of Monroe Coun-
ty, this state, until 1860, when he journeyed to
Maryland and became a student in West River
Academy. He returned to Ohio in 1863. and
taught school until 1869. It had been his ambi-
tion, however, since early boyhood to lead a pro-
fessional life, and during the years in which he
was teaching he kept up his legal studies and was
admitted to practice at the Bar of Nuble County in
1869. Two years later he located at Caldwell for
the practice of liis profession, and the following-
year had the honor of being elected the first Mayor
of the city. This position he held for a term of
four years, and on its expiration was elected Pros-
ecuting Attorney, serving from January, 1876, to
January 1, 1878. His great popularity- is also in-
dicated by the fact that he was elected Judge of



the Court of Common Pleas in April, 1892, which
position he still holds. The energy of his char.ac-
tcr and the force of purpose inherent in his nature
are a|iparcnt at a glance. He sees at once the
dilHcult point in any question, and as readily
sees the means that must be adopted to carry it.
Stanch in principle, clear in perception, and de-
cided in character, he deserves the good things
which have come to him and the high character
for probity which years of intimate business and
social acquaintance have brought him.

Judge Chambers w.as married, October 25, 1870,
to Miss Martha Phillips, daughter of Rev. Jeremiah
Phillips, of Noble Count}-. To them have been
born four children, Alfred P., Delia, Henry B. and
Ada. The elder son is attending the Dental Col-
lege of Cincinnati. In politics the Judge is a
thorough Republican and takes great delight in
the success of the party.

Rev. Jeremiah Phillips, father of Mrs. Cham-
bers, was born in Saratoga, N. Y., Ma}- 3, 1 799, and
departed this life at Dexter City, this state, July
5, 1888. In 1823 he moved with his parents to
Crawford County, Pa., and August 27, 1826, was
converted to the faith of the Methodist Episcopal
Cliurch, and, although his parents were Friends in
religious belief, he became an active and elficient
ollicer in the church of his choice. He was given
a license to preach in 1830, and the same year was
admitted to the Pittsliuig Conference, being sta-
tioned at Connelsville, Pa., with thirty-three ap-
pointments. In order to fill the pulpit at these
various places he was compelled to ride two hun-
dred and eighty miles every eight weeks. He was
ordained, a Deacon in 1832, and Elder two years
later, and although supiMaiinuated in 18G4 con-
tinued to preach for ten years thereafter.

Mrs. Chambers' mother was in maidenhood Miss
Arah Couitne}', a native of Monongahela County,
Pa. The ceremony which united her to Rev. Mr.
Phillips w.as performed May 8, 183 1. Jlrs. Phillips
lived until 1884, when, October 14 of that year,
she passed away. Her husband was an associate
of John Brown of Ossawatomie fame. He alw.ays
called things by their right name, and fearlessly
condemned sin in all its forii:s. He w.as a strong
Abolitionist and a man of deep piety, who, loving



376



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



all, W.1S loved in turn by everyone who knew him.
He died July 5, 1888, after a long and useful life.
The above facts relating to Rev. Mr. Phillips were
gleaned from the proceedings of the Eastern Ohio
Methodist Episcopal Conference of 1888.



i^+^[



VALENTINE and DAVID GIBLER. The
history of the-Gibler family dates back to
probably an earlier period in the settlement
of Lawrence Township than that of any other
family represen ted here. Tracing the ancestry back
several generations from the subjects of this nar-
rative, we find that their maternal great-grandfa-
ther Kineliart was a member of a family of whom
all buthimself were murdered by the Indians. The
home in Pennsylvania was surrounded by the sav-
ages, and parents, brothers and sisters were brutally
massacred, only a boy of seven years escaped, fled
and jumped into a hole left by an upturned tree.
There he ran into the arms of an old Indian chief,
secreted to watch for anyone attempting to escape.
He was made a prisoner, and adopted by Ins captor,
whom he followed in his hunting and fishing ex-
peditions. On one occasion, while skinning a deer,
lie was shot through the right hand by an Indian
who was jealous of his influence with the chief.
The wound was dressed with herbs and soon healed.
After a captivity of seven years he was released.
He later served as a soldier, and spent some time at
Ft. Lawrence, which was located on tiie site of liie
homestead of Henry Gibler in later years.

Valentine and David Gibler are the sons of Hen-
ry and Mary (Rinehart) Gibler. Their father, who
was born in 1702, was a son of Gabriel Gibler, and
a farmer by occupation, who for years tilled the
soil of Bedford County, Pa. About 1812 Henry
came to the site of what is now Waynesburg, Stark
County, Ohio, where he stopped with Peter Sha-
fer, an uncle of the lady he afterward married. The
trip to Ohio and back home was made on foot
through the unbroken forest. Some years later he
returned to Stark County, and about 1819 settled



in Waynesburg. Thence, in April, 1825, he re-
moved to Tuscarawas County and made a settle-
ment on the farm now occupied by our subject.

A little below six feet in height and weighing
one hundred and ninety pounds, Henry Gibler was
noted as the most powerful man in the whole Tus-
carawas Valley. A man of more than ordinary ed-
ucation, he was a fluent linguist and spoke Eng-
lish and German with equal accuracy. For years
after he settled in the woods of Lawrence Town-
ship, game abounded in great quantities. He was.
not a trapper, but shot game for his own use.
AVolves were very plentiful and followed him as he
made his way through the woods, and sometimes
boldly stuck their noses into the cracks between
the poles of the log cabin he first erected. They
were very destructive to sheep, which they would
take from pens five or six rails in height and
carry away. In passing through the forest Mr.
Gibler carried an axe for protection. He aided in
building the Ohio Canal, on which James A. Gar-
field afterward was employed as a canal-boat driv-
er. In 1838 he built a house, that constitutes a
part of the present homestead dwelling. The barn
which he erected in 1830 is still standing.

Tlie marriage of Mr. Gibler united him with
Mary, daughter of Valentine and Mary (Bauman)
Rinehart, natives of Pennsylvania, who settled in
Stark County in 1809. Mrs. Gibler was born in
1802, and passed from earth October 23, 1873. Of
their children we note the following: John, who
was born October 8, 1824, married Magdalene
Yunkman, and settled on the northern part of the
old homestead; Aaron died in 1837, at the age of,
eleven years; Maria, born in 1830, became the wife
of Daniel Tomer; Valentine was born July 23,
1833, David April 27, 1836, and Lydia A. April
19, 1840.

Starting in life with a capital of but twenty-five
cents, Henry Gibler through industrious efforts ac-
cumulated a competence. On beginning to keep
house, he made the majority of the articles of furni-
ture by hand., He constructed a small sled of sap-
lings and on it hauled wheat over the bare ground
to Canton, where a bushel of grain was exchanged
for a pound of coffee, and the balance of the load
traded for a little calico at fifty cents per yard.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



377



His first tract of land, which cost $150, consist-
ed of one hundred acres, to which he added as op-
portunity afforded, until at the time of his demise
he owned three hundred and eighty-seven acres in
a body, one and one-fourth miles southwest of Bol-
ivar, six hundred acres in Greene County, Iowa,
and two hundred and fifty acres in Lake County,
Ind. He and his wife spent their lives on the Law-
rence Township homestead, where he died August
5, 1859, and she October 23, 1873. Both were de-
voted members of the German Lutheran Church,
and in their honored lives exemplified the sincer-
ity of their religious belief. The worthy couple
were beloved by their neighbors and esteemed by
all with whom they had acquaintance. Though
they have passed away, their deeds live in honored
remembrance, and the influence of their Christian
characters will be for the ennobling of their pos-
terity.

After the death of their father Valentine and
David took the homestead of three hundred and
eighty-seven acres, and now own the site of old Ft.
Lawrence, where their grandfather was a soldier
more than a century ago. Their farm is one of
the best in the county, improved with good build-
ings and supplied with modern agricultural ma-
chinery. Adjoining tlicir estate on the south lies
the old Rutter Farm, owned and cultivated by their
sister Lydia, who since purchasing it in 1889 has
placed it umier a high state of cultivation. She is
an estimable lady, and shares with her brothers in
the esteem of neighbors and friends. In religious
belief Valentine is identified with the German Lutli-
eran Church, and politically he is a Republican, to
which party Darid also belongs. The latter, soci-
ally, is connected with the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows.



E^"



CJ^ UGUSTUS MAX. One of the prominent
y — \ German-American citizens of Quaker Cit^-,
is the gentleman whose biogiapliy it now
becomes our duty and pleasure to write. He is at
present engaged in the manufacture of a fine grade
of cigars, which he retails at prices which at once



make his store popular. He lias resided in this city
since March, 1893, but in this time he lias built up
a fine trade, and is numbered among the well-to-do
business men of the place.

Mr. Max is a native of Austria, having been
born in that country July 13, 1848. His parents
were George and Elizabeth (Deirl) Max, also na-
tives of Austria. There the father worked in
foundries, and was also employed in erecting cu-
polas on many of the large buildings in the cities.
Our subject was four years old wh^n his parents
undertook the journey to America, leaving their
native home May 2, 1852, and arriving in Balti-
more August 15, following. From Baltimore the
family were conveyed to Pittsburg, where they
made their home for a number of years. There Au-
gustus was sent to the German Catholic schools, at-
tending for a year and nine months, when his school
days were ended. He then began to make his own
way in the world, and his fatlier d.ying soon after-
ward, be was compelled to support his mother and
sister, who were left with limited means. At the
age of eleven years he began working in a factory
in Pittsburg, his duty being to strip the tobacco
from the stem. Thinking this a good business, he
commenced at the bottom and worked Ins way up
in all departments, until he was thoroughly famil-
iar with the manufacture of cigars.

In 1871 Mr. Max came to Ohio and located in
Barnesville, where he had charge of a factory for
a period of eight years. Being offered at the end
of th.at time inducements to move to Columbus,
he changed his place of residence, and in that city
was given charge of Pat Sweeney's shop for one
year. In 1880 he returned to Barnesville, and re-
mained there until Apiil, 1881, engaged in work-
ing at his trade. That year and month he came
to Quaker City, where, until 1885, he had a super-
intendency of a factory. About that time he
formed a partnership with his brothers in the cigar
business, which connection existed until 1892,
when Augustus disposed of his interest in the bus-
ness and moved to New Madison. His stay there
was of short duration, and his next move found
him in Newark, where he started in the business
under the name of Max Bros. They continued to
iiianiifacture cigars in that city until March of the



378



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



following year, when our subject came again to
Quaker City, and now carries on his business alone.
November 28, 1872, Mr. Max was married to
Mary E., daughter of Amos and Didema Mayhew,
and to them have been born nine children: Henry;
Lillie M., now the wife of Otto Heinbecl-*



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 49 of 83)