Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 57 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 57 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Academy, of Lake County, Ohio. Later he became
a student in the academy at Hagerstown, Md.
By a well selected course of reading and private
study, he has become thoroughly abreast with the
times, and is a gentleman of such intelligence and
good conversational powers that it is a pleasure
to pass time in his company. In politics he is affil-
iated with the Republican party, but has never
been prevailed upon to hold office. To the high-
est degree both himself and amiable wife possess
the confidence and good-will of the entire com-
munity in which they are so well and favorably
known.

It is fitting that special mention be made of the
youngest son of our subject, namely, Henry But-
ler Croxton, who is a young man of exceptional
attainments and business ability. He was born in
New Philadelphia, October 21, 1872, and was edu-
cated at the Union School of that place. Always
very industrious and energetic, he has worked his
way upward with remarkable celerity, and manages
his varied interests as few persons of his years
could do. In addition to the lumber business
which he carries on at Odbert, he is manager of



422



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



the homestead where he resides and which belongs
to his mother. He is also serving as receiver for the
Odbert Coal Mine Company, and is especially in-
terested in several other coal mines. He has in-
vested money from time to time in lands and owns
a fine two-hundred acre farm in Oxford Township,
and another comprising one hundred acres in York
Township.



JOHN S. KOLLAR. Among those cultivating
a portion of the soil of Fairfield Township
to good advantage may be mentioned our
subject, who is living on and managing the
old homestead. He is classed among the j'oung
and progressive agriculturists of this seclion, aim-
ing in every detail of his work to keep abreast of
the times in all that pertains to his occupation.
He is a prominent and well respected member of
the community.

Mr. Kollar was born on section 9, of the above
township, September 12, 1850. His parents are
Joseph and Phoebe (Slutts) Kollar. His paternal
great-grandfather came to this country from Ger-
many, and located in York County, Pa., where he
engaged in farm pursuits. There he reared a
family of four sons, three of whom married and
became heads of families. George, the grand-
father, was the eldest; John and Jacob went South,
one locating in North, and the otiier in South,
Carolina. They were Lutherans in religion.

Grandfather George Kollar was a native of
York County, Pa., and was a lad of ten years wlien
the war for independence broke out. His father
dying when he was quite young, he was bound out
to attend an officer in the Revolutionary War.
After the cessation of hostilities, and when per-
mitted to look out for himself, he learned the
trade of shoemaking, which he followed until 1802,
the year he came to Jefierson County, Ohio, and
settled on Dawsey's Flats. Here he engaged in



farm pursuits, and met with such good results that
five years later he entered the three hundred and
twenty acres comprised in the old homestead on
section 9. The trip to this state was made with a
one-horse wagon, and the familj' was obliged to
stop at night bj' the wayside, and make themselves
as comfortable as it was possible to be in a wild
region, infested with animals and Indians.

Three years after entering his land from the
Government, Grandfather Kollar moved on the
same, and began the arduous work of its improve-
ment. He made this place his home until his de-
cease, in August, 1849, at the age of eight3'-four
years. He was an influential man in his neighbor-
hood, and among the Indians he was greatly hon-
ored. He was active in church work, and one of
the founders of the Lutheran society in his com-
munity. In political affairs he voted with the
Whig party. His wife, who was in maidenhood
Susanna Koontz, was also a native of the Keystone
State, and of German descent. Her father after
coming to America served as a soldier in the War
of 1812, on the side of the Colonists. She became
the mother of ten children, nine of whom grew to
mature years. Jacob served as a substitute in the
War of 1812; Adam was drafted into the service,
and was mustered out at the close Of the conflict
with the title of Captain; Margaret married Tobias
Haverstock, and made her home in Wayne Coun-
ty, this state; George died in Williams County,
Ohio; Catherine married John Slutts, who is now
deceased; Andrew died in Wayiie County, where
he owned a large farm; Michael is also deceased;
Joseph, the father of our subject, was the next-
born; David is a resident of Williams County, this
state; and Susan is the widow of Lewis Hixon, and
lives near Odessa, Mo. The grandmother died
January 22, 1858, at the age of eighty-six years.
She was a devoted member of the Lutheran Church,
and active in all good works in her neighborhood.

Joseph Kollar was born near Steubenville, this
state, November 5, 1809. The following year he
was brought by his parents to this county, which
has been his home ever since. He received his
education in the primitive log schoolhouse, con-
ducted on the subscription plan. The building
was built of logs and furnished in the rudest man-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



423



ner, and young Joseph Lad to make liis own seat
and desk. On attaining his majority, he began
life for himself, his first work being in making
rails, for which he received twenty-five cents per
hundred, and he was often enabled to earn twice
that amount of money in one day, which was con-
sidered good wages for those times. After being
thus employed for a time liis failier gave him a
horse, which our subject fitted out with bridle and
saddle. In 1831 he sold his possessions for *75,
and with the money made a payment on one hun-
dred and sixty-one acres of land in Dover Town-
ship. He located on this in 1833, erecting a shanty
of round logs. This served the purpose for which
it was intended until the fall of that year, when
it was replaced with a more comfortable structure,
with puncheon floor and door made of clapboards.

In 1837 Joseph Kollar sold out this purchase
on account of having disagreeable and dishon-
est neighbors, and, going to Williams County,
entered three hundred and twenty acres from the
Government. A short time thereafter he sold his
land, and took charge of a farm for Peter Will-
iams in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. The following
year he purchased one hundred and four acres of
improved property on Stony Creek, for whicii he
paid 12,000. He made this place liis home for
nine years, when he returned to the old homestead,
and cared for his parents during the remainder of
their lives. After their decease he purchased the
home place from the other heirs. It consisted of
three hundred and sixteen acres, forty of which he
has since sold to a coal company. For several
years Mr. Kollar was occupied in buying cattle
and driving them to York County, Pa., where he
disposed of them. He has been very successful in
life, and is now living retired, leaving the super-
vision of his fine and valuable farm to his son,
our subject.

Always active in all measures calculated to be
of benefit to his communit}', Joseph Kollar was
elected Justice of the Peace, holding that responsi-
ble office for six years. He was also County Com-
missioner for the same length of time, and in every
position disciiarged the duties thereof in a most
satisfactory and credible manner. He was first a
Whig and later a Republican in politics, and when



before the public as a candidate always ran ahead
of his ticket.

The parents of our subject were married Septem-
ber 25, 1831. Mrs. Kollar was born in Fairfield
Township, this county, December 12, 1813, and
was the daughter of William and Deborah (Gor-
dan) Slutts, natives of Reading, Pa. Her father
came to Fairfield Township in 1812. He reared
three sons, .John, Samuel and Theopolis, and five
daughters, Phoebe, Jane, Deborah, Marj- and La-
vina.

To Joseph Kollar and his estimable wife there
were born eight children, of whom four lived to
mature years. Deborah became the wife of Will-
iam Baker, of Allen County, this slate. George
married and moved to Paulding Count}', where
he enlisted in the Union arm}', and was com-
missioned a Captain in the one hundred days'
service. He died in Hospital No. 8 at Bermuda
Hundred, near Richmond, Va. Susan, the second
daughter, became the wife of Josiah Davy, of Indi-
anapolis, Ind. .John S., of this sketch, was the
youngest of those who lived. The deceased mem-
bers of the family were Jacob, William, Theopolis
and Margaret. The mother of these children de-
parted tiiis life February 14, 1851. She was an
active member of the Protestant Methodist Church,
while her husband had been for many years con-
nected with the Methodist Episcopal denomination.
The latter married, November 17, 1856, Pleaza
Siiiddler, born in Washington County, Pa. She
was the daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Battey)
Shiddler. Her father was a farmer, who went
to Stark County, Ohio, in 1833, and lived there
during the rest of his life. He reared a family of
four sons and four daughters, all of whom married
and had sons and daughters of their own. Henry
Siiiddler was the son of John, a native of Marj -
land, who later removed to Pennsylvania, and
there died. He was a member of the German Bap-
tist Church. His wife, prior to her marriage, was
Catherine Yeeter, also a native of Mainland, who
departed this life in Stark County, Ohio.

The original of this sketch was reared on his
fatiier's farm and obtained his education first in
the common and later in the high schools. He re-
mained under the parental roof until his marriage,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



wheu he moved to Ashland County. This was in
1883. There he purchased a tract of one hundred
acres, which he cultivated for six years with good
results. His parents being quite aged, lie thought
it his duty to remain with them during the rest of
their lives, and, returning to the home place, as-
sumed its management. He is a Republican in
politics, and on that ticket was elected Justice of
the Peace. He is a charter member of the Grange,
in the workings of which he is prominent and
greatly interested.

John S. Kollar was married, February 18, 1875,
to Allie M., daughter of George and Anna (Hob-
eon) Miner, farmers by occupation, and members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They were
natives of this state. The father died in February,
1890, at the age of seventy-six. His widow sur-
vives, and makes her home with J. W. Miner. She
became the mother of one son and six daughters,
all of whom were given good educations.

To our subject and his wife there have been born
two children, Minnie E. and Joseph Blaine. Tliey
are active members of the Methodist Church, and
in the congregation near their home the former
has been Steward and Deacon. Mr. Kollar devotes
his time and attention to breeding Shorthorn cat-
tle and Poland-China hogs, French sheep and
Morgan horses. Out of seven entries in the horse
department at the county fair in 1894, he took
five first and two second premiums.



JAMES McMAHON, wiiose biography we' take
pleasure in writing, is one of those worthy
young men who take no active part in pub-
lic life, but pursue the even tenor of tiieir
way in their chosen vocation, accumulating by
thrift, energy and business ability not only the
necessities of life, but the wherewithal to indulge
in luxuries, siiould they feel so inclined.

Mr. McMahon is a native of Pennsylvania, and
was born in White Haven, November 15, 1864.
His parents were Daniel and Bridget (McHale) Mc-
Mahon, the former of whom was a native of



County Clare, Ireland, and the lattet of County
Mayo, Ireland. They reared a family of seven
children, of whom Patrick, the eldest, is living in
Colorado; Mar.y J. married Patrick J. Hannon,and
makes her home in Cambridge; Anthony is de-
ceased, as are also Thomas, Delia and Ella. Our
subject was the youngest but one of the household.

Daniel McMahon resided for some time in Goulds-
boro, Pa., which was named in honor of the mill-
ionaire, by whom he was employed in the tanner-
ies. Everything went on smoothly for a time,
but one of the stockholders finally became so
hard a taskmaster that trouble ensued,jthe employ-
es being banded against the officials of the com-
pany. Not being desirous of working any longer
in that place, Mr. McMahon went to Wilkes Barre,
and after a stay of a short time removed to White
Haven, where our subject was born. He had no
trouble in obtaining a position in the tanneries
there and gave satisfaction to all concerned until
leaving to come to this state. He at once located
at Niles, and was the incumbent of the responsible
position of agent and baggagemaster of tiie Atlan-
tic & Great Western Railway until his decease.

Tiie original of this sketch was given only very
limited advantages for gaining an education, as
when quite young in life he began to make his
own living. He has, however, been systematic in
his course of reading, and is thoroughly informed
upon all topics of general interest. In 1873, when
a lad of nine years, he went to Wilkes Barre, Pa.,
where he attended school until 1877. At that
time he began working in the railroad shops, and
continued until 1888, in which year we find him
living in New Philadelphia. There he employed
his time in the rolling-mill at that place, and
April 17, 1890, made his advent into Cambridge
and obtained a position with the Cambridge Iron
and Steel Company, where he is still working.

James McMahon was married, April 8, 1891, to
Miss Laura B. Turner, the daughter of Milton and
Henrietta (Urban) Turner, natives, respectively, of
Guernsey Cbunty and Germany. She was born
June 4, 1872, in Georgetown, near Cambridge, and
was given a good education in the graded schools
of her native place.

In religious affairs our subject is a devout mem-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD,



425



ber of the Catholic Church, while his wife is a
member of the Methodist Church. In politics he
always casts a ballot in favor of Republican candi-
dates. Socially he is a Mason of high standing, a
member of Wilkes Barre (Pa.) Lodge No. 174,
K. of P., and a member of the Association of Amal-
gamated Iron and Steel Workers, of Cambridge.



FREDERICK HARTLINE is one of the
shrewdest and most intelligent agricultur-
ists of Franklin Township, Tuscarawas
County, as is shown by the success which has at-
tended liis efforts. On the deatii of his father, Pe-
ter Hartline, which occurred when he was quite
young, our subject was taken into the home of his
maternal uncle, Fred C. Pfersich, who was ap-
pointed liis guardian. This gentleman, realizing
the advantage to be gained by an education, so ar-
ranged affairs that he was permitted to attend
school longer than most of the farmer boys of that
period. Being desirous of gaining a thorough
knowledge of men and things, young Hartline
made tiie best of his opportunities, and is to-d.iy
well read on all subjects of interest and impor-
tance.

Peter Hartline was born in Germany, on the
banks of the River Rhine. About 1804 he thought
to better his condition, and, emigrating to the
United Slates, made his way at once to this stale
and located in Tuscarawas County, where he en-
gaged in farming to good advantage. He was one
of the heroes of tiie War of 1812, serving his coun-
try faithfully and well during those trying times.
The first land which he purchased in the county
was a fifty -acre tract formerly owned by Conrad
Reghartand Jacob Good. This was located on the
banks of the Muskingum (now Tuscarawas) River,
near Bolivar, and came into his possession in 1815.
In 1835 or 1836 he sold his real estate near Bolt-'
var and bought three hundred and ten acres of
land on Sugar Creek, near Strasburg, seven miles



west of Bolivar, where he moved April 1, 1836.
At the time of his death he was the possessor of
five hundred and twenty-five acres of land. He
departed tliis life in Marcli, 1837, greatly mourned
by all who knew hira.

The father of our subject was twice married, his
first union being with Miss Christena Palmer,
April 6, 1817. To this marriage were born two
children, Joseph and Clarissa, the former January
5, 1818, and Clarissa on the 26th of January', 1820.
The second wife of Peter Hartline, who was the
mother of our subject, in company with her sister
Mary emigrated from the kingdom of Wurtemberg,
Marbach, Germany, to the United States and to
Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in tlie spring of 1825.
The trip was made in a sailing-vessel, and they
were seventy days on the ocean, as the vessel
drifted out of its course and came near being ship-
wrecked upon a rock. The two sisters finally
landed in Philadelphia some time in Ma.y, where
they were met by their brother, Frederick C.
Pfersich, who had been here for some ten years.
He was engaged in a merchandising business near
llie mouth of Sandy Creek, on the banks of tlie
Muskingum (Tuscarawas) River, at a place called
Calcutta, his store being the first in the neiglibor-
hood far and near. He rode from here on horse-
back to the city of Piiiladelpliia to meet his two
sisters, and the three made the journey back here
with one horse between them. July 3, 1827, Re-
gina Pfersich was united in marriage with Peter
Hartline by John Machen, a Justice of the Peace,
and they became the parents of our subject.

To the marriage of Peter and Regina Hartline
were born three children. Of their two daughters,
Caroline, who was born October 23, 1833, is now
deceased. She married George Gnag}-, by whom
slie had seven children, two now living. Margaret,
the other daughter, died when five years old. The
original of this sketch, the only son of the second
marriage, was born May 7, 1828, and after leaving
the household of his uncle, who died in Septem-
ber or October, 1841, he made his home witli liis
mother until maturity. In 1852, the four heirs to
the father's property, Frederick, Joseph, Clarissa
and Caroline, divided the real estate among them,
and Frederick purchased an interest in the es-



426



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



tate, which he farmed on his own account. His
possessions then amounted to one liundred and
fifty-five acres of valuable land, to which he has
since added from time to time, until he is now the
possessor of one of the finest farms in the county.
Tlie property included five hundred and forty
acres until lately, when he sold a one-half interest
in one hundred and sixty-two acres to his son Win-
field. The farm is thoroughly cultivated and yields
its owner a handsome income.

Mr. Hartline was married, February 11, 1849, to
Miss Lovina Fashbaugh, daughter of J.acob and
Catherine (Mock) Fashbaugh. Both grandparents
of this lady were among the very earliest settlers
of this section, and were highly respected and
prominent people of Lawrence Township.

The union of our subject and wife resulted in
the birth of nine children, all of whom are living
with one exception. William H., the eldest, mar-
ried Elizabeth, daughter of Jonathan Gerber, of
this township. On her decease sheleft a daughter,
also bearing the name of Elizabeth, who has been
an inmate of our subject's family since infancy.
This son married for his second wife Phebe Pink-
stock, and to them has been given a family of four
children, viz.: Victor, Porter, Rua and Waller.
The family resides at Hartline's Mills, on Sugar
Creek. The second member of our subject's
household was Mary Alice, now deceased. She
married Jonas Snyder, and on her death left three
living children, Maximilian, Webster and Lillie,
William Allen and Lulu having died previous to
their mother's dcatli. Win field Hartline was the
second son, and for his history the reader is refer-
red to his sketch, found elsewhere in this volume,
Sarah Jane married Daniel W. Brenison, of Tusca-
rawas County, and they are now residents of Can-
ton, this stale, and their children bear the respect-
ive names of Delia, Lotta, Roscoe and Lovie. John
Franklin Hartline married Mary, daughter of Peter
and Louisa Meyer, and their household included the
following cliildien: Louis (now deceased), Olmer,
Fred, Grace, Edith, and Nancy Regina, the wife
of Louis Cooper, of Tuscarawas County, now of
Wayne County, this stale. Louis Cooper is a son
of Michael Cooper and wife. Charles F. married
Emma, daughter of George and Louisa Exline, and



their children are named Ora and Myrtle. Susan
became the wife of Louis Hartline, son of George
and Catharine Hartline, of Norwalk, Huron Coun-
ty, Ohio, and their union has been blessed by the
birth of three daughters, Maude, Ruby and Bessie.
Jacob, the youngest of the liousehold, who is at
home with his parents, married Minnie Shutt,
daughter of Jacob and Emma Shutt, of Tuscarawas
County, Ohio.

In politics the subject of this sketch was a strong
Republican until lately, but is now a member of
the Grange. He has never acquired or held office
in any official capacity, excepting as a member of
the School Board, serving in that capacity for
many years. There is a schoolhouse standing on
a portion of his brother's estate, known as the
Hartline School.



JOHN S. BLACK, a leadingyoung attorney of
Cambridge, by -close application to his pro-
fession is steadily moving forward to success
and prosperity. He is very popular among
his fellow-citizens, who elected him City Clerk in
1890. He is a Democrat in politics, and conse-
quently, when placed by his party on the ticket as
a candidate for the Mayoralty in 1892 was de-
feated, as the county and vicinity are well known
to be Republican by an ovferwhelroing majority.

Born in Centre Township, Guernsey County,
February 13, 1863, Mr. Black is a son of one of
the old settlers and pioneers of that locality',
James Black, who was born there on the 3d of March
1843, and in early manhood was a farmer. In
1864 he went to California. He passed his time
in mining until his death, which occurred in Hel-
ena, Mont.. May 5, 1887. To himself and wife,
Lucinda, nee English, were born two children, our
subject and Margaret E., who is the wife of a Mr.
Maudlin, of Tekamah,Neb. Mrs. Lucinda Black
died in Delavan, 111., October 28, 1873, when in her
twenty-eighth year. Samuel, the father of James



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



427



Black, was a native of Ireland. He came to the
United States in 1838, first locating in Baltimore,
Md., but two years later brought his wife and four
children to Guernsey County. He died on his
farm in 1866. His eldest son, John, died in Ne-
braska, in October, 1892; William died in Cincin-
nati, in July, 1894; David is a farmer in this coun-
ty; Samuel resides in Montana; Jane and Margaret
were the daughters; and three children died in in-
fancy.

John S. Black, whose name heads this sketch,
lived on the farm until he was twelve or thirteen
years of age, when he came to make his home with
his uncle, James Stewart, in Cambridge. He at-
tended the local schools, and in 1881 graduated
from the high school. During the vacations he
clerked frequently in stores, and after completing
his education taught school for three or four terms
with success. Being desirous of adopting some
profession, he entered the law office of J. B. P'ergu-
son, and after a course of study was admitted to
the Bar, in October, 1892, since which time he has
been engaged in general practice.

On the 9th of December, 1886, Mr. Black mar-
ried Laura Moore, by whom he has one child
living, Ellis. Mrs. Black is a daughter of Ellis
P. and Elizabeth Moore, of Middlcbonrne, Guern-
sey County. Tlie young coui)le are members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and enjoy
the esteem of a large circle of friends. Mr. Black
possesses those sterling qualities of mind and lieart
that entitle him to the good-will and consideration
of all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance



i-^+^e



JESSE D. BAKER, one of the native sons of
Canal Dover, is also one of her most promi-
nent and highly esteemed business men. Since
he arrived at man's estate he has been en-
gaged in the banking business, as for about thirty
years he has officiated in one capacity or another
with the private bank of this city. In all public
movements and measures which have been set on



foot in the interest of the town or county, Mr.
Baker has been among the first to materially assist,
both by his influence and means. As a business
man, he possesses sound principles, sterling integ-



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 57 of 83)