Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 59 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 59 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was declared elected.

Mr. Buchanan is Chairman of the Democratic
Congressional Committee, also the county com-
mittee. He is a sound lawyer and a good advo-
cate, always commanding the respect of the Court
and the attention of the jury.



m^-^ вАФ _^



WILLIAM KALEV, proprietor of a fine
meat-market in the city of Cambridge,
has been engaged in this line of busi-
ness since the fall of 1894. He has a well stocked
establishment, complete in all its appointments,
and from, the beginning his trade has constantly



been on the increase, so that now he has an excel-
lent patronage. He is courteous and fair in bis
dealings with all, and ranks among the successful
business men of the city.

A native of this state, our subject was born in
Trumbull County, July 16, 1863. His parents
were John and Ella (Kennedy) Kaley, natives of
County Kilkenny and Tipperary, Ireland, respec-
tively, the former of whom was born in 1820.
They were greatly respected in the neighborhood
in which thej' lived, and reared twelve children:
Martin, a resident of Girard, this state; Michael,
living in Newburg, Ohio; William, of this sketch;
Ellen, the wife of Flori Gard; Julia, deceased,
formerly Mrs. Patrick Coad; Katie, wh6 married
Thomas Loftes, and is also deceased; Agnes, resid.
ing in Mineral Ridge, this state; and Tracy, John,
James and Edward, at home.

John Kaley emigrated to the United States in
1841, and found his first employment working on
the Alleghany Mountain Railroad, being in the
employ of one company for four years. He then
removed to New Castle, Pa., where he lived for five
years, engaged as a teamster. His next move found
him a resident of Niles, this state, where he hauled
coal from Mineral Ridge to Niles, working his
own teams. He made his home in that place for
four years, when lie removed to Mineral Ridge
and became the owner of a farm. He still con-
tinues teaming in the winter time. Miss Ella Ken-
nedy emigrated to America in the year 1844, and
some years later was joined in marriage with the
father of our subject. She was a most estimable
lady, and active in all good works in the vicinitj'
of her home.

As before stated, William Kaley, our subject, was
born in Trumbull County, this state, July 16, 1863.
He was educated in the common schools of his dis-
trict, and lived at home until nineteen years of age,
but at the age of fifteen commenced working in
the rolling-mills at Niles, Ohio. On leaving home
he proceeded to New Philadeliihia, and worked in
the rolling-mills at that place, and when the roll-
ing-mills at Cambridge started up in 1891 he
came to this city and engaged his services to the
Cambridge Iron and Steel Company-, continuing
therein until the latter part of 1894, when he



434



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



started his piesent meat-market, engaging a skill-
ful manager to run it.

William Kalcy, when read\' to establish a home
of his own, was married, December 14, 1883, to
Miss Nettie lillis, a native of New Philadelphia,
this state. Her parents were Johnson and Julia
Ann (Heusel) Ellis. Her grandfather on the pa-
ternal side was a native of England, and her grand-
mother a native of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Kaley was
given a fair education, and belongs to the Catholic
Church, to which our subject also belongs, and is a
regular attendant. In politics he is a supporter of
Republican principles.



^^+^1



TTA DWARD H. McGRRW. For the past thir-

r C) teen or fourteen years, this worthy old
citizen of Tuscarawas County has been
partially retired from active labors, and during
this period has made his home in the village of
Sandyville. For the main portion of his life he
was identified with agricultural pursuits, and im-
proved several good farms. Through his indus-
trj', economy and well directed efforts, he made a
competence amply sufficient to provide the com-
forts and necessities of life for his remaining
years.

Nathan McGrew, the father of E. H., was born
in Westmoreland County, Pa., and was one of five
children who grew to mature years. Samuel is
now deceased; Stephen died in Iowa; James passed
away in Sandusky, Ohio; and Jlartha is still liv-
ing. In 1804 Nathan McGrew came to this coun-
ty, and settled in New Philadelphia. He served
in the War of 1812 as an officer, and recruited a
company of patriots. Up to the time of his death
he was County Surveyor, an office he had held for
several years, and also for a long period he was
Justice of the Peace. His death occurred while
he was yet in the prime of life, in Fairfield Town-
ship, January 12, 1834, at the age of forty-eight
years. In politics lie was a Whig. His widow
survived him for about half a century, dying in



Clay County, Ind., in the fall of 1883, aged eighty-
four years. Her seven children are as follows:
Martha, who became the wife of Sam M. Martin;
Eliza; Edward H., our subject; Deborah, who be-
came the wife of Alfred Davis; Sarah A., wife of
Markus Dolls, now of Meeker County, Minn.;
Nathan, whose home is in Iowa; and David, now
of Sullivan County, Ind. The mother of these
children was Mary, daughter of Edward and Sarah
(McCluitice) Huston, natives of Ireland and Vir-
ginia, respectively. The father was one of the
pioneers of this county, but died in the East. His
calling in life was that of manufacturing mill
burrs. Their two children were Mary and Eliza,
the latter of whom married a Mr. Bears. After
the death of her first husband, Mrs. Sarah Huston,
became the wife of a Mr. Pritchard, and bore him
two children: Jane, who.became the wife of David
Bacon; and Sarah, wife of George Howe. Mr.
Pritchard was a leading farmer, and represented
his county in the State Legislature. His death
occurred in Jefferson County, and his widow then
came to make her home in this locality, but died
while visiting in Medina County, Ohio. Mrs.
Mary McGrew was born in the eastern part of
Pennsylvania or Virginia, and from the time she
was eight years of age was an active worker in
tlie Methodist Episcopal Church. Her last years
were spent with her daughter in Indiana, in whose
home her death occurred.

Edward II. McGrew was born near New Phila-
delphia, April 27, 1822. He obtained his educa-
tion in the primitive log schoolhouse of that day,
and worked for his mother on the farm until he
was twenty-one years of age. For the next seven
years he operated a homestead, after which he
bought a farm for himself. This, his first pur-
chase of land, comprised ninety acres, situated
north of Zoar Station, and for this farm he paid at
the rate of ^23 per acre. After improving the
place, lie traded it for one hundred and forty-two
acres west of Sandyville. In the spring of 1859
he removed to this homestead, which in time was
increased to two hundred and fifty-six acres by
purchase. He continued to dwell thereon for
some twenty-two years, but finally, in the spring
of 1881, came to reside in Sandyville. He received



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



439



$500 from his father's estate, but with this excep-
tion has had to make his own way in the world
by his Individual efforts.

In the spring of 1850 Mr. McGrew married
Mary J. Bailey, who was born in Sandyville, Jan-
uary 4, 1831, and is a daughter of John and Eliza-
beth (Dickson) Bailey. The former was born Jan-
uary 8, 1806, and died in 1882. Mrs. Bailey, who
was born January 17, 1806, died in March, 1885.
They were the parents of nine children, five of
whom were reared to manhood and womanhood,
namely: James, John, Alfred, Mary J. and Martha.
The father was a Whig, subsequently a Republican,
and served as Justice of the Peace, and in lesser
offices. His father, James Bailey, who came from
Pennsylvania, was one of the early pioneers of
this county, and a full account of his life may be
found in the sketch of John D. Bailey, which ap-
pears elsewhere in this volume.

Mr. and Mrs. McGrew have not been blessed
with children of their own, but many years ago
adopted a little girl, whom they cared for and
loved as though she had been their own child.
This lady, whose given name is Rose, is now the
wife of Napoleon Shott. For forty-three years
Mr. McGrew and wife have been members of the
Lutheran Church, and for thirty-eight years of
this period the former has been an Elder in the
congregation. Fraternallj- he has been a Mason
for twenty years. In all matters of political mo-
ment in his locality he takes an active part, and
at all times manifests a patriotic spirit.



JACOB R. LEBOLD. The old saying that
"industry brings reward as surely as does
virtue" is proven in the life of the gentle-
man whose name opens this sketch. Al-
though given a start in life by his honored father,
he has invested his means in such a manner as to
bring him handsome profit, and is now considered
one of the largest land-owners and a financial pillar



of Tuscarawas County. His possessions aggregate
overeigiit hundred acres of as fine farming land as
is to be found in this section, and the cultivation
of his farm occupies the greater part of his time and
attention.

The original of this sketch was born at Bolivar,
this county, August 18, 1847, and is the son of
John and Catharine Lebold. The first-mentioned
was born October 28, 1816, in Wurtemberg, Ger-
many, and was the seventh in order of birth of a
family of nine children comprised in the house-
hold of Conrad and Iledwig Lebold. The emigra-
tion to America occurred when John was a lad of
fourteen years, and he well remembered the long
and tedious voyage of six months across the At-
lantic. The family located in 1830 in Zoar, this
state, where the father worked at his trade as a
cooper during his stay there of about eighteen
months. At the end of that time, deciding to fol-
low the life of an agriculturist, he purchased the
land known as the Moser Farm, and, moving upon
it, was engaged in its cultivation, at the same
time working, off and on, at his trade. He was
stricken with paralysis in 1860, and died when in
the eighty-fourth j'ear of his age. The mother
preceded him to the better land by ten j'ears, pass-
ing away at the age of seventy-four.

According to the old German custom, the elder
sons of the family were educated to follow the
trade of their father, and consequently were coopers.
George lived in Sandy Hook a number of years
prior to his removal to Alton, 111., where he
worked at his trade. John Conrad, the second son,
made his home in Zoar for seven 3'ears, after which
he took up his abode in Seneca County, this state,
where he entered land, and was engaged in its cul-
tivation until his decease, in 1889, at the age of
eighty-five years. Hcdwig, the eldest daughter,
married Jacob Shutz, of Massillon, Ohio, and after
a residence there of a few years removed to Illi-
nois. Mrs. Shutz on the death of her husband
married a Mr. Hammel, and in 1852 thej- returned
to Guerasey County and lived in Bolivar until
her death, which occurred in 1891, aged eighty-
five. Christiana Lebold became the wife of Mar-
tin Smeltz, and in 1835 removed to Seneca Coun-
ty, where she died in the year 1858. Jacob, the



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



third son and fifth child, also removed to the
above county about the time his sister Christiana
made the journey, and is now living in Attica.
Barbara, now Mrs. Jacob Smeltz, makes her home
in Williams County, this state.

John, the father of our subject, remained under
the parental roof, working for his father, until at-
taining his twenty-fifth' year, when he started out
to make his own way in the world, and married
Miss Catharine Mayrer, a native of the Fatiier-
land. The lady came to this country with iier
parents in 1841, and the year after was married to
Mr. Lebold. The young couple began life with
a very moderate amount of this world's goods,
but possessing an unusual amount of energy and
push, coupled with good judgment, tliey began to
save at the start. Their first land consisted of one
hundred and ten acres of the old liornestead, for
which our subject paid the other heirs $1,350, and
in addition to this gave one-third of the grain cul-
tivated to his fatiier during tlie eighteen years
that he lived.

John Lebold added tract after tract to the old
homestead, until the one hundred and ten acre
farm was enlarged to six hundred acres. With
this amount of land he was enabled to lay by each
year a miicii larger sum of money, which he in-
vested from time to time in real estate, until he
owned as much as three thousand acres in Tuscara-
was County and the state of Missouri. Thus from
a moderate start in life in 1842, this honored
couple, with united efforts, amassed the handsome
fortune of $150,000, besides giving each of their
nine children a ver}' generous start in life, either
in a farm or cash.

Mrs. Catharine Lebold died March 2, 1891,
being greatly mourned by all who knew her. She
was a loving wife, a kind and indulgent moth-
er and an excellent neighbor. No person was ever
turned hungry from her door, and she was ever
ready at all times to help the needy. In fact, to
meet her was to respect her; to know her was to
love and adore her and revere her for her kindness
and goodness of heart. Had she lived one year
longer they would have celebrated their golden
wedding.

John Lebold survived his noble wife nearly



three j-ears, and in his death the county lost one
of its most honored and valued citizens, one who
had done much toward the upbuilding of his com-
munity and was active in all good works. He was
a very peaceable and law-abiding man, which is
evidenced by tlie fact that he never had more
than two or three lawsuits in his life, and these
were all on the defensive. He alwa3's acted upon
his own judgment, and even in important business
transactions would rather suffer a wrong than to
have his actions questioned. He was liberal and
honest in all his dealings with his fellow-man, and
never asked anyone to do more for him than he
would freely do himself.

Mr. and Mrs. Lebold were members in excellent
standing of the German I.utlieran Church, with
which they were connected for many years, and in
tlieir death the church lost two of its most active
workers. In social affairs the former was an Odd
Fellow of good standing and was also a prominent
Mason. Although in no sense of the term an of-
fice-seeker, he was at various times called upon to
fill positions of trust and in each and every instance
discharged the duties of the same with characteris-
tic fidelity and satisfaction to all concerned.

Jacob R. Lebold received a good common-school
education, and two years after attaining his major-
ity was married and began life for himself. He
rented the old homestead for one year, and in the
spring of 1871 located on the tract where he now
resides. This embraces four hundred and ninety-
four acres, finely improved with substantial build-
ings and stocked with the best breeds of horses and
cattle. Mr. Lebold also owns another fine farm of
three hundred and sixty acres in Sandy Township.
In addition to operating his home place he has
since 1861 been more or less engaged in running a
sawmill. His stock always takes the first premi-
ums at the various fairs at which they are exhibi-
ted.

Our subject is very prominent in public affairs
and is now serving his sixth term as Trustee of the
township and is also one of the Directors of the
infirmary. In politics he is a stanch Democrat
and takes great interest in the success of his party.
He was married, December 7, 1869, to Mary Mo-
hart, who was born in thi^ county and is the daugh-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



ter of Jacob and Mary Mohart, natives of Ger-
many, whence they emigrated to the United States
in an early day.

Of the seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Ja-
cob R. Lebold, six are living: Amelia, John W.,
Jacob R., Henry, Charles and Florence. Katie is
deceased. The parents are members in good stand-
ing of the Lutheran Church and are highly hon-
ored and respected in the community in which
they reside.



^^^^



OF. LOWRY, M. D., of Lore City, is a
prominent practitioner of Guernsey Coun-
ty, and is a descendant of one of its pio-
neer families. Immediately after his graduation
from Starling Medical College, at Columbus, this
state, he settled here, and since that time he has
been engaged in practice. For the past two years
he has been surgeon for the Baltimore & Ohio Rail-
road Company at this point, and has built up a lu-
crative practice in this section.

The ancestors of the Doctor were natives of Ire-
land, and located in Ohio at an early day. Elijah
Lowry, the great-grandfather of Dr. O. F. Lowry,
as the record shows, was eighty- two years of age
at the time of his death, which occurred on the 4th
of August, 1842. His wife, whose maiden name
was Elizabeth A. Mills, was a native of Pennsyl-
vania, and their marriage was celebrated in that
State. To them were born three sons and two
daughters, James, John, William, Elizabeth and
Margaret. William Lowry, our subject's grand-
father, who was born on the 1st of September,
1806, in the Keystone State, died March 18, 1872,
on his farm south of this cit3'. His boyhood was
passed on his father's homestead, which is now in
the possession of Emerson B. Lowry.

October 22, 1835, William Lowry married Nancy
St. Clair, who was born in Belmont County, Ohio,
September 25, 1813. Soon after their marriage
,he young couple settled on a farm a mile south



of Lore City, where they passed the remainder of
their days. A log house was later replaced by a
substantial frame structure, and many other im-
portant improvements followed. The original
farm comprised one hundred and twenty-seven
acres, to which was subsequently added a tract of
seventy-five acres. William Lowry died March
18, 1873, aged sixty-five years. For many years
he had been a consistent member of the Lutheran
Church, and his piety and many amiable qualities
won for him the confidence and esteem of his fel-
low-citizens.

His worthy companion and helpmate is still liv-
ing, and is now nearly eighty-two years of age.
She is a daughter of William and Alice (Smith)
St. Clair, who were natives of Loudoun County,
Va. The father located in Ohio before its settle-
ment b}' white people, and on his various business
pilgrimages made more than thirty trips across the
Alleghany Mountains, and also made two trips to
New Orleans on flatboats, when it took six months
to make the round trip. His father, James, a man
possessed of considerable wealth, bought for each
of his four sons and five daughters a quarter-sec-
tion of land in Ohio. The following account of
William St. Clair's life appeared in a newspaper
after his demise: " William St. Clair died March
13, 1871, at his residence one mile west of Sales-
ville, Guernsey County, in the ninety-second year
of his age. He was one of the earliest pioneer set-
tlers of eastern Ohio, and was born in Loudoun
County, Va., May 24, 1779, of Quaker parents.
He was married, in the spring of 1801, to Miss
Alice Smith, whose parents were also Quakers, and
residents of Loudoun County. In 1803 Mr. St.
Clair^ with his wife and one child and household
effects, packed in a four-horse wagon, crossed the
mountains and settled in Belmont Countv, Ohio.
His father had previously entered section 34, now
on the west side of Richland Township. Mr. St.
Clair located on the southeast quarter of that sec-
tion, and put up the large stone house there about
1807. About 180] he built a gristmill with an
overshot wheel. This was probably the first water-
mill erected in Belmont County. While a resident
of that county he served six terms as Justice of
the Peace, and was ouce elected to the Legislature,



438



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



but was beaten after taking his seat by Ills oppo-
nent, and at the next election was again beaten,
by one vole. During the War of 1812 he was
Captain of a company of volunteers. In 1836 lie
erected a large gristmill near his residence, wiiich
contributed largely' to the settlement and prosper-
ity of the country around it. Before his death
some ten or twelve .years, he divided his wealth
among his children and prepared for death. He
voted at every Presidential election, except those
at which Washington was elected. He and his
wife, who died about ten years before him, lived
happily together for sixty years. At the time of
his demise he was the progenitor of one hundred
and thirty-three persons. He retained the full
use of his mental powers to the moment of his
death."

To William and Nancy Lowry the following
children were born: St. Clair Milton, who died in
childhood; Newton, who is unmarried, and with his
mother occupies the homestead; Smith T., who was
born August 11,1844, and died April 1, 1887;
John William, who married Lucinda Linn, and
died in May, 1892; Emily C, wife of John C. Rose,
of Senecaville; and Orlando.

Dr. Smith T. Lowry obtained a common-school
education, and in 1864 went to Oberlin College,
where he learned telegraphy, and graduated with
the first honors of his class. In April, 1865, he
was employed at Spencer's Station to take charge
of the telegraph otfice and store at a large salary.
For six years he continued in this capacity, but in
November, 1871, was thrown from a horse, receiv-
ing injuries which resulted in paralysis of the
lower limbs. Studying medical works relative to
bis own case, he became much interested in the
science and became quite an authority. His neigh-
bors frequently consulted hira, and on account of
friendship he began prescribing for simple cases of
disease. In time he worked into a large practice,
and went to Starling Medical College for more
thorough training. After graduating in 1878, he
began regular practice, and was very successful.
As a student he was zealous and unwearied, all his
spare time being passed in the perusal of his
numerous and valuable books. Although par-
tially crippled, a man being required to move him



from place to place, he was- full of energy, and
drove out day and night in all kinds of weather,
to the rich and poor alike. In 1864 he became
identified with the Presbyterian Church and died
in that faith.

Dr. O. F. Lowry was born March 15, 1856. He
received a common-school education, and when
seventeen years of age began teaching, an occupa-
tion he followed for ten yars with success. He con-
tinued his studies during this period, and then en-
tered the Ohio State University at Athens. In the
fall of 1887 he took up a course of medical lec-
tures at Starling College, from which he gradu-
ated in the spring of 1889. During the few years
which have since elapsed he has built up a good
local reputation, and ranks high among his profes-
sicmal brethren. Sociall}' he belongs to Eureka
Lodge of Masons, of Washington, in which he has
filled all the chairs, and is also a member of
Cambridge Chapter. In politics he is a Repub-
lican.

Dr. Lowry married Miss Mary, daughter of John
and Sarah (Williams) Doyle. At one time John
Doyle was the owner of the land upon which the
Philadelphia Centennial Exposition was held. To
Dr. Lowry and wife have been born four children,
namely: Maud D., Ray S., Hayden St. Clair and
Hazel Deane. For a number of years Mr. and
Mrs. Lowry have been active workers in the Meth-
odist Episcopal Church.



MRS. MARY (PATTERSON) ARM-
STRONG. The venerable lady whose
honored name introduces this sketch is
one of whom the biographer esteems it a privilege
to write. A woman who has trod the pathway of
life for eighty-five years with the bravery of true
courage, in the face of trial, tribulation and hard-
ship, and who has shown the devotion to right,
and the beautiful traits of Christian character
which have distinguished Mrs. Armstrong, deserves



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



439



more extended praise tban the feeble pen of the
writer can indite.

Mary Patterson was born in Fayette County,
Pa., April 2, 1810, and was the daughter of Jere-
miah and Mary (McFarland) Patterson, the for-
mer of whom was born July 20, 1776, in Bedford
County, Pa. He was a farmer by occupation, and
was the son of William and Jane (Morrow) Pat-
terson. William died, aged ninety-six years, in
1847; and his wife, whose birth occurred in York
County, Pa., died many years previous. Jere-
miah Patterson had two uncles who served as sol-
diers in the Revolutionary War, one of whom was
taken prisoner, and died from tiic effect of poisoned
food. The mother of Mrs. Armstrong was 'born
in Franklin County, Pa., August 20, 1775, and
was married in March, 1809. They at once moved



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 59 of 83)