Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 61 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 61 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he bought the old homestead and moved upon it.
Mr. Williams is very progressive and is awake to



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



445



all the latest methods of cultivating his land, and
has developed the estate until it is one of the most
productive in the county. Since the place has
come into his possession he has erected a large, fine
residence, modern in arciiitectural design and taste-
fully furnished. For the past five years he has
devoted almost his entire attention to the breed-
ing of Holstein cattle. His animals are very fine,
and the last three years he has taken the premium
at the county fairs where they have been exiiibited.
Mr. Williams has given liis eldest son the original
homestead, and sold ten acres to a coal company.
The latter is now the site of Somerdale.

December 31, 1850, the subject of tliis sketch
was married to Miss Cynthia M. Dixon, who was
born in Saudyviilc, Ohio, on tlie IStli of January
1832. She is the daughter of Daniel and Jane
(Boon) Dixon, and on the paternal side of the
house is of Scotch descent. Her father was an
early settler in this county, carrying on the com-
bined occupations of merchant, farmer and black-
smith. The mother of Mrs. Williams came to this
state from Washington County, Pa., with her par-
ents in 1822. She was a Presbyterian in religion,
while her husband belonged to the Methodist Epis-
copal denomination. The latter was born in Octo-
tober, 1804, and his good wife's birth occurred in
October, 1812. They became the parents of eleven
children, nine of whom lived to attain their ma-
jority. Cynthia is the eldest; then came Robert,
living in Denver, Colo.; William, a minister of tlie
Methodist Church, served as Captain of Company
E, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Ohio Infantry;
Lizzie J. is deceased; John H. was a soldier of
the Sixtieth Indiana Regiment; James M. is living
in Somerdale; Abner was a veteran of the Civil
War, as was also Daniel, now deceased; and Mary
L. is the wife of Rev. Jefferson Williams.

Mr. and Mrm Williams have had born to them
five children, but two sons died in infancy'. Alden
I. B. received a good education, and was married
to Catherine Rippel; Jane A. is the wife of Rev.
Ephraim E. Sparks; Iliram P. married Alice M.
Iraise, and is now attending Mt. Union College,
preparing for the ministry. Mrs. AVilliams lias
been a member of the Methodist Church since
childhood, and our subject joined that denomina-



tion over thirty years ago. He is active in church
work, and has been Steward for some time. They
have many warm personal friends in the commu-
nity, and command the respect and confidence of
all who have the honor of their acquaintance.



^^+^1



DANIEL HAAS. Tuscarawas County fur-
nished its quota of noble men to the rank
and file of the Union army, among whom
our subject occupied an honorable place. He is
now residing in Shanesviile, in which town he is
held in the highest possible esteem, and has the
confidence of all who know him.

Mr. Haas is a native of this county, having been
born in Franklin Township, December 11, 1841.
His father, I. A. Haas, was born across the waters,
in Rhonsweiler, Bavaria, January 1, 1800. He
spent the first thirty-two years of his life in his
native land, where he was given a good education
in the model schools of that country. Determin-
ing to see what fortune awaited him in the New
World, he embarked on a sailing-vessel in June,
1832, and after a veiy tedious voyage was landed
in New York Harbor.

I. A. Haas spent a short time in the metropolis,
and then came to this state, locating in Franklin
Township, where he first purchased ten acres of
land. On this he erected a dwelling for his fam-
ily, and commenced working at his trade, that of a
sliocmaker. Four years prior to leaving his na-
tive land, he was married to Miss Catherine Smith,
also born in Bavaria. As time passed on and he
became more prosperous, the elder Mr. Haas took
up his abode in Wayne Township, and became
the proprietor of one hundred and seventy-one
acres of fine farming land. This he cultivated in
a very intelligent manner, and at the time of his
decease had a good competence.

The original of tins sketch was the recipient of
a good education, received m the district school,
and when attaining his m.ajority, in 1862, left



44G



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



home and offered his services in defense of his
country's flag. He was mustered into Companj-
E, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Ohio Infiintry,
commanded by Capt. "William L. Dixon. The
regiment, which was organized at Steubenville,
was ordered, in September of that year, to Parkers-
burg, W. Va., where they rendezvoused for sev-
eral weeks, and were tho-roughl}- drilled. They
next went to Cumberland, ]M(i., from there to
North Mountain, and later to Martinsburg, where
they were placed on guard duty, serving from
December to .June of the following year. That
month they were driven by Lee's army to Harper's
Ferry, the regiment sustaining a severe loss at that
place. The}' were compelled to wade the Po-
tomac River, and sleeping without shelter of any
kind caused much sickness among the boys in
blue. During this encounter Company I. of the
Twenty-sixth Regiment, were all taken prisoners
by the rebels.

Mr. Haas participated in many of the important
battles of the war, among them being Fisher's
Gap, fought in September, 18G3; Culpeper Court
House, September of that year; Kelley's Ford, in
November; and Mine Run, in December; after which
they marched to Brandy Station, and were organ-
ized and assigned to the Sixth South Carolina.
They afterward took part in all the engagements
of Grant's army, including the Wilderness, Mon-
ocacy and Cold Harbor, where Mr. Haas was twice
wounded. September 19, 1864, he wai shot through
the arm by a sharpshooter, who had taken up his
position in the top of a large pine tree, and had
succeeded in killing several officers before his hid-
ing-place was discovered by an Indian belonging
to the Union regiment.

After the battle of Fisher's Hill, the Union
forces drove the enemy back to Port Republic,
with much hard fighting and great suffering on
the part of the soldiers. At Cedar Creek the Cor-
poral of Company I was surprised by the rebel,
General Early, who drove them back about two
miles, when General Sheridan came to their relief.
They then turned and put to flight the other
forces, capturing three thousand prisoners, and
the ambulance and wagon trains. April 6, 1865,
Mr. Haas was present and ijarticipated in the bat-



tle of Richmond, Va., and at Petersburg followed
the retreating army to Taylor's Creek, where they
succeeded in capturing eight hundred Confeder-
ates. Thinking that the war was nearingits close,
the Twenty-sixth Regiment marched to Danville,
where they received the news of Johnston's sur-
render to Sherman. Then they returned to Rich-
mond, from which place they were ordered to
Washington to participate in the last Grand Re-
view, and were then honorably discharged and
mustered out.

Our subject, on returning home after the estab-
lishment of peace, has ever since made his resi-
dence in Shanesville. He is now engaged in carry-
ing on a good trade as a groceryraan, and at the
same time runs a restaurant with good success. He
is^.very progressive and wide-awake, and his fel-
low-men hold him in good repute.

Mr. Haas was married, October 1.5, 1879, to Lydia
Ruse, who was born in Wayne Township, this
county, June 12, 1845. To our subject and his
estimable wife there have been born two children.
Samuel C, born August 10, 1871, died September
1, 1873; and Upton A., born August 23, 1873, is
engaged with his father in business iu this place.



AMUEL D. WALrZ, a leading agricultur-
ist of Fairfield Township, is the owner of
a very valuable farm, which he purchased
in May, 1893. Rich veins of coal have been dis-
covered on his place, and the land in which it is
situated has been leased by an organized mining
company, who have made satisf.actory terms with
the owner. Though he has never been an aspirant
for political honors, Mr. Waltz has proved his abil-
ity and trustworthiness as Township Clerk and
Township Trustee, and in addition to those offices
has served as School Director, and has been in-
fluential in the building of five schoolhouses in
his township.

The birth of our subject occurred in the town-
ship where he still resides, February 18, 1840. He



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



447



is of German descent, though his parents, Bazalell
and Catherine (Dibert) Waltz, were natives of
Maryland. The fatiier came to this county as
early as 1812, took up some land, and also fol-
lowed his trade as a cooper. To himself and wife
were born the following children: Ebeiiezer, who
died in infancy; Lavina, wife of Jeremiali Weaver,
of Allen County, this state; Samuel D.; Elizabeth,
deceased; Alvin, who is a minister, and also a
farmer of New Cumberland; Sarah, Mrs. Pop-
ham, also of New Cumberland; and Catherine J.,
Mi-s. George Gooderding, of Allen County, Ohio.

The boyhood days of Samuel D. Wallz were
quietly passed on his father's farm, and his pri-
mary education was obtained in the district schools
of tlie neighborhood. His higher studies were
pursued by himself mainly, though it was his priv-
ilege to take a term at Point Washington Acad-
emy. Subsequently he taught school for six
terms in the counties of Allen, Van AVert and Tus-
carawas. In 1867 he embarked on his career as a
farmer, and for twenty-six years was a resident of
Fairfield Township, where he improved and cul-
tivated a good homestead. For the past year and
a-half he has lived on his farm in Fairfield Town-
ship, which, as previously staled, bids fair to yield
a good income to the owner on account of its
mineral wealth alone.

Mr. Waltz is one who believes a man should have
more than one trade, so that if disabled for one he
will have another to fall back on, and has learned
the cooper's, carpenter's, harness-maker's, shoe-
maker's and blacksmith's trades. He is an old-
timer with the rifle, and in 1893 drove a nail five
times out of seven off hand, at a distance of sixty
feet.

March 8, 1862, Mr. Waltz married Miss Harriet,
daughter of Jacob Way, of Carroll County, Ohio.
Five children have graced their union, the eldest
of whom, Grant, is a resident of Midvale. Cath-
erine is the wife of John Ryan, of this county;
Nora is the wife of William Beans, also of Mid-
vale; John S., the next in order of birth, was
born on the 29th of August, 1869, and Lillie M.
is also still under the parental roof. John S! is
a graduate in all the common branches, but as
he desired to ascend higher in the intellectual



field, took a course at the Oak Grove Academy at
Canal Dover. He is now fitted to fill any position
or office in the county where a good and thorough
education is required. He has been a successful
canvasser for various articles in the counties of
Tuscarawas, Holmes and Coshocton, but at present
his whole time is devoted to agriculture and horti-
culture on his farm, for which it is well adapted,
being situated in the beautiful valley of the Tus-
carawas River, one mile from Zoar Station.

Mr. and Mrs. Waltz are faithful members of the
Lutheran Church, and the former is Superintendent
of the Sunday-school. He uses his right of fran-
chise in favor of Republican nominees, and has
always been faithful to the party since casting his
first Presidential vote for the martyr and patriot,
Abraham Lincoln.



FREDERICK WARNER, one of the propri-
etors of the Warner Bros. Flouring-mill,
stands among the foremost of the promi-
nent business men who have contributed so largely
to the financial prosperity of this part of the coun-
trj'. AVith true public spirit and characteristic
liberality, he has aided in every enterprise that
would in any way advance the welfare of Gnad-
enhutten, where he resides.

Our subject comes of good old pioneer stock,
and numbers among his ancestry some of the ear-
liest settlers of the state. He is a native of Ohio,
born at Lockport, in this county, September 24,
1851. His parents were Frederick and Willielraina
Warner, both of whom were born in the Father-
land. Coming to America and being in s^-mpathy
with the Unionists during the late war, the father
volunteered in defense of the Stars and Stripes.
He was accepted nnd mustered into Company B,
Fifty-first Ohio Infantr3', with which he remained
eighteen months, suffering all the hardships and
privations of a soldier's life, and participating in
many of the well known battles in which his regi-



448



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



mcnt was engaged. He departed this life in 1872,
at the age of forty-three jeais. His good wife is
still living, making lierhome in New Philadelphia,
where she has liosts of warm friends.

Frederick and Wilhelmina Warner were married
in their native land, and reared a family of three
sons and four daughters, of wliom our subject is
the eldest. Pauline is the wife of C. Henninger,
and makes her home in New Philadelphia; Samuel
is a partner in the flouring-mills at Gnadenhutten ;
Mary married Elmer Wilson, and is also a resident
of New Phiiadelpliia; Emmie is now Mrs. Benja-
min Niederhiser, and is located in the above city;
Katie is the wife of John Mueller, foreman of the
pipe works in New Philadelphia, where Louise also
makes her home.

The parents of our subject took up their abode
in Lockport, this state, in the year 1851. The fa-
ther at once commenced boating on the canal, and
by honest and upright mctliods of transacting bus-
iness became well-to-do, and at tlie time of his
death left his family a valuable property. He was
a peaceable, law-abiding citizen, just to his neigli-
bors and of a friendly spirit, and was well respect-
ed by those wlio knew him and pointed out as a
fine example of the self-made man.

The subject of this sketch remained under the
parental roof until attaining his eighteenth year,
when he left home to make his own way in tlie
world. His first work was in the Byers Flourniills,
where he obtained a thorough knowledge of tlie
business, and remained for a period of seventeen
years. At the end of that time we find him located
in Gnadenhutten, in the employ of R. S. Hogue, a
miller of this place. At the expiration of two
years the mill was traded by its original owner,
and a short time thereafter Mr. Warner, in com-
pany with Fred Spring, purchased the plant, which
they operated together for a twelvemontli. The
junior member of the firm then retiring, Samuel
Warner, a brother of our subject, purchased his in-
terest in the business, and the firm of Warner Bros,
was thus formed. Tlieir mill is well supplied with
the most improved machinerj', and has a large ca-
pacity for making Hour of a fine quality.

Mr. Warner and IMiss Susanna Anman were mar-
ried in 1875. The lady is the daughter of Anan-



ias and Catherine Anman. Mrs. Warner was the
eldest of their family of children, her brothers and
sisters being Fred, living in New Philadelphia;
Lizzie, the wife of John B. Casselman, a resident
of Canal Dover; Katie, wife of Mr. Sission, of St.
Louis, Mo.; Lottie, now Mrs. McCarthy, of New
Philadelphia; and Millie Emma. The wife and
mother departed this life in 1878. Ananias An-
man is still living, and leading a retired life in
Wooster, this state. He served as a soldier during
the Civil War, and as an old veteran commands
the respect of all who know him.

To our subject and his estimable wife there have
been born the following-named three children:
Corilla, at home attending school, as are also Will-
iam F. and Arthur A. Mr. Warner is a self-made
man in the truest sense of the word. His prompt
and methodical business habits, good financial
talent and tact in the management of affairs have
brought him success. He is a man of much decis-
ion of character, and intelligent and pronounced
views on all subjects. The Moravian Church finds
in him one of its most valued raembei-s, and to the
support of the congregation at Gnadenhutten he
is a liberal contributor.



i>^^



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 61 of 83)