Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 63 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 63 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


energies and linaneial ability. He assisted his chil-
dren in (jblaining a home and start in life, besides
giving them a good edueation and other opijor-
tunities. In addition to his home place, he owned
considerable land in Michigan. In politics he sup-
ported the Democracy. Until a few 3'ears befoic
his death he was a member of the Reformed Church,
afterward becoming a Lutheran, lie w.as twice
married, his lirsl wife being Elizabeth Bender, wiio
ijore him the followingchildren: .loanna. deceased;
William, who died at the age of lifty yeais; .Jo-
seph, born July 27, 1821; Mary, July 10. 1825;
Rosanna, September 28, 1830; Thomas, Dec'cinber
6, 1832; James, October 17, 1834; Francis, July it,
1835; Matilda, December 16. 1838
May 17, 1840. The mother of this tamilv died
July 18, 1847, in her liftieth y
in tlie service during the Mex
company with his brothers, James, Francis and
Thomas, took [nut in the War of the Rebellion.

The second wife eif Francis Render was Rachel,

widow of James (Gordon, and daughter of John

S|)aiks. The latter was a native of Pennsylvania

and a pioneer of Warren Township, where he im-

j proved two hundred and si.xty-live acres. His fa-

I tlier came West at an early day, and bought three



and


R(


.be


t


tan


''.V


die


d


Wil


iai


1 w


as


War


an


d.


11



Rend
A.. 01



ter-seeiions of land, which iie divided between
oils, .lolin and E[)hraini. John died at an ad-
•ed !ig.\ leaving ten children. .Mrs. Rachel
me Ihe mother of two sons, Theodore
eet. and Henry S., of Jlineral Point,
r.y her lirst union she had three children: .loseph;

a rcMdentof Iowa. Mrs. Render is now making
her home with her son Theodore, and has reached
the age of seventy-eight years. .She is a devoted
member of the Methodist Episcoiial Church, and is
a most worthy and estimable lady.

Theodore A. Render was born July 27, 1852,
and in his boyhood received a district-school edu-
cation. At the age of nineteen years he began
farming on his own account, and for the next
seven 3'ears rented his father's farm, which he car-
ried on. In 1878 he bought one hundred and



l^ORTRAIT A-f^n BIOGRAPHICAL RRCORD.



eighteen acres, and has cleared about forty acre?
of this of timber. As an agriculturist he met with
good success, and is honored and respected by all
his iieiglibors and acquaintances. In former years
he was a supporter of the Democratic party, but is
now a Re|)ublican.

Theodore Render married Joanna Strawn, an
adopted daughter of Solon Strawn, of Warren
Township. Mr. and Mrs. Render have four living
children, three daughters and a son. as follows:
Anna, who is the wife of Charles Sfjarks; Viniiie
R., Barbara G. and Emil A.



QUIRP: LOUIS L. WINSCH, a prominent
and worthy citizen of Clay Township, is a
man of great public spirit, and in many
ways this community is indebted to him for tlie
improvement and prosperity winch it enjoys in a
large measure. For the past few years he has been,
engaged in carpet maiiufactunng, and also handles
wind-mills, pumps, etc. He has held a number of
local offices, discharging the duties pertaining
thereto with fidelity and honor. In 1878 he was
elected Justice of the Peace and with the exception
of two years has since occupied the position. For
one year he served as Township Trustee, and for
some time he vvas a member of the School Board.

Tlic parents of our subject were Jonathan and
Caroline (Peter) Winscli. The former was born
near Graueham, ;Md., December 3(1, 1804, being a
son of Jacob and Maiianna (Barbie) Winsch, na-
tives of Pennsylvania and Maryland, respectively.
Jacob Winscli emigrated to this township about
1805, and engaged in his trade as a carpenter until
shortly before his death. Among the other monu-
ments to his skill and handiwork yet in existence,
are the doors and pulpits of the old Beerslieba
Church. Our subject's mother was born in this
township September 28, 1811, and died August 21,
1888. Her parents, David and Susannah (Lime-



beck) Peter, were natives of Pennsylvania and
among the iiioneers of this neighborhood. David
Peter came here in 1801, with Mr. Hechcwelder,
and they were the first to locate here permanently.

Jonathan Winscli and Caroline Peter were mar-
ried in Clay Township, May 13, 1832, and their
union was graced with the following children:
Eliza M., born February 24, 1833, and who is de-
ci'ased; Louise S., born September 6, 1835; Sarali
A., December 20, 183C, and now the wife of Henry
Micks, a retired stone mason, residing at Gnaden-
liutten; and Marianna, born September 6, 1838.

The early years of Louis L. Winsch were passed
in this township, where he received a fair educa-
tion. In 1859 he married Miss Annie Blickens-
derfer, who was born in Warwick Township, June
\3-, 1839. She is a daughter of Isaac and Elivina
(Meyer) Blickensderfer, who were of Pennsylvania
origin, and early settlers of this county. The fa-
ther died December 24, 1890, but his wife is still
living. To our subject and wife were born two
sons: Charles C, June 29. 1860; and Frank C, born
June 17, 1869. They are both enterprising young
farmers of this township. Their mother was called
to the silent land in_1875. In 1876 Mr. Winsch
wedded Sarah A. Rhoades, who was born on the
18th of June, 1851. Her parents, Josiah and Laurd
(Wheland) Rhoades, are still living, and the for-
mer is engaged in the grocery business.

Until he was twenty-five years of age, Louis L.
Winsch continued to live with his parents, and then
learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed
during the summer, teaching school in the win-
ter, until the breaking out of the war, when he en-
listed as a member of the brass band of the Fifty-
first Ohio Infantry, and for a year was stationed
principally at Nashville, Tenn. From there he
went to the eastern part of the state and on the
expiration of his term of service was honorably
discharged. Returning home, he remained there
for a short time, when he was commissioned as
First Lieutenant of Company A, One Hundred and
Sixty-first Ohio National Guards. He was sent to
the front and did service in Maryland and along
the Shenandoah Valley. In 1864 he was discharged
and once more returned North. In the following
September he was commissioned F"'irst Lieutenant



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



of Company C, One Hundred and Eighty-ninth
Ohio Infantry, and in February started witii iiis
company for Huntsviiie, Ala., where tiiey remained
until September 28, and then received their final
discharge.

Resuming his business affairs, Mr. Winsch en-
gaged in general raercliandising from the close of
the war until 1877. He then turned his attention
to farming, and operated his homestead until the
spring of 1889, since which time he has been inter-
ested in the manufacture of carpets in company
with O. L. Culberson. He dis|)lays good judgment
and sagacity in the management of his financial
affairs, and has accumulated a goodly portion of
this world's goods. In his political faith he is a
Republican, and religiously he is a member of the
Moravian denomination.



OC***+++*+****?



!•»•{"{• •{•♦•i"8"i-»-»»X>



FREDERICK SCHWEITZER is one of the
|)ioneers of York Township, wilhin the
boundaries of which he was born and still
has his place of residence. For over forty years he
has owned the old homestead, formerly the prop-
erty of his father. The place is considered one of
the (inest for general rami purposes in the coun-
ty, as the land is very rich and well impruvcd. In
all movements lia\iiig for their oiijecl the better-
ment of the pulilic and this vicinity he has liber-
ally contributed his share of both means and in-
fluence.

Our subject, the son of Morris and Annie (Han-
nekrat) Schweitzer, was born August 17, 1834.
The parents were natives of Switzerland, where
they were marrie.l in 181G. In the springof 1833
they emigrated to York Townsliii), Tuscarawas
County, and purchased the homestead which is
now operated by their sou Frederick. They were
the parents of four sons and three dauglilers, of
whom our subject is the only survivor. The others
were as follows: Gottleib, Barbara, Mortis, jMaria.
John and Rosa. The father of this family fol-



lowed the carpenter's trade for many years, and
constructed a barn in the Swiss fashion. This was
the only one of the kind in the township, and
was a great curiosity to people in this locality, as
they frequently came a distance of man}' miles
in order to view it. It was in a good state of
preservation for years after the builder had passed
from this life, but it was finally torn down in 1882.
Miiiris Schweitzer died in 18.53, at the age of
sixty years, and his wife survived him until 1871,
dying when in her seventy-fourth year. They
were devoted parents, and did everything in their
p(jwer to give their children good educational ad-
vantages and a fair stait in life. For each of his
children Morris Schweitzer purchased a farm com-
(irisiiig one hundred acres.

Frederick Schweitzer continued to live with his
parents until they were called from home by death.
He gradually assuiiicd the management and duties
of the farm RIMET S. BKNNKTT. The fine home-
rs C) stca(l owned and oreupied liy tlie subject
of tliis sUeteli is one of tlie most desirable
and attractive within the liniilsof .left'erson Tuwn-
sliii). (iiieinsey t'onnty. It is plea-^antly located

residence and farm hnildin-s of ample proportions.
Our snliject was born m Trenton, .lefterson
County, Septemlier 21, 1827, and is the son of
Peter and Jane (Stewart) P.ennett. Tiie former
was born in Ireland, in the year IT'JO. while liis
wife wa.s a native of 'I'yler County, Va., and w.as
born on Chnstnias Day. 1800. Peter was a lad of
ten years when he accompanied his parents, Pat-
rick and Catherine (KiUy) Bennett, to this



mtr'



tan



Rush
impr



Township. Tuscaraw;i> County, which they
vcd and lived upon the balance of their
lives. Tlic father of our subject's mother, John
Stewart, was also a native of the Emerald Isle, but
on iiKikinii his home in America lived in Tyler
C'ountN-. \'a.. where he met and mariicd Mary
Lakin, a native of Wales.

Peter Bennett and -lane .Stewart were united in
marriage .luly 11, 1822, and to them was born a
family of seven sons and daughters, of whom we
will make mention later on. The father of our
subject had four brothers and two sisters, namely:
Bernard. Michael, Kdward. .loliii. Uosanna and
Jlary. The clikv-t luntlier was for inaiiy years en-
gaged ill teacliiiig school, and on aliandoni ng this
occupation learned the trade of a coach-builder,
which he followed in Indiana until his decease.
Michael married Caroline I'.enesiie, of New Phila-
delphia, and lived and died in Rush Township,
Tuscarawas Countv. Kdward married Amelia,



daughter of Dr. Benes|)e, a resident of New Phila-
delphia, and the young couple soon after removed
to Coshocton County, where the husband taught
school until his decease. John made his home on
the old place in Rush Township until attaining bis
fifty-lifth year, when he moved to Knoxville, Ma-
rion County, Iowa, ill company with the widow of
his brother Kdward and her throe children.

Martin Van Buren, the eldest of these children,
entered the law otliccof Senator Neclcy, in Knox-
ville, Iowa, and after completing his studies
was elected to represent Marion County in tlie
Legislature, serving his constituents salisf.actcrily
for two terms. The Civil War being then in prog-
ress, he returned to his home in Iowa, and by
giC'ing one day's notice recruited a comjiany of
one hundred men. These volunteers were mus-
tered into service, and many of them remained on
the Held of ba'tle until the establishment of peace.
Among this number was M. V. B. Bennett, who. on
being mustered out, went to Columbus, Cherokee
('(junty, Kan., where he gave his undivided atten-
tion to the practice of his profession. For the last
six years, however, he has been lecturing on the
temperance question, and is known throughout
the States as the " K.alisas Cyclone Lecturer." Ros-
anna Bennett, the elder sister of Peter Bennett,
married Robert McDonald, and is living in Indi-
ana; Mary, the younger sister, died on the old
homestead in Rush Township.

Our subject was the third in order of birth of
the [larental household, his brothers and sisters be-
ing Byron B., William Hamilton, Charles Carroll,
Emily Catherine, Mary Jane and Rosanna E. Em-
met S., when a lad of sixteen years, began in life
for himself, working for twenty-live cents per daj'.
Even on tliese wages he saved money, which he
invested in a colt. J^ater he raised two calves,
which he traded for another colt, thus making a
team, which he liroke. It was out of the question
for him to think of buying harness for these ani-
mals, but, trading some of his possessions for a
piece of le.ithci , be, with tlie aid he received from
an uncle, made the necessary collars, etc., and re-
ceived great benetit from the use of these animals.

Our subject, after the dece.ase of his father,
worked the home farm for his widowed mother,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD



463



and on this account was only j^iven an opportu-
nity to attend scliool aslioit time eacli winter. His
mother died June 6, 18') 1, and he then purchased
the interest of tlie otiicr heirs in the lioniestead,
and two years later lirought home a wife. Tliis
lady bore the maiden name of Mary A. Rogeis,
and the ceremony which made IJicni one was cele-
brated January 9, 1853. The young couple con-
tinued to make their residence on the old place
until 1862, when Mr. Bennett purchased his pres-
ent fine estate, consisting of two hundred and
twenty acres.

Of the seven children born to Emmet S. and
Mary A. Bennett, Thomas T., the eldest, born Oc-
tober 22, 1850, married, in 1876, Miss Martha
Warue, daughter of Jonathan and Ann (Smith)
Warne, of Centre Township, and their family com-
prises six sons: Charles D., Erank J., Robert C,
James O., Otto L. and Emmet 1. Emma J., the
next child, was born October 7. 1853, and in 1875
married William A. Allender, by whom she has
two children, Hattio L. and Emmet W. Virginia
E., wiio was born April 22, 1855, was married to
John C. Hines in 1878, and has six children, Will-
iam W., Anna M., James T., Nancy E., Emmet O.
and Corwin H. Emmet C. was born September
24, 1857, and married Miss PhcL'be Johnson, March
9, 1893. Mary E., whose birtli occurred March 22,
1860, in November, 1882, married James M.
Armstrong, whose sketch will be found elsewhere
in this volume. She has three children, Clarence
M., Bertha M. and Fred A. William P., born
March 31, 1862, married Miss Mary B., daughter
of Henry and Catherine (Hill) Booth, and has
three children, Mary C, Dorothy A. and Edwin E.
Hattie, the youngest child of our subject, was
born Februai-y 12, 1864, and died August 24,
1872.

Mrs. Mary A. Bennett departed this life Janu-
uary 22, 1867, and the lady wiiojn our sul)jcct
chose for his second companion was Nancy, young-
est daughter of Jonathan and iMarllia (Lieuzader)
Warne. This lady was liorn on the hoineslead of
her parents, April 11, 1828, and was niarncd to
Mr. Bennett March 12, 1868. In April, 1883, they
took into their hearts and home Ann I\I., the
daughter of Enoch and Margaret (Frame) Jones,



then ten jcars of age. They have given her g(>o born in 17l."i, and
died in 1H(12. The bitter was born in 1717. and
died in 1S25. Their son .Tneub II. was one of the
early .-.ettU'is of ( J ueiii.ey. where he followed agri-
cultui.il pnisuits. and at the same time carried on

life remained untarnished, and he rejoiced in the
respect of a large circle of friends. He was born



in 1781, and died in 1853, while his wife, Ann
(lleald) Cregg, born in 1 7'J 1, survived until 1858.
The maternal grandfather of our subject, Henry
Morris, a son of .lonatlian IMorris, was born in
1800, and died in 1875. He wa.s a lineal descend-
ant of Robert Morris, the Revolutionary financier.
His wife, prior to her marriage Tacy Watson, was
born in 1803, and died in 1876.

To Abraham and Elizabeth (.Morris) Gregg there
weie born six cliildren, of whom Jonathan atid
.lames arc deceased. The former was born in 1851,
and died in 1855; the latter, who w.as born in 1854,
also died in 1855. Nancy .lane, who was born in
1856, IS the wife of Herman A. Williams, a well-
to-do farmer of Seneca Township, Noble County,
this state, who traces his ancestry back to Roger
Williams. Henry Morris, the next, who was born
in 1861, was married to Clementine Larrick, and
was engaged in teaching school. He resides In
Buffalo Township, Noble County. Wilson, wli6
was born ,Iune 18, 1865, and is a twin of Watson
Hamlin, is a farmer of Buffalo Township.

The original of this sketch, who has made nis
way since fourteen jx'ars old, was reared to man-
hood on his fathei/s farm in his native county,
and received the rudiments of his education in the
district school. Being desirous ani-l ambitious'to
gain a good education, and his father being unable
to pay his college expenses. Mr. Gregg taught
school in the country districts for a time, thus earn-
ing the wherewithal to pay his tuition. He com-
pleted the classical course in the Ohio Normal
University in 1893. He would teach and go to
school alternately, taking German, French, Latin
and Greek. In 1888 he began teaching at Cald-
well. He remained there for three years, and in
the fall of 181)1 was engaged by the School Board
of this city to take charge of the schools, which
position he is now lilling in a very acceptable and
praiseworthy ni.aiiner. He is the |)Ossessor of a
life certificate from the State Board of School Ex-
aminers.

Professor (iregg was married, September 14,1893,
to Miss Hattie, daughter of Thomas M. Johnson,
whose sketch will be found elsewhere in this vol-
ume. Their union has resulted in the birth of a
daughter, Helen, born June 27, 1894. The Pro-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



465



fessor is a member in good standing of the Meth-
odist Episcopal Church, while his wife worships
with the Disciples. In social affairs he is a Knight
of Pythias, belonging to Quaker City Lodge No.
310, of which he is Past Chancellor, and is also
connected with Lodge No. 459, V. & A. M., of Cald-
well. Although never an aspirant for public of-
fice of any kind, he never fails to use Ins influence
for the good of the community, and in national
affairs is a Republican. He was Schoor Examiner
for Noble County during liis residence there for
two years, beginning in 1888.



[email protected]^©l



JACOB J. KLEIN, a native of Germany, has
been for the past eleven years Superintend-
ent of the Ridgway Burton Company, of
Mineral Point. He is one of the incorpora-
tors and Directors in the bank of this place; helped
to organize, and is now Vice-President of, the Min-
eral City Supply Company, and has been connect-
ed with various other important local concerns.
He has served as a member of the School Boaid,
and has been a Councilman for two terms. He is
a leader in the ranks of the Republican party,
though lie has never held office to any extent.

The grandfather of J. J. Klein bore the Chris-
tian name of Conrad. He was born in the king-



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 63 of 83)