Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 67 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 67 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


since which time he has given his attention strictly
to his own business interests. In connection with
his mercantile trade he owns and operates a large
farm, to which he gives much of his personal time
and attention. Mr. Smith is what may be termed
a self-made business man. Having had to look out
for himself since a mere lad, he has fought his own
way onward and upward, and to-day stands num-
bered among the best business men and honored
citizens of Tuscarawas Countj'.

Sociiilly our subject is identified with the Ma-
sonic order, being a member of Lone Star Lodge,
Nugen Chapter, and Mt. Vernon Commandery
at Columbus, Ohio. Politically he is a stanch



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



483



Democrat, and takes a deep interest in the success
of his party. He was elected to the Ohio Legisla-
ture in 1869 and 187 L Foi- twelve years he has
been a member of the Board of Education, and was
President of the Board for nine years. He is a
man whose entire course of life has been in every
respect honorable, upright and conscientious, and
he is justly entitled to the respect and esteem in
which he is held.



'iiS-



'^m-r'^



JAMES W. KEPLINGER. A native of Tus-
carawas County, our subject was born May
17, 1859, to Jacob and Annie (Myers) Kep-
linger. The mother was formerly the wife of
George Richart. Jacob Keplinger, who is now de-
ceased, was a native of Franklin Countj-, Va., his
birth occurring March 15, 1817. He was the second
son of Joseph and Catherine (Snyder) Keplinger,
and was educated in his native state, whence he
came in 1837 to this county. His parents also
made the removal hither in tiiat year, locating on
a farm in Dover Township, where they were en-
gaged in general farming until tlieir decease.

Jacob Keplinger was twice married. His first
union, which was celebrated with a Miss Lower, re-
sulted in the birth of four cliildren, namely:
Joseph S., living in Dover Township; Mary M.,
now deceased; John H., who also makes his home
in the above township, where he is a farmer; and
Aaron, living in Columbus. Ou the decease of
his first wife, the father married Mrs. Richart,
and to them were born Sarah, now the wife of
Jonathan Davidson, of Dover Township; and the
original of this sketch.

James W. acquired his primary- education in the
schools near his home, supplementing the knowl-
edge gained tlierein by a course at a university at
Ada. He afterward returned home and assisted in
the work on the farm until attaining his twenty^
ninth year, when he began teaching school, follow-
ing this occupation for a year. In 1890 he dis-



posed of his farm, including twenty-two and one-
half acres, and two years tiiercaftcr sold out liis
property in Daviess County, Ind.. comprising fif-
ty-five acres.

In 1890 our subject moved to Winfield and es-
tablished a general merchandise business, in which
he is still engaged. His store is well stocked with
a large variety of goods, suited for both the city
and country household, and his trade extends over
a large territory.

When ready to take unto himself a wife, Mr.
Keplinger was married, September 23, 1880, to Miss
Mary E., daughter of Rev. D. and Margaret (Wal-
ters) Arbaugh. She was born January 4, 1861,
and by her union with our subject has become the
mother of four children, one of whom died in in-
fancy. Waldo H. was born January 25, 1885,
and died March 20, 1892; Homer H. was born
November 28, 1888; and Milo M. November 14,
1890. Both Mr. and Mrs. Keplinger are members
of the United Brethren Church, of which the lat-
ter's father is pastor.

Socially our subject belongs to AVinfield Tent
No. 15, Order of the Maccabees, and also holds
membersiiip with the Grange. He is a strong Re-
publican in politics, and cast his first Presidential
vote for James A. Garfield.



l^^l



THEODORE R. LEINS was born in Sandy
Township, April 7, 1854, and is still living
within its boundaries. In the fall of 1893
he located on his present homestead, wliich com-
prises one hundred and sixty acres, located on sec-
tion 7. Both he and his estimable wife are hon-
ored and respected citizens in the community
where they dwell, and with the history of which
both they and their parents' families have been
prominently connected.

Joseph and ftlagdalene (Robart) Leins, the par-
ents of our subject, were natives of Wurtemberg,
Germany, and Bishwcller, Alsace, respectively.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



The former was one of five children, the others
beingSebastian,Charles, Helen and Rose. In 1832
Joseph Leins emigrated to the United States and
located at Zoar, this state, where he worked for
eight years at his trade of a shoemaker. In 1840
he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, sit-
uated two miles east of Mineral Point. This he
cleared and improved with good buildings, greatly
increasing its value. He had landed in the United
States with $800 or $1,000, but at the time of his
death owned three hundred and forty acres and
he had besides given to a daughter a tract of sixty
acres. He was born in the year 1806, and died
.September 27, 1876. Though reared in the faith
of the Roman Catholic Church, he became a Luth-
eran after coming to this country. Before the war
he was a Democrat, but afterward supported the
Republican party. October 10, 1840, he was mar-
ried to Miss Robart, who bore him seven children,
two of whom died in childhood. Those surviv-
ing are Sophia, who became the wife of George
Meyers, of Canton; Louisa, Mrs. John Sattler; Will-
iam, who married Paulina Lebold; our subject;
and Simon, who is unmarried. The mother was
the daughter of Abraham Robart, a speculator and
manufacturer of hemp and ropes. His wife was
in girlhood Catherine Shustcr, and their three chil-
dren were Abraham, Catherine and Mrs. Leins.
The latter was born September 16, 1816, and re-
ceived a good German education. In 1840 she set
sail for the United States and landed in New York
City after a voyage of sixty-six days. She came
direct to Zoar, where she has since resided. She
has been a member of the Reformed Church from
the time she was fourteen years of age.

Theodore R. Leins was born and reared on a
farm, and remained at home until he reached his
majority. He received only a district-school edu-
cation, but he became well informed through his
reading and experience in the world. In 1875 he
began farming on his own account, and in 1881, in
company with a brother, bought the old homestead.
As his share he took one hundred and twenty acres,
arid this property he still owns, having since added
fifty acres more. He has placed valuable improve-
ments on the farm and thus increased its desira-
bility in the market. In the fall of 1893 he re-



moved to his present home, which is situated on a
farm comprising a quarter-section of land, which
was inherited by his wife from her father's estate.
February 8, 1886, Mr. Leins married Lizzie,
daughter of John and Catherine (Maurer) Lebold.
Two children have come to grace their union,
namely: Nora Estella and Maggie Florence. When
seventeen years of age Mr. Leins joined the Luth-
eran Church, with which denomination his wife be-
came indentified when in her fifteenth year. They
are both now active workers in the Reformed
Church, and are honored and respected by all who
have the pleasure of their acquaintance.









D



AVID McBRIDE. The gentleman whose
name introduces this sketch belongs to a
family that has taken au active part in
the progress of this section. He now resides on a
farm in Adams Township, Guernsey Oountj", which
yields a goodly amount of both cereals and fruit.
Mr. McBride was born in County Antrim, Ire-
land, November 5, 1827, and is the son of Thomas
and Agnes (Green) McBride, also natives of the
Emerald Isle. They set sail for America in 1849,
locating after their arrival here on rented [)roper-
ty near the city of Pittsburg. This Thomas Mc-
Bride farmed for a twelvemonth, when the rec-
ord states that he removed to Jackson Township,
Guernsey County, Ohio, and there became the pro-
prietor of a good property. This he sold about
1853, and bought a farm in Cambridge Township,
on which he was living at the time of his death, in
1861, aged seventy-five years. His good wife pre-
ceded him to the land beyond, dying in 1860. She
reared a family of twelve children, of whom
Thomas B. died in Ireland in 1873. Elizabeth be-
came the wife of Benjamin Green, and is now liv-
irg in Cambridge; her husband was in the service
of the Government for four years during the late



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD,



485



war as an aitilleiyman. James went from Ire-
land to the AVest Indies, and died near Antigo.
John left home in 1844, and spent six years in the
West Indies, after which he came to America, and
is now engaged in farming in this county. He too
served as a soldier in the Civil War. Our subject
was the next in order of birth. Martha is the
widow of John Russell, and is living in Pittsburg.
Sarah makes her home in this county with her sis-
ter Margaret, who is tlie wife of David McCourt.
Mary married John McCourt, and resides in this
county. William and the next son, also named
William, are deceased; as is also Agnes, the young-
est member of the household. Thomas B., the first-
named son, served in the British navy for over
thirty years, and used to relate how during that
country's encounters with China the ignorant
Chinese would run to examine the shells which
were thrown from the vessels, and of course were
killed when they exploded. .

Our subject was a lad of seventeen when he ac-
companied his brothers on their trip to the West
Indies, and was given a position to work in a
sugar factory. Taking sick soon afterward, he de-
sired to return hoine, and as he had no money, se-
cured a position as steward on a vessel bound for
New York, whore he boarded another ship which
conveyed him to Ireland. The voyage was a very
long and stormy one, consuming six months. On
arriving home, young David attended school for a
year, when the family emigrated to America, and
he accompanied them.

On the 1st of September, 1857, our subject was
married to Margaret A. Ramsey, and to them
was born a family of tiiirteen cliildren, of whom
we give the following: Agnes died in the year
1887; Martha is the wife of George Kirk, and
resides in Canal Lewisville, Cosliocton County,
this stale; Thomas B. makes his home in this
county; Emma L. malried H. Mooreliead, and is
now deceased; Joseph W. makes his home in Cam-
bridge, where he is employed by the Iron RooGng
Company; U. S. G. is an employe in the coal
mines of this county; and David E., Ramsey A.,
James L. W. and Charles R. arc at home. Three
died in infancy unnamed.

In politics Mr. McBride is a true-blue Repub-
23



lican, and as a Grand Army man does all he can
to make the post one of interest. In religious
matters he is a consistent member of the United
Presbyterian Church, among whofe members he is
highly regarded.



■mm



>^^^



JOHN OGIER, whose accidental death, Janu-
ary 13, 1891, was a great shock to the com-
munity, was long one of the enterprising
business men of Cambridge, and was born
only a mile and a-half north of this city August 8,
1826. Among his most prominent characteristics
were integrity, fidelity and sincerity of word and
deed. For thirty-four years he was one of the
most faithful members in the Methodist Episcopal
Church, and took a most active interest in its wel-
fare and progress.

The parents of John Ogier were Thomas and
Rachel (Marguand) Ogier. The former was a na-
tive of the Isle of Guernsey and one of the pio-
neers of this county, he having settled on Cam-
bridge as early as 1810. He was an agriculturist
by occupation, and for many years was a Notary
Public.

The boyhood days of John Ogier were passed in
farming and in striving to gain a fair education
in the poorly conducted schools of that day. On
arriving at man's estate he married Catherine
Kneeland, and their son Charles died in early
childhood. The mother was called to her final rest
in June, 1882. Subsequently Mr. Ogier married
Sarepta, daughter of Lloyd L. and Mary L. Bon-
nell, the latter of whom bore the maiden name of
Sarchet. The Bonnell family was originally from
Virginia. Mrs. Sarepta Ogier was born July 16,
1848, in Cambridge, and was married October 15,
1884. To herself and husband was born one child,
Thomas, September 17,1885.

The circumstances under which John Ogier met
his death were a little peculiar. While he was as-



486



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



sisting to load a wajron of lumber at the Cam-
bridge Planing-mill the tliiec -o'clock train came
tliuiulei-iiig by, frigliteiiing iiis liorscs, wliicli ran
away. In liis efforts to control tiiuni lie was
tiirown to \.ho ground, tlic wagon passing over his
body. Tiiougli he was cut and bruised about the
liead .and slioulders, his most serious injuries were
prol)ably internal onesi lie was picked up and
carried to tiie residence of a brotlier-in-law, wlicrc
lie expired in a few niomenls. He w.as a man of
few words, but when lie did speak it was to the
point, and his judgment was generally reliable.
He never antagonized his fellows, was a respecter
of authority and pre-eminently a man of peace.



T7> L M E K S. SLUTTS. The gentleman to
l^ C^ whom we call the attention of our readers
is one of the prominent and influential
young farmers of Fairfield Township, where he
operates an excellent estate, all well improved.
He is a thorough tiller of the soil, having been
reared to that occupation on the place where he is
at present residing, on section 4. He w.as liorn Feb-
ruary 1, 1866, and is the son of .Samuel and Ann
(Fromm) Slutts.

Grandfather John Slutts was also a native of
Fairfield Township, .and was born April 14, 1808.
He in turn was descended from William Slutts,
whose birthplace was Maryland. His parents, who
resided in Maryland in early life, moved to Ohio
in an early daj'.

When ready to begin life for himself William
Slutts entered from the Government the southwest
quarter of section 3, Tuscarawas Count}', improv-
ing it and making it his abiding-place until his
decease, which occurred on the 22d of April, 1845,
at the age of (ifty-nine years. He added lo his
acreage as time progressed and his means allowed,
until he was tlie proud possessor of eight iiundred
acres of the finest land in the county. Alike de-
voted to public and private interests, his career as
a citizen and farmer was one of which he and his
may ever be |)roud. He was a Whig in politics.



and filled many of the responsible offlces of the
township. His wife, who prior to her marriage was
Dehoiiili Cordon, was born in Jefferson County, and
became the in.'ther of thirteen children. Those
who grew to mature years were: John; Cyrus, who
died in Kddyville, Iowa; Theopolis, residing in
Kirkville, Wapello County, Iowa; Mary, who mar-
ried Joseph Ross and died April 18, 1845; Phebe,
who married Joseph Kollar; Jane, formerly the
wife of Joseph Kiiiesly, and who departed this life
in May, 1887; Deborah, who married Fred Reed,
and died .June 25, 1861; and Lavina.Mrs. William
Reed, who makes her home in Missouri.

The grandfather of our subject was reared to
mature years in his native county, where he was
married and began life for himself as a renter.
Later he was enabled to purchase one hundred and
eighty acres, on which he was residing at the time
of his decease, in 1842. He was a Whig in politics,
and an active member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, which he aided to organize in this local-
ity. He was married to Abigail Reeves, who was
born in Fairfield Township, October 25, 1808. She
was the daughter of Aaron and Mary (Mclntyre)
Reeves, and her union with (Grandfather Slutts
w.as celebrated April 24, 1828. She became the
mother of six children, of whom Samuel was borij
March 28, 1830; Worthington, May 21, 1832;
Margaret, June 28, 1834; Abigail, May 21, 1841.
Margaret married Joseph Collins, and Abigail be-
came the wife of Henry Rucy and on his death
married J. C. Huskiik.

The fatlier (jf our subject was born in the home
which is now in the possession of Elmer S. He
added many improvements to the place and w.as
recognized as one of the well-to-do farmers of the
township. He died one month prior to the birth
of our subject, his death resulting from an .accident
while hauling logs. He was a liberal supporter
and member of the Methodist Church, and in poli-
tics alwiiys voted for Republican candidates. His
sympathies were with the Union cause during the
late war, and although not permitted to serve his
country on the battlefield heaided his neighbors in
hiring substitutes.

The parents of our subject were married August
27, 1863, and to thein were born two children,



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



487



of whom Flora, the elder, was born July 30, 1864,
and died May 28, 1885. The wife and mother, who
still survives, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany,
May 28, 1842, and was tiie daughter of Martin and
Catiienne (Markley) Fromm, natives of Stuttgart.
The former was a weaver by trade, and died in
1843, leaving a widow and two children: Ann, and
Rosana, now the wife of Lewis Stanford, of Clay
County, 111. In May, i850, after a stormy voyage
of two months, Mrs. Slutts landed in New York,
whence she came by canal and laketoZoar Station.
She received a good education in the English
schools, and was given a liome with Thomas Will-
iams, of that place. Although reared in the faith
of the United Brethren Church she joined the Meth-
odist denomination in 18C3, and has ever since been
a regular attendant at its services. Since the death'
of her husband she has lieen engaged in keeping
boarders in Zoar Station, wliich place was platted
by Samuel Slutts and his brother Worthington in
1854, at which time the Cleveland & Pittsburg
Railroad was built. The original of this sketch is
a well informed young man and liis manner is
genial and friendly. In polities he is a Repub-
lican.



JOSEPH S. HELMICK has been prominently
identified with tlie upbuilding and develop-
ment of Tuscarawas County, where he has
dwelt for about fifty-five jears. He owns a
well cultivated and highly improved farm on sec-
tion 24, York Township. For a period of six
years he acted in the capacity of School Director,
but with that single exception lias never been in-
duced to accept office of any description. In
manner he is unassuming, but genial, and readily
makes and retains friends. In the Lutheran Con-
gregation he is a valued worker and member, and
for upward of fifteen years has acted as eitlicr
Deacon or Elder.

The parents of our subject, Joseph and Anna
(Strayer) Helmick, were both natives of Pennsyl-
vania. They came to this county at an early day



and were numbered among its sturdy pioneers.
Their home was for many years, and up to tlieir
death, on the farm now operated by their son Jo-
seph. The father, who was horn in 1817, died at
tiie age of seventy-five years, and his wife, who
was born in the year 1820, also lived to reach
the age of seventy-five. Their eiglit sons and
three daughters are as follows: William and John,
deceased; Samuel, who is now in tlie West; An-
drew and Mary A., deceased; Elizabeth, wife of
C. D. Carnes, a retired shoemaker of North Cum-
berland, tins county; Isaac J., Deputy Marshal at
New Pliiladelpliia; Jacob, deceased, and formerly
an attorney and banker; Racliel, deceased; James,
who is a miner and resident of New Philadelphia;
and our subject. The eldest son, William, was for
two terras Representative of this district in the
State Legislature and was a man of unusual abil-
ity. For many years Joseph Helmick, Sr., was
Township Trustee, and in the Lutheran Church to
which he belonged was a Deacon and Elder for a
long period.

Joseph S. Helmick was born April 10, 1837, and
lived with his parents until reaching his major-
ity. His first business venture was in renting the
homestead, where he was born and reared, and
here he still resides. This place he cultivated for
seven years and then rented another farm in this
count}-, but at the expiration of four years gave
up that place and returned to purchase and oc-
cupy the old farm. This place, which comprises
seventy-eight and a-half acres, is all kept under
good cultivation and has substantial fences and
buildings upon it.

In 1857 Mr. Helmick was united in marriage
with Miss Susan Mathias. The lady was born in
this county in 1840 to Adam and Elizabeth (At-
tick) Mathias. Of their other children, Lucinda
is deceased. John B. is a merchant of New Phila-
delphia. Rosa A. is the wife of A. Shaw, a real-
estate man in Colorado. Emanuel is engaged in
farming in York Township. James also operates
a farm in tliis townsiup. Daniel and Rebecca are
deceased. Mary J. is the wife of H. McMerter, a
farmer near New Philadelphia; and Ellen is the
wife of A. Stermer, of New Philadelphia.

The marriage of Joseph S. and Susan Helmick



488



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



lias been graced with two sons. Emmet M., who
was born in 1859, is a prominent farmer of York
Township. AVillis E., a college graduate, was a
successful school teacher for three years, but is now
in the real-estate business at Zanesville, Ohio. In
1891 he married Mamie Watterman, who died a
year and a-half later, leaving a little daughter,
who is the particular pet Und pride of her grand-
parents, in whose family she is now living. 1\)-
litically Mr. Helmick supports the Republican
party.

■ • ^ P •



r~y EORGE J. MARKLEY. This gentleman
Vlf needs no introduction to our readers, as
he is one of the most influential and prom-
inent residents of Tuscarawas County. He makes
his home at the present time in Mineral Point,
where, January 1, 1887, he opened a general store,
which he has conducted in connection with his
other extensive interests. Two years after coming
here he bought the Davis Mine, which he works
with the aid of about forty men. In 1891 he
organized, and became Vice-President and Super-
intendent of, the Ohio Coal Mining Company, also
organized the Cisco Mining Company in Guernsey
County, of which he has been one of tlie large
stockholders since.

In 1892 Mr. Markley erected a substantial store-
room, which he stocked with abont $11,000 worth
of goods. This was destroyed by fire sixty days
later, and as soon as he could get his affairs settled
up he rebuilt it, and has conducted the same ever
since. The same year he made an addition to
Point Pleasant, Guernsey County, and in many
other ways is interested and has been instrumental
in the growth of that section of the county. Our
subject is Vice-President and one of the organizers
of the People's Deposit Bank; founder and Pres-
ident of the Trescott Packing Company, and also
holds the same position with the American Fire
Brick and Clay Company. This last enterprise,
which was established in 1895, employs about fifty
men, and owns its own coal and clay lands, from



which material are manufactured all varieties of
house and furnace bricks.

George J. Markley was born in Sandy Township,
this county,. July 22, 1854, to John L. and AnnaM.
(Epler) Markley, natives of Germany. The father
was born in Wurteinberg, and after his marriage
with Miss Epler, and the birth of three of their
children, came to the United States. Tliis was in
thejear 1851, and after a tedious voyage of six
weeks tiiey reached the shores of the New World.
Continuing tlieir westward journey to Ohio, they
made a home in Sandy Township. The first work
in which the father was engaged was as a black-
smith in the employ of a railroad company. He
later ran a shop at Mineral Point, but in 1874
moved with his family to Clair County, Mich., and
tlicie became tiie owner of eighty acres of land on
which the town of Clair stands. He died there
in the fall of 1892, aged seventy years. He was a
Democrat in politics, and a member in good stand-
ing of the Evangelical Church. His widow still
survives. She became the mother of eleven chil-
dren, of whom seven grew to mature years.

Our subject was born and reared in Mineral
Point. His education was carried on in the public
schools, which he was permitted to attend until he
could be of assistance to his father.. One year,
prior to reaching iiis majority he purchased iiis time
of his father, paying him S350. When a lad of
ten years he entered the mines, and was employed
in following this occupation at different places un-
til the year 1880, when he leased a coal mine,
which he operated for two years. At the end of



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 67 of 83)