Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 68 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 68 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


that time he opened a general store with Allen D.
Black, with whom he remained for two j-ears. He
then contracted for mining iron ore at Wolf
Station, but after a year and a-half leturned to
Mineral Point. and for the following twelvemonth
was engaged in the real-estate business. In Jan-
uary, 1887, he opened a store of general merchan-
dise, as we have stated in the opening of this
sketcii.

Mr. Markley owns one hundred and forty-one
acres of land, one and one-half miles from the vil-
lage, which he mines. The property on whicli he
resides contains twenty-eight acres, and in addi-
tion to this he is the possessor of the thirty-two



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



489



acres of ground on which are located the Pierce
Furniture Company's buildings. They failed to
occupy them after their erection, and Mr. Markley
purchased them to carry on various manufactures
in which he is engaged.

Our subject is a liberal contributor to churches,
and all worthy movements. He is a charter mem-
ber of the Knights of Pythias, and is one of the
most popular residents of the county. For six
years he was .igent of the Adams Express Company,
and in October, 1893, was appointed Postmaster
of this place. For six years he has been Treasurer
of tlie village, and for the same length of time
was Constable on the Democratic ticket.



ISAAC BEABER has the honor of being one of
the oldest surviving pioneers of the early
days of Tuscarawas County. For about sixty-
seven years lie has resided on thesarae farm, which
is situated on section G, York Township. The log
cabin which was a shelter in his early married life
gave place to a substantial structure in 1858, and
in this residence lie has since made his home. In
every sense of tlie word Mr. Bcaber is self-made
and self-educated. Though he never attended
school for a day, lie taught himself to read and
write, and through liis own individual efforts lias
become well informed and convers.ant C)n leading
topics of interest and practical niatteis.

The parents of our subject were Ciiristiaii and
Peggie Beaber, who were born in Pliiladelpliia,
Pa. Their parents were very early settlers of the
Quaker City, and there continued to reside until
death. In 1801 was celebrated the m;irriage of
Christian Beaber and wife, in Pliiladeli)hia. In
1809 they came to York Township., where they
leased a farm for seven years. Later they occu-
pied Government land for three years, and finally
removed to the farm now owned by our subject.
Here they lived for ten years, and here occurred
the death of the father at the age of sixty-two
years. His widow went to Iowa, where she located



near her son David, and in that vicinity she dwelt
for upwards of thirty years. Her last days were
spent with her son Jacob, who was engaged in
farming in Iowa. In 1884, at his home, occurred
her death at the advanced age of uinety-five j'cars.
Her six children were as follows: Abraham and
Mary, deceased; Isaac; Jacob, whose home is in
Iowa; and Henry and David, residents of Indiana.

The birth of Isaac Beaber occurred in Pennsyl-
vania in 1806. He remained witli his parents un-
til he reached his majority, and was of great assist-
ance to them on their uncultivated and slightly
improved farm. In 1827 he removed to a farm of
two hundred acres, for which he had put in a
claim. He built a log cabin, and in this lived for
four years. It was then destroyed by fire, owing
to the carelessness of his little son, Solomon, who.
had been playing with the forbidden attraction.
Sixty acres of this land contains fine coal, and this
mineral wealth adds greatlj' to the value of tiie
place, which is now under good cultivation In
early days Mr. Beaber was quite a hunter, and
often killed deer and other wild game in the vicin-
ity of his present home. For years he bore the
reputation of being one of the best shots in tiie
county, and certainly his aim rarely failed of its
mark.

In 18.32 Mr. Beaher married Elizabeth Tnidel.
Her parents, Sullivan and Elizabeth Trudel, na-
tives of Somerset County, Pa., came to this county
in 1832. Mrs. Beaber, who is one of seven chil-
dren, by her marriage became the mother of seven
sons and two daughters. The}' were as follows:
Susan, Mrs. John Faulder; Solomon; Peter; John,
deceased; Elizabeth; Isaac; David, deceased; and
Henry and William. Mrs. Beaber, a most esti-
mable lad}-, has long been famous in this neighbor-
hood as a fine nurse, and when any of lier friends
and acquaintances have sickness in the family, she
is called upon for advice and .assistance, which she
rarely refuses and never if within her power.

In his religious faitli Mr. Beaber is a Lutheran,
and when the corner-stone of the churcli which lie i
now attends was put in place, he was the only one
attending the exercises to deposit coins in tiie re-
ceptacle, as is customary. In addition to the more
ordinary coins, a dollar piece, a fifty-cent piece



490



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



and a quarter, was one of twelve cents and a six-
penny piece. At the New Pliiladelphia Street Fair,
Mr. Beaber took the premium for his old-time
spinning-wheel, which would be a treasure to the
relic-seeker. Politically our subject votes with
the Democratic party.



=^^!#^il-^-i^»^N€



JOHN OFFHOLDER is a gardener, stonemason
and brick manufacturer of Goshen Town-
ship. His homestead adjoins New Philadel-
phia, and on his place is located his brick
manufactory. In 1877 he bought thirteen acres of
land, on which he erected ft substantial dwelling,
in which he at once took up his abode and in
which he has since dwelt.

The birth of our subject occurred October 14,
1841, in Switzerland. His parents were Stephen
and Elizabeth Offholder, natives of Germany, in
wliicli country their marriage was celebrated in
1838. For over a quarter of a century thereafter
tiiey continued to make their home in their native
laud, but in 1866 determined to try tlieir fortune
in America. Crossing tiie Atlantic.' they arrived
in New York City, where they remained for a short
time. Later they proceeded to Pittsburg. Pa., and
fur two \ears engaged in cultivating a rented
farm near liiat city. At tlie end of tiiat time tiiey
went to Pa:ker>burg, W. Va., wliere they bouglit
a homestead of one iiunthed and sixt^ acres. They
resided there until death put an end to their la-
bors. The fattier was horn in 1814, and died Feb-
ruary 6, 1894, while his wife, who was born in
1811, died in 1884. Their four children are as
follows: Fred, who still conducts the old home-
stead; John, our subject; Jacob; and Lizzie, wife
of George Brown, of West Virginia.

John Offholder passed his boyliood and youth
at the home of his parents. He continued to live
with them until he had readied the age of twenty-
seven years, when he started out to "iiaddle his
own canoe." Very soon afterward he landed in



New Philadelphia, where he worked at his trade of
a stonemason for thirteen years. In 1877, as above
mentioned, he bought thirteen acres of land, the
place on which he still makes his home, and since
that time he has built up a lucrative trade in va-
rious kinds of brick supplies. He is a business
man of good ability, and, though he started in
life empty-handed, he has made a good living for
his family by means of honest. Industrious efforts.
In 1872 John Offholder married Miss Annie
Ranch, who is a native of Switzerland. Her par-
ents, Jacob and Annie Rauch, were also natives of
a German-Swiss province, and had a family of
seven children. To our subject and his worthy
wife have been born four sons and three daugh-
ters. John II., the eldest, is in New Philadel-
phia, but the others, Charles, Frank, Ella, Her-
man, Annie and Lizzie, live at home. Mr. and
Mrs. Offholder are members of the German Church.
They are kind-hearted and charitable, ready to di-
vide with the unfortunate. In politics our sub-
ject is an ally of the Democratic party.









0APT. LAFFER S. CAPLES. This gentle-
man, who is one of the honored pioneers
and prominent agriculturists of Rush
Township, Tuscarawas County, is now living re-
tired, having accumulated a goodly portion of this
world's goods. He is a native of this county, and
was born November 16, 1825. He is a son of
Robert and Nancy (Davis) Caplesj^the father born
in Baltimore County, Md., December 19, 1792,
and the mother's birth occurring in Northampton
County, Pa., January 6, 1806. They were married
in 1824, and to them were born five children, as
follows: Laffer S., Ira D., Joseph, Dorcas and
Nancy E. Robert Cajjles was the eldest son of
William and Elizabeth (Green) Caples, also natives
of Baltimore County, Md. William and his family



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



491



came to Tuscarawas County, October 6, 1806, via
Cadiz, and settled on Big Stillwater, where the
village of Newport now stands.

From Cadiz they had to open their way with
axes in order to get their wagon through, and it
took six days to make the journey of twenty-flve
miles. At this time Cadiz contained but three or
four cabins. Their nearest white neighbors on
the east were at Cadiz. On the south it was
twenty-four miles to the first settlement, on the
west five miles to Gnadcnhutten,and on the north
three miles to Mr. Uhrich's farm. Tlie latter came
from Pennsylvania in 1804.

William Caples and his eldest son, Robert,
brought their salt on pack horses from Wellsville,
on the Ohio River (fifty miles), paying at the rate
of |!16 per barrel. At that time wheat sold for
twenty-five cents per bushel, while coffee sold at
fifty cents per pound. William Caples soon entered
the one hundred and sixty acres of land on whicli
he had pitched his tent. He was an old-line Whig,
and was the first of the Caples family to espouse
Republicanism.

At this time young Robert was fourteen years
of age and soon became a favorite among the In-
dians and learned their language. The Indians
would say, "Come, Bobbie, go hunt." Robert soon
became an expert hunter, and in one liunting
season killed seventy-seven deer, besides bears,
wolves, wildcats and numerous smaller game.

In the War of 1812, young Robert volunteered
as drummer in Capt. George Richardson's company
of Ohio Militia. He lived to the ripe old age of
eight^-eiglit years, i)assing peacefully aw.a}', at iiis
old home in Mill Township, in September, 1881,
and for the last thirty years of his life owed no
man a nickel. Our subject's great great-grand-
father came from German^' and settled on the east-
ern shore of Maryland, in which state his father
was a slaveholder.

The mother of Captain Caples was the daughter
of Joshua and Hannah (Walton) Davis, nklives of
Northampton County, Pa. Tliey came to this
county in 1814, and settled in Rush Township,
where they lived during the remainder of then-
lives. It was at their home that Robert Caiiles
met and married their daughter Nancy, the mother



of our subject. Mrs. Caples is in her ninety-first
year and in reasonable health.

Our subject was reared on his father's farm in
Mill Township, and, like all the youth of the day,
obtained his education in subscription schools.
The Captain comes of good old pioneer stock.
His father having been a brave and true soldier,
he in like manner took up arms in defense of
his country during the War of the Rebellion. He
enlisted May 2, 1864, in Company E, One Hun-
dred and Sixty-first Ohio Infantry, and was elected
and commissioned Captain before going to the
front, and throughout his military career served
etflciently in that capacity in the Army of the
Potomac. The regiment was engaged most of
the time in doing guard duty. It was on the re-
serveat the battleof Winchester, and was mustered
out at Camp Chase, Ohio, in September, 1864.

Captain Caples was united in marriage, July 16,
1845, to Miss Eliza Smyth, daughter of John and
Martha (McQuaid) Smyth, natives of County
Cavan, Ireland. They emigrated to Montreal,
Canada, in 1832, and came to Ohio in 1838, set-
tling in Newport, Tuscarawas County. Mr. Smyth
was a school teacher and a stonemason, and died at
his home in Newport, at the ripe old age of ninety-
eight years. Captain Caples' wife was born Au-
gust 25, 1827. To the Captain and his wife, eight
children have been born, viz.: Mary, Alice, Olive,
Ellen, Robert M., Jane E., Clara M. and Charlie G.
The children all received good educations in the
public schools and are all married and established
in homes of their own.

Our subject has been a life-long agriculturist.
He has taught in the common schools in Illinois,
Indiana and in this county, and has traveled in
sixteen states and in Canada, but likes his native
state best. He takes pride in the fact that for
fourteen years he has not owed a dime. After
his marriage he purchased his present farm, which
has been his home for almost a half-century.
The Captain and his good wife have been mem-
bers of the Methodist Episcopal Church from
youth, the former being ordained to all the offices
in the ministry August 31, 1883, in the Church of
Christ.

Politically he is a stanch Republican, and cast



492



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



his first Presidential vote for Henry Clay. He has
been Justice of the Peace and filled various other
township offices. At one time was a candidate for
Sheriff, and at another time was a candidate for
County Surveyor-, and says lie would have been
elected both times had there not been so many
Democrats.



£)^(^



JOHN L. SiMONS. Could the biographies of
the best residents of Guernsey County be
written in detail, a large and most interest-
ing volume might be compiled. It is our
pleasure, however, to select tiie most interesting
facts in their lives and record them for the perusal
of coming generations. The gentleman witli whose
name we introduce this sketch is at present resid-
ing in the city of Cambridge, and is the proprie-
tor of the foundry on Water Street.

A native of Muskingum County, our subject
was born December 13, 1848, in Zanesville, and is
the son of John W. and Hester A. (Trago) Si-
mons, the former born in Pennsylvania Mardi 2,
1819, and the latter in Zanesville October 9, 1820.
The father in 1830 left the Keystone State, and,
coming to Ohio, located in Zanesville, where he
learned the trade of a moulder in the shops of
Adams & Wheeler. He became an expert work-
man in this particular line and remained in the
employ of the above firm for a period of nineteen
years. The following three years he worked in
the foundry of Douglas Smith, and in October,
1855, decided to come to Cambridge, where he
bought the foundry which he continued 1o run
until his death, which occurred August 2, 1871.

The parental family of our subject included
eight children, of whom Charles P. is a prominent
physician and engaged in the practice of iiis pro-
fession in Canton, this state; Chua married A. M.
Glessner,and is residing in Urbana; Ella became the
wife of Robert Hammond, and makes her home in
Cambridge; Jolin L. was the next in order of birth;
Howard T. is engaged as a dealer in real estate in



Columbus; Retta married J. H. Butler, and is also
a resident of that city, where her husband manu-
factures washing machines; Emma, the wife of
W.B.Green, died in August, 1884; Harry G. is
living at Greenfield, this state, engaged in the
drug business.

Our subject was a lad of seven years at the time
his parents located at this place. Here he was
reared to mature years, during his earlier life at-
tending the public schools. Before completing his
education he loft school and began working in
the foundry, whicli business he became thoroughly
familiar with in a short time and has continued to
follow up to the present time.

The mother of our subject was born in Zanes-
ville and was the daughter of Benjamin Trago, a
native of Ilarrisburg, Pa. Her mother, prior to
her marriage, was Hester Overs, born in one of the
Eastern States, of German parents. The brothers
and sisters of Mrs. Simons were: AV^illiani, who died
in Jackson, Ohio; Julia, who married Benjamin
Plyley; Ik'njamin, now dece;ised; Anna, Mrs. Will-
iam Tarrcns; Mary, Mrs. Tearing; PUizabeth, the
wife of Benjamin Compton; Rachel, who married
Robert McGregor; Edith, who married. John Fogle;
and Harriet, Mrs. Lowden Persel.

In religious aifairs the subject of this sketch is a
member in good standing of the Baptist Church.
He takes an active interest in all public affairs,
and during elections never fails to cast a vote in
favor of Republican canrlidates.



l^^^l



JOHN C. LONGSWORTH, Mayor of Cam-
bridge, is always in the lead in matters of
iniblic interest and vigilant in the discharge of
his official duties. He was born in Guernsey
County, Septemlier 15, 1853, to William and Julia
A. (Shepard) Longsworth, who were natives of
IMontgomery County, Md. The father was brought
to this state and county when an infant, his fa-
ther, bearing the name of Basil Longsworth, loca-
ting here in 1825. He was a farmer by occupa-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



493



tion, and became the fatlier of eleven children, of
whom Lucy, Mary and Peter are deceased.

Our subject was the only child born to his par-
ents. His mother died in 18oC, and after her
death his father married, in ISGO, Sarah A. Owens.
The subject of this sketch was given a good edu-
cation, attending the schools of Cambridge. After
completing his school career, lie learned the trade
of painter and paper-hanger. This he abandoned
in 1880, and began farming in Washington Town-
ship, where for three and a-half years he was the
owner of a good estate. He then changed his loca-
tion to Canton Townsliip, making his home there
for only a short time, when he came to Cambridge.

Mr. i^ongsworth was married, November 15,
1876, to Florence E. Lemon. To them were born
the following-named children: Florence Gertrude,
Edna May, .Julia A., Nellie ,1., Mary Louella and
Ada Lara. Socially our subject is a prominent
Mason, and in politics never fails to oast a vote
for Republican candidates. His first Presidential
vote was in favor of Rutiierford B. Hayes, and
since that time he has been intluential in the ranks
of his party. He was elected Mayor in 1894.



y^~V AURETT BASSETT is the popular and
^Tf efliuient Postmaster of New Comerstown,
and is now lilling his second term in that
office. He was born in Albany County, N. Y.,
June 16, 1827, and is the son of Nicholas and
Maria (Shafer) Bassett, also natives of the Empire
State.

The father of our subject was a farmer all liis
life. He in turn was the son of Michael Bassett,
who was a native of England. The maternal
grandfather of Mr. Bassett was born on the Allan-
tic while his parents were crossing from Germany
to America. Nicholas and Maria Bassett became
the parents of ten children, of whom we make the
following mention: Michael died in Coshocton
County, Ohio, in 1889. Ann, who died in 1891,



was the wife of John Davis. Peter died in New
York in 1892. John is living in Cosliocton Coun-
ty. Simon is a farmer in California. Catlierine
married Elijah Dooling, and died in 1886. Cor-
nelius departed this life in 1885. ' Gertrude is now
Mrs. Alonzo Sibly and lives in Illinois. Sher-
man is mining in Caldwell County, Mo.; and Gar-
rett is our subject. The family moved from the
Empire State in Coshocton County in 1834, and
here the parents died, aged respectively eighty-
eight and eighty-nine years.

Our subject was well educated, and when a lad
of seventeen years returned to his native state
and began working in the United States Arsenal at
Troy. He was there a little over a year, however,
when he resigned his position and engaged with
James Gould in the car-shops, where he worked
for five or six years. At the end of that time he
went to Cleveland, where he was similarly era-
ployed for a year, when he determined to go to
Detroit, Mich. His stay there was of short dura-
tion, and his next move found him in the World's
Fair City, where he obtained profitable employ-
ment and stayed for six years. Returning East,
he lived in New York City for one year; he later
returned to Chicago, and in 1858 located in New
Comerstown, where he opened a wagon-shop and
conducted a good business.

During the late war our subject served as a
member of Company H, One Hundred and Sev-
enty-eighth Ohio Infantry, and saw service eleven
months and twenty-three days. Me w.as mus-
tered out at the close of the war at Charlotte,
N. C, reaching home July 9, 1865. He lost no
lime after regaining his health, but went to work
in the old shop and continued without interrup-
tion until be was appointed Postmaster in 1888
under Cleveland. At the expiration of three years
he worked at his trade, until September, 1892,
when he was again called upon to serve the peo-
ple in the capacity of Postmaster.

Mr. Bassett was married. May 11, 1857, to Miss
RLaria Lacey, and to them were born eigiit ciiiidreii.
Arthur lives in California, being proprietor of a
hotel at Sacramento; Armenia is the wife of Jo-
seph Duff, of New Comerstown; Hershel also re-
sides in the aliove cly; j\Larcia is now JMis. >Vill-



494



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



iam Smalle\-, of Missouri; Peoria is tlie wife of
George Wallace, of Pennsylvania; and William and
Robert are at home. Socially our subject is a Ma-
son, and in politics is Democratic.



JOHN D. McILVAINE. The history of the
representative citizens and farmers of Tus-
carawas County would be incomplete were
the record of this worthy old settler omit-
ted. He is the owner of a good farm situated in
Goshen Township. A portion of this land con-
tains fine coal, which the owner is now engaged in
mining. Fully twenty acres of his homestead,
which altogether comprises eighty-six acres, are
known to have rich veins of coal, which will prove
a remunerative investment for the capital now em-
ployed in its extraction.

Robert Mcllvaine, our subject's father, was born
in Washington County, Pa., in April, 1795. For
his wife he chose Miss Ann Stringer, also a native
of the Keystone State. Their marriage took place
in 1813, and to them were born four children, two
sons and two daughters. Matilda, the widow of
William Mcllvaine, is now living in Washington,
Pa.; Mary J., the wife of W. H. Drury, of Wash-
ington, Pa., has been called to her final rest; Hon.
George W. Mcllvaine, formeily Judge of the Su-
preme Court, of Columbus, Ohio, is deceased; and
John D. completes the number. The lather was
a Baptist in religious belief, and politically was a
Republican.

The subject of this article was born in Washing-
ton County. Pa., October 25, 1826. His educa-
tional privileges in his youth were of a very meager
character, but in spite of this he managed by pri-
vate reading and study to become well informed
on general practical matters. To his parents he
gave his assistance as long as they lived. In 1852
Mr. Mcllvaine married Charlotte, daughter of Si-
mon and Rebecca (Giant) Wilson, the former a
native of Ireland, and the latter of Pennsylvania.
Four children came to bless their union. In the
order of birth, they are as follows: George W.,



of Goshen Township; Robert W., one of the chosen
guards in the Ohio Penitentiary at Columbus;
Jennie, the wife of J. Harvey; and Mrs. Bell
Crawford, both of



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 68 of 83)