Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 72 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 72 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Adjt.; and Hugh II. Siverd, Ser.-Maj.

Chmixvty B.

This company was mustcied in August 17, 1861,
at Camp Chase, Ohio, by Howard Stansbury, Cap-
tain, Topograiihical Engineers and a United States
army mustering ollicer. It was mustered out Sep-
tember 13, 18G5, at Hilton Head, S. C, l)y Leslie
Smith, Krevet M:ijor and Caiitam First Infantiy,
U.S. A., and C. M. D. S. C.

Capts. James Laugiilin and Hugh II. Siverd;
First Lieuls. Samuel W. Fordyce, John D. Moxley.
John W. Laughlin; Second Lieut. Kdwin L. Hall;
First Sergts. Norvell W.Taylor, Kzekiel Braddon;
Quartermaster Sergt. Robert 11. liarton; Com.
Sergt. Solomon Redd; Sergeants William McBur-
ney, Justus C. Taylor, William Roscmoiid, Will-
iam Ilaunum, John M. lirown, Martin T. Lindsey,
John W. II. Noble, Charles W. Hayes, J.ason S. CroS'
sen, William II. C. llanna and Stout 1*. Wallace;
Corporals Henry E. Bumgardncr (drowned July

6,1863), George W. Gibbs, Alexander C. Davis,
Moses B. Kennedy, George Frazier, George W.
Shaw. John II. Smith, Henry H. Garrett, James
Sills, William A. Booher, John T. Bell and Seldon
Banker; John Barklay, farrier; and privates An-
drew M. Ader, Benjamin Ader, .Samuel B, Arboth-
not, Calvin 15aker, George W. Baker, Alexander
Bates, James Bates, Robert Beaid, AVilliam Beymer,
George AV. Bowers, AVilliam Brooks, Albert SL
Brown, William D. Brumly, Thomas H. Burns,
James C. Caldwell, Francis C.Calvert, Samuel Cas-
key, Joseph Clayton, James T. Cunningham (died
March 17, 1864), William Davis, William A. Davy,
Theodore A. Decker, Thomas Diigan (died May 21,
1864, m prison at Andersouville, Ga.), Joel M.
Eaton, Thomas Errington, Jacob L. Fife, Milton
Finloy, James M. Frame, Marcus Fulton, Alexan-
der J. Gaston, Simson George, Samuel B. Gibson,
Charles Gleason, Joseph B. Jeffries (died March 19,
1864), David T. Jeffries, Ferdinand S. Johnson,
Robert V. Johnson, Samuel Johnson, Joseph B.
Kennedy, James V. Kimble (died December 18,
1861), Nathin Kimble, John A. Leeper, John A.
Lindsey, James Lister, Alexander L. Lowrey, Jo-
sei)h McCluskey, John L. McCreary (drowned April
24, 1862), John B. McCune, Alexander McMullin
(killed July 1, 1862, in action at Russellville, Ala.),
Alexander McVicker, James T. Mackey, Louis Mil-
ler, Samuel Morris, Hiram Moore, Erastus H.Nich-
olson, George W. Parker, John M. Robinson, Vin-
cent T. Rose, Joseph Shear, George M. Shipman
(died August 15, 1864), Jonathan Sills, Harrison
Skinner, Walter C. Smith, David P. Spence, Will-
iam Steel, John B. Stewart, George I. Swingle,
Daniel Taylor, George Taylor (died January 1,
18G2), David T. Terrell, John K. Thompson, George
M. Todd, Augustus II. Vansicklc, Mark E. Ward,
.Josei.h W. Watt, Ilerjchel Webster ^died Decem-
ber 26, 1863, in prison at Danville, Ya.), Stoclon
Webster and William Wharton.


This regiment was made up almost entirely in
Guernsey County. It did guard duly chiefly at
Gallipolis, Ohio. As a regiment, it was not out of
the slate.

Other regiments had representation from Giiern-



SC3' County, but a couiplctc roster lias not been

Tlie Guernsey County Monumental Association
is engaged in getting up a roll, which will doubt-
less be complete. This association is constantly
increasing in numbers. Its certiiicales are sold at
one dollar each, making the purchaser a slock-
holder in the enlcri)iisc. • It is proposed to erect a
monument at a cost of al)out $15,000 on the pub-
lic square, having on its faces the names of sol-
diers who went from Guernsey County. Hon.
Milton Turner, A. R. Biown, Rev. J. H. McFar-
land, D. D. Taylor, A. A. Taylor, Alfred AVccdon
and others arc honored names in connection with
this enterprise, and to them is due the credit of its


Guernsey County's first permanent settlements
were made about 1798. Prior 1 hereto a few squat-
ters located here and there, but removed, and left it
to Mr. Graham to become the first settler. He lo-
cated in what is now the western part of the city
of Cambridge. At the time he erected his cabin
it was the only one between Wheeling and Zaiies-
ville. In 1800 he was joined by ISIr. Beymer, from
Somerset, Pa., and he and Mr. Graham kept a house
of entertainment and a ferry for the accommoda-
tion of travelers on their way to the West. Travel
followed the Zane trace — the pathway followed
by Indian fighters under the leadership of John
Wetzel— leading from Wheeling, Va., to Chilli-
cothe, Ohio. The route was traced by Ebenezer

Among other early settlers who came in 1801,
were Zacclietis Biggs, who made a part of the sur-
vey of public lands, now in Guernsey County;
.lohn Beatty, who purchased the tavern of the
projectors in 1803; and George Metcalf, who helped
in the survey made by Biggs. Jacob Gomber,
whose daughter George IMctcalf married, and who,
by glo>Ying descriptions of the land around Cam-
bridge, persuaded others to come, was among the
first. Jacob Gomber and Zaccheus Beatty pur-

chased four thousand acres of land, on part of
which Cambridge now stands.

The survey was comiilcted in 1801, and perma-
nent settloinents were made in various i)arts of the
counly soon after. These will be found duly re-
corded in connection with the history of the vari-
ous townships.

The survey of Cambridge was made in 180;'),
and the lirst house built on the town i)lat was oc-
cu|)ied by John Beatty, father of Zaccheus, who
was the first domiciled citizen of the new village.

Zaccheus ]>eatly was granted the right to erect
a toll-bri(ige over Wills Creek, which was built in
1806. His house was enlarged and made a place
of public entertainment, called the Bridge House.
It-became a notable i)hice, and later a more pre-
tentious successor, under the management of
Thomas Stewart, was the great tavern of early d.aj's
up to the completion of the National Road, when
its glory faded away. The old hostelry stood
until the advent of the iron horse, when it was
torn down for the accommodation of the railway.

In August, 180G, there came to this county three
brothers, Thomas, John and Peter Sarchet, attend-
ed by Daniel Ferbrache, these being the first to come
hither from the island of Guernsey-. En route
they saw posters announcing lots for sale in Cam-
bridge. This fact led them to change somewhat
their intention upon leaving Baltimore, and re-
sulted in giving the name of their island home to
the counly subsequently organized. Thomas pur-
chased a couple of corner lots, and' John the three
lots oiiposite. Ui)on one of them, that of Thomas,
the second cabin in Cambridge was erected, and in
it all the (iucrnsey Islanders passed their first

In the following si)ring came James Bichard,
AV^illiain Ogicr, Thomas Noftel, Thomas Senferty
and Daniel Hubert, all heads of families; and Peter
Corbet, Peter and John Torcade, Nicholas Pod win
and John Roban, young men, all from the island
of Guernsey'. These families went into camp until
cabins were erected.

During this year and the next came Jacob Gom-
ber, Zaccheus Beatty, George Metcalf,Wyatt Hutch-
ison, George Tingle, Daniel Motter, Andrew Fer-
guson, Thomas and John McGlary, Robert Bell and


Williara Hooks, with tlieir families. With the
Beatty family came the first colored man, named

The name Cambridge was bestowed upon the
infant settlement after an old town in Maryland,
whence came several families in 1808.

The first store was opened by John and Thomas
Sarchet. Its stock included everything needed by
the pioneers, not forgetting the "real old stufif,"
which at the time was sold at three cents a drink.

The first brick house was built by John Sarchet
in 1808.

The first sawmill was that of two vScotchmen,
named Sandy and Miller.

The first place of religious worship was the
house of Thomas Sarchet, where the settlers from
the island of Guernsey held what they called
" French meeting." The services were held by
William Ogier, an ordained minister of the Meth-
odist Episcopal Church, and Thomas Sarchet, an
exhorter. From this nucleus sprang the Method-
ist Episcopal Church of Cambridge.

The first church building erected was that of the
Methodists in 1826. Prior thereto they occupied
the first court house erected in the place.

The first school was taught by John Beatt3', a
Virginian, in 1809-10.

The second teacher was a sister of Beatty, named
Sarah McClenahan; the third, John W. Kipp, au-
thor of the old "Kipp Speller."

C. P. Beatty was the first regularly appointed
Postmaster for Cambridge. A letter-box made by
him has been in general use in the postoffice from
its beginning. The postal route was from Wheel-
ing to Zanesville, and was established about 1809.
Letters were first carried by travelers passing
through. The postal rate was high and depended
upon the distance carried. If from Philadelphia
or Washington, the rate was twenty-five of thirty-
seven and one-half cents per letter. The first post-
boy to carry mail from Cambridge to Zanesville
was John Magiffen. He became a soldier in the
War of 1812, and is buried in the Cambridge Cem-

The first case tried in Cambridge was that of
Betty Pallet for stealing gold from the Sarchets and
Ferbraches, taken during the absence of the heads

of the families and hidden in a spring. Betty was
questioned as to whether she had been away, or
any person had been about the cabin. She gave
evasive answers, denying any knowledge of the
money. She was guarded during the night, and in
the morning a general search revealed the gold.
After it was found Betty acknowledged taking
and hiding it. There was no judicial officer nearer
than Zanesville. A court, of citizens was called,
Betty's confession was heard, and a verdict re-
turned that she should be whipped and sent out
of the neighborhood. Peter Sarchet was appointed
to do the whipping.

The first court house was built by Gomber &
Beatt^'. The building was brick, two stories high,
and forty feet square. Gomber & Beatty were the
principal donators, although most of the citizens
contributed. Lloyd Talbott superintended its con-
struction. It was completed and occupied in Au-
gust, 1813.

July 9, 1810, Peter Wyrick, auctioneer, let the
building of a public gaol to Andrew Marshall, the
lowest bidder, at 1500 — the gaol to be of hewed
logs, one story, with two cells, a criminal and
debtors'; the building to be completed hy the 1st
of February. January 9, 1811, Andrew Marshall
was allowed $124 to raise the gaol two stories
high, $60 to be paid by the county, the remainder
to be paid by subscription. The time was ex-
tended to April, 1811.

The first session of court held in the court
house was the August term of 181.3. The Journal
reads: "The Court of Common Pleas was held in
the court house in Cambridge, Guernsey County.
Present, Hon. William Wilson, presiding Judge;
Jacob Gomber, Robert Spears and Thomas B. Kirk,
associate Judges. The grand juiy empaneled were
Elijah Beall, foreman; Stewart Spears, Jacob Ted-
rich, Eli Bingham, John Taylor, James Gilliiand.
Wyatt Hutchison, Ezekiel Vance, William John-
ston, David Burt, Elislia Enoch and Thomas Mc

The first jury case called was the state of Ohio vs
Samuel Timraons, indicted for uttering base coin.
The following jury was called: James Thompson,
John Tidrich, James Bratton, William Pollock,
William Allen, Hugh Marti,n, Jesse Marsh, Thomas


Uohei Is, Andrew McCleaiy, George McClear^-, John
Huff and James Lloyd.

Samuel Timmons was found jjuilty in two cases
for the same offense, and was sentenced liy the
Couit to receive in one case nineteen, an(i the other
twenty, lashes on his bare back. He was publicly
whipped by P^lijah Dyson, Sheriff, at the whipping-
post in the public square. A large number of
people assembled to see the brutal enforcement of
the law. Joshua Howard was the Prosecuting At-

The first court house completed cost tiic county
the sum of $3,170.38^.

The eccentric Lorenzo Dow preached from a
slump in the public s

Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 72 of 83)