Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 73 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 73 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and hugging close to its steeper part, joined to
what is now called Pike Street, in the lower ground
to the west of the town. There seems to have
been a few log cabins scattered along East Main
Street, but as yet the place gave no signs of future
greatness. In 1831 the Friends had built a meet-
ing-house on the low hill east of the town, which
burned and was rebuilt in 1834. In 1835 the
Methodists built a log churcii on Walnut Street,
so that the place w.-is provided with two places of
worship, a schoolhouse and a mill near by. In
tiie same year Dr. E. Williams built tlie first frame
house, on East Main Street, and occupied it as a
residence. Througii his efforts, a postoffice was
established here, in a small building still standing
on East Main Street, and Jonah Smitli was ap-
pointed Postmaster. To make sure that the Post-
master should have something to do, a weekly
mail service was secured, and Dr. Williams sub-
scribed for a Philadelphia weekly paper, which
was the only one taken in the place. One, liow-
ever, was suflicient, for the whole reading popula-
tion perused it carefully in turn. Meanwhile Mr.
Smith had built a more pretentious house at the
forks of the road, and afterward sold or rented it
to James Pyles, who opened ihe first hotel in tlie
place in 1837. Mr. Smith had also been elected
Justice of the Peace, an ottice he held for fourteen
years.

The town seems to have taken a boom in 1837.
A hotel had been opened and six additional houses
built during the year. In 1839 Isaac W. Hall
started a general store in a building erected for
the purpose, a short distance west of where the
bank now stands. He opened his store for busi-
ness on election day, 1839. The population of
the United States in 1840 was 17,068,606, but what
portion of these resided in Millwood is not accur-
ately known. It was probably much less than one
hundred. The event of 1841 was the erection of



a brick house by J. Rodgers. This is the house
now occupied by B. I. Johnson. Here a Miss Sarah
Beall opened the first millinery store in Millwood,
in 1842. In 1844 came the fulling-mill andcard-
ing-machine, built by Thomas Moore. In 1845
came Richard English, the first blacksmith, who
began business where the bank building now stands,
and the same year came Dr. T. J. Romans. The
population in 1845 was about one hundred and
fifty. In 1848 James Cleves established the first
saddler-shop. March 22, 1850, Millwood was in-
corporated, and by an act of the Legislature, April
12, 1871, the name was changed to Quaker City.
Pennington Scott was elected first Mayor, and
Thomas Moore was elected second Mayor. No
record was left of the town officials from that time
until the name of the town was changed, in 1871.
In 1854 the building of the Eastern Oiiio Rail-
road gave a stimulus to the place, but from 1855
to 1870 the town kept going back. The3earl870
witnessed the arrival of Alexander Cochran. He
bought property and laid out what was known as
"Cochran's Addition" or Broadwaj'. The Chris-
tian Church erected a brick structure on Broad-
way in 1874, and Mr. Cochran built the Beecher
House, a large thiee-story hotel building, in 1875,
and also the large three-story frame building
known as the Cochran Block, corner of South Street
and Broadway. The first fair was held in 1871
and was a success. After two or three j-ears of
fairs, the town seemed to demand more room, so
the fair grounds were laid out in town lots and
Fair Street opened. The Mayors of recent years
have been: W. H. Hartley, 1871; J. C. Steel, 1872;
G. W. Arnold, 1873; J. B. Lydick, 1874 to 1884;
L. J. Heskett, 1884 to 1886; and David Scott, 1886.
Tlie Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, Masons,
Grand Army of the Republic, Sons of Veterans,
and Independent Order of Good Templars are
the secret societies.

THE CUlliCIlKS.

From the heginning this was a Quaker neighbor-
hood. The Halls planted the churcli here in the
wilderness in the beginning of the centuiy, and
they still maintain a meeting-house near tlie city,
and have a good society. The Methodists have
been here from an early day. Their [ircsent build-



522



HISTORICAL.



ing, which was erected in 1871, was dedicated
October 3 of that year, by Rev. J. C. Pershing.
It stands on the corner of Pike and Main Streets.
Tlie Christians have been here for a long time.
In 1859 they had a building in the eastern sub-
urbs of the town, which was dedicated by A. E.
Myers, of Bethany, W. Va. Tliis was abandoned
in March, 1875, for the neat brick church on the
corner of South Street and Broadway.

THE SCHOOLS.

The Quaker City schools are on a very high
plane of excellence. Prof. W. H. Gregg is Prin-
cipal, and is assisted by a thorough and painstak-
ing corps of teachers. The new scliool building
was erected in 1878, at a cost of $15,500. It con-
tains six large rooms and stands at tiie corner of
South and Fair Streets. Tlie grounds are ample.

THK NEWSPAPEn.

The Quaker City Independent was established in
1875 by J. D. Olmstead & Son. In 1882 it was
bought by its present proprietors, J. W. & A. B.
Hill, who were then tlie youngest newspaper firm
in the state. It is especially devoted to tlie inter-
ests of tlie town, and under tlie management of the
present owners it is prosperous and lias become a
permanent fixture.

THE LEATHERWOOD GOD SUPERSTITION.

The following is an account of the appearance
and pretensions of Joseph C. Dylks in Guernsey
County in 1828. Religious impostors have flour-
ished in .almost every portion of the historic period,
and these religious cheats have always found ready
subjects. Such an impostor was Joseph C. Dylks,
whose advent, teachings, etc., are here truthfully
rehearsed:

In August, 1828, a camp-meeting was held on
the land of one Casper Overley, two and a-half
miles north of Salesville, in the vicinity of the
Methodist Episcopal Chapel, called Miller's Meet-
ing-house, under the auspices of the United Breth-
ren Church. On Sunday the attendance was yaty
large. The Rev. John Crum, Presiding Elder, ad-
dressed the congregation at the afternoon service.
He had proceeded half-way in his discourse, and
had the entire attention of his audience, when



during a solemn silence a tremendous voice shout-
ed, "Salvation!" followed instantl}' by a strange
sound, likened by all who heard it to the snort of
a frightened horse. The minister was taken by
surprise and stopped preaching. All eyes were
turned to the spot whence the sound seemed to
proceed, and were fixed on a stranger of odd ap-
pearance seated about midway in the congrega-
tion. He sat steadfastly in his seat, with a coun-
tenance of marked solemnity, and totally unmoved
by the excitement he had produced. That stranger
was Joseph C. Dylks, the noted "Leatherwood
God." The shout and snort of Dylks are de-
scribed by every one who heard them as imparting
to all within their sound both awe and fear. Some
of the men jumped to their feet, women shrieked,
and" every cheek blanched. No one had seen him
enter. Dylks appeared to be between forty-five
and fifty years old, five feet eight inches tall, and
as straight as an arrow, with large flashing eyes
and a mass of hair that reached nearly to the mid-
die of his back. His face was pale and tinged with
melancholy. His acquaintance was sought by
members of the congregation, and he visited much
among them, and sometimes led at the meetings in
the temple. In three Weeks he quietly made pros-
elytes and then announced himself "GocL" Strange
to say, so man3' believed that the Dylksites got
possession of the temple. Religious fanaticism
never spread faster, and even Rev. Samuel Davis
and Rev. John Mason were led astray. Dylks' star,
however, which had rushed to the zenith so rap-
idly, shortly began to wane. The unbelievers
called for a miracle as evidence of his truth, but
as none came they grew bolder, and as he had stated
that no one could take a single hair from his head,
he was knocked down by a party and a handful of
hair removed. He was then taken before Esquire
Omstot at Washington, but managed to escape
and ran out of the Esquire's oflSce and up the
pike, followed by a shower of stones thrown by
the angry mob. He was afterward concealed by-
some who believed him to be their "God," and,
strange to say, proselytes were more numerous
than ever. In October, however, he left with three
of the better class of his converts on a journey to
Philadelphia, whither he promised to bring down



HISTORICAL,



523



from heaven the "Celestial City." When near
Philadelphia he disappeared and they returned
home. He was never seen afterward, but tbe
Dylksitcs never lost their faith in him.



^^+^1



LONDONDERRY TOWNSHIP.

The original proprietor of the township was
Robert Wilkin, who emigrated from the North
of Ireland in 1807, and settled on the present site
of the town. The town, however, was not laid
out until in August, 1815, when fifty-six lots were
surveyed, with a ten-rod square in the center,
called the "Diamond," which is not visible at the
present day. Many of the settlers followed Mr.
Wilkin from the North of Ireland, and then the
town was laid out. They called it Londonderry,
in honor of or for some fancied resemblance to the
city of that iifirae in the Old Country. The town-
ship, which was organized June 3, 1816, is included
in one of the seven ranges of land to which the
Indian titles were extinguished by the treaty of
Ft. Stanwix. October 27, 1784, and when the land
office was opened at Steuben ville. In 1801 the
Government proceeded to open up these lands to
entry and settlement. As emigrants from Penn-
sylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Ireland and Scot-
land were flocking into the country in great num-
bers, and as the roads were of primary necessity,
one was located and blazed from Steubenvilie to
Zane's Crossing, which, as we know, struck Zane's
Trail at Cambridge, forming the route of what h.ns
since become the Cambridge, Cadiz and Steuben-
vilie free turnpike.

In 1801 Edward Carpenter, a son of John Car-
penter, one of the pioneers who crossed the Ohio
River in 1781 and built what was known as Car-
penter's Fort, a short distance above where the
town of Warrentou nowstands, took a contract for
cutting out eighteen miles of this road, extending
west from Big Stillwater to willun seven or eight
miles of Cambridge, for which he received the sum
of $300. The road, as then opened, passed through



the present site of Londonderry, to which Mr.
Carpenter afterward removed in 1807 and entered
the northeast quarter of section 26, which is still
owned by his son, Edward Carpenter, who was
born in 1802, and was only five years of age when
his father removed to the place, then an almost un-
broken wilderness, abounding in wild game, espe-
cially deer, "bar," wolves and turkeys, which con-
stituted their principal reliance for subsistence for
some years afterward.

Some idea of the quantity of the game then
found in the Stillwater hills and valleys may be
formed from the fact tbat during the fall and
winter of 1812 Mr. Carpenter killed thirty-five
deer and his son George forty-four deer and one
"bar." They were also very much annoyed by
wolves, which were not only numerous, but trouble-
some, and as the Government paid a bounty of $4
for wolf scalps and the county *2, trapping for
them was quite a business.

The school facilities at that time were limited,
hut about 1819 or 1820 they succeeded in emploj -
ing Robert Jamison, an Irish schoolmaster, who
taught the first school ever opened in London-
derry, and to the support of which Mr. Carpenter
paid $36 a quarter, and Mr. Wilkin and others no
doubt were equally as liberal. The fact that the
characteristics of tiie first settlers often remain
impressed upon communities for years is strongly
exemplified in the history of Londonderry, and
the industrj', integritj', morality and rigid exnct-
ness of the Irish and Scotch Presbyterians have ex-
erted an influence that is yet apparent in that
community, and has no doubt contributed much to
the temporal prosperity and religious character
of the people.



'^=^^>-^^



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 73 of 83)