Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 74 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 74 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


HISTORICAL.



527



the principal, if not the only, manufacturing feat-
ure of the village.

"Many rough characters were in the community
then, and election day was a favorite time to settle
gi-udges and animosities. The couple bent on
punishing one another would get toned up by
drinking whiskey, choose seconds, throw oflf their
outer clothing, and go into the conflict. The
battle was ended when one of the men cried
"enough," or, if ho was not able to do so, when his
second did; then the foes, having had satisfaction,
took a drink together, and got down to chat.

"When a farmer sold stock he had to deliver
it, the nearest points being Barnesville and Wash-
ington, and to those places one had to go for farm
implements and some articles of household use.
I once took a horse and went to Barnesville, and
slid a plow home, the point being covered with a
wooden shield.

"Coflfee then was fifty cents a pound, but it was
only used when the preaciier called and on other
notable occasions. A pound might last six months.
Pork was wortii $1.25 to iL.'jO a hundred, and
calico was twenty-five to thirty-seven and one-half
cents per yard.

"As there was no communication by rail, the
produce collected was taken to Baltimore in huge
covered wagons drawn by six horses. The journey
took about three weeks eacli way." Mr. Thomp-
son's father, Robert, came to Ohio in 1811, and
settled in the vicinity of this town.

SENECA VII.LK

Owes its name to causes that were working long
before this part of the Union was settled. Ages
before petroleum became known to the white race
by that name, it was in use among the Seneca In-
dians who occupied a portion of the present state
of New York, and of the famous oil belt of Penn-
sylvania. This oil rose to the surface of springs
and creeks, and was used by the red men as a cure
for rheumatism, burns, s[)rains and many other
ailments. Througli tlie Indians it became known
to the white settlers, and by tliem was called from
the name of the Indians Seneca Oil, and it became
as popular among the people of civilization as it
was among the children of the forest, and large



quantities of it were sold in small bottles at prices
that now would buy barrels. Explorers and earl3'
settlers found this oil in a spring and the waters
of the creek into which it discharged and, recogniz-
ing the substance, promptly named this branch of
Wills Creek Seneca Creek, on account of its ole-
aginous feature. Later, when a town was built
on this creek and in the immediate vicinity of the
famous spring, it took the name of Senecaville.

Senecavillewas laid out in September, 1814. In
the fall of 1815 William Thompson went to Phila-
delphia on horseback, and purciiased some dry
goods and groceries, paying III per hundred for
carriage. This was the first store in the township.
While there he employed Isaac Woodard, a lame
man, to teach school for twelve months. William
Thompson and Robert Thompson agreed to pay the
teacher in full for his services. The salt works were
now running, and as the fuel used was wood it re-
quired a number of men to chop wood and boil
the salt water, the works running day and night.
The children of tliese men and those of tlie few
neighbors around the village made quite a respec-
table little school. Tiie men were told to send all
their cliildren and it would not cost them a cent.
Joseph Dilley and Abraham Dilley iiaving large
families, had small means to send their children
to school, but said they were unwilling th.at two
men should pay the teacher, and in time they
would (and did) pay a; small sum. This may be
called the first free school of which we have any
knowledge.

Following is a copy of a document now in the
possession of Mrs. John R. Finley that brings
forcibly to mind the state of affairs sixty-five
years ago, and the great changes since that lime.
The paper, now stained by age and time-worn, is an
unruled leaf from a record book, and is written in
a clerkly hand. It was found among the papers
of William Thompson after his death. The first
page reads as follows:

"Records of the Senecaville Colonization Society
of Guernsey County, Ohio, Auxiliary to the Ameri-
can Colonization Society of Washington.

"Pursuant to public notice a number of the
citizens of Senecaville and its vicinity in the coun-
ty of Guernsey and state of Ohio convened at



528



HISTORICAL.



the Presbyterian ineeting-liouse in Senecaville'
July 6, 1829.

"Tiie meeting was organized and chose Rev.
William C. Kiel President for the time being, and
the Rev. Daniel Pettay Secretary pro tern, and
Dr. David Frame Treasurer pro tern.

"The object of the meeting being stated by the
President, William Thom.pson, Esq., arose and pre-
sented a constitution for the society, which was
adopted with amendments:

''Resolved, That there be a committee of three
members appointed to draft rules for the govern-
ment of the society and to make report at the next
meeting of said society." (William Tiioinpson,
Esq., David Satterthwaite, Esq., and Dr. David
Frame were duly appointed.)

^'■Resoloed, Tliat the constitution of the society
be deposited in the liands of the Treasurer to re-
ceive members.

''Resolved, That tlic Chairman pj'o^em. deliver an
address at our next meeting.

"Resolved, That the meeting adjourn until four
o'clock, p. M., on Monday, the 3d day of August
next.

[Signed]

"Daniet, Pettay, Secretary pro tem.
"William G. Kikl, Chairman pro tern."

Out of the Colonization Society grew the or-
ganization known as the "Undergound Railroad,"
by whicli tlie Abolitionists helped many of the
slaves to liberty. The home of Dr. Baldridge
was a depot on this line, and many a slave found
lodgment and comfort there while on his wa^'
to Canada and liberty. Among the most promi-
nent Abolitionists of this place .during the thirty
years following were Rev. William C. Keil, who left
Virginia, his native state, on account of his hatred
of slaver}-; Dr. John Baldridge, Dr. David Frame,
Dr. Noah Hill and Judge William Thompson.

lllSTORV OF THE PRESHYTERIAN CIIL'RCII 01' SKXECA-

vn.LE.

"From the History of the Presbytery of St. Clairs-
ville in the Synod of Ohio," kindly furnished by Dan-
iel Riggs.

In 1810, this church was organized by Rev. John
Boyd, whose labors were divided between Leather-



wood and Seneca, continuing one year. After a
vacancy of four years a call was accepted by Rev.
James Smith in 1815, who gave all his services to
the same field. Ilis death occurred in 1819. Rev.
Thomas B. Clark was the next pastor, beginning
his labors in 1821, and remaining nine years. The
church remained vacant a number of years, during
which time a great revival took place. But with-
out a pastor the people became scattered, and a
Cumberland Presbyterian Cliurch was organized
which almost absorbed the former church, and laid
claim to the property and held it two years. In
1835 Rev. David Polk came to this field, and dur-
ing the two and one-half years of his labors the
scattered congregation was brought together, the
church property recovered and much good done.
Rev. John Arthur supplied the pulpit eighteen
months, and after a short vacancy the Rev. John
E. Alexander became pastor in 1842, and contin-
ued until 1853. During this time there were steady
growth and increase of strength in the congrega-
tion.

Rev. William Ferguson accepted a call to this
church in 1854, and gave to them one-fourth of
his time until 1862, after which he devoted all of
his time to the church of Washington. During
his ministry a new house of worship was erected,,
and precious revivals were experienced. At the
expiration of the pastorate of Mr. Ferguson the
relationship between Senecaville and Washington
which had existed from' the first was dissolved
and a new one formed with the church of Beulah,
at Claysville. Rev. W. R. Miller took charge of
this field, dividing his time equally between them
until he resigned in 1867. Rev. C. W. Court-
wright became pastor in 1868, and resigned in the
year 1870. In May, 1874, Rev. R. B. Porter was in-
stalled, and continued the pastor of this church and
Beulah until 1876. After the resignation of Mr.
Porter the old relationship with Washington was
re-established, and Rev. A. G. Eagleson, pastor of
the church of Washington, supplied this church
two years. In 1879 Rev. J. P. Stafford, D. D., be-
gan his labors as stated supply, and continued one
and a-half years. Rev. Dr. Miller also supplied
for a brief time. In 1883 Rev. Newton Donald-
son, pastor of the church at Washington, became



HISTORICAL.



J29



pastor at Senecaville, and continued in this rela-
tion nearly five years. Shortly after his coming, a
new church was organized at Lore City, composed
of members from both Senecaville and Washing-
ton. These three churches constituted the charge
of Mr, Donaldson, aud his ministry there was very
successful. Rev. Charles McCracken succeeded Mr.
Donaldson and continued the work tliree years.
Following this was a year in which the church
had no pastor. Then Rev. Mr. McMaster became
pastor here, and has served in that capacity for
three years.

The Lutheran Cliurch of Senecaville was found-
ed in 1827 by Rev. William G. Keil, born at Stras-
burg, Va., August 7, 1799, and died January 18,
1892, at Senecaville, Ohio. He was a preacher for
many years, and his labors were spread over a
large territor3' in southeastern Ohio. Among the
well known old settlers who were constituent or
early members of the organization were Judge
David Tullis, James Gordon, Joseph Riggs, Con-
rad Shafer, John Wiley, James Thompson, Madi-
son Thompson, William Lowry and Charles Stew-
ard. Mr. Keil preached nearly forty years here,
but during the last twenty-two years of his life
age and affliction (rheumatism) rendered it im-
possible for him to carry on active work. The
church is not strong, and since Mr. Keii's active
labors ceased it has not flourished.

The greatest religious revival in tliis place was
conducted by Rev. Luke Dc Witt and occurred in
the winter of 1833-34, many prominent citizens
becoming converts.

The first white child born in Richland Town-
ship is said to have been Edward Ward. The first
Class-leader in the Methodist Episcopal Church
was probably Benjamin Rogers, a blacksmith.



WILLS TOWNSHIP.



WASHINGTON.

This enterprising village is near the center of
the county, and is situated upon the National Pike,
about eight miles east of Cambridge. Its nearest



railroad station is Morgan Junction, distant about
four miles, but a new road noticed elsewhere, it is
hoped, will brigliten the future and give to this
place the prestige it once enjoyed as one of the
leading towns of the couutj'. It has a population
of about six hundred, and is among the most
wealtliy towns of the county. It has many fine
and substantial private residences, a town hall and
benevolent societies. It has a good brick school
building, two stories in height, giving employment
to four teachers. The officers of the town are S.
B.Clemens, Mayor; Alfred Skinner, Jr., Marshal;
D. E. Patterson, Treasurer; James Mason, Clerk.

A LOST TOWN.

The first town ever laid out in what is now
Guernsey County was located on the Zane Trace,
five miles east of Washington, on the northwest half
of section 19, township 2, range 1. The proprie-
tor, Joseph Smith, called the town Frankford, but
the records of Muskingum County, to which the
lands at that time belonged, show that the plat of a
town called Frankby or Frankley was received for
record September 13, 1805; this makes the place
twenty-three days older than Washington. Who
Josepli Smith was, where he came from, or when
he settled lliere, is not known. There being no
record of the patent, it can not now be told wheth-
er he entered the tract, but he evidently had some
expectations that his town would have a future,
for lot No. 5 was reserved for a court house. No.
13 for a gaol, and "north spring on lot 29 for the
free use of the public, and all the commons on the
south side of the same." But Smith's expectations
were never realized. The liberal terms offered did
not form much attraction for settlers. The first
cabin erected became a tavern, and whiskej' was
so cheap that the advantages of a free spring were
not duly appreciated, and there was so much unoc-
cupied land that even the cows paid little regard
to the commons, and wandered at will. Smith,
however, got what he never intended, the name,
as the place was always known as Smithtown. But
that was about all there was in it, for as late as
1807 a traveler b^' the name of Cummings, who
kept a journal, says therein : '-August 8. The stage
being only to go fifteen miles, I left Cambridge on



530



HISTORICAL.



foot; the first five miles were excellent road, over
a long, but not very higli, range of liills, with-
out a house, to I??3 merstown — twelve cabins, four
being taverns, and one blacksmith shop. Four
and one-half miles further no inhabitants; the
road is still good, but is leading over several high,
short and steep ridges, which generally run from
north to south. Then passing a cabin and farm,
in half a mile I came to Frankford or Smithtown,
where I breakfasted. This is a small village or
hamlet of eight or ten houses and cabins, some of
which, as well as several in the neighborhood, arc
inhabited by families from Teekskill, N. Y."

March 5, 1807, Smith and wife conveyed lot
No. 20 to John D. Seiman; and again in 1815 con-
veyed to Henry Gilbert, of Belmont County, lots
34 and 60, the consideration being 127.50. Feb-
ruary 2, 1819, they conveyed to William Vicrs lots
41 and 56, the consideration being 141.50.

In 1809 or 1810 Andrew Moore, of New Castle,
Del., became a resident of the town and the pro-
prietor of tlic tavern, which became somewhat noted
as a [ilace of entertainment for travelers, and it
was to this |)lace that Gen. Robert B. Moore, in
1819, having married a daughter of Jacob Gom-
ber, took his bride to her new home, a large com-
pany of young friends from Cambridge accompa-
nying them on horseback. Mrs. Colonel Bushficld
was the only member of those two prominent and
well remembered families now surviving when
this was written by William M. Farrar.

April 4, 1810, Andrew Moore gave to Charles
Hammond and Samuel Spriggs a mortgage "on my
house, stable and lots in the town of Frankford."
June 17, 1814, Smith and wife, in consideration of
$2,000, conveyed to Jacob Gomber a quarter-sec-
tion, upon which the town was laid out, and also
lots 49, 35, 16 and south half of lots 29, 12 and 4.

August 10, 1819, Jacob Gomber conveyed the
same to Andrew and Robert Moore for *2,000.
Upon the death of Andrew Moore his administra-
tors, under an order of court made at the June
term of 1837, sold the land and lots 4, 12, 16 and 45
to William Moore, who, in August, 1838, sold the
same to Gilbert Stewart for $2,200; and Stewart
conveyed the same, together with lots 36,44,52,
43, 57, 53, 17, 18, 33, 34, 37, 49, 54, 20, 27, 28, 29



and 19, to Joseph S. Kugler, who, after having
secured title to the remaining town lots, filed an
application to have the town vacated, and at the
October term, 1846, obtained an order to that ef-
fect; and thereupon the original town of Guernsey
County ceased to exist. Its once noted hostelry,
that fed and rested many a traveler, has disap-
peared; its streets and alleys have been converted
into cow pasture, and its court house and gaol sites
appro)jriated to the growing of corn and potatoes.

LORE CITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.

Lore City is midway between Washington and
Senecaville. With the growing population that
gathered at that point, a demand came for the
preaching of the Gospel, and for the building of
a hoiise of worship. A beautiful little church was
erected by the liberality of the people in the neigh-
boring congregations, and an organization was
effected June 6, 1884, with forty-seven members.
These came, for the most part, by dismissals from
the churches of Washington and Senecaville. The
Elders at the organization were: Hugh Brown, J.

B. Laughlin and J. A. Sproat. November 23,
1884, John Frame and Daniel Watson were or-
dained and installed as members of the session.

This church has been connected with the pas-
toral charge of Washington and Senecaville, and
enjoyed the pastoral labors of Revs. Newton Don-
aldson, C. R. McCracken and H. H. McMasters,

C. R. McCracken succeeding H. H. McMasters since
April, 1892. Eldersare: John Frame, Daniel Wat-
son, C. A. Sproat and C. C. Laughlin.

WASHINGTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.

The town of Washington was laid out in 1805.
The early settlers were of Scotch-Irish descent,
and not only a religious people, but of Presbyte-
rian stock. At first the village hotel afforded a
meeting-place where religious services could be
held, and traveling ministers were secured as often
as possible to oflficiate. The first house of worship
was erected in 1812, and was a small log house
built by the people. It stood outside of the vil-
lage, near the old graveyard. To this small and
inconvenient house an addition was built ten
years afterward to accommodate the growing con-
gregation. In 1827 a new house of brick was built



HISTORICAL.



531



in the town, which, being almost destroyed by a
wind storm in 1834, was re-bmit and enlarged, and
served the congregation until 1860. The present
excellent house was finished and dedicated in 1861,
and for some years was one of the best church ed-
ifices in this or the adjoining counties.

The church was organized in 1811, under tiie
name of Leathcrwood, which was changed to Wash-
ington in 1822. The organization was effected
through the labors of the Rev. John Boyd, who
preached to the people in this place about one
year. Supplies were sent by the Presbytery for
some time after this, and in 1815 Rev. James Smith
was called to the joint pastorate of Leatherwood
and Seuecaville, and was ordained and installed
in August of the same year. His ministry contin-
ued four years, when his death occurred, April 19,
1819. After his death the church was without the
stated means of grace for eighteen months. Then
Rev. Thomas B. Clark came, and after supplying
the church six months was called and installed, in
1821, over the united charges of Leatherwood,
Senecavillc and Little Buffalo. During his min-
istry the name of the church was changed to Wash-
ington. His labors ceased here in April, 1831, and
he removed to Logan County. After two years
of occasional supply Rev. Joseph Reed became the
stated supply, and remained four years. The next
pastor was Rev. David Polk, who was installed in
April, 1837, and remained only one year. Rev.
Samuel Hair next became pastor, in 1838, and
remained four years. His ministry was greatly
blessed, and in one revival eighty persons pro-
fessed religion.

Rev. John E. Alexander became pastor of Wash-
ington Church in 1842, and after a successful min-
istry of eleven years was dismissed, in 1853, on ac-
count of bronchial affection. He then took charge
of the Miller Academy, a Presbyterian institution
established in Washington in 1849, and held the
position of Principal ten years, when, on account
of the Civil War then raging, the students were
scattered and the academy was finally closed. It
was during his ministry, in 1850, that a Free Pres-
byterian Church was organized, which drew off
many valuable members. After slavery was abol-
ished, that church was disbanded and its members
returned to the Presbyterian Church.



In 1854 Rev. William M. Ferguson became pas-
tor of Washington and Senecavillc. After serving
the united churches about eight years, he gave his
entire time to the church of Washington, ilis
ministry closed here in June, 1874, that he might
accept the position of Chaplain of the Ohio State
Prison in Columbus. His was the longest pastor-
ate the church ever enjoyed, and during that time
its highest state of prosperity was reached. He
was a bold and earnest preacher of the Gospel, and
his ministry was greatly blessed in the salvation
of men. During his ministry new cliurclies were
built both in Washington .ind Senecavillc.

In December, 1874, Rev. A. G. Eagleson, pastor
of the Third Presbyterian Church of Wheeling,
came before the church on their invitation and
held a communion. During the winter he preached
again in a series of meetings, after which he re-
ceived and accepted a call to become their pastor.
His installation took place June 15, 1875, and the
relation was dissolved November 12, 1871). A
part of this time he supplied the church of Scn-
ccaville. After his resignation the church had only
irregular supplies for a considerable length of time.

Rev. Newton Donaldson, then a student in the
Western Theological Seminary, came as a candi-
date before the ciiurch in the fall of 1882. A call
was soon made for his services, which was accept-
ed, and at the close of the seminary year he en-
tered regularly upon his labors. He was ordained
and installed June 1, 1883. One year previous
to this the church of Lore City was organized at
Campbell's Station, on the Baltimore & Ohio Rail-
road, composed mainly of members from Wash-
ington and Senecavillc. Rev. Mr. Donaldson took
charge of the three churclies of Washington, Lore
City and Senecavillc. He was greatly prospered
in this field of labor, and spent nearlj' five years
in very earnest work. His dismissal took place
November 1, 1887, and he removed to Bellcvue
Church, in the Presbytery of Alleghany.

In 1888 Rev. C. R. McCracken was called to the
service of this church, and faithfully discharged
his duties until 1892, when he was succeeded by
Rev. H. H. McMasters, whose terra of service be-
gan in April of that year. Rev. Mr. McMasters
has served the church elticicntly and faithfully.



532



HISTORICAL.



This cLui-cli lias experienced many great revi-
vals of religion, tlie most notable of which were in
1839, under the ministry of Kcv. Samuel Hair; in
1858, and again in 1868, under the ministry of
Rev. William M. Ferguson; and in 1885, during
the ministry of Rev. Newton Donaldson. At these
times large accessions were made to the member-
ship, and a great impetus given to the cause of re-
ligion.

' ^^) ^ P •



WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP.

William Scott was the first Justice of the Peace,
and also the first Township Clerk. lie afterwards
was a State Senator. There has never been a
postofflee or town in this township. Some get
their mail in Antrim, others at Birmingham or
West Chester in this county, and some even go to
Freeport, Harrison County. Tiie first settler
here was Levi Williams, father of John Williams,
who is now the oldest man living born in this
countv. Robert Carnes was the second and
James Anderson the third settler.

In 1815 and 1816 quite a number of families
came, and when the townsliip was organized
eighteen votes were (lollcd. Thomas Ilanna re-
ceived seventeen votes at the first election for
Representative to the Legislature.

There are two sawmills and two gristmills here,
also a United Brethren and a Protestant Meth-
odist Church. The first religious society organ-
ized here was under the auspices of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, at the house of Moses Hindes
in 1816.

Levi Williams, in 1796, located where Washing-
ton now stands, and did the first clearing in Wills
Township. In 1800 he moved to what is now
AVashington Township. He was a great hunter,
and was First Lieutenant in the Indian War
under Wayne, and also under General Harrison,
in 1812. His son John was born here, March
8, 1806. It appears that besides Graham and
Williams, a John Mahoney is also claimed to
have been the first settler in the county. It is
probable that these three arrived at or about the
same time.



JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP.
This township is located in the United States
Military District of lands directed to be sold at
Zanesville; designated as township 3, of range 2 —
that is township 3 north, numbering from the
south side of the Military District, and range 2
west, numbering from the seventh range on the
east side of the Military District. It is five miles
square and divided into quarters. The town-
ship is divided into sections, numbering from one
to twenty-five, and commencing in the northeast
corner, thence west, then cast and back and forth,
ending in the southwest corner with section twen-
ty-five. The township has four school districts,
under the control of the Board of Education, and
one special district authorized by the Legislature.
The main streams are the Salt Fork of Wills



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 74 of 83)