Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 75 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 75 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Creek, meandering across the south side and re-
ceiving the Brushy Fork and other branches from
the north. The Sugar-tree runs across the north
side and receives the Clear Brook, Rocky Fork
and other streamlets. There are three grist and
saw mills on the Salt Fork, and one on the Sugar-
tree.

The first settlers were William Lautz and Mar-
tin Stull, who emigrated from Greene County,
Pa., in 1805, and located, Stull on lots U and 15,
and Lautz on lots 1 and 2. Stull died soon after-
John Tidrick, from the same county, settled on
lot 3. William Allen located on lot 28, and owned
seven hundred and fifty acres. He came here in
1806, and later married Mr. Stall's widow. He
was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1771. The
Aliens raised a large family. He was a Trustee
in 1815, when Madison and Jefferson constituted
one township, and after the division w^ frequent-
ly elected to the office of Trustee. He died in
1845.

Rev. John Graham in 1824 organized a Meth-
odist Episcopal society, with eight members. They
met in Mr. Allen's house for sixteen years. Will-
iam Northgravc was Leader. In 1839 they builta
church on Mr. Allen's land. It was the first relig-
ious organization and the first church built in the
township.

Jonathan Stiles, of English descent, came here
in 1806, and located on the southeast quarter of



HISTORICAL.



533



section 17, third quarter township. His fourteen
children grew up here, and three sons and one
daughter yet remain. In 1809 his relatives, Hen-
ry Stull and George Lautz, came with their famil-
ies. Thirty-five years later they moved further
west.

Adam Linn, in 1809, built a house on the Steu-
benVille Road, on lot 18, quarter-section 4, and
kept tavern there. His son Joseph settled on lot
17, but sold to Thomas Brown. In 1813 another
son, George, settled on lot 20, and in 1814 built a
grist and saw mill on Salt Fork. He owned six
hundred acres, and was a Justice of the Peace and
a member of the United Presbyterian Church. His
sons and daughters now own the land.

In 1809 Peter Wirick settled on lot 33, which
the nieces of William Bales now own. In 1809
also came Abraham Mathews, who settled on lot
(j, quarter-township 4, which William A. Parker
now owns. In the same year John Baird, with
eight sons and six daughters, located on the south-
east quarter of section 24, on the Salt Fork.

In 1812 John Lake settled on lot 12, fourth
quarter, and was a constable in 181,5.

In 1816 John McCuUough settled on section 5,
and built a sawmill. Andrew Clark erected a
grist and saw mill near Sugar-tree Fork Postofflce.

In 1818 James Wilson settled on lot 34, which
he bought from James Waddle. He was a black-
smith for many years.

In 1819 Richard Connell located on section 25.

In 1820 Thomas Whitehill and son, Thomas,
from Scotland, located on section 6, which B. K.
Gillespie now owns.

In 1818 Samuel Pattison, from Ohio County,
Va., located on section 16, where John M. Clark
now lives.

James Willis, of Ireland, in 1820 located on sec-
tion 2, and in 1846 sold it to George Beal, who
has since frequently been a Trustee of the town-
ship.

In 1821 Isaac Lanning settled on section 3.

In 1818 Thomas F. Baird settled on section 3,
and was elected Justice of the Peace in 1830. His
second wife now owns the farm. In 1818 came
also William Northgrave, who moved on section
2. He was an active leader in the Allen Church.
26



John Speers and family, from Ireland, located
early on part of section 13. His son John, an oc-
togenarian, lives there now.

The first regular election held for township of-
ficers was that of April 7, 1817, when Nathan
Kimball was chosen Chairman, William Allen and
George Beal Judges aud George Linn Clerk. The
election resulted as follows: George Liuu, Town-
ship Clerk; William Allen, William Lautz, George
Beal, Trustees; John Tetrick, Treasurer; Henry
Stull, James Strain, Supervisors; James Warnock,
Lawrence Tetrick, Overseers of the Poor; John
Tetrick, Newman Mathews, Fence Viewers; John
Armstrong, Appraiser of Property'; Abraham Arm-
strong, Lister; Thomas Baird, Jacob Lanning, Con-
stables. July 19, 1817, the Trustees levied a
tax of $20.90, which was appropriated to the use
of the public roads in the township.

At this early day most of the settlers belonged
to some branch of the Presbyterian Church, but
no church was erected because each settler insisted
on worshiping as he had been accustomed; there-
fore they worshiped in churches outside of the
township, many in the Union Churcli at Washing-
ton, in Wills Township. This was the Associate
Reformed Church. Some were members of the
Presbyterian organization southeast of Washing-
ton. At an earl}- day Rev. Alexander McCoy,
who, with Rev. Robert Warwick, founded the Re-
formed Dissenting Presbyterian Church, Janu-
ary 27, 1801, came here and preached at the house
of James Bratton, five miles east of Cambridge, on
the Steubenville Road. The Dissenters then organ-
ized the Wills Creek congregation of the Reformed
Dissenting Presbytery. They erected a tent in a
grove near Thomas Armstrong's, which had seat-
ing capacity for a large audience. They also built
a large log cabin, with two chimneys for use in
winter, and afterwards erected a frame church near
Miller's Mill, in Liberty Township. There serv-
ices were held until September, 1850, when the
presbytery was dissolved. Rev. John Anderson
was the first regular pastor, and his successor was
Rev. Moses Oldham. The first Ruling Elders were
John Armstrong, Joseph Bell, David Douglas and
Isaac Oldham. A large number of the congrega-
tion were citizens of Jefferson Township. The



.534



HISTORICAL.



first church organization in the township was the
Allen Methodist Episcopal Church, founded in
1816. The second congregation was begun at a
meeting held in the house of Andrew Clark, on
the Sugar-tree Fork. The Associate Reformers
held meetings there for some time, and later erect-
ed a church edifice on the site of North Salem. A
larger building is now being constructed. Rev.
James Duncan was the first pastor, Rev. William
Johnson the second, and Rev. "William Sommer the
third. Rev. John W. Martin is the present pastor.
The third church organization was in September,
1867, when the Pleasant Hill United Presbyterian
Church was organized. Robert Kirk wood and Ab-
raham Armstrong were chosen Ruling Elders.
Levi P. Scott was carpenter of the church edifice,
which cost $725. Rev. Rufus Johnson was the
first pastor, and Rev. J. W. Martin is the present
pastor. The Ruling Elders are Robert Kirkwpod,
Abraham Armstrong, George Allcnder, H. J. Mar-
tin and Andrew Clark; Deacons, McLean Arm-
strong, T. C. Kirkwood, J. W. Armstrong, William
Scott and John Marling.

Pleasant Hill Cemetery is on a beautiful knoll
in section 16, and adjoins the United Presbyterian
Church. Mrs. Jane Moor, wife of William Moor,
was the first person buried here. James Bratton, a
young man, was the second, and William Moor
third. Florence Armstrong, mother of the Arm-
strong brothers, was buried there August 22,
1822.



i^^



MADISON TOWNSHIP.
Edward Bratton was the first settler in Madison
Township, and removed from there to Jefferson
Township. He was a native of Pennsylvania, and
in 1799 removed with his father to the new ter-
ritory northwest of the Ohio River, then opening
for settlement. Crossing the river at Wheeling,
the Brattons made their way westward to the
forks of McMahon Creek, three miles below where
the town of Belmont now stands, and at that time
five miles west of any other settlement. From
that place they removed in 1802 up the Zane Trac^,
near what is known as the Miiner property. In



the spring of 1803 or 1804 Joseph Wright emi-
grated from Ireland, and located near. the same
place. In 1805 young Bratton married, and, tak-
ing the trail of General Broadhead's expedition in
1780, when that officer marched from Wheeling on
the Coshocton campaign against the Indians, he
followed it as far as where Antrim now stands.
The trail entered the present site of that town
near where tlie old Madison College building stood,
and kept along the ridge until it passed the head
of the ravine on the north side, when it struck off
west along what is known as the old New Comers-
town Road. Here Mr. Bratton left it and followed
the Government road, out of which the brush liad
been cut, from Steuben ville to Zane 's Crossing un-
til he reached the present site of Winchester, where
he pitched his tent, having no neighbors nearer
than the Carpenters, near where Londonderry now
stands, or Beattys, at the present site of Cam-
bridge. There were, however, five Indian families
residing in the neighborhood.

Two brothers, named Jim and Bill Lyons, had
their huts up the bottom near where William Ted-
rick's house now stands. Joseph Sky lived at the
mouth of Brushy Fork, near where Linn's Mill
now stands. One, Doubtj', had a hut between
Mrs. Culbertson's and Newman Lake's, and had
two squaws; and one named Hunter also had a
hut, but no squaw.

After Mr. Bratton had been living there some
time, he learned that he had a new neighbor, who
had moved in a few miles above, on the big creek.
This was Martin Stull, a Pennsylvanian, who en-
tered the land owned by Mrs. Culbertson, where he
made an improvement, but died the next spring,
when Mr. Bratton leased his entry and moved on-
to it.

For man}' years, and until a mill run by horse-
power was built at Morristown, Mr. Bratton had
his grinding done four miles northeast of St. Clairs-
ville, a distance of thiri;y-four miles. There was
no such thing as a store nearer than Wheeling,
and he remembered when old Tommy Sarchet
brought a handkerchief full of goods to Cambridge
and opened the first store there. The first grist-
mill in the county was built by George Linn, and
now stands on Salt Fork. It was then in Madison,'



HISTORICAL.



but is now in Jefferson Township. The first Jus-
tice of the Peace was Biindle Wickham. The first
store was kept by George Wines at Winchester.

The first church was built at Winchester by the
Methodists. The first tavern was built in Win-
chester by John Keepers. Antrim was laid out by
Alexander Alexander in 1819. The first black-
smith of Antrim was William Rusk, who settled
there in 1820. The first store was kept by Alex-
ander, the second by Stockdale.

There are four religious societies in the town-
ship, as follows: the Baptist, two Methodist Epis-
copals,and the United Presbyterian. Rev. Mr. Rid-
dle was the first preacher. He was an Associate
Presbyterian minister, and came to this neighbor-
hood in 1820.

The first church built was erected by the Se-
ceders, and the second by the Associated Presby-
terians. The first school was held in a log house
moved from Londonderry Township to Antrim.
The Tedricks and Bonnells laid out the town of
Winchester.

When Madison Township was organized, there
were four sections of land set apart by the state
for public-school purposes, Nos. 1, 2, 9 and 10,
situated in the nortiieast part of the township.
These lands were first leased and later sold, and
the proceeds of the sale went into the general
school fund. This rule held good in other town-
ships of the county.

Ur. Finley,an ambitious character, who had the
cause of education at heart, made arrangements
to start a scliool at Antrim soon after his location.
Accordingly, in May, 1835 or 1836, he succeeded
in enrolling the names of eight boys and young
men in the vicinity as students. He used his cabin
as a recitation-room, and thus commenced Madison
College. The people enlisted in the cause, and the
number of students increased rapidly, and it was
resolved at a meeting of the citizens of the village
that a united effort should be maide for the erec-
tion of a suitable building. Subscriptions were
made in money, etc., and a site was chosen for the
building at the east end of the village, on the
most elevated ground roundabout. The building
was completed, and the title conferred upon it was
Madison College. It was organized under the



laws of Ohio, and the Trustees appointed Dr. Fin-
ley President and Milton Greene Secretary. It
prospered for many years, or until the breaking
out of the war, when it became a financial wreck.

THE UNITED PRESBTTKRIAN CHURCH OF JEFFERSON
TOWNSHIP.

Several members of the United Presbyterian
Church residing between the United Presbyterian
Church at North Salem and the United Presby-
terian Church at Washington, being of the opinion
that it would be for the advancement of the Lord's
cause to have a congregation within their immedi-
ate bounds, petitioned tlie United Presbytery of
Muskingum to grant an organization of a congre-
gation under the name of Pleasant Hill. Accord-
ingly, a grant for the organization of a congrega-
tion in said bounds was given by the Muskingum
Presbytery of the United Presbyterian Church of
North America, at the session held at Londonderry,
June 11,1867.

Rev. W. H. McFarland was appointed to preach
and organize a congregation in said bounds. The
congregation was organized September 29, 1867,
by the election of Robert Kirkwood, Abraham
Armstrong and George Alleniler as Ruling Eld-
ers; McLean Armstrong, Tliomas C. Kirkwood and
William Scott as Deacons. September 29, 1867,
Robert Kirkwood, who was formerly an ordained
Elder in the United Presbyterian Church of Wash-
ington, was installed as Ruling Elder. McLean
Armstrong, an ordained Deacon in the congre-
gation of North Salem, was also installed. William
Scotland Tliomas C. Kirkwood were ordained and
installed as Deacons. Occasional supplies were re-
ceived until January 1, 1869. Among the number
sent were Revs. Joseph Walker, Samuel C. Marshall,
W. H. McFarland, James Duncan, George W.
Gowdv, A. H. Caldwell and Rufus Johnson.

The Lord's Supper was dispensed on the last
Sabbath of June, 1868, by Rev. David Paul, of
New Concord, Ohio, this being the first communion.
It was held in McLean Armstrong's barn, about one
mile west of the present site of the church. The
officiating Elders on that occasion were those
named above. Preaching was held at various
places, .principally at McLean Armstrong's barn,



536



HISTORICAL.



previous to January 1, 1869. In the fall of 1867
steps were taken to erect a house of worship.
Among those who took an active part in this good
work were Messrs. Abraham Armstrong, Robert
Kirk wood, McLean Armstrong, William Scott,
John Cornell. John Watson, William McElhaney,
George Allendcr, David Pattison and others.

Abraham Armstrong, John Watson and David
Pattison were appointed a building committee,
and contracted with L. P. Scott for the building
of the house. The effort was a complete suc-
cess, and the church was completed late in the
autumn of 1868, at a cost of $1,453.70. Rev. Will-
iam Johnson, formerly pastor of Washington
and Salem congregations, now of Monroe, Iowa,
preached the first sermon in the new church (while
the house was yet unfinished), from the Song of
Solomon, v: 2-7. On Sabbath, March 21, 1869, the
first communion was held by Rev. James Duncan.

Rev. Rufus Johnson cared for the congregation
from January 1, 1869, until April 8, 1873, he being
ord.ained June 15, 1869. June 22, 1870, George
/Vllendcr and Henry J.Martin were elected Ruling
Elders. J. W. Armstrong and John A. Marling
were elected Deacons. They were ordained July
13, 1870. Rev. Rufus Johnson was released from
the pastorate April 8, 1873. From this time until
August 2, 1874, supplies were sent to the congre-
gation as follows: Revs. James Sankey, Joseph
Boyd, James Duncan, Hugh Forsythe, J. C. Murch,
David Thompson, John Patterson, James McCrea,
J, D. Palmer, J. W. Martin and Hugh IMcVey-
July 13, 1874, a call was moderated at Pleasant
Hill by Rev. J. T.Campbell for Rev. J. W.Martin.
The call was presented and accepted, and August
2, 1874, pastoral labors began, and the installation
exercises took place November 17, 1874. The
congregation was under his care for nearly eight
years. From July 2, 1882, until January 1, 1883,
supplies were sent to the congregation as follows:
Revs. F. M. Spencer, James Duncan, J. W. Martin,
R. S. McClenahan, J. H. Nash and J. L. Thompson.
December 29, 1882, a call was moderated by Rev.
J. W. Martin, which was made for Rev. J. H. Nash
and J. L. Thompson. The call was accepted, and
January 1, 1883, pastoral labors began. The in-
stallation exercises took place at East Union, Au-



gust 21, 1883. In the spring of 1883 Robert
Kirkwood, who had been a Ruling Elder in the
congregation from its organization, and who was
highly esteemed by the church and community,
was cilled away by death. Thus the congregation
suffered the loss of a leading member, and the ses-
sion a wise counselor, one who had always taken
a deep interest in the congregation from its organi-
zation. October 12, 1874, an election was held.
Andrew Clark was elected Ruling Elder. Mr.
Clark, having been ordained Elder in the congre-
gation at Washington, was installed November 11,
1874. During this time two hundred and forty-
two persons have been received into membership
in the congregation; many of these were received
on examination and profession of their faith.
The present membership is one hundred and
twenty.

SPENCER TOWNSHIP.



By J. R. Knowlton.

About eight years after the organization of
Guernsey County, Spencer Township became a
separate body corporate. It is situated in the ex-
treme southwest corner of the county, and is rough
in surface, though rich in soil. It is heavily tim-
bered, well watered, and abounds in the finest build-
ing-stone and coal deposits. It was peculiarly
fortunate in the character of its first settlers, the
prudent, thoughtful New Englander bringing his
passion for schools and churches. The patient,
plodding, independent Pennsylvanian realized his
instinctive ideals of a comfortable and well sup-
plied home; while the high-toned, quick-tempered
Virginian, with his love of sport and wild game,
acknowledged no superior, and generally accom-
plished whatever he undertook.

The blending of these indispensable elements of
a strong, noble citizenship with just enough Irish
to give relish to a joke was happily effected, and
the resultant character is almost striking in its in-
diyiduality.

No sudden discovery or temporary "boom" ever
increased both the riches of the few and the pov-



HISTORICAL.



537



erty of the many; yet some of the largest and
most permanent fortunes ever accumulated in the
county grew slowly, though legitimately, in Spen-
cer Township, and in the aggregate the wealth of
the township is second only to Cambridge.

When a railroad was needed, $60,000 was con-
tributed by this people, and two citizens, W. H.
and C. B. Stevens, gave their whole time and serv-
ice to the enterprise, which has proven a success.
This people also contributed the sum of $10,000
to the Bellaire, Zanesville f Ben-
nett Roseman, whose uncompromising integrity
and outspoken persistence make him the enemy of
all sorts of corruption, that Guernsey County
owes its possession of the finest court house in the
State, and the one built at the least cost. He also
managed the building of the schoolhouse in Cum-
berland. James Abell and Joshua Gregg have been
County Treasurers; David Needham, Matthew B.
Casey and Walter Barnett have been Sheriffs. Ro-
dolph Thomas and John Casey, Recorders; Howard
Mackey, Prosecuting Attorney; Charles Barnes,
Coroner; James McMahon, Representative; Robert
Savage, State Senator; and J. E. McClelland, Au-
ditor. While in politics the township has ever been
almost solidly with the Republican or its ancestral
parties, yet no political "boss" ever presumed to
manipulate the people's votes without coming to
a speedy and inglorious defeat.

The salubrity of the climate and the intelligent
providence of the people in this township are well



illustrated in the fact that at least two centenari-
ans and nearly half a hundred octogenarians have
recently died, and there are at present twenty per-
sons over eighty years of age resident in the town-
ship.

No historian's pen has ever doue justice to the
unparalleled achievements of the American pio-
neer. The refined imagination sees no more of the
high and lofty courage so prominent in the labors
of the early settler when he reads of the noble
achievements of ^neas and his companions, than
when he stoops to compare the departed fame of
Roman civilization with the transplendent glories
of the American Republic. A township is but a
minor unit in the grand aggregation of that re-
public, but it is the Hercules thai destroyed the
tyrant kings. It may be that the spirit of inde-
pendence was born in the revelations of God to
man; but if it was, it was the insignificant town-
ship organization that nursed the infant spirit into
the happy youth of states and the sturdy man-
hood of nations. In its circumstances of earlj'
settlement, Spencer Township did not materially
differ from the average settlement of the state.

In 1795 Reuben Atchison came with the pur-
pose of securing a home, but did not permanently
locate until a few years later. In 1806 the records
show that a Mr. May made an entry and some im-
provements on land now owned bj' Joseph Covert,
which was long known as " May's deadening."
This man did not live to bring his family from
the East. In 1808 John Latta entered the land
now owned by the Cleary heirs. He became the
first Justice of the Peace after the oiganization in
1818. After Latta came a Mr. Wolf, who, assum-
ing squatter's rights, built a small cabin. In 1809
Finley Collins came from Virginia and entered a
part of the land now owned by I. L. Young. The
next permanent settler was Col. Thomas Bay, who
came in 1812, and thus began the extensive clear-
ings that attracted the strong class of pioneers.
In a few years the eight sons of Colonel Thomas,
viz., William, Thomas, Benjamin, Robert, Samuel,
John, Archibald and James, settled near each other,
and their selections at this late date are said to be
the best ever made by a single family in the county
of Guernsey, and their presence as citizens was a



HISTORICAL.



valuable acquisition for the future growth of the
pioneer colony. From 1812 to 1817 came Thomas
N. Muzzy, of Spencer, Mass., who built the first
mill, taught the first school, and started the first
temperance society; next came Eli Bingham, who
built the first brick house; then David Beach
and his brother Julius, Joseph Rannels, James
Conner, Andrew Wharton, John Castle, Andrew
Kells, John Hammond, from Connecticut; and
William Llewellyn, from Wales. Mr. Muzzy, at
the organization of the township, had the honor of
naming it after the town he came from in the East.
Before 1820 about fifty families were distributed
over the township, and the necessities growing out
of a community of interests and the common di-
vision of labor called for mechanics. Joseph W.
Marshall, Sr., of Greene County, Pa., built a tan-
nery in the eastern part of the township in 1818.
All his work was done in a primitive manner,
yet the product was noted for its good qualities.
About the same time William .Stokes started a
blacksmith shop near the present residence of James
Cooper. Joseph Burt also commenced smithing on
Garvin's Hill, in the eastern part of the township,
and a forge was erected that year by a Mr. Moore
near the present site of the roller-mills in Cum-
berland. The first tavern was opened by Stephen
Charlott. James Annon was the first tailor. The
second gristmill was erected by Benjamin Bay at
the confluence of the Yoker and Buffalo Fork of
Wills Creek. However, previous to the operation
of water-mills, Andrew Kells rigged up a hand-
mill near the Marshall tannery, where corn was



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 75 of 83)