Henry James Lee.

Portrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p online

. (page 9 of 83)
Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 9 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


11, 1894. His death was a shock to the whole
community, and his many friends deeply mourn
his loss. Tbe funeral services were conducted
under the auspices of the Prestiyterian Church.



The following resolutions on the death of C. C.
Welty were passed at a meeting of the business
men of New Philadelphia:

"WiiKRKAS, On Sunday, the 11 inst., Charles C.
Welt}', an esteemed citizen and honored represen-
tative of the business interests of our city, was bid-
den to enter the portals of death, and to take upon
himself the mantle of eternity, with God'ssupreme
gift to mankind — immortality — we place this trib-
ute on record in memory of our departed friend
and co-laborer; and

"Eesolved, That we recognize in the death of
our frier.d the loss of a valued companion and the
wise counsels of a far-seeing man of business;

''liesolved, That we will ever hold in fondest
memory the honest, sterling qualities of our friend
as a citizen, a businessman and Christian, trusting
that his short lite with us may be for the better-
ment of his friends who indite these lines;

^'■Jiesolved, That we express our deepest S3'rapa-
thy for his widow and children, and pray that God
may watch over them to that degree which is the
hope of the Christian;

'■'Resolved, That a copy of these resolutions be
sent to his family, and that they be published in
the papers of our city.

"W. W. Bowers,
"John Burrt,
"John A. Zeeb,
"Edward W. Dick,

"Committee."

"Resolutions of Resi-ect. — Again has the unre-
lenting reaper, Death, come into our midst and
taken from us in the prime of life our beloved
friend and business associate, C. C. Welt}\ Al-
though never again shall we look upon his bright
and smiling countenance, we, the surviving mem-
bers of his business association, desire to express in
some public manner the loss of one who was so
dear to us all.

Whereas, It has pleased Divine Providence to
remove from our midst our dear friend, C. C.
Welty, who departed this life March 11, 1894,

^'Resolved, That in the death of our Cashier,
C. C. Welty, this bank loses an officer who was al-
ways prompt to advance its interest, devoted to
its welfare and prosperity; one who was wise in



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



119



council, fearless in action, and an honest man,
whose virtues endeared him not onl}' to the Direc-
tors and officers of this bank, but to all with whom
he was brought in contact;

"Resolved, That the Directors of this bank tender
their heart-felt sympathies to the family and rela-
tives in this their sad affliction;

'■'Resolved, That these resolutions be published
in the county papers, and that a copy be sent to
the family of the deceased.

"S. O'DoNNELL, Pres.
"B. P. Scott, Cashier."



m. .^^mh. -(g)J



PHILIP A. GARVER was born at Navarre,
Stark County, Ohio, on the 8th day of
February, 1835. His father, John William
Garver, was a native of Baden, Germany, and his
mother, Elizabetli Wysbrod,was a native of Switz-
erland. His parents emigrated to America in 1832,
and settled at Bethlehem, Stark County, Ohio,
where the father followed the trade of carpenter
and house-builder. During a period of forty years
he labored most of the time at Massillon, Ohio,
where he aided and superintended the framework
in the construction of many of the older and best
buildings in that city.

Philip A. Garver is the eldest of seven brothers
and two sisters, who are all still living, except-
ing one brother, Emil Garver, who died last sum-
mer, at Defiance, Ohio. In his boyhood dajs the
education of the youth of the country seldom
extended further tiian a few months' attendance
each year at a subscription school, kei)t in the
primitive log schoolhouse, taught by ver^- ordi-
nary teachers, whose best qualifications usually
consisted in the fact that tliey did not spare the
rod. Here the subject of this sketch made the best
of his opportunities, and his early schoolmates ai-e
still wont to congratulate him on their remem-



brance of the fact that he always stood first in his
classes. His reputation as the best sjjeller, the
best reader, the best writer and the best cipherer
in the township was undisputed. When prizes
were contended for in educational and literary
contests, he always carried off the first. In this
connection he acknowledges with gratitude that
his jjarents gave him every aid and facility to bet-
ter his education which the support and education
of a large family, with very meager means, per-
mitted. Running the streets of the then busy vil-
lages of Bethlehem, Navarre and Rochester (now
one town), playing with like companions along
the banks of the Ohio Canal and the beautiful
Tuscarawas River, and laboring at odd jobs until
the age of sixteen, he was fired with the ambition to
become a school teacher. At this time teaching be-
gan to lift itself to a higher plane; well qualified
teachers were in good demand; belter schoolhouses
were being built, and the new and excellent school
system provided by the laws of Ohio made the
profession more honorable and remunerative. As
a first preparation to this end, and by the exercise
of great economy, as well as a little financial aid
received from his father, he was enabled to pay
liis way for two terms at the Mt. Union Semi-
nary. He was granted his first certificate (for nine
months) at New Philadelphia, Ohio, on the 14th
day of October, 1853, by P. W. Hardesty, P. H.
Ilaag (who wrote his full name with capital let-
ters) and M. H. Bartilson, County School Elxami-
ners. This certificate is still in his possession,
and is highly prized as a souvenir.

Mr. Garver taught his first school, of one hun-
dred days, in Franklin Township, Tuscarawas
County, Ohio, at $1 per day. At the end of the
term he had given such good satisfaction, that the
Directors met on the last d.iy and re-engaged him
to continue the school eighty days longer, to cover
all the money the district had in the treasury', thus
making a continuous term of one hundred and
eighty days. He then returned to Mt. Union
Seminary, and with the money he had saved was
able to pay his own way, and avail himself of
every facility and benefit afforded by tliis humble
but useful institution, which has since grown to be
one of the noble colleges of the land. Here he



120



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



attended school five terms in all, off and on, alter-
nately teaching winter schools at Navarre and its
vicinitJ^ He was the first teacher in his township
to have his wages raised to $1.50 per day, and well
remembers how strenuously some of the tax-payers
protested against the paying of such an outrageous
price, through fear that it would bankrupt the treas-
ury.

Having taken an active part in the election of
James Buchanan to the Presidency in 1856, by
making speeches in every school district in the
township, our subject was honored the spring
following by his party nominating and electing
him Justice of the Peace, at the age of twenty- two
years. He then served two successive terms in
this office, with satisfaction to his constituency and
honor to himself, and had the reputation of keeping
the best records in the county. During this time,
in partnership with his brother Alexander, he
purchased the drug store owned by Dr. James L.
Leeper, of Navarre, and together they conducted
the business for several years.

On the 8th day of October, 1858, Mr. Garver
was married to Franceska Kapizky, a very esti-
mable and well educated young lady, who, a few
years previously, had emigrated to this country
from Bavaria, Germany, and who was engaged in
teaching music at Navarre and Bolivar. As a
pianist she had few, if any, equals in the country,
and is still noted for her musical accomplishments,
and her ability to entertain her friends with charm-
ing and delightful music, though now of an age
when such things are usually laid aside in accord-
ance with the sedateness of whitening years. She
has made her husband a most excellent helpmate
in all his undertakings, and in the rearing and ed-
ucating of their five children has developed qual-
ities and made an impress for their moral, as well
as material, good which they will remember with
pride. They had nine children, four of whom
died in infancy.

In the fall of 1864 our subject took the su-
perintendency of Meyer Bros. & Co.'s wholesale
drug business at Ft. Wayne, Ind., at a salary of
$2,000 per year. This firm has branch houses at
St. Louis, Kansas City, Ft. Worth, Tex., and a



large importing trade in New York City, and has
the reputation of .transacting the largest similar
business in the world.

During the late Civil War Mr. Garver took an
active part in the recruiting service, and swore
into the military service of the United States not
less than five hundred soldiers. Among his most
treasured possessions bearing on this work are au-
tograph letters received by him from Gen. Ed M.
Can by. Gen. .James A. Hardie, of the War Depart-
ment, and William H. Seward, Secretary, and F. W.
Seward, Assistant Secretary, of the State Depart-
ment at Washington. He also served two years and
nine months as First Sergeant of Company D, of
the Forty-fifth Regiment, Ohio National Guards,
and one hundred days in Company H, of the One
Hundred and Sixty-second Regiment, Ohio Volun-
teer Infantry. During a part of his service, his
company was on detached duty, recruiting the One
Hundred and Seventeenth Regiment of United
States Colored Infantry in the state of Kentucky.
To detail the humorous, pathetic and serious inci-
dents, observations and experiences connected with
this invasion of slavedom for the purpose of enlist-
ing the negro as a soldier in the United States army,
would require a volume. It was no easy task, but
a regiment of over one thousand stalwart colored
men was recruited from the slaves of Kentucky,
which, physically speaking, had no superior in the
United States army. Among his most highly prized
papers is the executive order of thanks and cer-
tificate of honorable service issued by Preside"*
Abraham Lincoln and Secretary of War Edwin ] i.
Stanton to the Ohio National Guards for their
services. In this connection the military record
of his father's family is worthy of mention. His
father served six years in the Fii-st Regiment of
the Line in the army of the Grand Duke of Ba-
den, and his honorable discharge is now in the
possession of the subject of this sketch. His broth
er Eniil enlisted in Company F, of the Nineteenth
Ohio Volunteei-s,and was severely wounded in the
battle of Pittsburg Landing. His brother Charles
served three years, and to the close of the war, in
Company E, of the One Hundred and Fourth
Ohio Volunteers. His brother Kossuth, who is now



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



121



located at San Francisco, Cal., served sixteen years
in the regular army of the United States.

In the summer of 1866 Phiiii) A. Garver reluct-
antly severed his enviable and lucrative connec-
tion with Meyer Bros. & Co., who begged him to
remain with them at any salary that would satisfy
him. But on account of ill health in his family,
and the urgent persuasions of relatives and friends,
he removed to Strasburgh, Tuscarawas Countj-,
Ohio, and started a general store. He commenced
on a small scale what was then, probably, the first
real department store in that section. His idea
was that to do a successful business in a small
country village, there should be kept on sale any
and everything which enters into the daily wants
of the general public. In futherance of this idea,
he succeeded in establishing a good and fairly re-
munerative trade. In connection with his mer-
cantile interests he also served sixteen years as
Justice of the Peace of Franklin Township, Tusca-
rawas County, Oliio; sixteen years as Postmaster
at the village of Strasburgh, and also held the of-
fices of Township Treasurer, Clerk, School Direc-
tor and Notary Public. Among his oflSeial souv-
enirs are commissions issued to him as Justice of
the Peace and Notary Public by the following-
named Governors of Ohio: S. P. Chase, David Tod,
R. B. Hayes, Edward F. Noyes, W. Allen, Charles
Foster, Richard M. Bishop, George Hoadly, J. B.
Foraker and William McKinley. i

Born and raised in the Democratic faith, our j
subject was an ardent adherent of that party until j
the War of the Rebellion. Under the indignation |
caused by the secession of states from the Union,
and the patriotism aroused by the commencement
of actual war, old party ties were for the time cast
aside by the loyal people of the North, and all
were merged into the Union party. The purpose
was to unite men of all political shades into one
compact organization in support of the Govern-
ment until the rebellion was suppressed and the
Union saved. He was Chairman of the first Union
convention held in Stark County, Ohio, which was
a large and enthusiastic assemblage of the most
prominent citizens of all parties. The Union par-
ty was organized with the unanimous resolve of
firm cohesion till the encl of the war, but this did



not suit the politicians^ the office-seekers and the
partisan press, and it was of short duration. The
old parties were again reorganized as Democrats
and Republicans, and he felt constrained by pat-
riotic motives to afliliate with the Republicans,
and h.as remained a stanch Republican ever since.
In the year 188G Mr. Garver retired from active
business, and was succeeded by his sons, George Ru-
dolph and Gustave Albert, who, in partnership
witii their cousin, E. P. Kapizky, are conducting
the business, under the firm name of Garver Bros.
& Co., and have greatly enlarged upon his idea of
the department feature in country stores. Modest
and unassuming in all the relations of life, conten-
tious only for what he believes is right, his philos-
ophy sees in the steady progress and elevation of
the human race the final consummation of the uni-
versal brotherhood of man, the triumph of right
over wrong, peace, love and virtue everywhere,
and the merging of all beliefs and creeds in the
one sentiment of the highest good, happiness and
libertj' to all.



FRANK L. SCHICK, one of the enterpris-
ing and successful j'oung business men of
Cambridge, is eng.aged in partnership with
his brother John in operating an establishment
which is known as the Cambridge Steam Laundry.
Tlie fine work which is turned out here is its own
recommendation, and is gaining for the brothers a
large and increasing trade. In social as well as
business circles our subject is popular and well
liked by all.

Frank L. Schick, Sr.,was born in Germany, Jan-
uaiy 24, 1827, received a good common-school
education in his native land, and in early manhood
learned the mason's trade. Under his country's
laws he was pressed into the army, and served un-
der General Siegel. About the year 1849 he emi-
grated to the United States, and, settling near
Montreal, Canada, plied his trade for a short time.



122



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



For the uext two years he lived in various eastern
cities, and in 1853 removed to Barnesville, Bel-
mont County, Ohio. Here he met Miss Harriet
Dorsey, who became his wife the followino; year.

After his marriage our subject's father located
in Cambridge, where he continued to dwell dur-
ing the remainder of his life. Ho was a workman
possessed of much skill, and was foreman in the
stone-masonry construction department of the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company for many
3'ears. Under his supervision the tunnel near Cam-
bridge on this railroad was built, and he was also
foreman of masonry in the construction of the
Paltimore & Ohio Railroad shops at Newark. He
was actively engaged in business until about two
j'ears before his death, which occurred June 13,
1892.

Frank L. Schick, Jr., was born September 29,
1861, and is one of seven children, the others
being as follows: Joseph L., born August 23,
1855; Julia, January 6, 1857; William, February
13, 1860; John B., September 25, 1866; Sarah,
June 30, 1864; and Fredericka M., October 7,
1870. AVilliam died March 10, 1860; and Sarah
was called to her final rest October 14, 1875. The
youngest daughter became tlie wife of Adam Rit-
ter, of Cambridge. The mother of these children
was born in Calvert County, Md., May 7, 1828,
and is a daughter of Talbert and Sarah (Barker)
Dorsey, likewise natives of Maryland. Frank L.
Schick, Sr., was a Democrat, and fraternally was
a Mason of the Thirty-second Degree, and identi-
fied with tiie Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
He was a member of the Lutheran Church, but his
wife belongs to the Presbyterian denomination.

The subject of this sketch was educated in the
public schools of Cambridge, and learned from his
father the mason's trade, which he followed for a
number of years. He then turned his attention to
the laundry business, which he is now operating,
and in which he has prospered. As did his father
before him, he uses his ballot in support of the
Democratic party, and is also a member of the Ma-
sonic fraternity.

November 18, 1884, Mr. Schick married Lillie
B. Porter, who is a daughter of John and Ruth
(West) Porter, and was born in Belmont County,



in April 1863. To Mr. and Mrs. Schick have been
born five children, four sons and a daughter,
namely: Charles L., Frederick P., Harry A., Lillie
R. and Frank.



-♦^^©^ei^^N-



PROF. ALVA B. HALL was called to accept
the principatship of the Cambridge High
School in 1891, and is still serving in that
position. Though a young man, he has had con-
siderable experience as an educator, and has met
with distinct success in his chosen life vocation.
Under his direction the high school of this city
has fully sustained its excellence and fine system.
Professor Hall is a Republican in politics, and
is now serving his sixth year as County Examiner.

A native of Guernsey County, A. B. Hall was
both near Spencer's Station, August 8, 1859. His
parents, Amos and Deborah (Webster) Hall, were
likewise natives of this county. Nathan, father of
Amos Hall, was born in North Carolina, and came
to Ohio ill 1826. At that time he was seventeen
years of age, and at his death, which occurred
February 8, 1880, he was in his .seventy-second
year. His wife bore the maiden name of Deborah
Parry. Tlie great-grandfather of our subject, Ca-
leb Hall, was a farmer and a pioneer of the Buckeye
State. Mrs. Deboraii (Webster) Hall was a daugh-
ter of Thomas and Anna Webster, natives, respec-
tively, of Westmoreland County, Pa., and Loudoun
County, Va. Thomas Webster located near the
site of Quaker City at a very early day. Amos
Hall and his wife had but three children, of whom
the Professor is the eldest, and the others are Clar-
ence W., an employe of the Cambridge Roofing
Company; and Clayton T., a physician, who is
practicing in Warren County, Ohio. Amos Hall
died in 1882, aged forty-five years, while bis wife,
who survived him about five years, was fifty-two
years old at the time of her demise.

Alva B. Hall was reared to farm life, and re-
ceived a district-school education in his boyhood.
He added to this by a course of training at the



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD".



123



Vriends' Boarding Scliool at Barncsville, Ohio, and
at tlie Central Normal at Danville, Ind. In 1877
he commenced teaching in the countrj' schools of
Noble County, Ohio, and taught for forty-five
months in that localitj'. P'or sixty-three consecu-
tive months he was Principal and Superintendent
of the Quaker City Schools. In 1891, as we have
before stated, he came to this place and assumed
his present responsible i)Osition. Fraternally lie is
a Knight of Pythias, and of the Masonic order is a
Knight Templar. Religiously he is a member of
the Metliodist Episcopal denomination.

April 6, 1882, Professor Hall married Ella Lay,
and three children, all daughters, have come to
bless their home, their names being as follows:
Laura Grace, Edna Bertha and Ethel Goldie.



^■>^^



Online LibraryHenry James LeePortrait and biographical record of Guernsey County, Ohio, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with biographies and portraits of all the p → online text (page 9 of 83)