Copyright
Herbert Hunt.

Washington, west of the Cascades; historical and descriptive; the explorers, the Indians, the pioneers, the modern; (Volume 3) online

. (page 1 of 76)
Online LibraryHerbert HuntWashington, west of the Cascades; historical and descriptive; the explorers, the Indians, the pioneers, the modern; (Volume 3) → online text (page 1 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


J II I, f f^mfm^



»■ jiiPl^iiui ig^^ij|i^p*i«pp^



NYPL RESEARCH LIBRARIES



3 3433 08



78386 6



1



xt



WASHINGTON



West of the Cascades



ILLUSTRATED



VOLUME III



CHICAGO SEATTLE TACOMA

THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY

1917



I ll r \ > I



(■■



, J > , ■»






THE NEW YOEK
PUBLIC LIBRARY |

367661A

ASTOR, LMNOX AND

TtLDEN FOUNDATIONS

R 1928 L



•Li jUHU'I '



'■^ ...?OT-:. • i

_i






HE NEW YORK
PUBLIC UBRARY



^.STOR, LENOX
.'ii-DEN FOUNDATION




SIDNEY A. PERKINS



BIOGRAPHICAL



SIDNEY ALBERT PERKINS.

Sidney Albert Perkins, proprietor of the Tacoma Ledger, the Tacoma Daily
News and other newspapers in the northwest, was born in Boston, Massachusetts,
May 6, 1865. He is the son of George Goodwin and Emily (Cleveland) Perkins.
His mother was a cousin of President Grover Cleveland. His father was a
well known Congregational minister, who removed his family to Iowa, where the
son had his first experience in newspaper work. But before that he had had
many difficulties in his efforts to earn enough money for his schooling. A con-
siderable part of that money came from the sale of tinware among the farmers
of the surrounding country on Saturdays. Through one summer he worked as
a brakeman on a railroad and for three seasons he herded cattle. For several
months he worked for a farmer who paid him in young pigs which the energetic
youth herded in the commons and fed on buttermilk hauled from a creamery,
and he realized one thousand eleven dollars from the sale of them. These
experiences were delightful as they gave him an outdoor life, which he always
has desired.

For seven years Mr. Perkins was a traveling salesman with headquarters
in Chicago. It was this work that brought him to Tacoma, September 5, 1886,
where he met William P. Bonney, then in the drug business on Pacific avenue,
and they formed a partnership under the name of Bonney & Perkins. Mr. Per-
kins gave up his Chicago position and remained here. The firm sold drugs and
specialties at wholesale, covering a wide territory, and had a very prosperous
business until the depression of the early '90s, when the firm lost everything.
Mr. Perkins did not have a dollar, but he did not complain. He found employ-
ment at one dollar and a half a day, hustling shingle bolts, and later he obtained
a position in the city water department, turning water off and on, at seventy-five
dollars a month.

In 1896 Mr. Perkins formed the Young Men's Republican Club. He had
been active in politics ever since coming to Tacoma. He had a considerable
acquaintance in the east and that, with the attention which the activities of the
club attracted, enabled him to obtain the assistant secretaryship of the republican
national committee. As soon as he had assumed the duties he became one of
the movers in the organization of the American Republican College League,
which acquired a large membership and had a notable influence in the campaign.
In the course of the campaign he established confidential relations with Hon.
Marcus A. Hanna, chairman of the committee, and he became Mr. Hanna's
private secretary. When Mr. Hanna was elected to the United States senate

5



6 WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES

Mr. Perkins continued as his private secretary, a position in which he was in-
trusted with a large part of the correspondence of the national committee, of
which Senator Hanna still was chairman, as well as with much other political
work requiring ability and fidelity.

In 1898, while still in Senator Hanna's employ, he bought the Tacoma Daily
News and a part of the stock of the Ledger Company. Later he acquired the
complete ownership of the Ledger. After buying the News he sent Albert John-
son, a well known Washington city newspaper man, out to become its editor.
Mr. Johnson is now a member of congress from this state. In 1901 he left
Senator Hanna's office and came west to take personal charge of his properties.
Neither of the papers then was on a profitable basis. He at once converted them
into metropolitan papers and by careful business and editorial management made
them profitable and gave them a state-wide circulation. Early in 1900 he
acquired the Everett Herald and quickly put that on a much stronger basis.
Later he acquired the Bellingham Herald, and the Bellingham American and
Reveille, the Morning Olympian of Olympia, and he established the Daily
Recorder, of Olympia. He owns the Tacoma Engraving Company and is
vice president of the Pacific-Alaska S. S. Company, one of the large and
progressive steamship concerns of the west coast, is vice president of the Pacific
Coast Gypsum Company and is interested in other enterprises of importance.
In 1906 he built the six story Perkins building at A and Eleventh streets, as a
home for his Tacoma papers, and a year later a structure of the same size and
architectural style was added to it.

Of the leading papers in Washington his alone have been steadfast in their
allegiance to the principles of republicanism, and they never have ridden the
waves of populism, free-silverism and other passing political notions. It has
been said of him he is "a hard fighter but he holds no postmortems," and many
of his adversaries have become his best friends. His Tacoma papers were the
first in the state to declare for woman suffrage and they have led in many other
movements for better political and economic conditions.

In 1912 Mr. Perkins became a member of the republican national committee
and he was reelected last spring. He now is a member of the executive com-
mittee and of the campaign committee. He never has aspired to public office and
four years ago refused to accept a high diplomatic post. Few men have a larger
acquaintance among American political and financial leaders.

He has taken an active interest in good roads work and in 1911-12 wa?
president of the Washington Good Roads Association. He has been closely
connected with the city's commercial bodies and is on the board of managers
of the Associated Charities. His charitable interests have been centered largely
upon the Children's Home, the curing of deformed children and the education
of boys. He is serving' his third term as commodore of the Tacoma Yacht club,
and in 1911-12 was president of the Pacific International Power Boat Associa-
tion. His yacht El Primero is one of the largest and handsomest on the Sound
and probably no boat on the coast has been honored by entertaining so many
distinguished men. i\mong them have been President Roosevelt, President Taft,
Vice President Fairbanks, and many cabinet members, senators, congressmen
and others of note. Mr. Perkins has one of the finest collections of autographed
photographs in the countr>'. It embraces the portraits of most of the prominent
men of the nation for nearly two decades.



WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES 7

On November 17, 1896, Mr. Perkins married Miss Ottilie Walther, daughter
of a prominent St. Paul physician, and they have three children, Virginia Thorne,
Ottilie Walther and Elinore Cleveland. As a Mason Mr. Perkins is a Knight
Templar and a hfe member of the Shrine. He also is a Hfe member of the Elks
and a Hfe member of the Knights of Pythias. He is a member of the Union,
Commercial and Country clubs. The family live at 501 North D street.



WERNER ANDREW RUPP.

Werner Andrew Rupp, who since June i, 1908, has been publisher and editor
of the Aberdeen World, has devoted his life to newspaper work since completing
his college course and his activities have in considerable measure furthered the
interests of the section in which he lives. A native of Adrian, Michigan, he was
born April 25, 1880, his parents being Bernard Heinrich and Sarah Elizabeth
(Hinman) Rupp. Becoming a resident of Washington in his boyhood days, he
supplemented his early education by study in Whitman College at Walla Walla,
from which he was graduated in June, 1899, with the degree of Bachelor of
Science. He first took up the profession of teaching, but after a brief period
turned his attention to the newspaper field and for six years was editorial writer
on the Tacoma News of Tacoma, W^ashington. He had broad experience to fit
him for his present interests and activities and on the ist of June, 1908, he
became owner of the Aberdeen World, which he has since edited and published,
making it one of the best newspapers of the western coast.

On the 27th of April, 1909, at Boise, Idaho, Mr. Rupp was united in mar-
riage to Miss Lyda Cox, her parents being Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Cox, of that city.
For a quarter of a century her father has been the partner of ex-Governor John
Haines of Idaho. Mr. Rupp is a member of the Aberdeen Lodge of Elks, of the
Grays Harbor Country Club, the University Club of Tacoma and the X Society
of Whitman College. In politics he is an independent republican and has taken
a prominent and active part in political affairs, serving as chairman of the repub-
lican state central committee of Washington from 1912 until 1914. His military
record covers service as second lieutenant of the O. R. C. National Guard of
Washington.



JAMES D. LOWMAN.



James D. Lowman is a capitalist of Seattle, whose steady progression in busi-
ness has brought him to a foremost place in the ranks of enterprising and suc-
cessful men of the northwest. His plans have always been carefully formulated
and with unfaltering determination he has carried them forward to successful
completion. He was born at Leitersburg, Maryland, on the 5th of October, 1856,
and in early manhood came to the northwest, establishing his home in Seattle in
1877. His parents were Daniel S. and Caroline (Lytle) Lowman, the former
of German lineage, while the latter came of English ancestry. They maintained
their residence in Leitersburg during the boyhood of their son James, who there



8 WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES

attended the public schools until graduated from the high school. He afterward
engaged in teaching for one year but the opportunities of the growing northwest
attracted him and in 1877 ^^ ^^^^ ^^^ '^^^ home to identify his interests with those
of Washington. He was but twenty years of age when he arrived at Seattle, and
securing the position as assistant wharf master on Yesler's wharf, he occupied
that position through four years. In the meantime he carefully saved his earn-
ings, prompted by the hope of one day engaging in business on his own account
and after four years had been passed in the northwest he had a sufficient capital
to enable him to purchase a half interest in the book store of W. H. Pumphrey,
thus forming the firm of Pumphrey & Lowman. That relation was maintained
for two years and at the end of that time he purchased his partner's interest,
becoming sole proprietor. He afterward organized a stock company, however,
and took over the job printing plant of Clarence Hanford, at which time the
Lowman & Hanford Stationery & Printing Company was formed. Mr. Lowman
has since been the president and principal stockholder in that undertaking and
the business has been developed through all the passing years until it has become
one of extensive proportions, yielding a most gratifying profit.

The life of Mr. Lowman has been a most active, busy and resultant one. In
1886 recognition of his ability came to him in appointment to the position of
trustee of all of Henry L. Yesler's property and he assumed entire control and
management thereof. That was at a period when there was widespread business
depression throughout the entire Sound countr}'. There was little demand for
real estate and security values had decreased to an alarming extent. The Yesler
property was largely encumbered and it required the utmost watchfulness, care
and business ability to so direct aft'airs that prosperity would accrue. Seattle
knows the history of Mr. Lowman's eft"orts in that direction. He recognized
and utilized every available opportunity and in a comparatively short space of
time placed the business interests of the Yesler estate upon a firm and substantial
basis, the property being greatly increased in value. A disastrous fire occurred
on the 6th of June, 1889, destroying much of the property of the Yesler estate,
yet notwithstanding this the direction of Mr. Lowman led from apparent defeat
to victory in business management. Moreover, the efforts of Mr. Lowman in this
and other connections have been a most important element in the improvement
and development of the city. For the Yesler holdings he erected three of the
finest business blocks in the city and made various other improvements elsewhere
in Seattle. He organized the Yesler Coal, Wood & Lumber Company, built and
operated a sawmill on Lake Washington, reached by the Seattle, Lake Shore &
Eastern Railroad, and platted and laid out the town site of Yesler. In addition
to all of the onerous and extensive duties devolving upon him in connection with
those enterprises, he became administrator of Mrs. Yesler's estate by appoint-
ment in 1887. That Mr. Lowman is a most forceful and resourceful business
man, the public fully acknowledges. In his vocabulary there seems no such word
as fail. He carefully considers every question and every phase of a business
proposition before he acts upon it, but when once his mind is made up he is
determined in his course and neither obstacles nor difficulties can bar him from
his path. He knows that if one avenue of advancement is closed he can mark
out another that will enable him to reach the desired goal.

Outside of the extensive Yesler interests, Mr. Lowman at the same time



WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES 9

developed and expanded his own private business affairs. In addition to acting
as president of the Lowman & Hanford Stationery & Printing Company he became
a trustee and the secretary of the Denny Hotel Company, a trustee and the largest
stockholder in the Steam Heat & Power Company, was a trustee in the Guarantee
Loan & Trust Company, the James Street Electric & Cable Railway Company
and the Washington National Bank. He was president of and a large stockholder
in the Seattle Theater Company, which built the Seattle Theater immediately
after the fire, when there was no theater in the city. With Mr. Furth he obtained
a franchise for the Stone & Webster Company, which succeeded in consolidating
all the street car lines of the city into one organization. He also built the Lowman
building and he is one of the trustees and vice president of The Union Savings
& Trust Company.

In 1881 Mr. Lowman was united in marriage to Miss Mary R. Emery, of
Seattle. He is a member of the Rainier, Arctic, Seattle Athletic and Seattle Golf
Clubs. For three successive terms he was president of the Chamber of Com-
merce. He is widely known in the city where for thirty-eight years he has made
his home, and any student of Seattle history must recognize how important has
been the part which he has played in its upbuilding and progress. His labors
have ever been of a nature that have contributed to public prosperity as well as
individual success and he may justly be regarded as one of the foremost promoters
of this metropolis of the Sound country.



CHARLES H. PARK.



Charles H. Park, who since November, 1908, has been supervisor in charge of
the forestry service of the Bellingham district, has resided in the northwest from
early boyhood although born in Fairmount Springs, Pennsylvania, June 13, 1872.
He is a son of Charles N. and Elizabeth R. Park, the former a native of Luzerne
county, Pennsylvania, where he was reared and educated and afterward engaged
in farming, following that pursuit in his native locality until 1877, when he removed
to Cottonwood, Kansas, where he engaged in farming for six months. On the
expiration of that period he became a resident of Gunnison county, Colorado,
where he was employed on a ranch until 1880. He next became a surveyor for
the United States government in Colorado and afterward went to Whatcom, now
Bellingham, Washington, where he continued in the same line of work and also
carried on farming near the city. In 1894 he returned to Colorado, settling at Hot
Springs, where soon afterward he passed away. He was married in Fairmount
Springs, Pennsylvania, to Elizabeth R. Harrison on the 4th of July, 1871, and they
became the parents of six children : Charles H. ; Daisy R. and Hattie, both de-
ceased ; Eppyphras, a resident of Fort Benton, Montana ; Frances E., who is teach-
ing in Montana ; and Mrs. Rosie A. Smoot, also of Fort Benton.

Charles H. Park was a little lad of but five years when his parents removed
with their family to Colorado, where he attended the district schools until he
reached the age of twelve years. The family home was then established in Belling-
ham, Washington, where he was again a public school pupil for a year. FTe after-
ward worked upon his father's farm until he reached the age of seventeen years



10 WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES

and still later, anxious to improve his education, he attended the normal school at
Lynden, Washington, in which he pursued his studies to the age of nineteen years.
He afterward took up the profession of teaching, which he followed in Whatcom
county for four years, and at the end of that period he turned his attention to the
shingle business, in which he was engaged until April i, 1907. He afterward
entered the United States forestry service as assistant supervisor in that depart-
ment and in November, 1908, he was appointed supervisor in charge of the Belling-
ham district, which position he now occupies. He is making an excellent record
by the prompt and able manner in which he discharges his duties, and he thoroughly
understands and meets the demands of the position.



NICHOLAS B. CHALLACOMBE.

Nicholas B. Challacom.be, engaged in the undertaking business in Everett,
was born in Challacombe, Macoupin county, Illinois, November 18, 1861. His
father, Nicholas Challacombe, Sr., a native of Devonshire, England, was a son
of John Challacombe, the founder of the American branch of the family. He
came to the new world in 1833, settling first in New York, and after six months
he removed to Macoupin county, Illinois, casting in his lot with the pioneer settlers
there. He followed agricultural pursuits and Nicholas Challacombe, Sr., took up
the same line of work, continuing his residence in Macoupin county until he
passed away at the old home place November 3, 1896, when he was seventy-two
years of age. He was very active in local afifairs and for twenty years served
as supervisor in Chesterfield tov.-nship. His political allegiance was always given
to the republican party. He was also a prominent member of the Presbyterian
church and for more than forty years served as an elder. In early manhood he
wedded Nancy G. Carson, a native of Tennessee and a daughter of William Har-
vey Carson, a representative of an old family of that state, of Scotch-Irish descent.
An uncle of Mrs. Challacombe, Gideon Blackburn, was the founder of Blackburn
University of Carlinville, Illinois. Mrs. Challacombe is still living on the old
homestead, to which she went as a bride sixty-eight years ago, and she is still a
member of the same Sunday-school, which she joined eighty-three years ago.
She was born August 26, 1829, and Mr. Challacombe was born June 19. 1824.
The former has therefore reached the age of eighty-seven years. By her
marriage she became the mother of eight children, seven of whom are yet liv-
ing: Mary E., who is the widow of Arthur Hartwell and resides at Challacombe,
Illinois; Dora J., the widow of J. K. Butler, of Wenatchee, Washington; J. W.,
living at Challacombe, Illinois ; Fannie, the wife of J. S. Searles, of Medora, Illi-
nois; Nicholas B. ; IMabel, the wife of A. L. Birchard, secretary of the board
of education of Everett, Washington ; and Professor Wesley A. Challacombe,
who is professor of mathematics in Blackburn University at Carlinville, Illinois.

After attending the country schools Nicholas B. Challacombe continued his
education in Blackburn University at Carlinville, Illinois, and in Brown's Business
College at Jacksonville, that state. His youthful days were spent upon the home
farm and after he had attained his majority he took up the study of undertaking,
being graduated from the Barnes College of Embalming in Chicago in 1898. He




NICHOLAS B. CIL\LLAC0:MBE



^THE NEW YORK
PUBLIC UBRAFY

ASTOR, LENOX
TILDEN FOUNDATIOK



WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES 13

first entered the undertaking business at Greenfield, Illinois, where he remained
for three years, and in 1901 he arrived in Everett, Washijigton, where he estab-
lished business at No. 2812 Rockefeller avenue. He has since been active in that
line and now has a well appointed undertaking establishment, containing a beau-
tiful chapel in which services can be held, and private rooms for families. This
is one of the finest chapels in Washington and his equipment is all first class. He
has built up a business of gratifying proportions, meeting with well merited
success.

At Springfield, Illinois, June 18, 1889, ^^^- Challacombe wa-s united in mar-
riage to Miss Anna Dannel, a native of Jersey county, Illinois, and a daughter of
John and Mary (Palmer) Dannel, who were early settlers of that section and are
now deceased. Two sons have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Challacombe. Stowell,
born in Challacombe, Illinois, June 30, 1890, is now connected with the Ewart
Lumber Company, of Cashmere, Washington. Arthur D., born June i, 1896,
resides in Everett. He entered West Point July 14, 1916, but on account of not
being able to distinguish colors well he returned home in October, 1916. The
elder son married Emily Irvine, a native of Everett and a daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Benjamin Irvine, early settlers of that city. There is one child of that mar-
riage, Eileen.

Mr. and Mrs. Challacombe occupy a pleasant home at No. 2601 Hoyt street,
which property they own. He is a member of the Commercial Club and he
exercises his right of franchise in support: Of the liien and measures of the repub-
lican party. He is connected' with tlie Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the
Masons, the Red Men, the Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen of
America, all of Everett; is a member of the Washington State Undertakers Asso-
ciation, and for the past fifteen years he has been an elder of the First Presby-
terian church of Everett. His life has been guided by high and honorable prin-
ciples and worthy motives and his many good qualities of heart and mind, com-
bined with his business ability and his loyalty in citizenship, have established him
in a notable position in public regard.



FRANK DRAKE, Jr.



Among the prominefit educators of Washington is Frank Drake, Jr., who is
now so efficiently filling the position of superintendent of schools in Port Town-
send. He was born on the 14th of February, 1881, in Welmore, Kansas, his
parents being Irving Oliver and Katherine (Crowley) Drake, both natives of
New York state, though they were married in Chicago, Illinois. During the
Civil war the father was one of the mechanics in the employ of the government
and as such assisted in building the Merrimac. In 1870 he removed to Kansas
and continued to make his home there until called to his final rest in 1892 at the
age of fifty-two years. His widow, who was born in 1843, is still living and
makes her home in Emporia, that state.

Frank Drake is the sixth in order of birth in a family of eight children,
there being four sons and four daughters. He began his education in the public
schools and later attended the Kansas State Normal School at Emporia, from



U WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES

which he was graduated in 1906. Later he was a student at the Kansas State
University and was graduated from that institution in 1908. While still in school
he served as a reporter for the Kansas City Times and later for the Denver Post
and the Cheyenne Tribune, but after leaving the university turned his attention
to educational work, teaching in the schools of Kansas for a time. He served
as city superintendent of schools, both in Perry and Ellis, Kansas, and during
the summer months devoted his time to newspaper work until 1912. In 1910
he removed to Wyoming to become superintendent of the schools of Cody and
while there he also served as deputy county assessor of Park county. On
leaving there he came to Washington and accepted the principalship of the
high school at Mossyrock, where he remained one term. Mr. Drake was then
chosen principal of the high school at Centralia, where he spent two years. In



Online LibraryHerbert HuntWashington, west of the Cascades; historical and descriptive; the explorers, the Indians, the pioneers, the modern; (Volume 3) → online text (page 1 of 76)