Historical Society of Southern California.

Annual publication of the Historical Society of Southern California and of the Pioneers of Los Angeles County (Volume yr.1902-1904) online

. (page 27 of 29)
Online LibraryHistorical Society of Southern CaliforniaAnnual publication of the Historical Society of Southern California and of the Pioneers of Los Angeles County (Volume yr.1902-1904) → online text (page 27 of 29)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

who survives him.

The high respect in which Mr. Teed was held by his fellow
citizens was frequently m.anifested by them. He was five times
elected to the city council and served for six years as park com-
missioner. Fraternally he was a Royal Arch Mason. He was one
of the founders of the Pioneer Society. He died March 31, 1904.


Nathaniel Coburn Carter was born at Lowell, Massa-
chusetts, January 24th, 1840. He died at his home at Sierra
Madre. Los Angeles county, California, September 2nd, 1904,
and was buried at the Sierra Madre graveyard, on Sunday, the
4th day of September, 1904, with the beautiful services of the
Christian Science Society, of which he was a prominent member.
His funeral was attended by a very large number of his friends
and neighbors. Bro. Carter was married in February, 1864.
His wife Annetta M. Carter survives him, and five children,
Florence, wife of W. H. Mead, residing in Los Angeles; Arthur
N. Carter, Julia F. Carter, Anita E. Carter and Philip C. Carter,
are all residents of Los Angeles county. On account of his
health, Bro. Carter came to Los Angeles, arriving here in the
month of November, 1871. His health improving rapidly he
purchased a home at what is now Alhambra, and was one of the
first to develope the possibilities of that locality. His planting
of citrus and deciduous fruits, together with his vineyard, were
wonders of growth and productiveness. His home was attrac-


tive surrounded as it was by a wonderful showing of beautiful
and rare plants and flowers. In 1872, Bro. Carter organized the
first overland excursions, by way of the sea, from Los Angeles
to San Francisco, thence east by Central and Union Pacific rail-
roads; by which means he induced many old residents of South-
ern California to visit the eastern states and tell their friends of
the beauties and glories of Southern California. Through these
excursions, covering many years, Bro. Carter probably brought
to Los Angeles county more worthy and enterprising settlers
than any other person living or dead. He sold his Alhambra
home place, and, in 1881, purchased one thousand one hundred
acres of the Santa Anita Rancho of E. J. Baldwin and divided it
into twenty and forty acre tracts, and sold it to permanent
settlers, who have built the handsome town of Sierra Madre,
and near it he built his splendid residence "Carterhia." Mr.
Carter was one of the foremost founders of the Southern Cali-
fornia Horticultural Society and was for years editor and owner
of the Rural Californian, the oldest agricultural paper in South-
ern California. He was for many years a member and director
of the Sixth District Agricultural Society, and for many years a
member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and an active
and earnest member of the Society of Pioneers of Los Angeles
county, and filling important offices of the socitey with credit to
himself and profit to the society. One of the last acts of his life
was the filling out of the application for membership of one of
the men he brought in an excursion 25 years ago.

While Bro. Carter was a Republican in political matters
he was not an oft'ensive partisan. He was a devout believer in
Christian Science. Few men in Southern California, if any.
have done so much as he has in biulding up the southland, in
creating happy homes, planting orchards and vineyards that will
not perish until after generations of men have passed away.

"He sleeps in the land of his choice."

"He fell at his post doing duty."




To the Pioneers of Los Angeles County:

Our Brother Omri J. Bullis, who was the victim of a fatal
accident at his ranch, Lynwood, in this county, had (but a few


days before) been proposed for membership, and trerefore was
not generally acquainted with most of our body, but those who
knew him best can truthfully say he was a real pioneer in our
valley, and his name welcome on our roll.

Born in 1837, at Chatham, Columbia county. New York, he
at an early age went to New York City, rendering faithful ser-
vice on its police force for five years. He came to Compton in
1872, settling at what is known as Lynwood, and became an
influential farmer. In politics he was Democratic, and was
several years ago elected County Tax Collector, proving a faith-
ful, painstaking official.

He died aged 67 and the record of his life proves a good
use of his time. He was a faithful friend and kindly neighbor,
as attested by the great concourse at his funeral. He leaves a
widow, son, daughter, two brothers and a sister to whom we
extend our sympathy.




George Edwin Gard was born in Warren County, Ohio,
in 1843, ^nd resided in his native state until 1859, when he came
overland to California in company with an uncle. He lived two
years in San Jose, and then engaged in mining in the County
of Mariposa, State of California. He enlisted in Company "H",
7th California Infantry in 1864, for service in the civil war, and
was active in the organization of his company, and by vote of
his company received appointment as first sergeant, and served
with his company until March, 1866. In 1871, he was on the
city police force and did excellent work in his office, distins:-
uishing himself above his fellow officers for his tact in the cap-
ture of criminals. Later he was a deputy in the County Clerk's
office, and was chief deputy under Recorder Charles E. Miles.
He was appointed United States Marshall by President

In 1 88 1, Mr. Gard was appointed Chief of Police and in
1882 was a deputy sherifif of Los Angeles County, and in 1S8:;
was elected sheriff. In 1886 he engaged in orange grov/ing
near Azusa in Los Angeles County, and later was the leading
private detective in this part of the state. His services beins


sought for in Arizona and Mexico in most difficult and daring
enterprises for the capture of criminals of all classes.

Major Gard was active in the formation and organization
of the Eagle Corps, the first company of the present 7th Regi-
ment National Guard of California. He was a leading spirit in
matters pertaining to the G. A. R., being a charter member of
Bartlett Post, No. 6, being at one time post commander. In
1890 he was elected Department Commander of G. A. R. of
California, which included the state of CaHfornia, Nevada and
Hawaiian Islands.

In 1869, he was married to Miss Kate Hammell, a sister of
our present efficient Chief of Pohce of Los Angeles City. She
died some years ago, leaving two children, William Brant and
Georgetta Gard, who are both living.

Major George Edwin Gard arrived in Los Angeles County
in 1866, and died in Pasadena, March loth, 1904, being at the
time of his death a member in good standing of the Society of
Pioneers of Los Angeles County.

"Peace to his ashes and honor to his memory."


J. D. Dunlap was born in the town of Antrim, New Hamp-
shire, May 25, 1825. In the early forties he went to Zanesville,
Ohio, and in 1846, from there he went to Mexico, arriving at
Matamoras about Christmas of that year. Joining the commis-
sary department there, he was ordered by Col. Taylor to report to
Capt. Wm. Barksdale of the Second Mississippi Rifles, at
Carmago, to serve as chief clerk. Captain afterwards General
Barksdale of the Confedierate Army, was killed on the Potomac
river in the civil war.

After the close of the Mexican War, Mr. Dunlap returned
to Ohio. In 1849, h^ started for California by way of New
Orleans and the Isthmus. He remained some time at Panama,
engaging in auction and commission business. He was a wit-
ness of the celebrated May riots of Panama in 1850. He saw
one American stoned to death, and several natives shot, and, he
himself, had a narrow escape from being starved to death. He
left Panama for San Francisco, where he arrived in September,


1850. He worked in the mines near Georgetown, in Placer
County, till the spring of '51, from there he moved to Shasta
County, where he remained till 1859, when he came with J. J.
Tomlinson to Los Angeles County, and acted as his agent for
two years at the "Embarcadero," or Port of San Pedro, in the
lightering, staging and teaming business between San Pedro
and Los Angeles.

For several years thereafter he followed various occupations
in Idaho, Nevada, Montana and Utah. He was employed by
Campbell & Bufifum as bookkeeper at Prescott, Arizona, for
two years; returning to Los Angeles he took a grading contract
on the Los Angeles and San Pedro Railroad then being built.
He served as Deputy U. S. Marshall from 1868 to 1890 or '91,
or about twenty-three years, under Marshals Rand, Governeur
Morris, Marcellus, Poole, Drew, Risley and Gard.

He acted as land-grader for the Southern Pacific Railroad
for three years. One of the notable episodes connected with this
service was the eviction of the settlers of the Mussel Slough, in
Tulare County, when seven men were killed.

Mr. Dunlap was married to Mrs. Clara S. Crooks, January
28, 1885, at San Francisco.

Mr. Dunlap was the possessor of many sterling qualities
and was highly respected by all who knew him.

He died June 26, 1904, in his 80th year. His wife and
children survive him.

Los Angeles, Sept. 6, 1904.




Mrs. Cornelia Shaffer, wife of our esteemed brother
Pioneer, Mr. John Shafifer, died at her home, No. 200 Boyle
Ave., this city, July 28, 1904.

Mrs. Shaffer was bom at Deleasel, Holland, September 25,
1825, where she and her husband were reared and schooled to-
gether. Her father was for many years a custom house officer.
Her marriage to John Shaffer was a romance pure and simple.
At the age of 16, after plighting their troth, he bade her good
bye and left his native land to seek his fortune, and make a home
for himself and his sweetheart. After wandering for several


years as a sailor, in 1848, he landed in California, and immedi-
ately struck out for the gold fields, where he soon ''made a

In the fall of 1850 he returned to Holland to the "girl he
left behind," who was still waiting for his return. They were
soon married in the sarne little town, in February, 185 1, and
left immediately for Arfierica, arriving in New York in March,
same year. For several years they were unsettled, living in
different states without any special financial advancement;
finally they decided to go west, and arrived in Los Angeles in
1872, "fiat broke." He soon went into the business of making
tents and awnings on a small scale, toiling with the needle early
and late. Mrs. Shaffer was always her husband's counselor in
business matters. The fever of speculation never attacked them.
They lived economically, devoted to each other, and to their
business interests, caring little for society. As their business in-
creased they made investments with care, and the competency
which they accumulated for their old age was the result of trte
increase in value of these investments. Mrs. Shaffer was a
woman of kind heart, quiet and retiring in her nature, sympa-
thetic and generous to the needy. Her home was a synonym,
of the old time hospitality of Holland, and those who were so
fortunate as to possess her friendship found the latch string of
her door always on the outside.

Three years ago last February she and her husband cele-
brated their golden wedding with a beautiful reception to their
friends, and fellow Pioneers. About 200 guests were present
and enjoyed the evening, and the sumptuous banquet prepared.
The occasion will be long remembered by those whose fortunate
enough to be present.

Mrs. Shaffer was a charter member of the Compton Chap-
ter of the Order of the Eastern Star, under whose auspices the
funeral services were conducted, together with the closing ser-
vices of the Masonic Order. The pall bearers were composed
of three Pioneers and three Masons. She was laid to rest in a
lot in Evrgreen Cemetery that she selected a long time ago.
where stands a beautiful monument waiting to be inscribed with
the names of Cornelia and John Shaffer.





Thomas D. Mott, pioneer and capitalist, died suddenly of
heart failure at his residence, No, 8io South Union Avenue,
February 19, 1904.

It was in a historic place that Mr. Mott first saw the light
of day. He was born July 31, 1829, at Schuylerville, Saratoga
County, N. Y., which place was the scene of important inci-
dents in the War of the Revolution. Young Mott began his
business career at the age of 14 as clerk in a general mer-
chandise store in his native town. Salaries for boys did not run
high there in those days. As conpensation for plenty of hard
work young Mott received his board and $25 per year.

His natural aptitude and ambition led him to seek a more
inviting field for the exercise of his business abilities and, soon
after the beginning of the gold' excitement in California, he
left his home and came to San Francisco by way of Panama.
The journey occupied the greater part of six months and was
accompanied by numerous perils and privations.

Soon after his arrival in San Francisco Mr. Mott secured
lucrative employment in the mines of the northern counties.
With great persistency and rigid economy he secured sufficient
capital to embark in a general merchandise business in Stockton,
where fortune smiled on him. At the age of 21 he started out
with a snug sum of accumulated capital to invade other fields of

His attention was directed to the commercial possibilities
of establishing a suitable ferry system over the San Joaquin
River and in that venture he succeeded to his utmost expecta-
tions until in 1852 he disposed of his interests in the northern
part of the state, and cast his lot with what was then the pueblo
of Los Angeles. Here in Southern California he made his home
for more than fifty years.

Mr. Mott was so thoroughly enthusiastic over the future
of his new home that he readily invested his capital in real estate
here. In after years he reaped a rich harvest on the faith of his
good judgment and foresight.

A natural gift of organization and an ambition to master
men and affairs led him into politics and for more than a quarter
of a century his reputation as a Democratic leader extended
throughout the state. He was an intimate personal friend and
associate of Leland Stanford, Collis P. Fluntington, Charles
Crocker and William F. Herrin.


In 1863 he was elected first the County Clerk of Los An-
geles County and was re-elected for three consecutive terms
thereafter. He discharged the manifold duties of his office
which at that time embraced the responsibilities of ex-officio
Recorder and Auditor with unfailing courtesy and fidelity.

When in 1871 the Southern Pacific Railroad Company first
expressed its readiness to build into Southern California pro-
vided proper inducements were offered, Mr. Mott was chosen
to represent his district in the Legislature. There he soon
became a commanding figure and won the regard of his con-
stituency by insuring the construction of the railroad over
Tehachepi and through the Soledad Canyon, a route which
though very expensive to the railroad company, secured an
immense advantage to Los Angeles and probably first brought
the southern city into public notice.

In his political undertakings as well as in private business,
Mr. Mott was associated with his brother, Stephen H. Mott, the
capitalist and former secretry of the Crystal Spring Water Com-
pany, and a director in the W. H. Perry Lumber Company. In
1876 he was sent as a delegate to the National Democratic Con-
vention in St. Louis, which nominated Samuel J. Tilden for the
Presidency. In 1896 when the Democratic party turned to
silver, Mr. Mott cast his lot with the Republicans.

Mr. Mott was closely identified with various civic move-
ments inaugurated to build up the resources of Southern Cali-
fornia. In 1886 with rare business foresight he erected Mott
Market on South Main Street, which was at that time one of the
most pretentious and ambitious undertaking in the city. He
was also identified with the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
and other kindred organizations.

Tall of figure and commanding in appearance, Mr. Mott
possessed a rare personal charm of manner which endeared him
to a host of friends and admirers.

Property interests left by him include the Mott Market, on
Main Street, considerable frontage on North Spring Street and
local bank stocks and other holdings, valued at over $200,000.

One brother, Stephen H. Mott, of this city, and one sister,
Mrs. Rebecca Lewis, of Schuylerville, N. Y., survive him. Other
surviving members of the family are his widow, who was for-
merly Ascencion Sepulveda, a sister of former Superior Judge
Sepulveda; one daughter, Mrs. Henry Vander Leek of Nogales,
Ariz., and four sons . The sons are Thomas D. Mott, Jr., a
prominent attorney of Porto Rico; Stephen D. Mott of Porto


Rico, Y. L.Mott of Nogales, Ariz., and John G. Mott of Los


In memory of our departed friend and fellow pioneer, Mr.
Kilian Messer, we offer the following sketch of his life and of
his residence in the city of Los Angeles, in which he lived for
50 years. He was born in Germany, August 25, 1824, where
he spent the early years of his life up to 1850, tiring of home
he set out to seek his fortune in a foreign county. He sailed for
the golden state of California via Cape Horn. In those days it
was not an easy journey. He was shipwrecked on the way, but
finally reached San Francisco, after being one year on the way.
From there he went to the mines, where, after spending a few
years, he tired of that kind life. He left for Los Angles in 1854,
and so became one of the early pioneers of our beloved city.
Here he engaged in diffrent pursuits of life in all of which he was
successful. He was married in October, 1862, to Miss Louise
Schmidt and raised two sons who are now engaged in business
here, and who enjoy the respect of their fellow citizens. He
died December 30, 1904.




Col. Dunkelberger, who was so widely and favorably known
in this community, was born in Northumberland County, Penn.,
in 1832. He died in Los Angeles, December 5, 1904. at the age
of 72 years.

Col. Dunkelberger, who had studied civil engineering and
read law in the office of Simon Cameron, was one of the first,
if not the first man to enlist in Pennsylvania in the civil war.
His regiment, the First Penn. Volunteers, was ordered to Balti-
more at the time of the attack on the Massachusetts troops, and
while there he received a commission as second lieutenant in the
First Dragoons, afterwards the First U. S. Cavalry, the same
regiment which distinguished itself in Cuba in the late war be-
tween the United States and Spain. Col. Dunkelberger in the


civil was was in thirty-six pitched battles, and in a number of
skirmishes. He was twice wounded вАФ once through the left
shoulder' and left lung, his wound at the time', being thought to
have been mortal. His sufferings from this terrible wound,
during the remainder of his life, nearly forty years, from ab-
scesses, which recurred at intervals till his death, were most ex-
cruciating. His left arm was practically useless.

After the close of the war he was ordered to New Orleans
with Gen. Sheridan, who there relieved Gen. Butler. From
thence he was ordered to San Francisco, and from there to Ari-
zona. In 1876 he resigned his commission in the army and
thereafter made his home in Los Angeles.

Col. Dunkelberger was appointed postmaster of Los An-
geles by President Grant, February 3, 1877; and re-appointed
by President Hayes in 1881.

In 1867, Col. Dunkelberger was married to Miss Mary
Mallard of this city, who, with six children, three sons and three
daughters, survive him.

In 1 901, President McKinley, after reviewing the war rec-
ord of Colonel Dunkelberger, and letters of Generals Grant,
Sheridan and Meade, appointed him captain of cavalry in the
regular army, and he was confirmed and retired the same day by
Congress without a dissenting vote.

There are many old-timers still living in Los Angeles who
have a warm place in their hearts for gallant, bluff Colonel
Dunkelberger. His name will ever remain gre'en in their






P. Ballade, a resident of Los Angeles for over thirty years,
was a native of France, born April 6, 1839. He came to Cali-
fornia in 1862. After a residence of three years in San Fran-
cisco, he went to Santa Clara County and was employed at the
New Almaden Quicksilver mines for several years. He next
went to Monterey and engaged in sheep raising until 1872,
when he came to Los Angeles and successfully followed the
same business near San Juan Capistrano.


Later he came to this city and engaged in mercantile busi-
ness. Mr. Ballade was married December g, 1869, to Miss
Marie Marilius, who was also a native of France. For two or
three years preceding his death, he suffered from the dropsy.
He died December i, at the age of 65 years. His wife and three
children, John, Mary and Antoinette, survive him.

Mr. Ballade was a somewhat reserved, quiet man, but he
was held in high estimation by his neighbors for his sterling






John Crimmins, who died in this city, November 24, 1904,
aged fifty-four years, was a native of Ireland, born in 1850,
November 10. He came to the United States with his paretits
when six years old, and lived with them in Boston till the fall
of 1868, when he came to Los Angeles, where eventually he
established himself in business as a master plumber, in which
business he continued with success till about two years before
his death. Mr. Crimimns maintained throughout his life a name
for probity and thoroughgoing honesty, and as a consequence
he was esteemed highly by his neighbors and by all who knew
him, including the members of this Pioneer Society, of which
he was an honored member.

Two sisters ofour deceased associate survive him, one a
resident of this city and the other residing in the east.



In MemorisLm

Dece&sed Members of the Pioneers of Los Angeles

James J. Ayres Died November 10, 1897.

Stephen C. Foster Died January 27, 1898.

Horace Hlller Died May 23, 1898.

John Strother Griffin Died August 23, 1898.

Henry Clay Wiiey Died October 25, 1898.

William Blackstone Abernethy Died November 1, 1898.

Stephen VJ. La Dow Died January 6, 1899.

Herman Raphael Died April 19, 1899.

Francis Baker Died May 17, 1899.

Leonard John Rose Died May 17, 1899.

E. N. McDonald Died June 10, 1899.

James Craig Died December 30, 1899.

Palmer Milton Scott Died January 3, 1900.

Francisco SablchI Died April 13, 1900.

Robert Miller Town Died April 24, 1900.

Fred W. Wood Died May 19, 1900.

Joseph Bayer Died July 27, 1900.

Augustus Ulyard Died August 5, 1900.

A. M. Hough Died August 28, 1900.

Henry F. Fleishman Died October 20, 1900.

Frank Lecouvreur Died January 17, 1901.

Daniel Shieck Died January 20, 1901.

Andrew Glassell Died January 28, 1901.

Thomas E. Rowan Died March 25, 1901.

Mary Ulyard Died April 5, 1901.

George Gephard Died April 12, 1901.

William Frederick Grosser Died April 13, 1901.

Samuel Calvert Foy Died April 24, 1901.

Joseph Stoitenberg Died June 25, 1901.

Charles Brode Died August 13, 1901.

Joseph W. Junklns Died August, 1901.

Laura Gibson Abernethy Died May 16, 1901.

Elizabeth Langley Ensign Died September 20, 1901,

Frank A. Gibson Died October 11, 1901.

Godfrey Hargitt Died November 14, 1901.

John C. Anderson Died January 25, 1902.

Elijah Moulton Died January 28, 1902.

John Charles Dotter Died March 3, 1902.

John Caleb Salisbury Died July 10, 1902.

H. K. W. Bent Died July 29, 1902.

Online LibraryHistorical Society of Southern CaliforniaAnnual publication of the Historical Society of Southern California and of the Pioneers of Los Angeles County (Volume yr.1902-1904) → online text (page 27 of 29)