vice-president: C. E. Woodbury, treasurer, and John Gretzer, secretary.
The business of this establishment embraces the manufacture of gaso-
line lamps and lighting appliances, gasoline engine and automobile repair-
ing, general machine work, steel frame pitless wagon and stock scales; also
make castings in gray iron, brass, copper, bronze and aluminum, and do
nickel and copper plating. Location, No. 43 to 47 North Main street, Coun-
Nearby in the same line of industry is the Incandescent Light Manu-
facturing establishment of James Darby, who. with six men, are endeavor-
ing to keep up with their orders.
The Johnson McLean Company is engaged in all kinds of mill work
required in the building trade, kiln drying, planing, sawing and working
mouldings, also manufacturer of doors and sash. This firm takes no build-
ing contracts, hut does mill work for such contractors as are without these
Is incorporated with a capital of $20,000. and employs from thirty to
HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 123
THE A. C. KELLER COLLAR COMPANY.
This is situated on the southeast corner of Thirty-second street and Avenue
A in Council Bluffs and makes a specialty of horse collars. The proprietors
came here and started their business in a modest way, and, by industry and
close attention to business, it has grown until they now employ from ten to
fifteen men, and have introduced machinery and enlarged their factory, be-
sides erecting a separate building for storing the raw material.
BOX AND BASKET FACTORY.
Another small industry, made necessary by the large amount of fruit
being raised in the surrounding country, is the Council Bluffs Box and Bas-
ket factory. This is situated on Twenty-first street, opposite Cochran's
park. The building is 110x60 feet, two stories. This is one article for
which we have the raw material in abundance, as the cottonwood along the
Missouri is the best wood of which to make the berry, grape and other fruit
boxes and baskets, and the work is adapted to men, women and boys.
The proprietors, J. M. and F. P. Liggett, last season made and sold to
the amount of $36,300.
The Cavers- VanDorn Elevator Company is situated at First avenue and
Thirtieth street, with capacity of 50.000 bushels, can handle 30,000 per day;
has trackage to all the roads.
The Peavy Elevator at U. P. transfer has capacity of 1,500,000 bushels,
can handle 150 cars per day; trackage to all roads.
The Trans-Mississippi at U. P. transfer has capacity of 500,000 bush-
els ; can handle one hundred cars per day.
The Droge Brothers' Elevator has capacity of 50,000 bushels; can empty
a car in fifteen minutes.
The Shugart and Owen Elevator Company was incorporated in 1905;
engaged in seed business. Elevator is situated on Sixth street and Tenth
avenue. Capacity 20,000 bushels.
Sales during 1906 amounted to $50,000.
A. Peterson's feed mill on Third street, 60x30 feet, two stories, driven by
gasoline engine, has capacity for 1,000 bushels in twenty-four hours. Capi-
tal of $10,000, and employs five men.
COUNCIL BLUFFS BEDDING COMPANY.
This is one of the infant industries recently established. It is incor-
porated with a capital of $5,000. At the present time the business is lim-
ited to the manufacture of mattresses, for which it is equipped with the
124 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY
most modern machinery. At this writing five persons axe employed. The
factory being No. 34 Fourth street.
0. B. Anderson, manager.
The Council Bluffs Granite & Marble Works, southwest corner of East
Broadway and Grace streets.
Sheeley & Lane, proprietors, successors to H. J. Gibson in fall of 1892.
Have capital invested to amount of $10,000. Employ five men in works
beside one salesman on the road.
Among the manufacturers in a -mall way arc those of A. Rasmusson's
wagon- and carriage manufactory mi Upper Broadway, employing six men,
and also that of Schultz & Hill on the southeast corner of Fourth street and
Fifth avenue. These men employ six men, besides being practical workers
THE WATERLOO CREAMERY COMPANY.
This institution was incorporated in 1900 and reincorporated in 1904
with a capital of $12,000. President, Leroy Corless; secretary, Corless Hop-
per; treasurer, Bert Corle - .
The business being the manufacture of butter and ice cream. It also is
wholesale and retail dealers in milk and cream.
The plant consists of a three-story brick with all necessary appliances
for conducting its business at 21 South Eighth street, and business l- rapidly
Kindred establishments are those of I. Mucci at 218 West Broadway,
manufacturer of ice cream, also keeps constantly on hand fresh milk and
cream in quantity to suit purchasers.
Also that of O. O. Brown at 546 West Broadway, confectioner and man-
ufacturer of ice cream.
COUNCIL BLUFFS CARPET CLEANING COMPANY.
This institution is located at 28-30-32-34 North Main street; was started
in 1902 in the old Bluff City Laundry building; engaged in the business
of cleaning carpets by power machinery.
In 1903 looms were added for the purpose of weaving fluff rugs from
old worn-out carpets. It became incorporated in September, 1903, with C.
A. Beno. president; T. A. Bush, secretary and manager; Adolph Beno, treas-
urer; J. D. Evans, L. R. Hypes and W. F. Hypes, director-.
In 1908 the business was extended to include general cleaning ami
dyeing of garments, household goods, lace curtains, draperies, etc.
The growth of the business requiring more space a modern two-story
brick building has been erected adjoining the original plant, and both build-
The business requires from eighteen to twenty hands.
HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY
INDEPENDENT TELEPHONE COMPANY OF COUNCIL BLUFFS.
The above company was incorporated in 1905 with F. J. Day as presi-
dent; vice-president, E. H. Merriam; secretary, C. A. Beno; treasurer, T. G.
Work was commenced immediately. The present site was purchased
and Exchange building commenced and rushed rapidly to completion.
While lines were being extended most approved apparatus installed so that
the company was ready for business and opened on June 1, 1906. Since
which time the business has rapidly grown until on October 1, 1907, their
subscribers numbered 3,200.
Besides the industries named, we submit the following as directory
showing the principal lines of business conducted at this writing in the city
of Council Bluffs:
Abstract Offices 3
Awnings and Tents 1
Automobile Repairing 2
Book Stores 2
Brick Yards 3
Building Contractors 12
Clothing Stores 5
Coal and Wood Yards 16
Dry Goods Stores 4
Department Stores 3
Drug Stores 20
Dye Works 3
Electric Supplies 2
Engineers (civil) 4
Furniture Stores 5
Feed Stores 10
Galvanized Iron 2
Groceries (wholesale) 1
Groceries (retail) 62
Hardware (wholesale) 1
Hardware (retail) 6
Implement Houses 16
Jewelry Stores 4
Lawyers вАҐ 40
Liquor Stores (wholesale) 5
Lumber Yards 4
Livery Stables 10
Mr.it Markets (exclusively) 13
Music Stores 4
Millinery and Dressmaking 4
Novelty Stores 2
Oil (kerosene) 1
Physicians and Surgeons 32
Photograph Galleries 5
Plumbing Establishments 5
Printing Offices 5
Paint and Papering 5
Real Estate and Insurance 31
Shoe Stores 6
Seed Stores 3
Sewing Machine Stores 3
Tailoring Establishments 6
Tea and Coffee Stores . ." 3
Transfer Companies 7
Veterinary Surgeons 4
Wind Mill Establishment 1
During October one of our citizens of the Hebrew persuasion passed away
in the person of Mr. G. H. Mosler. He was an active member with Simon Eis-
126 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY
man, Benjamin Newman and others of the first Hebrew society of Council
Our community was surprised on the 29th of October by the determination
of our bankers to partially suspend, but allowing depositors to draw small
amounts from time to time. This was brought about by the action of the New
York bankers closing as a protection against runs and as New York went it
seemed necessary for all others to follow, and so far our citizens acquiesce in the
Having given the early history of the early settlement, and the agricul-
tural, manufacturing and commercial affairs, we will proceed to notice the
religious, fraternal, sanitary, patriotic and benevolent institutions, commencing
with the churches.
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.
The Catholic missionaries seem to have been the first of the religious sects
to penetrate the wilderness of which this county once formed a part. The first
to identify himself with the Pottawattamies seems to have been Father J. Smet,
and we take the liberty of taking a few extracts from his writings after his
"Council Bluffs, September, 1838.
"For the last four months the result of our exertions has been truly
encouraging. A considerable number of savages manifest a desire to be
"We have opened a school, but on account of the limited size of our hut.
we can receive only thirty children. The church in which divine service was
celebrated, is perhaps the pooresl in the world.
"We have already admitted one hundred and eighteen, of which number
I had the consolation to baptize one hundred and five," and again, "I
afterwards gave an instruction on the necessity and the ceremonies of baptism,
and conferred that sacrament on twenty adults, among whom was the wife of
the chief. * * * After mass I biassed four marriages." The letter from
which these few lines were extracted was addressed to Right Rev. Mathia-
Loras, Bishop of Dubuque.
Later Rev. A. Ravoux write.- from Council Bluffs under date of August 29,
L847: "We spent three or four hours near the great camp of the Mormons,
which is situated in one of the mosl beautiful regions of the Missouri. Dur-
ing the spring they cultivated a large tract of land and expect an abundant
harvest. They possess a considerable stuck of animals, and they number from
eight to ten thousand souls in the camp or within a circle of ten mil
"The same day aboul sundown we reached Council Bluffs, where we pasa d
the night. I baptized two children and gave instruction at the house of Mr.
Benoit. There are at least forty Catholic families in Council Bluffs." Much
more might be quoted but this is sufficient to -how that even after the Indian-
had left, and the Mormons were in full control, a root of the church planted
ten years before remained and continued to grow.
During two or three years from the departure of the Pottawattamies. the
advent and exodus of the Mormons and tide of California emigration, things
HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 127
here were in a state of transition and no church seemed to be firmly estab-
lished, and although three of four priests had been assigned to this place, Rev.
Jeremiah Tracy was the first to erect a church since the old Indian mission.
It was he that commenced the brick church that stood on a part of the ground
now occupied by the Merriam block and was used until the completion of the
St. Francis Xavier church on the corner of Fifth avenue and Sixth streets.
Rev. William Kelly was pastor here from April to September, 1863, and
Rev. James Power from June, 1864 to June, 1865. He completed the church
and was called to duties in the St. Joseph diocese.
Rev. John Dachsacher resided here from June, 1865 to October, 1869.
He built a plain residence, introduced a bell, probably the first church bell in
the city, was constant and faithful in all his duties. During ten months in
1869 he had eighty-two baptisms. He also attended St. Boniface church in
the Plumer settlement and in other places and was recalled to his diocese in
The next to fill this important position was Rev. B. P. McMenorny. His
fame had preceded him and he was received with warm enthusiasm, which
ripened into lasting respect. Immediate steps were taken to make hi- abode
comfortable, the church w T as enlarged and embellished, and a parochial school
established on the northwest corner of the church grounds.
In 1871 the Sisters of Charity of B. Y. M. were introduced from Dubuque
and in 1873 commenced the St. Francis Xavier academy on its present site,
which from the beginning has made wonderful progress, and now ranks among
the best schools for the higher education of young ladies.
The rapid increase of the congregation made it advisable to sell the old
church property, from which was realized $25,000, and with this and other
contributions he proceeded to build the fine structure that now adorns the
northwest corner of Fifth avenue and Sixth street. This building was com-
pleted in 1888 at a cost of $50,000 and one year later a fine parochial resi-
dence was erected adjoining on the west at a cost of $9,000, while three years
previous St. Joseph's school for boys was built on the opposite corner east, at a
cost of $6,000. Father McMenorny was one of the most highly respected of
any of the clergy that have lived here, not only by those of his faith, but by
all. With the expiring year of 1892 he was laid to rest on Walnut Hill, Decem-
ber 31, 1892.
Succeeding Father McMenorny came the present pastor, Very Rev. Pat-
rick Smyth. He, like his predecessor, was born in Ireland, received his edu-
cation in All Hallows College, Dublin, was ordained on June 24, 1871, for the
diocese of Dubuque, Iowa, and shortly after set sail for America and arrived
in New York on the 14th of August, 1871.
It was here in his new land on the day following, in the church of the
Holy Innocents, he celebrated his first holy mass. He then proceeded to Du-
buque and was appointed assistant to Rev. R. A. Byrne at Holy Cross. Since
coming among us he has endeared himself to his congregation as well as won
the respect of the entire community and all the institutions connected with
the church feel the influence of his helping hand.
A meeting of the German Catholics of Council Bluffs w T as called and
128 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY
assembled on May 9, 1886, attended by the following men : Peter Weis, John
Murgen, Rudolph Toller, Henry Toller, Peter Tholl, Jacob Neumayer, Peter
Beck, Joseph Miller, Jacob Apple, Joseph Schmidt, Dr. G. W. Emonds, Her-
man Roblings, P. J. Emig and Albert Schott. Peter Weis was called to the
chair and P. J. Emig appointed secretary, and it was resolved to organize a
congregation for the German Catholics and build a church.
The second meeting assembled on May 30, 1886, and Peter Weis as chair-
man, called the meeting to order, when a committee was chosen as trustees, con-
sisting of Peter Weis, chairman; John Mergen, treasurer; P. J. Emig, sec-
retary; Rudolph Toller; Jacob Neumayer and Joseph .Miller, and the com-
mittee was instructed to seek a suitable building site and report at the next
meeting, and also solicit subscriptions for money. The name of St. Peters
Association was selected.
On April 24, 1887, during high mass in St. Francis church, celebrated
by Rev. Adolph Wesseling, 0. S. B. of Atchison. Kansas, Right Rev. Bishop
Cosgrove of Davenport, Iowa, published the separation of the German Catholics
from affiliation with St. Francis Xavier's congregation, and announced the
selection of Father Adolph as pastor for the new Catholic church for the
Germans. The committee reported in favor of the site now occupied, which
was approved. The bishop gave his approval, arrangements were made with
Father McMenomy to use the old church during the construction of the new.
The construction of the building was commenced and prosecuted with
vigor. The present pretty church with its tapering spire, and flanked by the
parochial buildings makes a pretty picture and speaks well for the taste, piety
and enterprise of the members, while its chime of hells emits tones for which
these bluffs and ravines have listened for a thousand years.
The attendance at St. Francis academy continued to increase and in
1904 a four story addition was made, in which is a large auditorium. An
average of three hundred pupils receive instruction here, many coming from
a distance and boarding at the institution.
The attendance of boys at St. Joseph's is not so large, averaging seventy-
In connection with St. Peter's church are parochial schools for both girls
and hoys, with an average attendance of seventy-five, in which the sexes are
about equally divided.
THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
It is seldom we are able to get historical tacts at first hand after a lapse
of fifty-six years, as in this case, whore we arc permitted to interview the ven-
erable founder of the Congregational church here, and learn from him person-
ally of its first establishment. In 1851 the Rev. G. G. Rice, under commission
of the Home Missionary Society came here, and in conjunction with Rev.
Win. Simpson, Methodist, rented a room of Isaac Beebe, which they furnished
cheaply and proceeded to hold meetings and also a Sunday school. Rev. Simp-
son was of the Methodist persuasion, and they alternated in their use of the
room, and got along amicably.
HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 129
In the spring of 1852 they bought a hewed log house for one hundred and
twenty-five dollars of a man that was starting for Oregon, and raised the money
by subscription to pay for it, and this became the first Protestant church in
this county. In 1852 Rev. Simpson was given a charge in the eastern part
of the state, and Rev. Moses Shinn was sent to fill his place. In the spring of
1853 the first Congregational church was organized, and the two congrega-
tions separated, the Methodists built their little frame church on Pierce street,
and the Congregationalists purchased a small frame warehouse and fitted it up
on Broadway a little west of Glenn avenue, where it was used until a small
brick church was built on Pearl street, where the Brown block now stands,
which was completed and dedicated in 1856.
In the organization of the church in 1853 it consisted of the eight follow-
ing charter members: Rev. G. G. Rice, Martha C. Rice, J. D. M. Crockwell,
James Harrison, Mary L. Harrison, Louisa Turley, Rachel Nichols and
Dorcas A. Crockwell.
Of this number, all but the pastor and his wife were born in the west and
came from three different denominations. While in their little rude cabin,
Father Rice baptized the first infants in the Protestant faith in this commun-
ity. Here also the Council Bluffs association of Congregational churches was
organized and here for the first time the Congregationalists of the south-
western part of the state of Iowa gathered in fellowship. This association
has since grown to be one of the strongest in the state with such churches as
Creston, Red Oak, Shenandoah, Atlantic, Tabor and Glenwood in its fellow-
The congregation continued to worship in the brick on Pearl street until
the completion of the one on Sixth street and Seventh avenue. During the
construction, after being enclosed, it was demolished by a tornado, thus
delaying its completion until 1870. Up to 1869 the church had been
assisted by annual contributions from the American Home Missionary Society,
in which year the church became self supporting. During the fifty years of
its existence, the church has been served by the following pastors : Rev. G. G.
Rice, from '51 to '58 ; James S. Haskell, 1859 till September. This man was
a wag. Could preach a good sermon, make a beautiful prayer, play a strong
game of poker, was a fine sleight of hand performer and ventriloquist and
could not resist the temptation to occasionally astonish the natives with his
tricks, and finally landed in a circus, where he rightfully belonged. Harvey
Adams, '60 to '63; W. W. Allen, '63 to '65; J, B. Chase, '65 to '68; H. P.
Roberts; '68 to 71; H. S: DeForrest, '71 to '76; Cyrus Hamlin, '77 to '84;
G. W. Crofts, '85 to '92 ; John Askin, '93 to '97 ; W. W. Wilson, '97 to 1901 ;
James Thompson, '02 to '05; O. O. Smith, D. D., to present time of '07.
The most marked periods of growth were during the pastorates of Revs.
Adams, Chase, DeForrest and Crofts.
Dr. O. 0. Smith, the present pastor, has served with great acceptability
since May 1, 1905. The present membership is three hundred and eighteen,
with a flourishing Sunday school.
Grown out of this church is the Woodbury Avenue Mission People's
Church, Rev. Burkhart, pastor.
130 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY
There is a growing sentiment among the membership in favor of a new
church building more centrally located.
The Rev. Mr. Rice, in addition to his church work has always taken a lively
interest in public affairs. He was a member of the first city council in 1853,
and is still with us, wearing lightly his eighty-eight years, and now is largely
engaged in fruit raising.
THE REORGANIZED CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST LATTER DAY
This small church is one of a vast body that seceded years ago from
the Mormon church, and have built up churches all through western Iowa,
and are in no way affiliated with the dominant church, the head of which is
at Salt Lake City.
This has a membership at this time (1907) of two hundred and ninety-
seven, with a Sunday school and also a literary society connected with it.
One peculiarity of this little church is that it is self sustaining, never
asking assistance from outside, nor resorting to the schemes practiced by other
denominations for raising money.
Notwithstanding this it is slowly but steadily growing. The present pas-
tor is the Rev. Samuel Harding.
FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF COUNCIL BLUFFS.
This, like most churches here, began with a mission.
It was first organized in 1891, by Rev. Monroe, with a membership of
seventy. The first meeting place was in an old vacant store building on
the corner of Broadw.iy and Twenty-third streets, where services were held
for three years, then moved to Broadway and Seventeenth streets. Dr. Carter
preached one year, from '92 to '93, was followed by Rev. E. \V. Allen till "95
when the tabernacle was built. Rev. H. \V. Abberly preached until '96 and
was succeeded by Rev. S. M. Perkins, from '96 to '99, then Rev. W. B. Crewel-
son until 1903, when W. B. Clemer took charge and continued until 1907.
The church has made very rapid growth, having m this writing a member-
ship of six hundred, about five hundred within the city and about one hun-
dred in the country immediately adjoining, also a prosperous Sunday school of
over two hundred and a well trained choir. The pulpit is vacant but a supply
has been secured and will arrive and take charge in the near future.
THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
In the settlement of a new country it is but natural for persons of the
same religious faith to mingle and organize for mutual benefit, both religiously
and socially. The first settlement of this county and city differed from thai
of most new communities in being all of one church, a body just as distinct
from other organizations as were the Jews on leaving Egypt. And although
persons of other religious views were tolerated, so overwhelmingly Mormon
was the entire community, thai there was little use for Gentiles (as all others
HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 131
were termed) to attempt to organize churches until the great body with its
leaders had moved on. Neither was it a good field for missionary work, as
they had our Bible, and no people on earth were more familiar with its
contents and teachings than they, so that if you attempted to teach them,
they would turn the tables and teach you, and further, they had the advantage
of receiving revelations from time to time, an advantage not claimed by other
It was not until 1856 that it seemed worth while to attempt the organi-
zation of a church, which was accomplished by Rev. John Hancock and thirteen
others. The salary of the pastor for the first year was raised by subscription,
many of the largest contributors to which were not even professors of religion
let alone members. On the 12th of October, L856, the church was organized
and a room in the second story of the Empire block was secured and cheaply
furnished, which served until 1861. This was over what is now Camp's drug
store, and the alley in the rear of the block got the name of Presbyterian alley.
The church prospered and by 1861 it was able to build a small Fra
about twenty-five by forty feet on Pearl street, where the waterworks office
In 1857 a lot had been secured where the present church new -land- and