Copyright
Homer Howard Field.

History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from the earliest historic times to 1907 (Volume 1) online

. (page 32 of 59)
Online LibraryHomer Howard FieldHistory of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from the earliest historic times to 1907 (Volume 1) → online text (page 32 of 59)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


him and by his untiring industry, close application and sound judgment he
was soon able to leave the ranks of the many and stand among the successful
few. His friends and business associates held him in the highest regard and
to his family he was a loving husband and father. His widow, who resides
at 703 South Sixth street, is a mosl estimable lady and an earnest member of
the Methodist Episcopal church.



OLIVER P. SHERRADEN.

A man ever watchful of all indications pointing to success, his life guided
by laudable ambition and strong purpose. Oliver P. Sherraden became well
known in Council Bluffs as one whose enterprise and labor contributed to the
public weal as well as to individual prosperity. Through much of his life lie
was engaged in the real-estate business here, continuing in that line up to the
time of his death. His residence in the city dated from April, 1860. He was
a native of Ohio, born November 14. 1814. and his father was a native of Vir-
ginia, whence he removed to the Buckeye state. There he engaged in farm-
ing throughout the remainder of his life and hi* wife also passed away th<




MRS. LYD1A M



\




HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 295

In the public schools of his native county Oliver P. Sherraden acquired
a good education and became a fine penman. In his youth he assisted his
father on the old homestead farm in Ohio and when he became a young man
he started to the west, settling first at Canton, Fulton county, Illinois, where
for a few years he engaged in clerking in a store. While in Canton he was
married to Miss Lydia M. Johnson, a native of Vermont, born October 25,
1821, a daughter of Ira and Mary (Perry) Johnson, the former born in New
Hampshire and the latter in the Green Mountain state. Mr. Johnson was
reared to farm life in Vermont and when a young man removed westward.
settling first near Buffalo, at Holland, Erie county, New York. There he pur-
chased a tract of land and engaged in general farming until 1838, when he
disposed of that property and started westward in a covered wagon to Canton,
Fulton county, Illinois. There he again purchased a farm near the village
and carried on general agricultural pursuits until his latter days, when he took
up his abode in the village of Canton, where he lived retired until called to
his final rest. He was a well informed man and reached the very venerable
age of eighty-eight years, while his wife died at the age of eighty-six years.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Sherraden were born six children: Charles Henry, who
was born August 26, 1845, is now a retired photographer residing in Salt Lake
City, Utah. Emma Marie, born December 30, 1847, was the wife of Forrest
Eaton and died in September, 1905. Helen Eveline is the widow of James P.
Goulden, and she and her two children reside with her mother. She has two
sons: James G., who is now employed in the office of the Cudahy Packing
Company, at Sioux City ; and Robert, who is a graduate of the college at Ames,
Iowa, now in the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad. Dr. William H.
Sherraden, the fourth member of the family, was born April 15, 1861, has
graduated both in medicine and dentistry and is now engaged in the practice
of the dental profession in Omaha. The other two children of the family,
Mary Ellen and Ira Everett, died in childhood.

After his marriage Mr. Sherraden continued to reside in Canton, Illinois,
for a short time and then removed to Princeton, that state, where he began
business on his own account, purchasing a stock of goods and engaging in the
conduct of a general mercantile store here. On leaving that place he went to
Richland, Iowa, where he served as a member of the legislature. In the spring
of 1860 he sold out and removed to Council Bluffs. Prior to this time, how-
ever, through the agency of relatives he had become the owner of five acres
of land here, which at that time was situated on the outskirts of the city but
is now in one of its populous and pleasing residence districts. On his arrival
here Mr. Sherraden planted his five acres to fruit and soon afterward built tbe
home which his widow still occupies. For several years his time and energies
were given to his fruit-raising interests and he also kept a large number of
fine cows, engaging in the dairy business. His time and energies were thus
occupied for several years, when he decided to retire from active business life
and look after his property investments, which he then had in the city. He
afterward bought and sold lands and built houses and at one time he owned
the entire block between Third and Fourth avenues and Ninth and Tenth
streets. He continued to operate in real estate throughout his remaining days



296 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

and handled considerable valuable property, making his investments care-
fully and judiciously, so that his sales brought him a good financial return.

In his social relations Mr. Sherraden was an Odd Fellow and in his politi-
cal views was a republican. He died here November 14, 1881, after a residence
of about twenty-one years in the city, during which time he had become closely
associated with the welfare and progress of the city and its environments. He
left behind him an honorable name and a memory which is cherished by
many friends.

Mrs. Sherraden is a member of the Congregational church at Council
Bluffs. She owns the old home at No. 917 Third avenue, where she resides
with her daughter Mrs. Goulden and her children. She also owns three other
residence properties in the same block, at the corner of Ninth street and Third
avenue, where the family once grew sweet potatoes. That was in the early
days when the property was -situated in the outskirts of the city but the growth
and development of Council Bluffs have so extended the corporation bound-
aries that this is now in a fine residence district, and the property has greatly
increased in value, bringing to Mrs. Sherraden a good income.



JAMES E. H. WINELAND.

James E. H. "Wineland, a representative agriculturist and stock-raiser of
Knox township, Pottawattamie county, was born in Brooklyn, Poweshiek
county, Iowa, September 25, 1855. His parents were Jacob and Mary Ann
(Haines) Wineland, the former born in Maryland November 29, 1827, and
the latter in Hancock county, Ohio, in 1831. They were married November
11, 1852, and after living in Hancock county, Ohio, for a year, they journeyed
westward with an ox team, locating first in Poweshiek county, Iowa. On the
expiration of a year Jacob Wineland came to Pottawattamie county, pur-
chasing a tract of land of one hundred and sixty acres, of which a part was
timber and for which he paid five hundred dollars in gold. He immediately
began making improvements on his land by the erection of a log house,
fourteen by sixteen feet, with clapboard roof and one window a foot square.
The family lived in this pioneer cabin for a year, without cither a floor or
a door, the canvass cover of their wagon being used as a door when the cold
weather came. Mr. Wineland also built a log stable for his oxen, which is
still standing, as is also a part of the old log cabin, these primitive structures
being mute reminders of pioneer days, when the country was largely unsettled
and the work of civilization lay for the most part in the future. The father
had to haul his grain to Council Bluffs, the trip requiring three days. He
killed and dressed his hogs and after hauling them to market, received one
and a quarter cents per pound for them. He is a republican in his political
views, and is still living on the old home farm, being now in his eighty-first
year. He is respected and esteemed throughout the county as one of its hon-
ored pioneers, for he located here when the work of development had scarcely
been begun and aided in the arduous labor necessary for the cultivation of



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 297

wild land. He experienced all the hardships and privations of frontier life
and has seen the work of civilization carried ever onward until the country
has reached its present high state of progress and development. He was called
upon to mourn the death of his wife in 1900. She had ever been a faithful
companion and helpmate to him and her demise was deeply deplored through-
out the entire community.

In the family of this worthy couple were eight children, six of whom
yet survive: Bert W., living in Wayne county, Nebraska; James E. H, of
this review ; Samantha, the wife of Richard Hines, residing on the home farm
in Knox township; Lucretia, the wife of W. H. Pingree, of Coon Rapids,
Iowa; Rhoda J., the wife of Henry Evans and a resident of Bloomfield,
Nebraska ; Mary C, who became the wife of William Rott and now makes her
home in South Dakota; Lorenzo, who died on the home farm in 1901; and
Viola, who passed away February 22, 1876, at the age of eight years.

James E. H. AVineland acquired his education in the old log school-
house which his father helped to build when he first came to this county. The
methods of instruction were crude, but our subject made the most of his
opportunities and gained a good practical education, to which he has added
in later years by reading and observation. He remained under the parental
roof until he had attained his majority, when he removed to Oakland, Iowa,
where he owned and operated a general store for two years. On the expira-
tion of that period he sold out his mercantile enterprise and returned home,
remaining with his father until the time of his marriage, when he established
a home of his own. He now owns and operates two hundred acres of land on
section 36, Knox township, it being one of the best improved farms in the
township. In addition to his agricultural interests he also makes a specialty
of raising full blooded shorthorn cattle, as well as Shropshire and Oxford
Down sheep. He has a fine herd of twenty full blooded shorthorn cows and
is meeting with marked success in his stock-raising and farming interests, being
recognized as one of the enterprising and representative agriculturists of the
county. He has about three hundred head of thorough bred stock on his
farm.

On the 14th of March, 1883, Mr. Wineland was united in marriage to
Miss Ida A. Judd, who was born in New York, July 24, 1859, a daughter of
J. B. and Agnes N. (Miner) Judd, both of whom are natives of St. Lawrence
county, New York, the former born September 4, 1831, and the latter July 2,
1834. They were married in Massena, New York, June 26, 1855. In their
family were two children: Charles S., living at Moorhead, Iowa; and Mrs.
Wineland. Mr. and Mrs. Judd came west in 1861, locating in- Randolph
county, Wisconsin, where they remained for a year, after which they removed
to Wilton, Wauseca county, Minnesota. The father enlisted for service in
the Civil war, joining the army in Minnesota, as a member of Company A,
First Minnesota Heavy Artillery, and served his country faithfully and well
until hostilities had ceased. At the close of the war he returned to Minne-
sota and followed farming until 1867, when he removed to O'Brien county,
Iowa. Both he and his wife are still living and now make their home with
their children in Iowa. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Wineland two children have been



298 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

born: Charles Glenn, born April 23, 1887; and Rose Agnes, born July 25,
1889, both of whom are still at home.

In his political affiliation Mr. Wineland is a stalwart republican and has
served as school director for twelve years, the cause of education ever rinding
in him a firm and helpful friend. Fraternally he is connected with the Odd
Fellows lodge, No. 220, at Avoca, Iowa, while both he and his wife are members
of the Rebekah lodge. , They are widely and favorably known throughout
the entire community and have won the respect and esteem of all with whom
they have come in contact, by reason of their genuine personal worth and
sterling traits of character. For a quarter of a century Mr. Wineland has
carried on agricultural pursuits in this county and as a representative of an
honored pioneer family he certainly deserves mention in this volume.



ARTHUR SARGENT HAZELTON.

Whatever else may be said of the legal fraternity, it cannot be denied that
numbers of the bar have been more prominent actors in public affairs than
any other class of citizens. This is but the natural result of causes which are
manifest and require no explanation. The ability and (raining which qualify
one to practice law also qualify him in many respects for duties which lie
outside the strict path of his profession and which touch the general interests
of society. Holding a prominent position among the members of the bar
of Council Bluffs is Arthur 8. Hazelton, who is now so acceptably filling the
position of postmaster.

He was born in Plymouth, New Hampshire, on the 7th of November,
1855. and is the youngest in a family of four children, the others being Martha
F., still a resident of Plymouth; Charles W., a civil engineer residing at
Turners Falls, Massachusetts : and Henry W.. who is connected with the Council
Bluffs Savings Bank. The family is of English descent. The father, Charles
Hazelton, was a native of Plymouth, New Hampshire, and died there, April 1,
1881, at the age of sixty-seven years. The mother, Sarah 1>. (Sargent) Hazel-
ton, was born in Hopkinton, New Hampshire, and is also deceased.

During his boyhood Arthur S. Hazelton was a student at Kimball Union
A.ademy, Meriden, New Hampshire, and in 1877 entered Dartmouth College,
from which he was graduated in 1881. Deciding to make the practice of law
his life work, he became a student in the office of Blair, Burling & Adams,
the first mentioned being Hon. Henry W. Blair, United States senator from
New Hampshire. Later he continued his studies in the law department of
Boston University and at the Columbia Daw School in New 7 York city. He
paid his own way through college and while pursuing his law course in New
York taught school in the mornings in order to meet his expenses and
attended lectures in the afternoons.

Believing that he would find better opportunities for advancement in the
west, Mr. Hazelton came to Council Bluffs on the 5th of September. 1884, and
for one year was employed as principal of the high school of this city. As he



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 299

was obliged to read law for one year in Iowa before he could engage in prac-
tice, he entered the office of Jacob Sims, and on the 6th of April, 1886, was ad-
mitted to the bar, thoroughly equipped for his chosen profession. On the 1st
of the following month he became a member of the firm of Mayne & Hazelton
and has since successfully engaged in practice.

On the 16th of May, 1888, Mr. Hazelton was united in marriage to Miss
Emma Higham, of Keokuk, Iowa, and they have two sons, Charles S. and Paul
H. Fraternally Mr. Hazelton affiliates with the Masons, Bluff City lodge, and
politically is identified with the republican party, being a recognized leader in
the ranks of that organization. He is always a delegate to the state republican
conventions and for seven years was chairman of the Pottawattamie coifnty re-
publican central committee, his voice bearing weight in the councils of his
party. His ability as a lawyer being widely recognized, he was called upon to
serve as city solicitor of Council Bluffs from 1892 until 1898, and next served
as state senator for four years, resigning the latter position in 1902 in order to
accept the appointment of postmaster in June of that year. The appointment
came from President McKinley, and so creditably and satisfactorily did he fill
the office that he was re-appointed by President Roosevelt in June, 1908, being
the present incumbent. He has made a most popular official and he has most
ably discharged the duties of all the positions he has been called upon to fill.
From the time he made his own way through college he has been dependent
upon his own resources and the success that has come to him in life is certainly
well merited.



HENRY H. SPALTI.



The life record of Henry H. Spalti is such as any man might be proud to
possess, for he has worked diligently and persistently for advancement and
at the same time has followed a course which throws no shadow of wrong or
suspicion of evil upon his life. On the contrary he is known for his business
integrity and commands the respect of all of his associates in the commercial
world.

He was born in Marion county, Iowa, in 1859, and comes of Swiss ancestry,
his parents being Henry and Sarah A. (Roth) Spalti, the former a native of
Switzerland and the latter of Indiana. The father came to the United States
in 1845, settling at Ottumwa, Iowa, where he worked by the month, and dur-
ing the first winter he and his brother, Joachim, lived in a hole dug in the
ground with straw for a bed and parched corn for food. They were regarded
by people passing by their dug-out as "two Dutch boys starving to death."
Their condition could not be explained, as they spoke no English. Their first
wages were four dollars a month, receiving half pay in farm products. Henry
Spalti continued to work as a farm hand until 1849, when attracted by the
discovery of gold on the Pacific coast he went to California, where he worked
in the mines, making about sixteen thousand dollars in two years. With this
capital he returned to Ottumwa and he and his brother embarked in mer-



300 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

chandising at that place. Later they removed to Pleasantville, where they so
successfully and capably conducted their business interests that when they re-
tired they were worth about a half million dollars. They are now both living
at Pleasantville, Iowa, their time being given to the supervision of their prop-
erty interests and to the enjoyment of a well earned rest. In 1902, Mr. Spalti
divided a large part of his property among his children, thus preventing them
from having the same experiences and hardships which came to him in his
early business life in America. His business record seems almost phenomenal
when we think of his early condition here and know that today, while not a
millionaire, he is nevertheless in possession of a handsome competence, which
renders him free from all want and business care. He belongs to the Methodist
Episcopal church and is a republican in his political views. He has ever been
very methodical in his habits, extremely systematic in all that he has done,
thoroughly honest in his dealings and upright in his character, and so justly
and honorably has his success been gained that it cannot be grudged by the
most envious.

Henry Spalti was married in early manhood to Miss Sarah A. Roth, who
was of Scotch-Irish ancestry. She has long since passed away, her death hav-
ing occurred in the fall of 1881 when she was forty-one years of age. In their
family were five children : Joshua H. ; Henry H. ; Lydia E., the wife of Jacob
Kline, a resident of Pleasantville, Iowa; Fridoline H., who is engaged in mer-
chandising in Pleasantville; and John H,, who is in partnership with his
brother Henry.

Upon the home farm Henry H. Spalti of this review was reared and in his
boyhood he mastered the common branches of learning taught in the public
schools. In early life he entered his father's store and learned the business
and in 1883 embarked in business on his own account at Bevington, Iowa,
forming a partnership with his brothers, Joshua and John, under the firm name
of Spalti Brothers. There tiny continued for four and a half yours and in
1887 came to Oakland, where they established a large store. In 1893 the Spalti
Brothers Bank was opened, Henry II. Spalti continuing a partner in both con-
cerns until 1894, when Joshua Spalti withdrew from the firm and took the mer-
cantile interests and some real estate as his share of the business of Spalti
Brothers. He yet continues the conduct of the store under the name of Joshua
H. Spalti & Sons, while Henry H. and John H. Spalti continue the original
partnership as Spalti Brothers, having retained as their interest in the original
firm the banking business and the residue of the real estate. In 1905 they built
a large store building and again engaged in merchandising, continuing under
the old style of Spalti Brothers, merchants, and Spalti Brothers, bankers. They
were thus engaged until the spring of 1907, when the banking concern was
incorporated into a savings bank, under the style of the Oakland Savings Bank,
with the following officers : W. L. Overman, president ; Henry H. Spalti, vice-
president; W. J. Donlin, cashier: and M. II. Evans, assistant cashier. The di-
rectors are E. S. Harlan, II. H. Spalti, John H. Spalti, A. B. Johns, Alfred A.
Lenocker, L. S. White and W. L. Overman. The hank is capitalized for twen-
ty-five thousand dollars, has deposits of one hundred and four thousand dollars
and is doing a general banking business with a large patronage. Henry H.



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 301

Spalti and his brother John also have large real-estate holdings in Pottawatta-
mie and Marion counties, owning altogether fifteen hundred acres in farm,
lands besides other property.

In 1894 was celebrated the marriage of Henry H. Spalti and Mrs. Carrie
Scroggins, a daughter of James N. Carter, a farmer. She is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Spalti belongs to the Masonic fraternity
and the Odd Fellows lodge. He gives his political allegiance to the republican
party and has been a member of the town council. His interest in public af-
fairs has been manifest in the active and substantial aid which he has given
to many movements for the public good. His worth as a citizen, aside from his
business affairs, is widely acknowledged, while his efforts along commercial and
financial lines have made him a valued resident of Oakland, contributing
largely to its prosperity and growth. He has made excellent use of his talents
and his opportunities, carefully considers every business proposition and uses
the means at hand to the best advantage, producing results which are gratify-
ing from a financial standpoint. His business methods, too, have never been
such as seek or require disguise but on the contrary may well serve as an ex-
ample to be followed by others who wish to advance along honorable lines from
a humble position to one of affluence.



WALTER F. STEPHAN.

Walter F. Stephan, engaged in business in Council Bluffs as a member of
the firm of Stephan Brothers, plumbers, was born in this city on the 20th of
April, 1865. Having spent much of his life here, his history is largely as an
open book and each definitely defined chapter in the record is one which will
bear close investigation and scrutiny. He comes of German parentage, his
father, Charles H. Stephan, being a native of Germany. He arrived in America
in 1818 and lived for some time in Buffalo, New York. He then came to
Council Bluffs, but afterward left Iowa and returned eastward to New York,
where his death occurred. His wife bore the maiden name of Henrietta Fischer
and is still a resident of Council Bluffs. In their family were seven children,
four sons and three daughters, of whom four are yet living: Amelia, now the
widow of A. McMillan, of Council Bluffs, and the mother of one daughter,
Frances, who has married Ralph Metzger, of Sterling, Colorado ; August G., of
Chicago, Illinois; Walter F., whose name introduces this review; and Ernestine,
the wife of Morris Woolman, of Council Bluffs.

At the usual age Walter F. Stephan became a public-school pupil and passed
through successive grades, mastering the branches of learning therein taught
until he reached the age of sixteen years, when he entered upon a more specific
business course as a pupil in a commercial college in Omaha. Having finished
his studies there, he entered the employ of Casady, Orcutt & French, wholesale
and retail dealers in carpets, continuing in that line for two years. He next
became an employe in the Adams Shoe Store, the predecessor of the Boston
Shoe Store, now out of business. He also spent two years there, when he be-



302 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

came an employe of Joseph E. Bixby, a plumber, under whom he learned the
trade, becoming an expert workman in that line during the three years in
which he remained in Mr. Bixby's employ. In 1887 he opened a shop of his
own, where the Grand Hotel now stands, and several years later he .removed to
his present location at No. 529 West Broadway. Here he has a well appointed
plumbing establishment and his patronage is extensive, for his work is executed
in most able manner, giving general satisfaction. His trade is well merited and



Online LibraryHomer Howard FieldHistory of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from the earliest historic times to 1907 (Volume 1) → online text (page 32 of 59)