Copyright
Homer Howard Field.

History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from the earliest historic times to 1907 (Volume 1) online

. (page 35 of 59)
Online LibraryHomer Howard FieldHistory of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from the earliest historic times to 1907 (Volume 1) → online text (page 35 of 59)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


one year but in 1868 he again turned his face toward the setting sun and at
length took up his abode in Madison county, Iowa, where he remained until
1871. He then removed to Clay county, Missouri, where he remained for a
year, and at the end of that time once more returned to Bureau county, Illinois,
working as a farm hand for twelve months. In 1873 he again made his way
to Madison county, Iowa, where he rented a farm and lived until 1884, when he
purchased a farm on section 14, Knox township, Pottawattamie county, Iowa,
on which he has since made his home. He is engaged in the raising of poultry
and hogs, of which he makes a specialty, and has also been in the dairy busi-
ness for several years. He is capably conducting these various branches of his
business and is meeting with a large measure of success in his undertakings by
reason of his indomitable perseverance and excellent management in the con
duct of his business interests.

On the 2d of March, 1871, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Ward and
Miss Lucy Cook, who was born near Princeton, Bureau county, Illinois, in 1846.
Her parents were both natives of Massachusetts and have departed this life. She
was one of a family of eight children and by her marriage has also become the
mother of the following children : Mary O, the wife of James Pritchard, liv-
ing in North Dakota; Nancy S., at home; Lucy L, who is now a missionary in
North Africa; Amy B., who became the wife of J. B. Altig, and now resides in
Colorado; Walter, living in North Dakota; Edyph, the wife of Fred E. Snider,
a resident of South Dakota; and Leta O, who is at home.

In his political affiliations Mr. Ward is a prohibitionist, being a stalwart
advocate of the temperance cause and having firm faith in its principles. He is



322 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

now serving as assessor of Knox township, having held this position for four-
teen years, and has also been school director for several years. In religious
faith both he and his wife support the Congregational church and are widely
known as people of genuine personal worth and commendable traits of char-
acter. Their many friends in this part of the county enjoy the hospitality of
their attractive home, and they have won the warm esteem of all with whom
they have come in contact.



CHARLES E. WALTERS.

Charles E. Walters has displayed much of the spirit of the pioneer and
of the inventor in the establishment and control of the business in which
he is now engaged. He has wrought along new lines, developing a business
the worth of which is widely acknowledged in banking circles. He is a
dealer in bank stock and the publisher of The Confidential Banker, a monthly
journal devoted to banking interests and the largest publication oT this
class in the United States.

Mr. Walters was born in Mendota, Illinois, on the 4th of April, 1865,
a son of Joshua W. and Fidelia Walters, who were natives of Illinois and
Pennsylvania, respectively. When our subject was about six years of age
his parents removed to Fillmore county, Nebraska, settling on a farm. He
attended the country schools of that locality — the only educational advan-
tages he received aside from the valuable lessons which he has learned in the
school of experience. At the age of seventeen years he entered the Fillmore
County Bank, at Fairmont, Nebraska, beginning at the very bottom round
of the ladder. He remained with that institution and its successor, the
First National Bank, until 1887, and at the time of the change in organiza-
tion and management he was made cashier, continuing in that position for
two years.

On the expiration of that period Mr. Walters entered the Citizens State
Bank in Council Bluffs as discount clerk and so served for about eighteen
month?, after which, in 1889, he organized a Mercantile Law and Collec-
tion Company, in Omaha, conducting the business under the name of
Charles E. Walters & Company (Inc.). The business, incorporated in 1892,
is still continued under the same name, with Mr. Walters as vice president
He remained an active factor in its management until 1896, when he was
appointed the first building and loan examiner of Iowa by the auditor of
state and organized the present system now in use in Iowa. At the same
time he was appointed state bank examiner and held both offices until Jan-
uary, 1899. At that date he was appointed assistant cashier of the First
National Bank of Council Bluffs, which in ISO!) succeeded the Citizens
State Bank, Mr. Walters remaining with the institution for about two years
as assistant cashier and auditor. When the Commercial National Bank was
organized in Council Bluffs he was made assistant cashier, remaining in
that position until 1903, when he resigned to accept the position of treas-





■SSm^



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 325

urer of the Fairmont Creamery Company, at Fairmont, Nebraska — the sec-
ond largest creamery in the world. He spent two years in that way,
established their present business system and acted as treasurer and business
manager until 1905, when he conceived the idea of his present business of
the buying and selling of banks, liquidation of banks, supplying of efficient
employes and the location of banks. All this grew out of his extensive
knowledge of the banking business, its needs and requirements, his knowl-
edge of the money market, and his recognition of the opportunity that
offered. It was a unique venture but has proven the wisdom and worth
of his business judgment, for success has attended him and the business is
developing along safe and satisfactory lines. The amount of his business
is indicated largely by his correspondence, his postage bill alone amounting
to thirty-five hundred dollars annually. At the same time he established
this enterprise Mr. Walters organized the publication, The Confidential
Banker, or "The Live Wire," which is a valuable little paper to those inter-
ested in or in any way connected with banking. Mr. Walter is also vice
president and director of the firm of Charles E. Walters & Company, which
besides being a law and mercantile company publishes Walters' Legal Direc-
tory. /

Qn the 25th of January. 1887. Mr. Walters was married, in Toulon,
Illinois, to Miss Eliza E. Wright, a daughter of Thomas J. and Ann (Losey)
Wright. They have one son, Ralph Wright Walters. Mr. Walters is a stal-
wart republican in political belief but takes no active part in political work,
although he -was at one time mayor of Fairmont, elected in 1903. He be-
longs to the Masonic fraternity, in which he has taken the Knight Templar
degree, and is at present filling the office of eminent commander. He also
belongs to the Mystic Shrine. He is pre-eminently a man of affairs and one
who has wielded a wide influence. He stands as a high type of our pro-
gressive American manhood — one who plans and does, who labors wisely
and well, and who is reaping the just reward of his labor.



ANDREW C. KELLER.

Andrew C. Keller, whose intense energy, intelligence and push have made
him well known in industrial circles in Council Bluffs, is engaged in the manu-
facture of horse collars. He is a native of Muncy, Lycoming county, Pennsyl-
vania, born September 27, 1863, and represents one of the old families of that
state, his parents being George D. and Mary E. ( Masters) Keller, who were mar-
ried in 1840. The father was born in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, in
1817, and the mother's birth occurred in Millville, Pennsylvania. He spent his
last days in Muncy. Pennsylvania, where he died in 1898, at the very venerable
age of eighty-one years. He had long survived his wife, who died in 1880. In
their family were eight children: Annie E., the wife of DeLay Green; Parvin
N. ; David M. ; Margaret, deceased; Jacob D. ; George M. ; Harry S. ; and An-
drew C, whose name introduces this review.



326 HISTORY OP POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

Andrew C. Keller spent his first sixteen years in Lycoming county, Penn-
sylvania, attending the public schools, and in his father's home receiving in-
struction which qualified him for the duties of life in later years. At the age
of sixteen years he started out on his own account, going to Grand Rapids,
Michigan, where he learned the trade of making horse collars. About two and
a half years were spent in the Wolverine state, after which he traveled over the
country for nine years, working in various places. In 1888 he located in
Omaha, Nebraska, opened a factory there for the manufacture of harness, and
six months later came to Council Bluffs, where he has lived continuously since
the 15th of April, 1889. Here he is engaged in the manufacture of horse col-
lars and has done a good business, becoming recognized as a leading represent-
ative of the industrial interests of the city.

On the 27th of September, 1897, Mr. Keller was married in Council Bluffs
to Miss Mary C. Dradge, of Omaha. He belongs to the Commercial Club of
this city, is president of the West Council Bluffs Improvement Club and also
affiliates with the Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks. His association with
the two former indicates his deep interest in the welfare of the city and its sub-
stantial growth and in many a movement for the public good he has been a co-
operant factor, whose labors have been far-reaching and beneficial.



WILLIAM DAVIS HARDIN.

William Davis Hardin, the well known city assessor, has been a life-long
resident of Council Bluffs. He was born here on the 13th of October, 1856, and
is a worthy representative of an honored pioneer family, being a grandson of
Davis Hardin, the first whit*' man to locate in Pottawattamie county, where he
was sent by President Van Huron to teach the Indians.

During his boyhood our subjeel acquired a good practical education in the
city schools and on laying aside his text-books at the age of fifteen years he be-
came a messenger boy for the Omaha Bridge Transfer Company, being thus
employed for two years. He next worked in the abstract and real-estate office
of J. P. & J. N. Casady for about the same length of time, and then accepted a
position in the county treasurer's office, serving as one of the deputies for two
years. During the following three years he was connected with a men's fur-
nishing goods establishment, after which he returned to the county treasurer's
office and remained there five years.

In the spring election of 1890 Mr. Hardin was first elected city assessor of
Council Bluffs and so satisfactorily did he discharge the duties of that office
that he has been several times re-elected, serving for ten consecutive years. For
four years thereafter he was connected with the tax department of the Union
Pacific Railroad and was then again chosen to the position of city assessor, in
which he has now served for four \ ears, being the present incumbent in that of-
fice. Although a strong democral and an active worker in the ranks of the
party he received a majority of eight hundred and fifty at the last election in a
city that usually elects a republican ticket. This fact plainly indicates his per-



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 321

sonal popularity and the confidence reposed in him by his fellow citizens as well
as the able manner in which he had previously filled the office. Socially he is
a member of the Royal Arcanum and is a man whose true worth and fidelity
to duty are widely recognized.



william r. Mcdowell.

William R. McDowell, engaged in farming and stock-raising, his time and
energies being devoted to the further development and improvement of two
eighty-acre tracts of land in Grove township, came to this county in the fall of
1863, from Clayton county, Iowa. Almost forty-five years have since come and
gone and the changes which have occurred have transformed this from a west-
ern frontier district into one of the leading counties of this great common-
wealth.

Mr. McDowell, as one of Iowa's native sons, has been most deeply inter-
ested in all that has pertained to its progress and improvement. He was born
near Epworth, Dubuque county, on the 15th of May, 1854, his parents being
Daniel and Barbara (Rice) McDowell, natives of Missouri and Ohio respec-
tively. For many years the father resided in Dubuque couny. He was a sur-
veyor and largely assisted in the surveys of the state and was closely associated
with its early development. In 1863 he removed to Pottawattamie county and
became the owner of the farm of one hundred and twenty acres of land in
Grove township, which is the present home of A. H. Ives. Here his wife died
in the spring of 1864. Some time afterward he started for Kansas but became
ill and passed away before reaching his destination, his death occurring at Rock
Island, Illinois, when about forty-four years of age. In their family were the
following children : U. G, Mrs. Susan Chapman, Mrs. Angie Romig, David,
Daniel and Lewis.

The other member of the family is William R. McDowell of this review,
who has spent the greater part of his active life in Pottawattamie county. He
has always lived in this state and since 1882 has been closely associated with
its agricultural interests, following farming as a means of livelihood. At one
time he owned a thresher operated by horse power and during the past eight
years he has owned a steam thresher, doing much threshing in this part of the
state. His life has been one of activity and enterprise and, realizing the value
of these qualities in business life, he has steadily worked his way upward until
he is now one of the substantial residents of his community.

In 1884 Mr. McDowell was married to Miss Alice Stidham, who was born
in Pottawattamie county in 1864, a daughter of David G. and Susan (Wine-
gar) Stidham, who came to this county in the '40s, settling in what is now
Grove township. The father entered a part of his farm from the government
and for the portion which he purchased from a former owner he paid a dollar
and a quarter per acre. Throughout his entire life he followed general agri-
cultural pursuits. The family were among the earliest settlers of this part of
the state and shared in all of the hardships and privations which are the in-



328 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

variable accompaniment of pioneer life. Mrs. Stidham did much of her trad-
ing at Council Bluffs in early times, the trip requiring some days. They went
to Salt Lake City with the Mormons but, becoming dissatisfied then-, deserted
the party and returned home, enduring many hardships and facing many dan-
gers on the backward trail. They then continued residents of Pottawattamie
county until called to their final rest, Mr. Stidham passing away in 1880 at the
age of seventy-two years, while his wife died in 1890 at the age of seventy- three
years. He was a man highly esteemed and respected throughout the com-
munity and his personal worth found public recognition in his selection for
various offices and positions of public trust. While in office about 1868 a Mr.
Bradway was brought to his house to remain over night while on his way to
Council Bluffs for trial. That night while under guard he was shot through
the window and killed, nine buck-hot lodging in his head and the same num-
ber in one arm. There were several people in the room at the time and Mr.
Bradway was trading pipes with a young man and joking with him when shot.
It was never proven who the murderer was although the people were almost
positive who did it. Mr. Stidman's family cumbered nine daughters and a
son. name!) : Mrs. Ethoda Gallup, now deceased; Ruth, who became the wife
of Mr. Osier and after his death married Mr. Wickersham but is now deceased;
Matilda, who died in childhood; Mrs. Caroline Johnson; Mrs. Ellen Dillard;
Melissa, who became Mr-. McCullough and after Losing her first husband be-
came Mrs. Pershall; Mrs. Joan Harkness; Mrs. Delia DeHart : Mrs. Alice Mc-
Dowell; and Samuel, deceased.

Mrs. McDowell was born and reared in Grove township, where she has
spent her entire life. By her marriage she has become the mother of the
following: Glenn, who is an engineer in South Dakota: Susan, at home;
Leonard, of South Dakota; Elmer, at home; Isabelle, deceased; one who died
in infancy; and Vera, at home.

In his political views Mr. McDowell is a republican and keep- well in-
formed on the questions and issues of the day. as every true American citizen
should do, but has never been an office seeker. He was elected justice of the
peace but would not qualify. Fraternally he is connected with the Modern
"Woodmen of America, and he and his wife are members of the Christian
church. They are well known as pioneer residents of the community and well
deserve prominent mention among the early settlers.



DAVID E. STUART.



David E. Stuart, a practitioner at the bar of Council Bluffs, and a member
of the firm of Saunders 4 Stuart, was born in Lucas county. Iowa, on the 16th
of October, 1869. He is descended from an old southern family, being a grand-
son of the Rev. David 0. Stuart, who on the 14th of July. 1007. celebrated his
ninetieth birthday anniversary, by delivering the morning sermon at the Meth-
odist church in Clarinda, Iowa, at which place he makes his home. Rev. Stuart
entered the West Virginia conference in 1855 and for a decade was engaged in



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 329

pastoral work on various circuits in that state. He had previous to that time
acted as a local preacher, having joined the Methodist church at Williamsburg,
Pennsylvania, in September, 1836, this place being located near the place of his
birth, which occurred in Huntington county, that state, on the 14th of July,
1817. He comes of Scotch-Irish parentage, and of sturdy Presbyterian stock.
In 1840, at Williamsburg, he wedded Mary Anna Spiece, of German birth.
Her death occurred in Clarinda on Christmas eve of 1893. Rev. Stuart came
with his family to Iowa in 1865, settling first in Warren county, near the little
town of New Virginia, at* which place the Van Scoys and Knotts had located,
they having previously lived in West Virginia, where Rev. Stuart had
been engaged in pastoral work. Rev. Stuart entered the Iowa conference
and was engaged in pastoral work first at I^on and later at Cambridge,
Boonesboro, Van Meter, Seranton, Waukee, Avoca, Woodburn, Min-
burn, Greencastle, Casey, Adair. Macksburg, Newborn. Weldon, New York
(Wayne county) and Red Oak, the last named circuit being the last regular
charge on which he served before his retirement in 1890, in which year he re-
moved to Clarinda, where he has made his home to the present time. Since
going to that city he has preached at the State Hospital for fifteen year-. In the
family of Rev. and Mrs. Stuart were five children: Rev. T. McK. Stuart; C.
W. Stuart, of Clarinda; D. 0. Stuart, a resident of Barlan, this state; George
A., president of Nanking University and dean of the Nanking Medical College
in China : and Mrs. Katherine A. Forbes, of Portland. I (regon. There are also
twenty-two grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. On attaining the
ninetieth anniversary of his birth his children, grandchildren and other rela-
tives gathered at home to celebrate the occasion, and a reception was also held
for him at the home of the Rev. J. W. Abel.

His son, Rev. T. McK. Stuart, was born in Blair county. Pennsylvania, on
the 19th day of May, 1843. He has filled various pulpits in Iowa. He has been
three separate terms presiding elder — twice of Chariton district and once of the
Creston district, making in all fifteen years. He has three times represented the
Des Moines Annual Conference in the General Conference, and during one
term of four years was a member of the Book Committee — the publishing
committee of the Methodist Book Concern, and for a term of three years
was a member of the National Board of Control of the Epworth League. It
is a matter of noteworthy interest that in the last year of his sendee in that
capacity the Epworth League Board of Control held their final meeting for
permanent organization in this city in Broadway church, May, 1892. He
was also. a member for four years of the insurance hoard of the Methodist
Episcopal church. He is now pastor of the church in Glidden, Iowa.

Mr. Stuart was married in 1867 to Miss Ruth E. Huff, of Fremont county.
Iowa, and they have four children, David E., Thomas E., Frederick C, and
Albert B. During the Civil war T. McK. Stuart served for some time as or-
derly sergeant of Captain William Logsdon's company of Independent State
Scouts in the state of West Virginia. Under the last call for volunteers he as-
sisted in raising a company for the volunteer infantry. Mr. Stuart is a gradu-
ate of the Simpson College of this state, which conferred on him the degree of
Bachelor and Master of Arts.



330 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

Because of his father's connection with the church, causing the removal
of the family to various towns, David E. Stuart acquiring his preliminary edu-
cation in different schools in Iowa prior to entering Simpson College, at Indian-
ola, Iowa. At the age of nineteen years he left college and engaged in teach-
ing school. His leisure hours during that time were devoted to the reading of
law, and in 1892 he was admitted to the bar, settling in Council Bluffs. In
1897 he formed his present partnership, becoming junior member of the firm
of Saunders & Stuart — a strong legal combination at the bar of that district.
He is an earnest and discriminating student, logical in his deductions and
fair in his reasoning, nor does he fear that laborious study, research and investi-
gation of the office, which must always precede the work of the courtroom,
never failing to give a careful preparation.

On Christmas day of 1906, in Council Bluffs. Mr. Stuart was married to
Miss Dorothy Green, a daughter of Robert Green. He belongs to various fra-
ternities, of which he is a valued representative, being a member of Bluff City
lodge. No. 71, A. F. & A. M.; Star chapter, No. 47, R. A. M. ; to the Knights
of Pythias: Modern Woodmen of America; and the Elks Lodge. Of the Ma-
sonic blue lodge he is now worshipful master. Endowed by nature with strong
intellectual force, making good use of his time, talents and opportunities, he has
steadily advanced in a profession wherein progress depends entirely upon indi-
vidual merit.



CAPTAIN LOUIS EUGENE RENARD.

The subjecl of this sketch is one of Council Bluffs' most bighly respected
citizens, occupying a prominent position in business circles, He lives at the
northeast corner of Sixth avenue ami Sixth street and aided by his estimable
wife, conducts a very popular private boarding house in a commodious two-
story brick dwelling. Their house is always filled with desirable patrons who
wish to enjoy the comforts of home life and at the same time have a table
equal to that di' the best 1 1 the quality of its viands. These two elements

may be enjoyed in the home of Captain Renard, who is a French chef and
personally looks after the cuisine. He was bom in Pari-. France, January 12,
1850. His father was Bernard Renard, a native of France, who died in Paris
at the age of eighty-six years, when his sun Louis F. was fcwenty-on.e years of
age. For a quarter of a century he was an inspector of government military
prisons. His wife, who bore the maiden name of .Mary Delphin, was also a
native of France and died eight years ago at the age of eighty >

Captain Renard spent the day.- of his boyhood and youth in his native
land and in 1872 came to America, settling fir-t in New York city, lie re-
mained there as head chef in the Brunswick Hotel for seven years and for eight
years he occupied similar positions in other hotels. He then located in St.
Louis, where he remained for a year, and in 18S8 he removed to Omaha. Ne-
braska, where he engaged in the restaurant business in the Bee building for
four years. On selling out he came to Council Bluffs, where he opened a high



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 331

class private boarding house, conducting business in several localities in the
city, being for six years in the Grand Hotel Annex. A few months ago he re-
moved to tbe corner of Sixth avenue and Sixth street, which location is close
to Bayliss park and in the same block and south of the postofhce. Here he is
conducting one of the finest boarding houses of the city, his previous experi-
ence in connection with hotels well qualifying him for his present business.
lie now owns a valuable residence property at No. 11 South First street, occu-
pied by Dr. D. Jackson.

Captain Renard was united in marriage to Miss Mary Captolia Hoy, at



Online LibraryHomer Howard FieldHistory of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from the earliest historic times to 1907 (Volume 1) → online text (page 35 of 59)