Copyright
Homer Howard Field.

History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from the earliest historic times to 1907 (Volume 1) online

. (page 36 of 59)
Online LibraryHomer Howard FieldHistory of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from the earliest historic times to 1907 (Volume 1) → online text (page 36 of 59)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Grand Island, Nebraska, December 17, 1891. She was born in Parkersburg,
Virginia, in 1870, and is a daughter of Daniel and Mary Elizabeth Hoy, who
reside on a farm near Saltillo, Nebraska. Mrs. Renard attended the common
schools of that place and afterward pursued a course in the State University at
Lincoln. She is now a member of Rebekah lodge, No. 3, and of the Pythian
Sisters, No. 185. She also belongs to the First Methodist Episcopal church, in
the work of which she is deeply interested, being now connected with its Ladies'
Aid Society. She is also a member of the Council Bluffs Women's Club and is
well known in the social life of the city. Unto Captain and Mrs. Renard was
born a daughter, Ida, in 1893, but she lived for only a few weeks.

Captain Renard is very prominent in fraternal circles, belonging to the
Knights of Pythias, the Knights of Khorassan, the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows and the encampment, the Eagles, the Royal Highlanders, the Modern
Woodmen of America, the Knights of the Maccabees, the Royal Arcanum, the
Tribe of Ben Hur, the Improved Order of Red Men, and the Commercial Club.
He began life without financial aid but possessed energy and honesty, which,
combined with his genial disposition and his unfailing courtesy as a host, have
made him very successful in his chosen field of labor. He is one of the best
known residents of Council Bluffs and enjoys in large measure the esteem and
friendship of all who know him.



G. J. MILLER.



G. J. Miller, engaged in general farming and stock-raising on section 7,
Neola township, owns a well improved farm of one hundred and twenty acres
and also operates another tract of similar amount. He is one of the early set-
tlers of. the county, having made his home within its borders since 1878. He
arrived here when a young man of twenty-five years, having been born in
Muskingum county, Ohio, May 18, 1853. His father, George Miller, was born
in Germany but was reared and married in this country. On coming to the
new world he settled near Zanesville, Ohio, where he reared his family and
spent his remaining days.

G. J. Miller was reared to manhood in his native county and educated in
the common schools. In the spring of 1878 he left his Ohio home and made his
way direct to Pottawattamie county, where he worked by the month as a farm
hand for four years, when with the money he had saved from his earnings he



332 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land, upon which he now resides.
This he broke and fenced, erected buildings thereon and continued the work
of opening up and developing a farm. For a time he kept bachelor's hall but
later completed arrangements for having a home of his own by his marriage in
Neola, on the 7th of August, 1884, to Miss Catherine D. Buchanan, a native of
Scotland, who came to the new world when a maiden of eleven years with her
father, John Buchanan, who on crossing the Atlantic established his home near
Neola, Iowa. The young couple began their domestic life upon the farm
where they have since lived. Mr. Miller has here erected a good residence, com-
modious and attractive in its style of architecture, and has also put up two barns
and outbuildings. He now cultivates two hundred and forty acres of land in
the production of grain and is also largely engaged in raising and feeding stock,
both branches of his business proving profitable.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Miller have been born five children : Jessie O, George
J., Arthur W., Janet T.. and Anna S. In his political view.- Mr. Miller has
been a life-long democrat where national issues are involved but casts an inde-
pendent local ballot. He served as township trustee for three years, was school
treasurer four years and secretary of the school board for eight years. He also
capably served as assessor for fourteen years, his last term being in 1896. He
has been a delegate to the county conventions and is much interested in the
political situation of the country, while in office he ha- always been found trust-
worthv. efficient and reliable. Both he and his wife are active and helpful
members of the Neola Presbyterian church, in which Mr. Miller is serving as
an elder, anil their upright lives and fidelity to principle have gained them the
kindly regard and warm friend-hip of many with whom they have come in
contact.



ELI L. SHUGART.



Eli L. Shugart, financially connected with various corporate interest.-
of Council Bluffs, a promoter of it- business enterprises and of all progres-
sive measures for the general good during the past forty years, is justly ac-
counted one of the leading and representative citizen- of Pottawattamie
county. His birth occurred in Fayetteville, Franklin county. Pennsylvania,
February 2".. 1836, his parents being John and Mary A. Shugart. The fam-
ily comes of a patriotic ancestry, the paternal grandfather, Eli Shugart.
having served as a soldier of the Revolutionary war during the greater part
of that long contest of arm-. His son, John Shugart, who was born and
reared in Pennsylvania, served a short time in defense of his country in
the war of 1812. John Shugart. the father of our subject, learned the trade of
a brick and -stone mason in early manhood in Pennsylvania and followed
contracting. Tn 1840 he removed with his family to what was then Richland
and is now Ashland county, Ohio, where he turned his attention to farm-
ing, there engaging in agricultural pursuits until 1850, when he took his
wife and children to Peoria county. Illinois. He afterward removed to
Bureau county, that state, and again engaged in farming, devoting his time








Cy^&^£&<^c^7 a^/^



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 385

and energies to the tilling of the soil until his life's labors were ended in
death.

E. L. Shugart received the benefit of careful training and of parental
love and attention in a good home and after attending the common schools
of Ashland county, Ohio, he had the privilege of continuing his studios in
the Vermilion Institute at Hayesville, that county. After removing to Ill-
inois he worked upon his father's farm and as opportunity offered attended
the pubic schools, also Smith's Princeton Academy at Princeton, Illinois,
and the Northwestern University at Henry, Illinois. Prior to this he had
learned the tinner's trade in Princeton. After putting aside his text-book-
in 1857 he engaged in the hardware business at Princeton for eleven years
and on the expiration of that period came to Council Bluffs, arriving in 1868.
Here he embarked in the wholesale implement business, in which he con-
tinued successfully for thirty-seven years. The city was only a small place
at the time of his arrival but he had great confidence in its future and de-
termined to make his home here, benefitting by its opportunities and in turn
contributing to its upbuilding through his business activity. As a wholesale
implement dealer he concentrated his energies upon the development of the
enterprise until the trade extended over western Iowa, South Dakota, north-
ern Missouri and part of Kansas. The patronage steadily grew in volume and
importance, the business becoming one of the leading commercial interests
of Council Bluffs. For seven years G. W. Lininger was a member of the
firm, having charge of their Omaha house and Mr. Shugart was then in
partnership with Frederick Weiss. For a time business was carried on as E.
L. Shugart and the Shugart Implement Company and then for several years
the firm was Shugart & Waite. When Mr. Weiss again became a member
of the company the name was changed to Shugart, Waite & Weiss, while
for several years it was the AVeiss Shugart Company and the Pioneer Imple-
ment Company for six years. Mr. Shugart then sold his interest in the
business but after living retired for one year became connected with Fuller
& Johnson, manufacturers, forming the Fuller-Johnson-Shugart Company.
which was in operation for several years, when Mr. Shugart retired. He
was successively vice president and president of the Empkie-Shugart-Hill
wholesale hardware house and a stockholder, director and vice president of
the Citizens State Bank, of which he was one of the organizers. He was
also connected with the First National Bank until his health failed, when
he resigned as director and vice president, but he is still financially interested
in the First National, the State Savings and the McClelland Banks, as well
as many other enterprises of the city, including the Independent Telephone
Company. His investments have been carefully made and prove the wis-
dom of his sound judgment and keen discernment. He is pre-eminently a
man of affairs and his sagacity and business discernment are qualities recog-
nized by all who know aught of his career. Whatever he has undertaken
he has carried forward to successful completion and the soundness of his
opinions concerning business matters is indicated by the excellent success
which has attended his efforts. He was the owner of extensive and valuable
real estate in Council Bluffs, which he has given his sons, having erected a



336 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

number of fine buildings in the city. He is also one of the principal donors
in connection with the Associated Charities in building a fine home for poor
women and children of Council Bluffs, now being erected.

On the 4th of September, 1860, Mr. Shugart was united in marriage to
Miss Angela R. Downing, a daughter of Heman and Rachel Downing, who
were pioneer settlers of northern Illinois. She pursued her education in
Mount Carroll Seminary and in Princeton, Illinois, and by her marriage
became the mother of four children, but the two daughters died at the age
of sixteen months. The sons are Lyman T. and Elmer E. The former
married Miss Jenette Hanthom, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Hanthom.
For his second wife Eli L. Shugart wedded Miss Mary J. Triplett on the 11th
of January, 1899. She was a daughter of Orville and Mary J. Triplett, of
Council Bluffs, and was educated at the high school of Fontanelle, Iowa,
from which she was graduated. She died at their country home near Council
Bluffs June 13, 1906, after giving birth to a boy baby, now named Marion
L. Shugart.

Mr. Shugart, although he did not serve his country at the front, was
a stalwart advocate of the Union during the Civil war and is a friend to
and popular with the Grand Army boys, whom he is always ready to assist.
He has been treasurer and presiding officer at their memorial services for
many years and is an honorary member of the Abe Lincoln post at Council
Bluffs. He also belongs to Excelsior lodge, \ 1". A: A. M.; Star chapter, R.
A. M., and Ivanhoe commandery, K. T., of all of which he became a charter
member in 1869. He likewise affiliate? with the Council Bluffs Commer-
cial Club and belongs to the First Presbyterian church.

His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he served
as a member of the city council for five years, beginning in 1871. He was
also a member of the county board of supervisors for three years but whether
in office or out of it his aid and co-operation can always be counted upon to
further any movement for the general welfare and his labors have been di-
rectly beneficial to the city in many ways. He was among those who were
instrumental in securing the grounds for beautiful Fairmount Park, of
which the city is now justly proud. He is interested in all matters of civic
virtue and of civic pride, i- opposed to anything like misrule in municipal
affairs and has done effective work for the city in advancing its material,
political, social and moral interests. Throughout his active business career
the house with which he was connected sustained an unassailable reputation
for commercial integrity and business ability. They passed through the
hard times and the financial panics of the '70s, weathering every storm and
at all times following business methods that neither seek nor require dis-
guise.

After having secured a comfortable competence Mr. Shugart retired to
a country home, Edgewood, which he had prepared near Council Bluffs,
Iowa, and here he expects to spend his remaining days. Since the death
of his second wife his son Lyman has taken charge of the large farm and
country home, known as Edgewood, where Mr. Shugart and his young son
have lived with his son Lvnian since the death of his wife, while his other



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 337

son, Elmer, now lives near him on a fine farm which the father has pro-
vided. In 1893 he bought the home farm, consisting of four hundred acres,
and now owns about fifteen hundred acres, having in the past few years
sold twelve hundred acres. He also owns a ranch of about two thousand
acres in Holt county, Nebraska. No man deserves in greater measure the
confidence, trust and respect of those with whom he has been associated and
his life record may well serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement
to others, showing what may be accomplished through carefully directed
diligence and perseverance and proving, too, that success and an honored
name may be won simultaneously.

l



FRANK J. CAPELL.



Frank J. Capell is numbered among the younger members of the bar of
Council Bluffs but nevertheless has attained a reputation in practice which
many an older attorney might well envy. He was born in Casey, Guthrie
county, on the 27th of December, 1874. His father is Dr. Western L. Capell,
who was born in Noble county, Ohio, in 1853. Preparing for the practice of
medicine, he was graduated from Barnes Medical College, and came to Iow-a in
1874. He now practices in Omaha and is recognized as an able physician of
that city. He was married in 1871, in Ohio, to Miss Ellen Rogers, and unto
them were born four children, of whom two died in infancy, while two are yet
living, Dr. Clarence S. Capell being a resident of Kansas City, Missouri. The
wife and mother died in Council Bluffs in 1890. The father still remains an
active member of the medical profession and has made a creditable record as a
practitioner.

When Frank J. Capell was quite young his parents removed to Modale,
Harrison county, Iowa, where the father engaged in the practice of medicine
until 1880. He then went with his family to De Soto, Kansas, where they
lived for three years, after which they returned to Modale, there remaining un-
til 1886. In that year they came to Council Bluffs. Frank J. Capell had been
a student in the public schools of Modale, Iowa, and in De Soto, Kansas, while
in Council Bluffs he again took up his studies, completing a high-school course
by graduation in the class of 1894. Ambitious for still further advancement
of this character, he entered the University of Iowa, at Iowa City, where he
spent two years as a student and then matriculated in the University of Ne-
braska, at Lincoln, from which institution he was graduated in 1899. In the
meantime, however, in May, 1898, he had offered his services to the country
as a member of Company A, Third Nebraska Volunteer Infantry, Colonel
William Jennings Bryan commanding. He was finally rejected, however, on
account of a disabled ankle caused by a football accident. Resuming his
studies in the university, he remained in Lincoln until 1899, when he entered
the law office of AVright & Stout, attorneys at Omaha, and while there he also
attended the Western School of Law, from which he was graduated in 1901.
The same vear he was admitted to the bar, and in 1903 he came to Council



338 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

Bluffs, being now with the law firm of Hail & Tinley. He has since practiced
his profession here, making gradual but steady advancement in a calling where
progress depends entirely upon individual merit, learning and skill.

In 1902 Mr. Capell was married in Council Bluffs to Miss Adele Meyers,
and they have a son and daughter, Richard L. and Katharine F. The parents
are well known socially in the city and have many warm friends here. They
attend the Presbyterian church and Mr. Capell holds membership relations
with the Phi Delta Theta, a college fraternity.



EDWIN H. GEISE.



Edwin H. Geise devotes his time and energies to general farming and also
to the raising and breeding of pure blooded Hereford cattle, in which connec-
tion he is well known, being classed with the leading stock-feeders of this part
of the county. His home is on section 16, York township, where he and his
father own and conduct a farm of four hundred and eighty acres, under the
firm name of C. & E. II. Geise. This is a well improved and valuable property,
lacking in none of the equipments or accessories of a model farm.

Edwin H. Geise has a wide acquaintance in Pottawattamie county, for hi-
entire life has here been passed and his record is as an open book to his many
friends. He was born in Council Bluffs, July 28, 1868, and is a son of Conrad
Geise, a native of Germany, who came to the new world with his sister when a
young man of sixteen years. He settled in this county among its earlier resi-
dents, bought wild land and opened up a large farm, owning al one time six
hundred and eighty acres, a portion of which he has since sold. In his business
affairs he has gained a reputation for reliability and enterprise, which classes
him with the leading agriculturists of this part of the state. At one time Mr.
Geise owned and operated a brewery al Council Bluffs but retiring from that
business, he located upon the farm where for many years he successfully con-
ducted the work of field and meadow. In 1904, however, he returned to the
county seat, where he is now assisting with soda water manufacture and also
with the manufacture of cereal food products. He is one of the prominent
business men of the city, actively associated with its commercial and industrial
interests, his labors and enterprise contributing to the general business de-
\ elopment. Further mention of Mr. Geise is made elsewhere in this volui

Edwin H. Geise was reared to manhood in the county seat and acquired
his education in the public schools there. He was also a student in the Educa-
tional Institute, at St. Louis. Missouri, finishing his course there in 188.6. He
then returned to his native city and was associated with his father in manufac-
turing interests there until 1891, when he came to the farm and has since
successfully carried on general agricultural pursuits and stock-raising. After
some years he turned his attention to the business of breeding and raising
Hereford cattle and now has about one hundred and forty head upon his
place, all pure blooded registered -lock, this being one of the fines! herds to
be found in the Mississippi valley. He has two fine bulls at the head of hi-



HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY 339

herd, both having been exhibited and won prizes at the state fairs. Mr. Geise
also makes a business of raising and feeding stock. He has his place mostly
in grass in order to afford pasturage for his cattle. His stock-raising interests
arc very extensive, constituting him one of the leading representatives of this
line of business in Pottawattamie county.

On the 18th of March, 1891, Mr. Geise was married in Underwood, to
Miss Anna Klopping, a daughter of Augusi Klopping, and a sister of K. W.
and A. K. Klopping, mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume.
Three children grace this marriage, Fred, Pearl and Edna, all of whom are
still under the parental roof. The parents are prominent socially in the
county, having a wide and favorable acquaintance in Council Bluffs, in Under-
wood and in fact throughout the entire county, their social qualities render-
ing them popular, while the hospitality of their own home is greatly enjoyed
by their many friends.

Mr. Geise gives his political allegiance to the democratic party where
national issues are involved but at local elections casts an independent ballot.
He was elected and served for two years as justice of the peace but otherwise
has held no official position, desiring to concentrate his time and energies
upon his business affairs. He is numbered among the well known breeders
and dealers in pure blooded registered Hereford cattle and has raised some fine
animals. He is a successful agriculturist, stock-breeder and business man
and though he had the assistance of hi- father in starting out in business life
his record demonstrates the fact that success is not a matter of genius but is
the outcome of clear judgment, experience and capable management.



WILLIAM A. MYNSTER.

William A. Mynster, a prominent representative of the legal profession
who has successfully engaged in practice at Council Bluffs since his admis-
sion to the bar in 1866, claims Denmark as his native land, being born in
Copenhagen on the 13th of October, 1843. He is the only child of Christopher
and Maria Mynster and was about three years of age when brought to this
country by his parents, the family locating in Washington, IX C. In the
spring of 1851 they came to Council Bluffs, being the first Danish family to
locate in Pottawattamie county and probably the first in the state. Today
the Danish population in Iowa is greater than in any other state.

Mr. Mynster grew to manhood in Council Bluffs, pursuing his early
education in the public schools. Later he attended Sinsinawa Mound College
in Wisconsin and the St. Louis University, graduating from the latter insti-
tution in 1861. He subsequently entered the Albany Law School at Albany,
New York, where he was graduated in 1865, and then returned to his home
in Council Bluffs to engage in the practice of his chosen profession. For one
year he was alone and then formed a partnership with E. W. Hight, being
engaged in practice for several years under the firm name of Mynster &
Hight. He was next a member of the firm of James, Aylesworth & Mynster



340 HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

and still later that of Mynster, Mickle & Davis and that of Mynster & Adams.
His next association was in the firm of Mynster, Lindt & Seabrook, and still
later was a member of the firm of Mynster & Lindt.

Mr. Mynster was united in marriage to Miss E. A. Platner, a daughter
of Ira Platner, an early settler of Council Bluffs. She died in November,
1886, leaving five children, namely: William Rufus Choate, Marie,
Ira O, Lester A. and Henry F. Mr. Mynster was again married August 31,
1898, his second union being with Miss Bertha Sherere, a daughter of George
Sherere, a native of Switzerland, and to them has been born a son, Carl.

By his ballot Mr. Mynster formerly supported the men and measures of
the democratic party but has been a republican for a number of years. He
has never been a politician in the sense of office seeking, though he has served
as president of the city council and as attorney of Pottawattamie county. He
is a prominent member of the Danish Brotherhood, the Danabo and the
Danish Social Society, being one of the founders of the last named organiza-
tion. He is the nestor of the county bar and has known personally every
judge and practicing attorney located here. He has been elected president
of the Pottawattamie County Bar Association for three terms and is now hold-
ing that position. Possessing all the requisite qualities of the- able lawyer,
he has met with marked success in his chosen calling. He is a strong advocate
with the jury, and concise in his appeals before the court. His reputation
as a lawyer has been won through earnest, honest labor and his standing at
the bar is a merited tribute to his ability.



JULIUS C. DEETKEN, D. D. S.

1
i

Located in a well equipped office with all modern appliances known to
the science of dentistry. Dr. Deetken is enjoying an enviable practice, having
gained a reputation as one of the leading members of the dental fraternity
in Council Bluffs, his native city. He was born on the 6th of October, 1874,
and is a son of Dr. Carl Deetken, a native of Carlsruhe, Germany, born in
1842. The father came to America in early manhood, settling in Council
Bluffs. He began the study of medicine in this city and was graduated from
the Long Island College Hospital of New York. He had studied pharmacy
in his native country and a year after coming to Council Bluffs he opened a
drug store on upper Broadway, carrying on the business until his death in
1903. His political support was given to the democracy and he served as
coroner of Pottawattamie county. He became well known during the years
of his residence here and as a business man and citizen, as well as in social
relations, made an excellent reputation. He was married in Council Bluffs



Online LibraryHomer Howard FieldHistory of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, from the earliest historic times to 1907 (Volume 1) → online text (page 36 of 59)