Ill.) La Salle Book Company (Chicago.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1899) online

. (page 35 of 110)
Online LibraryIll.) La Salle Book Company (ChicagoAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1899) → online text (page 35 of 110)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


schools, and he then went to Michigan, where he
found employment as a school teacher. Return-
ing for a short time to the home farm, he became,
in his eighteenth year, check clerk on board the
steamer "Empire State," plying between Buffalo
and Chicago, then the finest vessel on the Lakes.
He was subsequently on board the "Wisconsin"
one year, and returned, as chief clerk, to the
"Empire State," where he continued five years.
He also served on the "Southern Michigan" and
' 'Western Metropolis, ' ' all these boats being the
property of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern
Railroad. The last two only ran from Buffalo to
Monroe or Toledo, where they connected with
that portion of the railroad completed from Chi-
cago to those points. Mr. Clark was on board
the steamer "Northern Indiana" when it burned
on Lake Erie, one beautiful morning, off Point
au Place, with a loss of between four and five
hundred passengers. Being a good swimmer,
he remained on board until the fire had swept to
the stern of the vessel (because of its propulsion
toward the shore) , and after entering the water
saved several passengers by giving up to them
doors which he had wrenched from the staterooms
for his own use. He was finally picked up by a
boat bound for Buffalo, and made his regular
trip out of that port on another vessel the night
of the same day. When the "Golden Gate" was



wrecked on the bar at the mouth of Erie Harbor,
a short time later, Mr. Clark was on board, and
was saved with all the rest save one, who tried
to swim ashore in the midst of the wreckage. The
wreck was continually swept by the waves, but
it was safer than the choppy bay, full of the
floating cargo of the "Golden Gate." All who
remained on board were safely conveyed to shore
by a Government vessel in the morning. With
the exception of one year, which was spent as re-
ceiver in charge of the ticket office at Buffalo,
Mr. Clark continued in the marine service until
he settled in Chicago in 1857.

Having made some successful investments in
Chicago during his previous visits here, he de-
cided to settle here, a resolution which was, prob-
ably, strengthened by his marriage, in 1857, to
one of Chicago's fair daughters. This was Miss
Blanche, only daughter of the late Daniel Elston,
one of Cook County's most worthy and honored
pioneers. In 1859 Mr. Clark turned his atten-
tion to the fuel trade, and later dealt in lumber,
but his chief occupation has been the handling of
realty. For the last twenty years he has made a
specialty of leasing residence property to others
who would improve it, and has been largely in-
strumental in building up what was formerly a
suburb known as Lake View, now a part of the
great metropolis in name as well as in fact. He
has naturally taken a keen interest in the moral
and material welfare of that section, and has act-
ively participated in the government of the town
and village of Lake View. In political affilia-
tion he is found with the Democratic party on
national issues. In religious belief he is ex-
ceedingly liberal, and very independent in all
thought and action. His early experience taught
him self-reliance, and his history should serve as
a worthy example to the ambitious young man.
He is still the owner of the old homestead in New
York. Mr. Clark is fond of hunting, and is a
member of the Poygan Shooting Club, whose
members spend much of the duck-hunting season
on Lake Poygan, in Wisconsin.






LIBRARY

OF THE

i:':vEBrTY OF imr



G. M. PULLMAN.



231



GEORGE MORTIMER PULLMAN.



G) EORGE M. PULLMAN was born in Brocton,
l_ Chautauqua County, New York, March 3,
\^\ 1831, and is the third child of James Lewis
and Emily Caroline Pullman. The father was a
native of Rhode Island. Emily C. Pullman was
the daughter of James Minton, of Auburn, New
York. She was a good wife and mother, and
assisted her husband in implanting in the minds
of their children the best moral principles, while
inculcating habits of industry and careful study.
The father was a builder and house-mover, and
George early began to observe his methods, while
assisting in his operations. Some very useful ap-
pliances of the business are the invention of the
elder Pullman. He died in 1853, and the respon-
sibility of head of the family fell upon George,
who was the eldest unmarried son. Through
almost forty years of her widowhood, he was the
stay and loving aid of his mother, who passed
away in May, 1892, after seeing all her seven chil-
dren occupying responsible and useful positions
in life.

Royal H., the first-born, is pastor of the First
Uuiversalist Church of Baltimore. His interest
in public affairs is demonstrated by the fact that
he was the candidate of his party for Congress in
1890. Albert B., who died in 1893, occupied up
to 1882 responsible positions in the Pullman
Palace Car Company, which is the creation of his
younger brother, George. James M. Pullman,
D. D., is pastor of the Universalist Church at
Lynn, Massachusetts, the leading parish of that
sect in America. Charles L. was, until Septem-
ber, 1894, contracting agent for the Pullman Com-
pany, but is now engaged in other business in
Chicago; and Frank W. was Assistant United
States District Attorney of New York, where he
died in 1879. Helen A. is the wife of George



West, of New York; and Emma C. is the wife of
Doctor William F. Fluhrer, chief surgeon of Belle-
vue Hospital, New York.

George M. Pullman was always of a practical
turn of mind, and was a diligent student of
branches which were calculated to fit him for a
business life. He enjoyed the benefit of a com-
mon-school education, and is remembered as an
industrious and hard-working pupil. At the age
of fourteen, he undertook to sustain himself, his
first employment being that of a clerk at $40 per
year. Neither his remuneration nor his tastes or
habits were likely to lead him into dissipation,
and he seems to have done his work with credit
to himself and satisfaction to his employer. At
the end of the year he joined his eldest brother,
who had a cabinet-making shop at Albion, New
York. This pursuit was well calculated to pre-
pare him for the subsequent conduct of the larg-
est building and furnishing enterprise in the
world, though he was, probably, wholly uncon-
scious of his future at that time. He persevered
and was faithful, because it was part of his nature,
as well as the natural result of his teachings and
early surroundings. He continued in the cabinet
work until the death of his father, in 1853. The
long illness of the head of the family, who wasted
away in gradual decline, had exhausted the means
of the common purse, so that the widow was con-
fronted with the necessity of providing for her-
self and her minor children. In doing this, she
was not left to battle alone, for her son George at
once took up the responsibility of head of the
household and relieved her of financial burdens.
The Erie Canal was about to be enlarged, and
the commissioners had asked for bids for raising
or removing many buildings along its banks.
Young Pullman was the successful bidder on some



232



G. M. PULLMAN.



of these contracts, and so well did he manage his
enterprise that he was enabled to maintain the
family in comfort, and arrived in Chicago in 1859
with a capital of $6,000 as the result of his sav-
ings. About this time the courts decided that
Chicago had the power to grade the streets, and
he quickly found ample employment in raising
the buildings to correspond with the grade.
Probably but few of the modern residents of the
city know that the streets of the South Side are
some ten feet above the original prairie level, and
that the buildings standing in 1856 had to be
raised that distance to meet the street level. In
1860 Mr. Pullman was occupying a lot of two
hundred feet front, at the corner of Washington
and Franklin Streets, with his machinery and ap-
pliances, and a small one-story building for an of-
fice. He was full of the spirit of push and prog-
ress which animated Chicago in those days, and
did not hesitate to enter upon undertakings of
great magnitude. Among these was the lifting
of the entire block of brick buildings facing the
north side of Lake Street, between Clark and La
Salle. This was successfully accomplished by
the aid of six thousand jackscrews, without in-
terruption to the business conducted in the struc-
tures, or the breaking of a single pane of glass
or a yard of plaster.

A recent writer says: " His true mission was
the creation of the sleeping-car system. *
Nowhere else has the matter of splendid, ingen-
ious, artistic appliances for indoor comfort been
carried to such a pitch as in the devising and
constructing of the palace car, of which thousands
have been built; and each year, if not each day
and each car, brings a studied advance on its pre-
decessor. * * Giving his days to labor
and his nights to restful travel, a man may spread
his field of usefulness over a continent, without
the sapping of his strength or the shortening of
his days."

The idea of the sleeping-car came to him one
night while observing his fellow train-passengers
buying head-rests from a vendor to mitigate the
discomfort of an all-night ride. Soon after, he
took passage on one of the " night cars" of the
time, and while seeking repose on the comfortless



shelf provided, evolved the idea of the modern
sleeper. His knowledge of cabinet-making here
came to his aid, and he met and overcame many
difficulties in the preparation of a model. The
general plan varied but little from the present
form, having comfortable berths that could be put
away during the day, leaving a coach suitable for
day travel. In 1859 he secured from the Chicago
& Alton Railway two old passenger coaches to
experiment with, and in an unused railway shed,
on the present site of the Union Passenger Station
at Chicago, he worked to realize his idea, wholly
at his own expense. The result was the first
pair of real "sleepers" in the country, which
were put in successful operation on the night
trains between Chicago and St. Louis.

This result did not deter him from an under-
taking which he had for some time contemplated,
namely, a trip to the gold fields of Colorado.
After three years of mining, he returned to Chi-
cago very little richer in purse, but with addi-
tions to his stock of experience. He now set to
work to improve his original design of sleeping-
cars, which no one had had the shrewdness to
take advantage of during his absence. The cars
which he had remodeled were too small and not
of sufficient strength to carry out his ideas, and
he set to work to construct one especially for the
purpose. The car must be higher, the berths
wider, and more taste and elegance employed in
its furnishing. At an expenditure of one year's
time and $18,000 in money, he produced the first
real ' ' palace car. ' ' It was named the ' ' Pioneer, ' '
and is now stored in honorable retirement at
Pullman; but it was found to be too high to go
under some of the viaducts spanning the rail-
roads, and the wide steps would not pass the
platforms of many stations. It began to look as
if he must build a railroad to accommodate his
invention. Just at this time the body of the
martyred President, Lincoln, was to be brought
from Washington to his native state, and the
obstacles to the passage of the ' ' Pioneer ' ' were
removed, in order that it might be employed in
that sad funeral journey. It formed a part of
the train which took the body to its last resting-
place at Springfield. From that time the eastern



G. M. PULLMAN.



233






roads were open to it and its counterparts. The
present wide use of the Pullman sleepers, in
Europe as well as in America, is too well known
to need comment. The history of the Pullman
Palace Car Company is almost as well understood,
though many who enjoy the facilities for comfort-
able travel afforded by it know little of the labors
of its founder in establishing a happy and desira-
ble home for its employes at Pullman.

The history of the great strike at Pullman and
among railway employes in 1894 is also now a
matter of history. During its progress Mr. Pull-
man maintained a dignified and consistent atti-
tude, notwithstanding much harsh and unjust
criticism; and the course of the Pullman Com-
pany in that struggle has been generally vindi-
cated.

The Nation, in its issue of November 22, 1894,
refers to the general feeling that the existence of
the Government and of society itself was at stake
in this strike, and that to give in to the strikers
at that point, or at any point, would have been a
deadly blow to liberty and the rights of property;
and says: "What account of the circumstances
accompanying this strike, which was not so much
a strike as a social convulsion, can be complete
if it leaves out the intense anxiety of the best
citizens lest a fatal surrender of principle should
be made ?" * * * " There were hundreds of
thousands of the best American citizens who re-
joiced with great joy at that critical moment that
Mr. Pullman was unyielding;" and "Americans
abroad anxiously scanned the fragmentary des-
patches and prayed fervently that Mr. Pullman
would at any rate stand firm."

Mr. Pullman has been identified as an initial
force with other large enterprises than the Palace
Car Company, of which he is the head. Among
these may be mentioned the Metropolitan Ele-
vated Railway of New York, which was con-
structed in the face of determined and powerful
opposition. He has taken an active interest in
the project for the construction of a canal across
the isthmus of Nicaragua. Another work in
which he rendered great public sen-ice was in the
distribution of relief funds after the great fire of
1871. At the earnest appeal of Mayor Mason,



he accepted the charge of disbursements as trus-
tee, which was accomplished without the loss of
a dollar, though to the detriment of his private
interests through consumption of his time.

In private life Mr. Pullman is a patron of art
and literature, and a supporter of elegance and
refinement in society. In 1867 he married Miss
Hattie A., daughter of James Y. Sanger (whose
biography appears elsewhere in this work). Two
daughters, who are active in philanthropic and
religious work, and twin sons complete the fam-
ily. They are: Florence Sanger; Harriet S.,
now the wife of Francis J. Carolan; George M.,
Jr. , and Walter Sanger.

It has been Mr. Pullman's happy privilege to
erect for the Universalist Society at Albion, New
York, a memorial of his parents, in the form of
a handsome and substantial church edifice. It
is built of dark brown Medina stone, 125x80 feet
in ground dimensions, with perfect furnishings
and decorations. On the right and left, as one
enters the auditorium, are placed the bronze
medallion portraits of Mr. Pullman's father and
mother. They were designed by Sculptor Carl
Rohl Smith, of Chicago. They are oval, two
feet five inches by one foot nine inches, and
framed in a narrow moulding, ornamented with
pearls. The tablet inscription is as follows:

Erected by a Son

as a
Memorial to His Father,

JAMES LEWIS PULLMAN,

In Recognition of His Love and Work for the
Universalist Church and Its Faith,

and
In Memory of His Mother,

EMILY CAROLINE PULLMAN,

One with Her Husband in the Joys and Hopes of

Religion .
Dedicated January, 1895.

It is inclosed in a border composed of a wreath
of ivy, the symbol of affection. A beautiful me-
morial window is in the west transept.

The dedicatory services were held on the last
day of January, 1895, the sermon being delivered
by Rev. R. H. Pullman, of Baltimore. At the
installation of the pastor, on the same day, the



234



C. G. HUTCHINSON.



Rev. James M. Pullman, of Lynn, Massachusetts,
preached the installation sermon, when the Rev.
Charles Fluhrer, D. D., late of Grand Rapids,
Michigan , was made pastor. Others who officiated



in the services were the Rev. Dr. C. H. Eaton,
D. D., of New York; the Rev. Dr. J. K. Mason,
D. D., of Buffalo; and the Rev. Asa Saxe, D. D.,
of Rochester.



CHARLES G. HUTCHINSON.



/HHARLES GROVE HUTCHINSON, a pro -

I ( gressive and energetic business man of Chi-
\,J cago, was born in Williamsville, Erie Coun-
ty, New York, January 24, 1847, and is a son of
William H. Hutchinson and Jane Grove. The
Hutchinson family, which is, doubtless, of Eng-
lish origin, located in the Connecticut Colony as
early as the seventeenth century. Joseph, the
father of William H. Hutchinson, served through
the War of 1812, as lieutenant of a company of
Connecticut troops. He took part in the campaign
about Fort Erie and Buffalo, and the close of the
war found him stationed at Detroit. Soon after the
cessation of hostilities he resigned his commission
and settled in western New York. His sojourn
in this locality during the war had revealed to
him its pre-eminent advantages as an agricult-
ural country. For many years he was landlord
of the Mansion House at Williamsville. His
death occurred in Chicago in 1877, at the age of
seventy-nine years.

William H. Hutchinson, who was born in Leb-
anon, Connecticut, removed with his family to
Chicago in the spring of 1849. Soon after com-
ing to this city he began the manufacture of soda
water, which he continued up to the time of his
death, which occurred in 1880, at the age of six-
ty-five years. His place of business was at the
corner of Randolph and Peoria Streets, where he
erected a large factory, which escaped destruction
in the Great Fire. The family residence, at the



corner of North State and Erie Streets, was swept
away in that conflagration. His prompt loan of
a quantity of soda-water boxes, which afforded
admirable pigeon-holes at the time, enabled the
postoffice to resume the distribution of the mails
with little delay after the fire. He was ever a
public- spirited citizen and an enthusiastic ad-
herent of the Democratic party, contributing
much of his time as an organizer and worker for
its success, though always refusing to be himself
a candidate for any office.

Mrs. Jane (Grove) Hutchinson was bora in New
York. Her father, who was a native of Penn-
sylvania, was of Dutch descent. The name was
originally written Groff. While returning from
a visit to Mackinaw, in 1856, Mrs. Hutchinson
became a victim of one of the saddest disasters
which ever occurred upon Lake Michigan, being
one of the passengers of the ill-fated steamer
" Niagara," which burned off Port Washington,
Wisconsin. She was the mother of four sons:
Chester M., of Hawthorne, Cook County, Illi-
nois; William A., who is in the United States
revenue service at Port Townsend, Washington;
and George C. and Charles G., both of whom are
residents of Chicago. William H. Hutchinson
was married a second time, to Miss Mary M.
Warner, of Williamsville, New York, and they
became the parents of two sons, Douglas and
Eugene, the latter of whom is now deceased, and
the former resides in Chicago.



G. M. ROGERS.



235



Charles G. Hutchinson attended the Washing-
ton School of Chicago until he was fifteen years
old, after which he was a student for four years at
the Military Academy at Fulton, Illinois. After
the close of the Civil War there being no further
promise of demand for military service he re-
turned to Chicago, and became identified with
his father's business, which he continued to con-
duct for some time after the death of its founder.
In 1879, in company with his brother, George C.
Hutchinson, he established a factory for the pro-
duction of bottlers' supplies and extracts, under
the firm name of W. H. Hutchinson & Son, which
is still retained. Two years later the present
factory on Desplaines Street was built, and about
forty men are employed therein. The subject of
this notice is also identified with several other im-
portant industries. He is a stockholder and
Treasurer of the Independent Brewing Associa-
tion, and President of the Chicago Fountain Soda
Water Company. He is one of the stockholders



of the Coit Paint Company (incorporated) , and is
the inventor and patentee of the Hutchinson
Spring Bottle Stopper, a unique and useful ap-
pliance, which has come into almost universal use.
Mr. Hutchinson is a prominent member of the
Masonic fraternity, being identified with D. C.
Cregier Lodge, Washington Chapter, Chicago
Commander}', Knights Templar, Oriental Con-
sistory and Medinah Temple of the Mystic Shrine.
Like his father, he has been a life-long Democrat,
but never seeks public position. He is an en-
thusiastic and successful sportsman, and makes
frequent excursions to the woods of Northern
Wisconsin for the purpose of indulging his taste
for fishing and hunting. He is a member of the
Eagle River Fishing and Shooting Club, and of
the Cumberland Gun Club, two of the leading
sportsmen's organizations of Chicago. In all his
business and social relations he is deservedly pop-
ular, through his genial and social disposition
and his kind and courteous manners.



GEORGE M. ROGERS.



(EORGE MILLS ROGERS is not only dis-
tinguished as one of the foremost attorneys
and jurists of Chicago, but has given much
study and careful attention to the leading public
questions of the day. He is well versed in prob-
lems relating to political economy and municipal
reform, and his views are never narrowed by con-
siderations of party policy, nor are his expressions
colored by mere personal or mercenary motives.
His professional integrity and his reputation as
a citizen have been equally well maintained, and
no modern record of Chicago's representative men
would be complete without some notice of his
achievements.



Mr. Rogers was born at Glasgow, Kentucky,
on the sixteenth day of April, 1854, and is a
son of the Hon. John Gorin Rogers and Arabella
E. Crenshaw, extended notice of whom, together
with the genealogy of their families, is given
elsewhere in this volume. The subject of this
sketch was but four years old when the family
came to Chicago. He was educated at the public
schools and the Chicago University, supplement-
ing the instruction so received by a course at Yale
College, from which famous institution he was
graduated in 1876. He began his legal studies
in the office of Crawford & McConnell, and con-
tinued the same in the Union College of Law



236



G. M. ROGERS.



now the law department of the Northwestern
University.

In 1878 he was admitted to the Bar, and began
practice in partnership with Samuel P. McConnell,
a well-known barrister, since one of the Judges of
the Circuit Court of Cook County. During the
continuance of this partnership he was chosen at-
torney for the Citizens' Association, and was a
member of the committee which prepared and
secured the passage of the original reform city
election law. He also personally prepared the
primary election law, which was adopted verbatim
by the committee of the association having that
subject in charge, and was presented to the Legis-
lature for adoption. Owing to the fact that this
bill was in charge of Senator Crawford during its
passage, it became known as the ' ' Crawford
Election Law."

His services in behalf of this association could
not fail to attract attention to his signal ability as
a lawyer and a statesman, and caused his ap-
pointment as Assistant City Attorney. This po-
sition he filled with such credit that, in 1886, he
was appointed City Prosecuting Attorney, but ow-
ing to the ill-health of his wife, which demanded
that he should travel with her, he resigned the
office in April of the following year. After return-
ing to the city he was appointed, in November,
1887, to the office of Assistant United States At-
torney, but resigned that position in the following
March, to re-engage in private law practice.
With this business he has combined that of real-
estate and loans, and his transactions have grown
to such volume as to require the assistance of
several clerks.

On the ist of February, 1889, he was ap-
pointed n Master in Chancery of the Circuit Court
of Cook County, and has discharged the duties of
that judicial office with such candor and im-
partiality as to earn and receive the approbation
of courts, attorneys and litigants.

In 1893 it was deemed advisable by the leading
lawyers of Chicago to take some practical steps
toward the separation of judicial affairs from the
contamination of political interests. With this
end in view, they placed in nomination eight
candidates for judicial positions, who were equally



Online LibraryIll.) La Salle Book Company (ChicagoAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1899) → online text (page 35 of 110)