Ill.) La Salle Book Company (Chicago.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1899) online

. (page 54 of 110)
Online LibraryIll.) La Salle Book Company (ChicagoAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1899) → online text (page 54 of 110)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Passing through a country infested with tories, he
was in constant danger of his life, and one time
was obliged to abandon his horse and run through
the woods to escape capture. He took shelter
behind a sheet of water which fell over a preci-
pice, leaving a space in which his body could be
concealed. After his pursuers had passed he re-
sumed the journey on foot and succeeded in de-
livering his message.

In 1788 Lemuel Shedd became one of the first
settlers of Norway, Maine, where Joseph Stevens
built the first house in 1786. He married Ruth
Simonds, a descendant of Samuel Simonds, a prom-
inent Puritan of Boston. They had four children,
three of whom grew up, namely: Nathaniel P.,
_ Abigail (Mrs. Joseph Holt), and John S. The
last named lived and died upon a farm in Norway.
He passed a peaceful, uneventful life, and was
never involved in litigation of any kind. He first
married Miss Alice Noyes, by whom he had two
children Clarissa wife of Francis Blake, of Lar-
amie, Wyoming; and Ward Noyes, who lost his
life during the Kansas Border War in 1857. Af-
ter the death of his first wife Mr. Shedd married
Miss Sally Coffin, a native of Conway, New
Hampshire. The names of their children are,
Augustus F. of Chicago; Alice Augusta, widow
of Moses Rolfe, now living on the old homestead
at Norway, Maine; Ezra T. ; and John Wesley,
who died in infancy. Sally Coffin was a daugh-
ter of James Coffin, and her mother was a daugh-
ter of Phcebe (Richardson) Stevens.

James Coffin was a descendant of Tristam Cof-
fin, who settled at Salisbury, Massachusetts, in
1642. ' As early as the fourth century the Coffin
family had extensive estates in Normandy. Sir
Richard Coffin, knight, accompanied William the
Conqueror to England in 1066, and the manor of
Alwington, in Devonshire, was assigned to him
in recognition of his services. His descendants
were prominent knights through several succeed-
ing reigns. Tristram Coffin was born at Brixlin,
near Plymouth, England, in 1605, and married
Dionis Stevens. A few years after coming to



Massachusetts, he became one of a party of ten
who purchased Nantucket Island from the In-
dians. The original deed is still preserved in the
family. He and his sons at one time owned one-
fourth of the whole island. He transacted much
important public business for the settlers, and
was a man of affairs. Of his numerous descend-
ants many were Quakers, among them Levi
Coffin, of Newport, Indiana, the so-called "presi-
dent of the underground railroad," and the
original "Uncle Phineas" of "Uncle Tom's Cab-
in." The number also includes two admirals of
the British navy and a number of eminent Amer-
icans, among them John G. Whittier, Lucretia
Mott and Carleton Coffin, the journalist and his-
torian of Boston.

Ezra T. Shedd was named in honor of Ezra
Twitchell, of Bethel, Oxford County, Maine, the
husband of Betsey Coffin, who was a sister of
James Coffin. In 1856 he left home and came to
Illinois, locating at Aurora, where he engaged in
mercantile business. In 1868 he removed to
Chicago, which has since been his residence and
business headquarters. During this time he has
represented several of the leading wholesale
houses of the city, and was for ten years employed
by one concern. Since 1888 he has served the
interests of Sweet, Dempster and Co., in Illinois.
He has also been successfully engaged in building
houses for sale for some years past. He was
married, in 1863, to Helen Scarritt, daughter of
the Rev. Josiah A Scarritt, of Sandwich, New
Hampshire. The lady was born at Warren, New
York, and died in Chicago, June 16, 1894, at the
age of fifty-three years. She possessed marked
literary ability and was recognized as one of the
greatest female parliamentarians of the West.
Her life was largely devoted to philanthropical
labors. She was a charter member and first vice-
president of the Philosophical Society, the nucleus
of all the literary societies of the city. She was a
charter member and at one time president of the
Woman's Club, and for many years served as
chairman of the reform committee of Ih it organ-
ization, which was largely instrumental in secur-
ing the apprehension and conviction of the noto-
rious Chicago "boodlers." Through an address



R. A. KINZIE.



355



delivered before the County Board, she secured the
appointment of the first lady physician on the staff
of the Cook County Insane Asylum. She was also
identified with the Fortnightly Club, serving re-
peatedly as its secretary, and for ten years was
president of the Physiological Society. At the
United States Woman's Congress, held at Denver
in 1889, Mrs. Shedd read a paper entitled "Wo-
man in Affairs, ' ' which attracted much attention
throughout the country. She was a charter
member of the Saracen Club, and was an inde-
fatigable worker in every field devoted to the ad-
vancement of modern progress and reform.

Mr. Shedd is liberal in religious views. He is
the first vice-president of the Sons of Maine, and
has been for years actively identified with the
Saracen Club, the Sunset Club and the Philo-
sophical Society. He has always voted with the
Republican party on State and National issues,



but is independent in municipal and judicial elec-
tions. He is a moderate protectionist, believes
in the maintenance of a stable and honest cur-
rency and an economical administration of the gov-
ernment. He is a careful student of American
history, and his far-sightedness has enabled him to
foretell many important political events. Soon
after the beginning of the Lincoln-Douglas sena-
torial campaign, he predicted that Mr. Lincoln
would be the next President of the United States,
a forecast which was received with much skepti-
cism by his associates. He also predicted the
nomination to the presidency of R. B. Hayes im-
mediately after his triumph over ' 'Bill' ' Allen in
the contest for the Ohio Governorship. Mr. Shedd
is a gentleman of genial, open character, and
enjoys the friendship of a large number of leading
citizens throughout the Northwest.



ROBERT A. KINZIE.



ROBERT ALLEN KINZIE. The history
of Rome will never be considered complete
without the story of Romulus and Remus;
the history of New England will always find its
most interesting chapter that which tells of the
Pilgrim fathers; and the history of Chicago will
always begin with the account of the Kinzies
and Whistlers. These were the earliest of the
pioneers of the settlement which has developed
into the present city of Chicago. The father
of John Kinzie, our early pioneer, was a Scotch-
man; his name was John McKenzie, and he
lived at Quebec, and, lastly, at Detroit, where
he died. The wife of this gentleman, we are told
in "Wau-bun," was Mrs. Haliburton, whose
daughter by her previous marriage was mother
of the late General Fleming and Nicholas Low,
of New York. Mr. Kinzie (the name was con-
tracted to Kinzie because of its constant mis-



pronunciation in this country) at his death left a
widow and a son, John Kinzie. The widow mar-
ried William Forsythe. John Kinzie, son of the
above John McKenzie, is said to have been born
in Quebec in the year 1763, but lost his father in
infancy. The step-father and mother removed to
New York, and, finally, to Detroit. John Kinzie
acquired some knowledge of the business of a
silversmith, which occupation he followed in
connection with his trade with the Indians. He
early entered the Indian trade and had establish-
ments at Sandusky, Maumee, and afterward
pushed west, about 1800, to St. Josephs.

He had been doing business in Detroit from
1795 to 1798. He was a grantee of lands from
the Ottawa Indians. In the year 1804 he took
up his residence, as sutler, at the post of Chicago
the first entry in his books bearing date May
12 of that year. He remained here until after



35 6



R. A. KINZIE.



the Chicago massacre, August 15, 1812, his fam-
ily escaping unharmed by the Indians on account
of the universally kind and courteous treatment
accorded to them by the Kiuzies, whose friend-
ship for the Indians had always been true and
unswerving. No more emphatic statement of the
regard of the Indians for the Kinzie family could
be made than that ' ' the Indians had not attacked
Fort Dearborn the autumn preceding the massa-
cre out of regard for one family that of Mr.
Kinzie." The years between 1812 and 1816
the latter being the date of the return of the fam-
ily to Fort Dearborn were spent in Detroit.

John Kinzie married Margaret Mackenzie, a
native of the vicinity of Pearisburgh, Virginia,
who, together with her sister, was captured by
the Indians about the time of the American Rev-
olution, when she was eight or ten years old.
Three children were born of this marriage, name-
ly: William, James and Elizabeth Kinzie. John
Kinzie and his wife afterward separated, and
each married again. Mr. Kinzie' s second wife
was Mrs. Eleanor (Lytle) McKillip, and from
this marriage are descended the subject of this
sketch and others. The oldest of these, John
Harris Kinzie, afterward Colonel Kinzie, was the
husband of Juliette A. Magill, a very elegant and
accomplished woman, who gained the reputation
of a graceful and intensely interesting writer,
which the volume, entitled " Wau-bun, the Early
Day in the Northwest," clearly proves. This
couple came to live in Chicago in 1833, and the
advertisement of John H. Kinzie, forwarding and
commission merchant, appears in the Chicago
Democrat of that year. Colonel Kinzie filled
successively the offices of Registrar of Public
Lands, Collector of Tolls of the Illinois Canal at
Chicago, and Paymaster in the United States
Army, which latter position he held at the time
of his death in 1865. He was one of the founders
of St. James Episcopal Church, and a valuable
member of the Chicago Historical Society, which
he helped to organize.

The other members of the family were: Eleanor,
who became the wife of Dr. Wolcott, of Chicago,
and after his death married George C. Bates, of
Detroit; Maria, who was the wife of that gal-



lant soldier, Gen. David Hunter, of the United
States Army; and Robert, of this sketch, the
youngest.

On his arrival in Chicago in 1804, with his
family, John Kinzie took possession of the cabin
lately occupied by L,e Mai, a French trader, who
succeeded the builder of the cabin Baptiste
Point de Sable, the first settler on the site of Chi-
cago. This historic structure stood on the north
side of the river, and has been stated to have been
one hundred feet east of the present Pine Street,
near Michigan Street, and occupied a portion of
the quarter section taken up by Mr. Kinzie,
which to-day is worth millions of dollars. Kin-
zie's occupation of silversmith, or his paying the
natives in silver, caused them to name him
Shaw-nee-aw-kee, meaning silver man, and after
his death this title descended to his son John.
The house of John Kinzie was the first hotel in
Chicago, for travelers were entertained there. It
was the scene of the first marriage, for here his
daughter, Eleanor, was wedded to Dr. Alex-
ander Wolcott, Sunday July 20, 1823. It was,
probably, the first court house in Chicago, for
Mr. Kinzie was commissioned a Justice of the
Peace December 2, 1823, and he doubtless held
court at his residence. Mrs. Eleanor Kinzie died
in 1834.

Robert A. Kinzie, son of John and Eleanor,
was born in Chicago, February 8, 1810. He was
a child two and a-half years old, but he could
remember, as he told in 1872, sixty years after
the battle of Chicago, of the family returning to
their old home again, and also the circumstance
of his father's cutting a ball from the arm of Mrs.
Heald, immediately after the massacre. After a
four years' absence the family were again at
their old home in Chicago.

The only public school education which he
seems to have received was at Detroit. He thus
describes his return, overland, from that point on
horseback: "Ten days was the distance, and, in
company with a couple of half breeds I started,
supplied with rations for the whole journey. We
were five days out, and our provisions were out
also. We ate faster than we traveled. When we
came to a stream of any ambition we had to con-



R. A. KINZIE.



357



struct a raft to cross it. Hungry and tired, we
reached Coldwater, Michigan, then known as
Nagg's Trading Post. Nagg was out of every-
thing but cake sugar, and so we stayed our
stomachs with that, and would doubtless have
died of surfeit of sweetness, but for the fact that
one of the Indian boys shot twenty-three pigeons.
We ate all at one meal, and reached Chicago
heaven knows how."

In 1825 Mr. Kinzie was sent to Prairie du Chien,
where he took a position as clerk in the post
agency, then conducted by Dousman. John Kin-
zie, then head clerk, later became agent, and
Robert Kinzie succeeded to his place. The latter
returned to Chicago in 1827 and in the following
year went to Detroit. Returning, he was em-
ployed by Captain Leonard, sutler at Fort Win-
nebago, where he remained six months, but was
recalled to Chicago by the death of a sister. From
1825 to 1840 he remained mostly here, including
several years in trade at Wolf Point. Early in
the year 1832 he erected a store, which was the
first frame building in Chicago, except one that
is, the Government structure built by William
Caldwell. Mr. Kinzie sent to Du Page for car-
penters to build it, and the builders were two old
deacons.

Mr. Kinzie became a member of the firm of
Kinzie, Davis & Hyde in the year 1835. They
were dealers in hardware. In 1840 he moved to
a farm at Walnut Grove, Illinois, where he re-
mained three years. In 1845 he was at Des
Moines, and thence went beyond the Missouri
River to trade with the Indians. He was located
at Uniontown, on the Pottawattomie reservation,
and later at what is now Greenwood, on the res-
ervation of the Sacs and Foxes. He and his broth-
er-in-law both owned farms, upon which they
laid out the town of Burlington, Kansas, named
in^ honor of the birthplace of the subsequent
proprietors of that town. In May, 1861, he was
appointed Paymaster in the army, with the rank
of Major, and remained in the service until the
time of his death, December 13, 1873. From
1861 to 1864 he was in Washington, District of
Columbia; from 1864 to 1868 in Santa Fe, New
Mexico; and was then ordered to Chicago, where



he was Paymaster on General Sheridan's staff.
Major Kinzie was a very powerful as well as
active man. His death, caused by heart disease,
was very sudden. He breathed his last at his
residence on Thirty-fifth Street, Chicago. It may
be truly said of him that he was a man of sterling
character and honesty. While his life presented
no brilliant succession of great achievements, he
deserves a testimonial to his honesty and fidelity
in the performance of his duties as a citizen and
public officer.

In 1834 Mr. Kinzie married the beautiful and
accomplished daughter of Col. William Whistler,
an early pioneer, who saw placed or laid the first
palisades and timbers of Fort Dearborn. Her
grandfather, Captain John (afterward Major)
Whistler, the builder and commandant of the first
Fort Dearborn, was an officer in the Revolution-
ary Army. From the time of its construction until
1811 he was in command of the post of Chicago,
but left a year before the massacre. He died at
Bellefontaine, Missouri, in 1817.

William, son of Major John Whistler, was
born in Hagerstown, Maryland, about 1784, and
at the time of his marriage (in May, 1802) was
a Second-Lieutenant in his father's company,
then stationed at Detroit. The maiden name
of his wife was Julia Person. She was born
in Salem, Massachusetts, July 3, 1787, and her
parents were John and Mary (La Duke) Person.
In childhood she removed with her parents to
Detroit, where she met her future husband. In
the summer of 1803 Capt. John Whistler, Mrs.
Whistler, their son George W. (then three years
old) , Lieutenant Whistler and his wife came to
Fort Dearborn. After five years' sojourn here,
Lieutenant Whistler was transferred to Fort
Wayne, having previously been made a First
Lieutenant. He distinguished himself at the
battle of Maguago, Michigan, August 9, 1812,
was in Detroit at Hull's surrender, and with Mrs.
Whistler, was taken prisoner to Montreal; was
promoted to Captain, December, 1812, to Major
in 1826, and Lieutenant- Colonel in 1845. He
died in Newport, Kentucky, December 4, 1863,
having rendered sixty -two years' continuous ser-
vice in the army. In the fall of 1875 Mrs. Whis-



358



R. A. KINZIE.



tier visited her daughter, Mrs. R. A. Kinzie, in
Chicago. Surrounded by her children, grand-
children and great-grandchildren, she was found
in good health and in the full possession of her
faculties, both intellectual and physical, though
over eighty-eight years old. Her appearance in-
dicated that she had been a woman of tall form,
and verified the truth of the common report that
in her earlier years she had been a person of sur-
passing elegance. She died at her home in New-
port, Kentucky, at the age of ninety-six years.

The fifth child of Colonel and Mrs. Whistler
was born at Green Bay, July 20, 1818, and given
the name of Gwinthlean Harriet. In 1832 Lieu-
tenant (now Captain) Whistler was again sta-
tioned at Fort Dearborn, and here his daughter
met and married Robert Allen Kinzie, the nour-
ishing, and, indeed, the only merchant at that
time in Chicago. Mrs. Kinzie died on the gth of
September, 1894, while on a visit at the home of
her son in Omaha. At the time of her death she was
the oldest resident of Chicago, except Alexander
Beaubien, whose biography will be found on
another page of this volume. Miss Eliza Allen
Starr, in speaking of her, says she was "of a
majestic height and carriage, classical head and
features; the expression charming and ingenuous;
her soul never losing its enthusiasm and her gen-
erosity bounded only by her means. ' ' She was
spoken of as the "Beautiful Gwinthlean," and to
their mansion Mr. Kinzie and his charming wife
called around them the choicest and best of Chi-
cago's society, which numbered among its mem-
bers many enterprising young scions from the
most highly educated families of the East. At
the time of her death nine of Mrs. Kinzie's chil-
dren were still living.

Gwinthlean, the eldest of these, is now the
wife of Dr. William Manson, of Burlington, Kan-
sas; Maria is the wife of Gen. George H. Stewart,
who was a distinguished officer in the Confederate
Army, and is at present a resident of Colorado
Springs, Colorado; Maj. David H. Kinzie, of the
United States Army, educated at West Point,
is stationed at the Presidio, San Francisco,
California; Julia Whistler is the widow of the late
William B. Parsons, whose biography appears



elsewhere in this volume; Marian, now the wife
of John Sneden, resides with him in Algiers,
Africa; Capt. John Kinzie, of the Second Infantry,
United States Army, stationed at Fort Omaha,
was appointed Second Lieutenant by President
Grant in 1872.

Frank X. Kinzie, born in Chicago on the 4th
of April, 1854, was educated at Barre, Vermont,
and in the public schools of Chicago. He was in
the office of his father at Chicago for a time, and
in 1876 was appointed Second Lieutenant by
General Grant and assigned to the Twentieth
United States Infantry. He joined his command
at Fort Pembina, Dakota, and spent four years on
the western frontier. He was second in command
of the Gatling battery in the expedition against
the Sioux in 1876, and was within a day's march
(fifteen miles) of the fatal field where the massa-
cre of Custer and his command took place. At
the close of that campaign he married Miss Julia
F. Mallory, daughter of the late Herbert E. Mai-
lory and his wife, Lucy (Wakefield) Mallory.
He resigned his command January i, 1879, after
having spent some time on the Texas frontier.
The following twelve years he was with the firm
of Mallory & Brother. He has six children,
namely: Claude F., Percy, Earle D., Homer B.,
Harold and Frank X., junior.

Walter Henry Kinzie, born March 16, 1857, at
Burlington, Kansas, then a frontier town in the
Indian country, received his education in the
public schools, at the College of Notre Dame,
South Bend, Indiana, and the Jesuit College of
Chicago. At the age of eighteen he was ap-
pointed to a place in the Water Department of
Chicago, and subsequently entered the employ of
B. F. StauSer, a prominent Board of Trade oper-
ator. In 1882 he was with H. E. Mallory &
Brother, and later with Martin Brothers, stock
commission merchants. Since 1885 he has been
in the office of the Union Stock Yards & Transit
Company. On the 24th of January, 1885, he
married Miss Fanny Kintz, daughter of Stephen
Kintz, an early settler of Ottawa, Illinois, and
now a resident of Chicago. Miss Nellie D. Kin-
zie resides with her brother at Fort Omaha.



W. C. MAGILL.



359



WILLIAM C MAGILL.



fi>6)lLLIAM CHARLES MAGILL, a busi-
\ A I ness man of Chicago, residing at Evanston,
Y V was born in Buffalo, New York, June 14,
1850. He is a son of Charles J. and Esther S.
Magill, extended notice of whom appears on an-
other page of this work.

William C. Magill was about four years old
when the family came to Chicago. His primary
education was obtained at the Skinner School of
this city, and he afterward took a course at Im-
manuel Hall, a military school at Ravenswood,
now a part of Chicago. Leaving school at the
age of seventeen years, he entered his father's
office as clerk and cashier. The name of the firm
at that time was Magill & Latham, but it after-
ward became Magill & Hall. He was subse-
quently connected with other commission houses,
dealing "on change," and in April, 1874, became
the representative on the Board of Trade of the
insurance firm of George C. Clark & Company.
He continued to be the solicitor and manager of
the marine department of this concern for some
years. As his time was not all occupied in this
manner, he began to devote a portion of his at-
tention to fire insurance. Since 1880 he has
given almost exclusive attention to fire under-
writing, being successively a member of the firms
of Magill & Nichols, George W. Montgomery &
Company and Magill & Chamberlain. The last-
mentioned firm, which was organized October i,
1889, is one of the leading concerns among the



many engaged in that line of business on La Salle
Street.

On the i2th of November, 1873, Mr. Magill
was married to Mary C. Montgomery, daughter
of Robert Montgomery, a prominent shipper and
vessel-owner of Buffalo, New York. Of the six
children born to Mr. and Mrs. Magill, Robert, the
eldest, is a clerk in his father's office, and the
names of the others are: Esther, Irving, Laura,
Marion and Eunice. The members of this fam-
ily are regular communicants of St. Mark's Epis-
copal Church at Evanston, which suburb has been
their home since 1874.

Mr. Magill is prominently identified with the
Masonic order, holding membership with Evans
Lodge, Evanston Commandery and Oriental Con-
sistory. At different times he has been associated
with several other social and fraternal organiza-
tions, but is not now in affiliation with any. A
life-long adherent of the Republican party, he
has never been a seeker for public patronage. In
deference to the wishes of his friends, he served
for four years as a Trustee of the village of Evans-
ton, but has peremptorily declined to accept the
office of Alderman since the incorporation of that
place as a city. His career has been one of ac-
tivity and enterprise, and he is accustomed to dis-
patch business with readiness and decision. All
who have occasion to call upon Mr. Magill in re-
lation to business or social matters are certain to
receive just and considerate attention.



360



M. W. HAYNES.



REV. MYRON W. HAYNES, D. D.



REV. MYRON WILBUR HAYNES, D. D.,
pastor of the Englewood Baptist Church of
Chicago, was born in Lunenburg, Massa-
chusetts, on the ist of January, 1855, and is a
son of Elnathan and Sarah (Wheeler) Haynes,
who were natives of the same State. The pa-
ternal grandfather was also born in Massachusetts,
and was of English descent. The father of Dr.
Haynes was a farmer, and died in the Bay State
when Myron was a child of eight years. The
mother, who is still living, is now the widow of L.
Holt, and makes her home in Ayer, Massachu-
setts. To Mr. and Mrs. Haynes were born nine
children, six sons and three daughters, namely:
Alfred, deceased; Rev. Edwin M. , D. D., a min-



Online LibraryIll.) La Salle Book Company (ChicagoAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1899) → online text (page 54 of 110)