I B RAR.Y
The person charging this material is re-
sponsible for its return to the library from
which it was withdrawn on or before the
Latest Date stamped below.
Theft, mutilation, and underlining of books are reasons
for disciplinary action and may result in dismissal from
To renew call Telephone Center, 333-8400
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS LIBRARY AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
; m 3 (T19J1 "
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION
AN HISTORICAL SKETCH
Compiled from the Famous "Kircfaengeschichte Quincy's." by
Father Brnener, urn well as from Original Documents, in
the Form of Entries in the Church Records,
Minutes of Various Societies, News-
paper Clippings, Etc.
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS LIBRARY
JUL I 91922
JOST & KIEFER PRINTING COMPANY,
POPE PIUS X.
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION
To those sturdy German settlers,
Founders of St. Boniface,
Do we dedicate this booklet,
cv2 We, who now are in their place. .
They were giants in their labors,
Men who knew no idle fear,
Men who plodded ever onward,
A2 'Till the far-off goal was near.
Most of them have since departed
To the realms of peace and rest,
But their deeds are still before us,
Urging us fco do our best.
Urging us to work as they did,
God to serve, our soul to save,
Bidding us to ne'er grow weary,
Till we rest beyond the grave.
They have erred at times, most sadly,
Erred, as mortals all may err,
Let us profit by their failings,
That they never may recur.
But their faults are like the shadow,
Cast about by every light,
Cast most deeply where its splendor,
Sheds itself with greatest might.
Lights and shadows are reflected
In the pages offered here,
Let the shadows only render
Every highlight doubly clear!
Looking o'er this booklet's pages
You may scent some "midnight oil,"
And we can not help confess it,
'Tis the fruit of endless toil.
In our labors we were aided
By the help of many friends,
And to them belongs a portion
Of the glory which it spends.
Now to critics of this booklet,
Who perhaps don't like its looks,
Or its contents, let us answer,
With the famous bard, "Mike Fuche":
"Wer's Buch gleiche dut, soil's lese,
Wen es jucke dut, soil lache,
Wer's nicht gleiche dut, soil's eenfach
Liege lasse und soil's besser mache!"
RT. REV. JAMES RYAN, D. D., Bishop of AKon.
Horn 17th, 1S48: ordained Priest Dec. 24, 1871 ; consecrated Third Bishop of Alton 1888
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION
Diamond Jubilee Celebration.
St. Boniface Congregation, Quiucy. 111.
Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 13, 14
and 15, 1912.
Sunday, October 13th.
6:00 A.M. First Mass and General Communion for all the Members
of the Parish.
8:00 A.M. Second Mass with English Sermon, and General Com-
munion as above.
10:00 A.M. Solemn Pontifical High Mass, with Rt. Rev. John Janssen,
Bishop of Belleville and former Pastor of St. Boniface,
as Celebrant; with Sermon by Rev. Timothy Magnien,
O. F. M., of St. Francis Solanus College.
3:00 P.M. Solemn Vespers and Benediction.
8:00 P.M. Grand Entertainment in the School Hall by the Various
Organizations of the Parish.
Monday, October 14th (Children's Day).
7:30 A.M. Low Masis and Rosary Devotion.
9:00 A.M. Solemn High Mass, with Singing by the Children's Choir.
10:00 A.M. Games and Contests for the Children in the Course of
which Refreshments will be served.
1:00 P.M. Trolley Party for the Children.
7:45 P.M. Spectacular Entertainment by the Children in the School
Tuesday, October 15th.
7:30 A.M. Low Mass and Rosary Devotion as on the Day before.
9:00 A.M. Solemn Requiem Mass for the Deceased of the Parish.
6:00 P.M. Complimentary Dinner for all Adults of the Parish,
served in three Relays.
8:00 P.M. Grand Pyrotechnical Display in the School Yard, under
the expert Management of Messrs. Fred Wessels, John
Myers and John Rummenie, during which the Columbia
Concert Band will furnish Music.
Sunday, Evening, Oct. 13th.
Grand Entertainment by the Various Organizations of the Parish
1. Selection from "The Prince of Pilsen" Luders
a. "Festival Song" Walter
b. "Moonlight will Come Again" Thompson
St. Boniface Choir.
3. Comedietta in One Act: "A Game of Cards."
Columbia Dramatic Club
Cast of Characters.
Baron Von Nix John A. Ohnemus
Gustav, His Son Frank Hellmer
Mr. Geldmann, a Retired Merchant Will Hellhake
Rosa, His Daughter Miss Rose Weltin
The action of the play takes place in Berlin, in the parlor of Mr.
4. Overture "Ni-phrata" Hazel
5. Spectacular Drill "The Revel of the Naiads"
Given under the direction of Mrs. Louis A. LaVoie by the fol-
lowing representatives of the Young Ladies' Sodality:
Miss Margaret Freiburg, Miss Sylvia Ording,
Miss Florence Heidemann, Miss Genevieve Granacher,
Miss Agnes Wolf, Miss Florence Wiskirchen,
Miss Irma Triebel, Miss Bessie Dean.
Miss Leona Vandenboom.
Accompanied by Miss Coletta Jochem, Piano. Messrs. Paul and
Richard Huck, Violin.
6. Monologue "Reminiscences of Uncle Rube". . Joseph J. Fischer
7. Reverie "The Protecting Spirits of St. Boniface."
At the sound of distant chimes, Memory, asleep in her bower,
awakes and recalls the past of the St. Boniface Parish, referring to
the Protecting Spirits sent by God to guide its destinies from the day
of its Foundation in 1837 to its Diamond Jubilee in 1912. The scene
is changed and reveals these Heavenly Spirits watching over various
groups of their charges, representative of the children, the young men,
the young ladies, the married men and the married ladies respectively,
and commenting on their protecting influence exercised over those com-
mitted to their care.
Cast of Characters.
Memory Miss Ada Freiburg
Angel of the Children Miss Helen Kaessen
Angel of the Young Men Miss Genevieve Kohl
Angel of the Young Ladies Miss Mildred Timmerwilke
Angel of the Married Men Miss Augusta Heidemann
Angel of the Married Ladies Miss Edith Hilgenbrink
Angel of 1837 Miss Emma Schwendemann
Angel of 1912 Miss Helen Koch
8. March "The Stars and Stripes Forever" Souea
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION
Monday Evening, Oct. 14th.
Spectacular Entertainment by the Children.
Mn*ir by the Columbia Oreheatra. Piano Accompaniment
by Misa Dorothy Rehm.
1. March "The Officer of the Day" Hall
2. Chorus "Willkommen" Grade VI.
3. Recitation "Spruch der Kleinen" Grade I.
4. Waltz "My Beautiful Lady" Caryil
5. Drill "Fairies from Diamond Land" Grades II. and III.
6. Chorus: "Again I Hear My Mother Sing" . . Grades VII. and VIII.
7. Barcarolle from "Tales of Hoffmann"
8. Drill "Hidden Gems" Grades IV. and V.
9. Waltz "Evening Star" Moses-Tobani
10. Playlet in Two Acts "The Wrong Box". .Grades VII. and VIII.
Alethea Roberts, student at Madam Primly's Seminary, receives a
message from home that a box is being sent to her, containing her
winter outfit and some "goodies." Word is passed around among the
girls to gather in her room, No. 12, top dormitory, for a feast and
general skylark after 'the lights are out at 10 P. M. Sara, the maid, is in
league and sympathy with the girls. When the box arrives Madam is
out, so the treat is smuggled into Alethea's room and she promises not
to open the box until the clan has gathered at 10 P. M,
Cast of Characters.
Madam Primly Marie Jansen
Alethea Roberts Odelia Freiburg
Julia Cavandish Hortense Kohl
Harriet Rankin Mary Timpe
Vera Garland Edith Boesing
Grace Monroe Verna Koetters
Maude Farner Regina Weisenhorn
Louise Johnson Florence Zang
Rhoda Remington Julia Seifert
Ruby Figgen Margaret Musholt
Marion Woods Magdalen Jansen
Mildred Fox Florence Thiemann
Pearl Winters Ruth Dehner
Sara O'Brien Helen Benning
( a. March "The Bell Boy" Ashton
11 \ b. Selection "Meet Me Where the Lanterns Glow" Klein
12. Recitation "The Thank You Band" Grades IV. and V.
13. March "Hands Across the Sea" Sousa
GOVERNOR JOHN WOOD, the Founder of Quinoy.
Born Dec. 20th, 1798; settled on present site of Quincy 1821; became State Senator in
1850, lieutenant-Governor in 1856, Governor in 1859. I,eft with a regiment for the seat of
war in 1864, after having fought already in the Black Hawk War of 1832. Died June 4. 1880.
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION
St. Boniface Congregation, Quincy, 111.
From Its Founding in 1837 Until Its Diamond
Jubilee in 1912.
The first permanent settlement on the present site of Quincy
was made by John Wood in the year 1821, when he came to take
possession of the lands allotted to him for his services in the war
of 1812. Little did he dream at the time that he was laying the
foundation of a great and prosperous city, a city of many
flourishing industries, a city of commercial enterprise, a
Gibraltar in the world of finance, a vast domain of parks and
gardens, a realm of beautiful homes, a center of efficient schools
and colleges, the seat of magnificent churches and charitable
institutions, the Gem City of the West. It was named after
Quincy Adams, then president of the United States, from whom
also the county in-which it is situated derives its name. In 182G
was built the first court house, a two-story log cabin measuring
18x22 feet. In 1829 Michael Mast (born 1797, died 1852) the
first German Catholic settler, arrived in Quincy, and in 1834 we
find him among the trustees who signed the application for the
incorporation of their settlement, consisting of about 600 souls
living mainly along the river front and around the site now occu-
pied by Washington Park.
Soon other Catholics began to arrive, and in 1833 their num-
ber was sufficient to warrant the zealous Father Peter Paul
Lefevre (born 1804, died 1869) in charge of the Catholic settle-
ments of Missouri, Illinois and Iowa, also to come to Quincy to
provide for the spiritual wants of its people. This indefatigable
missionary, later Bishop of Detroit, was most likely the first
Catholic priest to set foot in our city, and the First Mass was said
in the home of Adam Schmitt, which stood on the site now oc-
cupied by Klene's cigar store, 127 S. 4th St. In 1834 the Catho-
lics of Quincy, then under the jurisdiction of Bishop Rosati of St.
Louis, made application for a resident priest, but their request
could not be granted. In 1836 the Catholic population had
grown to 40 or 50 families, who held a meeting at which they
appointed five "trustees" to raise funds for the purpose of build-
ing a church. On June 12th, 1837, Father John Irenaeus St. Cyr
was ordered by Bishop Rosati to leave his mission at Chicago
and take up his residence at Quincy and assume charge of the
entire surrounding district; but whilst he was stopping over at
St. Louis, there arrived from Hanover, Germany, Father August
Florentius Brickwedde, who placed himself at the disposal of the
bishop with the result, that the jurisdiction of the former was
limited to the English speaking Catholics of that territory with
the city of St. Augustine, then in Fulton county, as its center,
whilst the latter was to provide for the German element and take
up his headquarters in Quincy. And so it comes that Father
Brickwedde must be regarded as the first resident priest of the
Gem City and the first pastor of the oldest German Catholic
parish along the entire Mississippi River.
ACTIVITIES OF FATHER BRICKWEDDE.
The Founder oi St. Boniface.
Aug. 15th, 1837 March 16th, 1849.
The first entry of Father Brickwedde in the parish records is
dated August 15th, 1837, but it is probable that he arrived in
Quincy about a week before. He took up his residence with
Adam Schmitt, already mentioned under Father Lefevre, who
had just moved his residence from Fourth street to the north-
west corner of Eleventh and Broadway (retaining only his car-
penter shop in a rear building at the old place), and the second
story of this new house was converted into a chapel
which was dedicated August 15th, under the title of the
"Ascension of Christ," and this district became very
appropriately known as "Bethlehem." This chapel was soon
found to be too small, and in his first account to the bishop,
dated Jan. 2nd, 1838, Father Brickwedde speaks of building
a new church, for which a site had already been donated by John
Wood, located on Seventh, between York and Kentucky and
opposite the present St. John's Lutheran church. However the
parish was still too poor for such an undertaking, and so our
good pastor out of his own means builds a frame structure 18x28
feet, just north of the property in question, which is dedicated on
Pentecost, 1838, and is the first Catholic church in Quincy. To
the rear of this "church" he added several small rooms which
Pioneers of Quincy.
Daniel M ,<>il
Son of Governor John M^ood
The First White Child Born in Quincy,
Mrs. Louisa Schroer
Mother of Duke Schroer, City Clerk
The First German Catholic Born in Quincy,
March 21st, 1835.
Cwple Married at^t$omface Church
Born Aug. 4, 1819. Died March 5, 1903. Born May 11, 1811. Died Jan. 28. 1891.
Married Jail. 22, 1S3S. Celebrated Golden Wedding Jan. 22, 1888.
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION U
were utilized for school and parsonage. The hill upon which this
building stood was popularly known as "Mt. Olivet."
In September of the same year Father Brickwedde enter-
tains an interesting visitor in the person of Father Benjamin
Mary Petit (born April 8th, 1811, died Feb. 10th, 1839), who,
with 800 Pottawatomie Indians (mostly Catholics) ordered by
the government to leave their homes around South Bend, In-
diana, and settle west of the Mississippi River, stops over at
Quincy, where his charges are royally entertained and edify their
hosts by their good Christian behavior.
On April 22nd, 1839, our pioneer pastor publishes his second
annual account, which is the first one still extant, and in which
he states that the number of German Catholics at Quincy is 241,
to about 50 only of English tongue, that his school is attended by
14 boys and 10 girls, that he attends an outside mission on
Sugar Creek, Lee county, Iowa, of 62 German Catholics, who
have offered to give six acres of good ground for a church and
parsonage and are very anxious to have a resident priest ; also
that in Quincy a site 100x100 feet on Eighth and Maine streets
has been donated by a certain Mr. Widney for a new brick
church, and that $90.00 are on hand to begin to build. But it had
been otherwise decreed; for when in May of the same year
Father Tucker succeeded Father St. Cyr on account of failing
health and took up his residence in Quincy, the property donated
by Mr. Widney was placed at his disposal for a church for the
English speaking Catholics, and the Germans were without a
site. True it is a place had been donated in 1838 by John Wood,
as stated above, but because it was in such close proximity to
the Lutheran church, and also because a more centrally located
spot was desirable, this property, with the consent of its donor,
had been sold the same year. On June 17th, 1839, however, a
new piece of ground was bought of Archibald and Robert Wil-
liams, located in lot 8 of Wheelock's Addition, block No. 6, be-
ginning 40 feet south of the northeast corner of that lot, then
extending 40 feet south on Seventh street, then 90 feet west,
then 40 feet north, then 90 feet east to the point of start. To this
was added, Aug. 21st, 1841, another strip of 8 feet front with 90
feet depth immediately south, the two pieces together compris-
ing the site now occupied by the sanctuary and sacristies. In
the deed conveying this property, which was not drawn up until
Feb. 20th, 1846, there is inserted a clause to the effect that the
12 DIAMOND JUBILEE
same shall be used exclusively for the German Catholic Congre-
gation of Quincy.
Early in 1839 Father Tucker began to build his church.
Soon after Father Brickwedde followed, and already before the
summer was over, the walls of the new structure were completed.
Most of the brick had been donated; likewise the greater part
of the labor. When lack of funds and the lateness of the season
compelled a discontinuance of the work, Father Brickwedde set
out on a collection tour through the South, going as far as New
Orleans, where he obtained, among other things, an old steam-
boat bell for his church, and the absence of entries in the
church records from Nov. 20th until March 18th may serve to
indicate the time and extent of his trip. The result was very sat-
isfactory, and after his return the work was resumed with new
zeal, under the supervision of the pastor himself. The church
was completed that same year; but when it was dedicated, if
dedicated at all, can not be ascertained. It stood with its front
on Seventh street, and measured about 60x32 feet. The tower,
through which passed the main entrance in front of the church,
was never completed, because it was soon realized that eventu-
ally a still larger church would have to be built. Three large
Romanesque windows graced each side of the building, whilst a
Gothic window was conspicuous above the portal in the tower.
To the rear of this church a large sacristy was built of frame,
which also served as school.
About the same time that the new brick church was com-
pleted, the work on the new parsonage, which Father Brick-
wedde was building of his own resources, was coming to a close.
This parsonage, a two-story brick structure of very small dimen-
sions, was situated on the property likewise belonging to the
pastor himself and beginning 5 feet west of the south-east corner
of lot 7, block 6, of Wheelock's Addition on the north side of
Maine street, extending north 100 feet, then west 5 feet, then
north 88 feet to the alley, then west 20 feet, then south 188 feet,
then east 25 feet to the starting point. Lot and house were later
(March llth, 1851) conveyed for $700 to Bishop Van de Velde
of Chicago, at that time exercising jurisdiction over Quincy.
In 1841 the first Catholic cemetery, located between Eight-
eenth and Twentieth streets and Maine and Hampshire streets,
with 100 feet front on the latter, was bought of Thomas and
Mary Redmond for $400.00, though a deed for the transfer was
Oldest Living Member of St. Boniface.
Mrs. Paiitaleon Sohm, nee Rosina Specht.
Bom June 5th, 1825, at Forchheim. Baden ; arrived in Quiiicy July, 1834.
Married by Father Brickwedde Aug. 10, 1840 ; mother of Edward, Sr,, and John
Sohm, of this city. Has 11 living grand and 7 great grand-children.
_ ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION 13
not drawn up, likely on account of lack of ready cash, until
Aug. 7th, 1849, and recorded Aug. 29th.
In 1842 Rt. Rev. Peter Richard Kenrick, consecrated co-
adjutor bishop of St. Louis, Nov. 30th of the previous year,
comes to Quincy to administer, for the first time in its history,
the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Realizing, even before its completion, that the new church
would soon be too small for the rapidly rising congregation,
Father Brickwedde was awaiting his opportunity to acquire
more extensive property, and on July 26th, 1843, he bought of a
certain Andrew Johnston for $500.00 another part of lot 8, be-
ginning at its southeast corner, then running west 80 feet on
the north side of Maine street, then north 100 feet, as far as the
site already owned by the church, then east 80 feet then south
100 feet to the point of start, which is the ground whereon stands
the present church with the exception of the sanctuary and the
sacristies. On May 14th of the same year was convened the
First Plenary Council of Baltimore, and as it was expected that,
at the request of the assembled bishops, the State of Illinois
would be taken from the joint jurisdiction of St. Louis and
Vincennes and erected into a separate diocese, the title to this
property was in the meantime secured by a bond, and it was
only on Aug. 6th, 1844, that a deed for the same was drawn up
in the name of Rt. Rev. Wm. Quarter, who on May 10th of that
year had been consecrated bishop of the new see with head-
quarters at Chicago.
In April, 1845, was organized the "St. Boniface Benevolent
Society," which is the oldest society of the parish on record,
though it is very probable that St. Elizabeth Ladies' Society ex-
isted already five years prior. The first election of officers held
on May 4th, resulted as follows : G. Joseph Laage, Pres. ; Joseph
Brockschmidt, Vice-Pres. ; Anton Lampe, Secretary, and Ber-
nard Koch, Treasurer.
About this same time was engaged in the person of Ferdi-
nand Cramer, the first lay teacher to take charge of the parochial
school, Father Brickwedde himself having conducted the school
until that time ; though it is claimed by some that a certain Mr.
Gessner held class as early as 1842. Mr. Cramer held the posi-
tion until 1849 when a certain Mr. Thiele succeeds him.
In May, 1845, we find our zealous pastor setting out on an-
other collection trip, this time crossing the Atlantic and passing
14 DIAMOND JUBILEE
through Amsterdam, Osnabrueck, Muenster, Cologne, Aix-La-
Chapelle, Koblenz, Mayence, Mannheim, Stuttgart, Ulm, Augs-
burg, Munich, Eichstaedt, Ratisbon, Vienna, and Lyons. He
returned in February, 1846, well satisfied with the result of his
canvass, and bringing with him as donations not only money,
but also various articles, such as vestments, a small organ,
(played first by Thomas Kamp, organist of the church April
12th, 1846-Feb. 2nd, 1848) and last, but not least the beautiful
oil-painting representing the Saviour of the World, afterwards
placed over the main altar of the church and now seen above the
entrance to the baptistry.
On Nov. 4th of this year a deed was drawn up in the name
of Bishop Quarter through which the parish acquired another
piece of property located in lot 7 block 6 of Wheelock's Addition,
and beginning with the south-east corner of lot 7, then running
west 5 feet, then north 100 feet, then east 5 feet, then south 100
feet to the point of start, which narrow strip now joined the
property of Father Brickwedde to that of the church. It was
bought from the same Andrew Johnston, executor for Robert
Williams, for a consideration of $50.00.
In the fall of that same year preparations were already begun
for building a new brick church which would be large enough
for all times to come and was to measure 100x64 feet, with front
on Maine street. Father Brickwedde was the architect, and
every member of the parish was to help along with contributions
of either money or days of work, of which until May 1848, as
many as 1,758 had been subscribed. By the end of January 1847,
201 loads of sand had been hauled to the site. An agreement was
reached with John Adell, proprietor of a brick-yard, in virtue of
which, for the consideration of $50.00, he was to allow the use of
all his implements for the manufacture of 200,000 bricks, the
hauling to be paid at the rate of $1.25 a day. The total expense
for these bricks was therefore about 41 cents per thousand, the
others, which had to be bought, involving an outlay of $3.00 per
thousand. Stone was purchased at the rate of 31-40 cents per
square foot. Actual building was begun either late that winter
or early next spring, and on May 26th, 1847, the corner-stone
was laid by Bishop Quarter, who also preached the sermon for
the occasion, choosing for his subject the Sacrifice of Mass.
About this time was organized St. Philomena's Young La-
dies' Society, as is evidenced by an old moth-eaten banner, ac-
The Home of Governor Wood.
Built in 1835 on the northwest corner of Twelfth and State streets, from where it was
moved by the Quincy Historical Society, to its present site, on the east side of Twelfth, be-
tween State and Ohio streets, and is now known as the "Quincy Historical Building-."
The " Ki i\v ii inu House"
St. Boniface School in the Rear.
Erected by Orville H. Browning about the year 1S45. Headquarters of
Abraham l,incoln Oct. 13, 1858, the day of the famous debate with Doug-las.
Sold to St. Boniface Congregation Feb. 1, 1873. Destroyed by fire Jan. 1, 1904
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION 15
cidentally discovered by Father Bruener, bearing the inscrip-
tion: "St. Philomena's Jungfrauenverein, gegruendet 1847." But