in use, and which is valued at $100.00.
In 1893 we find the first red-letter day under date of April
4th, which was the 25th anniversary of Father Weis' ordination
to the priesthood and was fittingly celebrated by his parish-
ioners. At 9 o'clock there was a Solemn High Mass, celebrated
by the Rev. Jubilarian assisted by Fathers Foerster and Niebling,
with sermon by Father Arsenius Fahle, O. F. M., of St. Francis
Monastery. In the evening a reception was held in the school
hall during which the children rendered a very appropriate
program which was much enjoyed by the pastor.. As a slight
token of esteem from his parishioners, a purse of $400.00 had
been raised which was presented during the course of the even-
ing, and which was generously donated back to the church in
the form of an imported solid silver monstrance which is now
used for Benediction with the Blessed Sacrament on special oc-
casions. This artistic creation in beautiful Romanesque style, is
surmounted by a crucifixion group. Around the opening for the
lunula are twelve medallions of oxidized silver representing the
twelve apostles, with four others at the extremities containing
the emblems of the four evangelists, whilst at the foot are four
similar but larger representations of the Sacred Heart of Jesus,
the Madonna with Child, St. Joseph and St. Boniface. The
whole is beautifully studded with 4 large crystals, 8 topazes,
16 amethysts and 60 corals, whilst enamelled bands around the
center bear this inscription taken from a hymn for the Feast of
"Se nascens dedit socium
Convescens in edulium
Se moriens in pretium
Se regnans dat in praemium"
Interior of St. Boniface Church
___ ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION 55
"In birth, man's fellow-man was He;
His Meat while sitting at the board ;
He died, his Ransomer to be
He reigns, to be his great Reward."
Other valuable gifts were also presented to Father Weis
on the occasion of his Jubilee, not least amongst them being a
handsome silver clock, which was sent by the children of St.
In June the need of repairs in and about the parsonage was
felt again, and though the work was carefully done (by Schul-
lian & Reid for $240.33), it became more evident from day to
day that a new parochial residence would have to be erected
In a meeting of the church board on August 13th, it was
decided to install a steam heating plant for the church and par-
sonage, and M,r. F. Tubesing was employed to furnish plans and
specifications, whilst a committee was empowered to advertise
for bids thereon. On September 19th this committee reported
that the firms of Schullian & Reid and the J. B. Boyd Plumbing
Co. were the lowest bidders, the former offering to build the
boiler-house and appurtenances for $850.00, the latter agreeing
to install the heating apparatus itself for $1325.00. The con -
tracts were at once awarded, and before the end of the year the
work had been completed. However, as there were several
minor details that were not satisfactory, the work was not
formally accepted until April 19th of the following year, when
a two-year guaranty was given by the architect and the balance
of the contract price was paid.
On September 13th, 1893, Father August Gorris arrived as
assistant to take the place of Father Schonlau, and through his
pleasant affable ways he soon became a prime favorite with
young and old alike.
As a Christmas present to the church the Ladies Society do-
nated a set of beautiful gold brocaded vestments, which were
furnished by F. J. Casarell of Crefeld and cost $550.00.
On June 14th, 1894, at a special meeting of the trustees and
directors of the church, it was reported that Mr. Hackett, a
painter from Chicago, who was just at work in some other
church of the city, had offered to retouch and embellish St. Boni-
face, which had acquired considerable dirt, for the sum of $950 ;
56 DIAMOND JUBILEE
also that an estimate for repainting the outer wood-work of the
church and school had been obtained at $347.00. Contracts were
awarded for both. Other important items of expense this year
were $390.00 for a piano for the school hall, which after many
years of service is still one of the finest instruments in the city ;
$65.00 for a small organ to be used for school and choir practice ;
$105.00 for laying of the sewer in the alley between Seventh and
Eighth and Maine and Hampshire streets.
On July 22nd of this year the second annual convention of
the State Federation of German Catholic Societies ("Vereins-
bund") which had been organized at Peoria, July 9th, 1893, was
opened at St. Boniface. The delegates, who arrived in Quincy
already Saturday night, took up their headquarters at the Tre-
mont House, whence on Sunday morning at 9 o'clock, they
marched in a body to St. Boniface Hall which had been taste-
fully decorated in American and Papal colors. The delegates
were called to order by Wm. F. Heckenkamp, Sr., the president
of the day who introduced State President Scherer of Peoria,
and afterwards Mayor John P. Mikesell of Quincy, who paid a
warm tribute to fraternal societies and bade the delegates a
hearty welcome to our city. At 9 :45 all marched to church
where Pontifical High Mass was celebrated by Bishop Ryan,
with Father Nich. Leonard, O. F. M., rector of St.Francis College
as assistant priest, Father Hagen, chancellor of the Belleville
diocese and Father Kerr of the local St. Peter's Church as deacons
and sub-deacons of honor, Father Weis the pastor of St. Boni-
face and Father Samuel Macke, O. F. M., as deacons and sub-
deacons of the Mass, and Father Gorris as master of ceremonies,
whilst the sermon was preached by the pastor of St. John's
Church, Father Still. The choir with orchestra accompaniment,
were at their best and lent additional solemnity to the occasion.
At 2 :30 P. M. the delegates attended Vespers, after which
a grand parade was held, made up of all the religious societies of
the city, followed by the bishop and clergy in carriages, with
Fred. Wolf, Sr., acting as chief marshal. In the evening the
scene of festivities was shifted to the Empire Theatre, where
addresses were made by Bishop Ryan, Father Hagen and others,
with musical selections by the united church choirs of 136 voices,
and a solemn "Te Deum" to close the day.
On the following day, Solemn High M!ass was celebrated
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION 57
at 8:30 A. M. at St. Francis Church, and an interesting enter-
tainment given at the school hall in the evening; whilst the
third and last day of the convention was opened at 8 A. M. with
a Solemn Requiem Mass at St. Mary's church, and closed with
a banquet for the delegates and invited guests at Highland Park.
All the business meetings of the convention were held at St.
In December of this year the Ladies' Society again made a
substantial donation to the church, this time in cash amounting
to $505.77, whilst the Young Ladies' Sodality contributed $200.
Early in 1895 a sentiment began to prevail in favor of a new
organ for the church, the old one having been in use since the
fall of 1854 and in consequence badly worn out. A letter to
the firm of J. W. Steere & Sons of Springfield, Mass., leading
organ builders in the country, brought the senior M!r. Steere
himself to Quincy, who was asked to submit plans and specifi-
cations for a first-class instrument, together with the lowest
price for which it could be set up. At a special meeting of the
church board April 9th, the whole matter was thoroughly dis-
cussed with Mr. Steere, with the result that a contract was duly
executed and signed for an organ, built according to the then
much lauded Hethrington Automatic System, that was to cost
$4200.00 and be ready for use in three or four months. The work
was carried out as agreed, and on the evening of
September 10th the new organ was ready for a
trial, whilst on the next day it was played for the first
time at divine service, the occasion being the marriage
of two prominent young people of the parish, Will Sohm
and Rosa Granacher.
On June 5th of this year occurred the Golden Jubilee of St.
Boniface Benevolent Society, and the event was the occasion for
a great celebration held at the church. At 9 A. M. a Solemn
Pontifical High Mass was celebrated by Bishop Ryan, with
Fathers Weis, Nicholas Leonard, O. F. M., and Ulrich Petri, O.
F. M,., as priest, deacon and sub-deacon of honor respectively,
Fathers Engelbert, Gey O. F. M., and Irenaeus Voussem, O. F.
M., as deacon and sub-deacon of office, Fathers Gorris and Pesch
as masters of ceremony, whilst Father Jos. Meckel of Alton de-
livered the sermon in which he spoke in his own inimitable way
of the great good that can be and no doubt has been accom-
58 DIAMOND JUBILEE
plished by a society like the one that was celebrating, in fifty
years. On leaving the church about 11 o'clock the members of
the society formed ranks to the number of about 200, and headed
by Gardner's Military Band, and with Edward Sohm, Henry
Duerholt, Herman Sibbing and George Heidemann as marshals,
held an impressive parade, which was viewed by Bishop Ryan
from the parsonage. In the evening a grand entertainment was
given, in the course of which Father Hagen, the vicar-general of
the Belleville diocese gave an interesting address in which he
also conveyed the congratulations of the Belleville societies.
On the 16th of the same month, the Sunday within the
octave of Corpus Christi, Father William Liesen, born Sept.
25th, 1861, another son of St. Boniface celebrated his First Mass
at his mother-church.
July 7th marks the arrival of Father Fred. A. Niebling at
St. Boniface, who for more than nine years was a faithful as-
sistant to Father Weis.
On October 13th of this year, was laid the corner-stone of
the new St. John's Church, and the various societies of St. Boni-
face, having formed ranks on Seventh and Hampshire streets,
marched out and attended the ceremony.
Besides the $4200.00 for the new organ, the following are
the principal other bills that were paid this year: $175.66 for
freight on the organ ; $145.00 for an electric motor to operate
the bellows ; $1270.11 for new roof on church and other repairs
on the parish property; $1117 for paving the street.
In 1896 the parish produced another priest in the person of
Father Maximilian Koch, who was ordained June 26th, 1896 at
Innsbruck, Austria and celebrated his First Mass at St. Boni-
face, Sunday, September 13th. Father Koch, the son of the
late John L,. Koch, was born in Quincy, April 15th, 1866 ; he
graduated from the National College of Pharmacy in Washing-
ton, D. C., in 1886 and worked as a pharmacist for about two
years, after which he began his studies for the holy priesthood.
After celebrating his First Mass he was appointed by Bishop
Janssen first assistant then pastor at the Cathedral in Belleville,
but died already December 20th 1901 as the result of acute
tuberculosis. His remains are interred at St. Boniface Cemetery.
On November 2nd of the current year, Father Gorris who
through his amiable character had endeared himself to all the
Interior of St. Boniface Church.
14 HOUY HELPERS
5'ESSED HERMAN JOSEPH
Paintings from the Main Altar and the Baptistry.
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION
parishioners of St. Boniface was transferred as assistant to St.
John's Church and Father F. X. Sturm arrived on the same day
to take his place.
At the first meeting of the trustees and directors of the
church in 1897 (March 1st), the main topic that came up for
consideration was the advisability of lighting the church, school
and parsonage with electricity, the gas service having of late
become entirely inadequate. After a thorough discussion of the
matter, it was decided to obtain estimates of the cost for the
proposed improvement, after which a special meeting was to be
called for further action. This meeting took place on Mkrch
16th, and was attended by Rudolph Tenk, of the Tenk Hard-
ware Co., who submitted plans for a first-class electric lighting
system made up of the best materials known, and stated that
the cost including wiring and fixtures would amount approxi-
mately to $275.00 for the church and $265.00 for the school, no
estimate being given for the parsonage. The plans of Mr. Tenk
were approved and he was instructed to begin with the work at
once. Several changes in the specifications were subsequently
made, and when the entire system had been installed the cost
was $375.20 and $290.52 for the church and school respectively.
In 1898 the ancient dream of a new parsonage became at
last a reality. And surely a sorely needed improvement it was,
as the old parish residence, with all the repairs that were made
from time to time, left very much to be desired, and amongst
many others had this irremediable disadvantage, that it stood
on the very line of the sidewalk thus making impossible any de-
gree of privacy. Hence a great amount of discussion had pre-
ceded and the Bishop had already been asked for his approval,
when a meeting was held on April 3rd, and adjourned to April
4th, for the purpose of looking over the site for the proposed
new building and adopting plans and specifications. At first it
was the intention to build to the west of the church with front
on Maine street, but as the additional property which would have
been required to carry out this plan, was offered at such a pro-
hibitive price, it was at length agreed to utilize the existing
church yard only, and erect the parsonage to the north of the
church with fronting to Maine street and also to Seventh street.
A committee had been appointed to confer with Architect Tube-
sing, who submitted drawings and descriptive matter, and
agreed to make a charge of only 2 per cent for his work as archi-
60 DIAMOND JUBILEE
tect, whilst he would at the same time act in the capacity of
superintendent without making the usual additional levy of 1
per cent. The plans and specifications of Mr. Tubesing were
adopted and he was instructed to invite reliable contractors to
place their bids for the work not later than April 12th, when
they would be opened in the presence of the rector, the lay
trustees and directors of the church and the architect. As
Father Gorris who was still assistant at St. John's Church had
acquired quite a little experience in building, and showed great
interest in the work at St. Boniface, he was requested to act as
assistant to Mr. Tubesing. By April 12th the following bids
had been presented on the work: A. Moller $11762.00; Henry
Schenk $10980.00; Hy. Eichelschulte $10900.00; John Schmits,
$10707.00; G. H. Dicker 10505.67; Baltas Schullian $10481.00.
Mr. Schullian being the lowest bidder was awarded the con-
tract, with the understanding that the work must be completed
by Sept. 1st. On April 18th, the parochial residence was tem-
porarily transferred to the Browning House, and the work of
tearing down the old vacated parsonage and building the new
one was begun. But things did not progress as rapidly as was
at first expected, and it was only after the 8th of January that
the new house was ready to be occupied.
In the contract awarded to Mr. Schullian, the hardware, or-
namental glass, electric lighting, and of course the furnishings,
had not been provided for, it being deemed advisable that the
congregation take these matters up directly. In consequence
the following expenditures must be added to the original con-
tract price: $222.05 to Oenning Glass & Book Co. for glazing;
$158.18 to Tenk Hardware Co. for electric wiring with $557.00
additional for the fixtures, and $192.00 for other hardware ;
$448.53 to Andrew Doerr and W. T. Duker for dry goods and
carpets, which was paid by the memlbers of the Ladies' Society ;
$237.25 to F. Duker & Sons for furniture of which the Ladies'
Society paid $159.75 and the Young Ladies' Sodality $77.50;
$245.00 to Geo. J. Risto for seven mantels and grates; $31.05 for
a range for the kitchen ; $125.00 to Poepping & Heine for an iron
fence around the lot; $231.33 for grading and laying sidewalks.
Then there came the usual "extras" for which $173.00 was paid
to Baltas Schullian ; $127.30 to Menke Stone and Lime Co. and
$242.00 to E. Best & Co., who however allowed $200.00 off on
boiler, so that, including the fee of the architect which was
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION 61.
$250.00, the total cost of our present parsonage amounted to no
less than $13,520.78. But surely the money was well invested,
and instead of the dilapidated building that stood in its place
before, St. Boniface now has a rectory that is becoming to it as
the oldest German Catholic parish along the Mississippi, a
rectory that is second to none in the diocese and of which all
loyal parishioners have reason to feel proud.
In the meantime the new St. John's Church had been com-
pleted and dedicated February 13th, attended as a matter of
course by a large crowd of parishioners from the old mother-
On April 16th, Father Joseph Foerster became assistant in
place of Father Sturm.
Other improvements ordered during the year were the fol-
lowing; Paving and sewering on Maine street adjacent to the
old cemetery property, as also on State street, adjoining the pres-
ent burial ground, for $1914.47; and fire-escapes for the school
building, furnished by Poepping & Heine for $130.00.
In March of the year 1900, inquiry was made of the Stuck-
stede Bell Foundry of St. Louis, relative to the cost of recasting
the largest bell in the tower, which like the "Liberty Bell" of
revolutionary days had announced its glad tidings too loud and
too long, and in consequence had sprung about two years ago.
The firm in question agreed to do the work as specified and fur-
nish a new bell containing all the metal of the old one, for which
due allowance would be made from the regular price which was
759.35, including $66.00 for the mountings. Mr. Schenk was in-
structed to take the bell from the tower and to send it to their
factory, whence it returned May 25th, much improved in weight
and general appearance, the former being 2700 pounds for the
bell itself and 900 pounds for the mountings; it measured now
some 53 inches in diameter, and is pitched as it was before, in D
natural. When the bill for the work arrived, it was found, to
the satisfaction of all concerned, that the allowance for the old
metal mentioned above was $480.13, so that the net cost of the
work was only $279.22. On Sunday, May 27th, at 2 :30 o'clock
in the afternoon the bell was re-blessed by Father Weis, with
Edward Sohm, George Fischer, Wm. Krewet, Henry Tenk, John
Herman Tenk, Joseph Lubbe, Wm. Berter and George Schmeing
as sponsors, whilst the popular pulpit orator, Father Michael
62 DIAMOND JUBILEE
Richardt, O. F. .M., delivered one of his eloquent masterpieces.
The name of the bell, as inscribed thereon is Boniface.
On Thursday, August 23rd, the annual Eucharistic Confer-
ence of the Alton diocese was opened at Quincy with head-
quarters at St. Boniface. At 9 o'clock A. M. a Solemn High
Mass was celebrated, followed by German and English sermons
by Fathers Meckel of Alton and Hickey of Springfield respect-
ively, whilst at 4 o'clock P. M. Benediction with the Most
Blessed Sacrament took place.
When the terrible Galveston tornado and flood of Sept. 8th
had caused a loss of 7000 lives and $30,000,000 of property, a
special collection was taken up in St. Boniface Church Septem-
ber 16th, which brought the sum of $151.62 for the sufferers.
December 31st of this year, according to the common cal-
culation at least, marked the close of the nineteenth century, and
as the most appropriate means of entering the twentieth and of-
fering the very first fruits thereof to God, the Holy Father per-
mitted the celebration of Mlid-night Mass before the Blessed Sac-
rament exposed in all the churches throughout the world, during
which the faithful could also receive Communion. The privi-
lege was made use of at St. Boniface, and great was the throng
of people young and old who came to church at so early an hour
to assist at the Holy Sacrifice and to receive the Sacraments.
Truly for them the new century was well begun, begun in a man-
ner to draw down from heaven God's choicest blessings for the
years to come.
The opening of a new century figures not merely on the
civil calendar, but also in the customs and practices of the
Church, according to which every 25th year is a so-called "Jubi-
lee Year" during which a special plenary indulgence is granted
by the Holy Father to those who comply with the necessary
conditions. The conditions for the Jubilee this year, included
besides the worthy reception of the sacraments, a visit to four
different churches repeated on fifteen days, and for the members
of St. Boniface, the churches specified by the bishop were be-
sides their own, St. Peter's, St. Francis' and St. John's. The
"Jubilee" was published in church on Feb. 2nd, the first Sunday
in Lent, and the time for gaining it was from March 1st to Sept.
In the beginning of July of this year Father Weis under-
took an extended trip to Europe, visiting many places of special
Interior of St. Boniface School
ST. BONIFACE CONGREGATION
interest. His return to Quincy, October 18th, was made the oc-
casion for a grand reception that had been quietly arranged and
was tendered two days later by his parishioners, who through
their spokesman, Edward Sohm, gave him a most hearty wel-
come back to their midst, to which he responded in a happy
vein, talking about the principal incidents of his sojourn abroad,
and expressing his sincere pleasure in being back again amongst
his people who, compared with those of other countries, are, gen-
erally speaking, not so very bad after all. The good pastor sup-
posed that this would conclude the celebration, when suddenly
the scenery in the rear of the stage was opened displaying in
a glare of light the precious gifts that had been prepared and
were now formally presented during a speech by Hy. Duerholt
and another by George Fischer, Sr. The following were in-
cluded in the exhibition :
A communion cloth of the finest linen and lace, donated by
Mrs. Hy. Ording and Mrs. Geo. Egbers, and made up by the
young ladies of the parish.
An altar cloth of the same material by Misses Cornelia and
Lace covers for the side tables by Miss Anna Duker and
Miss Estella Friederick.
A smaller piece of finest fabric by Miss Helen Jacoby.
A surplice in keeping with the rest of the gifts, by Mrs.
Egbers and Mrs. Ording.
A cord for the sanctuary bell, in satin, artistically embroid-
ered, by M*iss Anna S. Kiefer.
A white chasuble in brocaded velvet with hand-painted de-
sign of the Holy Family, from the men of the congregation.
A fine crayon picture of the pastor, in a heavy gilt frame,
by Father Niebling, his faithful and zealous assistant.
After the presentation of these gifts, the ladies served a de-
licious luncheon, and the balance of the evening was spent in
pleasant conversation in a manner that must have left the
fondest memories in the minds of all who witnessed it.
From November 4th to llth the school was closed to give
the children a chance of complying with the order of the Board
of Health in regard to being vaccinated, in order to prevent the
spread of smallpox, several cases of which had been reported
in the city. No child was to be admitted to school without a
properly signed certificate.
64 DIAMOND JUBILEE
On November 16th occured at the Vincent Home the death
of Father Gorris, former assistant at St. Boniface, and the large
attendance at his funeral which took place from St. John's Church
November 19th, showed how beloved he was by all who knew
The next year, 1902, is ushered in with a Golden Jubilee, it
being fifty years on January llth since the first regular meeting
of Aloysius Orphan Society had been held, though its organi-
zation, as stated above, had already been effected November 30th
of the preceeding year. A Solemn High Mass was celebrated at
8 o'clock by Father Weis, during which a brilliant sermon was
delivered by Father Andrew Butzkueben, O. F. M., pastor of St.
Francis Church. At 4 o'clock P. M. the officers and members
of the society, together with their wards the orphans, met at the
school hall, where at 5 o'clock they were served with a tempting