in this line to various cities where he has become a factor in organizing several
electric appliance companies. He is now secretary and treasurer of the Electric
Appliance Company, of New Orleans ; vice president of the Electric Appliance
Company of San Francisco; and also vice president of the Electric Appliance
Company of Dallas, Texas, all of which have had their root in the success of the
parent house at Chicago. The company controls the largest electrical supply job-
bing house in the United States, doing an exclusive jobbing business. Mr. Stacey
has also been more or less active in the affairs of the Chicago Credit Men's Associa-
tion and the Chicago Association of Commerce and various electrical organizations
and is much interested in any movement or measure for the benefit of trade and
for the advancement of municipal progress through business channels.
His efforts, however, are not confined exclusively to commercial interests for he
takes active and helpful part in church, charitable and civic movements, giving aid
and cooperation where the public welfare is involved or where the interests and
uplift of the individual are matters of chief concern. He is now serving as vestry-
178 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS
man in St. Mark's church of Evanston, in which he has long held membership,
and in the different lines of church work has proven very helpful, being now super-
intendent of the Sunday school. For over fifteen years he was one of the directors
of the Evanston Young Men's Christian Association.
It was in St. Mark's church on the 5th of May, 1897, that Mr. Stacey was
united in marriage to Miss Lily Mary Parker, a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. A. H.
Parker, of Evanston. Mrs. Stacey was educated in the Evanston schools, being
graduated from the high school in 1888, and she is also a graduate of the Cumnock
School of Oratory, a department of the Northwestern University. She is likewise
a daughter of the American Revolution, a director of the Evanston Woman's Club
and prominent in the work of St. Mark's church of Evanston. Unto Mr, and Mrs.
Stacey have been born two children, Marion Parker and Elizabeth Hancock. Mr.
and Mi's. Stacey move in a cultured circle where intelligence and true worth are
accepted as the passports to good society, and their labors constitute effective and
resultant forces in the work for individual and community progress and improvement.
ROBERT M. EASTMAN.
Robert M. Eastman, president of the W. F. Hall Printing Company and active
in formulating the plans of a business which has enjoyed substantial growth, its
plant being now located at Kingsbury and Superior streets, was born in Anoka,
Minnesota, December 1, 1869. His father, Job Eastman, was a native of Maine
and in 1849 made his way to the middle west, engaging in the lumber business
first in Minneapolis and later in Anoka, his death occurring in the latter place in
October, 1910, when he was eighty-four years of age. He wedded Kate M. Kim-
ball, who was also a native of Maine, in which state their marriage was celebrated,
and it was immediately afterward that they came to the west. Mrs. Eastman be-
longed to one of the old families of Maine. Her father served as a soldier in the
war of 1812 and afterward removed westward to Minnesota, where he engaged
in the lumber business and also conducted a hotel. He was a direct descendant of
one of the dukes of Scotland, while the ancestry in the paternal line is traced back
to Roger Eastman, the Puritan forefather who came to New England in 1621.
Robert M. Eastman was educated in the public and high schools of his native
town and when a boy in Anoka he gained an insight into the printing business so
that experience qualified him for that line of work when at the age of seventeen
years he came to Chicago and secured employment as a compositor, in which capac-
ity he served for several years. Gradually he acquainted himself with the different
phases of the business and promoted his skill and efficiency so that after a few years
he secured the position of foreman and superintendent with the National Journal-
ist Printing Company. Eighteen years ago he became connected with the W. F.
Hall Printing Company and upon the death of Mr. Hall in August, 1908, he joined
with Edwin M. Colvin in purchasing the capital stock of the business. When Mr.
Eastman first became associated with the house in 1893 it was a very small concern.
Today theirs is one of the largest and best equipped plants in the United States.
Following the purchase of the business by Messrs. Eastman and Colvin they erected
CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 179
a building at Kingsbury and Superior streets, which is now the finest and most
complete building in Chicago devoted exclusively to the printing business, with a
floor space of two hundred and fifty thousand square feet and a capacity of one
hundred and twenty-five tons of printed matter per day. It is equipped with the
latest improved presses and machinery of every description necessary for the con-
duct of such a business, and this splendid plant is the visible evidence of the enter-
prising and progressive spirit and business ability of Mr. Eastman and his partner.
On the 24th of January, 1894, Mr. Eastman was united in marriage to Miss
Carrie Evers, a daughter of William Evers, a well known commission merchant
of this city, and to them have been born two children : William Evers, now sixteen
years of age, who is a pupil in the high school; and Eunice, a little maiden of six
Mr. Eastman exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and meas-
ures of the republican party and is actively interested in its growth and success,
yet does not seek nor desire office. He is prominent in Masonry, having attained
the Knights Templar degree of the York Rite and the thirty-second degree of the
Scottish Rite, and has also crossed the sands of the desert with the Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine. He is likewise a member of the Chicago Athletic Club, the South
Shore Country Club and City Club, and in the midst of a very busy life finds time
for those social interests and recreations which constitute an even balance to busi-
ness activity and preserve a well rounded development.
ORRIN N. CARTER.
Orrin N. Carter, formerly county judge of Cook county and now a supreme
court justice of Illinois, has left and is leaving his impress upon the Illinois judi-
ciary in a manner which reflects credit and honor on the legal profession. Unbiased
by personal opinion in the discharge of his professional duties and standing ever
as a stalwart conservator of right and justice, he has won the esteem and confi-
dence of those who desire an upright administration of the law.
He was born in Jefferson county, New York, January 22, 1854. His father, Ben-
ajah Carter, who sailed on the Great Lakes, died when Orrin was less than two
years of age. His mother, whose maiden name was Isabel Cole, afterward married
James W. Francisco and in the fall of 1 864 the family moved westward, locating in
Du Page county, Illinois. The future jurist had already begun his education in the
district schools of the Empire state, further continuing his studies in his adopted state.
As the financial resources of the family were not sufficient to provide him with the
higher education which he desired, he worked his own way through Wheaton Col-
lege at Wheaton, Illinois, and was graduated with the A.B. degree in 1877. He
studied law in Chicago, with Judge M. F. Tuley and General I. N. Stiles as his
preceptors. His first professional service was in the field of teaching and he also
served as county superintendent of schools in Grundv county, Illinois, from 1880
until 1882. He regarded this, however, only as the initial step to other profes-
sional work and, resigning his position in the latter year, concentrated his energies
upon the practice of law.
180 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS
While residing in Grundy county, Judge Carter was married in Morris, Illinois,
on the 1st of August, 1881, to Miss Nettie J. Steven. They have two children,
Allan J. and Ruth G.
Having been admitted to the bar in 1880, Judge Carter practiced at Morris
for about eight years, having as partners at different times A. L. Doud, who went
west for his health and is a leading attorney of Denver; Judge R. M. Wing, a
prominent lawyer in Chicago; and Judge S. C. Stough, who remained in Morris
and is now circuit judge. While in Morris Judge Carter served as states attorney
for Grundy county, from 1883 until 1888, conducting on behalf of the state some
important criminal trials, notably the prosecution of Henry Schwartz and Newton
Watt for the murder of Kellogg Nichols, an express messenger, while on duty in
his car on the Rock Island Railroad. The case aroused much public interest at the
time. Both men were convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment in the peni-
Judge Carter's active connection with the Chicago bar dated from 1888, the
reputation which he had won in the interior of the state proving the foundation
upon which he built his success in this city. His ability, too, was soon made mani-
fest in his work in the courts here. From 1892 until 1894 he was engaged as gen-
eral attorney for the sanitary district of Chicago. In the latter year he was elected
county judge of Cook county, to which office he was twice reelected, the last time
without opposition, serving over eleven years and resigning in 1906 to take the
position he holds at present. As a supreme court justice he is now unconsciously
writing for himself on public opinion the verdict of his long work as an able
judge, of comprehensive understanding of the law, his clear analysis of every case
enabling him to arrive at its salient points in connection with the principles of
jurisprudence bearing thereon.
Judge Carter resides with his family at Evanston. He is an active member of
the Union League Club, the Congregational Club and the Hamilton Club, and takes
a deep interest in the discussion of the political, social and municipal problems that
are frequently a matter of earnest thought and able debate in these organizations.
FRANK M. BURROUGHS.
Frank M. Burroughs, who at the time of his death was general attorney for the
Phoenix Insurance Company, with headquarters in Chicago, was born in Wayland,
New York, June 14, 1851, his parents being Benjamin and Miranda (Rose) Bur-
roughs. The father was a son of Benjamin Burroughs, a hotel proprietor, who a
few years after his marriage removed to Port Huron, Michigan, and afterward to
Chicago. Still later he went to St. Louis, where he remained until about 1870, when
he located at Clinton, Illinois, there conducting the Magill House until his death in
1890. He was of English and Irish descent. His wife, who was a daughter of
Judge Rose of Castile, New York, died in 1887. They were the parents of an only
son, Frank M., and four daughters, of whom three are living: Mrs. J. R. Summers,
of Clinton, Illinois; Mrs. Henry Weaver, of Los Angeles, California; and Mrs.
Frederick Servey, of New York city.
F. M. BURROUGHS
CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 183
Owing to the ill health of his father in his later years, Frank M. Burroughs early
contributed to the support of the family and continued to care for his sisters liberally
until his death. When a small boy he came to the west with his parents and one sis-
ter and his education was obtained in the public schools of St. Louis and of Clinton,
Illinois, followed by a literary course at the University of Champaign, from which
he was graduated with high honors. In 1880 he entered the law office of R. A.
Lemon at Clinton, and two years afterward was admitted to practice, becoming a
partner of Mr. Lemon with whom he remained for two years. In 1884 he was ap-
pointed master in chancery and served for four years. During that period, in which
he won recognition as one of the foremost attorneys of De Witt county, he was col-
lector for the Phoenix Insurance Company, and his ability so favorably impressed
the head officials that he was offered the important position of manager of the farm
department and was transferred to Chicago, where he served as general attorney
for that company until his death on the 9th of March, 1910. He was a large,
strong man, but his constitution became undermined by excessive application to
business and two years prior to his demise he suffered a stroke of paralysis. Appar-
ently he recovered but thirteen months later had 'a second., stroke, caused by over-
work during the San Francisco disaster and the scandal which arose involving the
integrity of the president of the company. He then decided to give up work but
did not, for he seemed to be regaining his youth and was enjoying better health
than he had for years. The death of his only child, however, brought on a third
stroke, terminating his life. In his law practice he was clean and conscientious,
always refusing to defend guilt and abhorring anything in the way of corrupt
In politics Mr. Burrroughs was a stanch democrat, while his religious belief
was that of the Episcopal church, and he was a regular attendant at St. Mark's.
While he held membership with many clubs, he was not a club man in the sense of
spending much time there, for he possessed domestic tastes and habits and preferred
to devote his attention to his home. He was prominent in the Knights of Pythias
society and held the highest offices in the state. He became a member of Plantage-
net Lodge No. 25, K. P., at Clinton, Illinois, June 14, 1872, and in 1875 was chosen
chancellor commander. A zealous worker in the order, he was instrumental in or-
ganizing the Metzger division. He entered the grand lodge in 1877 and served as
district deputv grand chancellor for three years. In 1880 he was elected grand in-
ner guard and in 1884 was chosen grand chancellor and proved the most able and
careful officer the order ever had in that position. He also served as supreme repre-
sentative from 1894 until 1898. An article in the Pythian Record at the time of his
death said in part: "No member of the order was more beloved or held in
higher esteem than Frank M. Burroughs. He left a record for purity of life, hon-
esty and integrity of purpose that is rarely equalled and which will always prove an
inspiration to his fellow members. As showing the love and esteem in which he
was held by members of the Pythian order, his brethren attended his funeral in
such large numbers that the spacious home could not contain them." The funeral
was conducted under the auspices of the order, Rev. William White Wilson of St.
Mark's officiating, and the remains were taken to Clinton, Illinois, for interment.
In 1910 a new Knights of Pythias lodge was formed in Chicago and was called
Frank M. Burroughs Lodge No. 708, Mrs. Burroughs presenting to the organiza-
184 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS
tion a large and fine oil painting of her husband. He was an eloquent speaker, ever
ready, and his remarks were always appropriate and to the point. He was aiso a.
good writer, both in prose and verse.
On the 6th of December, 1900, at the Planters Hotel in St. Louis, Mr. Burroughs
was united in marriage to Miss Daisy Higginson, a daughter of the Hon. T. S. Hig-
ginson, a member of the English parliament, who died September 17, 1911. Mrs.
Burroughs is a native of Canada and a niece of Thomas Wentworth Higginson, of
Boston. The only son of her marriage, Frank M. Jr., died in infancy, October 14,
Mr. Burroughs' home life was ideal, an unusual devotion existing between him-
self and wife. He was always tender and affectionate and his every thought was
one of solicitude for her comfort and happiness, and never was the memory of a
loved one more sacredly cherished or his loss more inconsolably mourned. Mrs.
Burroughs now resides at No. 3520 Grand boulevard in an attractive home secured
to her through the care of her husband.
JOHN LEE MAHIN.
With developing conditions there have usually come to the front men who
have been able to cope with such conditions and have shown themselves masters
of the situation. With the growing complexity in trade circles, wherein the keen-
est competition is rife, advertising has become recognized as an indispensable ele-
ment, and in this connection there has developed the advertising agency, which
has shaped and guided the work, making of it a systematic and well organized
business. John Lee Mahin is one of the foremost factors in advertising circles not
only in Chicago but in the country and the story of his achievement and of the
development of his business cannot fail to prove of interest to the commercial world.
A native of Muscatine, Iowa, he was born December 14, 1869, of the marriage
of John and Anna (Lee) Mahin. The father was a native of Noblesville, Indiana,
born December 8, 1833. Nine years later the family removed to Iowa and when
thirteen years of age John Mahin, Sr., began learning the printing business in the
office of the Muscatine Journal, making such progress that he became editor of the
paper in his nineteenth year, in 1852, rounding up an editorial career of fifty
years on the same paper in 1902. The journal while under his management was
first a whig paper and was afterward republican in politics. It supported the
anti-slavery cause and the Union during the Civil war as well as the reconstruction
policy of the republican party after the close of hostilities. The paper was also
an advocate of temperance and prohibition and because Mr. Mahin stanchly advo-
cated the enforcement of the state laws against the saloons, his home was destroyed
by dynamite and the lives of himself and family were greatly imperiled. However,
he stood fearlessly in support of his honest convictions at all times and labored
untiringly for justice, truth and progress. The Mahin family is of Scotch-Irish
descent, their ancestry being traced back to a period antedating the Revolutionary
war, when representatives of the name settled in Rhode Island. Subsequently a
removal was made to North Carolina, thence to Kentucky and afterward to Ross
CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 185
count} 7 , Ohio, where the father of John Mahin was born. The mother of John
Lee Mahin bore the maiden name of Anna Lee and was a daughter of John Bond
Lee, a native of Harford county, Maryland. Members of the Lee family served in
official capacities in both the Revolutionary war and the war of 1812. The grand-
mother of Mr. Mahin in the maternal line belonged to the Branson family in Vir-
ginia, all of whom were loyal members of the Society of Friends or Quakers and
were distinguished for their earnest and effective efforts to abolish slavery.
When he had mastered the branches of learning taught in the public schools,
being graduated from the Muscatine high school with the class of 1886, John Lee
Mahin entered the Wayland Academy at Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. With the com-
pletion of his education he entered the newspaper field and in this connection re-
ceived much of the training that proved of inestimable value in his later career
in connection with the advertising business. A contemporary biographer has tersely
and forcefully given an account of Mr. Mahin's business career as follows :
"John Lee Mahin, president of the Mahin Advertising Company, of Chicago,
is a combination of the strenuous and the thoughtful in his life and his work. He
is one of the real thinkers in the advertising field and his method of analyzing a
proposition and of working out a campaign by means of 'conferences' and 'data'
was first smiled at and then adopted by others. Mr. Mahin was born in Musca-
tine, Iowa, in 1869. His father owned the Muscatine Journal and Mr. Mahin,
when he was old enough, became city editor and subsequently was manager. In
1891 he moved to Chicago. At first he worked in the advertising department of
the Chicago News, then was advertising manager of The Interior and, after much
advertising experience, in 1898, he organized the Mahin Advertising Company.
Because of his pioneer work in linking sales development with advertising, Mr.
Mahin is known to practically every big sales manager in the country. In his
endeavor to resolve advertising to something approaching basic principles he wrote
the now famous 'Mahin's Ten Tests,' by which it is claimed the practical value of
any piece of advertising copy may be determined before it is printed. His com-
pany publishes the 'Mahin Mesenger,' a monthly magazine devoted to advertising
ideas and problems ; also, annually it issues the Mahin Advertising Data Book, a
remarkable array of facts and figures, issued in vest pocket edition also. Mr.
Mahin does a great deal of public speaking. He delievered the course of lectures
on advertising before the School of Commerce of Northwestern University, also
at the Universities of Chicage, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan. Some of these
lectures have appeared in book form. Mr. Mahin has been one of the leaders who
have done so much to improve and dignify the advertising agency business, in all
his work laying special stress on the fact that 'real service' covers all parts and
phases of advertising instead of the mere buying of space." The Mahin Adver-
tising Company maintains a conspicuous and most honorable position in the busi-
ness circles of the city, with John Lee Mahin at its head.
Mr. Mahin was married on the 29th of October, 1895, in the Sixth Presbyte-
rian church of Chicago, to Miss Julia Graham Snitzler, a daughter of John Henry
Snitzler, and they have become parents of three children, Margaret, Marian and'
John Lee, Jr.
Mr. Mahin votes with the republican party and regards it the duty as well as
the privilege of a man to exercise his right of franchise. He was reared in the
186 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS
Methodist church in Muscatine, Iowa, and now with his family attends the First
Congregational church of Evanston. He holds membership relations with the
Union League, the Chicago Athletic and the Mid-Day Clubs of Chicago; the Uni-
versity and Country Clubs of Evanston; the Glen View Golf Club; and the Aldine
Club of New York.
JAMES CLAFFEY STRAIN.
Certain qualities command respect, others admiration ; but it requires more
than these to win love; and those who knew James C. Strain had for him the
deeper affection that transcends regard. His salient characteristics of kindliness,
forbearance, sympathy, geniality and cordiality drew people to him in ties that
even the bonds of death have not severed, for his memory is cherished by all with
whom he came in contact. He was a resident of Chicago from early manhood
to the time of his death. His birth occurred in Dublin, Ireland, February 12, 1849,
his parents being Robert and Helen (Claffey) Strain, who were also from Dublin,
but came to America when their son James was but six months old, establishing
their home in New York. In the eastern metropolis James C. Strain spent his
early youth, pursuing his education in the public schools, but when fourteen years
of age he left home, for in the meantime his mother had died and his father had
remarried. What he felt was unjust treatment at the hands of his stepmother caused
him to leave the parental roof, like hundreds of other boys, and place his depend-
ence upon his own resources for a living. He first took up bookbinding, which was
his father's trade, but after a period turned his attention to the hatter's trade, with
which he became thoroughly familiar and upon that line of business he depended
for some years for a livelihood and ultimately won substantial success in that field.
When about seventeen years of age he left New York, going to the south, where he
traveled quite extensively. He afterward returned to the metropolis, but in 1868
came to Chicago. He was then en route for St. Louis and the west, but was so
well pleased with the city by the lake and its prospects that he decided to remain
and soon became an active factor in its business circles, establishing a hat manu-
factory at the northeast corner of Randolph and State streets. The business was
extended to include the wholesale trade and at one time he had between ten and
fifteen hundred employes. One evening, when he was walking home from church
with the lady whom he expected to make his wife, there came the alarm of fire. It
was the beginning of the great conflagration which practically wiped out momen-
tarily the business district of the city and many of its residences. The establish-
ment of Mr. Strain was in the path of the flames and he lost everything which his