Copyright
J. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) Currey.

Chicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) online

. (page 24 of 74)
Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 24 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


connection with a news stand.

Dr. Andersen had made up his mind, even though but a boy, to become a physi-
cian, and he bent every energy toward that end. He worked nights as well as days
in order to earn the money necessary to carry him through college, and his unre-
mitting industry and his careful expenditure at length brought him the funds neces-
sary to meet his college expenses. In 1890, therefore, he entered the John Creigh-
ton Medical College of Omaha, from which he was graduated in 189-1. Wishing
to obtain a more thorough knowledge of medicine and surgery he went abroad and
pursued post-graduate work at Kiel, Germany, and at Copenhagen, taking a two
years' course. He thus came under the instruction of some of the eminent physicians
and surgeons of the old world. Well equipped for his profession, he returned to
Chicago and had the benefit of a year's broad and varied experience as interne in
the Chicago Hospital, where he was assistant to Dr. Alexander Hugh Ferguson.
During the Spanish-American war he served as a surgeon in Cuba, and after the
war was stationed for a time at Fortress Monroe, Virginia. He was next sent to
the Philippines, where he remained for seventeen months, and upon his return to
this country in 1901 he once more made his way to Chicago, where he has since
been located. He has an extensive practice in surgery, accorded him in recognition
of his wide knowledge and his able and conscientious performance of duty. He
belongs to the Chicago Medical Society, the Illinois State Medical Society and the
American Medical Association, is a member of the Mississippi Valley Medical Asso-
ciation and is a fellow of the Visiting Surgeons' Society. He likewise belongs to the
Physicians' Club, the Surgeons' Society, the Missouri Valley Association and the
Pathological Society, and he has a chair in the Postgraduate Woman's Hospital.
He keeps in touch with all of the most recent work of the profession and his sound
judgment enables him to quickly discriminate between that which is of value and
that which he regards as unessential in the practical work of the profession.

On the 23d of March, 1899, Dr. Andersen was united in marriage to Miss Polly
Sickles, a niece of General Sickles, of Civil war fame. Mrs. Andersen died June
27, 1904. The Doctor resides at No. 8 Chalmers Place a'nd has his office in the
Masonic Temple. He belongs to the Royal Arcanum, the University Club and the
Illinois Athletic Association. He holds membership with the Lutheran church and
when opportunity offers engages in travel for pastime and recreation. He has ever
been greatly interested in experimental work, and keeps in touch with all that per-
tains to the work of the profession in which he has made steady advancement.



OTTO L. SCHMIDT, M. D.

Otto L. Schmidt, a physician of prominent professional and business connec-
tions, with offices in the Mailers building, has for a quarter of a century continued
in the practice of medicine in this, his native city. His parents came to Chicago
in 1857, and it was here that Dr. Schmidt was born in 1863. After graduating
from the Haven school, and afterwards from the Central high school, at that



228 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

time on West Monroe street, in its last graduating class in 1880, he determined
upon the practice of medicine as his life work and entered as a student the Chicago
Medical College, which eventually became the Medical Department of the North-
western University. On graduation there followed an interneship of two years in
the Cook County Infirmary and the Alexian Brothers Hospital of Chicago. There-
after he qualified for further professional duties by post-graduate work at Wiirz-
burg and Vienna. Save for the period spent abroad in advanced studies, he was
continuously engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery in Chicago since
1883, and is today recognized as among the prominent of the medical profession.
He is now physician to the Alexian Brothers Hospital and consulting physician
to the Michael Reese and German Hospitals. For many years he has been con-
nected with the Chicago Polyclinic as professor of internal medicine. He is a
member of the Chicago Medical Society, the Chicago Academy of Medicine, the
American Medical Association, and the Chicago Society of Medical History.
Dr. Schmidt is also active in many other social and charitable organizations. He
is a trustee of the Chicago Historical Society, a trustee of the Illinois State His-
torical Library, president of the German American Historical Society of Illinois
and counselor of the Illinois Historical Society.



THOMAS TAYLOR, JR.

Thomas Taylor, Jr., master in chancery of the circuit court, was born near
Birmingham, England, November 18, 1860, a son of Thomas and Jane (Holloway)
Taylor. The public schools of New Jersey and of Illinois afforded him his early
educational privileges, for he was only six years of age at the time he crossed
the Atlantic with his father. Later he became a student in Knox College
at Galesburg, Illinois, and, working his way through, was graduated with the
class of 1881. With him in college were Robert Mather, Edgar A. Bancroft,
S. S. McClure and Judge Pinckney. Mr. Taylor was active in college affairs and
was elected to the presidency of the Gnothautii Literary Society. Determining
upon the practice of law as his life work, he matriculated in Harvard Law School
in 1882 and was graduated with honors in 1885, receiving at that time the LL. B.
degree. Shortly afterward he was admitted to the bar of Suffolk county, Massa-
chusetts, and for one year practiced in Boston in connection with the firm of Bur-
dette & Gooch. In 1887 he came to Chicago and since that time has been actively
engaged in the general practice of civil law, in which connection a large and dis-
tinctively representative clientage has been accorded him. In 1892 he was ap-
pointed master in chancery of the circuit court by Judge Thomas G. Windes, and
served for eighteen years, or until 1910. He was appointed to the same office by
Judge Henry A. Baldwin and his record in that position is one which has brought
the highest commendation of the leading members of the Chicago bar. He is
well known for his professional integrity and legal ability and is popular with both
the bench and bar. In 1909 he was nominated for judge of the circuit court and
in 1910 received the nomination for judge of the superior court on the republican
ticket, having a very large vote at the primaries. He belongs to the Chicago, to



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 229

the Illinois and the American Bar Associations and in 1906 he was appointed by
Governor Deneen a delegate to the congress on uniform divorce law.

Mr. Taylor resides in Hubbard Woods, Winnetka, where he has an attractive
home. He was married in Chicago, January 29, 1890, to Miss Florence Clarkson,
a daughter of John T. Clarkson, of Chicago, and unto them have been born three
children, Thome Clarkson, Wilberforce and Florence. . Both Mr. and Mrs. Taylor
have for many years taken especial interest in the work of the Illinois Humane
Society and Mr. Taylor is serving on its executive committee and also as its at-
torney. He was during the year 1911 the president of the Harvard Club of Chi-
cago, is vice president- at the Onwentsia Club and for some years was one
of the directors of the University Club. He is also an official of the Winnetka
Club and a member of the Hamilton, Marquette, Law and City Clubs. A
lover of literature, he possesses a good library and for some years has repre-
sented the Selden Society of this city. An enthusiastic golfer, much of his outdoor
recreation is taken in that form. The varied interests of his life are well balanced.
There is nothing mediocre about him; he is forceful, alert, enterprising, a man of
sound judgment and keen discrimination. He recognizes and meets the duties and
obligations of life as well as its pleasures and pastimes and in the practice of
law he has always adhered to a high standard of professional ethics and has long
been regarded as an able minister of the temple of justice.



CARTER HENRY HARRISON, JR.

American annals do not furnish a parallel to the history of Carter H. Harri-
son, Sr., and Jr., father and son, whose combined service as mayor of the city
covers ten terms. Each after filling the position for four terms retired, as he be-
lieved, permanently from the position of chief executive but was recalled to the
office, and the son is now the incumbent in the high position in which popular
franchise has placed him.

He was born in Chicago, April 23, 1860, and attended school here until 1873,
when he accompanied his mother abroad and continued his education in the gym-
nasium at Altenburg, Germany. In 1876 he was a college student in New York
and in 188] was graduated from St. Ignatius College of Chicago. He afterward
entered Yale, his father's alma mater, and there completed a law course with the
class of 1883. Following his return to Chicago he took up the real-estate business,
in which he engaged for a number of years, proving his splendid business ability
and executive force in his operations along that line. In 1891 he became his fa-
ther's associate in the purchase and conduct of the Chicago Times, the son assuming
editorial charge. In this, as in the real-estate business, he won success, his con-
nection with the paper continuing from 1891 until 1891. The example of his
ancestors and the family records include such names as Thomas Jefferson, Wil-
liam Henry Harrison and the Breckenridges of Kentucky may have awakened in
him his deep interest in politics. At all events, the same qualities which made his
forebears distinguished political leaders have brought him to a prominence in
municipal affairs not even second to that of his illustrious father. In April, 1897,



230 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

he was chosen mayor of the city and was elected at each biennial election until he
had served four terms. The popularity of the Harrison family has always been
commented upon in press notices, but behind personal popularity there is a busi-
ness ability and executive force and a power of statescraft that has made Carter
H. Harrison the chief executive of his city for five terms. He retired from the
office in 1905 and for six years had no official connection with Chicago politics, al-
though at all times an influential factor in party councils. In 1911 it was said
that there was perhaps but one man who could make democratic success an assured
thing and that was Carter H. Harrison. Once more he accepted the nomination
and against several candidates was elected for a four years' term. He has the
confidence of the people at large. Political leaders and business men know him as
a man who does not break faith, and from his many elections but one deduction can
be gained that the city regards his administration of public affairs as beneficial
to the majority.

On the 14th of December, 1887, Mr. Harrison was married to Miss Edith
Ogden, daughter of Robert N. Ogden, of New Orleans, Louisiana, and to them have
been born two children a son, who is named for his father and grandfather, and
a daughter, Edith. Mrs. Harrison is a lady of liberal culture, prominent in society
circles, and possesses, moreover, considerable literary ability, as is manifest in
some charming stories for children which have come from her pen. She is also
active in charitable work.

Mr. Harrison holds membership with the Sons of the Revolution, the Sons of the
American Revolution, the Society of Colonial Wars, the Society of the Cincinnati
and the Society of the War of 1812. His Chicago club associations are with the
University, Iroquois and the Chicago Yacht Clubs. He belongs also to the Swan
Lake and Huron Mountain Hunting and Fishing Clubs, which indicate something
of the nature of the recreation and pleasures in which he indulges when leisure
permits. The promise of his young manhood has been verified as he has come to
middle life. His powers and abilities have ripened and matured and his judgment
shows the benefits gained from past experience. He is making steady and effect-
ive effort to promote Chicago's welfare without any of the disturbing influences
which result from revolutionary reforms and movements for which the majority
are unfitted.



P. L. UNDERWOOD.

P. L. Underwood, one of the old-time provision men of Chicago and for many
years prominently identified with the packing interests of the city, was a native
of Harwich, Massachusetts, born May 2, 1836, his parents being Nathan and
Rebecea (Bray) Underwood. The father came from an old Massachusetts family
and inherited many of the sturdy traits of character to be found in those people.
He was born July 18, 1794, and was the eldest son of the Rev. Nathan and
Susannah (Lawrence) Underwood. The Rev. Underwood was born in Lexington,
Massachusetts, August 3, 1753, and died in May, 1841. He married Susannah
Lawrence, of Waltham, that state, and they reared a large family. The father




I'. L. UNDERWOOD



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 233

was a Revolutionary soldier who participated in the battle of Bunker Hill and
was among the last to leave the contested field when the enemy took possession of
the ground. He saw continuous service with the Continental troops and was with
Washington at the famous crossing of the Delaware. He likewise participated
in the battles of Trenton and Princeton and after long service was honorably dis-
charged, receiving later a pension as one of the surviving soldiers of the War for
Independence. He afterward continued his education and was graduated from
Harvard College in 1788. He studied for the ministry and in 1792 was settled
at Harwich, Massachusetts, as pastor of the Congregational church, becoming one
of the well known clergymen in that section of Massachusetts. His son, Nathan
Underwood, became one of the well known residents of Barnstable county, Massa-
chusetts. He was a farmer by occupation yet for many years served as squire
and exercised an excellent influence in the community.

P. L. Underwood acquired his education at Harwich Academy in his native
town, where his boyhood days were spent. When about sixteen years of age he
went west, locating in Burlington, Iowa, where he entered the wholesale grocery
and provision house of Thomas Hedge & Company, the senior partner being one
of his relatives. This firm did an extensive business for that day, including the
packing of provisions in the winter season. The fall of 1 855 found a large stock
of provisions on hand and Mr. Underwood was sent to Chicago to dispose of the
surplus, the firm of Hedge & Underwood handling the business in this city. While
not yet twenty-one years of age, Mr. Underwood was able to understand and ap-
preciate the great opportunity in business here and concluded to remain. The
partnership with Mr. Hedge was dissolved and he became associated with
Sawyer, Wallace & Company of New York, large commission dealers. Later the
firm of Underwood, Wallace & Company was organized and still later that of
Underwood & Company. The commission and packing firm of Underwood &
Company continued for some years and then dissolved. Mr. Underwood later
devoted his time and attention to the packing business, having previously purchased
a plant on Halsted street, where he built up a business that he continued to de-
velop under the style of Underwood & Company until the consolidation of this
with the Omaha Packing Company. The business is still carried on under the
name of the Omaha Packing Company and occupies a foremost position among
the enterprises of similar character in the city.

P. L. Underwood was one of the pioneer members of the Chicago Board of
Trade, joining that organization when a membership sold for as low as five dollars.
He was a type of the old-time business man who held to high ideals and mani-
fested a most keen regard for an obligation. When he gave his word or made a
promise it was as sacred to him as if he had given his bond. He was kind-hearted
and genial, actuated by a spirit of religious belief but was never sanctimonious.
His religion was simply a part of his everyday life and actuated him in his re-
lations with his fellowmen. For a quarter of a century he was a trustee of Ply-
mouth Congregational church. Firm in his convictions he held to what he con-
sidered right and while he might yield to argument, he was never a weakling.
While a successful business man, the accumulation of property or wealth was not
his foremost object. He ranked among Chicago's representative citizens, gaining
prominence in trade circles, yet at all times was mindful of the obligations which



234 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

devolved upon him in his relation to his family, his fellowmen and his city. He
retired from active business two years before his death.

Mr. Underwood was first married March 16, 1857, to Miss Hannah M. Ryder,
of Chatham, Massachusetts, and four daughters survive: Anna, who is now Mrs.
James Viles, of Lake Forest, and has two children, Lawrence M. and Helen;
Bertha, who is the wife of E. F. Robbins and resides in Pasadena, California; and
Helen and Florence, both of Lake Forest, Illinois. On the 2d of November, 1876,
P. L. Underwood wedded Mrs. Augusta E. Wallace, who was the widow of Wil-
liam Wallace and bore the maiden name of Augusta Elvira Kimball. She was a
sister of the late Edward A. Kimball and a daughter of Lovell and Elvira (St.
John) Kimball. Mrs. Underwood, through her father, is a descendant of the
Brewster and Bradford families so prominent in the early history of Massachu-
setts, of whom more extended mention will be found in the biography of her
brother, Edward A. Kimball, elsewhere in this volume. Mrs. Underwood resides
in Lake Forest. The death of Mr. Underwood occurred August 28, 1897, in the
same house, where he was born on Cape Cod, and the burial was in Oakwoods
cemetery. From 1 879 until the time of his death his Chicago residence was at
No. 3022 Prairie avenue. The record which Mr. Underwood left is one that ex-
cited for him admiration during his life and has caused his memory to be cherished
since he passed away. Throughout his business career Mr. Underwood bore a
reputation for unassailable integrity and straightforward dealing. He made it
a point always to satisfy his clients, even though he had to sacrifice to greater or
less extent the profits to which he was legitimately entitled. Honesty was ever
his watchword and his record proves that success and straightforward dealing
are not incompatible elements, as so many contend. The record which he leaves
is indeed one of which the family may be proud, for his name stands in trade
circles as a synonym for all that is best and most honorable.



EMMA J. WARREN, M. D.

Dr. Emma J. Warren, teacher, author, philanthropist and surgeon, is the best
known lady physician in Chicago, where she has served the public through the
medium of her chosen profession for more than twenty years, almost night and
day. Her work has extended beyond the limits of Chicago and her reputation
has spread through many states of this country. She is known as an expert in
her business.

Dr. Warren was born near Charlotte, Michigan, on the 24th of August, 1 863.
She is the oldest daughter of Henry Richard and Mary (Baird) Warren. Her
father, a direct descendant of General Joseph Warren of Bunker Hill fame, was
an officer with Sherman in his march to the sea. Dr. Warren was born in a little
log house about two miles out of the city of Charlotte, on the Lansing road. This
was her home until she was five years of age, when her father built a handsome
residence by the side of the log cabin, which Dr. Warren refused to abandon for
the mansion. For several nights she wept with regret at the change of her place
of abode and even yet she longs for a little cottage like the first one she remem-



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 235

bers so dearly. Dr. Warren's education was gained in the Charlotte public schools,
which she attended until the year 1881, when she went to a neighboring state to
attend high school. She graduated at the South Belvidere (111.) grammar school
in the year 1882 and then entered the high school, where she took a three-year
course and in 1885 graduated from the South Belvidere Union high school. Eu-
gene Sullivan, the well and favorably known brother of Roger Sullivan, was a
classmate. Dr. Warren took a course in pedagogy under Professor Elmer E.
Brown, a professor at Berkeley College, who later became director of the United
States bureau of education. She accepted a position as teacher in the graded
schools of Waterman with Dr. Nathan Graves, now a well known Chicago physi-
cian. She taught school for six years and was thoroughly in love with the work
and regretted very much to leave it. But during the summer months she had stud-
ied medicine in the office of Dr. Ephraim Smedley at Belvidere, and, liking the
profession, was determined to become an M. D. In 1890 she entered the North-
western University Women's Medical School, where she studied and served winters
and summers until she graduated in the year 1893. She became assistant to Pro-
fessor Brower in nervous and mental diseases.

Dr. Warren held clinics at the Lincoln Free Dispensary and the Cook County
Hospital, and Dunning Insane Asylum was frequently visited. She served with
the internes at the Woman's and Children's Hospital and the Illinois Eye and Ear
Infirmary and became chief of the maternity clinic at the Lincoln Free Dispensary.
As adjunct professor of gynecology at the Illinois Medical College she lectured
to large classes of young men and it is believed that this work helped her to obtain
a first-class practice in medicine. She also lectured on the subject of hygiene at
the Chicago Commons. Dr. Warren then took up philanthropic work and was a
lecturer at the Chicago Commons. She taught a class of young ladies in nursing
and likewise taught at several other places.

She began the practice of medicine on La Salle avenue at the northwest corner
of Oak street, diagonally opposite the Henrotin Memorial Hospital of the Chicago
Polyclinic. Next year she opened a hospital of her own at the southeast corner
of La Salle avenue and Division street, which she soon had filled with her surgical
patients and moved to the northwest corner of LeMoyne and St. Louis avenues.
Later she removed to her present location at Nos. 3726, 3728, 3730 and 3732 Ellis,
avenue, which is near the lake shore, adjoining the greatest temperance locality
in the world.

Dr. Warren is limiting her practice to diseases of children and women. She
has given the subject most careful consideration and has done considerable study-
ing and work along this line and is kept very busy, commanding double the office
fees charged by most men in the same branch of the profession. She has taken
some time to write for journals and has written a work on diseases of women and
children, another on child nursing, a work on temperance called "Patricus Haut-
boy" and many monographs on medical subjects. Dr. Warren has devised many
surgical instruments for the treatment of diseases of women but in her own prac-
tice seldom uses an instrument. She is a mission worker and a promoter of the
self-support movement among the poor of Chicago. She was an early advocate
of the penny savings bank system, is an ever willing worker to secure employment
for the unemployed and strives to establish the family on correct principles. She



236 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

is an advocate of the fresh air movement to get poor people out among a strong,
healthy class of people in the country at least once a year to give them a chance
to regain health and strength and to learn what the world is doing outside of the
city of Chicago and to add to their knowledge lessons how to live aright for health's
sake.

Dr. Warren is a medical examiner for the Daily News Fresh Air Fund chil-
dren and for the Chicago bureau of charities. She is one of the directors of the
Chicago United Charities. She was one of the first physicians for the Chicago
public school vacation outings and personally conducted train loads of children
to the woods on country trips, being appointed by the first principal, Fred Warren
Smedley. She is well known for her charitable work along these lines, and space
forbids printing her many labors in behalf of the poor of Chicago. She is nearer
the hearts of the families who know her than can be described here.



Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 24 of 74)