Copyright
J. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) Currey.

Chicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) online

. (page 31 of 74)
Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 31 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


age Company, of which he is now president and in which connection he is now
operating three boats. From the foregoing will be seen that he is in control of
mammoth enterprises, his ability placing him in a prominent position. He is
capable of formulating and executing plans of magnitude and his labors have
brought him a success which is most gratifying.

Mr. Pugh was married in Cleveland, Ohio, November 17, 1887, to Miss Nellie
Kirker, a daughter of John Kirker, of Albany, New York, and the}' reside at No.
70 Goethe street. Mr. Pugh is very prominent and well known in fraternal and
club circles. He is a member of the blue lodge of Masons, the chapter and the
commandery, and also of Medinah Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is likewise,
connected with the Knights of Pythias. He belongs also to the Chamber of Com-
merce, the Chicago Athletic Club, the Illinois Athletic Club, the South Shore Country
Club, the Chicago Automobile Club and the Rotary Club. He is a director of the
Chicago Kennel Club. He is commodore of the Pistakee Yacht Club at Pistakee
Lake, and also a member of the Chicago Yacht Club. His principal recreation
is yachting and he is the owner of Disturber II, the fastest thirty-two feet boat
in the world. He was on the American team of 1911 at Huntington Bay, composed
of Dixie IV, Disturber II and Vita, which defeated the British team, the Pioneer
Maple Leaf. In yachting circles he is not only prominent but popular, his
camaraderie winning him the friendship and good will of all. In business circles,
too, his well managed affairs have brought him to a prominent position among
the capitalists of the city.



ROBERT H. HARVEY.

Robert H. Harvey, president and treasurer of the firm of D. B. Fisk & Com-
pany, was born December 12, 1868, in the family home at the corner of Harmon
court and Michigan avenue, his parents being T. W. and Maria (Hardman) Har-
vey. At the usual age he entered the Chicago public schools and afterward became
a student at the Harvard School of Chicago, while his professional training was
received in the Northwestern University Medical School, from which he was gradu-
ated in 1894. He practiced medicine for twelve years, attaining recognition as a
specialist in the treatment of children's diseases. At one time he was treasurer
of the Chicago Medical Society, was pathologist to St. Luke's Hospital and Mercy
Hospital and was attending physician to The Chicago Orphan Asylum. He retired
from the practice of medicine, however, in 1906, to become connected with the
house of D. B. Fisk & Company as treasurer. His business ability proved equal
to his professional skill and he has since given his attention to the active manage-



292 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

ment of that concern, becoming president in 1907 and since occupying the dual
position of president and treasurer.

On the 5th of April, 1898, in Chicago, Dr. Harvey was married to Miss Bertha
Fisk Botsford and unto them were born three children: Beatrice Botsford, Benuet
Botsford and Roberta Fisk. The family residence is at No. 2100 Calumet avenue,
Mr. Harvey having spent his entire life in the first ward. He still continues to
hold membership in various medical societies, is a member of the Masonic fraternity,
belongs to the Sigma Chi, a college fraternity, and also has membership relations
with the University, Glen View and South Shore Country Clubs. He and his wife
are well known in the leading social circles of the city and in professional and
business ranks he has proven his individual worth and his capacity for large and
successful management.



JOHN C. WILLIAMS.

The position of attorney for the sanitary district of Chicago is one of great
importance, as it involves the protection of the health of more than two millions of
people and calls for practical knowledge of law and procedure of the courts acquired
only by years of close application. This important qualification is possessed in
ample measure by John C. Williams, who for more than four years past has most
acceptably discharged the duties of the office above named. He was prepared for
his responsibility by thirteen years of practice in Chicago and also as assistant at-
torney for the sanitary board. He is of Welsh descent and was born on a farm
near Lime Springs, Iowa, May 8, 1873, a son of Owen E. and Ann (Thomas) Wil-
liams, both of whom were born in Wales, the father in 1832 and the mother in 1834.
They emigrated to the United States about 1858 and first located in Racine county
Wisconsin, where Mr. Williams engaged in farming. About 1870 he removed to
Howard county, Iowa, where he died in 1901. The mother is still living and makes
her home at Lime Springs.

In the public schools of Iowa and South Dakota John C. Williams secured hi*
preliminary education, graduating from the Aberdeen, South Dakota, high school
in 1891. While pursuing his high-school course he taught two terms of country
school, beginning as a teacher when he was only sixteen years of age. In 1892.
having decided to devote his attention to law, he came to Chicago and secured a
position in the law office of McMurvy & Job and subsequently matriculated in the
Chicago College of Law, the law department of Lake Forest University, from which
he was graduated in 1894, with the degree of LL. B. He was admitted to the
Chicago bar in June of the same year and for four years was connected with the
office of Dent & Whitman. In 1901 he began to practice alone and from 1904 to
1905 was associated in practice with Emery S. Walker. He made a specialty of
real-estate law and recovered judgment for the plaintiff in the case of Hinchliff vs.
the Brick Manufacturers Association for fifteen thousand dollars for damages re-
sulting from boycott. This was one of the first cases of the kind which was carried
through to a conclusion and established the right to recall for illegal combinations
to restrain competition. In March, 1906, Mr. Williams was appointed as assistant




JOHN C. WILLIAMS



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 295

attorney to the sanitary board and since June 10, 1907, has filled the position of
attorney for the board. Under his administration the expenses of the legal depart-
ment have been reduced practically one-half and the efficiency has been greatly im-
proved. When he took charge many important cases had been pending in the courts
for years but a large number of these suits have now been disposed of and those
remaining on the trial calendars will be ready for trial when reached on the call.
This speaks in no uncertain language as to the energy and ability with which the
law department of the sanitary board is now conducted.

On the 16th of January, 1896, Mr. Williams was married, at Evanston, to Miss
Lillian L. Whipple, a daughter of Henry Whipple, a sketch of whom appears else-
where in this work, and they are the parents of two children: Gladys, who was born
August 12, 1898; and Helen, born March 17, 1900. Having from the beginning
of his professional career devoted his attention faithfully and conscientiously to his
work, he gained high standing at the bar and now ranks as one of the most com-
petent attorneys of Chicago. Thoroughly conversant with the principles of law,
honorable and high-minded in all the different phases of life, he is respected by all
with whom he comes into contact and conducts the business that necessarily arises
in his department in such a manner as to give entire satisfaction to the people of his
adopted city.



FREDERIC ADRIAN DELANO.

Although born at Hong Kong, China, September 10, 1863, the ancestral records
of Frederic A. Delano are connected with the early colonial history of America.
His parents were Warren Delano and Catherine Robbins Lyman, both natives of
Massachusetts. Warren Delano, a tea merchant, was engaged in China trade and
spent over thirty years of his life in China. He was a member of the firm of Rus-
sell & Company, having houses in all the principal cities of the empire. In 1867
he retired from active business life and returning to America made his home at
Newburgh, New York, on the Hudson, until his death, which occurred in 1899, at
the age of ninety years. On the paternal side his ancestors were French Hugue-
nots and English pilgrims, the latter settling near Plymouth, Massachusetts, in
the early colonization of that section of the country. The American progenitor of
the Delano family was Philippe de Lannoy, who came from Leyden, Holland, on
the ship Fortune, in 1621 and settled at Plymouth. From him Frederic A. Delano
is a direct descendant in the seventh generation, the line being through Jonathan
(2), Thomas (3), Ephraim (4), Warren (5), Warren (6) and Frederic A. (7).
Through intermarriage he is also connected with many of the oldest families of
New England, among whom are those of Church, Warren, Allerton, Cushman,
Hathaway and Swift. On the maternal side Mr. Delano comes of English and
Scotch lineage, his ancestors in that line settling at Boston and Salem at various
periods between 1630 and 1700. His mother, who was a native of Northampton,
Massachusetts and a member of a well known family, was a representative of the
seventh generation of descendants of Jonathan Lyman, who came to America dur-
ing the first half of the seventeenth century, and was also connected with the old



296 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

Massachusetts families of Strong, Dwight, Hutchinson, Clark, Robbins and Mur-
ray, including two of the early governors of that state. She died in 1897 at sev-
enty-three years of age. Our subject was the tenth in a family of eleven children,
of whom two sons and four daughters survive, all except Frederic A. residing in
the east.

Frederic A. Delano spent his boyhood days at Newburgh, New York, receiving
his early education at Adams Academy, Quincy, Massachusetts. He graduated
from Harvard College with degree of A. B. in 1885. Unlike many men of liberal
college training, he did not regard his intellectual development as something op-
posed to manual labor, but took up work of the latter character, imbued with strong
purpose and laudable ambition, his thorough education enabling him to better direct
his efforts. Soon after he had completed his University course he began his career
in railroad work, and has devoted his entire life to that one field of endeavor. He
first entered the service of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company,
August 1, 1885, with an engineering party in Colorado. Two months later he
entered the shops of the same road at Aurora, Illinois, as a machinist's apprentice,
and in April, 1887, was temporarily appointed acting engineer of tests at Aurora.
He was next advanced to the position of assistant to the second vice president at
Chicago, in April, 1889, then to superintendent of freight terminals at Chicago,
in July, 1890, and to superintendent of motive power at Chicago, February 1, 1899.
On July 1, 1901, Mr. Delano was made general manager of the Chicago Burlington
& Quincy Railroad, which position he held until January 10, 1905, when he re-
signed to engage in general consultation work. For a short time he was consulting
engineer to the war department in relation to railroads in the Philippine Islands.
May 1, 1905, Mr. Delano became identified with the Wabash system as president
of the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad Company and the Wabash-Pittsburg-Ter-
minal Railway, and vice president of the Wabash Railroad Company. Six months
later, on October 5, 1905, he became president of the latter.

There is no position that demands such careful systematization, such accuracy,
such harmonious working as railway management. Time and effort and purpose
must coincide and with perfect adjustment must reach the results that are to be
attained. Understanding every department of railway management and operation
as the result of over a quarter of a century's experiences in its different depart-
ments, Mr. Delano brings to the management of the Wabash railroad the keenest
discrimination, the most practical efforts and the most progressive and far-sighted
policy. He has also been the chairman of the board of directors of the Metropol-
itan West Side Elevated Railroad Company, of Chicago, and is interested in various
other enterprises. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers,
the American Institute of Mining Engineers, the Western Society of Engineers,
American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Franklin Institute, the
American Master Mechanics' Association, and the American Master Car Builders'
Association. He served as president of the American Railway Association from
1907 to 1909 and also of the Western Railway Club for one term. He has served
as a member of the board of overseers of Harvard College, and as president of the
board of directors of the Chicago Lying-in Hospital.

Mr. Delano has taken a keen interest in civic affairs and has served as president
of the Chicago Commercial Club. He is a member of the Chicago Plan Commis-



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 297

sion of the city, and has been prominently identified with the movement which it
represents, since its conception in 1907. While in political circles his efforts have
been along the line of influence rather than of direct activity, he has served his
city as a member of the Harbor Commission of the city of Chicago, under appoint-
ment of Mayor Busse, in January, 1908.

Mr. Delano is a Unitarian in religious faith and vice president of the American
Unitarian Association. He holds to liberal and charitable views while seeking to
secure the adopton of standards that will work for higher manhood and better
citizenship. He holds membership in the Chicago Club, the Union League, the
University, the Chicago Literary, the Commercial, and other social clubs of Chi-
cago, also of St. Louis and of Pittsburg.

On November 22, 1888, Mr. Delano was married, in Chicago, to Miss Matilda
Peasley, daughter of J. C. Peasley. Five children have been born to them, of
whom three are living, Catherine, Louise and Laura. The family residence is at
510 Wellington avenue.



GEORGE WILLIAM DIXON.

George William Dixon is secretary and treasurer of the Arthur Dixon Transfer
Company but his activities reach far beyond the actual limits of business and have
left their impress upon the political history of the state and the social life of Chi-
cago, his native city. In the pursuit of his education he attended the public schools
until graduated from the old West Division high school, after which he entered
upon a classical course in the Northwestern University, there winning his Bachelor
of Arts degree upon his graduation with the class of 1889. He afterward took
up the study of law at Northwestern and was graduated in 1892 with the LL. B.
degree. For five years thereafter he practiced his profession, his work being largely
in the capacity of receiver for various corporations following the financial depres-
sion of 1893. In that year, however, he abandoned the practice of law and became
identified with the Arthur Dixon Transfer Company in the conduct of a business
which was founded by his father and had grown to extensive proportions. It is
today the foremost enterprise of the kind in the country and the executive ability
and comprehensive legal knowledge of its present secretary and treasurer have
contributed in no small measure to its success. Throughout his business career
George W. Dixon has been actuated by a spirit of progress, recognizing at all times
the possibilities before him and reaching out to utilize these to their fullest extent.

While widely known in this connection, Mr. Dixon has perhaps an even broader
acquaintance in the field of politics. From his youth he has been interested in the
important problems that have been before the country for settlement and his study
of the questions and issues of the day has led him to give earnest support to the
republican party. He was chosen to represent his district in the state senate, cov-
ering the term from 1902 until 1906, and as a member of the upper house did
much active work in support of legislation which he deemed of value to the com-
monwealth. He also served on the staff of Governor Richard Yates with the rank
of colonel and later was chosen presidential elector from the first Illinois district,



298 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

was made chairman of the electoral college of the state and gave his support to
William H. Taft. At one time he did active work as a member of the committee
on arrangements to prepare for the reception of the delegates to the republican
national convention of 1908. This work was thoroughly and systematically accom-
plished even to the smallest detail, and all the arrangements met with the hearty
approval of those concerned. Mr. Dixon is identified with the Union League Club,
Chicago Club, Chicago Athletic Association, University Club, City Club, Twentieth
Century Club and the Hamilton Club. He has been a leading spirit in the political
and reformatory work inaugurated by the organization last named, of which he
is a life member and first vice president, as well as chairman of its political action
committee. He has also been chairman of the entertainment committee and secre-
tary of the club, and at the time of the peace jubilee held in honor of President
McKinley, acted as secretary of the banquet. Mr. Dixon has been active and
influential in all movements tending to civic reform and was a delegate to the Chi-
cago charter convention of 1907. He retains an active membership in the Illinois
State Bar Association and belongs to the Masonic order and Knights Templar.

On March 2, 1903, Senator Dixon was united in marriage with Miss Marion
E. Martin, and his residence is at No. 2706 Michigan boulevard. The two children
born to this union are Marion Martin and George William Dixon, Jr. Mr. Dixon
is a leading Methodist, having served as superintendent of the Sunday school of
the First Methodist church for many years and president of the Chicago Methodist
Social Union in 1901-02. His activities are thus varied and touch the general
interests of society in all the phases which have to do with the questions of the
present and are looking toward the attainment of conditions for the future.



CAREY CULBERTSON, M. D.

In taking up the profession of medicine Dr. Carey Culbertson has carried out
a purpose to which he has adhered from childhood. In this he received the en-
couragement of his father, Dr. Samuel D. Culbertson, a prominent physician,
whose example has encouraged and stimulated the son, while individual labor
has brought the subject of this review to a prominent place in professional ranks.
He comes of a family of Scotch origin, although the branch to which he belongs
was established in Ireland about 1650. The next generation came to the United
States, settling in the Atlantic coast country about 1680. Dr. Samuel D. Culbert-
son was born in Pennsylvania and in 1866 became a resident of Illinois, settling at
Piper City, where he practiced his profession to the time of his death. He had
just entered the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia when the Civil war
was inaugurated and he put aside his text-books in order to enlist. He participated
in a number of important engagements, including the battles of the Army of the
Potomac, Chancellorsville and Antietam, and at the second named was wounded.
Some of his ancestors had been soldiers in the Revolutionary war and also of
the war of 1812. Dr. Samuel D. Culbertson was married in Illinois to Clara
Kate Culver, who was born in Pennsylvania and is living at Piper City, Illinois.
She had two brothers who were soldiers in the Civil war Joseph Z. Culver having




DR. CAREY CULBKRTSOX



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 301

been captain of infantry, while Dr. Ira Culver, who was a graduate of the Uni-
versity of Virginia, at Richmond, enlisted as a surgeon and was under the com-
mand of General Lawton. Subsequently he was with General Custer in the west
and afterward was stationed at Fort Worth, Texas. He is now practicing medicine
in Texas. Unto Dr. and Mrs. Samuel D. Culbertson were born four children:
John C., a banker at Piper City, Illinois; Dr. Carey Culbertson, of this review;
Helen, a graduate of Monmouth College, of Monmouth, Illinois ; and Josephine,
the wife of Dr. R. S. McCaughey, of Hoopeston, Illinois, by whom she has one son,
Thomas.

Dr. Carey Culbertson was born at Piper City, Illinois, October 5, 1871. and
there pursued his education in the public schools until he reached the age of six-
teen years, when he entered the Boys Academy at Rochester, New York, from which
he was graduated in 1891. He then passed the state board examination to enter
Cornell but changed his plans and came to Chicago, where he matriculated in the
Northwestern University at Evanston, from which he was graduated in 1895
with the Bachelor of Arts degree. However, he had entered the medical depart-
ment in 1894 and there completed a four years' course by graduation in 1898, at
which time the M. D. degree was conferred upon him. In his early youth he had
decided to follow in his father's professional footsteps and never for a moment
abandoned this resolution. Subsequent to his graduation he spent one year as in-
terne in the Chicago Lying-in Hospital and then became a general practitioner of
Piper City, Illinois, in connection with his father, there remaining until 1903,
when he went abroad. After doing postgraduate work at Vienna he returned in
1904 and opened an office in Chicago, where he has since been located. His pro-
fessional labors have been attended with a substantial measure of success and he
has gained more than local recognition through his writings for several medical
journals. He is a member of the staff of the Presbyterian Hospital, also of the
consulting staff of Cook County Hospital and of the Mary Thompson Hospital.
He belongs to the American Academy of Medicine, the Chicago Pathological So-
ciety, the Chicago Society of Medical History and the Mississippi Valley Medical
Association. He also belongs to the Chicago Medical Society, the Illinois State
Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and through the proceed-
ings of those organizations keeps in touch with the advanced work and thought of
the profession.

Dr. Culbertson, on the 20th of June, 1900, was united in marriage to Miss
Katherine Graham, a daughter of General and Mrs. Harvey Graham, of Mani-
towoc. Wisconsin. Her father participated in the siege of Vicksburg during the
Civil war, being at that time colonel of the Twenty-second Iowa Volunteer In-
fantry, on which occpsion he was successful in capturing one of the rebel flags.
He was also wounded in the battle of Wilson Creek on the same day on which
General Lyon was killed. He died January 16, 1912, in Chicago, where it had
been his custom to spend the winter season at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Cul-
bertson. He was a member of the Loyal Legion and was buried by that organiza-
tion. Mrs. Culbertson was born in Iowa City, Iowa, and pursued her education
in the schools of that place, in Manitowoc and in the Northwestern University at
Evanston, being a graduate of the Cumnock School of Oratory. Following the
completion of her course she taught in the Cumnock School of Oratory at Los An-



302 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

geles, California, and later had a studio at Kansas City. In the Lawrence Uni-
versity of Appleton, Wisconsin, she became a member of the faculty as professor
of oratory. She is a prominent member of the West End Woman's Club and in 1912
was chairman of its program committee. She is also a member of the board of the
Presbyterian Hospital. Unto Dr. and Mrs. Culbertson have been born two chil-
dren: John Carey, born October 24, 1901 ; and Virginia Graham, August 6, 1905.

Dr. Culbertson is a member of the Medical Reserve Corps of the United States,
holding the rank of first lieutenant. He belongs to the Army and Navy Club of
Washington, D. C., the Illinois Club on Ashland boulevard, Chicago, and the Thera-
peutic Club. The breadth and nature of his interests is further indicated by the fact
that he holds membership in the Presbyterian church and is also a member of the
Art Institute. A study of the political issues and questions has led to his support
of the republican p&rty and his activities and his lines of thought are both broad,
keeping him in touch with the world's progress and making his a well balanced
nature. He enjoys a game of golf which affords him outdoor life and exercise



Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 31 of 74)