Copyright
J. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) Currey.

Chicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) online

. (page 37 of 74)
Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 37 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


growth and prosperity of Chicago, but rather stimulated him to make investments
at the more advantageous terms offered under such circumstances. His conserva-
tism 'was such that he met with no reverses of consequence during his business career
and his fortune grew steadily from the date of his coming to Chicago to that of
his death.

In 1835 Mr. Peck was married to Miss Mary K. Wythe, a Philadelphia lady of
English parentage and a niece of the celebrated Baptist divine, Dr. Stoughton of
that city. To Mr. and Mrs. Peck were born eight children, four of whom died in
infancy. Those that lived to adult age are as follows: Walter L. Peck married
Miss Mary A. Talcott, a daughter of E. B. Talcott, and passed away in 1908.
Clarence Ives married Miss Mary B. Field, a daughter of Spafford C.
and Martha A. (Cooper) Field, by whom he has three children: Philip F. W., a
graduate of Yale with the class of 1907, who is now secretary of the Knickerbocker
Ice Company of Chicago; Winfield, a student at Armour Institute of Technology,
in the class of 1911 ; and Martha F. Harold S. Peck died in 1884. Ferdinand W.
married Miss Tilla C. Spalding, a daughter of Captain William A. Spalding, and
has the following children: Ferdinand W., Jr.; Clarence Kent; Walter V.; Spalding;



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 357

Buda, the wife of Charles H. Simms, of Dayton, Ohio; and Arline, who married
Robert Bien, of California. An extended mention of Ferdinand W. Peck is given
elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Philip F. W. Peck, the wife of our subject, was
called to her final rest in 1899.



HENRY EVERETT GREENEBAUM.

The banking house of Greenebaum Sons owes its success and well established
position in large measure to the efforts of Henry Everett Greenebaum, the senior
partner. Broad and practical business experience well qualify him for the success-
ful conduct of the business with which he was the founder in 1877. He was at
that time a young man of about twenty-three years. His birth occurred in Chi-
cago, on the 1st of September, 1854, at the family home, then at Fifth avenue and
Van Buren street. His parents were Elias and Rosina Greenebaum, the former
identified with banking interests in Chicago from 1848. Jacob Greenebaum, Sr.,
the grandfather, was one of the early residents of this city and here passed away
in 1870.

Henry E. Greenebaum pursued his education in Chicago and graduated from
the Jones school in 1867, from the Chicago high school with the class of 1871, the
Chicago Business College in 1872 and then studied further under private tutors.
After his business course was- completed he became a clerk in the bank of Greene-
baum & Foreman, of which his father was senior partner. His taste and inclina-
tion seemed in that direction and that his choice of a business career was well
made, is indicated in the excellent success that has attended his efforts. After a
short time he accepted a position with the First National Bank of Chicago but in
1873 had an opportunity to secure a position in a New York bank and removed
to that city, where he had four years' experience in the bond and foreign depart-
ments. On the 7th of May, 1877, he returned to Chicago and soon thereafter
founded the banking house of Greenebaum Sons, his partners being his brothers,
Moses E. and James E. Greenebaum. Mr. Greenebaum is at present vice presi-
dent of Greenebaum Sons Bank & Trust Company. Their location is at the corner
of Clark and Randolph streets and they represent a large clientele, having won
for themselves a prominent position in the financial circles of the city.

On the 15th of April, 1879, Mr. Greenebaum was united in marriage to Miss
Helen F. Leopold, a daughter of the late Samuel F. Leopold, of the firm 'of Leopold
& Austrian, and for many years president of the Lake Superior & Lake Michigan
Transportation Company. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Greenebaum have been born three
children: Carrie G., the wife of Samuel Nast; Walter J., who has charge of the
bond department of the firm of Greenebaum Sons ; and John, who is in charge of
the mortgage and investment department of this firm.

Mr. Greenebaum gives his political allegiance to the republican party and
holds membership in Sinai Temple, over which Dr. Emil G. Hirsch presides. He is
a member of the Lake Shore Country Club, Standard Club, the Press Club and the
Alliance Francaise. He has made many trips abroad, traveling extensively both
in Europe and America. He represented Chicago interests at the Paris Exposition
in 1900 and has a large acquaintance in foreign countries. He is a man of the



358 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

world in that his interests cover a wide range and in his familiarity with important
points abroad. He has visited the principal places of historic and modern interest,
gaining that knowledge of ancient, medieval and modern history that can never be
fully obtained through the mere perusal of books.



GENERAL CHARLES WILSON DREW.

The life associations of General Charles Wilson Drew were those which con-
nected him with men of distinction, of learning, of progress and honor. He was
recognized as their friend and peer. He made for himself a creditable position in
business circles and came to be most highly respected because of the fidelity which
he displayed to every obligation which he assumed or cause which he espoused. He
had almost reached the age of sixty-eight years when death claimed him, and he
passed away at Chicago on the 9th of April, 1903. He was born at Cato, Cayuga
county, New York, April 19, 1835, his parents being Jacob Kittridge and Catherine
(Sherman) Drew. His early education was acquired in the country schools near
Meridian, New York, and his early experiences were those of the farm, for he
was reared amid rural surroundings. What has been termed the "glittering oppor-
tunities of the city" drew him, but he found them substantial and in their improve-
ment made steady progress. His initial experience along commercial lines was in
the book store of John Ivison, at Auburn, New York, where he remained until 1854,
when he made the long and wearisome journey across the continent to' the Pacific
coast. After a sojourn of four years in the far west he returned by way of the
isthmus route in 1859. While in California he was with the Wells Fargo Express
Company. He was planning to return to that state when the Civil war was inau-
gurated and with patriotic ardor he offered his services to the country in defense of
the Union, joining the army in August, 1861. He was appointed first lieutenant
of the Seventy-fifth New York Infantry and began field service at Fort Pickens,
Florida. After the capture of New Orleans his regiment occupied Pensacola and
from that point was ordered to the Crescent city and for a time was attached to
Weitzel's brigade. Being transferred to Donaldsonville, Louisiana, he was given
jurisdiction over the district of La Fourche parish and while thus serving on de-
tail he was authorized and instructed to enlist and organize the Seventy-sixth United
States Colored Infantry of which he was commissioned colonel on the 25th of March,
1863. In May of the same year he succeeded Major General C. C. Augur as com-
mandant at Baton Rouge, retaining this important consignment until the fall of
Port Hudson when he was placed in command of Forts Jackson and St. Phillip, be-
low New Orleans. Later he was ordered to Port Hudson and when General Canby
was preparing his movement against Mobile Colonel Drew was given command of
the Third Brigade of the First Division of United States Cavalry Troops and dur-
ing the campaign led his brigade in the assault on the defenses of Mobile, resulting
in gaining possession of the controlling point, for which gallant achievement he was
brevetted brigadier general of volunteers on the 26th of March, 1865. His campaign
included an advance to Montgomery, Alabama, from which city he returned to Mobile
and later to New Orleans, where in August of the same year the Confederacy having




GEN. CHARLES W. DREW



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 361

collapsed, his resignation was tendered and accepted and he was honorably dis-
charged, thus terminating a military career that justly entitles him to a patriot's
honors.

War brought to many soldiers not only a training in arms but also wider ex-
perience and knowledge. Contact with men and officers from all parts of the coun-
try diffused a general knowledge of the country and its conditions that years of study
would hardly have brought. General Drew's attention was directed to Chicago and
with notable prescience he recognized its commercial future. Thereafter he deter-
mined to make the city his home and turned his attention to fire insurance in which
he at once took high rank, remaining in active connection therewith until his life's
labors were ended. The Loyal Legion in its "In Memoriam" said: "General Drew
regarded his chosen profession as second to none and, true to this conviction, he
did not hesitate at any personal sacrifice to maintain the highest standard of effi-
ciency and integrity in the various underwriters' associations with which he was
connected and was largely instrumental in creating. The vast insuring community
in which he lived and worked can never know what benefits have come to it through
his influence and tireless energy, which secured better building laws and better fire
protection. In the performance of a duty no obstacle was insurmountable; his
honesty and sincerity were unassailable; his loyalty to his friends and professional
co-workers commanded the admiration of all. He discharged to the best of his
ability every trust confided to his care. His life may be briefly epitomized with
these words: "He was faithful." In the conduct of the fire insurance business Mr.
Drew became a member of the firm of Miller & Drew and the business following
the death of the senior partner was conducted under the firm name of Charles W.
Drew & Company, the junior partner being his wife's brother, Stanly Fleetwood.
Along legitimate and progressive lines the business was developed and the firm
came to be recognized as one of the strongest in the field of fire insurance in Chicago.
Mr. Drew was also one of the founders of the fire insurance patrol.

In Chicago, on the 31st of October, 1867, Mr. Drew was united in marriage to
Miss Anna Stanly Fleetwood, the daughter of Stanly Hall and Mary Jane (Finlay)
Fleetwood, both of whom were natives of Baltimore, where they were reared and
married, and of whom additional facts follow.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Drew was born a daughter, Ida Fleetwood Drew, who was
married September 14, 1901, to Bertrand Walker, a member of the law firm of
Glennon, Gary, Walker & Howe.

General Drew was a republican in state and national issues, and while not a
politician or office seeker, he took a keen interest in the success of his party and
the selection of competent, honest officials. He served in the Chicago common coun-
cil from 1885 to 1887, but refused the nomination for mayor. He was ever most
devoted to the city's welfare, however, and his cooperation could be counted as a
tangible asset in support of measures and movements that gave substantially to
the city's upbuilding. He was prominent in several of the leading clubs, including
the Union League, Calumet, Washington Park and Glenview Golf Clubs, and was
also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Loyal Legion
of the United States. Grace Episcopal' church numbered him among its valued rep-
resentatives and his cooperation could always be counted upon to further its in-
terests. He belonged to the Art Institute and was a charter member of the Calu-



362 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

met Club. His nature was extremely social and he held friendship inviolable. He
possesed a fondness for the study of the sciences and his reading along many lines
gave him a mental grasp and a breadth of knowledge that classed him with the
strong intellects of the city. He grasped opportunity when it was presented, either
for his own benefit or the benefit of others, and no one questioned his allegiance or
loyalty to the city. In all municipal affairs he displayed the same fidelity which
characterized his service on southern battlefields in the Civil war. The Chicago
Underwriters Association, of which he was the president from 1885 to 1886, at their
special meeting to take action on the death of General Charles W. Drew, prepared
a memoir, which in part is as follows : "His record among us has been that ot a
man of fine mental endowment and of positive opinions, which were alwa3's on
the side of truth and righteousness. He has been active in every effort tending to
the building up and the strengthening of fire underwriting interests, took prominent
part in organizing and establishing our patrol, did large service in the organization
of the Chicago Fire Underwriters Association in 1885 and in more ways than we can
mention since that time has been a tower of strength to our profession, and one to
whom we have looked in time of stress for counsel and guidance. For these things
we are grateful and his memory is dear to us."



JULIUS ROSENWALD.

Julius Rosen wald is the president of the largest and most widely known mail
order house in the world that of Sears, Roebuck & Company, and yet business activ-
ity represents but one phase of his career. He is equally well known by reason of his
extensive charities, for his pleasure in his success has come to him through the op-
portunity that it has afforded him to aid his fellowmen. A philanthropic spirit has
prompted him to reach out helpfully to many organized movements for uplifting
humanity in a material, intellectual and moral way, yet to see Mr. Rosenwald in
his business office one would think that his every thought was concentrated upon
the great problems of commerce and finance. It is this power of concentrating
upon the task or interests in hand that has been one of the elements in his progress
along both business and philanthropic lines. He was born in Springfield, Illinois,
August 12, 1862, a son of Samuel and Augusta (Hammerslough) Rosenwald. The
father was born in Westphalen, Germany, in 1820, and served in the German army
ere his emigration to the United States in 1854. He was for a period a resident of
Baltimore, Maryland, where in 1857 he married Augusta Hammerslough, who was
born near Bremen, Germany, in 1833, and is now living in Chicago. Samuel Rosen-
wald was for many years a leading merchant of Springfield, Illinois, being well
known in commercial circles in that city for twenty-five consecutive years, from
1861 until 1886. In the latter year he became identified with a wholesale clothing
business in Chicago and as a member of the firm of Rosenwald & Weil, so continued
until 1899.

The success of the father stimulated in the son a desire to reach a point of
prominence in commercial circles. His early education was acquired in the public
schools of his native city and his knowledge has been augmented through private



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 363

reading, study and broad travel. Moreover he has learned many valuable lessons in
the school of experience, particularly those which have brought him recognition
of the difficulties and obstacles that many men encounter and which have prompted
him therefore to put forth a helping hand. He started his business career in New
York city when a youth of sixteen years, accepting a position with his uncles, Ham-
merslough Brothers, wholesale clothiers. For six years he remained in the eastern
metropolis, making continuous advancement, and thus became better qualified for
the larger responsibilities which have devolved upon him during the period of his
connection with commercial interests in Chicago. A resolute purpose has enabled
him to carry forward to successful completion whatever he has undertaken and he
has never brooked obstacles that could be overcome by persistent energy and ef-
fort.

During the latter part of 1885 Mr. Rosenwald came to Chicago and, entering
business circles, was first the senior partner in the wholesale clothing firm of Rosen-
wald & Weil, which he organized. To the management of this business he devoted
himself with great success until 1895, when he severed his active connection with
that house to become a member of the firm of Sears, Roebuck & Company, of which
he was vice president from 1900 until 1908. He was also treasurer until 1909,
when he was elected to the presidency of that and affiliated companies and has since
been at the head of this mammoth establishment. The house is today known
throughout the length and breadth of the land, its ramifying trade interests reach-
ing into every section of the country. Mr. Rosenwald has surrounded himself with
an able corps of assistants, the different departments being in charge of exception-
ally competent men. Moreover, in his commercial career he has always recognized
the fact that satisfied patrons are the best advertisement. The plant has been re-
moved from one place to another to secure more commodious quarters and within
the past few years has been established on the west side, where a mammoth build-
ing was erected and where about ten thousand employes are found daily at work.
The growth of the business necessitates a night shift in some departments, and
something of the immense volume of trade is indicated by the immense procession
of mail wagons that are sent each morning and evening to the postoffice loaded to
their capacity with mail bearing directly upon the trade. Fifty thousand to sev-
enty-five thousand letters are received daily for months at a time.

Mr. Rosenwald resides with his family at No. 4901 Ellis avenue. He was
married in Chicago, April 8. 1890, to Miss Augusta Nusbaum, of Chicago, and
unto them have been born five children: Lessing, Adele, Edith, Marion and William.

Mr. Rosenwald is very prominent socially and is a valued member of the Stand-
ard Club, the Ravisloe, Idlcwild, Lake Shore Country, Press, the Chicago Automo-
bile and the Union League Clubs. He is of the Jewish faith and is president of
the Associated Jewish Charities, and yet his humanity is too broad to be limited by
any race or nationality and his aid is extended in many directions, where good work
is being done in the name of charity or religion. He is also the vice president of the
Nationel Conference of Jewish Charities and has been actively interested in an ef-
fort to federate the Jewish charitable organizations of various cities along the line
of the Associated Jewish Charities of Chicago. He is likewise the vice president
and a member of the executive committee of the United Charities of Chicago and
this is one of the evidences of a broadmindedness which commands for him the



364 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

respect, admiration and honor of all people and of all creeds. Of the Sinai con-
gregation he is vice president and is a director of the Chicago Hebrew Institute,
which has also honored him with its presidency. He is a director of the Religious
Education Association and of the Jewish Home Finding Society. His official con-
nections extend to Rush Medical College, Tuskeegee Institute, the Glenwood School
for Boys, the Immigrants Protective League and the Chicago Grand Opera Com-
pany, of all of which he is a trustee. He has been a liberal contributor to the
Young Men's Christian Association work and is especially interested in the estab-
lishment of branches of that organization among colored men. He has often made
mention of his recognition of the fact that the association throws around a boy at
a critical age those influences which reclaim him for an upright, honorable manhood
and citizenship. He is chairman of the Bureau of Public Efficiency and is active
in local reform movements along political lines, taking a keen interest in all that
affects the progress and welfare of the city. He is one of the directors of the
Peace Society and a member of the executive committee of the National Citizens
League, an organization for the promotion of a sound banking system, and of the
executive committee of the Chicago Plan Commission and the Civic Federation. He
enjoys golf and tennis as a source of recreation and when the demands of his busi-
ness and public activities permit him leisure he indulges his love of travel. His life
has constantly reached out in constantly broadening lines of activity and usefulness
and has become an appreciative force in the world for good. There is nothing
narrow nor contracted in his life, his thought or his purpose. The doctrine of the
brotherhood of the race is to him a matter of reality and every strong belief of his
life has found its expression in his conduct.



ANDREWS ALLEN.

Andrews Allen, president of the Allen & Garcia Company, in Chicago, with of-
fices in the McCormick building, was born in Madison, Wisconsin, January 11, 1870.
The ancestry of the family in the paternal line is traced back to 1640 when repre-
sentatives of the name came from England and settled in Massachusetts. From that
time until 1 865 the ancestral home was maintained in New England but in the latter
year, following the Civil war, William F. Allen, the father of Andrews Allen, re-
moved westward to Wisconsin and as professor of Latin and history was connected
with the University of Wisconsin until his death. Mr. Allen in conjunction with his
brother, Professor Joseph Henry Allen and Professor J. B. Greenough of Harvard
were the authors of the Allen and Greenough Latin series, and he was recognized
as one of the foremost educators of the middle west. He was born in Northboro.
Massachusetts, and passed away on the 9th of December, 1889. His wife bore
the maiden name of Margaret Andrews and is now living in Madison, Wisconsin.
She, too, is of English lineage, descended from the pilgrims who came to the new
world as Mayflower passengers.

Andrews Allen pursued his education in a private school in Newburyport, Mass-
achusetts, and the high schools of his native city; and in the University of Wisconsin.
he completed the engineering course by graduation with the class of 1891. During




ANDREWS ALLEN



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 367

his college days he became a member of the Beta Theta Pi. Following his gradua-
tion he was for one month connected with the United States Geological service in
northern Michigan, after which he spent eight years with the Edgemoor Bridge
Works at Wilmington, Delaware, in the capacity of draftsman and assistant en-
gineer. Returning to the middle west in January, 1899, he became contracting en-
gineer for the Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Company in Chicago. His ability placed
him in a prominent position in his chosen field of labor and broadening experience
and extended research are continually augmenting his skill. He has been accorded
some of the most important contracts in connection with bridge construction in the
middle west. Extending his efforts into other industrial fields he is now the vice
president and secretary of the Allith-Prouty Company, manufacturers of hardware
specialties in Chicago. Through wide experience Mr. Allen has gained an enviable
reputation as an authority in his line and he is at present special lecturer on engin-
eering contracts in the Northwestern University College of Engineering.

Mr. Allen was married in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, to Miss Margaret Isabelle
Thomas, a daughter of John J. and Isabelle (Dobson) Thomas, who were natives
of England. They reside at No. 1215 East Fifty-sixth street. Mr. Allen finds
recreation and interest in golf, tennis, baseball and fishing, in fact in all manly out-
door sports and athletics. He belongs to the Union League, the Quadrangle, the
Illinois Athletic and the Calumet Country Clubs. He also is associated with the
University of Wisconsin Club of Chicago and the Wisconsin University Club of
Madison. Of the latter he has been president and has also been president of the
Beta Theta Pi Chapter House Company of Madison. He is a member of the Theo-
sophical Society and in more strictly professional and scientific lines is connected
with the Western Society of Engineers and the American Society of Civil Engineers,
and is a charter member of the Engineers Club of Chicago, holding every executive
office in the first named and acting as president in the year 1909. His geniality has
made him popular in the organizations of a purely social character and his ability
has gained him recognition in the more strictly professional societies.



Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 37 of 74)