Copyright
J. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) Currey.

Chicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) online

. (page 57 of 74)
Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 57 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


women who aided the poor in the hard winter following the great fire. For twenty-
three years she was president of the Young Women's Christian Association, estab-
lishing the Traveler's Aid for the protection of girls against white slavers, and
was at one time vice president for Illinois of the International Board of Women's
Associations. She considers that one of the greatest acts of her life was her
opposition to the legalization of houses of ill fame. When the first attempt was
made to legalize these houses by state act a protest written by Mrs. Stone and
published in the Chicago Evening Journal prevented the legalization. Of very
great weight in the protest was the following statement "A trusty, respectable



564 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

physician before he would accept so low a calling as medical examiner in a house
of ill fame would sweep the streets or shovel in the gutter for a livelihood." The
second attempt was also thwarted by the same simple protest. She likewise
served on the board of lady managers for the Columbian Exposition. Her work
in connection with the Young Women's Christian Association, which was organized
in 1876, deserves more than passing mention. From the beginning she served as
one of the vice presidents and in 1878 became the president, retaining that office
for twenty-three years or until 1900. Since then she has not been active in the work
of the association but it is still reaping the benefits of her many labors in its be-
half. A specific instance of her aid is found in the fact that in 1886, when prop-
erty on Michigan avenue was the lowest, she secured of John C. Drake his old
home at No. 288 for a permanent home for the Young Women's Christian Asso-
ciation and the society has since occupied that site. In 1894 she again had an
inspiration that as the property had become valuable, while labor and building
materials were at their lowest price the place could be mortgaged and enough money
borrowed from the University of Chicago to put up the present beautiful home
occupied by several hundred girls. The money was given on the condition that
every dollar loaned should be put into the building. When the mortgage was
being rapidly lifted and all seemed to be prospering, Mrs. Stone resigned from
the twenty-three years' presidency and since 1900 has had no active connection
with the society. In 1909 she resigned from the board of the Home for the Friend-
less, with which society she had been connected for nearly fifty years or more
since its organization. She has now passed her eightieth year and she keeps only
her membership in the chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution,
which she helped to organize, being a charter member of the national body. She
is a direct descendant of the John Clark who came with Parson Hooker to America
and whose name is on the monument erected to the 'first settlers of Hartford, Con-
necticut. Her grandfather, James Clark, served in the Revolutionary army and
on the paternal side she is descended from the Leonards, who lived in Taunton,
Massachusetts, and who were descendants from the kingly race of Edward III.
Her grandfather Leonard was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and her father
served his country in the war of 1812.



MALEK ADHEL LORING.

\

It has often been said that the circle of friendship narrows as one passes beyond
the earlier years of manhood, but the reverse of this was true with Malek Adhel
Loring. Each year added to the number of his friends as his acquaintance
widened and few there were who came in contact with him that did not at once
recognize in him such traits of character as command good-will, confidence and
regard in any land and clime. He was born at Princeton, Massachusetts, of New
England parentage, October 8, 1842. His father, Leander Loring, and his mother,
Susan A. B. (Reed) Loring, as well as his grandparents and great-grandparents,
were connected directly or indirectly with the wars of the country, and a long line
further back hailed from the rugged New England hills. At the age of twenty




M. A. LORING



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 567

years Malek Adhel Loring entered the volunteer United States navy as a sutler
and remained in the service on board the man-of-war Circassian of the West Gulf
Squadron for two years. In 1863 upon returning to civil life he took a position
as night clerk in the American House, of Boston. He was young, strong, ambitious ;
eager to work and evinced decided ability. Within three months he was promoted
to the position of day clerk, soon afterward to second clerk and within a few years
was made chief clerk of that well known hotel.

On the 2d of January, 1868, Mr. Loring arrived in Chicago and accepted the
position of day clerk in the original Matteson House, then owned by Robert Hill
and managed by John L. Woodcock. At the time of the great fire Mr. Loring was
chief clerk and when the Matteson was swept out of existence and the metropolis
of the west practically in ashes, he took the chief clerkship of the Grand Central
Hotel on Michigan avenue, which had been improvised from a group of buildings
among the few left standing after that terrible experience. He remained with
the Grand Central until the new Matteson House was completed by Mr. Hill, when
he returned to his former position in the rebuilt hostelry on the day of its opening,
February 3, 1873. On the 1st of May, 1875, Mr. Woodcock and Mr. Loring were
made partners in the business and the firm name was changed to Robert Hill &
Company. In 1876, owing to failing health, Robert Hill withdrew from active
participation in the management and in 1877, when the death of that gentleman
occurred, the firm name became Woodcock & Loring. In the fall of 1880 these
gentlemen purchased the Clifton House, located at the corner of Wabash avenue
and Monroe street, a thriving commercial hotel which prospered abundantly under
their able management and which they sold in the autumn of 1892, just previous
to the opening of the great Columbian Exposition, permanently retiring from busi-
ness. In July, 1895, Mr. Loring was importuned to act as receiver for The
Lakota, a modern residence hotel of imposing proportions and fashionable patron-
age. Owing to bad management it was in serious financial straits. After placing
uiis property on a paying basis he installed a manager and again retired, having
amassed a handsome fortune, the. care of which sufficiently occupied even a man
of Mr. Loring's uncommon executive ability and decided taste for active pursuits.

Mr. Loring was a member of the Masonic fraternity, also belonged to several
local clubs and for many years was an officer in the Hotel Men's Mutual Benefit
Association of the United States and Canada, in which organization he took great
pride and interest.

On the llth of September, 1883, Mr. Loring was united in marriage to Mattie
Amelia Jones Balch, of New York city, a daughter of Jefferson Jones and Mary
Ann (White) Jones, of White's Corners, now Hamburg, New York, both represent-
ing pioneer families of that state. Mr. and Mrs. Loring have one daughter,
Mildred. Mr. Loring died April 24, 1907, in his apartment at the Lakota Hotel,
leaving an inconsolable wife and daughter. He was loved and respected by a wide
circle of friends and acquaintances. His remains were placed temporarily in a
vault 'at Oakwoods cemetery and were laid to final rest on Wednesday, October
14, 1908, in Rose Hill cemetery, in a magnificent mausoleum of granite and white
marble, with beautiful stained glass windows of original design, which Mrs. Loring
had erected as a memorial to her husband. He was a man who opposed show and
pretense. He was modest and retiring yet genial, and all people found him ap-



568 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

proachable. He was willing to accord to any the courtesy of an interview and
no matter what the rush and stress of business he was at all times a gentleman,
courteous, obliging and considerate. He gave evidence of kindness of heart in
many ways and numerous were the incidents, where his acts of generosity and
charity brought comfort and relief to those in need, but these were always most
quietly and unostentatiously performed. A workman in his employ said of him
with tear- wet eyes: "He was my friend, the most considerate and just man I ever
knew to his employes. I would have died for him." Dr. Frank W. Gunsaulus
said: "We thank God for having given us such a man." Thus the two extremes
of life, the humble employe and one who stands as one of the foremost intellects of
the country, entertained the same high regard for Malek Adhel Loring. His
splendid qualities were such as men of every class recognized and appreciated.
He entered with zest into everything that he undertook. His whole heart and
soul went into the interest and activity at hand and his pleasure in business was
not so much in the success that he achieved as in the doing of the work. He
delighted in the accomplishment of every task which he undertook and never
faltered until he had successfully solved the problems connected therewith. It
might well be said of him that:

"The moment's work was mastering lord,
The long day's call a two-edged sword
To fight one's way to well earned rest;
The joy of work was work's reward."



JULIUS FRANKEL.

The real-estate interests of Chicago can claim many energetic and successful
advocates and among them is Julius Frankel, who for more than a quarter of a
century has been identified with the development of this city and vicinity. He is
a native of Bromberg, Prussia, born January 20, 1854. His father, Lewin Frankel,
was a lumber dealer and manufacturer in the old country. He emigrated to
America with his family in the fall of 1869 and located at St. Louis, Missouri,
where he passed the remainder of his life in retirement. He was a man of good
education and in his youth was a pupil of Louis Jacques Mande Daguerre, a
celebrated painter of France, who was also the inventor of the daguerreotype
process. The maiden name of the mother of our subject was Blume Brant. She
was also a native of Prussia. The father died in 1894, at the age of eighty-seven
years, and the mother passed away in 1892. There were seven children in the
family of Mr. and Mrs. Frankel, Julius being the youngest. Three others are now
living and make their homes in St. Louis. Their names are: Augusta, who is the
widow of Morris Hoffmann; Samuel, who was engaged successfully in the jewelry
business and is now retired ; and Rosalia, the widow of Simon Friedman.

Julius Frankel received his preliminary education in the public schools of his
native city. At the age of fifteen he came to the United States with his parents
and continued his education for one year in St. Louis under private teachers. He



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 569

received his introduction to business as clerk in a clothing and men's furnishing
store, and for a number of years was engaged in a general merchandise business
of his own in Van Buren county, Iowa, until 1883. He then came to Chicago and
has ever since been actively interested in the real-estate business. He has been
prominently identified with the development of various parts of the city and for a
number of years dealt extensively in acre property where Zion City now stands
and for some distance southward. He has also dealt largely in property at Wau-
kegan and during recent years has operated at Gary, where he laid out and sold
several additions.

On the 25th of June, 1902, Mr. Frankel was married, at St. Louis, to Miss
Rose Benas, a daughter of Henry Benas. Mrs. Frankel was educated as a teacher
and is a lady of fine culture and a pronounced lover of music and literature. The
family resides in an attractive home at 6401 Jackson avenue. Fraternally Mr.
Frankel is connected with the Masonic order, of which he is a valued member.
He is independent in politics and is a man of broad and tolerant religious views.
He holds membership in the Association of Commerce, the Art Institute, the
Chicago Historical Society and the Illinois State and Mississippi Valley Historical
Societies. He has never been a club man. For many years he has been a collector
of rare books and old paintings, and is the owner of one of the most valuable
and interesting collections of the kind in the middle west. His leisure hours are
spent in his library and in the midst of his art treasures, which have been gathered
from all the principal countries of the world. He recently erected a winter home
in Florida, where he expects to spend a part of each year. Having acquired a
competence, he now enjoys the results of his labors and is also accorded the esteem
of a large circle of friends and acquaintances in Chicago and other cities of the
country.



DANIEL GEORGE TRENCH.

Daniel George Trench has been prominently connected with industrial in-
terests in Chicago since 1881 and is now engaged in the manufacture of canner's
machinery and supplies, being now at the head of the Sprague Canning Machinery
Company, which is the largest concern of the kind in the world. He was born in
Lucea, Jamaica, West Indies, December 12, 1862, a son of James Stewart and
Sarah Powell (Rolrinson) Trench. His parents were of English birth, and the
father was prosecutor for the crown in his native land.

Daniel George Trench spent the first nine years of his life on the island where
his birth occurred and in 1871 he was brought to the United States, where he
continued his education in the public schools of New York and afterward in the
College of the City of New York. He was a young man of nineteen years when
he arrived in Chicago as agent for the C. S. Trench Company, of New York, tin
plate brokers, whom he thus represented until the organization of the tin plate
trust. In 1883 he formed the firm of Daniel G. Trench & Company, canning ma-
chinery and supplies, of which he has since been the president, and in 1893 or-
ganized the Sprague Canning Machinery Company and has continuously been its



570 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

president, his powers of organization and keen business discrimination resulting
in the development of this undertaking until it is now second to none. Still fur-
ther extending his efforts, Mr. Trench in 1894 organized the Union Can Company
of Hoopeston, Illinois, of which he was a director and manager of the Chicago
office until the organization of the American Can Company. He is likewise the
president of the Canner Publishing Company, a leading trade Journal of the can-
ning industry. The extent and importance of his interests place him in a fore-
most position among the representatives of his line of trade in America.

On the 5th of October, 1888, Mr. Trench was married to Miss Edith F. Greene,
a daughter of Benjamin F. Greene, of Chicago, and they now have two children,
Danita Powell and Edith Beatrice, who reside with their parents in an attractive
home at No. 623 North Euclid avenue in Oak Park. The parents hold member-
ship in the Universalist church and for some years Mr. Trench was a trustee of
the Church of the Redeemer. He is now a trustee of the Illinois Universalist
Convention and of Lombard College at Galesburg, Illinois, and is president of the
National League of Universalist Laymen. His political indorsement is given to
the republican party and for many years he has been active in local affairs in
Oak Park that have contributed to public progress and improvement. He was pres-
ident of the Oak Park Improvement Association for two terms and is now chair-
man of the forestry commission of the village. To all work of this character he
brings the same keen discernment and persistency of purpose that have been char-
acteristic of his business career, constituting the salient features in the advance-
ment that has brought him to the prominent place which he now occupies in manu-
facturing and commercial circles.



ANNA ALBERS, M. D.

Dr. Anna Albers, who has advanced to a prominent position in the ranks of
the north side physicians, was born in Muscatine, Iowa, August 8, 1863, her parents
being John W. and Hannah M. (Dietz) Albers, of Muscatine. The father was born
in Oldenberg, Germany, but came to the United States when only sixteen years
of age and in this country wedded Hannah M. Dietz, who was a native of Indian-
apolis, Indiana. They became the parents of five children: William C., a resident
of New York; Elizabeth, deceased; Anna, of this review; Henry A., whose home is
in Des Moines, Iowa; and Frederick B., still living in Muscatine. In former years
the father did an extensive business on the river, being interested in a steamboat
line, and later was in business as a lumber dealer and manufacturer in Muscatine.
For many years Mr. and Mrs. John W. Albers have been prominent and representa-
tive residents of Muscatine, where they have an extensive circle of friends. Both
are descended from ancestors who are prominent in Wurtemburg, Prussia, and the
latter was a daughter of John Christian Dietz, who was an intimate friend and ad-
viser of the emperor.

Dr. Albers acquired her early education as a pupil in St. Mathias school in
Muscatine and afterward attended St. Boniface in Quincy, Illinois, where she re-
mained until about thirteen years of age. During the succeeding six years she



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 573

was under private instruction. It was while a patient in Marion Sims Hospital
at St. Louis that she decided to become a physician. She devoted six years to
nursing and for one year was in the office of Dr. Homer in Oskaloosa, Iowa, acting
as assistant in giving X-Ray treatments. By so doing she was enabled to be in-
dependent and won the money necessary to pay the expenses of a medical college
course. In 1903 she matriculated in the Illinois Medical College and served for four
years under E. C. Seufert, professor of pathology and histology. For three years
she was assistant to Dr. Edward Ochsner, at Augustana Hospital, one of the fore-
most surgeons of the entire country and she also took pathological work under Dr.
E. R. LeCount of Rush Medical College. Although Dr. Albers has been in general
practice for only about five years, she has gained a fine patronage on the north
side, where she is located, having her office and residence at No. 723 Belden
avenue. She is a member of the Chicago Medical Society, the State Medical So-
cietv, the American Medical Association and the Woman's Medical Society, and is
well known as a contributor to medical journals, having written many articles of
value to the profession. In addition to her private practice she is serving on the
staff of Augustana Hospital.

The determination which Dr. Albers displayed in providing for her own main-
tenance while planning for and pursuing her education is one of her strong charac-
teristics and has been one of the elements of her success. Her professional work
is all performed in most conscientious and able manner and she has won the com-
mendation of the profession as well as of the general public.



WILLIAM J. ONAHAN.

It has been said that the history of America during the past century should
be written in the terms of commercialism, but while the United States has forged to
the front in many lines of industry and commercial activity there are still many
whose humanitarianism constitutes a balance to the business spirit that is rife.
William J. Onahan, banker, writer, lecturer and philanthropist, belongs to this
class. He was born at Leighlin Bridge in County Carlow, Ireland, and in 1815
accompanied his parents on their removal to Liverpool, where in his boyhood he
served as an acolyte, in St. Nicholas' Pro-Cathedral. He also pursued his educa-
tion in a Catholic school of that city and was well grounded in English when, in
1852, he decided to come to the United States.

The tales of life on this side of the Atlantic prompted this step. There was
something inspiring to him in the fact that this country was making its history ; that
men were still active in its upbuilding, and his buoyant and adventurous spirit
prompted him to become a factor in the things that were being accomplished here.
He spent two years as a salesman in a mercantile house of New York and then
came to Chicago, where he has since resided. At the time of the Civil war he
entered heart and soul into the work of supporting the Union and in raising a reg-
iment for the front he not only utilized all of his then present financial resources
but also embarrassed himself for years in the future by his efforts. He thought
with the same spirit and his contribution to the cause of liberty was by no means



574 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

slight. He has been equally active and stalwart in his championship of the Cath-
olic church, working diligently and untiringly in support of the faith. In 1865
he organized St. Patrick's Society of Chicago, composed of the leading Irishmen
of the city, and for nearly twenty years its founder was chief of the brilliant
membership which made the annual observance of St. Patrick's day memorable.
The society, too, was a most generous contributor when famine in Ireland called
for the sympathy and assistance of people throughout the world. Among the or-
ganizations of the St. Patrick's Society there was formed the League of St. Patrick
for the purpose of directing emigrants to the land tracts of the great west and
settling them upon government plats. Mr. Onahan was made secretary and man-
ager of the league, continuing thus until 1889. In that year the league was merged
into the Irish Catholic Colonization Society, which Mr. Onahan did so much to
organize and in which he retained the position of manager. Under his auspices
Catholic colonies have been established in Minnesota and Nebraska and in a hun-
dred ways the sons of the Emerald isle have been assisted in their emigration to
and settlement in America.

Mr. Onahan's work called forth the attention of the church not only in this
country but also in the seat of Catholicism and in December, 1893, Pope Leo man-
ifested his appreciation of Mr. Onahan's labors by bestowing upon him the ap-
pointment as chamberlain of the sword and mantle, an honor conferred upon
prominent laymen since the eleventh century.

Mr. Onahan's varied activities have likewise included service for the city. In
1863-4 he was a school inspector for hjs church in Chicago. In 1869 he was put
on the citizen's ticket for city collector and was elected for one term. Ten years
later he was appointed to the same office and term after term was reappointed
until he resigned in 1888. The next year he was made comptroller of the city
and satisfactorily filled that position for two years. From 1874 until 1881 he was
also a member of the public library board, an office in which he personally found
the greatest satisfaction. Of him it has been written: "In the fullest sense Mr.
Onahan is a book lover. His house at 37 Macalister place is a library iri itself.
Old and rare volumes have lodgment on shelves in nearly every room from base-
ment to roof, but of the collection the observer sees first the evidence of the scholar
in the work. These cases show something more than money in their treasures of
print and binding. Some one, writing of him when his library had taken form,
has said : 'So it came to pass that while others in the feverish new city sought
to pile up a hard, cold, yellow to gloat over and be their delight, as the children of
Israel gloated over the golden calf in the wilderness, this youth turned aside from
their sordid ways and builded himself a house of books. And lo! when others
lifted up their eyes and beheld what the youth, now grown to man's estate, had
done they saw that it was good. And they ceased not to talk of it and this the
more because the man had been true to the memories of his youth and in his house
of books the dear, green color shone preeminent.' "

Mr. Onahan is widely known on the lecture platform, being an eloquent, in-
teresting and instructive public speaker who "Ia3 r s the emphasis of his convictions
in Language that is classical." He has lectured on The Rights of Labor, Freder-
ick Ozanam, Generals Mulligan and Shields, John Mitchell, Ireland It Mikla,
Irish Settlements in Illinois and Our Faith and Our Flag. Some of these lectures



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 575

have been issued in book form and in recognition of his high scholarship and suc-
cessful attainment Mr. Onahan has been honored by Notre Dame University with
the LL. B. degree, while other academic honors have come to him from St. John's



Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 57 of 74)