Copyright
J. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) Currey.

Chicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) online

. (page 67 of 74)
Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 67 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


disposition, gave cheerfully of his means to forward public measures for the good
of all, and by an honorable and extremely useful life earned universal respect. He
was married three times first to Miss Jane A. Lowry, of Erie, Pennsylvania : sec-
ond, to Miss Frances M. Pearce, of Chicago; and, third, to Miss Elizabeth Yager,
daughter of David H. Yager, of Clifton Springs, New York. By the last wife,
who survives him he was the father of eight children, five of whom are deceased.
Those living are: Horatio O., Robert E., and Althea I.



674 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

Mrs. Stone is a recognized social leader, and is one of the most popular and re-
spected women in Chicago. She possesses literary, musical and artistic tastes, and
has always taken a sincere pleasure in fostering art and encouraging American
artists. Her liberal support of every good and charitable work undertaken in Chi-
cago for many years has given her a warm place in the hearts of all.



COLONEL JOHN H. KINZIE.

To record the life and work of Colonel John H. Kinzie is to write in brief not
only the history of Chicago up to and through the period of the Civil war but also
largely the history of the upper and eastern portion of the Mississippi valley. It
would be difficult to find one whose entire life was so closely and prominently con-
nected with the development of this great region as was that of Colonel J. H. Kinzie,
who was born July 7, 1803, in the little town of Sandwich, across the Canadian
border from Detroit, whither his mother had gone on a visit to her sister. His
father, John Kinzie, was a Canadian by birth but passed his early years in New
York. When but ten years old his adventurous spirit prompted him to make his
way back to Quebec. There he made friends with a silversmith who adopted the
lad and taught him something of his own craft, a knowledge that served him well
in his dealings with the Indians later in life. His stepfather, Mr. Forsyth, recov-
ered the runaway in the course of two years and he accompanied the family on their
removal to Detroit, Michigan. In early manhood he wedded Mrs. MacKillup, the
widow of a British officer, and entered into Indian trading, having an establishment
at Sandusky and at Maumee, and in 1800 founded one at St. Joseph. After the
removal of the family to Chicago he moved his trading points still farther west,
all, however, contributing to the parent house in Chicago. From these outer posts,
from the Menominees of Milwaukee, the Winnebagoes and Pottawattomies on Rock
river and the Kickapoos in the Sangamon valley, furs and pelts were sent to Chi-
cago and thence by lake to Mackinac. In the troublous times which gave birth
to Chicago and witnessed its early progress John Kinzie continued his trading with
the Indians among whom he was a man of great influence. He died in this city
in 1828.

The first trip of his little son, John H. Kinzie, was made in an Indian cradle on
the shoulders of a French engage to the family home at what is now the town of
Bertrand on the St. Joseph river in Michigan. The carelessness of his bearer nearly
cost him his life, for the cradle was set down against a tree in close proximity to
a blazing fire from which a flying spark lodged in the neck of his dress, causing a
fearful burn, the scars of which he carried with him to the grave. His father,
having purchased the trading establishment of M. LeMai at the mouth of the Chi-
cago river, removed with his family to that place in the following year and thus
Colonel Kinzie became a resident of the city which was destined to become the
western metropolis and second in size on the American continent. Some companies
of infantry under command of Major John Whistler arrived at the same time the
4th of July and began the construction of Fort Dearborn. At his home on the
banks of the river, nearly opposite the fort, the childhood of Mr. Kinzie was passed




JOHN II. KIXZIK









CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 677



until the outbreak of the war of 1812. There were no facilities for education, the
children receiving only such instruction as could be given them by their parents.
It was a matter of great delight to Mr. Kinzie when in his early boyhood in a
chest of tea which had been brought by a schooner on its annual trip he found a
spelling book. His cousin, Robert Forsyth, instructed him in spelling from that
book and he said that ever afterward there was a pleasant association with the
fragrance of green tea which always kept the spelling book fresh in his memory.
On one occasion a discharged soldier was engaged to teach him and the children
of the officers at the fort, but because of the intemperance of the man the school was
discontinued in less than three months. The close friend of Colonel Kinzie in those
days was Washington Whistler, the son of the commanding officer of the fort who
in after years became a distinguished engineer of his own country and in the serv-
ice of the emperor of Russia. When the massacre of 1812 occurred Colonel Kinzie
was nine years of age but ever afterward preserved a distinct recollection of all of
the particulars that came under his own observation. When the troops left the
garrison some friendly chiefs, knowing what was in contemplation by their young
braves, who would not be restrained, took possession of the boat in which were Mrs.
Kinzie and her children and guarded them safely until the fighting was over. The
next day they were escorted by Chief Robinson and other friends in their boat to
the St. Joseph river, making their way to the home of Madame Bertrand, a sister
of the famous Chief To-pu-nee-bie. After a short sojourn there they were con-
ducted to Detroit and delivered as prisoners of war to the British commanding
officer, Colonel McKee. After the father joined them the following winter the
family home was established at the corner of Jefferson avenue and Wayne streets.
The Americans suffered greatly as they were brought in to headquarters from time
to time by their Indian captors. The tenderness of feeling which was one of Colonel
Kinzie's distinguishing traits made him ever foremost in his efforts to bargain
with the savages for the ransom of the sufferers and many of them were rescued
and nursed and cared for, sometimes to the salvation of their lives, although at times
they could not survive their tortures.

Colonel Kinzie's father was paroled by General Proctor but upon the suspicion
that he was in correspondence with General Harrison, who was known to be meditat-
ing an attempt to recover the city of Detroit, he was seized and sent a prisoner to
Canada, leaving his wife and young family to get along as best they might. After
the lapse of some months the capture of Detroit by General Harrison secured for
them a fast friend in that noble and excellent man. At length the father was re-
leased and restored to his family. He had then but a solitary shilling in his pocket,
a coin that has since been carefully preserved by his descendants as a memento of
those troublous times.

The Kinzie family remained in Detroit for four years and again educational
privileges were very limited, for schools that were established, usually were dis-
continued at the end of the first winter. In 1816 they returned to their desolated
home in Chicago and it was found that the bones of the murdered soldiers who
had fallen four years before were still lying unburied on the prairie. The troops
who rebuilt the fort collected and interred these remains. The coffins, however,
were deposited near the bank of the river and later the cutting through the sand
bar for the harbor caused the lake to encroach and wash away the earth, exposing



678 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

the long range of coffins with their contents. These were afterward cared for by
the civil authorities.

In 1818 when in his sixteenth year Colonel Kinzie was taken by his father to
Mackinac to be indentured to the American Fur Company and placed under the
care of Ramsay Crooks, "to learn the art and mystery of merchandising in all its
various parts and branches," so said the articles of indenture. During the five
years of his service with the companv Colonel Kinzie was never off the island ex-
cept once when he was taken by Robert Stuart, the successor of Mr. Crooks, to
visit the British officers at Drummond island. During the entire period he never
attended an evening's entertainment, never saw a show except one by an indifferent
company that included pantomime and slight-of-hand tricks. From five o'clock in
the morning until tea-time he remained in the warehouse or superintended the
numerous engages making up outfits for the Indian trade or receiving the packs
and commodities which arrived from time to time. In the evening he read aloud
to his kind friend, Mrs. Stuart, who was unwearied in her efforts to supply the
deficiencies which his unsettled and eventful life had made inevitable, and her ex-
planations and criticisms of books which he read proved to him one of the chief
sources of his knowledge and stimulated in him the ambition that enabled him
to overcome his early disadvantages and made him the equal of many who had re-
ceived school and college training. He learned to play on the violin, being in-
structed by a half-breed woman, and this with the trapping of silver gray foxes
constituted his chief recreation. In 1824 the fur company transferred him from
Mackinac to Prairie du Chien. On attaining his majority he made a visit to his
parents and had returned to Mackinac on a small boat, coasting the western shore
of Lake Michigan. He was the first man to set foot on shore at Waukegan,
at least after the days of the early explorers. While at Prairie du Chien
he learned the Winnebago language and compiled a grammar as far as such
a task was practicable. From his childhood he was familiar with the dialects, of
the Ottawa, Pottawattomie and Chippewa Indians and he afterward learned the
Sioux language and partially that of the Sac and Fox tribes.

About that time Colonel Kinzie was invited by General Cass, then governor of
the territory of Michigan, to become his private secretary and in 1826 escorted a
deputation of Winnebagoes to Washington to visit their "great father," the presi-
dent. In 1827 he was present at the treaty of Butte des Morts. During the time
of his residence with General Cass he was, by virtue of his appointment, also su-
perintendent of the northern division of the Indian tribes, he was sent to the
vicinity of the Sandusky to learn the language of the Wyandotte or Huron Indians,
their manners and customs, legends, traditions, etc., and also compiled a grammar
of their language. The large amount of Indian lore which he collected in these
various researches was of course placed in the hands of his chief. General Cass,
and it is greatly to be regretted that as far as can be ascertained not a trace of all
this now remains.

In 1828 John H. Kinzie was appointed by President Adams Indian agent to
the Winnebagoes and stationed at Fort Winnebago, now Portage City, Wisconsin.
He was then twenty-five years of age, was thoroughly versed in Indian lore and
craft and exhibited even more than his father's skill and influence over the Indians.
He rendered effective service to the government by persuading the Indians not to



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 679

join Black Hawk in the war of 1832. In 1833 Mr. Kinzie returned to Chicago
and with its growth and progress was prominently and closely connected from that
day until his death. His treatment of the Indians was always kind, tactful and
judicious and they proclaimed him their "father." His title as colonel had been
received during his service as aid to the commander in chief, Governor Cass. In
1834 Colonel Kinzie brought his family to Chicago to reside. He was the first
president of the village and he was appointed collector of the tolls on the canal
immediately after its completion. In 1841 he was made registrar of public lands
by Governor Harrison and in 1849 General Taylor appointed him to the position
of receiver of public moneys and depositary. He served as collector until com-
missioned paymaster of the Union army in 1861. A contemporary biographer has
written: "He has been liberal, energetic, intelligent and his name will stand iden-
tified with the most important features of the early growth of this section. To
give the full details of such a life as his has been, is to retrace the stages of the
progressive development of Chicago. Once he filled the highest municipal office.
He was earnest and ardent in the measure of building the Illinois and Michigan
canal and for ten years subsequent to its completion was prominently connected
with its management as canal collector in this city."

John H. Kinzie was married in 1827 to Miss Juliette Augusta Magill, a daugh-
ter of Arthur Magill, of Middletown, Connecticut, later a pioneer resident of
Ottawa. She wrote "Wau-bun" which gives a most interesting account of the
Chicago Massacre, and of leading events in her husband's history and of incidents
which formed part of the records of the northwest and which are becoming more
and more valuable as those days recede into the past. Their eldest son, named
for his father, gave his life for his country in the naval engagement of White
river in the summer of 1862, while serving on the gunboat Mound City. The
second son, Arthur, served through the term of enlistment of Battery A of the
Chicago Light Artillery and then reenlisted as a member of an Illinois Cavalry
Regiment. Arthur Kinzie was on General Washburn's staff, and was captured by
General Forrest when he made his famous raid into Memphis, and was exchanged
by special orders of President Davis. The third son, George, entered the United
States army and died in 1892. The only daughter married William W. Gordon,
of Savannah, Georgia, where she now resides.

From the foregoing it will be seen that the sons shared in the patriotic spirit
of the father, who continued to serve as paymaster of the army until the close of
the war. His labors were vast and wearying, for he had the supervision of Michigan,
Wisconsin and Illinois, but he was too conscientious and patriotic to ask for aid
and during the first four years in the office performed the large amount of work
with the assistance of but a solitary clerk. It proved too much for his health, which
became undermined, and when a tardy leave of absence arrived he started with his
family on a journey, hoping that mountain air and sea bathing might prove bene-
ficial, but he had not yet completed the first stage of his journey when death called
him. He was seated in the train conversing with his usual cheerfulness when he
noticed a blind man approaching, asking for alms, and with his characteristic gen-
erosity he put his hand in his pocket for a coin. While in that act his head dropped
gently and thus the end came, his death occurring on June 21, 1865. At that time
it was written: "The last of his contemporaries, Major Kinzie turns the final page



680 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

in the first volume of the annals of this city and surrenders the last survivor-
ship of those who looked out upon prairie and woodland where Chicago was to
stand. It is rare that the sum of a single human life so honorably and usefully en-
shrines so much that pertains to human progress."



ALFRED T. EIDE, M. D.

Although one of the younger representatives of the medical fraternity in Chi-
cago, Dr. Alfred T. Eide has already established himself in a position which many
an older practitioner might well envy. He is now the chief surgeon for the Sellers
Manufacturing Company and in addition has a growing private practice. He was
born in Morris, Illinois, October 5, 1883, and is a son of Elling Eide, who for years
was largely instrumental in the upbuilding of the Logan Square and Humboldt Park
divisions of the northwest side of the city. He was born in Bergen, Norway, July
11, 1859, and came to the United States in 1878, settling at Morris, Illinois, when a
young man of nineteen years. There he married Martha Erickson, who was also a
native of the land of the midnight sun, and they became the parents of five children:
Alfred T., of this review ; Bertha C., who is living at home with her parents ; Violet,
who is a graduate of the Chicago Conservatory of Music, and is now teaching that
art in this city ; Iver O., who is studying medicine under his brother ; and Irwin,
deceased.

As a boy of six years Alfred T. Eide became a pupil in the old Talcott school on
the west side of Chicago, where he pursued his studies until nine years of age, when
his parents removed to Logan Square and in that district he continued his education
to the age of fourteen years. He then dropped out of school and for a year and a half
was in the employ of Charles Slack & Company, grocers. He left that place to ac-
cept a position in the office of Cyrus H. McCormick, president of the McCormick
Harvester Company, continuing in that connection until 1901, when he decided to
make the practice of medicine his life work, and went to Valparaiso, Indiana, enter-
ing the university there as a student in the preparatory and scientific departments.
He continued his studies in Valparaiso for two years and had he remained for four
months longer he would have received the degree of Bachelor of Science. In 1904,
however, he entered the Chicago College of Medicine and Surgery and was gradu-
ated in 1908. He opened an office at Logan Square, where he continued in the gen-
eral practice of medicine and surgery until 1910. At that time he removed to No.
4017 Milwaukee avenue in order to be nearer the plant of the Sellers Manufactur-
ing Company, which is located in Irving Park, one of Chicago's suburbs to the north-
west. He is chief surgeon for this company, and in addition enjoys a large private
practice, being regarded as one of the leading members of the profession on the
northwest side of the city.

The Doctor is well known in many fraternal connections. He belongs to the
Knights of Pythias, holds membership with the Knights of the White Cross, the
Sons of Norway, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Royal League, the Woodmen
of the World, the Tribe of Ben Hur and the Deutsche Gilde. He also belongs to
the Norwegian Republican Club (Dovere Club) and to the Alpha Nu Chapter of






CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 683



the Phi Delta, of which he was one of the organizers. He is a director of the Fra-
ternity House Association and a member of the Chicago Medical Society. His father
is a thirty-second degree Mason and a Shriner and his mother and sisters are mem-
bers of the Eastern Star. The Doctor is serving as medical examiner for the local
camp of the Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen of America, also the
Sons of Norway and the Knights of the White Cross. He gives stalwart allegiance
to the republican party and his religious faith is that of the Methodist church. He
has always enjoyed out-of-door sports and for three years played on the college
football team. He greatly enjoys travel and his interests reach out along the
broader lines that are not confined by the local limitations of one's home district.
He keeps in touch with the trend of modern thought and progress, having one of the
largest and up-to-date complete X-ray equipments in 'Chicago, and doing research
work along the lines of stereoscopy ; but not only takes deep interest in matters in
the strict path of his profession but also along general lines of advancement.



ARTHUR BURRAGE FARWELL.

Long recognized as a leader in the movement for civic virtue, putting forth
practical and effective effort toward the attainment of honorable and ideal con-
ditions in municipal government, Arthur Burrage Farwell stands as a representative
of the highest type of American manhood and citizenship, subjugating party in-
terests to general welfare and personal aggrandizement to the good of his fellow-
men. Descended from New England ancestry, he was born at Leominster, Massa-
chusetts, October 2, 1852, and was educated in the village and preparatory schools
of that town. During the periods of vacation and until seventeen years of age
he assisted his father in the management of a farm owned by the family and
situated near the town limits. From his youth he was interested in the study of
economics and of questions of vital import to the welfare of humanity and, wishing
to become a factor in life where the limitations were not as great as those imposed
by the farm, he came to Chicago. His first commercial venture was as clerk in the
office of the Babcock Extinguisher Company, of which his brother was then secretary.
He remained in that position for a year, at the end of which time he entered the
employ of J. V. Farwell & Company, continuing with that great dry-goods firm
until 1876 and advancing from stock clerk by successive gradations until he became
traveling salesman. He was with the house through the fire of 1870 and also
through the great conflagration which destroyed Chicago's business center in 1871.
After leaving J. V. Farwell & Company he connected himself with C. M. Hender-
son & Company, for many years recognized as one of Chicago's great factors in
the wholesale shoe trade. There he remained for twenty-six years and when the
Watson-Plummer Company succeeded C. M. Henderson & Company he remained
with the new firm for five years. At the time of the dissolution of his connection
he was one of the oldest as well as one of the most honored representatives of the
house.

In the early days of his residence in Chicago, Mr. Farwell became a member of
the Plymouth Congregational church and it was while connected with Dr. Bart-



684 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

lett's congregation that he became aroused to the necessity for concerted action look-
ing to the betterment of existing municipal conditions. He became one of the lead-
ers in organizing the ballot box brigade, whose efforts in the direction of political
reform are matters of history. In 1880 he was chosen chairman of the Young
Men's Republican Club and took active part in the Brand-Lehman legislative con-
test in the old eighteenth ward, claiming that the saloon was no place for a political
meeting and succeeding in establishing the precedent which has ever been main-
tained, preventing such meetings being held in saloons. In 1885 he removed to
Hyde Park and five years later was made chairman of the finance committee of the
Hyde Park Protective Association. In 1892 he was elected its secretary, in which
position he has always contended for the enforcement of the Hyde Park ordinances
and is justly proud of the fact that nine out of ten saloon cases in that district have
been decided in favor of decency. Mr. Farwell has always believed that char-
acter is more valuable than life itself and has ever acted upon this principle to
the benefit of the community at large. He is president of the Chicago Law & Or-
der League and has been conspicuous in the contest for the supremacy of law,
decent politics and honest administration of public affairs.

On Christmas day of 1882 was celebrated the marriage of Arthur Burrage Far-
well and Miss Floretta Woodberry. Unto them have been born four daughters and
two sons, one of whom died in 1888. The surviving son, Stanley P., is a professor in
the Central University of Danville, Kentucky. The eldest daughter, Florence, is a
teacher in Youngstown, Ohio, and Elizabeth is a student in the Lake Erie College
at Painesville, Ohio, while Louise and Dorothy are pupils in the Hyde Park schools.
The family residence is at No. 1454 Hyde Park boulevard. Mr. Farwell is widely
known as a representative citizen and a man of high personal integrity, who, ap-
preciative of the duties and obligations as well as the privileges of citizenship, has
put forth earnest and resultant effort, counting that time well spent which pro-
motes progress along the lines of municipal reform and improvement. His public-
spirited devotion to the general good is unquestioned, for he has never sought the
rewards of office nor does he seem to care for public recognition of his labors. He
who keeps in touch with the history of the times, however, must recognize the fact
that Mr. Farwell has played an important and helpful part in bringing about those
purifying and wholesome reforms which have been gradually growing in the po-
litical, municipal and social life of the city.



LOUIS MOHR.

To see Louis Mohr in his office one would think his entire interest was con-



Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 67 of 74)