Copyright
J. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) Currey.

Chicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) online

. (page 70 of 74)
Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 70 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


there proved to be little of the latter and their investment brought them only loss
instead of profit. For some time Mr. Roach remained in the west, being at different
periods in Walla Walla, Washington, Portland, Oregon, Los Angeles, California,
and Salt Lake City. He utilized each opportunity for advancement in a business
way and scorned no honest employment. When more favorable opportunities
seemed closed he worked at different times as cowboy, newspaper writer and miner.
It was after this that he came to Chicago, arriving here in 1872.

It was at that date that John M. Roach became connected with the street car
service and its development and successful management are attributable in no small
measure to his efforts and executive ability. When seemingly more advantageous
opportunities in a business way came to him he declined them to become connected
with the railway service, for with remarkable prescience he discerned something
that the future had in store for this great and growing western city. He carried
a letter of introduction to Valentine C. Turner, then general manager of the
North Chicago Street Railway Company, who would have given Mr. Roach a posi-
tion in the office had not the latter modestly requested a place as driver or con-
ductor so that he "could learn the business from the car up." He has never faltered
in anything that he has undertaken throughout his entire life and when working
at a salary of fifty dollars per month as a street car conductor he turned in more
fares on the old Division street and Clybourn avenue line than the company had
ever received from a conductor on that line. After five months' experience he was
one day called into the office by Mr. Turner, who told him to leave his car where
it stood for he had been promoted to the position of cashier. At that time the rail-
way service of Chicago was in embryonic state. The North Chicago Street Rail-
road Company operated a few miles of track on the north side: on North Clark
street to North avenue, Wells street to Division street, Chicago avenue from Rush
street to the river, on Division street from Clark street to Clybourn avenue. The
five-cent fare permitted one to ride two miles on the north side lines and an equal
distance on the south or west side lines, and the cars had seating capacity for about
twelve people. A driver was frequently in charge of the car with no conductor
and the only effort made to promote the comfort of passengers was to place hay
on the car floors in the winter to protect the feet from the bitter cold. Mr. Roach
proved adequate to the demands of the new position he was called upon to fill and
after acting for some time as cashier was made purchasing agent. He was often
found at his desk eighteen hours out of the twenty-four and manifested such
superior executive force and ability to handle men that he attracted the attention
of his superiors and was promoted rapidly. In the year 1890 he was made general
superintendent of all the north side lines and in 1893 he was elected vice president
and general manager of the company, while in 1897 he was elected vice president
and general manager of the West Chicago Street Railway Company. The year
1899 brought him promotion to the position of vice president and general manager
of the Union Traction Company upon the consolidation of the North and West Chi-
cago Street Railroad Companies and when that corporation, upon its reorganiza-
tion, became the Chicago Railways Company, Mr. Roach was elected president
and general manager of the new corporation. Of him a contemporary biographer
lias said :



710 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

"In all these years Mr. Roach's advancement has been due to his own efforts,
rather than to fortuitous circumstances or capitalistic interest. His capacity for
hard work, for organization, his knowledge of men and his skilful management of
the immense interests placed in his charge have made him the logical director of a
great traction property during trying periods of financial difficulties and adverse
public sentiment a public sentiment that has happily become entirely favorable
during the beneficial influence of first class car service. In his rehabilitation of
the lines of the North and West Sides in a little more than three years Mr. Roach
has established a record for reconstructive work never before equaled in traction
history. National recognition of Mr. Roach's prominence in the traction field came
several years ago, when he was elected president of the American Street and In-
terurban Association, which includes in its membership all of the important elec-
tric railroads in this country."

Mr. Roach is not only a director of the Chicago Railways Company but also of
the La Salle Street National Bank and of the First National Bank of Fort Myers,
Florida. In the same city he has a large grape fruit plantation and he is also
interested in mining in the west and in farm lands in various parts of the country.

In 1870 Mr. Roach was united in marriage to Miss Katherine E. Lyon, a
daughter of Garrett and Almira Lyon. They now have one son, Fred Lyon Roach.
When business duties and demands leave him leisure Mr. Roach delights in spend-
ing his time at golf or fishing and he takes the keenest enjoyment from a good
game of baseball, being frequently seen at the parks of the National or American
Leagues. Something of the nature of his interests is shown in the fact that he not
only belongs to the Exmoor Golf and the Chicago Golf Clubs but also to the West
Chicago Driving Club and the Gentlemen's Driving Club. He likewise holds mem-
bership in the Chicago Art Institute, the National Civic Federation and the Chi-
cago Association of Commerce, while in Masonry he has attained the Knight
Templar degree and has crossed the sands of the desert with the Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, nor is he
ever remiss in the duties of citizenship but gives to progressive public measures
that unfaltering support of the substantial business man which is always an in 1
fluencing factor in the attainment of party success.



BURTON W. MACK, M. D.

Dr. Burton W. Mack, who since 1903 has engaged in the practice of medicine
and surgery in Chicago and has made a specialty of the latter, was born at Maple
Park, Illinois, July 18, 1868. His father, Thomas W. Mack, is a native of Scotland
and is now living retired in this city. Having come to America in 1838, he settled
first in New York and in 1871 became a resident of Chicago, arriving here before
the great fire which spread over the city in that year. In the meantime he served
in the Civil war as a captain throughout the period of hostilities and continued in
military connections until 1869. He married Mary E. Cole, who was born at Louis-
ville, Kentucky, November 14, 1846, and was a descendant of John Quincy Adams.






CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 713



Her death occurred in Chicago in 1889, and of her family of six children five are
still living, the second son, Cloyd E., having passed away. The others are: Dr.
Burton W., of this review; Minnie A., the wife of George Frost, of Chicago, and
the mother of two daughters; Maude E., who married Clarence Manton, of this
city, and who also has two daughters; Ernest C., a contractor of Chicago; and
Beulah A., the wife of Thomas Taylor, of Nashville, Tennessee.

Dr. Burton W. Mack was only three years of age when the family became resi-
dents of Chicago and at the age of six years he was sent to the public schools, com-
pleting the grammar grades at the age of twelve, when he entered the North Division
high school, in which he spent three years. In 1899 he became a student in the
medical department of the University of Illinois and was graduated therefrom in
1903. For nine months he served as interne in the West Side Hospital, and for one
year in the Lakeside Hospital, after which he was for a year assistant to Dr. A.
J. Stewart. In 1906 he entered upon the general practice of medicine and surgery,
making a specialty of the latter, and the skill which he displays in this connection
is bringing him constantly increasing success. He is now serving on the staff of
St. Anne's Hospital and is attending physician for the Chicago Railways Com-
pany, Pettibone-Mulligan Company, Johnson Chair Company, Louis Hansen Com-
pany and the Continental Can Company. He belongs to the Chicago Medical So-
ciety and the American Medical Association.

Dr. Mack's work has been further stimulated by the fact that he has the sympa-
thy of his wife in all of his professional service. He was united in marriage to Miss
Mary K. Vaughn, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Vaughn, of Chicago, and they
have one child, Jessie C., who was born April 29, 1890, and married August 4, 1910,
to Edmund M. Yell, who is connected with the Chicago Telephone Company. Mrs.
Mack, too, belongs to the medical fraternity, being a graduate of the Herring Medi-
cal College of the class of 1893. While she engages in general practice in Chicago,
she yet makes a specialty of women's and children's diseases. She is supreme medi-
cal director of the Daughters of Columbia. In his fraternal connections Dr. Bur-
ton W. Mack is affiliated with the Columbian Knights, the Daughters of Columbia,
the Royal League and the Vesta Circle. He holds to high ideals in his profession,
constantly seeks to broaden his knowledge that his labors may be more effective, and
with discriminating intelligence selects the best methods for the treatment of indi-
vidual cases, the soundness of his judgment being manifest in the excellent results
which follow his labors.



FRANK PURVIS JUDSON.

Frank Purvis Judson, who for twenty-five years was connected with banking in-
terests of Chicago, his long experience, close study of financial problems and laud-
able ambition each year promoting his efficiency and winning him general recogni-
tion of his worth as a representative of the monetary interests of the city, is now
engaged in the commercial paper business. He was born in Belvidere, Illinois,
March 18, 1863, and at the age of two years was brought to Chicago by his parents,
William H. and Emma (Trotter) Judson. While spending his boyhood days in this



714 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

city, he mastered the course of instruction of the public schools of Chicago and of
fivanston, and early in 1886 started in business life, his initial step being made as
a clerk in the American Exchange Bank. His close application and ability won him
promotion to the position of teller a little later and he thus continued until 1892,
in which year the Bankers National Bank was organized and he became teller in
the new institution. In 1894 he was advanced to the position of assistant cashier
and five years later he was again promoted, becoming cashier, in which capacity he
continued to render valuable assistance until late in 1909, when the Bankers Na-
tional Bank consolidated with the Commercial National Bank of Chicago and of the
latter Mr. Judson was appointed secretary. In April, 1910, however, he withdrew
from banking circles and has since concentrated his energies upon the handling of
commercial paper. With intimate knowledge of the value of stocks, bonds and
other commercial paper, he is splendidly qualified to care for the interests of a large
and growing clientele and his business has reached such proportions as to place him
in a leading position among the representatives of this field of business activity.

In 1892 Mr. Judson was united in marriage at Freeport, Illinois, to Miss Lillian
Wolf, and unto them have been born two children, Frank M. and Marion. Mr. Jud-
son has attained the Knight Templar degree in Masonry as a member of Evanston
commandery. He is also an active member of the Hamilton and the Evanston Clubs,
while his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He resides in Chi-
cago's most beautiful, as well as oldest suburbs Evanston, but his personal popu-
larity has extended the circle of his friends far beyond the place of his abode. His
family and social life has been one marked by genial and cultured influences and
his personal integrity has won for him the confidence of Chicago's leading business
men. He has never hesitated to give aid to those projects wherein the city's welfare
and upbuilding are involved and more than that, in the field of his immediate busi-
ness connections he has so directed his energies as to reach a prominent position
and one having direct effect upon the commercial prosperity of the city.



FREDERICK A. HESS, M. D.

Dr. Frederick A. Hess, who is now regarded as one of the pioneer physicians
on the north side, having been engaged in the general practice of medicine in
Chicago since 1873, was born in Bergen, Norway, May 22, 1851, his parents being
Jens C. and Anna J. (Coulsen) Hess. They, too, were natives of Norway and
the father was a prominent merchant of Bergen but, thinking that still broader
business opportunities might be secured on this side of the Atlantic, he came with
his family to the United States, arriving in Chicago, on the 4th of July, 1863 the
day which witnessed the surrender of Gettysburg and of Vicksburg. Here his
death occurred on the 4th of April, 1911, when he had reached the venerable age of
eighty-one years, and his wife passed away in April, 1890, at the age of seventy-one.

Dr. Hess was only four and half years of age when he began his education as
a pupil in a private school of Bergen, Norway, there continuing his studies until
he reached the age of twelve years, when he had completed an academic course in




DR. F. A. HESS



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 717

Bergen. Following the arrival of the family in Chicago he was placed under pri-
vate tutors and given instruction in English, German, French and Latin. After six
years of hard study under the most capable instructors his father could find, he
felt that he was ready to enter upon special preparation for a professional career
and in 1869 matriculated in Rush Medical College, from which he was graduated
on the 28th of February, 1873. For four years, from 1873 until 1877, he served
as visiting physician for the county and during the smallpox epidemic of 1874 was
on the staff of inspectors. In the latter year he became attending physician to the
Norwegian Tabitha Hospital, in which connection he continued for two years.
Twenty years later, or in 1899, he received the honorary degree of Ph. D. from the
Montezuma University at Bessemer, Alabama. As he has been in general practice
in Chicago since 1873, he is now one of the oldest physicians of the north side in
years of continuous connection with the profession. He belongs to both the Chicago
Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He also belongs to the
Scandinavian Medical Society, of which he has been the president and is a
member of the National Geographical Society and the American Association for the
Advancement of Science and the Press Club of Chicago. In practice he has won
gratifying success. He realizes the responsibilities and obligations which devolve
upon him and in the faithful performance of his duties has won the consideration
which is ever accorded those who are loyal to a trust.

Dr. Hess has been married twice. In 1874 he wedded Miss Emma Gilbert, a
daughter of Gilbert Gilbert, of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. She died in 1879, leav-
ing a daughter, Flora A., who passed away at the age of twenty-five years. On the
24th of December, 1881, Dr. Hess wedded Miss Emma E. Campbell, a daughter of
Mrs. Ellen Campbell, of Chicago, and unto them two children were born: Freder-
ick A., twenty-seven years of age, who is a traveling salesman and makes his home
in Oklahoma City; and Anna J., who resides at home with her parents but is now
attending the Northwestern University. The son is married and has a little
daughter, Aliene, who is eight years of age and is the only grandchild. Dr. Hess
resides at No. 1433 Belle Plaine avenue and has his office at No. 526 West Division
street. He is prominent in Masonry, holding membership in Lincoln Park Lodge,
A. F. & A. M., Lincoln Park Chapter, Apollo Commandery, K. T., Oriental Con-
sistory of the Scottish Rite and Medinah Temple of the Mystic Shrine, while his
wife is a member of the Order of the Eastern Star. Dr. Hess is a worthy exemplar
of the Masonic fraternity, exemplifying in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft
and at all times supporting its tenets and its principles. In his life he also has
shown many of the sterling characteristics of his nationality and his record is cred-
itable alike to the land of his birth and to the land of his adoption.



JOHN M. WILLIAMS.

The builders of a city are not only the men who fill the offices and institute
the public improvements, for in this class also deserve to be numbered those who
proved their faith in the city and its future by placing their investments here and
by so doing stimulated commercial, industrial and financial activity. In such a

Vol. V 32



718 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

connection John M. Williams deserves mention. He was one of Chicago's early
residents and with the exception of a brief period spent in California and a year
in Elgin, this state, he remained continuously a resident of Chicago from 1848 until
his death, on the 9th of March, 1901. To see him was to know what manner of
man he was. His countenance was expressive of a well spent and temperate life
and of a kindly spirit. He possessed a retiring disposition and, therefore, never
attempted to figure prominently in public affairs, yet he wielded a potent though
quiet influence in behalf of progress and of substantial development along material,
intellectual and moral lines.

He was born in Morrisville, New York, in 1821, a son of Amariah and Olive
(Read) Williams. The latter was in her girlhood days a resident of Ashford,
Connecticut. The former, also a native of that state, removed to New York and
there they reared their family, affording their son John M. the opportunity of
attending the public schools and later of pursuing an academic course in Morris-
ville and further study in the Oneida Conference Seminary, at Cazenovia, New
York. He put aside his text-books to assume the responsibilities of life in con-
nection with a business career and his early experience came to him as a clerk in
a general store in his native town. The west with its broadening opportunities,
however, attracted him and in the spring of 1818 Chicago numbered him with her
residents. Here he became one of the organizers of the firm of Lull & Williams,
lumber dealers, with a yard at the corner of Randolph and Jefferson streets, the
former thoroughfare being at that time the main road to the country, while Union
Park was the furthermost limit of settlement to the west. Farmers from far
into the interior of the state brought their produce to Chicago with ox teams and
it was not an unusual thing to see many of these, sometimes two and three deep,
extending from half a mile to a mile back from the river, each wagon loaded with
grain or produce. With the opening of the Illinois and Michigan canal, in the
spring of 1848, there was given an impetus to trade that greatly promoted the
lumber business and the firm of Lull & Williams enjoyed prosperity from the
beginning, owing to the rapid settlement of the section lying to the west and south
of Chicago. However, impaired health forced Mr. Williams to retire in the fall
of 1848. The following year he started for the gold fields of California and met
with fair success in his search for the precious metal, but a year's residence in the
wilderness and mining camps of that far-off state convinced him that he preferred
the prairie region of Illinois. He was for about a year a resident of Elgin and in
the spring of 1851 he again became a factor in the business circles of Chicago,
where he joined Martin Ryerson and a Mr. Morris in the organization of the
firm of Ryerson, Williams & Company. With the establishment of their lumber-
yard at the corner of Fulton and Canal streets their business grew steadily and
had assumed extensive proportions when the firm dissolved five years later. At
that time the Board of Trade was located on the northeast corner of South Water
street and Fifth avenue and the lumbermen constituted the majority in its mem-
ship. Therefore, they were accorded committees and inspection regulations of
their own choosing and Mr. Williams became one of the early members of the
board. He was also connected with the grain and commission business from 1861
until 1863 but afterward concentrated his energies largely upon real-estate in-
vestment and the improvement of his property. He was a factor in mercantile



CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS 719

circles in the wholesale hardware business from 1869 until 1871, when the great
fire of October destroyed his store and other improved property which he held
in that section. He suffered less loss than many of his colleagues because of the
fact that he held insurance in English companies and therefore he was one of
the first to rebuild, erecting a fine business block at the corner of Monroe street
and Fifth avenue.

In 1868 Mr. Williams became a resident of Evanston, purchasing property at
the corner of Hinman avenue and Clark street, where the family homestead has
since been maintained. In 1850 he had married Miss Elizabeth C. Smith, of
Nelson, New York, and they became the parents of thirteen children, seven of
vvhom survive. The wife and mother passed away in 1895 and after two years
Mr. Williams wedded Mrs. Annie Dearborn, of Calais, Maine. He is survived
by four sons and four daughters: Mrs. Park E. Simmons and Nathan W., who
are residents of Evanston; Lucien M., living in Chicago-; Alan N.; Mrs. Charles
D. Blainey and Mrs. Robert C. Kirkwood, all of California; Mrs. J. J. Husser,
of Buena Park; and a son of the second marriage.

During the period of his residence in Evanston Mr. Williams' time was largely
occupied with the supervision of his real-estate investments in Chicago and by his
extensive holdings in pine and iron' lands on the north shore of Lake Superior.
He displayed keen discrimination and notable sagacity in the purchase of property
and by reason of his holdings was enabled to leave his family in very affluent cir-
cumstances. Ever interested in the welfare of Evanston, he served for one term
as president of the village board, to which he was elected April 29, 1879. Polit-
ical honors, however, had little attraction for him as he preferred to reach out
along lines that had their inspiration in a broad humanitarian spirit. Soon after
he came to Chicago he joined the First Congregational church and, following his
removal to Evanston, became one of the charter members of the First Congrega-
tional church and served as deacon for many years. He was also interested in
the work of the Chicago Commons and a most generous contributor to the cause.
He was instrumental in the erection of the park fountain in 1876 and many times
manifested his sympathy with public projects in a liberal support thereof. His
life rounded out four score years and "the blest accompaniments of age were his
honor, riches, troops of friends."



DAVID EDWARD MEIER, M. D.

Among the prominent north-side physicians is numbered Dr. David Edward
Meier a young man whose ability and energy, however, have gained him a reputa-
tion which many an older physician might well envy. He was born at Easton,
Pennsylvania, February 22, 1884, and is a son of Meyer and Henrietta Meier, of
Chicago. The former was born in France and on coming to the United States
with his parents in his childhood days settled at Easton, Pennsylvania. Unto
him and his wife were born six children but only four are now living.

Dr. Meier acquired his early education in the public schools of Chicago, having
been brought to this city in his early childhood. He continued his course through



720 CHICAGO: ITS HISTORY AND ITS BUILDERS

the high school and was a lad of only ten years when he made up his mind to
become a physician. From that time on he was always planning to obtain a
good education and then study medicine. After leaving the high school he ac-
cepted a position with Schwarzschild & Sulzberger in the capacity of bookkeeper.
He continued with that house for four years and in the meantime carefully saved
his earnings until in 1906 he was able to enter the Chicago College of Medicine
and Surgery, from which he was graduated in 1910. He afterward did post-



Online LibraryJ. Seymour (Josiah Seymour) CurreyChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth (Volume v.5) → online text (page 70 of 74)