as assistant, and for two or three years the school prospered, but unfortun-
ately friction arose between the trustees and Mr. Dick, resulting in the latter's
In 1854 the trustees appointed by John A. Carman leased to the county
trustees the building and equipment, but in 1857 a new lease was drawn for a
term of ninety-nine years.
HIGH SCHOOLS 141
Albert Carman was chosen principal of the school in 1854. He had barely
reached his majority, was a recent graduate of Victoria College, possessed
no previous experience in teaching, but yet during his three years stay the
interests of the school advanced. In 1857 Mr. Carman accepted the Professor-
ship of Mathematics in the Belleville Seminary, now known as Albert College.
He soon became principal of the Belleville institution; was elected Bishop of
the Methodist Episcopal church, and subsequently as head of the united
Methodist churches in Canada, an honored and important position which he
Edmund R. Davies was the next principal of the school. He resigned in
1858, and was succeeded by Samuel Cowan, later Dr. Cowan, who for a time
practiced in Iroquois.
W. A. Whitney, successor to Mr. Cowan, as headmaster of the school, was
born in the township of Augusta, September 5, 1834. He commenced teaching
at the age of sixteen, and by diligence and perseverance obtained a college
education. Just before coming to Iroquois he graduated in Arts at Victoria
University. His connection with the school covered a period of nearly 26
The first board of trustees during Mr. Whitney's regime were James Croil,
Dr. Sherman, Alex. McDonald, Win. Elliott, J . S. Boss and Philip Carman.
The principal's salary was $600, which was later increased to $900; there was no
assistant, and about 25 pupils enrolled. The Government grant was small,
being based on the attendance of classical pupils; neither the counties' nor
village councils contributed a cent towards maintenance, and in fact the
institution was scarcely paying its way. After Mr. Whitney had been in charge
for a few months he proposed to the board that they hand over to him the
Government grant and fees, and he would employ an assistant and pay all
charges of maintenance, insurance, etc. The proposal was readily accepted
and continued satisfactory for six years. In 1865 the establishment of the
Morrisburg Grammar school caused a slight decrease in attendance. A
terrible epidemic of typhoid fever visited the village in 1867, and many deaths
resulted. The effect on the school was disastrous, the attendance dwindled
down to two, when the board closed the institution for two months. The
frequent change of assistants, caused largely by insufficient salary offered,
was another disadvantage. Those who served with Mr. Whitney were Miss
E. Bailey, Mrs. Whitney, Miss Weagant, Miss Stephens, Miss Holden, Miss
Anna Carman, Miss Ada Lane, Mr. Ross, Jas. A . Carman, Philo. A. Whitney,
Mr. Clough, Mr. Leslie, Mr. Creelman, Mr. Crosby, Alexander McLeod, Mr.
Kinney, Mr. Montgomery and Mr. Potter.
About 1880 the rivalry caused by the Morrisburg school was more keenly
felt. At the Iroquois school Mr. Whitney's high reputation as a teacher was
142 THE STORY OF DtJNDAS
the main support. The equipment of the building was poor and the assistants,
though many of them good teachers,remained so short a time as to afford little
proof of their ability. The report of the High School Inspector for 1883, '84
and '85 were favorable, but in 1886 Inspector John Seath, who evidently had
no liking for sterotyped reports, applied the lash by strongly denouncing the
equipment and condition of the premises. It is apparent that his remarks
were timely, for to use the words of the school historian: "The institution
had been starved; it was shabby and out at the elbows, and appeared to disad-
vantage among neighboring schools."
In 1885 Mr. Whitney severed his long connection with the school. His
labors had been fruitful ; in fact the best of his life had been devoted to the in-
stitution and the general good of the community, a record of usefulness which
remains as a monument to his memory more enduring than stone.
The new principal was James A. Carman, son of the founder of the school.
From 1879 to 1884 Mr. Carman had been principal of Kemptville High school,
which position he resigned to accompany Mrs. Carman to Denver, where she
went in search of health. Upon his return he accepted the head mastership
of the Iroquois school, in the interests of which hia choice proved indeed a
A. C. Cas-jelman, Mr. Carman's confrere, was born in the township of
Finch, June 23, 1860. In 1877 while attending the Morrisburg Grammar school
he obtained a third-class certificate; taught a Public school for a time;
returned to the High school and obtained a second-class certificate; in 1884 he
secured a first-class certificate at St. Catharines Collegiate Institute; taught
the Haddo Public school for an interval before coming to Iroquois.
In 1886 the present High school building was constructed at a cost exceeding
$11,000. The contractor was Patrick Keefe. A third teacher was then
required, and an excellent choice was made in Ralph Ross, an able and
efficient instructor. In 1889 Mr. Ross was replaced by John S. Carstairs.
This brings us to a new era in the school, commonly designated by the three
C's Carman, Casselman and Carstairs under whose efforts the institution
John S. Carstairs is the second son of Robert Carstairs, and was born in
Kingston in 1S62. His boyhood days were spent in Iroquois until his parents
removed to Arnprior. In 1879 he returned to Iroquois and resumed his
studies at the High school; in May, 1880, he passed his Senior Matriculation
at the University of Toronto; a month later secured his second-class cer-
tificate and followed Public school teaching until his accession to a position
on the staff of the Iroquois High school.
At the close 1891 Mr. Casselman withdrew from the school to accept
HIGH SCHOOLS 143
the position of drawing and writing master in the Normal school
Toronto. The institution had so prospered that it now became a four master
school. During the first half of 1892, T. K. Sedey, B.A., relieved Mr. Carstairs
who left to complete his course at the University, while Bo bert Thompson
succeeded Mr. Casselman. A. H. Hark ness, a student of the school, was
engaged to take the drawing until the midsummer vac ation, and at the be-
ginning of the new term Miss Ida Dillabough, of Dundela, was engaged.
Miss Dillabough (now Mrs. Forward, Ottawa,) was a student of the Morr is-
burg Collegiate Institute, where she obtained a first-class non-professional
certificate; attended the School of Pedagogy at Kingston, after which the
taught a year and a half in Norwood High school.
B. H. Knox, Mr. Thompson's sccessor, was born in the town of St. M ary's in
1868. At the age of 11 years he passed the entrance examination; at 15 took
his third-class certificate; at 16 his second class; and at 17 matriculated.
In 1892 he graduated in Arts from Victoria University, and previous to his
coming to Iroquois had been engaged at other High schools and Collegiate
In 1893 Messrs. Carman and Carstairs resigned and a new regime began.
Joseph A. Jackson, the next principal, was born of English parentage. At
the close of his Public school course he entered the Kemptville High school;
graduated from that institution and the Athens Model school and taught for
a time; in June, 1885, he matriculated at the Cobourg Collegiate Institute, and
in 1889 graduated from Victoria University with first-class honors in Meta-
physics, Logic and Civil Polity. He was a member of the staff of Gananoque
and Kemptville High schools before coming to Iroquois.
Mr. Jackson assumed charge of the school with assistants, Mr. Knox, Miss
Nellie Boss and M iss Zella Hare . The two ladies were graduates of Toronto
University, the former being a daughter of Hon. G. W. Boss: both resigned at
the close of the year, and were replaced by Miss Ida Dillabough and James M.
Warren, respectively. Mr. Warren is a native of Hamilton, where he
attended the Collegiate Institute, and in 1890 obtained a first-class Bmn-
professional certificate. He subsequently graduated from Toronto University
and School of Pedagogy, securing honors in the latter school.
This staff was a good one. The Inspector's reports were favorable, and the
school made progress. The trustee board in 1895 was composed of Dr. John
Harkness, chairman; Edward McNulty, secretary-treasurer; J. N. Forward,
B. M. Bouck, Howard Durant and N. G. Sherman. Up to the close of 1895
perhaps the only name we have omitted from the teaching staff is that of
Miss H. A. Snider, M. A., who during the last term of that year was engaged
temporarily to give Miss Dillabough. a rest.
144 THE STORY OF DUNDAS
On September 2, 1895, the semi-centennial of the Iroquois High school was
duly marked by a re-union celebration. This event was brilliantly suc-
cessful, a red-letter day in the school's history. There were assembled
from far and near many of the old boys and girls, whose voices once again
mingled together on the old campus; scenes almost forgotten were recalled,
and stories of school life, mellowed by years, were retold.
At this point in the school's career it was deemed proper that a history of
the institution should be written . The task was assigned to Adam Harkness,
and his work was so well executed as not only to reflect honor upon the
writer, but to enable those familiar with many of the scenes to live the old
times over again. Mr . Harkness may well feel proud of the success of this
work, from which we have been privileged to secure a maximum share of this
sketch of the school. The memorial volume was published in neat form, well
illustrated, and handsomely bound. To the institution the work is a monu-
ment of greater endurance than marble, and is more and more prized as time
Since the jubilee celebration the staff of the school has been constituted as
follows: 1896 J. A. Jackson, B.A., principal; assistants, J. M. Warren, B.A.,
R. H. Knox, B. A., Miss I. P. Dillabough. 1897 J. A. Jackson, B. A., prin-
cipal; B. H. Knox, B. A., T. E. A. Stanley, B. A., Miss I. F. Dillabough.
1898 J. A. Jackson, B. A., principal; R. H. Knox, B. A., (1st half); T. E. A.
Stanley, B. A., W. Dixon Craig, B.A., (2nd half); Miss M. H. Rose, (2nd half.)
1899 J. A. Jackson, B. A., principal; T. E. A. Stanley, B. A., W. Dixon
Craig, B. A., (1st half); D. Whyte, B. A., (2nd half); Miss M. H. Rose. 1900
J. A. Jackson, B.A., principal, (1st half); T. E. A. Stanley, B. A., D. Whyte,
B.A., (1st half); P. P. Munro, B. A., (2nd half); William Smeaton, B. A., (2nd
half); MissM. H. Rose. 1901 T. E. A. Stanley, B. A., principal; William
Smeaton, B. A., P. F. Munro, B. A., (1st half); W. G. Anderson, B. A., (2nd
half); Miss M. H. Rose. 1902 T. E. A. Stanley, B. A., principal; William
Smeaton, B. A., W. G. Anderson, B. A., Miss M. H. Rose. 1903 T. E. A-
Stanley, B.A., principal; W. G. Anderson, B. A., William Smeaton, B. A.,
(1st hall'); Arthur Smith, B. A., (2nd half); Miss M. H. Rose. 1904 T. E. A.
Stanley, B. A., principal; W. G. Anderson, B. A., Arthur Smith, B. A., Miss
M. H. Rose.
The present trustee board of the Iroquois High school is composed as fol-
lows : John Harkness, M. D., chairman ; Edward McNulty, secretary-treas-
urer ; W. J. Sharra, Dr. D. Johnston, N. W. Sherman, Samuel Landon, John
Like so many others who find positions in eastern Ontario High schools,
Mr. Stanley, the present principal of the Iroquois school, is a western man, and
IROQUOIS HIGH SCHOOL.
1 T. E. A. Stanley (Principal), 2 W. G. Anderson. 3 Miss M. H. Rose. 4 Ar-
thur Smith, 5 I. H. S. Building, 6 I. H. S. Football Team, 1904.
HIGH SCHOOLS 147
like two of his predecessors (Ralph Ross and R. H. Knox) is a graduate of St.
Mary's Collegiate Institute. A nattve of Perth county, Ontario, his boyhood
was spent on a farm near the village of Granton. He passed the entrance
examination in December, 1883 ; obtained a second-class non-professional
teacher's certificate from Granton Public school in 1888 ; Honor Matriculation
from St. Mary's Collegiate Institute in 1888 ; graduated from Toronto Uni-
versity in June, 1892, with honors in the double course of Mathematics,
Physics and English; obtained a certificate from the School of Pedagogy in
Toronto in December, 1892, and in January, 1893, at the age of 83, became
Mathematical Master of the Cayuga High school. In 1897 he received an ap-
pointment on the Iroquois High school staff, and upon the resignation of Mr.
Jackson in June, 1900, Mr. Stanley was promoted to the principalship.
W. G. Anderson, B. A., was born in the 7th concession of Edwardsburg,
Grenville Co., Out., Sept. 25, 1871. His boyhood was spent on the farm and
at the Shanly Public school. He entered the Iroquois High school in Septem-
ber, 1887, as the gold medallist at the previous entrance examination. Three
years were spent there under the regime of James Carman, B. A. In 1890 Mr.
Anderson obtained a second-class non-professional certificate, and in the fall
of that year attended the f rescott Model school. After spending some years
in Public school work at New Ross and Shanly, he attended the Ottawa
Normal school during the spring term of 1895, graduating with honors. He
then spent a year at the Morrisburg Collegiate Institute in quest of a first-
class certificate, and spent the remainder of the year 1896 at the Model school
in that village. The beginning of 1897 saw the subject of our sketch enrolled
as an Arts student at Victoria University, Toronto, graduating therefrom in
June, 1900, as a B. A., with honors in Classics. The next academic year was
spent at the Normal College, Hamilton, and in the fall of 1901 Mr. Anderson
joined the staff of his Alma Mater in his present capacity of Classical master.
Arthur Smith, B. A., was born in Morpeth, Kent county. He attended the
Public school in his native town till he obtained a third-class certificate. He
then enrolled at the Ridgetown Collegiate Institute, graduating in 1890 with a
Senior Leaving certificate and Honor Matriculation standing in Mathematics,
English History and Geography, French and German. After teaching for a
time he entered the University of Toronto, and during the first year took che
double honor course of Mathematics and Physics and Natural Science, and
succeeded in getting first-class honors in both, but reluctantly gave up his
Mathematics during the second year and graduated in 1900 with honors in
Natural Science. He taught for a time in Essex and Newmarket High schools
before he was appointed Science Master in Iroquois High school, in Sept., 1903.
Miss M. H. Rose resigned her position as Modern Language teacher in the
Campbellford High school in midsummer, 1898, to accept a similiar position in
148 THE STORY OF DTJNDAS
the Iroquois school. Besides holding a first-class teacher's certificate she has
taken a course in Modern Languages at Toronto University, and is a qualified
specialist in French and German. Miss Rose, a grand daughter of John R.
Ker, who first taught Classics in Iroquois, belongs properly to Dundas county,
and it is only recently that her mother left. Morrisburg to reside in Iroquois.
Students' societies in connection with the school are energetically carried on.
These include Athletic Association, Basketball Club, Literary and Scientific
Association (editorial staff, The Tattler) and Glee Club.
The Iroquois High school stands very high among the High schools of the
Province, and in some respects atjleast surpasses many of the Collegiate
Institutes. For a number of years it has been very close between the Iroquois
and Berlin schools for the best equipment in the physical apparatus of any
High school in the Province. At present each has about $1,100 worth of
appliances. In addition to a liberal equipment for experimental work in
Chemistry, Electricity and Magnetism, Sound, Light, Heat, Mechanics and
Hydrostatics, the school possesses a modern Colt projecting lantern of the
best grade, with which work is done that otherwise would have to be assigned
to the University. The value of the Reference Library is over $600, and in
this respect it is easily first among the High schools; only two have a more
valuable set of maps and charts. and none other has so valuable a museum. In
recent years the school has progressed in the matter of attendance. It speaks
much for the people of Iroquois and Matilda and adjoining section of Gren-
ville county, when a school having Morrisburg Collegiate Institute so near
on the east, Prescott High school on the west,Kemptville on the north, and the
St. Lawrence shutting off the south, that such a large number of pupils from
so limited a territory avail themselves of the advantages of High school
education. In 1895 .the average attendance was 95. In 1897 the number on
the roll for one term reached 122, and the average about 103. In common
with all Ontario schools the attendance suffered a temporary decline during
the next few years, averaging about 89 in 1898, 78 in 1899 and 72 in 1900. From
that time until the present the increase has been rapid. In 1901 there was an
average attendance of 77, in 1902 of 88, and in the first half of 1900 of 95.
During the fall term of 1903 the number on the roll reached 129, and the
average daily attendance 116.
The school has been favorably known among educational men throughout
the Province for a number of years past, and of late it is acquiring even
greater prominence. In 1901 Miss M. B. Moore won a valuable scholarship at
the Honor Matriculation examination, Queen's University; and in 1903 Miss
Margaret E. Carman won for the school the most coveted honor that falls to
the lot of any of our institutions of secondary education, by carrying off one
of the Edward Blake General Proficiency scholarships, awarded on the results
of the Honor Matriculation examination for Toronto University.
HIGH SCHOOLS 149
The board takes a pride in having the best available staff, and the equip-
ment most modern and thorough. A new Karn piano, and the installation of
electric lighting in the building are among the more recent evidences of
Before closing our reference to this important seat of learning it would
afford us pleasure to refer particularly to the extensive alumini, but our limit-
ed space makes it impossible. From this school have gone forth many who
have since occupied high stations in life, who have played nobly their part in
the world's march. Almost sixty years have elapsed since the birth of this
grand institution, during which time its beneficent influence has been ex-
tended to almost every quarter of the globe.
The following list of successful candidates for Junior or Senior Leaving or
Matriculation examinations, covering a period of eleven years (1893 to 1904)
will serve as a partial index of the success of the school :
Alton Anderson, Frank Armstrong, B. A., Frank Anderson, Kenneth Ander-
son, W. J. Adams, Ethel M. Armstrong, W. J. Armstrong, Eunice Armstrong,
Hester Bailey, E. L. Brown, M. D., Lome Bouck, Charles Bouck, Hattie A.
Byers, Laura Coons, H. M. Collison, M. D., John Collison, M. D., David Col-
lison, Albert Coulter, EffieM. Clark, George Clarke, F. G. Conklin, D. D. S.,
J. R.R. Cooper, B. A., Maggie Carman, R. H. Crobar, Addie Dixon, Sophia
Dondaldson, J. H. Donnelly, W. P. Dillon, J. fl. Dixon, G. E. Donaldson, A.
Nina Driscoll, Maggie L. Edwards, W. M. Edwards, Frances M. Edwards,
May Ennis, H. C. Fader, Charles Forward, Gertie I. Gibbons, Maggie Gibbons,
J. A. Groleau, Delia Gallinger, J. M. Gibbons, Kate Harkness, Jennie L.Hark-
ness, J. G . Harkness, George Hanson, Ada M. Harkness, A. L. Harkness, R.
D. Keefe, B. A., W. S. Keefe, M. J. Keys, Rufus Keys, A. E. Lidstone, M. D.,
Mabel Landon, M. E. Leizert, A. W. Macalister, Bertha Millar, James Mont-
gomery, E. S. Munro, Urcilla Macalister, B. A., Annie Merkley, Ella Millar,
F. J. Mullin, I. A. Montgomery, Margaret B. Moore, Maggie B. Munroe, M.
H. McQuaig, Gideon Mclvor, Mary A. McGinn, Lome Mclntosh, James Mc-
Robie, MaryE. McMurray, P. A. Mclntosh, B. A., Bertha MacDonald, F. E.
McQuaig, Jean Macalister, Ethel McCoy, G. R. Peterson, Anna L. Redmond,
W. J. Raney, Grace Redmond, H. E. Reilley, E. J. Rylance, P. D. Strader, A.
E. Shaver, L. D. S., Geo. Thompson, Nancy Thompson, E. H. Thorpe, Cora
Vancamp, A. B. Vancamp, W. H. Wood, B. A., W. H. Wright, L. D. S., J.
N. Wilson, John Wallace, LillieB. Waddell, R. T. Williams, E. Mae Will-
iams, A. F. C. Whalley.
MORRISBUBO COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE
This institution, originally known as the "Morrisburg Grammar School,"
was established in 1804 in connection with the Public school of the village.
160 THE STORY OF DUNDA8
The first meeting of the Grammar school trustees was held at the Town Hall,
on Nov. 26th of that year, the members present being A. G. Macdonell, I. N.
Rose, H. G. Merkley, William Meikle, Warner Casselman and P. Gormley.
In 1865 the boards of Public and Grammar schools joined forces to form a
union board, with chairman I. N. Rose, and secretary A. Farlinger.
J. R. Yeomans, B. A., was the first head master of the Morrisburg Gram-
mar school. His yearly stipend was $700, but his duties also covered the
work of the Public school. The tuition fees of the school were two dollars per
quarter to pupils residing within the municipality, and four dollars to pupils
residing outside. The class rooms were located in the upper flat of the
Public school building.
Rev. J. McClure, B. A., was appointed head master in January, 1866, but
was replaced in November of that year by W. E. Scott, B. A., who remained
during the next three years. The Grammar school trustees for 1866 were Dr.
A. B. Sherman, chairman ; John Barry, Warner Casselman, Wm. Gordon,
Rev. Mr. Huntin and Rev. Wm. Bennett. On Dec. 20, 1869, the union of the
boards was dissolved, but on May 14, 1870, they again came together and have
since continued a Board of Education.
The next head master was a Mr. Lee, B. A., who remained but a few months,
his successor being P. C. McGregor, B. A., who served until the close of the
year 1871. During that year the institution was re-christened the "Morrisburg
High School," with a staff of two teachers.
Mr. Poole, B. A., became head master in 1872 ; W. M. Elliott, M. A., in
1873 ; E. .L. Chamberlain, B. A., in 1874, and during those years Mr. Cheney,
B. A., was assistant. In 1875 I. Stuart, B. A., became head master at a salary
of $800 per annum. His assistants from time to time were Mr. Wholegan, of
Matilda ; Alex. Stewart, B. A.. Wm. Elliott, B. A., and Mr. Irvine, B. A. Mr.
Stewart was a capable principal, had the interests of the school at heart,
was appreciated as a citizen, and remained connected with the school until
the close of 1880, when he tendered his resignation on account of failing
Up to 1875 there was but one building to accommodate both High and
Public schools. With the increased population of the village and the meritor-
ious reputation which was current regarding the High school, the attendance
at both had been greatly increased. This congested condition was remedied
by the erection of the new Public school building, the upper story of which
was reserved for High school purposes.
In December, 1878, there appeared the first number of a local publication,
known as The High School Journal, representing the students of the Mor-
risburg High school. The joint editors were Irwin Hilliard, Chas. B. Roe and
HIGH SCHOOLS 151
Frank Plantz. Some of the members of this unique paper contain notes of
interest. Among these, an honor roll for the year 1879 presents the names of
Charles B. Roe, Irwin Hilliard, James Wallace, Myron Cleland, Peter Mc-
Laughlin, Lennie Fell, Frank Lyle, Esther A. Fraser, Donald Russell, Frank
Plantz, Win. Nash, Wm. Gibson, John Dickey, Annie Castleman, Maggie
Hunter, Wm. Johnston, Nina Brown. About a year seems to have been the
limit of the paper's existence.
John O. McGregor was head master during 1881 and '82, and on December
18th of the latter year at a meeting of the board a resolution was passed which
meant much for the future progress of the school. It read as follows: "Moved
in amendment by W. H. Meikle, seconded by John Fetterly, that the appli-
cation J. 8. Jauiieson be accepted, at a salary of 900." Mr. Jamieson began,
his labors as head master in 1883.
In 1878 some effort had been made to erect a High school building apart