Since the institution of the Iroquois circuit the following pastors
have been in charge: 1884-6, Alfred McCann; 18S5-8,G. G. Huxtable; 1888-91, W.
H. Sparling, B A.; 1891-4, George Rogers; 1894-7, F. G. Lett; 1897-1900, J . T .
Pitcher; 1900-03, John Webster; 1903-4, Richard Corrigan.
Rev. R. Corrigan, B. A., B. D., was born in the village of Inkennan, town-
ship of Mountain. He attended the local Public schools and the Kemptville
High school, and in 1890 graduated in art* from Victoria University,receiving
honorable mention in philosophy and obtaining the Clark prize in ethics. He
secured the degree of Bachelor of Divinity from the same institution after
its removal to Toronto and federation with the Provincial University. In
1893 Mr. Corrigan was ordained to the Christian ministry. He served three
years at Mason ville, three at Magog and four on Inverness circuits, in the
Eastern Townships. In 1903, in accordance with a call extended, he was
transferred to the Iroquois circuit.
MATILDA CIRCUIT, 1884.
This circuit as set apart from Iroquois in 1884 held its first quarterly official
meeting at Brinston's Corners, Aug. 4th, 1884. The representatives present
were : Rev. E. W. Crane, Andrew Henderson, R. S. Rose, R. Armstrong, W .
Wood ; local preacher, Charles Munroe ; leaders, J. V. Wright, W. WaddelL,
J. Cassehnan, A. Coons. A. Gallagher, C. Adams, T. Briggs, T. Johnston;
Sabbath school superintendents, G. Keys, J. J. Fader, R. M. Bouck, J. Hamil-
ton, G. Shaver ; Stewards, M. J. Barkley, D. Hamilton, A. Coons, C. Locke,
W. Marshall, W. Shaver, H. McQuigg, G. Shaver, W. Dodge, M. Murdoch, W.
Fader, John Fader.
The following ministers have been in charge : E. W. Crane, assistants
174 THE STORY OF DUNDAS
Messrs. Henderson and McMullen ; W. T. Smith, assistants Messrs. Hartwell,
Munroe, S. E. Sells, Skeat ; Rev. Reynolds, assistants Messrs. Warren, Ains-
worth, Arthur Mills ; F. Chisholm, assistant J. V. Smith ; F. W. A. Meyer,
assistants W. T. Brown, J. A. Dorman, Calvin Beeker ; J. E. Lidstone, assist-
ants W. Brown, B. W. Thompson, J. I. Hughes ; Thos. McAminond, assist-
ants H. Philp, A. E. Hagar, W. G. Connolly. The recording stewards have
been Michael Barkley 1884-7, Joseph Payne 1887-90, A. Coons 1890, W. G.
Smyth 1890-1901. At the close of the conference year of 1900-01 the circuit
was divided into two separate charges, designated respectively "Matilda" and
MATILDA CIRCUIT, 1901.
This circuit is composed of four appointments, to each of which we will refer
The Brown church (Brinston's Corners) was built in the early 70's, during
the ministry of Rev. J. E. Mavety, the site having been donated by William
Locke. The initial meeting in connection with the erection of this church
was held in Alonzo Shaver's carriage shop, and a considerable sum was at
once subscribed to promote the project. Previous to this the congregation
worshipped in the Locke, Dixon and Branch school-houses. The Brown
church, still in use, is soon to be replaced by a new one.
The Wesley appointment originally included two churches, the M. E.
church, built about thirty-three years ago, and the Wesley, built during
the pastorate of Rev. William Pearson. Since the union was consummated
the united congregations have worshipped in the latter church, while a few
years ago the M. E. church was converted into a Public school building at
The Hainsville church was built one year later than the Brown church. It
is a substantial brick building, and about two years ago was thoroughly re-
paired, and the interior appropriately decorated.
Glen Stewart church (Sandy Creek) was built during the summer of 1902,
during the pastorate of Rev. C. J. Curtis, and dedicated by Rev. J. E. Mav-
ety, chairman of the Brockville District. This church, very tastefully con-
structed, cost about $2 000, and is practically free of debt.
Rev. C. J. Curtis, the first pastor of the circuit as now constituted, is a son
of J. W. Curtis of the wholesale firm of Curtis & Co., Liverpool, England.
When a young man he entered the Wesleyan ministry, and for three years
was engaged in city mission work as lay preacher. In 1878 he came to Can-
ada, entered the ministry, and served as junior pastor at Guelph, Harriston
and Aurora. In 1884 he entered the Montreal conference and since then has
Baptist Roman Catholic. Anglican
(Winchester) (South Mountain). (Iroquois.)
Methodist (Iroquois). . Holiness Movement (Chesterville)
Presbyterian (Winchester). Methodist (Dundela).
RELIGIOUS LIFE 177
been stationed at Lawrehceville, Que.; West Brome, Que. ; Bedford, Que. ; Ul-
verton, Que. ; Invermay, Ont. ; Newington, Stormont county ; Matilda, Dun-
das county, and Nepean, Carleton county. In 1904 Rev. Fred. Tripp succeeded
Mr. Curtis on the Matilda circuit.
MATILDA SOUTH CIRCUIT
Three appointments, Dundela, Rowena and Glover, constitute -his
circuit. The first minister was Rev. W. A. Wilson, an able and forceful
Rev. E. W. S, Coates, the next pastor, was born in Prescott, about 30 years
ago. He was educated at the Public and High schools of his native town;
took a course at the British-American Business College, and for three years
engaged in mercantile life at. Ottawa and New York. Inspired by the needs
in the ministerial field he left a very remunerative position in the latter city,
erite red Victoria University, Toionto, and at the close of his theological course
engaged in the active work of the ministry. He travelled Lyn, Shawvilleand
Hendersonville circuits before coming to South Matilda, where for two years
he was a zealous and earnest pastor. Mr. Coates is now stationed at Hinton-
burg, Carleton county.
Rev. R M. Thompson, who now ministers to the congregations of Matilda
South, was born at Pembr ike, Dec. 13, 1882. He was educated in his native
town, and at the age of nineteen entered upon the work of the ministry. He
is a fluent and convincing speaker.
Dundela church was built in 1831. This appointment is the largest on the
circuit ; the church is well supported, and as. recently as 1903 repairs to the
amount of $500 were made. The earliest church at this place was known as
Munroe church, the name of Gilbert Munroe being associated with its found-
ing. Many people can remember the old church with its quaint pews and the
soul-stirring sermons preached within its walls .
Rowena church was built in 1864 and dedicated the following year. In 1885
it was practically rebuilt at a cost of nearly $1,000, the re-opening being
held in March, 1886.
Glover Methodist church was built in 1838, estimated cost $1,500. Previous
to that time services were held in the old school house. The present trustees
of the church are : Nelson Tousant, Simon Merkley, Wm. Briggs, Byron
Glover, Charles W. Serviss, Milton Cross, Robt. Hare.
At each appointment good Sabbath schools are conducted, and a branch of
the W. F. M. S. was organized in 1903, during the pastorate of Rev. E. W. S .
Coates. At Rowena, the central appointment, the meetings of the quarterly
official board are conducted. W. G. Smyth is recording steward. By arbi-
178 THE STORY OF DUNBA8
tration the claims of this circuit upon the parsonage property at Brinston's
Corners was recently determined at $400; the arbitrators were: T. 8. Edwards,
Iroquois ; Ashley Vancamp, Cardinal, and Joel Adams, Shanly. Possibly
the question of constructing a parsonage will in time occupy the attention
of the people of Matilda South.
MOBK1SBURG MBTHODI8T CIRCUIT
This charge was originally embraced in the Oswegatchie circuit formed by
William Lessee. Just at what time Methodist services were held in the
vicinity of what is now Morrisburg is hard to determine, but as early as 1835
service was held in the house of Morris Beckstead. Later the school house at
Mariatown became the rallying point of the Methodists and there a union
church was built in 1857. From 1830 to 1857 Morrisburg formed a part of the
Matilda circuit, but in the latter year was erected into a separate circuit with
rural appointments attached.
Rev. John B. Armstrong, the first pastor of the Morrisburg charge, encour-
aged the building of the brick edifice on Church street, now owned by the
Salvation Army. To accommodate the growing congregation and conserve
the spiritual interests of the church the present edifice was erected during the
pastorate of Rev. Alex. Campbell.
In 1884 occurred the union of the several Canadian Methodist bodies, in
consequence of which the Methodist Episcopal and Canada Methodist congre-
gations of Morrisburg became one, retaining the Canada Methodist church as
their place of worship, and disposing of the M. E. church to the Roman Cath-
Turning our attention briefly to the methods of former times, we learn that
for the year 1861-2 the following allowances were made for the support of
the pastor :Quarterage, $240 ; family allowance, $172 ; children's claim, $85 ;
house-keeping, $50; fuel, $40 ; travelling expenses, $13; making a total of $600.
The circuit appropriations were as follows : Morrisburg, $150 cash, $20 pro-
visions ; Robertson's, $45 cash, $60 provisions ; Reddick's, $21 cash, $28 pro-
visions ; Van Allen's, $16 cash, $20 provisions ; P. Ault's, $22 cash, $30 pro-
visions ; G. Turner's, $23 cash, $30 provisions ; Munroe's, $28 cash, $30 provis-
ions ; Cook's, $5 cash, $6 provisions ; total, $336 cash, $264 provisions.
Following is a list of pastors who have served since Morrisburg became
separated from Matilda circuit : 1857-9, John B. Armstrong ; 1860-1, William
Andrews ; 1862-3, J. S. Youmans ; 1864, J. S. Toumans and W. H. Rowsom ;
1865-6, William English ; 1867-9, William McGill ; 1870-2, J. S. Evans ; 1873-5,
Ebenezer Robson; 1876-7, R. M. Hammond ; 1878-80, Alexander Campbell ; Mr.
Kines, W. J. Crothers, J. T. Pitcher, Dr. Hansford, J. E. Mavety, William
Timberlake, W. H. Sparling, B. A., H. Cairns.
RELIGIOUS LIFE 179
Wm. Philp, B. A., B. D., the present pastor, is a son of the late Wm. Philp,
and was born in the township of Darlington, county of Durham. He was
educated at the Public schools, the Bowmanville Grammar School, and Vic*
toria University, securing his degree of B. A. in 1887, and B. D. in 1889. Like
many in the professional ranks Mr. Philp began life as a school teacher, and
in 1872 entered the Methodist ministry, his first charge being Manvers, his
home circuit. In 1873 he came east, and for the last thirty years has labored
successfully on several charges. He has held almost every office in the gift of
the church except the Presidency, and was twice elected Secretary of Confer-
The Morrisburg Methodist church is a handsome edifice, finely equipped,
and occupying a well chosen site. During the pastorate of Rev. Dr. Hans-
ford the pretty cemetery west of the town was purchased. The present com-
fortable and commodious parsonage was built while Rev. J . E. Mavety was
superintendent of the circuit. About the year 1850 a Sabbath school was
conducted in an old school hous e east of the residence of Mrs. I. N. Rose, but
the story of this early school has almost vanished. About 1859 the Sabbath
school was organized and held in the Methodist church. In 1862 C. De Castle
was appointed superintendent ; since then the following have officiated : Mr.
Porteous, Mr. Eacutt, Mr. Quinn, Arthur Brown, William Eagleton, Dr.
Hausford, A. C. Smith, I. Hilliard, M. S. Logan, Dr. Kayler, and the present
superintendent, J. S. Jamieson.
WINCHESTER METHODIST CIRCUIT
In Winchester as in other districts, the visits of the itinerant preachers
were in early days looked forward to with a degree of interest difficult to real-
ize by the present generation. The forests were then sparsely dotted with
the homes of the settlers who by perseverance and zeal laid the foundation for
the prosperity of the community, both spiritual and temporal.
The earliest services within the bounds of what is now Winchester circuit
were held from 1832 to 1839 in the homes of Andrew D. Summers, Mark Red'
mond and Richard Bolton. The first regular preaching service in Winchester
was held about the year 1838 in the home of Benjamin Bates, a log shanty
which stood just west of the present Baptist church lot. This for many
years was the headquarters of Methodism in the township.
The Kemptville circuit was formed in 1840 and for eight years Winchester
was attached thereto. During that period the ministers were: Rev. William
McOullough, Simon Huntingdon, Benjamin Nankeyille, James Elliott.
Services were held alternately at the homes of Benjamin Bates and Andrew
180 THE STORY OF DUNDAS
In August, 1844, arrangements were made to hold the first quarterly meet-
ing in a frame barn belonging to Joshua Annable. For some reason the min-
ister was unable to "attend 'arid the sacramental service had to be postponed,
la 184S Winchester was marie a separate circuit, with Rev. Wm. McGill as
first minister. The mission included all the township of Winchester and the
northern part of Williamsburg, with headquarters at Armstrong's Mills
(Chesterville). About this time the old log school house was built in Win-
chester and for many years was used as a place of worship by the Methodists
and other denominations.
Rev. McGill's successor in 1850 was Rev. David Hardie, who in turn was re-
placed by Rev. Robert Brewster, and during the pastorate of the latter the
first effort to build a church was made. Wilson Forth offered a lot free of
charge and a selection was made just east of the site of the old Presbyterian
church. Materials were placed on the ground, but before the work of building
began dissensions and it was finally decided to construct the church on
the west side of what is now St. Lawrence street, some distance south of the
present Public school lot. The materials were then hauled to that place and
other preparations made, but later the plans were rescinded and the first site
was re-chosen. The frame had been completed and the roof put on, but be-
fore it was all enclosed a great wind-storm passed along and left the church a
heap of ruins. The congregation continued to worship in the old log school
house and no further efforts towards building a church were made for some
From 1840 to 1850 the Methodist Episcopal body held regular services in
Winchester, being supplied by ministers stationed in Matilda. Meetings were
held afc the homes of Joseph Oass, Andrew Summers and George Fleming.
During the early fifties their ministers resided at Armstrong's Mills (Chester-
ville), and preached in the log school house to which we have previously allud-
ed. In 1857-8 the first church in Winchester was built by the Methodist Epis-
copal body. The trustees were: William Bow, David A. Summers, Rufus
Earl, John Brown and George Miilloy.
In the Wesleyan ranks the ministers after Rev. Brewster were Revs. Erastus
Hurlbert, William Pattyson, John Keirnon, with Mi 1 . Sherlock as assistant;
Andrew Armstrong, John Holmes, with W. G. Garnet as colleague; Edward
A. Ward, with assistants William Buchanan and Mr. Taylor. After the union
of Wesleyans and Methodist New Connexion, forming the Methodist
church of Canada, Rev. T. G. Williams, D.D., became superintendent, with
Rev. Wm. Pearson, of Newboro, as his colleague. In 1876 Rev. J. B. Saunders
and Rev. Samue,l Ellery were appointed, and in 1878 Rev. John Scan Ion was
superintendent, with Rev. George C. Poyser as his confrere. In 1878 Win-
BELIGIOUS LIFE 181
Chester was divided and two circuits formed, known as Chesterville and West
Winchester. Rev. John Wilson was the first minister sent to the latter cir-
cuit. He was succceeded in 1882 by Rev. W. J. Crothers. At the Methodist
Episcopal church, Winchester, ' the following ministers officiated: Rev.
Messrs. Lane, Hill, Davy, Brown, Williams, Wright, Hanson, McMullen, Sills, .
Bell, Osser, Robinson, Smith, Andrews, Caldwell, Brown, Manson, Woodcock* -
Hunt, Johnston, McAmmond, Phillips, Anderson, Graham, Cornell. After
West Winchester was set apart as a separate circuit the ministers were: Rev.
Thomas W. Mavety, 1878-81; Rev. William Serviss, 1881-3. .
In 1868, during the pastorate of Rev. John Holmes, the Wesleyan body
built the brick church which was dedicated January 1, 1869. The trustees
were: William Forth, Henry Mercill, Benjamin Bates, William Summers,
John Hughes, James Hughes and George Annable. In 1878 this church was
enlarged to nearly double its former capacity.
In 1881 the Methodist Episcopal body commenced the erection of the pres-
ent beautiful and commodious stone church, and in 1882 the Sabbath school
rooms were finished and occupied for service, but the main building was not
completed until four years later. In the meantime the union of the two
Methodist bodies took place, and it was then decided to complete and retain
the new church for the united body. This proposal was carried into "effect,
and on the first Sabbath of October, 1886, the new edifice was dedicated to the
service of God.
Since the union the pastors have been Rev. Messrs. Joseph M. Hagar, M.A.,
John Mavety, T. C. Brown, G. G-. Huxtable, Foster McAmmond, B.A., F. G.
Reynolds, S. J. Hughes, M.A., and Rev. David Winters.
The union of the two Methodist bodies in Winchester has worked most har-
moniously and the cause of Methodism has since continued to grow. In addi-
tion to the church in Winchester the charge now comprises a small church
five miles to the north of the village, known as Harmony Methodist church.
The Sunday schools on the circuit are four in number. The village congrega-
tion has one of the best Sunday school halls and set of class-rooms to be found.
The others are the Summers school, conducted by David E. Summers, sup-
erintendent; a school in the Walker neighborhood, with James Brown super
intendent, and another in the Melvin settlement, with Mr. Frith superintend,
ent. The several church societies, including Epworth League and Woman's
League, are loyally supported, while the contributions to missions and other
funds speak creditably for the congregations.
Rev. S. J. Hughes, M.A., late pastor of Winchester, was born near Windsor,
N.S. During the whole term of his ministry he has been connected with the
Montreal conference, having spent nine years in the eastern townships, P.Q.,
182 , THE STORY OP DUNDA8
and the last sixteen years in eastern Ontario on various circuits, comprising
Arnprior, Gananoque, Prescott, Ottawa, Perth and Winchester.
CHESTERVILLE METHODIST CIRCUIT
The Canada Methodist church, a stone building 60x40 feet, wa? erected quite
early in the sixties, its location being south of the present Public school build"
ing. The original trustees were: Joseph Alford, Thos. Fulton and James Ed"
gert n, sr.: while the ministers included William Patterson, John Howes,
Andrew Armstrong, John Holmes, Dr. Williams, Dr. Saunders, John Scanlon
and Q-. G. Huxtable. After the union of 1884 the church was torn down, the
stones crashed and placed on the streets of Chesterville.
The Episcopal Methodist church, a frame building, painted whire, was buil:
before 1850. It is still standing in the village and used as a furniture t< re.
Some of the ministers who preached in the old church were: Revs. J. Smith, J.
H. Andrews, W. E. Johnston and Thomas McAmmond. The brick church at
present used by the Methodists of Chesterville was built in 1873-4 and dedicat-
ed January 9, 1875, Rev. W. A Phillips being pastor at that time. Subse-
quent ministers were: Thomas Mavety, A. Anderson, Samuel Briggs, W. H.
Graham and A.H.Visser. This brings us to the unior, since which time the pas-
tors for the united congregations have been : G. G. Huxtable, H. W. Knowles,
John Ferguson, James Richardson, T. B. Conley, W. T. Smith, William Pear-
sou arid A. E. Sanderson.
MOKEWOOD METHODIST CHURCH
Ab ^ut the middle of last century Methodism obtained a footing in the More-
wood district, services being held in a typical old-time school house which
stood not far from what is now Cannamore. Early in 1849 a great revival was
held, a number were converted and a society of Methodists formed. Rev.
Win. Howse was one of the early preachers. Not many years passed before a
frame church was erected near the site of the present church, but the new
building was later destroyed by fire. About 1855 the Methodist Episcopal
minister carne to what is now Morewood and preached in a log school house,
which is still standing but used for other purposes. There a Sabbath school
was organized about 1863. Later a frame church was erected near the ceme-
tery, while about 1874 the fine brick church at North Winchester was built.
After the union of 1884 the Wesleyan and Episcopal bodies came together and
selected the brick church as their place of worship, the frame church being
afterwards removed to the Cambridge appointment. Rev. Mr. Beamish, the
present pastor of the Morewood circuit.is zealous in looking after the spiritual
interests of his three appointments, Morewood, Cambridge and Berwick.
SOUTH MOUNTAIN METHODIST CHURCH
The early Methodist meetings in this vicinity were held in the school house
northeast of the village. Among the officiating ministers were: Revs, Me-
RELIGIOUS LIFE 183
Ritchie, Philp, Ferguson and Stewart. About 1880 a wooden church was
constructed ; some names identified with the project were Edward and Will-
iam Gilroy, Joseph Smith, William Guernsey and Benjamin Storey. The
pastors have been as follows : 1864-5, Rev. Hugh McLean ; 1866-8, John
Howes ; 1869-71, Andrew Armstrong ; 1872-4, Jabez B. Saunders ; 1875-7, Sam-
uel Teeson, with assistants Martin J. Bates, John Webster, Thomas J. Mansell;
1878-9, William Rilance ; 1880, William Philp and John AI. Moore ; 1881,
William Philp, Mr. McCunn ; 1882, William Philp, D. V. McDowell ; 1883,
John Stewart ; 1884-6, John Ferguson ; 1887-9, T. B. Conley ; 1890-2, F. W. A.
Meyer ; 1893-5, A. E. Lidstone ; 1896-8, T. McAmmond ; 1899-01, Fred Tripp ;
1902, William Wells ; 1903, W. Wells, E. Robson ; 1904, Lewis Conley, Thos.
For a number of years this church was connected with Kemptville, but at
present South Mountain, Heckston, Mountain and Hallville constitute one
The present handsome brick church at South Mountain was constructed in
1892, at a cost of $4,500. The trustee board at that time included Charles Kob-
inson, Francis Stewart, Johii Ennis, WilJiam Barkley, Henry and Addison
Morehouse, William Grevel, Robert Mulholland, William Forrister, William,
Edmund, Gilbert and John Gilroy, Thomas Gray, Harold Soper. About five
years ago a brick parsonage, costing $3,300, was built.
The Mountain church is a frame building, erected a few years ago. During
the present summer (1904) it was rebuilt, rendering it a neat and commod-
ious church, the dedicatory services being held on Sunday, August 28th. For
many years service was regularly held in the Peter Smith school house, at the
western boundary of Mountain township. The Hallville church is a comfort,
able brick building. Small congregations are found at Mountain and Hall*
1NKKKMAN METHODIST CIRCUIT
Some years ago this district was supplied from Kemptville, which then em-
braced as associate charges Heckston, South Mountain, Vancainp and luker-
tnan. A change was effected in 1864 by which Inker man became part of the
South Mountain circuit. After the union of 1884 the Inkerman circuit as now
constituted was founded, including Inkerman, Va&canjp and Bigford's. In
1855 a frame church, 30x40 feet, was erected at Inkerm.m. Some of the early
church members were; Thomas Armstrong, Thomas Johnston, James Mulluy,
George Suffel, Mrs. N. Conway, Michael Barkley, William Guy, James N.
Johnston, Solomon Render, Mrs. John Renntck, Mrs. Henry Killough, H. M.
Barkley, Robert Corrigan, Peter Suffel, Nicholas Johnston, Edmud
Suffel and Richard Suffel. The present brick church, 56x40 feet, was
184 THE STORY OF DUNDAS
built in 1883, and dedicated the following year by Rev. W. Galbraith, and
the pastors, Rev. John Stewart and Rev. W. Barnett. This church cost 4,200,
is well and comfortably equipped, has a fine spire, also a first-class bell of
1,027 pounds, costing $325. In the year 1900 a parsonage, costing $2,300, was
erected at Inkerman. The interest taken in all branches of church work is
worthy of mention. Epworth League, Woman's Missionary, and Ladies' Aid
Societies are loyally supported. The Sabbath school was prganized in 1857.
The present officers are: Superintendent, E. Brown; Sec.-Treas., Mrs. L.M.Dur-