J. Smyth Carter.

The story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 online

. (page 17 of 40)
Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 17 of 40)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ant ; Librarian, T. Brown. The teachers are : G. Suffel, Mrs. G. Suffel, Mrs.
A. N. Barkley. Mrs. T. O. Keys, Mrs. J. Miller, Mrs. L. M. Durant, Miss
Edith Shaver, Miss Pearl Miller, Miss Violet Hall.

The first Methodist church at Vancamp was constructed nearly sixty years
ago. Some of the early church members were William and Reuben Sha,ver,
Elijah and John Vancamp, Simon Johnson, Robert Richardson. In 1881 the
present church was constructed. An excellent church society aids in the
work and subscribes one-third of the minister's salary each year. The Sunday
school is under the direction of Superintendent L. Mill ; Secretary, A. Will-
iams ; teachers, W. Shaver, Mrs. Render, Miss Rose, Miss Mulloy, L. Levere,
Mrs. Mill.

WINCHESTER SPRINGS METHODIST CIRCUIT.

This circuit embraces Elma, Winchester Springs and North Williamsburg.

The Elma church was built in 1872, at a cost of $4,000, to replace a church
which had stood for thirty years known as Becker's chapel. The history of
Methodism in this section of country covers a period of about seventy years.
At Elma is situated the parsonage,- a brick building, erected at a cost of '$2, 000.

The church at Winchester Springs was built in 1870, largely through the
efforts of Rev. Thomas McAmmond in the days previous to the union, when
that congregation was Methodist Episcopal.

The North Williamsburg Methodist church was formerly the property of
the Free Presbyterians and was purchased by the Methodist body in 1891.
The history of Methodism in North Williamsburg is unique. For many years
the congregation worshipped over the blacksmith shop of Ira Casselman.
The membership was then very small, but through the 'great revival efforts of
Eev. Thomas McAmmond a large -number were added to the church.

In 1902, under the ministry of Rev. A. E. Run n ells, the circuit was again
greatly revived. In six months one hundred and thirty -five were converted
to God. The present membership is 325; the minister's salary is $900; $300 is
annually paid to the cause of missions. At each church on this circuit Sab-
bath schools are well maintained; the superintendents are: Peter Droppo,



RELIGIOUS LIFB 185

Elma; Hutson Mclntosh, Winchester Springs; Bollo Shenette, North Wil-
liamsburg. Epworth League societies are supported at Elma and Winchester
Springs.

GRANTLEY METHODIST CIRCUIT

This circuit includes four appointments, Grantley and Hoasic in Dundas, and
Osnabruck Centre and North Valley in Stormont. The present pastor, Rev.
J. I. Hughes, resides at Osnabruck Centre.

The Grantley church a wooden structure built in 1882 during the pastorate
of Rev. A. G. Robertson, cost $1,600, the contractor being James A. Cunning-
ham. Among the early church members were Zacariah Robinson, Edward
Henderson, Alexander Drummond. In 1002 the sum of $550 was spent in a
thorough renovation of the edifice. The present trustees are: James 'Suther-
land, P. A. Casselman, Harvey Fader, Herman Shaver, William Kennedy,
Michael Becksted, James A. Cunningham. The Sabbath school was founded
in 1885. The present officers are: Superintendent, Mrs. Jordan Shaver; secre-
tary, Miss Sarah Fader; treasurer, Miss Lillie A. McEwen; librarian, Walter
Carr. An Epworth League is also maintained.

The Hoasic church was formerly the old Methodist church at Mariatown
and was purchased and moved to the former place in 1881. Among those
prominent in the undertaking were: J. R. Becksted, Luther Froats, David
Steel, Wm. Swerdfeger and George Wells. At first this church was attached
to Grantley circuit and later to that of Elma. At present the membership
does not exceed fifteen; no service is being held there this year.

NORTH WIUJAMSBURG PRESBYTERIAN CHARGE

In 1827 the Presbyterians and Lutherans together erected a church at
North Williamsburg. Among the early pastors were Joseph Johnston,
Robert Lyle, John Hickey (the first settled pastor), Th6mas Scott and John
Davidson. For nearly forty years this church was in use until at length each
congregation determined to build a separate and better place of worship, the
Presbyterians erecting in 1866 the present St. Andrews church. Connected
therewith is a brick manse and a glebe of several acres. Progress ai-d har-
mony went hand in hand until 1877 when owing to dissatisfaction with their
pastor, Rev. Davidson, a secession took place, the seceders holding meetings
in Ford's hall and Casselman's hall, North Williamsburg, and in the Lutheran
church, Bouck's Hill. In a few years an incident occurred which resulted in the
building of the "White church," now owned and occupied by the Methodists.
Upon the death of Florence Merkley, daughter of Joseph Merkley, the Luth-
eran minister, Dr. Somers, refused to give his church for the funeral service.
On the evening following the funeral the seceders gathered and resolved to
build & church. The sum of $800 was raised by subscription, the project was



186 THE STORY OF DUNDAS

soon under way, the new church was dedicated March 19, 1882, and as the
people were unable to decide on an apostolic name it was called the "White
church." In the list of pastors were found Rev. Kellog, now Dr. Kellog, of
Richmond, P. Q,; Rev. Bayne, now Dr. Bayne, of Pembroke; Robert Hunter,
late ol Toronto; Hugh Waddell, now of Aultsville, and Hugh Jack, now Dr.
Jack, of Peoria, U. S. A. In the meantime the Kirk church had been suffer-
ing a decrease of membership, and Mr, Davidson's death, February 2,1890, was
an additional loss to the congregation. Just three weeks previous to that
tince had occurred the death of Mrs. William Deeks, whose husband had been
chief promoter of the secession. Being unsuccessful in his efforts to secure a
minister to preach on that occasion Mr. Deeks finally invited Mr. Davidson to
officiate. True to his Christian spirit the latter consented and preached an
excellent sermon from the text, "We have here no abiding city, we seek one
to come." This incident was the first step towards bridging the chasm be-
tween the two factions. A. K. McLennan, a student who served the congrega-
tion for a time, also promoted the union and at length had the gratification
of seeing the two bodies fused into one harmonious whole. Students then
supplied the pulpit for a time, but on May 24, 1892, there dawned a better day
for the congregation with the ordination and induction of Rev. A. Graham,
now of Lancaster, Ont. Under his wise and energetic leadership the church
rose to the status of a self-sustaining charge. From 1895 to 1900 Rev. D. Mac-
Eachern, now of St. Paul's church, Sault Ste Marie, was resident pastor.

Winchester Springs church, the associate charge of North Williamsburg, be-
came united with the latter in 1880. This appointment, comprising about forty-
five families, is in a prosperous condition. The church is a neat frame building,
well equipped, with a seating capacity of 250.

Rev. William Angustus Mcllroy, late pastor of the North Williamsburg
parish, was born in Kingston, August 11, 1873, receiving his early education at
the Public schools and the Collegiate Institute there. In 1897 he graduated
from Queen's University with the degree of B. A., and in 1900 completed his
Divinity course and was president of Divinity Hall and valedictorian of his
year. He is also permanent president of his year in arts. As business mana-
ger of the university organ, the Queen's College Quarterly, he undertook the
work at a critical time and succeeded in placing the publication on a satis-
factory financial basis. As a student our subject was active and persevering
and at different intervals during his college course held lucrative posi-
tions with the Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Company. At the west end
mission, Deseronto, and at St. Andrews church, Tyendinaga reserve, his efforts
were fruitful, being successful in erecting a church at the latter place. He
was transferred from that mission to North Williamsbnrg, where during his
brief stay the membership increased, the church property was extensively



RELIGIOUS LIFE 187

improved and renovated and all debt removed therefrom. In August, 1904,
Mr. Mcllroy received a call to Stewarton Presbyterian church, where he was
inducted on September 2nd.

PKESBYTERIANISM IN MATILDA.

Prior to 1858 the Presbyterians of the township of Matilda were under the
pastoral care of the minister of Williamsburg, and attended public worship at
North Williamsburg as often as opportunity would allow. In 1858 they were
formed into a congregation by the Presbytery of Glengarry in connection
with the Church of Scotland. In that year a church was built at Dixon's
Corners, and services were regularly held there, at Haggarty's school house in
the 7th concession, and Pleasant Valley school house . The pastors were: Rev.
Thos. Scott, inducted Oct. 27, 1858, who ministered to the congregation until
1865 ; Rev. John S. Lochead, from the summer of 1886 to the close of 1868 ;
Rev. Geo. Porteous, from 1871 to 1877 ; Rev. James Mcllroy, from 1878 to
1886. Meanwhile in the southwest corner of Matilda a congregation was be-
ing formed under another branch of the Presbyterian family. Ministers of
the Canada Presbyterian church from Prescott, Spencerville and Cardinal,
occasionally preached in Iroquois. About 1874 a congregation was organized
and associated with Cardinal, the minister being Rev. Wm. McKibbin. In
1878 the union between Cardinal and Iroquois was severed and Iroquois united
with Knox church, Morrisburg. From 1878 to 1883 Rev. Hugh Taylor was the
minister, and from 1883 to 1885 Rev. G. D. Bayne. In 1855 a new departure
was made by act of the Presbytery of Brockville under whose jurisdiction
these congregations had come. The union between Morrisburg and Iroquois
was severed. The Matilda congregation was broken up ; the section worship-
ping at Haggarty's being handed over to the congregation at Winchester
Springs, while Pleasant Valley became connected with South Mountain.
Then Iroquois and Dixon's Corners were united and constituted a pastoral
charge. In 1887 the Rev. J. M. Macalister was inducted as pastor, and at
date of writing (1904) still ministers with much acceptance to the united con-
gregations.

HALLVILLE AND OSGOODE LINK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCHES

About 1846 a church (Old Kirk) was built near Hallville, the first recoilar
minister being Rev. Joseph Anderson. For many years this church was as-
sociated with that of Heckston, and later South Mountain was annexed. The
present stone church, commonly known as the Hyndman church, was built in
1880. A few years later a brick manse was built.

In early days Rev. Dr. Boyd, of Prescott, came back to preach in a school
house at Reid's Mills, most of the congregation being adherents of the "Free
Kirk." Dr. Boyd travelled on horseback from one rural charge to another in



188 THE STORY OF DT7NDA8

that district. In 1852 a log church was built. After many years this vener-
able edifice was claplx>arded, painted, and thereafter called the "white
church." The pastor at that period was Bev. Mr. McDowall, of Kemptville.
Others were Revs. Mackenzie, Pullar and Leishman. In 1901 the congrega-
tion erected a splendid brick church, which was formally opened Oct. 27th of
that year. On the last Sabbath of July, 1902, the final leave-taking of the old
church was marked by a semi-centennial jubilee. Rev. Dr. Stewart, of Pres-
cott, preached on that occasion. For some time Reid's Mills (Osgoode Line)
church was worked in connection with Kemptville and South Gower, but
about 1884 its present association with the Hyndman church wag organized.
Among the pastors were: Rev. Hugh Cameron, 1886-88 ; Rev. J. H. Higgins,
and Rev. Wm. McDonald, who now ministers to the congregations.

KNOX (PRESBYTERIAN) CHURCH, MORRISBURO

Prior to the union of the several branches of the Presbyterian church in
Canada there was no Presbyterian organization in Morrisburg. For some
time before that, however, services were more or less regularly conducted by
neighboring ministers. In 1823 Rev. Wm. Johnston, and in 1828 Rev. Robt.
Lyle, both of Osnabruck, officiated in Williamsburg, the latter succeeding in
building a church. The Rev. James Thorn preached for some time on Sab-
bath evenings in the old Methodist church. From 1865 to 1875 services were
held in what was then the "new school house," now one of the Public school
buildings. The Sabbath school in connection with the congregation was or-
ganized by the Rev. James Quinn in 1865. In 1867 Rev. John Davidson, pas-
tor of North Williamsburg, began to furnish regular supply and for some
years preached in the school house on Sabbath afternoons . Shortly after the
union, in June, 1875, the congregation was formally organized by the Presby-
tery of Brockville, and was given the name of Knox church. In the same
year the place of meeting was changed from the school house to a hall in the
Meikle block. Thirty -/^ix names constituted the first roll of communicants,
fourteen of these are still (Nov., 1903) connected with the congregation ; four-
teen have died, and eight have moved to other localities. Another change
occurred in 1877, when the congregation united with that of Iroquois. In
Aug., 1878, a call was extended to Hugh Taylor, and on Sept. 3rd of
that year he was ordained and inducted the first settled pastor, the ordina-
tion service being held in the Lutheran church, Morrisburg. In 1879 the pres-
ent church building in Morrisburg was erected, at a cost of $6,500, and on
March 21, 1880, it was opened by the late Rev. O. M. Grant, principal of
Queen's University. Rev. Hugh Taylor remained in charge till the early part
of Feb., 1883, when he was translated to Pakenham. In September of that
year the Rev. G. Dunlop Bayne was appointed over the united congregations.
In 1886 as each congregation bad increased it was decided to separate, and



RELIGIOUS LIFE 189

Morrisburg became self-sustaining, with Mr. Bayne as pastor. In Dec., 1877,
Mr. Bayne was called to Pembroke, and in July, 1888, the Rev. H. Cameron
was called from Watford to fill the vacancy. In August of that year Mr. Cam-
eron was inducted, and is still in charge. In 1889 the tower of the church
was completed and the spire erected, and in Aug., 1902, a fine pipe organ was
installed, There are at present seventy families and 140 communicants in
connection with Knox church.

ST. PAUL'S (PRESBYTERIAN) CHURCH, WINCHESTER

St. Paul's Church has for almost half a century occupied a prominent place
in the religious life of not only Winchester and immediate vicinity, but
throughout the whole surrounding district. In fact many charges, healthy
and strong to-day, owe their birth to the zeal and missionary spirit of the
men who have occupied the pulpit of this church. Duubar, Chesterville,
Morewood and Chrysler have been nurtured under the fostering
care of St. Paul's. The first services under Presbyterian auspices were held
in Winchester in the year 1857 by James Thorn, a catechist. The school
house was the place of worship, but before long it proved too small, and then
the barn of John Christie was chosen in its stead. Mr. Kennedy supplied
gospel ordinances from 185S for a few years, and the beginning of a perman-
ent cause was made. A congregation was gathered, and the energies of the
people were directed toward the erection of a suitable church. The old white
church, the home of the congregation until 1896, was begun in 1858,
and completed in 1860. It was erected on a site donated by John Christie.
It was in 1860 that the congregation was regularly organized, with Rev. Win.
Bennett as minister, and Robert Robinson, Alexander Ross, sr., and Geo. John-
ston, elders. Of these the only surviving elder is Mr. Johnston, who was also a
member of the first building committee. In 1871 Rev. Andrew Rowat became
pastor, and for thirteen years labored successfully. During that time the
congregation was enlarged and consolidated. Rev. Dr. Moffat, the next pas-
tor, was inducted Aug. 19, 1884. Between the pastorates of Rev. Rowat and
Dr. Moffat Morewood and Chrysler were separated, and Winchester under-
took to support gospel ordinances alone. It was at this critical period of its
history that Dr. Moffat assumed charge of the congregation. The wisdom of
the separation was much questioned. The failure of the new arrangement was
predicted by some, and with the perversity of human nature they sought to
accomplish what they pretended to fear. But in Dr. Moffat both the congre-
gation and the Presbytery found a man well skilled in Presbyterian polity,
and scrupulously exact in all the work of the church. Rev. M. H. Scott, now
of Zion church, Hull, was the next pastor. Inducted in 1890 he labored for
nearly four years. It was in truth the "growing time " for the congregation.
The communion roll was doubled, the missionary givings largely increased,



190 THB STORY OF DtJNDAS

the decision to erect a new church was reached, a site chosen, and about $1.000
collected as the neucleus of a building fund. Mr. Scott was followed by Rev.
D. G. 8. Connery, who was inducted on Aug. 25, 1893. The untiring zeal and
energy of the parishioners found expression under his energetic leadership.
The beautiful church was built at a cost of $16,000, and dedicated in June,
1895. In the work of building he was loyally supported by a progressive
building committee, of which the late John Rowat was chairman, D. F. Suth-
erland secretary, and Alexander Ross, jr., treasurer. The present pastor,
Rev. B. S. Logie, was called from Pakenham and inducted Aug. 31, 1899.

During the past four years ninety members have been added to the roll of
St. Paul's, the contributions for the schemes increased from $287 to $473, a
debt of $4,000 on the building has been paid, a manse purchased at a cost of
$2,800, and a pipe organ, costing $l,600,installed.

CHESTERVILLE PRESBTTERIAN CHURCH

The first preaching enjoyed by Chesterville Presbyterians was by
some Old Kirk ministers from Williamsburg, among whom was a Rev.
Dickey, who used to ride in on horseback. This would be about or shortly
previous to the middle of last century. The next regular ministry was supplied
by Rev. Quinn, an Irishman, who had previously served the Woodlands con-
gregation, Osnabruck. Mr.Quinn was a man of good education and varied ac-
complishments. He owned considerable land, understood farming, and could
draw up a legal document off-hand. At that time the Morewood Presbyter-
ians worshipped with the congregation at Chesterville, the place of meeting
being an old store near the present residence of J. Gillespie. During Mr.
Quinn's pastorate an effort was made to erect a church at Chesterville. Some
material was procured and the site selected, but friction between the
two congregations led to Mr. Quinn's removal to Kemptville and the building
scheme fell through; the stones which were to form the foundation of the
clmrch now compose the cellar wall of J. C. Casselman's house.

In its earliest church relations Chesterville was associated with the Mont-
real Presbytery, and for some time after Mr. Quinn's removal students and
others ministered to the congregation. Among these were: Mr. Thorn, Mr.
McMechan, now of Port Hope; Mr. Fenwick, later of Metis, Que.; Mr. Strauss,
a Dutchman; Mi-. McKercher, W. Tate and Mr. Kirkland. After these a
young man, who later became a D. D., but whose name cannot be recalled^
preached with much acceptance in Chesterville, Winchester, and at a, grove in
the Thorn settlement. It is said that while crossing the Nation in a boat he
fell into the river and contracted a cold from which he never fully recovered.
A Mr. Ferguson, who was not ordained to the ministry, preached in Chester-
vilJe as well as in Gray's.Toy's and Haggarty's school houses. At Chesterville
service was conducted in Stallmeyer's hall, which stood north of what is now



RELIGIOUS LIFK 191

Flynn's hotel. After preaching for a time Mr. Ferguson received the appoint-
ment of Inspector of Schools for Dundas county.

Mr. Kennedy was another minister who left his impress upon the Chester-
ville community. One of his converts was Joseph Johnston, an hotelkeeper,
who confirmed the sincerity of his faith by emptying the contents of his bar-
room on the street. Mr. Johnston is now a resident of Richmond city,
N. Y. Mr. Kennedy possessed some literary ability. He wrote tracts and
published a little paper called the "Evangelizer." This brings us to 1880,about
the time Rev. G. D. Bayne, a student of the Montreal Presbyterian College,
began his labors in Chesterville, meetings being held in the Town Hall.
At that time Mr. Bayne was supplying Dunbar and Colquhoun for Rev. T A.
Nelson, who was about to be inducted.

Rev. Sutherland, who for one summer served Chesterville, Winchester
Springs and North Williamsburg, revived Mr.Quinn's idea of building a church,
but Rev. J. P. Grant proved to be the Solomon who carried out the project.
Mr, Grant, like Mr. Nelson, was pastor of Dunbar and Colquhoun, with which
charge Chesterville became connected under the Brockville Presbytery. The
names of Rev, McFarlane, formerly of South Mountain,and Rev. McNaughton,
now of Marcellus,N.Y.,are held in esteem by the Chesterville congregation for
valued services rendered at certain intervals. Finally Chesterville was de-
tached from Dunbar and Colquhoun, and with Morewood formed a circuit,
the pastor being Rev. Shearer. His successor was Rev. Gloag, who had
been a Congregationalist in the old country, but upon coming to Canada join-
ed the Presbyterians. Mr. Gloag was honored in his succession by Rev. J.
M. Kellock, who for five years ministered with diligence to the heavy charge
of Morewood and Chesterville. In 1900 the circuit was divided, each appoint-
ment becoming a separate charge.

Rev. A. Russell, who in 1900 accepted a call to Chesterville, was born in Pon-
tiac county, Que. He taught school three years in his native Province,enter-
ed the University of McGill in 1887, graduating in 1891, studied theology at
the Montreal Presbyterian College, and after completing his course was or-
dained and inducted in June, 1893, in to the charge of Lunenburg and Newington,
Stormont county, where he was permitted to enjoy a fruitful ministry for
seven and a half years, at the conclusion of which time he ?ame to Chester-
ville.

MOREWOOD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, NORTH WINCHESTER

The early services at this charge were held in the barn of James Kyle, a
hall known as the "Ark," belonging to Joseph S. Kyle, sr., the house of A.
Smirl, and a log school house at Cannamore. Some of the early ministers
were Revs. Dickey, Quinn, Bennet and Goodwilly, while the early members
included James Kyle, John F. Hunter, Thomas E. Coulthart, James Coult-



192 THE STORY OP DUNDA8

hart, Thomas, David and William Moffat, William Hepburn, 0. McCormick,
Alex. McKay, James Fraser, W. J. Kyle, William Carruthers. In 1870 the
present stone church was erected by Joseph S. Kyle on the farm of
James Fraser. Among the pastors since then were Revs. Rowat, Pooler,
Shearer, Globe, Kellock,and the present incumbent, Rev. Donald Stewart.

SOUTH MOUNTAIN PRESBYTERIAN CIRCUIT

South Mountain circuit embraces two associate appointments, Pleasant
Valley and Heckston. Ministers on this charge have been Revs. Henderson,
Me Williams, McFarlane, McLeod and the newly inducted pastor, Rev. Fergu-
son. In 1881 the brick church at South Mountain was erected at a cost of
$3,000. Among the promoters were: John Johnston, Charles Delzell, James
Mulbolland, James Blow, Samuel Beggs, Robert Blow, Robert, Kenneth and
James Graham, James Gochrane, and James Walker, The Pleasant Valley
church is a neat frame structure, built about five years ago, at a cost of $2,800.
Previous to that time services were held in the brick school house.

DUNBAR AND COLQUHOUN CHARGE (PRESBYTERIAN)

The congregation at Golquhoun was organized by Rev. John Charles Quinn
about 1856, and worship was held in private houses until a brick church was
constructed, Mr, Quinn had been sent out by the Free Church of Scotland
to organize congregations and build churches, although he often performed
regular pastoral work. The trustees of the church in 1857 were Alex. Far*
linger, Alex. Colquhoun, Samuel Kyle and Jacob Myers. Previous to the or-
dination of the local elders Mr. Quinn had associated with him Mr. Martin, of
Lunenburgh, James Kyle,of Morewood,and Donald Mclntyre.of Finch. Later
Thos. Archer.Alex.Colquhoun and Jacob Myers were ordained elders. In 1887
the present frame church was built at a cost of $3,200. It is situated on lot 7,
concession 4, Williamsburg, on the site of the old brick church. Previous to



Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 17 of 40)